Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for TMay from ConHome – nearly two thirds of members

Comments

• Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

"The DUP wants a sensible deal which our MPs can support in the House. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to work towards that.

The third paragraph makes my point
    Be very clear about the addendum, it says very clearly, that no further clarifications or commitments will be entered into. There is no "coming weeks". There is Thursday and that is all.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888
    The real tragedy is that the Apprentice interviews have been delayed for the news. I would have liked to have seen a mashup between the two, perhaps Claude eviscerating May and Corbyn in an interview?
  • Options
    Not sure whether the spread betting figures on the No Confidence Vote have been reported here but a few minutes ago when Sporting suspended its market, its spread on Tory MPs voting No Confidence in May was 108 - 115. At the mid-spread level, this therefore represented almost exactly a 35% vote of MPs wishing to see her removed. Doubtless she would survive with such a result. That said a slightly less favourable 60% - 40% vote vote in her favour would be somewhat trickier for her.
  • Options

The Apprentice episode might be cancelled...that be sure to piss a lot of people off.

With the woeful quality of the candidates, cancelling it is a blessing. We don't need to see them on screen ever again.
    I rarely watch tv, but I hear they make Katie Hopkins era look like a golden age.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The alternative being? It's not rocket science, if they keep her on she is highly likely to lead them in the next election if it happens ahead of schedule (which seems very likely) because there'd be no way to get a new leader in place.

Since the consensus is that she's going to win with room to spare, I'm going to predict that they vote her out.

She's a weak leader of an incompetent Government. They saddle themselves with her now and they're stuck with her in the event of a snap election, which has to be factored in as a distinct possibility. Especially given the extreme tension between her stubborn commitment to her EU deal and her relationship with the DUP, and also the non-negligible possibility that some of the hotter sort of Brexiteers might resign from the party and help no confidence the Government if she tries to do an even softer deal that is not to their liking.

There's doubtless no shortage of MPs (for which, read virtually all of them) who think they could do a better job, and amongst those with no realistic leadership ambitions there could still be thoughts of propelling a favoured candidate into position, and of their own survival in the event of another election taking place. True, some MPs may also be worried that they'll end up with someone even worse, but the Parliamentary Conservative Party has the power to filter candidates before they go off to the membership, and the ERG on its own doesn't have anywhere close to the number of votes needed to guarantee a candidate makes the run-off. One would therefore assume that the Tory Corbyn Prevention Mechanism will do its job, and there is no realistic prospect of someone like JRM or Boris getting through.

The main impulse staying the hands of many MPs will presumably be the fear that the eventual winner of the contest might end up having to countenance No Deal to secure the backing of party members. However, if they aren't prepared to break with their party and form a compact with Opposition MPs to avert Brexit, and they can't or won't back either the Deal or Remain because of their aforementioned difficulties with the DUP and their own Brexit ultras (not to mention the 2017 manifesto,) then they are frankly better off with at least having some direction - any direction - to go in as a single unit, even if they think it is the wrong one, than to go on being rudderless and drifting. Because having a lemon sat uselessly in Downing St whilst the clock runs down would just lead them to No Deal by default anyway.
    I know, I know. She's probably going to pick up about 250 endorsements and romp to victory now, isn't she? This is why I normally only bet once-a-year on the Grand National (although I have managed to get it right occasionally: Neptune Collonges was a nice little earner.)
    Very well said.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Pro_Rata said:

Off topic: Transpennine fun #145.

Choice at Manchester of 2 Newcastle bound trains that arrived on adjacent platforms within 1 minute of each other. I caught the first arrival rather than the earlier scheduled, obviously the other one then got first signals.

Now been told this train is terminating at Stalybridge due to a bird strike.

Sort of glad I didn't place any bets today.

"Due to a bird strike"? Are Northern running the M-497 now?
  • Options

May is toxic and members know it. She was a disaster in the GE; her Brexit is woeful; she has totally abandoned domestic policy; she’s a control freak who has surrounded herself with yes-men and failed to build a consensus within her own party let alone the country; she has betrayed her own allies in the DUP and if she stays she’ll ensure end up with a Corbyn Gov. MPs should do their duty by their constituents and ditch her.

The problem for the Tories is the ERG, Johnson and Rees-Mogg are even more Toxic. The Tories are driving toward a brick wall whatever they do.

On a separate point, why do you go on about Corbyn being a threat to the economy yet deny a Hard Brexit would not be a problem? In reality both are a serious economic threat!
    That’s never been tested but Johnson and JRM wouldn’t win a leadership contest. Raab might and so might Mordaunt or a more sensible Remainer than toxic extremists like Soubry, Morgan etc.
  • Options

"The DUP wants a sensible deal which our MPs can support in the House. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to work towards that.

Be very clear about the addendum, it says very clearly, that no further clarifications or commitments will be entered into. There is no "coming weeks". There is Thursday and that is all.
    Sorry we are at crossed purposes. I was referring to Arlene Fosters comments today
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,368

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

So what was all the fuss about all this time then!?

Prepare to be underwhelmed. It needs to sway the DUP, who hate to back down.
    It won't. The EUCO draft is

* not legally binding, only 'best-effort' commitments.
    * makes no changes to the WA, and explicitly AFFIRMS the WA
    * says nothing about Northern Ireland
    * requires the UK govt to take the EU's word on trust.

It's an absolute catastrofuck that confirms all the worst expectations of, well, everyone about the futility of this effort.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1072906967625150471
    This is the draft that is being discussed at the council over the next two days so why not wait and see the final version. The secret is in the name 'draft'
    Will wording changes make it any more legally binding?
    Of course not. I'm not sure how many more ways the EU can find to say THE WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT IS FINAL. May's obviously a bit slow.
    And any Tory MPs swayed by this to vote to keep May must still believe in Father Christmas.
    In a rational world (I recommend taking a visit some time), whatever the EU thinks of the agreement has nothing to do with the personality of our Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

The real tragedy is that the Apprentice interviews have been delayed for the news. I would have liked to have seen a mashup between the two, perhaps Claude eviscerating May and Corbyn in an interview?

Claude would make an incredible Leader of the Opposition. Imagine him with 6 questions to the PM each week.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Meh, anyone who self selects for a Conhome survey isn't going to be representative. I'm a member and tbh, I'd probably want my MP (if we had a Tory in Hampstead) to vote for confidence. I don't think she should be allowed to run another campaign, but wrt brexit, the deal is better than no brexit or no deal and nothing else is on the table.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Claude would make an incredible Leader of the Opposition. Imagine him with 6 questions to the PM each week.
    All those with dodgy claims on their CVs would be in a world of trouble.
  • Options

Sorry we are at crossed purposes. I was referring to Arlene Fosters comments today
    Arlene is still pretending that May will be able to get the Withdrawal Agreement changed. I think we all know that she cannot believe that, so what's her game?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    I started the day quite cross with all of this nonsense and indicating that if I was a Tory MP I would vote for May through gritted teeth. I have spent far too long in the car today listening to the radio. I regret to say that those who have argued that May is delusional, that she is persisting with a deal that can’t pass the Commons , that some other way forward must be found and it is just not going to come from her have seemed more and more persuasive as the day has gone on.

I of course don’t have a vote but if my experience is mirrored by those that do this could prove to be a lot closer than is currently being suggested.
  • Options

May is toxic and members know it. She was a disaster in the GE; her Brexit is woeful; she has totally abandoned domestic policy; she’s a control freak who has surrounded herself with yes-men and failed to build a consensus within her own party let alone the country; she has betrayed her own allies in the DUP and if she stays she’ll ensure end up with a Corbyn Gov. MPs should do their duty by their constituents and ditch her.

It is not going to happen - tonight is their one and only chance
    Depends how many vote against her. I’ve always said she’ll win but 100+ against and her position would be untenable.
  • Options

That makes the point they're going to continue to work for a new deal which can be supported. Not that they support May as is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Arlene is still pretending that May will be able to get the Withdrawal Agreement changed. I think we all know that she cannot believe that, so what's her game?
    Making it very clear May's failure forces her hand, not that the DUP abandoned the pact with the Tories lightly.
  • Options

The problem for the Tories is the ERG, Johnson and Rees-Mogg are even more Toxic. The Tories are driving toward a brick wall whatever they do.

On a separate point, why do you go on about Corbyn being a threat to the economy yet deny a Hard Brexit would not be a problem? In reality both are a serious economic threat!
    That’s never been tested but Johnson and JRM wouldn’t win a leadership contest. Raab might and so might Mordaunt or a more sensible Remainer than toxic extremists like Soubry, Morgan etc.
    At least you recognise the former. I hope fellow PB'ers have been making the most of the tremendous laying opportunities that these two have offered us this year.
  • Options

Depends how many vote against her. I’ve always said she’ll win but 100+ against and her position would be untenable.
    Her position has been untenable since the Summer.

But here she is, still ten-ing.
  • Options

Sorry - it wont
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

May's premiership might have hit the buffers rather quickly, but these guys are doing even worse...

Eleven Sports, a streaming service that aimed to become the "Netflix of sport", is at risk of closure after only four months, following its failure to secure distribution via established pay-TV operators and amid concern over mounting losses.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt that Eleven Sports is considering pulling the plug on its UK operation after the mixed martial arts competition UFC triggered an exit clause on its exclusive deal, which was due to begin in January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/12/12/netflix-sport-streaming-service-eleven-sports-risk-closure/

Best news all year.
  • Options

My best guess is in the region of 200-100
  • Options

DavidL said:

Can I suggest my daughter's cat Cinnamon for PM. This is a cat who plans ahead, who can undertake complex tasks such as getting bags of treats from high level closed cupboards, who understands the consequences of his actions so that he proceeds to hide those bags of treats for later consumption when he is less likely to be troubled and who fully appreciates that when someone leaves a seat they leave some warmth that can be utilised if you move quickly.

I can’t recall when I last saw evidence of such clear thinking at Westminster. Possibly during the Coalition.

Sorry - overqualified.

And besides, Cinnamon sounds forrin. Never do old boy. Wrong sort, eh what?
    I get the over qualified point but I am reasonably sure Cinnamon is as British as they come.
  • Options

Too much guessing and hoping. Why not wait
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Fenster said:

Whatever the ConHome want, safe bet is to do the opposite.

The Daily Mail Comments Section Front.

They are as mental as the 500k new Labour members.

What a twat you are , describing people you disagree with in that way.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

My best guess is in the region of 200-100
    Hope you are right - and that I am if it’s less than 159 but more than 100
  • Options
    Alexander Clarkson (@APHClarkson) Tweeted:
    Brexit is on an elite level driven by a fear of being normal in the way former empires like Sweden or the Netherlands are normal https://t.co/pTtIeuVJ2v https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/1072920077417230336?s=17
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Hard Brexiteers model there vision of the nation on Canada.
    Corbyn models his vision of the nation on Venezuela.

Only one is a serious economic threat.
    Yes a model or in this context a fantasy is one thing. In the real world if you administer a shock to an economy it will react.

A Hard Brexit is the equivalent of a country putting sanctions on its own economy. Sanctions cause economic decline, this is why we impose them on other countries. Brexit is the equivalent of putting sanctions on 45% of our trade, with no new trade deals to stimulate activity elsewhere.

Brexit is as realistic economically as a Government announcing we will send machines to an estimated $10 Trillion asteroid to mine platinum or Gold and sell it on the world market. Theoretically, it is sound and maybe even possible. Realistically it is very hard to see it being successful - Brexit is a pipe dream of people who seem to be sick of reality and prefer delusion....
  • Options
    Michael Crick (@MichaelLCrick) Tweeted:
    The lists suggest about a third of Tory MPs have now voted https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1072918939636809729?s=17
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018

Sorry - it wont

We’ll see. You will be sorry if you are right and so will I
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 949
    rpjs said:

Pro_Rata said:

Choice at Manchester of 2 Newcastle bound trains that arrived on adjacent platforms within 1 minute of each other. I caught the first arrival rather than the earlier scheduled, obviously the other one then got first signals.

Makes a change from the staff being on strike!
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The alternative being? It's not rocket science, if they keep her on she is highly likely to lead them in the next election if it happens ahead of schedule (which seems very likely) because there'd be no way to get a new leader in place.

Since the consensus is that she's going to win with room to spare, I'm going to predict that they vote her out.

The public endorsements have me questioning my own prediction that she will lose, but it would be shocking to me if she didn't. Another election is very likely, particularly if her deal is approved, and they won't want her leading them then. And if her deal is, as is likely, not passed, then what is she even there for? Keeping her only delays further hard choices they need to make.
    All things being equal she would lose, but all things are not equal.
  • Options

That makes the point they're going to continue to work for a new deal which can be supported. Not that they support May as is.
    TM has recognised it is not TM as is.
  • Options

In office but not in power.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited December 2018
    tlg86 said:

May's premiership might have hit the buffers rather quickly, but these guys are doing even worse...

Eleven Sports, a streaming service that aimed to become the "Netflix of sport", is at risk of closure after only four months, following its failure to secure distribution via established pay-TV operators and amid concern over mounting losses.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt that Eleven Sports is considering pulling the plug on its UK operation after the mixed martial arts competition UFC triggered an exit clause on its exclusive deal, which was due to begin in January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/12/12/netflix-sport-streaming-service-eleven-sports-risk-closure/

Best news all year.
    I took their free trial, it was shocking.

They tried to blame by broadband for being slow, my speed tests show I regularly get over 200 Mbps.

They then tried to blame my MacBook, said it had 16GB Ram.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fuck me, if Con MP waverers fall for that then they deserve any and all insults that get thrown their way.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Ave it says:

May 210
    Not May 105

Approx. Which is just good enough
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Fuck me, if Con MP waverers fall for that then they deserve any and all insults that get thrown their way.
    She's told them it is as realistic as their technical solution to solve the Irish Border issue.
  • Options

Because no-one else's position would be any more tenable.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Don't worry, they are apparently the most sophisticated electorate in the world.
  • Options

Well, as I've mentioned below, Sporting had ~ 112 MPs voting against her, comfortably above the 100 threshold it is being suggested would be toxic for her. Also, her offer to resign once Brexit has been achieved suggest she is far less confident of winning the vote this evening than those 1/10 odds in her favour suggest.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    kle4 said:

Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

So what was all the fuss about all this time then!?

Prepare to be underwhelmed. It needs to sway the DUP, who hate to back down.
    It won't. The EUCO draft is

* not legally binding, only 'best-effort' commitments.
    * makes no changes to the WA, and explicitly AFFIRMS the WA
    * says nothing about Northern Ireland
    * requires the UK govt to take the EU's word on trust.

It's an absolute catastrofuck that confirms all the worst expectations of, well, everyone about the futility of this effort.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1072906967625150471
    This is the draft that is being discussed at the council over the next two days so why not wait and see the final version. The secret is in the name 'draft'
    In the EU, the conclusions are written before the meeting.
    That is true of most meetings.
    Ha! Quite.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Ave_it said:

Ave it says:

May 210
    Not May 105

I think:

May 150
    Not May 165
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2018

tlg86 said:

Best news all year.

They tried to blame by broadband for being slow, my speed tests show I regularly get over 200 Mbps.

Surely there are white label solutions for these kind of streaming services these days? Also, they already had a business doing this before they entered the UK market.
  • Options

Yes a model or in this context a fantasy is one thing. In the real world if you administer a shock to an economy it will react.

A Hard Brexit is the equivalent of a country putting sanctions on its own economy. Sanctions cause economic decline, this is why we impose them on other countries. Brexit is the equivalent of putting sanctions on 45% of our trade, with no new trade deals to stimulate activity elsewhere.

Brexit is as realistic economically as a Government announcing we will send machines to an estimated $10 Trillion asteroid to mine platinum or Gold and sell it on the world market. Theoretically, it is sound and maybe even possible. Realistically it is very hard to see it being successful - Brexit is a pipe dream of people who seem to be sick of reality and prefer delusion....
    Indeed, sometimes shocks can be good, sometimes shocks can be bad. The idea that shocks are negative only or positive only are both absurd.

A hard Brexit is not the equivalent of sanctions.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Ave_it said:

Ave it says:

May 210
    Not May 105

I think:

May 150
    Not May 165
    I'm thinking May c180, Not May c120. Would that be enough to cling on?
  • Options

Good. The utter state of the PGA Championship - I have Virgin cable with ‘all’ sports channels yet had to pay to watch the bloody thing on a laptop! They rinsed me for £5.99 even though it was supposed to be a free trial.
  • Options

" Untenable " is a reality based concept. In this post 2016 Anglo-American experiment with post-modern election results it's in abeyance for a while. But as an old lecturer said " You can deconstruct a red light but you'll still eventually crash if you drive through enough of them. "
  • Options
    Shame OGH isn't able to do a prediction competition for this, could be fun.

May 182
    Not May 135

Terrible result for everyone. May limps on, in office but not in power or respected. Rebels fail to oust her but inflict a humiliating blow. All this mess limbers on.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:
    Will there be calls for a rerun of the vote if she has misled them? ;-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited December 2018

tlg86 said:

Best news all year.

Surely there are white label solutions for these kind of streaming services these days? Also, they already had a business doing this before they entered the UK market.
    IIRC their overseas operations were linear channels based, here they started off as a streaming service.

One La Liga match I watched, the pictures were 20 mins behind real events, but the commentary was not, but actually on time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Voters as a whole though want May to stay 40% to 30% and Tory voters by 58% to 28% even if Tory members do not

https://mobile.twitter.com/YouGov/status/1072882952059674624/photo/1
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Best news all year.

IIRC their overseas operations were linear channels based, here they started off as a streaming service.

One La Liga match I watched, the pictures were 20 mins behind real events, but the commentary was not, but actually on time.
    There is no excuse for that these days, even the pirates broadcast reliable 1080p streams.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Go on then.161-156 for May. Wins, will try to stay , but will have to go.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    edited December 2018

Well, as I've mentioned below, Sporting had ~ 112 MPs voting against her, comfortably above the 100 threshold it is being suggested would be toxic for her. Also, her offer to resign once Brexit has been achieved suggest she is far less confident of winning the vote this evening than those 1/10 odds in her favour suggest.
    200 makes her safe. Below 180 everything kicks off even if she vows to carry on. The opposition parties despite Vince's comment today would round on a lame duck leader and that's before you get to the Tories

Edit and comparisons to Corbyn are futile. He's LOTO and anyway Corbynism is a belief set.
  • Options
    Anazina said:

Good. The utter state of the PGA Championship - I have Virgin cable with ‘all’ sports channels yet had to pay to watch the bloody thing on a laptop! They rinsed me for £5.99 even though it was supposed to be a free trial.
    Isn't there a round of the Premier League coming up soon that will be broadcast on Amazon Prime?

Not sure what that means for those who watch it at home or in pubs normally.
  • Options
    Craig Mackinlay, back from his election expenses trial at Southwark Crown Court, where the jury are still deliberating, has just voted https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1072918641602109440?s=17
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    theProle said:

rpjs said:

Pro_Rata said:

Makes a change from the staff being on strike!
    Different franchise, faster nicer trains (not M-497 fast), but same tracks, same delays.

A replacement train was waiting for us, which was OK, lost about 15 minutes in all.
  • Options

Indeed, sometimes shocks can be good, sometimes shocks can be bad. The idea that shocks are negative only or positive only are both absurd.

Brexit will impede economic activity in a similar way as it constricts the economy.

It is all very well you saying some shocks are good as long as someone else is paying the price!
  • Options

Chameleon said:
    Can't be. 12 month rule.

MPs should take into account she's a known compulsive liar, but probably will hear whatever they want to hear.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888
    edited December 2018
    May 164
    Not May 151

For me, not least because it would be 52/48. But yes, almost whatever this is going to be a pretty terrible result for the country, taking 'in office but not in power' to whole new levels.

MPs have nothing to gain by voting for May, but not publicly declaring for her, so I expect the votes for to be below the public supporter numbers.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Anazina said:

Isn't there a round of the Premier League coming up soon that will be broadcast on Amazon Prime?

Amazon need to bloody sort out their coverage. The NFL coverage is good (because it is just a restream of the US TV coverage), but the tennis was absolutely shocking. Hard to find, cameras on outside courts not able to see the player at the nearest baseline and the commentary sounded like two bored blokes watching it from their garage.
  • Options
    One for the procedure geeks:

If Corbyn were to decide to table an FTPA-compliant VONC, how quickly would it be voted on?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2018
    May 168 Opponents 149
  • Options

May 182
    Not May 135

Terrible result for everyone. May limps on, in office but not in power or respected. Rebels fail to oust her but inflict a humiliating blow. All this mess limbers on.

I think a vote like that and she would have to go. Anything under 200 for her would be fatal imo.
  • Options

Chameleon said:
    Can't be. 12 month rule.

MPs should take into account she's a known compulsive liar, but probably will hear whatever they want to hear.
    I know about the 12 month rule, I was joking about it re lies on side of bus etc.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Best news all year.

There is no excuse for that these days, even the pirates broadcast reliable 1080p streams.
    I know.

From what people said it was 6 blokes in an office working off a rented server.

Few of them had any experience of running an operation like this.
  • Options

Brexit will impede economic activity in a similar way as it constricts the economy.

It is all very well you saying some shocks are good as long as someone else is paying the price!
    If I'm having a cardiac arrest and you're trained and have paddles available then please use them on me!

EU regulations constrict the economy - and our democracy. If we take control we set our own rules on the best way we believe to manage the economy rather than in collaboration with 27 other nations.
  • Options
    Sgt. Sunil: Alright, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we're gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: Are ya mean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU?

PB Tories: Lean and mean!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU? RobD! TSE! Get on the ready line, PB Tories, get some today! Get on the ready line! Move it out! Move it out, goddammit! Get hot! One, two, three, four! Get out, get out, get out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven! Aaarrrrr, absolutely badasses! Let's pack 'em in! Get in there!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    I'll go for:

May 174
    Not May 143
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Best news all year.

I know.

From what people said it was 6 blokes in an office working off a rented server.

Few of them had any experience of running an operation like this.
    Jesus Christ, even the illegal IPTV services have more sophisticated setups than that.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Peston does talk some nonsense sometimes . Equating the 100 who said they would vote against the deal as the same 100 who will vote against her in the confidence motion.

Some of the 100 have already said they will support her , some of the 100 are Remainers who are hardly going to oust her for an ERG nutjob!
  • Options

The Apprentice episode might be cancelled...that be sure to piss a lot of people off.

With the woeful quality of the candidates, cancelling it is a blessing. We don't need to see them on screen ever again.
    A tough but fair appraisal of possible future Tory leaders.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I have a feeling the EU aren't going to listen, despite them coming up with a shit show of a law...

https://torrentfreak.com/activists-to-deliver-4-million-anti-article-13-signatures-to-eu-parliament-181211/
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    Is trying to coincide post 1000 with the result:

177:138
  • Options
    edited December 2018

tlg86 said:

Best news all year.

I tried to watch the US Open tennis on Amazon Prime (smart TV). Virtually unwatchable, really jerky and too low res for even a 30ish inch TV (dunno my size without checking). Plus not being in the EPG is a real problem.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

If Corbyn were to decide to table an FTPA-compliant VONC, how quickly would it be voted on?

That would be at the discretion of Bercow surely, but I believe precedent is for it to be voted on the next day. Certainly enough time is meant to be given to allow MPs who aren't present to get to Westminster (there's much talk about the journeys that MPs did and fatefully that one Labour MP did not make in 1979).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    May 179

Just the level where it is neither automatic she stays or goes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    AndyJS said:

O/T

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    22m22 minutes ago

France, Ipsos poll:

Approval ratings (president+party leaders)

Bayrou (MoDem-ALDE): 28%
    Le Pen (RN-ENF): 27%
    Mélenchon (FI-LEFT): 26% (+2)
    Dupont-Aignan (DLF-EFDD): 25% (+6)
    Hamon (G.s.-S&D): 22% (-5)
    Macron (LREM-ALDE): 20% (-6)

Field work: 7/12/18 – 8/12/18
    Sample size: 971"

They're - ummm - swapping one centrist pro-EU politician (Macron) for another (Bayrou)?

Also, I'm not sure approval numbers are that useful, given the total adds up to about 150%.
  • Options

Anazina said:

Sounds like another bloody awful viewing experience. We have tellies for a reason.
  • Options

I have a feeling the EU aren't going to listen, despite them coming up with a shit show of a law...

https://torrentfreak.com/activists-to-deliver-4-million-anti-article-13-signatures-to-eu-parliament-181211/

Yet this is the sort of garbage law we'll apparently be constricted to be without. Ridiculous!
  • Options
    Looks like I'm going to lose money on this. There has been nowhere near the volatility I expected on Betfair. Though I like their new Auto Cash Out facility where you can set an amount of potential winnings to take if the market shifts then just leave it.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

That would be at the discretion of Bercow surely, but I believe precedent is for it to be voted on the next day. Certainly enough time is meant to be given to allow MPs who aren't present to get to Westminster (there's much talk about the journeys that MPs did and fatefully that one Labour MP did not make in 1979).
    So the earliest would be Monday if he moves tonight? Think the House isn't sitting on Friday?
  • Options

Jesus Christ, even the illegal IPTV services have more sophisticated setups than that.

I know, when I watch Liverpool's matches that aren't live on Sky/BT I seldom have problems.

I've not told you about the time they tried to ensure chromecasting/Airplay to a TV worked.

It felt like an episode of The IT Crowd.

Suffice it to say what appeared on my Ultra HDTV looked like a poor video from 2001 on a dial up modem.
  • Options

May 182
    Not May 135

That would be a doomed Thatcher- type result. As the incumbent she surely couldn't possibly survive a humiliation on anything like this scale. I reckon she has to win by at least 67%:33% to continue in office.
  • Options
    May 202
    Not May 115
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Sounds like another bloody awful viewing experience. We have tellies for a reason.
    Most people have tellies or 'sticks' with apps on them, like Amazon's streaming service.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

May 182
    Not May 135

That would be a doomed Thatcher- type result. As the incumbent she surely couldn't possibly survive a humiliation on anything like this scale. I reckon she has to win by at least 67%:33% to continue in office.
    I think she will carry on if she wins by a single vote.

Having said that, you can still get 7/1 on her being out by Jan 2019 on BF exchange if you think she'll win the vote but still resign...
  • Options

Anazina said:

Anazina said:

Most people have tellies or 'sticks' with apps on them, like Amazon's streaming service.
    The new 4k Amazon Fire Tv Stick is very solid bit of kit and was only £35 during Black Friday/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    May in the 150s
    Not May inthe 160s
  • Options
    Ladies and gentleman, I think we've got him.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1072927832727322624
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

FPT:

Cyclefree said:

If May survives - significant Cabinet reshuffle?

Time for a different DEXEU Secretary of State?
    Yes. We already agreed this afternoon that a piece of bacon rind I took out of my kicthen sink's drain is the next DexEU SoS. Cyclefree and I drew up the Cabinet positions earlier and they are upthread.

There is still some debate about the 18 goldfish however, but Charles is looking into the fish tank....
    The Cat is now back, a bit spaced out but otherwise OK and looking forward to running the country once he has had his special post-op dinner and a good sleep.

I too am looking forward to managing his PM's salary since there is an enormous hole in my savings caused by the vet's bill. :(
    I presume that there is an equally large hole in his future reproductive capacity?

Glad that Tuss is otherwise OK :+1:
    That was done ages ago. This was to deal with an injury which led to a lot of unpleasant bleeding on my sofa and an emergency trip to the animal hospital, plus some work on his teeth.

I rather wish one of my children had trained as a vet. They wouldn't want for money, whatever happens......
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Donny43 said:

I imagine if tabled tomorrow then it would be voted on Monday at the latest.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

May 182
    Not May 135

Technically she can as unlike Thatcher she cannot be challenged again for a year
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

May 182
    Not May 135

Think I've gone for even fewer May supporters in John Rentoul's sweepstake
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,981

The lists suggest about a third of Tory MPs have now voted https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1072918939636809729?s=17

Does Gove have the numbers ?
  • Options

YA Hard Brexit is the equivalent of a country putting sanctions on its own economy. Sanctions cause economic decline, this is why we impose them on other countries. Brexit is the equivalent of putting sanctions on 45% of our trade, with no new trade deals to stimulate activity elsewhere.

If I'm having a cardiac arrest and you're trained and have paddles available then please use them on me!

EU regulations constrict the economy - and our democracy. If we take control we set our own rules on the best way we believe to manage the economy rather than in collaboration with 27 other nations.
    The UK has sovereign control over the management of the economy at this time i.e. B of England, HM Treasury. We voluntarily agreed to conduct international trade in the EU on specific terms, which reduced barriers to trade, investment, people and capital. Setting universal standards within the EU does not inhibit the economy, paradoxically it expands it as more potential consumers are available and competitive companies based in the UK can export to this single market.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596

May 202
    Not May 115

May 215
    Not May 100
  • Options
    We're a decimal culture. Over/Under 100 for non May votes and Over/Under 200 for May votes will be the psychological barriers however arbitrary they are. If the rebels score one she's in trouble, if the score both she's finished. If they score neither she gets a few days momentum before the routed ERGers turn to metaphorical terrorist tactics.
This discussion has been closed.