Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for TMay from ConHome – nearly two thirds of members

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,375

If (say) 90 MPs or fewer are against May, how stupid and incompetent does this make the ERGers look? They had the farce of the repeated claims about 48 letters being in over the last month, and when they finally do get them, they can't even put the knife in well.

As I said a while back: they are all tactics and no strategy.

That would clearly be the best result. The question then is whether May is bold and ruthless enough to follow through and crush her saboteurs.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Assuming May wins, today will have solved nothing at all. The same problems exist tomorrow, for both the Conservative Party and the country.

What has got worse is that the EU knows it needs to offer her nothing - because no-one else is now going to come in to re-negotiate with them. And May can't be bounced out, however crap her performance with them.

Corbyn now knows he will face May if he can get a VONC through - and get to face her again in any General Election he can cause. Quite an incentive now....

Well quite. A nice little detour. But the deal still doesn’t have a majority. Erg just need to wait to win. Whereas May has to offer Labour something.

Tick.

Tock.
    I think that's right - she has to offer Labour something. Unfortunately, I am not sure she gets that.
    Or go for a referendum. Leave with the May Deal or Remain.
    You may as well serve the Tory party it's last rites with that kind of choice presented to the public.
    The Tories are going to take a hit anyway. Allowing Remain on the ballot in a referendum might actually save the Tories in the long-run. You might not like it but that is tough luck! Go back to UKIP and rant about Europe to your hearts content.
    You need remain on the ballot to get Labour's support.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Assuming May wins, today will have solved nothing at all. The same problems exist tomorrow, for both the Conservative Party and the country.

What has got worse is that the EU knows it needs to offer her nothing - because no-one else is now going to come in to re-negotiate with them. And May can't be bounced out, however crap her performance with them.

Corbyn now knows he will face May if he can get a VONC through - and get to face her again in any General Election he can cause. Quite an incentive now....

Well quite. A nice little detour. But the deal still doesn’t have a majority. Erg just need to wait to win. Whereas May has to offer Labour something.

Tick.

Tock.
    I think that's right - she has to offer Labour something. Unfortunately, I am not sure she gets that.
    You may as well serve the Tory party it's last rites with that kind of choice presented to the public.
    That's an added bonus then! :lol:
    It's also why that will never be the choice. I don't like May very much but she's not completely stupid.
    Do you think she's stupid enough to let the country accidentally slip into No Deal Brexit? Because that might be the alternative to a 2nd referendum.
    The CJEU have already done that, unfortunately. They've blocked off the one hope of avoiding it - that Labour's backbenches would see this as a better option than a crashout.

And as nobody will dare withdraw a50 and nobody will vote through the deal we are all screwed.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If (say) 90 MPs or fewer are against May, how stupid and incompetent does this make the ERGers look? They had the farce of the repeated claims about 48 letters being in over the last month, and when they finally do get them, they can't even put the knife in well.

That would clearly be the best result. The question then is whether May is bold and ruthless enough to follow through and crush her saboteurs.
    "Maggie T ain't got shit on me!"
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Your party is dying in front of you. This is - even though you won't believe me - one chance to appeal to voters beyond the core vote. And to get rid of the current parasites in your party who are killing it - like honey fungus which looks superficially appealing but over time kills the tree to which it attaches itself to.
  • Options

Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
    The winner takes it all, surely?
  • Options

Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
    F.U.R.B.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Win or lose they had to put in letters if they disagree so fundamentally with the leader of their party. Good on them for that.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited December 2018

Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
    F.U.R.B.
    Frankee?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    The Tories are going to take a hit anyway. Allowing Remain on the ballot in a referendum might actually save the Tories in the long-run. You might not like it but that is tough luck! Go back to UKIP and rant about Europe to your hearts content.
    Good.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
    F.U.R.B.
    Frankie?
    Yup.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,775
    IanB2 said:

But who are the saboteurs? Seems everyone including May has been saboteur at some point. It's hard for us sans cullottes to keep up.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    It's also why that will never be the choice. I don't like May very much but she's not completely stupid.
    It would be nice if the national interest was occasionally prioritised versus the internal politics of the conservative party. We need an outcome and clarity.
    May or no May I don't think an outcome or clarity were likely. This is an internal Tory fight, and one we can scarcely afford the time for, but who they pick as leader seems largely irrelevant to the national interest unless it is Rees Mogg.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    And for the EU to agree to extend Article 50.
  • Options
    All coming down to symbolism of 100 or not then I guess. Oh well, I might only be 60 or so out!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
    F.U.R.B.
    Frankie?
    Yup.
    You win most obscure pop music reference of the night award!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1072953044558643206

Nothing has changed, I will carry on delivering Brexit, yadda yadda yadda....
    Now's the time for her to reveal this was all part of the plan to remain the whole time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Do you think she's stupid enough to let the country accidentally slip into No Deal Brexit? Because that might be the alternative to a 2nd referendum.
    The CJEU have already done that, unfortunately. They've blocked off the one hope of avoiding it - that Labour's backbenches would see this as a better option than a crashout.

And as nobody will dare withdraw a50 and nobody will vote through the deal we are all screwed.
    May will withdraw A50 if we get close to crash out imo. The cabinet have obviously been spooked by the secret briefings they have had on No Deal consequences.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Your party is dying in front of you. This is - even though you won't believe me - one chance to appeal to voters beyond the core vote. And to get rid of the current parasites in your party who are killing it - like honey fungus which looks superficially appealing but over time kills the tree to which it attaches itself to.
    Most people (including a lot of conservative voters) are sick to the back teeth with Brexit.

Getting this resolved wins brownie points, not an internal dialogue that the electorate are frankly bewildered by, with the preference for leaving seeming to shrink week by week now in the polls.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,781
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    I agree. Popcorn time
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited December 2018
    Jonathan said:
    < drops mic >
  • Options

Told @theresa_may has now been told result of #voteofconfidence ahead of 9pm media announcement

And is sinking a bottle of Vodka after hearing that sadly she is still in charge of Brexit.
    "Seriously, I ever told them I could legally secure changes, and that the DUP backed me, what will it take to anger them enough to get rid of me?"
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Not sure why you think telling the people "you got it wrong, vote again" would save the Tories.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

But who are the saboteurs? Seems everyone including May has been saboteur at some point. It's hard for us sans cullottes to keep up.
    Just crush them all?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,302
    70-89 band just went favourite
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Bullshit. 70% of our voters are leavers, 50% are no dealers. There aren't nearly enough votes in the centre to available to replace the ones we'd lose by putting remain back on the agenda. We'd end up as a rump if a party like the lib dems, Corbyn and the hard left would get 10 years unopposed while the right regrouped under a new banner. It would be an unmitigated disaster.
  • Options
    Bernard Jenkin getting his excuses in early on BBC1 I see.
  • Options
    Only for a few secs - 90-109 now fav again
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    The price of winning this vote has been to confirm that she is standing down before the next election. She has therefore offered herself up as a lame duck as the price of this vote.

Rather confirming the point of those who put in the letters.
  • Options
    Jenkin as good as conceding that they have failed.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

70-89 band just went favourite

Yet the odds against May are in from 19/1 to 13/1.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:
    I'm Still Standing?
    F.U.R.B.
    Frankie?
    Yup.
    You win most obscure pop music reference of the night award!
    "Mamma Mia - here I go again"

"Look at me now. Will I ever learn?
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Not sure why you think telling the people "you got it wrong, vote again" would save the Tories.
    It's clearly not saying that.

She has tried her best to leave via a real and parliament won't let her.

Only resolution to above is to ask the people. Don't think it's that complex.
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Bullshit. 70% of our voters are leavers, 50% are no dealers. There aren't nearly enough votes in the centre to available to replace the ones we'd lose by putting remain back on the agenda. We'd end up as a rump if a party like the lib dems, Corbyn and the hard left would get 10 years unopposed while the right regrouped under a new banner. It would be an unmitigated disaster.
    A perfect description of the fate that awaits you if they try to implement no deal.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.

May will withdraw A50 if we get close to crash out imo. The cabinet have obviously been spooked by the secret briefings they have had on No Deal consequences.
    She can't. It would require at the very least a vote in the Commons, and she doesn't have the numbers.

We are left with the default, because nobody can agree an alternative pathway. And no deal is the default.
  • Options

The price of winning this vote has been to confirm that she is standing down before the next election. She has therefore offered herself up as a lame duck as the price of this vote.

In what way? Were there really that many people who thought she was going to last beyond Brexit day, assuming we even get there?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited December 2018

How can we 'crash out' of anything when we know in advance it's happening? The concept itself is ludicrous. We crashed out of the ERM. The whole concept of crashing out is that it happens as a shock. Crashing out of something by appointment is actually admitting that there are issues and that the policy is to fail to prepare for them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    edited December 2018
    May loss is now 13 on BF.

Looks like punters have made their minds up.
  • Options
    "Jenkin: She will have my firm support. Just not on the Deal"

In office but not in power...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    or you revoke A50 (as that keeps the DUP onside) and push to stay in power to 2022 hoping that something happens to Labour.

It's not a brilliant plan but its better than most of the others...
  • Options
    He should get up later in the morning, it won't drag on so much then.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    You seem to have no idea how many voters you are losing, who are - or could be - natural conservatives, by your current shenanigans. And it is those shenanigans that are making a Corbyn government ever more likely.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    kle4 said:

In what way? Were there really that many people who thought she was going to last beyond Brexit day, assuming we even get there?
    She confirmed that she wanted to lead them into 2022, but has had to concede that is a pipe dream.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

Win or lose they had to put in letters if they disagree so fundamentally with the leader of their party. Good on them for that.
    One could argue that at least the hotter kind of Brexiteers are bothering to vote for what they believe in, even if they do end up being outnumbered.

Whereas the hundreds of Europhiles and pragmatists who probably constitute a good majority in Parliament - and who view Brexit with disdain or outright horror - are content to make vacuous speeches or to remain silent, rather than seize control of this process and stop it in its tracks.

One can dispute the positioning of both the ERG wing and the Prime Minister, but at least it is possible to construct a reasonable argument to the effect that each is acting in what they believe to be the national interest. Whereas the ditherers are either moaning, wetting themselves, or both.

And one fundamental fact persists: if the majority in Parliament refuses to work together towards any agreed outcome, then Hard Brexit happens by default on March 29th next year.
  • Options

Quite what the point of her making that distinction is I have no bloody clue. Even now new dealers and no dealers won't switch, nor remainers like JoJo.
  • Options

And this is the key point. Win or lose May still won't be able to get concessions from Yerp or a vote through the Commons. An entertaining aside but doesn't really change anything.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    You seem to have no idea how many voters you are losing, who are - or could be - natural conservatives, by your current shenanigans. And it is those shenanigans that are making a Corbyn government ever more likely.
    Max is right. Talking to members and our voters, we’d lose 25-40% of them overnight if we put Remain on the ballot.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any rumours yet? I've just come out of a meeting.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.

She can't. It would require at the very least a vote in the Commons, and she doesn't have the numbers.

We are left with the default, because nobody can agree an alternative pathway. And no deal is the default.
    If she put that to Parliament as the government proposal, it would sail through.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil forgot the LibDems were a Party there for a moment
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2018
    Could be more than the number of votes against...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Max is right. Talking to members and our voters, we’d lose 25-40% of them overnight if we put Remain on the ballot.
    Yes, far better to lose them slowly.
  • Options

And this is the key point. Win or lose May still won't be able to get concessions from Yerp or a vote through the Commons. An entertaining aside but doesn't really change anything.
    It ends the nonsense of 48 letters
  • Options

easy to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Disconnect between winner and no. of votes markets.
  • Options

kle4 said:

She confirmed that she wanted to lead them into 2022, but has had to concede that is a pipe dream.
    Sure, but I always figured everyone knew that she didn't mean it, like Cameron not resigning if he lost the referendum, I assumed it was built into perceptions of her.
  • Options

Who are the LibDems? Are they an act on Britain's got Talent or something?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Not really. We needed a bloodletting, unfortunately this is very poorly timed.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    kle4 said:

I'm talking about the way the ERG has played this: IMV they've behaved truly awfully, and been utterly incompetent.

I mean, if it's true one of them has been whinging that May called the vote too soon, that they wanted her to call it after the weekend, then you have to ask what the fu*k they've been playing at? They've been saying they're near 48 letters, or even past it, for weeks, and yet they're totally unprepared for it when it does happen?
  • Options
    Who's that woman speaking to Andrew Neil?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Which blood do you think needs letting?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Yes, far better to lose them slowly.
    If, say, less than a third of voters support no deal in March, that is no basis for the conservatives to thrive anyway; especially if things go south subsequently
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,887
    IanB2 said:

Jenkin as good as conceding that they have failed.

Farage conceded the referendum at ten minutes past ten on 23rd June. :D
  • Options

kle4 said:

One could argue that at least the hotter kind of Brexiteers are bothering to vote for what they believe in, even if they do end up being outnumbered.

Whereas the hundreds of Europhiles and pragmatists who probably constitute a good majority in Parliament - and who view Brexit with disdain or outright horror - are content to make vacuous speeches or to remain silent, rather than seize control of this process and stop it in its tracks.

One can dispute the positioning of both the ERG wing and the Prime Minister, but at least it is possible to construct a reasonable argument to the effect that each is acting in what they believe to be the national interest. Whereas the ditherers are either moaning, wetting themselves, or both.

And one fundamental fact persists: if the majority in Parliament refuses to work together towards any agreed outcome, then Hard Brexit happens by default on March 29th next year.
    You talk uncommonly good sense.

By which I mean I agree with you.
  • Options
    70-89 now clear favourite
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.

If she put that to Parliament as the government proposal, it would sail through.
    Not without Labour's support it wouldn't, and Corbyn has already shown he puts his own power and ego above the national interest.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Telegraph correspondant.
  • Options
    Wow, surely they'd be instantly deselected?
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

Donny43 said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    It's clearly not saying that.

She has tried her best to leave via a real and parliament won't let her.

Only resolution to above is to ask the people. Don't think it's that complex.
    If you put Remain back on the ballot paper it's exactly how it will - rightly - be seen.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Mortimer said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    To whom exactly?
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    Mortimer said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Of course, all that matters is The Party and sod the bloody country.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Rebecca Long-Bailey now

Camilla Tominay previously
  • Options
    MikeL said:

70-89 now clear favourite

But a 7% chance she'll lose. What a spread that is.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Telegraph correspondant.
    Ah ok thanks
  • Options
    RobD said:

Deservedly so.

In another era they'd be horsewhipped.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Bernard Jenkin getting his excuses in early on BBC1 I see.

Farage also conceded defeat at the start of EU Ref night...

Anyway, the tedious wait should be over in a couple of minutes, then we'll know for certain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.

Not without Labour's support it wouldn't, and Corbyn has already shown he puts his own power and ego above the national interest.
    Corbyn would have to surf the wave or get very wet.
  • Options
    Three mins to go, if it is on the hour....
  • Options

RobD said:

Deservedly so.

What Tories get up to in their private lives is remarkable.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Tick.

Tock.
    Which blood do you think needs letting?
    Across the whole party tbh, as I said if the PM wins then the ERG needs to fall in line or lose the whip.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey now

Thanks - Long-Bailey I recognised, it was the other one.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Becky Long odds Bailey.... +1193.12
  • Options
    RobD said:

Telegraph correspondant.
    Loon-Bailey
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,888
    RobD said:

Depends how mental their constituency party is, which can vary immensely.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Rebecca Long-Bailey now

What is the difference between Rebecca Long Bailey's intelligence and Bigfoot?

There's some evidence for the existence of Bigfoot.
  • Options
    Result being announced now.
  • Options
    Here we go....
  • Options
    So if May wins, she has licence to screw things up as badly as this week without the threat of a leadership challenge. I am not sure that’s a huge improvement.
  • Options
    So, how many days before the initial 'win' high reduces and May resigns anyway?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Deservedly so.

What Tories get up to in their private lives is remarkable.
    Stephen Milligan was nearly 25 years ago (boy that makes me feel old, I was a sniggering schoolboy back when he passed away.)
This discussion has been closed.