Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Good news for TMay: Montgomerie’s backing suggests that the de

Comments

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Sky reporting Penny Mordaunt wanting a free vote

As they're all still locked in the Cabinet how on earth does anyone know that? :D
    Toilet break + mobile phone. That's the problem with a five-hour cabinet: you do have to allow the odd comfort break.
    Mrs May should learn from the civil servants I used to have negotiate with at the LCD (as it then when was). Give everyone lots of coffee and no comfort breaks. Spin the proceedings out for as long as you can and they'll agree to anything you want.
    I think there's a line in Yes, Minister where the diplomatic benefits of a strong bladder are lauded.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

As they're all still locked in the Cabinet how on earth does anyone know that? :D
    GIN, you never heard of text or twitter, and Good evening as well
    Evening Malc. :D

I'm not sure Theresa would allow that?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

GIN1138 said:

Toilet break + mobile phone. That's the problem with a five-hour cabinet: you do have to allow the odd comfort break.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/J8-Smallest-Mobile-Newest-changer-x/dp/B00O586YB2
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

GIN1138 said:

Mrs May should learn from the civil servants I used to have negotiate with at the LCD (as it then when was). Give everyone lots of coffee and no comfort breaks. Spin the proceedings out for as long as you can and they'll agree to anything you want.
    I think there's a line in Yes, Minister where the diplomatic benefits of a strong bladder are lauded.
    Enoch Powell used to drink copious amounts of water before giving interviews to concentrate the mind (as it were).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284

GIN1138 said:

Lol that reminds me of when I was doing pay negotiations and we called the union in on a Sunday morning to finalise what had proved to be a difficult set of negotiations. At weekends there was no catering in the building, and my director had arranged for some sandwiches to be left for the management team, the plan being to keep the meeting running into the afternoon until the union side were sufficiently hungry that a deal could be done. Which it was.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

Enoch Powell used to drink copious amounts of water before giving interviews to concentrate the mind (as it were).
    My favourite Enoch Powell quote is the one about going to the Barbers.

The Barber says "How would you like your hair cutting sir?"

EP replies "In silence".
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    By the way, and regarding deals with the US, it's worth noting that New NAFTA contains a provision that signatories (Canada and Mexico) are not allowed to sign agreements with countries that the US regards as non-market economies.

The US regards China as a non-market economy.

So, Canada and Mexico are not allowed to have agreements with China.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

GIN1138 said:

Ah. Well that will have been where they got the idea from I expect. In another job I worked with a former senior civil servant who seriously thought Yes Minister was an instruction manual.

God knows what he'd have made of "The Thick of It".
  • Options
    Mark Stone on Sky saying they are waiting for cabinet decision before considering the deal.

One journalist contradicting another both on Sky
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    rcs1000 said:

By the way, and regarding deals with the US, it's worth noting that New NAFTA contains a provision that signatories (Canada and Mexico) are not allowed to sign agreements with countries that the US regards as non-market economies.

The US regards China as a non-market economy.

So, Canada and Mexico are not allowed to have agreements with China.

The joys of being adjacent to a powerful economic neighbour
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

GIN1138 said:

Ah. Well that will have been where they got the idea from I expect. In another job I worked with a former senior civil servant who seriously thought Yes Minister was an instruction manual.

God knows what he'd have made of "The Thick of It".
    Live CCTV feed......
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    I recall one executive who allocated 2 person hours for a meeting. If two people turned up then the meeting was a maximum of one hour, if ten people turned up then the meeting had a maximum of 6 minutes. He was senior enough to have the clout to make it stick.

I knew another manager who insisted all meetings were done standing up.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

EP replies "In silence".
    Also attributed to Lord Curzon.
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    edited November 2018
    IanB2 said:

I don't think Labour's soundbite about a "botched deal" will resonate. It's clearly not a botched deal - it's what Brexit is.

By the sound of it, the deal is as good as Brexit gets - not as good as remaining, but if we have to leave, not a bad outcome. The fact that the headbangers have no pragmatism, realism or common sense and cannot see this is hardly to their credit.
    For anyone that values reducing unskilled immigration, it is far superior to Remaining.

May just needs to sell this via bullets points:

- An end to uncontrolled immigration
    - Billions saved each year
    - British courts supreme once again
    - Ability to sign our own trade deals
    - No border in Northern Ireland
    - Regaining control over our financial sector, business services, creative industries and other services
    - Maintaining our place in manufacturing supply chains
    - Exit from the Common Agricultural Policy
    - Exit from the Common Fisheries Policy
    - Independent exit mechanism
  • Options
    What happened to Brady's announcement at 5?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Theo said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think Labour's soundbite about a "botched deal" will resonate. It's clearly not a botched deal - it's what Brexit is.

By the sound of it, the deal is as good as Brexit gets - not as good as remaining, but if we have to leave, not a bad outcome. The fact that the headbangers have no pragmatism, realism or common sense and cannot see this is hardly to their credit.
    For anyone that values reducing unskilled immigration, it is far superior to Remaining.

- Regaining control over our financial sector, business services, creative industries and other services
    When will we be able to implement a UK-wide trade deal with a third country under this deal?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I recall one executive who allocated 2 person hours for a meeting. If two people turned up then the meeting was a maximum of one hour, if ten people turned up then the meeting had a maximum of 6 minutes. He was senior enough to have the clout to make it stick.

I knew another manager who insisted all meetings were done standing up.

I believe that is the case for Privy Council meetings.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited November 2018

Theo said:

IanB2 said:

When will we be able to implement a UK-wide trade deal with a third country under this deal?
    Do Barnsley and Harlow care? May's Deal annoys Leavers like Hannan but still ends free movement and leaves the EU which is what most Leave voters wanted
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

Theo said:

IanB2 said:

As soon as the backstop kicks in from 2020. Obviously dependent on that third party mind.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Theo said:

IanB2 said:

As soon as the backstop kicks in from 2020. Obviously dependent on that third party mind.
    The backstop contains a customs union, so no trade deals until we exit the backstop. When will that be, and what terms will we have with the EU when we exit it?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    A betting question. How do Ladbrokes determine the time of a ministerial resignation? Especially if there are multiple resignations and - I guess a possibility - joint resignation statements made?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

EP replies "In silence".
    +1
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited November 2018
    TudorRose said:

A betting question. How do Ladbrokes determine the time of a ministerial resignation? Especially if there are multiple resignations and - I guess a possibility - joint resignation statements made?

Dead heat rules if more than resignation takes place on the same day.

IIRC they settled the David Davis resignation as the Sunday even though it wasn't formally announced until the Monday.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There is/was no announcement as such. Apparently it's a regular 1922 meeting (with the Health Secretary I believe).
  • Options

TudorRose said:

IIRC they settled the David Davis resignation as the Sunday even though it wasn't formally announced until the Monday.
    In that case it's a good market to be in if you believe there will be multiple resignations.
  • Options
    SKY- No press statement from Downing Street tonight.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I hate it when a barber tries to engage my enthusiasm for sportsball.

I normally retaliate by engaging him in discussions of the minutiae of politics.
  • Options
    No press statement?

Maybe Cabinet's support for the deal is a little bit less in the bag than May calculated.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

You mean the routine wednesday meeting of the 1922
  • Options
    The thing is, that this means that May has now given TWO WHOLE NEWS CYCLES to the opponents of her deal to smear it liberally in diarrhoea, before she's even published the fucking thing.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,815
    edited November 2018
    Serious question. Does the deal as we know it so far prevent whoever is PM come March progressing future relationship negotiations on a Canada plus and technological border basis?

I'm strongly minded that the answer is no, they would not be prevented, contrary to what Boris claims.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    So, I assume it has been a measured and reflective day from all concerned?

I also assume despite OGH's optimism for May, that she is even further away from getting the votes she needs?
  • Options

In the Commons - statement to camera tonight still expected
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

The thing is, that this means that May has now given TWO WHOLE NEWS CYCLES to the opponents of her deal to smear it liberally in diarrhoea, before she's even published the fucking thing.

It's a smart move. Already the narrative that her opponents are being dismissive without having read the thing has gained some traction. The deal might well be poo poo'd eventually but it's best for her it doesn't happen today.
  • Options
    So you think she's gonna have a press conference but not make a statement?

Just stand there in the dark, in silence?
  • Options

Nothing has changed.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Serious question. Does the deal as we know it so far prevent whoever is PM come March progressing future relationship negotiations on a Canada plus and technological border basis?

I'm strongly minded that the answer is no, they would not be prevented, contrary to what Boris claims.

I think you may be disappointed. A hard border was defined in the December agreement as a border with infrastructure or associated checks. That rules out any kind of technological border by definition - it can only be a political solution.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I also assume despite OGH's optimism for May, that she is even further away from getting the votes she needs?

How can anyone tell at this time
  • Options

That only matters among the public, and virtually none of us are going to read it anyway, and since it is a compromise is likely to be disliked on principle.

It is the MPs who matter, and the naysayers are making a strong showing no doubt (both leavers and remainers), but they are also more likely to be persuadable despite the initial negative news cycles.
  • Options

She is to make a statement at no 10 tonight
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

In that case it's a good market to be in if you believe there will be multiple resignations.
    Not really.

Earlier I put £20 on McVey at 2/1 and £20 on Mordaunt at 3/1.

If McVey were out first, I'd be up £20. If Mordaunt, £40.

In the event of a tie between the two I am up £10 on mcVey and £20 on Mordaunt, i.e. broadly int he same position.

If however more people also leave, I am quickly into losses.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Someone further down was saying Brady and May were both going to make statements at 5pm?
  • Options
    Well, if May thought she had the votes in Cabinet with *acceptable* levels of resignations following, she'd already have pressed for a vote and be on her way to announce it before the resignations started.

She hasn't, so the very obvious conclusion is either (1) she doesn't have the votes in cabinet or (2) isn't prepared to risk losing some big names.

Neither looks good for this godforsaken deal.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Someone further down was saying Brady and May were both going to make statements at 5pm?
    The (regular) 1922 meeting is ongoing, and May has pulled the planned statement and press conference for as-yet-unspecified-but-we-can-guess reasons.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited November 2018

Well, if May thought she had the votes in Cabinet with *acceptable* levels of resignations following, she'd already have pressed for a vote and be on her way to announce it before the resignations started.

She hasn't, so the very obvious conclusion is either (1) she doesn't have the votes in cabinet or (2) isn't prepared to risk losing some big names.

As they are still in cabinet it is a bit difficult to make an announcement

John Rentoul has just said if it goes through cabinet he expects it to pass the HOC
  • Options
    edited November 2018

kle4 said:

If May is struggling to get something through her own Cabinet, she simply won't get it past enough of her MPs because they are even more truculent and argumentative, so it doesn't seem that hard. The equation is that May lacks a majority so who else does she need. Will she have the DUP on this? If not will she have some Labour MPs? The number who might be yes is unknowable, but some are needed even if no Tories vote against. That's not impossible but it is clearly hard, even without knowing everything.
  • Options

TudorRose said:

TudorRose said:

Not really.

Earlier I put £20 on McVey at 2/1 and £20 on Mordaunt at 3/1.

If McVey were out first, I'd be up £20. If Mordaunt, £40.

In the event of a tie between the two I am up £10 on mcVey and £20 on Mordaunt, i.e. broadly int he same position.

If however more people also leave, I am quickly into losses.
    Fair point; I meant that it made sense to back as many as possible on the basis that you were risk spreading in a market where multiple bets could come off.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited November 2018
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

TM was scheduled to do so but the cabinet is still meeting.

5.00pm was the time for the routine 1922 meeting to commence
  • Options
    The DUP are honking pretty loudly they're not gonna touch this deal with a shitty stick. Barring some last minute miracle, the government is going into the vote without a working majority.

• Options

I thought announcing a 17:00 hour statement at No.10 was a hostage to fortune! Lack of control or the smack of firm government springs to mind.
  • Options

She is to make a statement at no 10 tonight
    Adam Boulton making fake news then.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,815
    edited November 2018

Pro_Rata said:

I think you may be disappointed. A hard border was defined in the December agreement as a border with infrastructure or associated checks. That rules out any kind of technological border by definition - it can only be a political solution.
    I don't mind too much. I'm fine with a bit of CU and concluding the deal. What I'm looking for is the killer argument to beat Boris and the ERG down with.

Do forms and pre clearance checks count? Might a change of Irish PM soften the lines? If I were Britain would it be worth pushing for the EU contingent of the independent panel to be quite heavily Irish or not?

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

John Rentoul has just said if it goes through cabinet he expects it to pass the HOC
    Ha! As I said this morning!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Now there will be a statement, but not a press conference.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If May is struggling to get something through her own Cabinet, she simply won't get it past enough of her MPs because they are even more truculent and argumentative, so it doesn't seem that hard. The equation is that May lacks a majority so who else does she need. Will she have the DUP on this? If not will she have some Labour MPs? The number who might be yes is unknowable, but some are needed even if no Tories vote against. That's not impossible but it is clearly hard, even without knowing everything.
    As I have just said John Rentoul expects it to pass the HOC if cabinet approve it
  • Options

JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

EP replies "In silence".
    Wasn't that FE Smith?
  • Options

I thought announcing a 17:00 hour statement at No.10 was a hostage to fortune! Lack of control or the smack of firm government springs to mind.
    It strongly suggests that May completely misread how willing cabinet would be to accept this bucket of cold sick.

But then, misreading people totally has been May's modus operandi from the start.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

No questions?
  • Options

On what basis? If the DUP are not onside there is no majority.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The (regular) 1922 meeting is ongoing, and May has pulled the planned statement and press conference for as-yet-unspecified-but-we-can-guess reasons.
    She has not pulled anything. She is to make a statement tonight
  • Options
    Alberto Nardelli (@AlbertoNardelli)

EU27 meeting of ambassadors has ended. Diplomats told no word yet from London whether UK ministers have given greenlight to the deal. Diplomats also told that substance of the Northern Ireland backstop is the previously reported three options to pick by July 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/nov/14/brexit-deal-theresa-may-conservatives-meet-decide-cabinet-politics-live?page=with:block-5bec6169e4b0772932e1fc53#block-5bec6169e4b0772932e1fc53
  • Options

In the Commons - statement to camera tonight still expected
    MPs were unhappy that there would be a press conference before she has presented the dog's breakfast to the House.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

No questions?
    I have a few. But I nor anyone else will get to put them it seems...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

She has not pulled anything. She is to make a statement tonight
    ....or the early hours of tomorrow morning, depending when Cabinet finishes.

Cabinet shouldn't be rushed. Short of going to war, it's probably the most important one in decades. All should be heard, all questions asked and answered.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

He was saying that as there is a deal a referendum is less likely and no deal is a non starter
  • Options
    It also means that Nick Hurd, acting under instructions from the PM, just lied to the house.

So that's lovely.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

He was saying that as there is a deal a referendum is less likely and no deal is a non starter
    Fair enough. However, there are quite a few assumptions in that view. I am not convinced.
  • Options

It also means that Nick Hurd, acting under instructions from the PM, just lied to the house.

So that's lovely.

Of course he did not. He said there would be no statement in the HOC tonight
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If May can keep this cabinet meeting going until March she might stand a chance.
  • Options

So that's lovely.

How is she giving all these instructions about statements and running a cabinet meeting at the same time?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

So that's lovely.

How is she giving all these instructions about statements and running a cabinet meeting at the same time?
    Txt. CU L8R @ NO10 LUV TMPM
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Fair enough. However, there are quite a few assumptions in that view. I am not convinced.
    Ironically his paper campaigns for a referendum
  • Options
    ERG has switched its position and is now encouraging its membership to send in their letters:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1062767206356971520

I wonder when JRM will send his?
  • Options
    houndtang said:

JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

EP replies "In silence".
    Wasn't that FE Smith?
    It could have been attributed to him as well!

I got the Enoch Powell version from a book called Parliamentary Sauce written by Greg Knight MP in the early to mid 1990s. There were some good quotes in it but the one about EP always stuck out due to his political persona of being quick witted. Another one EP made was when at a meeting someone shouted "Judas" to which he replied "Judas was paid I have made a sacrifice....." Mind you that could have been arranged in advance as you never know with these politicians!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Aren't those the mobiles designed for prisoners to .....uhhhh..... transport via infrequently-searched orifices?
  • Options

So that's lovely.

He said there would be no press statement, which is not true. Nick Hurd has lied to the house, for which he should be made to apologise. Though in this case the fuckup belongs wholly to Mrs May.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

ERG has switched its position and is now encouraging its membership to send in their letters:

Good, they looked like a bunch of incompetents for somehow putting the position that May was trying to bring about the apocalypse, but not to send in letters because this lunatic might change their mind.
  • Options

So that's lovely.

He said there would be no press statement, which is not true. Nick Hurd has lied to the house, for which he should be made to apologise. Though in this case the fuckup belongs wholly to Mrs May.
    https://twitter.com/kateemccann/status/1062763927594000384?s=21
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If May can keep this cabinet meeting going until March she might stand a chance.

They'll be sending in food parcels soon! :D
  • Options

Can’t believe people can be arsed to go to Downing St after work to protest for Brexit!

Several of them may already work there!
  • Options

Maybe he already has! :D
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Aren't those the mobiles designed for prisoners to .....uhhhh..... transport via infrequently-searched orifices?
    Any port in a storm. :lol:
  • Options
    Well, when one mis-speaks to the house, one damn well returns to the house to grovellingly un-mis-speak it, and throw oneself onto the mercy of the chair.
  • Options
    Sky saying TM is going one by one round the cabinet answering colleagues individual questions and this is causing the delay
  • Options

Andrew said:

Any port in a storm. :lol:
    A new form of backstop?
  • Options
    Either she's going to press for a vote or she isn't.

She can't maintain this quantum superposition forever. Either tonight or early tomorrow something needs to collapse.
  • Options

Sky saying TM is going one by one round the cabinet answering colleagues individual questions and this is causing the delay

How do they know that? Is Faisal Islam hiding under the table?
  • Options

Well, when one mis-speaks to the house, one damn well returns to the house to grovellingly un-mis-speak it, and throw oneself onto the mercy of the chair.

The easiest thing would be for him to say ‘Sorry, Theresa May couldn’t organise a pregnancy on a council estate’
  • Options

Sounds like a reverse Weakest Link. Theresa you are the weakest link, goodbye.
  • Options
    Remarkably, I imagine that the cabinet office has some kind of incredibly advanced communications technology to allow Theresa May, inside a room, to communicate with others, outside it.

I wonder what this near-magical technology might comprise.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
  • Options

Either she's going to press for a vote or she isn't.

She can't maintain this quantum superposition forever. Either tonight or early tomorrow something needs to collapse.

She can return to the EU for further negotiation, reject the deal, or obtain cabinet approval
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Jonathan said:

TudorRose said:

So that's lovely.

Txt. CU L8R @ NO10 LUV TMPM
    TMICIPM here 11pm outside
  • Options
    If a leadership election is now a possibility that must alter the calculations of cabinet ministers tonight. Perhaps this is an attempt to nudge them along?
This discussion has been closed.