Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Good news for TMay: Montgomerie’s backing suggests that the de

Comments

• Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

Tough on Scottish fish,
    Tough on the causes of Scottish fish

Incorrect. No access for French, Spanish and Dutch fishermen was included in the agreement. Kuensberg pointed this yesterday.
  • Options

So, now we see why the EU were giving May the runaround on the NI backstop.

They were using it as a smokescreen whilst they sneakily dismantled the UK fishing industry without her noticing.

Clever.

Not what the FT thinks
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't get the fuss about free trade deals. We have excellent trade deals right now through the EU. We know the EU negotiators are excellent. We know ours are crap.

Are our crap negotiators going to out there and get better deals for the UK only than the EU excellent negotiators got for the EU including the UK?

Yes. The USA is considerably bigger than the entire EU27 put together. Why is it we in the EU don't have a deal with them but Australia do?
    The US had hardly any free trade deals.
    Just with successful independent countries like Australia, South Korea and Singapore. Ie precisely the countries we should be acting like with a free trade mentality outside of the EU.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    If Mundell goes over fish, surely Ruth D would go with him?

That would be two able, likeable and very electable Scottish Tories gone if so.

I think Ruth going would be pretty seismic for T May's hopes....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Mundell may resign on principle but might he still vote for the agreement on pragmatism?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    Anorak said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I don't get the fuss about free trade deals. We have excellent trade deals right now through the EU. We know the EU negotiators are excellent. We know ours are crap.

Are our crap negotiators going to out there and get better deals for the UK only than the EU excellent negotiators got for the EU including the UK?

No, the UK is a much smaller entity than the EU. My point with Japan and before that South Korea was that deal was already done on terms that satisfied both sides. The new trade deals post Brexit is fantasy IMO and the much vaunted New Zealand trade deal that Brexiteers always advocated is a drop in the ocean given the size of their economy and population.
    Yes, only the seventh or eighth largest economy on the planet. Tiny.
    Try fifth of sixth largest surely? Larger than South Korea.

South Korea is another nation that has trade deals with Europe, China, USA, Japan, Asia, Australia etc - virtually the whole world. We don't.
    In theory your arguments are correct, but the start point of the UK is very different to anywhere else in the world. We start off uniquely entangled from within the EU. This is fundamentally why leaving is difficult and not pain free.
    While that is true, it doesn't mean the UK is somehow incapable of reaching similar arrangements.
    Every journey begins with a small step. If leavers blow this step of actually leaving the EU we'll be tied in forever.
    It also ignores the point that trade deals are NOT an unmitigated good.

This is why they need to crafted with a great deal of care, which takes a very long time. You are providing access to an internal market to a foreign power who would like noting better than a highly-asymmetric balance of trade in their favour.
    Yes, a very important point indeed.

Take TTIP for example, though opoonents to this varied from those who wanted to Leave so that our NHS couldn't be sold to the yanks, and those who wanted to Remain so the EU could stand upp to the yanks as our supine politicians would not.

or NAFTA, where Mexico has gained a million manufacturing jobs, but lost over 2 million agricultural ones, feeding both the cartels and contributing to Mexicos obesity crisis.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    He was 50/1 (boosted to 60/1) on Oct 18th when I backed and tipped him.

It's not something I like to mention.
    Isn't McVey due to resign today though ?
    Am on her as well, not as impressive at 60/1 though.
    McVey 60/1 to leave next is great but do you also have Esther to be next leader? I dimly recall a pb fad for backing almost any female MPs to lead their parties? It was after the bloom came off the ex-soldier rose, iirc.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    matt said:

They’re just reporting each other and claiming special insight.
    Have McVey and Mundell backed each other to resign and if so when?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    The loss of Ruth Davidson would be catastrophic, and is certainly not outside the realms of possibility, if Mundell is as furious as is being reported, I can't imagine Ruth being any less so.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    What about Gove? Wasn't his Scottish father's fishing boat story the reason he grew up disliking the EU?
  • Options

Ruth is not an MP.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

They are looking for Fudge but want to be seen talking tough about Fish.
    How could Gove accept a poor deal on fish?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

Incorrect. No access for French, Spanish and Dutch fishermen was included in the agreement. Kuensberg pointed this yesterday.
    What about Swiss fishermen?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yes. The USA is considerably bigger than the entire EU27 put together. Why is it we in the EU don't have a deal with them but Australia do?
    Just with successful independent countries like Australia, South Korea and Singapore. Ie precisely the countries we should be acting like with a free trade mentality outside of the EU.
    Free Trade is like Fair Taxes, very much in the eye of the beholder!

The USA has a long history of Tariff and non Tariff barriers. The fetishists of Free Trade were mostly nineteenth century Brits, delivering Free Trade via gunboats and sepoys.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Ruth is not an MP.
    It doesn't matter. Ruth is popular, Ruth is smart. Ruth is likeable. Ruth can convince people of her ideas. Ruth is the Tories' great blue hope in Scotland. Ruth is Unionism's last line of defence against a Brexit backlash bouncing Scotland into an Indyref2 yes vote.

If Ruth goes it would be catastrophic to May's standing, and send paroxysms of panic throughout the Tory benches.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

rcs1000 said:

FFS. Our economies are not based on exporting natural resources (Australia) or high value manufacturing (S Korea). While we do have a significant financial services sector (like Singapore) it is smaller on a per capita basis by an order of magnitude.

We are the UK, and we are complicated and different to all those examples.

They. Do. Not. Apply.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

CD13 said:

Any news about FOM? Is it destined to be the elephant in the room and to die unnoticed?

Another small question … if the UK cannot exit the CU without permission, why would the EU let them?

Well I suspect the devil is in the "panel of adjudication" , or whatever it's called, which, if we are led to believe correctly, has supposedly equal representation by UK and EU with an "independent element". Now that might yet be a terminal fly in the ointment, of course. Who or what is "independent". The Hague Court? The UN? Chief Justice of Japan? God knows at this point.

Also I think (possibly incorrectly of course!) that nothing so far that we think we know, rules out the UK totally or very largely controlling immigration. Now doubtless there would be some horse trading when the Free Trade Deal is being discussed, but Hague this morning (safe to say he probably has an inside line) was pretty clear about control over FOM, and over CFP, and CAP, meaning in fairness, the EU might be a tad wary of keeping the UK too snug in a customs union with that kind of leeway, or the likes or Orban, and others might start fingering the small print and stroking their chins.
    My guess regarding FOM is that we'll end up with a system that is like the Canada-US one. Firms will need to apply (on-line) to get permission to employ EU citizens, but the process will have a presumption of "yes". This will mean the EU will claim that we agreed to FOM, but will ensure that we no longer import Roma Big Issue vendors.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Meanwhile the migration convoy has reached the border it seems. Might be good for Trump.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

You've been had. That relates to the UK-wide customs union backstop. It is not a deal that will ever be implemented as is.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

What about Gove? Wasn't his Scottish father's fishing boat story the reason he grew up disliking the EU?

Gove has promised to make no changes in post Brexit fish quotas.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/06/uk-fishing-fleets-unlikely-to-gain-from-brexit-despite-goves-claims-say-experts
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2018
    Foxy said:

Fenster said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/06/uk-fishing-fleets-unlikely-to-gain-from-brexit-despite-goves-claims-say-experts
    Why do I feel a segue into fish-related puns coming on. Where's the Welsh Doctor when you need him?

EDIT: I see Pulpstar has kicked things off.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
  • Options

Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

You've been had. That relates to the UK-wide customs union backstop. It is not a deal that will ever be implemented as is.
    ... but it's what the Scot Tories are talking about.

The future partnership hasn't been decided yet, so even grabcocque must accept we haven't been short sold on it
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    REUTERS COLON WE STILL PUT THINGS IN CAPS EVEN THOUGH TWITTER HAS REPLACED TELEGRAM STOP
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Ruth is not an MP.
    It doesn't matter. Ruth is popular, Ruth is smart. Ruth is likeable. Ruth can convince people of her ideas. Ruth is the Tories' great blue hope in Scotland. Ruth is Unionism's last line of defence against a Brexit backlash bouncing Scotland into an Indyref2 yes vote.

If Ruth goes it would be catastrophic to May's standing, and send paroxysms of panic throughout the Tory benches.
    Yep. She better not be messed around.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The total population of the countries the US has free trade deals with is tiny. It is - simply - not a very pro-free trade country.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
  • Options
    I wonder if this is a momentous day.

My daughter's sixth birthday.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    He was 50/1 (boosted to 60/1) on Oct 18th when I backed and tipped him.

It's not something I like to mention.
    Isn't McVey due to resign today though ?
    Am on her as well, not as impressive at 60/1 though.
    McVey 60/1 to leave next is great but do you also have Esther to be next leader? I dimly recall a pb fad for backing almost any female MPs to lead their parties? It was after the bloom came off the ex-soldier rose, iirc.
    I backed her as next leader at 100/1 back in April/May 2017.

Not expecting to collect on that.
  • Options
    The sole reason I'm not making any fish puns is it's neither the time nor the plaice.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Happy Birthday Little Miss Fenster
  • Options
    "IMF now says Theresa May’s brexit deal looks better for UK economy than their “best case scenarios” (FTA)"
  • Options

Ruth is not an MP.

True, but what exactly would Ruth 'go' from - and why? She could oppose the deal perfectly well from her current position.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    Yes, tracing the British quota is a fishy business:

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2016/05/15/investigation-big-fish-quota-barons-squeeze-out-small-scale-fishermen/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    Politics has just been turbot-charged.
  • Options

Fenster said:

Happy Birthday Little Miss Fenster
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    Our Fisherman's Cooperative already has a literal " No betrayal " Sign up in it's office windows. 25 meters from construction work on new landing facilities with a huge EU flag on the safety fencing because they are funding it. Fishing collision with reality over Brexit is going to be hilarious.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    If Gove goes someone will be squids in.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

Also, the fish contracts are commercial agreements to certain companies / vessels. For example,one Dutch family own a boat (registered in the UK, "owned" by a UK company) has the right to catch 25% of all UK based cod because they have bought out competitors and acquired their quotas.

They sell all the UK catch abroad to non-EU countries. Please explain how Brexit will solve this....
  • Options
    Happy birthday to Fenster minor.

Mr. Eagles, Mordaunt would be far better as Con leader than McVey.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The total population of the countries the US has free trade deals with is tiny. It is - simply - not a very pro-free trade country.
    No but we can be. Australia, South Korea and Singapore all are and we should model ourselves after them not the USA or the continent's dream of having a European USA.
  • Options
    Sky

TM to make a statement outside no 10 at 5.00pm
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2018

Ruth is not an MP.

True, but what exactly would Ruth 'go' from - and why? She could oppose the deal perfectly well from her current position.
    But she couldn't then turn up in the north east come next election going: "Vote for us, we betrayed you on the single issue I secured your vote on - I am powerless".
  • Options

"IMF now says Theresa May’s brexit deal looks better for UK economy than their “best case scenarios” (FTA)"

I mean this in the nicest spirit but the IMF might as well have me doing their long-term forecasts. It's finger in the air stuff!
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    He will have had his chips, and emerge from No 10 looking a bit battered.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Our Fisherman's Cooperative already has a literal " No betrayal " Sign up in it's office windows. 25 meters from construction work on new landing facilities with a huge EU flag on the safety fencing because they are funding it. Fishing collision with reality over Brexit is going to be hilarious.

The EU is funding it - with British taxpayers' money. The bit that they generously give back to us on condition they can plaster their stupid flag everywhere.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    Oh for Gods hake, not another fish pun.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Free Trade is like Fair Taxes, very much in the eye of the beholder!

The USA has a long history of Tariff and non Tariff barriers. The fetishists of Free Trade were mostly nineteenth century Brits, delivering Free Trade via gunboats and sepoys.
    Brits and our legacy continues successfully in countries like Singapore and Australia. SK isn't Commonwealth but has adopted it well. We could and should be a European Singapore.
  • Options

Certainly as far as my betfair account goes!

McVey is poisonous, and would mean Labour government nailed on next GE.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "There is a sense that people are coming together and uniting behind the opportunities that lie ahead."
  • Options

Well yes - in the same sense that amputation is better than gangrene....

If Mordaunt is the Tory saviour then we better keep Mrs May
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    He will have had his chips, and emerge from No 10 looking a bit battered.

Can't see there being (mushy) peas in our time.....
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Sky

Perhaps another GE or Referendum?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Of all the cabinet options, McVey would lead to the biggest defeat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Sky

....confirming she will indeed fight off the VONC that she has now been informed has been called.....

Maybe?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No but we can be. Australia, South Korea and Singapore all are and we should model ourselves after them not the USA or the continent's dream of having a European USA.
    Of course, but it is worth remembering that it's a lot easier to sign free trade deals if you export largely commodities (Chile, Iceland, Canada, or Australia) than if you have a complex economy that exports things that compete with protected domestic firms.

This doesn't mean we can't achieve it, or that it isn't a worthy goal. But a read through the average FTA, shows how much many countries protect the very things where we are strongest.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    "There is a sense that people are coming together and uniting behind the opportunities that lie ahead."
    Reminds me of Julius Caesar, around mid-March. They were all behind him too ....
  • Options

Sky

Not yet. I think she'll just kick off Operation Sell The Deal.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    A bad case of Grouper Think
  • Options

Sky

I normally rule out GEs but if the DUP withdraws supply we could get one shortly. I'm hoping May is to announce the cabinet has agreed on the draft text though...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    Those only work for the hard of herring.
  • Options
    Sky reporting Penny Mordaunt wanting a free vote
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't it really easy to get a trade deal with the US if you simply sign up to their boiler plate one which gives the US all the benefits? I'd guess with most countries a trade deal is very easy to get, if you aren't fussed about it actually getting concessions to aid your own trade and are willing to give them whatever they want. I was a bit worried that the Fantastic Dr Fox might be tempted to go around the world signing anything put in front of him.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Fenster said:

I mean this in the nicest spirit but the IMF might as well have me doing their long-term forecasts. It's finger in the air stuff!
    "in the nicest spirit" - that must be a nice malt
  • Options

Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

Also, the fish contracts are commercial agreements to certain companies / vessels. For example,one Dutch family own a boat (registered in the UK, "owned" by a UK company) has the right to catch 25% of all UK based cod because they have bought out competitors and acquired their quotas.

They sell all the UK catch abroad to non-EU countries. Please explain how Brexit will solve this....
    The government could issue fresh quotas with new requirements, eg, that a certain percentage of the quota required to be landed at UK ports; that the crew included UK citizens; that the boats were not over a certain size, that under competition law no associated companies were to have more than 5% of the rights, etc.

I remember when my firm was buying prime agricultural farms in Angus and paying more for the milk quota than they were for the land and buildings. It is utterly ridiculous when markets are distorted to such an extent. Milk quota, in those days, was a licence to print money but there was no guarantee that that would always be the case and once we are out of the CFP it will be for us to decide how consents are given out. Unless, of course, we have agreed otherwise.
  • Options

wasn't that earlier (supposedly)
  • Options

Sky

IMF reckon it could upgrade us. If it's too good I'm going to be staring an exchange loss at year end in the books here !
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's floundering.
    A bad case of Grouper Think
    The sole reason for all this is the absence of news.
  • Options
    "And here is a quote from the Tony Blair speech this afternoon. He described the deal, on the basis of what has been reported about it, as a “capitulation”"

Guaranteed to pass. Corbyn now has to vote in favour
  • Options

Sky

“I’ve spoken to cabinet and nobody agrees on anything. I’ve had to put up with this bloody bickering for 2 years and I can’t stand it anymore, I’m off - good luck trying to do any better.”?
  • Options

wasn't that earlier (supposedly)
    Just reported it now
  • Options
    I see more House of Fraser closures agreed today. Still not as many as planned pre Administration but already more than Ashley announced as his target when he took over. They are big and prominent holes to fill in provisional city centres.
  • Options

Sky

It is interesting strategy and hostage to fortune if somebody quits about the deal. She will look as though she has lost control if someone goes hostile whilst she is on the threshold of No.10!
  • Options
    If Tracey Crouch's resignation helps lead to a u-turn on FOBT, she should immediately be installed as favourite for next Tory leader...

Seems only fair.
  • Options

The EU is funding it - with British taxpayers' money. The bit that they generously give back to us on condition they can plaster their stupid flag everywhere.
    The BBC never notices that when it lauds EU funding - wonder why?
  • Options

If Tracey Crouch's resignation helps lead to a u-turn on FOBT, she should immediately be installed as favourite for next Tory leader...

Seems only fair.

It has been reversed.Tracey has won
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Fenster said:

He knows his plaice.
    He's experienced the piece of cod which passeth all understanding.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Of all the cabinet options, McVey would lead to the biggest defeat.
    And yet some folk still wonder why I ramp #Esther4Leader
  • Options

Sky

“I’ve spoken to cabinet and nobody agrees on anything. I’ve had to put up with this bloody bickering for 2 years and I can’t stand it anymore, I’m off - good luck trying to do any better.”?
    You really would not blame her
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Has it been confirmed that those two have resigned?

If so Rudd back in pronto is there a market?

I wonder. Tracey Crouch could just have had the most spectacularly successful resignation in history: forced the change in policy she objected to and then invited back into the government within days, and with a promotion to boot?
    I endorse this message..... especially for 600+ to 1 reasons
  • Options

Seems only fair.

It has been reversed.Tracey has won
    Hoorar! May I also refer punters to all the positive endorsements her stance and indeed her character got from across Parliament and clergy alike....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I wonder. Tracey Crouch could just have had the most spectacularly successful resignation in history: forced the change in policy she objected to and then invited back into the government within days, and with a promotion to boot?
    are you green the field or have you specifically backed her?
  • Options

I think that says volumes about her and not in a good way. More interested in keeping power than rowing in behind the Government.

Boris commanding the Brexiteers to resign on mass yesterday has shown how much authority he has within the PCP i.e. None!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Fenster said:

And I assume they need to have the detail of the deal already, including the future relationship to make that prediction.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course, but it is worth remembering that it's a lot easier to sign free trade deals if you export largely commodities (Chile, Iceland, Canada, or Australia) than if you have a complex economy that exports things that compete with protected domestic firms.

This doesn't mean we can't achieve it, or that it isn't a worthy goal. But a read through the average FTA, shows how much many countries protect the very things where we are strongest.
    So we'll have to start building those gunboats? Yet more jobs and in shipbuilding too.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

are you green the field or have you specifically backed her?
    Backed her along with a few others but she was the rank outsider on those I've punted on... and as those sort of odds suggest!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Leicester Liz on telly. :blush:
  • Options

I think that says volumes about her and not in a good way. More interested in keeping power than rowing in behind the Government.

Boris commanding the Brexiteers to resign on mass yesterday has shown how much authority he has within the PCP i.e. None!
    Put back in his box.
  • Options

Leicester Liz on telly. :blush:

shame three quarters of her fans are on PB
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

The government could issue fresh quotas with new requirements, eg, that a certain percentage of the quota required to be landed at UK ports; that the crew included UK citizens; that the boats were not over a certain size, that under competition law no associated companies were to have more than 5% of the rights, etc.

I remember when my firm was buying prime agricultural farms in Angus and paying more for the milk quota than they were for the land and buildings. It is utterly ridiculous when markets are distorted to such an extent. Milk quota, in those days, was a licence to print money but there was no guarantee that that would always be the case and once we are out of the CFP it will be for us to decide how consents are given out. Unless, of course, we have agreed otherwise.
    Howrver, as I pointed out, Gove has promised to maintain existing quotas in his whitepaper, and being in the CFP does not prevent reallocation.

"One of the key statements hidden in the 60-page white paper is: “We do not intend to change the method for allocating existing quota.”

In other words, the vast majority of the UK’s catch will be handled in the same way, even after Brexit. Currently, three big companies control two thirds of the UK’s catch, while smaller vessels are disadvantaged. "

• Options

TOPPING said:

Checking it's overall about £8 staked with average odds of 860-1....

I am however entirely unbiased on the subject of next Tory leader.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'll be honest if that comes off you deserve it
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

Howrver, as I pointed out, Gove has promised to maintain existing quotas in his whitepaper, and being in the CFP does not prevent reallocation.

"One of the key statements hidden in the 60-page white paper is: “We do not intend to change the method for allocating existing quota.”

In other words, the vast majority of the UK’s catch will be handled in the same way, even after Brexit. Currently, three big companies control two thirds of the UK’s catch, while smaller vessels are disadvantaged. "

"do not intend" in political speak carries a silent "yet"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Theo said:

Tough on Scottish fish,

My understanding was that that undertaking was for the transitional period only. We have also been told that there is nothing in this agreement about this (which surprises me). A UK White paper is not a binding commitment. I think we will have to wait and see but there are a number of new Scottish Tory MPs whose future may turn on this.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'll be honest if that comes off you deserve it
    There's a big IF there of course... but it's nice to see a good egg and fellow Spurs fan making a positive impact and avoiding all the Brexit mud-slinging too throughout.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Sky

Didn't one of the German princes when forced to abdicate in 1918 say something like "good luck trying to sort this crap out by yourselves"?
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't it really easy to get a trade deal with the US if you simply sign up to their boiler plate one which gives the US all the benefits? I'd guess with most countries a trade deal is very easy to get, if you aren't fussed about it actually getting concessions to aid your own trade and are willing to give them whatever they want. I was a bit worried that the Fantastic Dr Fox might be tempted to go around the world signing anything put in front of him.
    The best trade deal that is ready made for us is the Trans Pacific Partnership. Some of the signatories have already asked us to join, Canada, Japan and Australia have already vetted it to be good for various advanced economies, and the crap the US put in it was cut out after Trump's tantrum. Once that is done we can negotiate as a bloc with the USA trying to reenter good relations with the world post-Trump.

All possible under this great deal. Impossible with a hard left Corbyn government trying to build socialism in one country in the midst of an economic crash.
This discussion has been closed.