Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those who rubbished Survation and the YouGov model look pretty

Comments

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I thought YouGov's model was brave and interesting, and said so at the time. I just wish I'd paid more attention to it.

I thought it was brave and interesting. I didn't realise it would also be accurate!
    Preach, near-namesake.
    It was clearly going to get better over time as YouGov refined the methodology and had practical feedback from elections.

It all feels a bit SNP 2015, how do you follow it up? I'm calling peak YouGov.
    YouGov Labour 35 %
    GE. Labour 41%

I think we're someway off peak YouGov.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    dixiedean said:

LOL. First caller on Any Answers wants Phil Davies of Shipley as new PM! We are so far down the rabbit hole!

I was quite pleased with the false reports he'd lost
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

alex. said:

May is trying to negotiate a formal coalition with the DUP? Jesus Christ. I've said her staying on as PM seems the only viable option at the moment, but this is getting silly now. What's the point of a coalition when it will barely give them a majority anyway. And they'll quite happily walk away at any time. Surely the DUP won't be interested anyway which makes her look even more silly?

The DUP thing won't last through Monday.
    In which case an election might be coming sooner than anyone hopes, or actually wanted.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Focus groups are inherently unscientific, but a few interesting comments from swing voterws here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/10/voices-and-votes-leaders-personality-crucial-in-unexpected-election-result

Interesting. But this election shows it's not just about "swing" voters but turnout differentials as well.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    So a couple of pollsters guessed right, big deal. It's all this game is - a guess.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2017
    tlg86 said:

Here's a piece of analysis that needs doing. Did turnout increase more in areas that voted Remain? Did the Tories suffer in

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Not a good look to let backroom staff carry the can. Tories still don't get it.

I think most of us want her out.
    It's not just May. There are deeper problems with Conservatism today. Not for the first time Europe has caused the Tories real problems. Two leaders post Brexit.
    I dunno about that. I agree with you in that Mrs Mays spell as PM achieved absolutely nothing, no policy that was followed through and no vision. And said so many times.
    However when the alternative is Corbyn what choice is there? Particularly given the Lib Dems bizarre positioning.
    Thanks to honorable Dave's decision to resign.

You are obviously never going to accept that he may have made a mistake and that's fine.

Personally, I think he made a catastrophic error. I think he could have commanded a lot of respect by facing up to the referendum result and 'getting on with the job', to quote one of his cliches.
    What was the catastrophic error?
    I imagine he felt somewhat miffed that he delivered the majority the Tories hadn't won since 1992 and within 6 months the same cretins who had buggered Major up were up to their tricks again?
    He only delivered the majority by promising a referendum on Europe!
  • Options

marke09 said:

some guy on SKY syaing hes been speaking to Con MPs and thy say the nexyt leader should come from outside cabinet

and a spurs supporter...

@500-1...
    or ex-military vs the pacifist.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    alex. said:

Re: the main topic what i don't really understand is why the Labour vote was understated, but there wasn't a corollary of an overstatement in the Tory vote.

Ukip and the SNP were overstated.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

It's not just May. There are deeper problems with Conservatism today. Not for the first time Europe has caused the Tories real problems. Two leaders post Brexit.
    I dunno about that. I agree with you in that Mrs Mays spell as PM achieved absolutely nothing, no policy that was followed through and no vision. And said so many times.
    However when the alternative is Corbyn what choice is there? Particularly given the Lib Dems bizarre positioning.

You are obviously never going to accept that he may have made a mistake and that's fine.

Personally, I think he made a catastrophic error. I think he could have commanded a lot of respect by facing up to the referendum result and 'getting on with the job', to quote one of his cliches.
    I imagine he felt somewhat miffed that he delivered the majority the Tories hadn't won since 1992 and within 6 months the same cretins who had buggered Major up were up to their tricks again?
    The error was resigning and forcing the party into an unneeded leadership contest after a devisive referendum of his devising. He said he wouldn't resign and then did. He left everybody in the lurch.

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I still struggle to comprehend a world where Mansfield goes Blue and Canterbury goes Red

But it is also a world where those of us who snipe from the sidelines about Brexit must accept some of the blame too. It does not help to heal when so many won't accept the result of a referendum.

I don't know what the new social settlement looks like - but by god do we need one.
    People don't accept it because it is likely it will make the country and specifically households worse off. That is why I don't accept it. Through no fault of my own I am worse off than I would be had that Referendum never been held. Prices have risen whilst incomes are now falling below behind the rate of increase of price rises. I don't accept the result because it was based on lies i.e. £350M per week for the NHS and the ending of mass immigration. Theresa May has just lost an election with her platform focused on Brexit, the public is telling politicians something there.
    Thanks for giving a perfect example of one of the two problems I outline.

Do you never accept the result of democracy when you lose, or just this time?
    I understand what you are saying, my point is the lies from Leave and particularly on Immigration and the NHS make me angry. I resent being made poorer through an ill-informed population making a decision like this. People I knew were voting Leave because they thought trade deals could be quickly negotiated, that Immigration would stop, that the NHS would get extra funding and manufacturing would somehow re-appear. It was a prospectus built on sand and the chickens are coming home to roost for the Tories who instigated it all.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

The practical way forward for the next two years as the Brexit clock ticks down is to ditch all contentious legislation, focus on Brexit, and build a cross party consensus with a large majority to deliver it. That means consulting with Team Corbyn. May is temperamentally incapable of that. It needs Davis or Hammond to be in charge.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,292
    Roger said:

"Remember that Survation poll that was attacked for the numbers sampled who had said that they had watched the Question Time special with Corbyn and TMay.

This and other polls that recorded highish turnout rates from the younger generation were fiercely criticised. I received hosts of attacking Tweets even for having the temerity to circulate poll numbers from Survation and YouGov"

Back to the old PB adage "A Rogue poll is one whose results you don't like.

Polly Toynbee very good on Any Questions and there's clear anti-Tory sentiment. There are a lot of losers in this election. None more so than the Mail and the Sun.

Jonathan Dimbleby did remind her that this was no Labour victory and with next years boundary changes in place Mrs May would have had around 80 seats more than Labour.

Labour's votes are in the wrong places after 2018. A win on the popular vote for Labour could still mean a Tory majority. Cameron and Osborne really were master tacticians.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Can Labour afford another election. Ditto SNP...
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Alistair said:

tlg86 said:

Here's a piece of analysis that needs doing. Did turnout increase more in areas that voted Remain? Did the Tories suffer from Brexiteers not voting?

There was a significant shit in
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

He only delivered the majority by promising a referendum on Europe!
    Maybe so...Doubt it made much difference in the Lib Dem seats he won? Think the SNP/ Lab thing played more of a part.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

Survation and YouGov faced lots of ridicule from the experts. Even here on PB.

All have gone quiet.

I was - and still am - critical of You Gov's change of methodology for their final poll. But I always maintained that it was much healthier to have pollsters giving different polls.

Martin Boon should apologise.
    He's already has
    Fair enough.
    re=reading it, not quite an apology more admission of guilt.

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/873153967940829184
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed, I still cannot get over the number of Conservative Brexiters that were shocked or angry when Cameron resigned following the EU Referendum result, what the hell did they think was going to happen? And if he was a regular reader of PB.com as some have suggested, I doubt he would have been minded to hang around after going from majoirty achieving hero to failed EU negociating villain. :)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

All have gone quiet.

I was - and still am - critical of You Gov's change of methodology for their final poll. But I always maintained that it was much healthier to have pollsters giving different polls.

He's already has
    Fair enough.
    re=reading it, not quite an apology more admission of guilt.

https://twitter.com/martinboon/status/873153967940829184
    I saw that one, definitely not the apology I was thinking of.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    Nigelb said:

Yup.

But

I take responsibility for my part in this election campaign, which was the oversight of our policy programme. In particular, I regret the decision not to include in the manifesto a ceiling as well as a floor in our proposal to help meet the increasing cost of social care.

But I would like to make clear that the bizarre media reports about my own role in the policy’s inclusion are wrong: it had been the subject of many months of work within Whitehall, and it was not my personal pet project. I chose not to rebut these reports as they were published, as to have done so would have been a distraction for the campaign.

But I take responsibility for the content of the whole manifesto, which I continue to believe is an honest and strong programme for government.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2017/06/nick-timothy-why-i-have-resigned-as-the-prime-ministers-adviser.html

From today's Times: "John Godfrey, the No 10 policy chief had spent months working on a cap to social care costs, but saw it ripped up in favour of a floor..."
    Apparently the ripping was at least partly Timothy's decision.

(Incidentally, I must apologise for assuming previously that Godfrey bore some responsibility for the fuckup.)
    So basically Timothy's self-exculpatory statement appears to be disingenuous bollocks.

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I still struggle to comprehend a world where Mansfield goes Blue and Canterbury goes Red

But it is also a world where those of us who snipe from the sidelines about Brexit must accept some of the blame too. It does not help to heal when so many won't accept the result of a referendum.

I don't know what the new social settlement looks like - but by god do we need one.
    People don't accept it because it is likely it will make the country and specifically households worse off. That is why I don't accept it. Through no fault of my own I am worse off than I would be had that Referendum never been held. Prices have risen whilst incomes are now falling below behind the rate of increase of price rises. I don't accept the result because it was based on lies i.e. £350M per week for the NHS and the ending of mass immigration. Theresa May has just lost an election with her platform focused on Brexit, the public is telling politicians something there.

I understand what you are saying, my point is the lies from Leave and particularly on Immigration and the NHS make me angry. I resent being made poorer through an ill-informed population making a decision like this. People I knew were voting Leave because they thought trade deals could be quickly negotiated, that Immigration would stop, that the NHS would get extra funding and manufacturing would somehow re-appear. It was a prospectus built on sand and the chickens are coming home to roost for the Tories who instigated it all.
    I still stand in awe and the readiness and rapidity with which Johnson, and most of all, Gove, embraced this fantasy.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Genius! It's like beating the dog when the Grandmother breaks wind.
    This is outrageous ! It is all Baldrick's fault ! Actually, typical of me me May.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,000
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Aye, I was one of the many who thought YouGov/Survation would be some way off.

I do think there's a danger with both politics and polling of viewing things through the prism of the last war. Next time, things are always a little different.

Some possibilities for the next election:
    Referendum revenge abates, natural Conservatives return home
    Complacent voters see real risk of Corbyn, vote blue
    Enthused younger generation turn out at a similar rate, Labour share remains strong or improves
    Labour gets improved tactical voting in Scotland
    UKIP bounce back as any deal won't be Kipper enough for some, primarily harms the Conservatives
    Lord Buckethead becomes Prime Minister and leads the nation to a new Golden Age
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I still stand in awe and the readiness and rapidity with which Johnson, and most of all, Gove, embraced this fantasy.
    *at * the readiness, that should be.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Roger said:

"Remember that Survation poll that was attacked for the numbers sampled who had said that they had watched the Question Time special with Corbyn and TMay.

This and other polls that recorded highish turnout rates from the younger generation were fiercely criticised. I received hosts of attacking Tweets even for having the temerity to circulate poll numbers from Survation and YouGov"

Polly Toynbee very good on Any Questions and there's clear anti-Tory sentiment. There are a lot of losers in this election. None more so than the Mail and the Sun.

Jonathan Dimbleby did remind her that this was no Labour victory and with next years boundary changes in place Mrs May would have had around 80 seats more than Labour.

Labour's votes are in the wrong places after 2018. A win on the popular vote for Labour could still mean a Tory majority. Cameron and Osborne really were master tacticians.
    You think the boundary changes will be approved by this Parliament?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I thought YouGov's model was brave and interesting, and said so at the time. I just wish I'd paid more attention to it.

I thought it was brave and interesting. I didn't realise it would also be accurate!
    Preach, near-namesake.
    It was clearly going to get better over time as YouGov refined the methodology and had practical feedback from elections.

It all feels a bit SNP 2015, how do you follow it up? I'm calling peak YouGov.
    I tracked the YouGov model daily and reported on here the day before the election that it was moving to Labour and away from Tory and SNP.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I have to admit that my first thought after the GE result was in was to ask myself if we were now lookng at an Autumn GE, and if so, could any of the major parties afford another one never mind the smaller ones?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently Boris has been receiving calls, and stands ready if needed...
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

The error was resigning and forcing the party into an unneeded leadership contest after a devisive referendum of his devising. He said he wouldn't resign and then did. He left everybody in the lurch.

Indeed, I think Cameron will be judged very harshly for the way he just resigned. Paradoxically, May has to go though as she lost a General Election that she instigated. May has clearly shown she is not up to the task of communicating the interests of the British people. She cannot communicate her agenda to the electorate, what hope has she got to rival powers?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127

Good afternoon, everyone.

Aye, I was one of the many who thought YouGov/Survation would be some way off.

I do think there's a danger with both politics and polling of viewing things through the prism of the last war. Next time, things are always a little different.

Some possibilities for the next election:
    Referendum revenge abates, natural Conservatives return home
    Complacent voters see real risk of Corbyn, vote blue
    Enthused younger generation turn out at a similar rate, Labour share remains strong or improves
    Labour gets improved tactical voting in Scotland
    UKIP bounce back as any deal won't be Kipper enough for some, primarily harms the Conservatives
    Lord Buckethead becomes Prime Minister and leads the nation to a new Golden Age

I predict that at the next election Labour will offer to write off all student tuition debts.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

With a free army of willing young foot soldiers, getting the vote out, and freely hijacking social media for free I am not so sure big money is as important for Labour as it once was. Doubtless helps I guess.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

The open goal we missed
    viewcodeviewcode • Posts: 3,901
    June 4
    @isam

I enjoyed your blog post http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-problem-with-opinion-polls-polls.html?m=1 but you need to know that YouGov have since 2015 implemented some of your recommendations, specifically

* actively recruiting the unengaged
    * weighting by political engagement

I don't know if it works or if they are doing it right. But they are doing it

viewcode • Posts: 3,901 June 4
    I think you'll find the answer in these links, tho' I haven't had time to read thru them

Before 2017
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/07/analysis-what-went-wrong-our-ge15-polling-and-what/
    * https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/x4ae830iac/YouGov – GE2015 Post Mortem.pdf
    * https://www.research-live.com/article/video/interview-with-stephan-shakespeare/id/5000652

2017 GE
    * https://www.research-live.com/article/opinion/are-pollsters-ready-for-the-election/id/5021472
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/01/pollsters-experimental-election/

2017 GE Model
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/yougovs-election-model/
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/yougov-election-model-q/
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/how-yougov-model-2017-general-election-works/

Thank you, that's quite complimentary. I have to point out that others, including Casino_Royale and you, were wise enough to not dismiss the YouGov pol out of hand. OGH also implied a mode effect in play, which was another warning sign.
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Oh, and the other error was hubris. He thought he couldn't lose the referendum and did no contingency planning. The Civil Service was not allowed to make any preparation. Friends in the Treasury told me they were forbidden to even spend time thinking about Brexit. All of that was a massive dereliction of duty and now we are in this quagmire.

I appreciate you think differently.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Freggles said:

Roger said:

They affect he DUP quite badly don't they?

I've just remembered that the DUP leader isbat the centre of the cash for ash scandal.
  • Options
    Re MANSFIELD
    I live in the adjacent constituency (Ashfield) but the result is not such a great surprise as it might seem from outside. "Sir" Alan Meale has been MP for the last 30 years, sine the days when the constituency was in the gift of the National Union of Mineworkers. The feeling seemed to be that he has done alright for himself, not so well for Mansfield.
    Things have changed around here: recently the Mayor of Mansfield was an Independent, whereas at one time he would have had to be Labour. Also the question of Brexit is important, as Alan Meale was for Remain, and this is a strong area for Leave. It was known that he was under threat, and so it came to pass.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    So Survation underestimated Tory support yet again? Ahem. Well played.

My thoughts on the election having had some sleep.

Scotland extremely satisfactory. Only 2 very narrow results in Perth and Fife NE stopped it being pretty much perfect. Indyref2 is gone and won't come back short of an SNP majority in Holyrood. This was the most important thing for me so despite the overall picture I still have the grin I got on my face when the result from Gordon came in.

Nationally, this is not much short of a disaster. A coalition with the DUP almost turns my stomach. Ruth, who tweeted a reference to her gay marriage speech in Belfast, is once again spot on. I would prefer a minority government and if it goes down so be it.

May really has to go within weeks. She needs to acknowledge that this is inevitable and start to work on the handover. Going into another election with her is simply inconceivable and another election could happen at any time (see previous paragraph).

The replacement is trickier. Hammond is a possibility but we have no idea how he would do in an election since he took no part in this one. Personally I would go for Hunt, an assured media performer. Whoever it is it has to be a more cabinet based government, a team effort.

Going forward, for as long as this government lasts, Brexit has to be the sole focus. Everything else has to be on the backburner as it should have been during the campaign of course. Stripped down, steady government focussed on the important stuff. No frills, no diversions, minimal legislation, just Brexit on the best possible terms.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Top Tory Nigel Evans added: “A manifesto should be about apple pie and cream but ours was laced with arsenic.”

• Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Pretty sure most of his party realised he'd resign if leave won. Bizarrely plenty of them were happy for it to happen as were many Tories on here.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Oh, and the other error was hubris. He thought he couldn't lose the referendum and did no contingency planning. The Civil Service was not allowed to make any preparation. Friends in the Treasury told me they were forbidden to even spend time thinking about Brexit. All of that was a massive dereliction of duty and now we are in this quagmire.

If he had allowed 'preparation' for Brexit to take place he would have been accused of undermining the Brexiteers because it would have highlighted that were asking the country to jump into an abyss.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Roger said:

A Tory three line whip, promising hopeful candidacies to the dispossessed and concessions to the DUP, why not?
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed, I think Cameron will be judged very harshly for the way he just resigned. Paradoxically, May has to go though as she lost a General Election that she instigated. May has clearly shown she is not up to the task of communicating the interests of the British people. She cannot communicate her agenda to the electorate, what hope has she got to rival powers?
    I agree about May. She has no credibility for negotiating Brexit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'll be tearing up my membership card if that happens.

Caveat - unless he guarantees to deliver that £350m pw for the NHS - without that commitment he's toast as a leader to get behind as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    fitalass said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Agreed, I still cannot get over the number of Conservative Brexiters that were shocked or angry when Cameron resigned following the EU Referendum result, what the hell did they think was going to happen? And if he was a regular reader of PB.com as some have suggested, I doubt he would have been minded to hang around after going from majoirty achieving hero to failed EU negociating villain. :)
    Whether Cameron stayed or resigned was not an issue for me. I voted on the merits of EU membership.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited June 2017
    Has anyone yet commented on the irony of the 2015 poster campaign which had Ed Miliband in Alex Salmond's pocket?

Yet another of the great advertising poster own goals........

https://b0wie.s3.amazonaws.com/styles/tb-wall-dynamic-style/s3/NOTHINSUCKS.jpg?lR4NxQu3cioC84JpekR3KXgHtHqn9D.G&itok=yJ2o10XQ

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

A Tory three line whip, promising hopeful candidacies to the dispossessed and concessions to the DUP, why not?

A Unionist from NI (Lucian Fletcher is I think the poster's name) posted on pb.com that the DUP would block the boundary changes because they are very bad for Unionists in NI.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2017
    Re: The Sun and the Mail

I think one reason the attacks on Corbyn were ineffective was because hardly any under 35s read newspapers. They get their news from websites. And If you go to a site like Mail Online you'll see that even in an election, celebrity tittle tattle is usually the most prominent rather than political stuff, presumably as it draws more visitors.

Of course, it could also be due to Momentum activists buying and burning all the copies of the Sun....!
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

I don't disagree with that point. It's good to disagree..be boring if we were all pining for the Golden Years of the Posh Boys and Clegg!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    edited June 2017
    marke09 said:

some guy on SKY syaing hes been speaking to Con MPs and thy say the nexyt leader should come from outside cabinet

That's fine if your talking about just a party leader or LOTO but it's much more difficult if its party leader and Prime Minister...

Personally can't see that working out until the Tories are booted on to the Opposition benches (which could happen at any moment of course)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Surely not?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

Scott_P said:

Caveat - unless he guarantees to deliver that £350m pw for the NHS - without that commitment he's toast as a leader to get behind as far as I'm concerned.
    Will Heseltine keep quiet if he runs? Somehow, I doubt it.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,495
    DavidL said:

Scotland extremely satisfactory. Only 2 very narrow results in Perth and Fife NE stopped it being pretty much perfect. Indyref2 is gone and won't come back short of an SNP majority in Holyrood. This was the most important thing for me so despite the overall picture I still have the grin I got on my face when the result from Gordon came in.

Nationally, this is not much short of a disaster. A coalition with the DUP almost turns my stomach. Ruth, who tweeted a reference to her gay marriage speech in Belfast, is once again spot on. I would prefer a minority government and if it goes down so be it.

May really has to go within weeks. She needs to acknowledge that this is inevitable and start to work on the handover. Going into another election with her is simply inconceivable and another election could happen at any time (see previous paragraph).

The replacement is trickier. Hammond is a possibility but we have no idea how he would do in an election since he took no part in this one. Personally I would go for Hunt, an assured media performer. Whoever it is it has to be a more cabinet based government, a team effort.

Going forward, for as long as this government lasts, Brexit has to be the sole focus. Everything else has to be on the backburner as it should have been during the campaign of course. Stripped down, steady government focussed on the important stuff. No frills, no diversions, minimal legislation, just Brexit on the best possible terms.

Yes.

I would like to see a statement from May that Davis will start the Brexit process going as the lead negotiator, and that she will oversee the first few months as a caretaker. But she acknowledges the bad result and cannot remain as leader. Leadership contest over the summer, new leader in place for the conference season.

Her position is untenable. If she tries to hang on she will do tremendous damage.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    Genius! It's like beating the dog when the Grandmother breaks wind.
    This is outrageous ! It is all Baldrick's fault ! Actually, typical of me me May.
    Actually, if half of what is written about them is true, they more than deserve to be sacked. In no way does this get May off the hook, though.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    edited June 2017
    Jason said:

Top Tory Nigel Evans added: “A manifesto should be about apple pie and cream but ours was laced with arsenic.”

Ha, ha. He's also said that the only thing missing was a pledge to euthanize the over 70s.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,358
    Mortimer said:

Labour yes, up to a point. Partly the membership (now over 600K and rising) gives a useful floor - £10m/year or so, depending on what rates they pay. Partly the CLPs do a lot of self-funding - Broxtowe has raised enough money for both this and the next election, though I realise this is much harder in less prosperous areas.

But the megabucks that CCHQ has to spend on Facebook etc. are not there. Fortunately they turned out to be less effective than expected. It would be interesting to discuss why. FWIW, my theory is that internet ads are nearly always interrupted by users within seconds or left to run while the user flips to another window. What really worked for the Tories in 2015 was carefully-prepared microtargeting - George Smith at 17 Acacia Ave is worried about Scotland, let's send him a letter about that. With a snap election there was no time for that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    edited June 2017
    viewcode said:

isam said:

The open goal we missed
    viewcodeviewcode • Posts: 3,901
    June 4

I enjoyed your blog post http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-problem-with-opinion-polls-polls.html?m=1 but you need to know that YouGov have since 2015 implemented some of your recommendations, specifically

* actively recruiting the unengaged
    * weighting by political engagement

I don't know if it works or if they are doing it right. But they are doing it

viewcode • Posts: 3,901 June 4
    I think you'll find the answer in these links, tho' I haven't had time to read thru them

Before 2017
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/07/analysis-what-went-wrong-our-ge15-polling-and-what/
    * https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/x4ae830iac/YouGov – GE2015 Post Mortem.pdf
    * https://www.research-live.com/article/video/interview-with-stephan-shakespeare/id/5000652

2017 GE
    * https://www.research-live.com/article/opinion/are-pollsters-ready-for-the-election/id/5021472
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/01/pollsters-experimental-election/

2017 GE Model
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/yougovs-election-model/
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/yougov-election-model-q/
    * https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/05/31/how-yougov-model-2017-general-election-works/

Thank you, that's quite complimentary. I have to point out that others, including Casino_Royale and you, were wise enough to not dismiss the YouGov pol out of hand. OGH also implied a mode effect in play, which was another warning sign.
    No problemo. To be honest, I know v little about polling methodology etc, and my reading of it, although I didn't actually say so, was that the swing to Labour was because of over sampling of the politically engaged. You pointed out that swing was from a pollster that had changed their methodology to include more politically disinterested, but I failed to join the dots. So I was probably right to highlight the problem but you were the one who spelt out the conclusion

Mike told me that some pollsters were making changes to do this also, surprising that he didn't help amend my article to point us towards value bets rather than binning it
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

I'm sure it'll be an aspiration for any future Con leader. It should have been in Theresa's manifesto. I was surprised it wasn't...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    Jason said:

In other words, don't be candid with the electorate about difficult decisions that need to be made in case it upsets them. I'm sure political parties won't in the future.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

Her position is untenable. If she tries to hang on she will do tremendous damage.

Rather like Brexit itself, there is not scenario now that will not do tremendous damage. It's a question of choosing the lesser evil.
  • Options
    Mr. Sibthorpe, welcome to pb.com :)

Boris as leader would be horrendous. And hasn't Ruth Davidson said she'd leave if he were leader? If SCon MPs followed her, it'd be sub-optimal.

• Options
    @jameskirkup: Juncker's chief of staff says Nick Timothy is the "fall guy" (for May's errors?) Brexit talks shaping up nicely th… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/873530711797530624
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It was very good, although not everywhere (as you'd expect). It had Bath down as a 3-way marginal whereas it remained a LD/Con marginal.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The lesson seems clear. It is very easy to tell what level of support a party has but very difficult to translate that into votes because it all depends on whether people actually end up going to the polling station. No surprise that the exit poll should be accurate - likelihood to vote is 100%

So why does the "losing" side always do not believe the exit poll at first?

One of the things coming out in 2017 as well as in 2015 is that the political parties themselves are not fully aware. John McDonnell was not exactly joining in with the exit poll at 10:01 pm. He was hedging his bets, so to speak.

Surely the massive swings would have been detected at constituency level ?
    It's not so much that they don't believe it, more that they're always a bit shocked by it, which is understandable.
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213
    edited June 2017

Jonathan said:

Labourites should lay off and keep their counsel. Let her fudge with the frothing bigots from NI and sack her backroom team. Let her execute the retoxification strategy. Never - never! - interrupt your opponent when she is making a mistake.
    Yes, indeed
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

If they think that Boris is the answer, then they are asking the wrong question! I still maintain that Michael Gove did the right thing despite the huge personal political hit he took as a result of his actions. Seriously, anyone within the PCP who has not already taken on board the very clear reasons behind Gove's doubts about Boris's lack of Leadership abilities should now be worried that he is even letting this kind of destabilising briefing drip out.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    DavidL said:

The strengthening of support for the Union is the one big positive from this election (and in the long run, perhaps the most important outcome).

I'd prefer May to go in months, rather than weeks, like Michael Howard did. No good decisions get made in haste.
  • Options
    @AidanKerrTweets: Conservative peer Lord Dunlop has resigned as a junior Scotland Office minister following the election of more than 1 Scottish Tory MP.
  • Options

Re MANSFIELD
    I live in the adjacent constituency (Ashfield) but the result is not such a great surprise as it might seem from outside. "Sir" Alan Meale has been MP for the last 30 years, sine the days when the constituency was in the gift of the National Union of Mineworkers. The feeling seemed to be that he has done alright for himself, not so well for Mansfield.
    Things have changed around here: recently the Mayor of Mansfield was an Independent, whereas at one time he would have had to be Labour. Also the question of Brexit is important, as Alan Meale was for Remain, and this is a strong area for Leave. It was known that he was under threat, and so it came to pass.

The results in the east Midlands seems to have gone very different from the rest of the country. you say the result from Mansfield was partly down to the local MP but Ashfield was vey close aswell. Why did the tories almost GAIN Ashfield as well at the same time as losing High Peak?
  • Options
    On a brighter note, I don't think England will be leaving out Rashid again any time soon - and their is a decent prospect of knocking Australia out of the tournament this afternoon.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

I;m sure it'll be an aspiration for any future Con leader. It should have been in Theresa's manifesto.

I was surprised it wasn't...
    They forgot that public services existed. Had very little to say on the NHS. Had very little to say on education that was truly positive and aspirational. Nothing much at all on transport policy, unless I missed it.

The NHS won it for the leave campaign. It needed to be a greater focus rather than nebulous stuff on trade relationships and goods and services.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    GIN1138 said:

marke09 said:

That's fine if your talking about just a party leader or LOTO but it's much more difficult if its party leader and Prime Minister...

Personally can't see that working out until the Tories are booted on to the Opposition benches (which could happen at any moment of course)
    I presume that's a younger generation of MPs saying - you made a mess of it, now get out of the way.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

Pretty sure most of his party realised he'd resign if leave won. Bizarrely plenty of them were happy for it to happen as were many Tories on here.
    For the record, I am not a PB Tory, more of an old-fashioned pre-SDP Liberal, so very much in a minority.

I wonder if those who were happy that he resigned are happy with what we have now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

The strengthening of support for the Union is the one big positive from this election (and in the long run, perhaps the most important outcome).

I'd prefer May to go in months, rather than weeks, like Michael Howard did. No good decisions get made in haste.
    I'm trying to work out the logistics of what will happen if this attempted DUP thing crashes away very quickly, as appearances begin to suggest that it might.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But she could announce it tomorrow
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,924
    "model", not "pol". My bad, apols.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@AidanKerrTweets: Conservative peer Lord Dunlop has resigned as a junior Scotland Office minister following the election of more than 1 Scottish Tory MP.

Never mind finally being able to ditch that Pandas joke, its great to know that we now not only have more than enough MPs to fill the Scottish Office, we can also help out elsewhere if needed! :)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Peak Corbyn, massive offers of 'free' goodies, terrible PM, worst Tory manifesto in history - and they still got 317 seats.

Labour got 262 seats.

Forget the vote share, this is FPTP, and the only thing that matters is seat share.

Almost letting a group of economically illiterate extremists to steal the keys to Downing Street is unforgivable, but Corbyn's 'surge' will dissipate, and he will go on being what he has always been.

His apologists need to get real.

• Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

After the referendum campaign he had lead, which was so strong on how disastrous Brexit would be, it was not feasible for him to remain as PM tom implement Brexit (this is incidentally one reason why referenda are a silly idea).

It's therefore mystifying that the Tories didn't choose a Leaver, but that can partly be explained by the Gove-Boris fight.

It's possible that, after the Tories failed to win a GE on a platform of a hard Brexit, with a very hostile stance towards the EU, that we might now end up with a committed Leaver as PM. Funny old world.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Yes, at least now we can say we have a government that has some measure of support from all of the home nations.
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

For the record, I am not a PB Tory, more of an old-fashioned pre-SDP Liberal, so very much in a minority.

I wonder if those who were happy that he resigned are happy with what we have now.
    I doubt it but they'll never admit it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yup.

But

I take responsibility for my part in this election campaign, which was the oversight of our policy programme. In particular, I regret the decision not to include in the manifesto a ceiling as well as a floor in our proposal to help meet the increasing cost of social care.

But I would like to make clear that the bizarre media reports about my own role in the policy’s inclusion are wrong: it had been the subject of many months of work within Whitehall, and it was not my personal pet project. I chose not to rebut these reports as they were published, as to have done so would have been a distraction for the campaign.

But I take responsibility for the content of the whole manifesto, which I continue to believe is an honest and strong programme for government.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2017/06/nick-timothy-why-i-have-resigned-as-the-prime-ministers-adviser.html

From today's Times: "John Godfrey, the No 10 policy chief had spent months working on a cap to social care costs, but saw it ripped up in favour of a floor..."
    Apparently the ripping was at least partly Timothy's decision.

(Incidentally, I must apologise for assuming previously that Godfrey bore some responsibility for the fuckup.)
    So basically Timothy's self-exculpatory statement appears to be disingenuous bollocks.

Yes.

I think that one decision is probably the second worst of the whole election campaign, the first being calling the bloody election in the first place.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    fitalass said:

Scott_P said:

Never mind finally being able to ditch that Pandas joke, its great to know that we now not only have more than enough MPs to fill the Scottish Office, we can also help out elsewhere if needed! :)
    Presumably he makes way for an elected Tory MP to fill the position as junior Scotland Office Minister.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

The practical way forward for the next two years as the Brexit clock ticks down is to ditch all contentious legislation, focus on Brexit, and build a cross party consensus with a large majority to deliver it. That means consulting with Team Corbyn. May is temperamentally incapable of that. It needs Davis or Hammond to be in charge.
    I suspect Corbyn is temperamentally incapable of that.
  • Options
    Oh and one other clear winner from the election is the great British public. The increased participation, especially by the young, is extremely healthy for our democracy even if it did what is loosely my team no favours this time.

It seems ironic when this is exactly what Corbyn did but just maybe the day of bribing the oldies and neglecting the next generation just might be over. That would be a huge long term gain for the UK.
  • Options
    All this talk of Labour's vote being inefficient reminds me of "the Democrats have an advantage in the EC", it's all nonsense ofcourse, the coalition of voters change reguarly at elections.

https://twitter.com/brtnelexben/status/873513742075650049
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Jason said:

My MP is a top Tory?

But that is hilarious.
  • Options
    @jamesrbuk: Theresa May is too weak to:
    • command a commons majority
    • reshuffle her cabinet
    • keep her advisors

But still wants to negotiate Brexit.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

Er, not sure what the thinking is behind that decision, sounds counterintuitive…

[edit: BBC now reporting story]
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40233030
  • Options
    @skynewsniall: Advisers gone, majority vanished, DUP deal, no reshuffle, leadership contenders on manoeuvres. Seriously, how much "reflection" is required?
  • Options

Er, not sure what the thinking is behind that decision, sounds counterintuitive…

He will be replaced by one of the new Scottish Tory MPs, some of whom have experience
  • Options
    @nunu - Fascinating chart, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

midwinter said:

Jonathan said:

I doubt it but they'll never admit it.
    I was reflecting on the fact this morning, that if one decides to stay in the aftermath of a setback (as May has) one can always change ones mind if it becomes clear that it was a mistake or that you don't have the support. As May may do.

If you resign immediately then there's no turning back. If Cameron had only been persuaded to think about it over the weekend then he may have decided to stay... and the world (mine at least) would be a happier place.
  • Options
    Miss Fitalass, it's just a shame Ruth Davidson can't be PM.

"Scotland saved the Conservatives. #Unexpectedplottwists"

Her or Osborne would be the stand out candidates. If only the daft sod hadn't buggered off to indulge his vendetta (as I wrote yesterday, I wonder if he regrets harming his own side with his newspaper shenanigans, or feels his mockery was vindicated by the woeful performance).
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Labour yes, up to a point. Partly the membership (now over 600K and rising) gives a useful floor - £10m/year or so, depending on what rates they pay. Partly the CLPs do a lot of self-funding - Broxtowe has raised enough money for both this and the next election, though I realise this is much harder in less prosperous areas.

But the megabucks that CCHQ has to spend on Facebook etc. are not there. Fortunately they turned out to be less effective than expected. It would be interesting to discuss why. FWIW, my theory is that internet ads are nearly always interrupted by users within seconds or left to run while the user flips to another window. What really worked for the Tories in 2015 was carefully-prepared microtargeting - George Smith at 17 Acacia Ave is worried about Scotland, let's send him a letter about that. With a snap election there was no time for that.
    Am I the only one that finds this type of targeting creepy?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Jason said:

My MP is a top Tory?

But that is hilarious.
    He's been extremely good on the media since the result came in.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Jason said:

My MP is a top Tory?

But that is hilarious.
    Since his acquittal!
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Scott_P said:

@jameskirkup: Juncker's chief of staff says Nick Timothy is the "fall guy" (for May's errors?) Brexit talks shaping up nicely th… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/873530711797530624

EU apparatchicks should keep out of UK politics.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Scott_P said:

If they think that Boris is the answer, then they are asking the wrong question! I still maintain that Michael Gove did the right thing despite the huge personal political hit he took as a result of his actions. Seriously, anyone within the PCP who has not already taken on board the very clear reasons behind Gove's doubts about Boris's lack of Leadership abilities should now be worried that he is even letting this kind of destabilising briefing drip out.

Given you apparently couldn't see what an complete and utter disaster the WFA and Death Tax policies were one does have to question your political judgement Lass.

Oh, hi, BTW. :)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Am I the only one that finds this type of targeting creepy?
    It's sophisticated and it exists. Therefore the parties can't ignore it. It sells you car insurance and tells you about music you might like, so why not a government?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    calum said:

tlg86 said:

surbiton said:

All have gone quiet.

Martin " Kaboom" Boon !
    Smartin' Martin now.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jamesrbuk: Theresa May is too weak to:
    • command a commons majority
    • reshuffle her cabinet
    • keep her advisors

But still wants to negotiate Brexit.

As someone who has (had) a lot of time for Mrs May, she just needs to face reality and go.

Now.