Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Those who rubbished Survation and the YouGov model look pretty

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

You'd think this was 1997, from some comments.

Context is everything Sean.

Go back seven weeks and tell Conservatives they'd lose their majority from a 20 point lead and they either ask what care in the community project you were in or that the Messiah has endorsed Jezza .... or probably both.
    Granted, it's very disappointing, but there's still huge Conservative support.
    Quite so.

That is why I believe it is foolish to shackle the Conservatives to the DUP. The Conservatives need to retain their coalition not alienate a substantial proportion of it.

Every time the DUP talk about gay issues, abortion, religion, climate change, dinosaurs and their influence on the Conservative government you can just see a pile of votes drain away. And then there's some of the "interesting" history of the party.

The PM, this one and the next should simply have dared the DUP to bring the government down. Instead the government will be looking over its shoulder waiting for the plug to be pulled at a time of the DUP's choosing whilst the opposition is wrapping the government to the DUP every day.
    Osborne made the point repeatedly on election night. The DUP are not the UUP. They are not Conservatives. The parties have little, if anything, in common. The modern Tory party had far more in common with the Lib Dems, far more.
    Whatever happened to the UUP?
    We actually need a thread about what happened in NI in this election, ideally from one of our locals. It has been overlooked and it is deeply troubling. In a situation where the Assembly is already suspended the centre ground, UUP, Alliance and SDLP have been wiped out with the extremes taking control. It does not auger well.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Go back seven weeks and tell Conservatives they'd lose their majority from a 20 point lead and they either ask what care in the community project you were in or that the Messiah has endorsed Jezza .... or probably both.
    Quite so.

That is why I believe it is foolish to shackle the Conservatives to the DUP. The Conservatives need to retain their coalition not alienate a substantial proportion of it.

Every time the DUP talk about gay issues, abortion, religion, climate change, dinosaurs and their influence on the Conservative government you can just see a pile of votes drain away. And then there's some of the "interesting" history of the party.

The PM, this one and the next should simply have dared the DUP to bring the government down. Instead the government will be looking over its shoulder waiting for the plug to be pulled at a time of the DUP's choosing whilst the opposition is wrapping the government to the DUP every day.
    Osborne made the point repeatedly on election night. The DUP are not the UUP. They are not Conservatives. The parties have little, if anything, in common. The modern Tory party had far more in common with the Lib Dems, far more.
    The DUP skillfully branded them as traitors and ensured their destruction. Then Paisley went ahead and did exactly what he'd lambasted the UUP for doing. It was brilliant but shameless politics. No wonder some Tories are nervous - the UUP were their sister party and they saw what the DUP did to them.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,560

At the last leadership election I said lay Boris.

For the next leadership contest I'd say the same.

If you get a choice who would it be:

Boris
    Davis
    Fallon
    Hammond
    Rudd

Edit: added Fallon
    1) Hammond 2) Rudd 3) Fallon

If it is Davis v Boris, like JohnO, I'm spoiling my ballot paper.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Granted, it's and yet the sam very disappointing, but there's still huge Conservative support.
    Quite so.

and yet the same Osborne was quite happy to cosy up to them whn he thought he needed help
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,370
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

There was a lot of NEW Conservative support as well.

The reports of 'lifelong Labour voters changing to Conservative' from the likes of Bolsover and Don Valley were true.
    The Conservatives consolidated hardcore Brexit supporters just as Brexit is about to be exposed as a giant fraud.
    Even Corbyn backs Brexit, the LD plan for a second referendum was a giant flop even if May failed to get approval for hard Brexit
    It didn't fly at this election, but is quite possibly how the story ends, nevertheless.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Quite so.

They compromised with Catholics, including Sinn Féin, too much for their voters. And got overtaken gradually during the 2000s as a result. Politicians who defected from the UUP to the DUP during that period include the current leader. Any attempt to recreate the trick after the DUP's own compromises with Sinn Féin has failed, as the DUP are much more effective at being loudly demeaning to Catholics than their predecessors.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    edited June 2017

Better get on Corbyn then as next PM, I spoke to Tory members yesterday and the overwhelming view was that if and when May goes it had to be Boris with a handful for Davidson but obviously she is not interested and has no seat
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Are the Brexiteers going to start panicking a bit here? In danger of losing control of the Brexit process.

Because they didn't fully explain what Brexit means, and the hard Brexit mandate doesn't exist now and the Commons is full of people who will prioritise the single market membership above all others.

The only weapon in their armoury now is to topple Theresa May and install a hard Brexiteer as Tory leader/PM.

Someone like Steve Baker.
    total idiocy

its not about the MPs its about the voters, if you think MPs ignoring the voters is a recipe for success then every election will be a surprise

as for somehow all will be healed by avoiding Brexit that's even dafter, the UK is beyond the pale for most of the core EU

were EU lepers, youre not actually going to get welcomed back, especially the Tories

quite why you think the Tories keeping a lanced boil going for nother 50 years is in their interest is even more idiotic

you think rosie eyed kippers want to relive the 50s youre just as bad trying to relive the noughties

the UK can never go back to where it was its like a marrage where one half has been caught cheating
    Parliament is sovereign, that's what the EU referendum was about, not about those stinking immigrants.

So Parliament can do whatever it likes.

Plus is every marriage ended after one half had been caught cheating, the divorce rate would be much higher.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,127
    blueblue said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

atia2 said:

It is clear that the Tories have twice gambled the nation's future for party advantage, and have lost both times. It's unclear to me whether the electorate will ever trust the party again, and it is fundamentally a party based on credibility and trust. The Tories could finished for a generation or more, and fully deserve to be.

What a mess we are in. What, exactly, has this party "conserved"?

People (well mainly fools) were saying the Tories will never win another majority after the 2010 general election. The Tories will outlast any of their critics.
    They did, after all, win 43.5% of the vote.

There is nevertheless a chunk of votes who went Tory for fear of Corbyn, who might otherwise have been in the LibDem/Labour market. The challenge for Labour is to find a way of keeping young voters enthused at the prospect of some radical reshaping of the unfairness in the economy, whilst finding a leadership team without the baggage and weaknesses of Corbyn and the hard left. If they can do this then the pay could easily enter the next election as favourites.
    I think Labour are favourites at the next election, but if we've learned anything, it is that public opinion is both volatile and unpredictable.
    They are in a sense, because of the humiliation the Tories have just suffered. But could the Tory leader, campaign, and manifesto be worse than they were this time? And will anyone who wasn't persuaded by Corbyn's bribes this time be persuaded next time?
    Labour will offer to write off student tuition fees debt at the next election if Corbyn and his team are in charge.

That will bribe a lot of extra voters.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    HYUFD said:

Better get on Corbyn then as next PM
    Sorry, I spent all my money when you tipped Hillary Benn as nailed on next Labour leader.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169
    jonny83 said:

Adam West has died, most famous for playing Batman in the 60's on TV.

Sad news. I still have a crayon drawing of Batman, Robin and the Batmobile I drew in 1967. I found it among my mother's things when she died.
  • Options

RobD said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Quite so.

The DUP skillfully branded them as traitors and ensured their destruction. Then Paisley went ahead and did exactly what he'd lambasted the UUP for doing. It was brilliant but shameless politics. No wonder some Tories are nervous - the UUP were their sister party and they saw what the DUP did to them.
    what did you expect ?

British governments have appeased the extremes and crushed the centre for the last 20 years
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    So about a 4% swing for a majority.

Caveat UNS!
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    edited June 2017
    IanB2 said:

BigIan said:

I think I've got the solution!

If you subtract out the 59 seats north of the border, the Tories would have 305 seats and the rest combined would have 286, so a Tory majority of 19.

Independence Now!!

If the Union breaks up on the Tories' watch they won't win 305 seats.
    Well, I wasn't being entirely serious - Conservative and Unionist Party after all. It was more my reaction to seeing this picture:

Brilliant @nytimes map showing Lab-Con swing in each constituency. This huge southern surge for Labour is fascinating and unexpected. pic.twitter.com/9EDv4cQJrX

— Joey D'Urso (@josephmdurso) June 9, 2017
  • Options

HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

Thoughts on who would be the best Stop Boris candidate?

I'd have thought Hammond is in a good position. The fact of his having being sidelined during the campaign will now be to his advantage.
    Sorry, Hammond would almost certainly not beat Corbyn, he is too dull and establishment for the current mood of the electorate and like May was a Remainer and as Chancellor is wedded to austerity, if a little less than Osborne, Boris is charismatic and populist and the only viable option
    Boris means a Corbyn government. It's that simple.
    Completely wrong, not Boris means a Corbyn government. It's that simple. Eg on London news yesterday they had a woman who said she would have voted for Boris though she did not vote for May
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Miss Fitalass, it's just a shame Ruth Davidson can't be PM.

"Scotland saved the Conservatives. #Unexpectedplottwists"

Her or Osborne would be the stand out candidates. If only the daft sod hadn't buggered off to indulge his vendetta (as I wrote yesterday, I wonder if he regrets harming his own side with his newspaper shenanigans, or feels his mockery was vindicated by the woeful performance).

Hi Morris dancer. I have to say that Osborne didn't so much bugger off to indulge his vendetta. But rather that May and her Clique of two spads told him to bugger off to the backbenches without so much as the dignity of being able to resign, and so they could avoid even thanking him for his contribution to their moving into No10 instead of the Leader of the Oppositions offices instead. They then proceeded to try and undo all the good ground work that had been laid over the years to make us electable right across the UK.

If you think that Ruth Davidson ran a good campaign for the Scottish Conservatives up here, just imagine what she could have done with a GE manifesto without the hidden toxic little gems planted by May's team without any consultation with the rest of the Cabinet. ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,907
    DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Quite so.

The UUP was not a socially liberal party, when it was dominant. The DUP is now what the UUP was. Same voters, and many of the same members. IMHO, Unionists must hang together or hang separately.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

HYUFD said:

Sorry, I spent all my money when you tipped Hillary Benn as nailed on next Labour leader.
    More chance of Tony Benn!!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

There was a lot of NEW Conservative support as well.

The reports of 'lifelong Labour voters changing to Conservative' from the likes of Bolsover and Don Valley were true.
    The Conservatives consolidated hardcore Brexit supporters just as Brexit is about to be exposed as a giant fraud.
    Even Corbyn backs Brexit, the LD plan for a second referendum was a giant flop even if May failed to get approval for hard Brexit
    It didn't fly at this election, but is quite possibly how the story ends, nevertheless.
    No, at most it will be fudged Brexit, neither the EU nor the UK voters want us back in the EU
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    The only Tory who is actually thinking long term. We need to get Labour, at least, involved with Brexit negotiations. We didn't win a majority, the public have not endorsed our Brexit plan (as vague as that was). It wouldn't be correct for the Conservatives to now push ahead with the Tory Brexit plan without any Labour input. We didn't win a mandate for it during the Brexit election.

Theresa should have had an alternative speech on Friday morning.

"Last night was a difficult night for myself and my party, though we finished with more votes than the opposition and the most seats in Parliament, it is clear that the British public have not given us their full endorsement for our Brexit plan. For that reason I will resign as party leader and PM once I have put a queens speech through parliament and trigger a leadership election within the Conservative party. I will stay on as PM and leader in the interim and will ask Labour's Brexit representative Kier Starmer to join a cross party Brexit negotiation committee to get the process of Brexit started before the next PM has been elected by my party."

That speech would have salvaged what little she has left of her reputation. Instead she is shaming our party and country by clinging on.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    Well that lot looks alot better for Labour than the post 2015 position.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    lol. This reminds me of Tony Blair talking to the PLP: "Do you think I get up every morning and try to think of new ways to piss off Labour voters?" [mutters of "Yes!"]
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Pong said:

So about a 4% swing for a majority.

Caveat UNS!
    Look at the SNP defence on that website, they have no safe seats ! If their popularity continues to drop, they are so vulnerable to being wiped out in Westminster.
  • Options

Boris
    Davis
    Fallon
    Hammond
    Rudd

Hammond would be May again.

Fallon, I suspect, is way past his best.

Rudd has fighting spirit but I wonder if Britain is tiring of bossy women politicians.
  • Options
    atia2atia2 Posts: 207
    The Tories didn't realise that Brexit was basically an anti-incumbency vote. Going to the country again was madness. They misread the reasons for the first result and I'm confident they will misread the reasons for the second. It will be wonderful to watch their fall.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    Scott_P said:
    So we're just going to ignore 17m voters and the biggest democratic mandate for change ever.

How nice.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DavidL said:

I noted previously the irony of the the Conservatives decimation of the LibDems in 2015 has subsequently led to the decimation of two Conservative Prime Ministers within a twelve month period.

• Options

Boris
    Davis
    Fallon
    Hammond
    Rudd

Oh dear such a dearth of choice

Perhaps Tories should ask ICM who is most popular

KABOOM
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

blueblue said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

atia2 said:

It is clear that the Tories have twice gambled the nation's future for party advantage, and have lost both times. It's unclear to me whether the electorate will ever trust the party again, and it is fundamentally a party based on credibility and trust. The Tories could finished for a generation or more, and fully deserve to be.

What a mess we are in. What, exactly, has this party "conserved"?

People (well mainly fools) were saying the Tories will never win another majority after the 2010 general election. The Tories will outlast any of their critics.
    They did, after all, win 43.5% of the vote.

There is nevertheless a chunk of votes who went Tory for fear of Corbyn, who might otherwise have been in the LibDem/Labour market. The challenge for Labour is to find a way of keeping young voters enthused at the prospect of some radical reshaping of the unfairness in the economy, whilst finding a leadership team without the baggage and weaknesses of Corbyn and the hard left. If they can do this then the pay could easily enter the next election as favourites.
    I think Labour are favourites at the next election, but if we've learned anything, it is that public opinion is both volatile and unpredictable.
    They are in a sense, because of the humiliation the Tories have just suffered. But could the Tory leader, campaign, and manifesto be worse than they were this time? And will anyone who wasn't persuaded by Corbyn's bribes this time be persuaded next time?
    Labour will offer to write off student tuition fees debt at the next election if Corbyn and his team are in charge.

True, but surely the Tories will simply eliminate any new taxes from their manifesto, plus add in some new tax cuts and giveaways as well - Labour won't have it all their own way, and debt cancellation on that scale will look extreme to a lot of centrist voters.
  • Options

Boris
    Davis
    Fallon
    Hammond
    Rudd

Oh dear such a dearth of choice

Perhaps Tories should ask ICM who is most popular

KABOOM
    Leave Martin alone, the first two kabooms were justified.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Are the Brexiteers going to start panicking a bit here? In danger of losing control of the Brexit process.

Because they didn't fully explain what Brexit means, and the hard Brexit mandate doesn't exist now and the Commons is full of people who will prioritise the single market membership above all others.

The only weapon in their armoury now is to topple Theresa May and install a hard Brexiteer as Tory leader/PM.

total idiocy

its not about the MPs its about the voters, if you think MPs ignoring the voters is a recipe for success then every election will be a surprise

as for somehow all will be healed by avoiding Brexit that's even dafter, the UK is beyond the pale for most of the core EU

were EU lepers, youre not actually going to get welcomed back, especially the Tories

quite why you think the Tories keeping a lanced boil going for nother 50 years is in their interest is even more idiotic

you think rosie eyed kippers want to relive the 50s youre just as bad trying to relive the noughties

the UK can never go back to where it was its like a marrage where one half has been caught cheating
    Parliament is sovereign, that's what the EU referendum was about, not about those stinking immigrants.

Plus is every marriage ended after one half had been caught cheating, the divorce rate would be much higher.
    youre just a bad as the IDS mob, you cant acually run a party without playing vendetta, it's one of the reasons the Tories are becoming nceasingly unelectable theyre more interested in their own squabbles than running country
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @chrisdeerin: Suspect Ruth D's bullishness on Brexit due to wanting to show Scot voters she can make a difference where Sturgeon failed. It's about 2021
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The only Tory who is actually thinking long term. We need to get Labour, at least, involved with Brexit negotiations. We didn't win a majority, the public have not endorsed our Brexit plan (as vague as that was). It wouldn't be correct for the Conservatives to now push ahead with the Tory Brexit plan without any Labour input. We didn't win a mandate for it during the Brexit election.

"Last night was a difficult night for myself and my party, though we finished with more votes than the opposition and the most seats in Parliament, it is clear that the British public have not given us their full endorsement for our Brexit plan. For that reason I will resign as party leader and PM once I have put a queens speech through parliament and trigger a leadership election within the Conservative party. I will stay on as PM and leader in the interim and will ask Labour's Brexit representative Kier Starmer to join a cross party Brexit negotiation committee to get the process of Brexit started before the next PM has been elected by my party."

That speech would have salvaged what little she has left of her reputation. Instead she is shaming our party and country by clinging on.
    I agree that would have been the right move. Unfortunately it would have required a Tory to put their country ahead of their party. Never gonna happen.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

DanSmith said:

Good.

The message from the election is clear. We don't want to give May a blank cheque on Brexit and we don't want Corbyn as PM either.

Let's see what the overnight polling says but I'm not sure there's a great appetite for a new Tory leader (let alone another election).

May needs to front up and say it's clear the country is still divided and she will run a more inclusive administration. The first act would be to appoint David Davis Deputy PM to lead a Brexit committee comprising representation from all four parties and all four nations.

It will be a zombie government but frankly Brexit is the only show in town and we need to be honest that only a solution appealing to the 52 and the 48 is going to work.

May is an idiot. She started with overwhelming support as the only sane adult left standing but she has ruled and campaigned on a "Me Or Them" platform, with "Them" slowly growing to include Remainers, Foreign Nationals, the Judiciary, Londoners, Students, and finally Old People.

She now needs to STFU and let others do the heavy lifting of leading, reaching out and healing. She should restrict herself to the more ceremonial aspects of the job.

+1
  • Options

Boris
    Davis
    Fallon
    Hammond
    Rudd

Rudd has fighting spirit but I wonder if Britain is tiring of bossy women politicians.

Rudd's parliamentary majority is far too small to even countenance her being PM.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Scott_P said:

Her or Osborne would be the stand out candidates. If only the daft sod hadn't buggered off to indulge his vendetta (as I wrote yesterday, I wonder if he regrets harming his own side with his newspaper shenanigans, or feels his mockery was vindicated by the woeful performance).

if May was serious about staying on and righting the ship, she could hire Osborne to replace Nick and Fiona
    Anyone who manages to persuade Osborne to come back into the fold as their key adviser will have played a blinder.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Completely wrong, not Boris means a Corbyn government. It's that simple. Eg on London news yesterday they had a woman who said she would have voted for Boris though she did not vote for May

One whole woman? Wow!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    So we're just going to ignore 17m voters and the biggest democratic mandate for change ever.

How nice.
    The Prime Minister just sought a mandate to crush the saboteurs and secure a hard Brexit. The voting public chose not to give her that. Of course the government's Brexit position needs to be rethought as a consequence.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

I'd have thought Hammond is in a good position. The fact of his having being sidelined during the campaign will now be to his advantage.
    Sorry, Hammond would almost certainly not beat Corbyn, he is too dull and establishment for the current mood of the electorate and like May was a Remainer and as Chancellor is wedded to austerity, if a little less than Osborne, Boris is charismatic and populist and the only viable option
    We have a circus already. We do not need to put a clown in charge.

If the Tory party thinks government is such a joke -- they will be simply thrashed by Corbyn. Even I would vote Labour in that scenario (I have never done so).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    Lol - The Tories are going to toxify themselves with leavers if they do that.
    And the DUP stuff will do it for the social liberals.
    And then there is May,

Trump's visit is soon isn't it ?

My my...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Corbyn did better than expected and I was wrong on Benn I admit, though I did say Corbyn would make gains in Scotland which you dismissed and he did
  • Options

DanSmith said:

total idiocy

youre just a bad as the IDS mob, you cant acually run a party without playing vendetta, it's one of the reasons the Tories are becoming nceasingly unelectable theyre more interested in their own squabbles than running country
    This is all about trying to run the country, the more stupid Leavers are wanting to give King Charles more power.

80% of my day job is now spent working out what Brexit actually means.

So no lectures from any of you Leavers.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    She means get a cross party committee to look at a different approach, not stop it altogether.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Hi Morris dancer. I have to say that Osborne didn't so much bugger off to indulge his vendetta. But rather that May and her Clique of two spads told him to bugger off to the backbenches without so much as the dignity of being able to resign, and so they could avoid even thanking him for his contribution to their moving into No10 instead of the Leader of the Oppositions offices instead. They then proceeded to try and undo all the good ground work that had been laid over the years to make us electable right across the UK.

Did May not tell Osborne to go and learn about the Party?

Shame she didn't learn anything about the voters...
  • Options

Funny that Tory corporation tax cuts aren't "bribes" to businesses.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

DanSmith said:

total idiocy

This is all about trying to run the country, the more stupid Leavers are wanting to give King Charles more power.

Did you not get the memo? It means Brexit. :smiley:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

lol. This reminds me of Tony Blair talking to the PLP: "Do you think I get up every morning and try to think of new ways to piss off Labour voters?" [mutters of "Yes!"]
    But delivered two landslides in 97 and 01 and a substantial majority in 05. Shame he decided to hold hands with George Bush. There was a lesson there for Theresa May.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

She might find that those 13 MPs have a mind of their own.

I would hope that Ruth Davidson doesn't follow the May pattern of hubris followed by nemesis.

Still one thing we can be sure of - WFA isn't going to be taken away in England and kept in Scotland now.

They owe their seats to Ruth (and Nicola :smile: ), not Tezza
    Ruth has never had to take any responsibility for government before.

That's a lot harder than merely opposing a government.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Why so much angst in Scotland? They've got 12 MPs in the government....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    Which 17m voters?

If you mean leavers there are 4 in my house

And on a 100% sample

100% want soft BREXIT 0% want hard Brexit

After advice from ICM I have applied an age filter and now KABOOOOOM we have a 12% majority for oblivion.
  • Options
    Ruth has correctly worked out that weak and wobbly can be pushed around at will. Arlene will be doing the same.
    May's position is looking utterly untenable, in fact the complete Tory party will do soon if they don't do *something*.

Quite what I'm not sure though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    atia2 said:

Think of it as an incentive. Probably needed now more than ever.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Quite so.

We actually need a thread about what happened in NI in this election, ideally from one of our locals. It has been overlooked and it is deeply troubling. In a situation where the Assembly is already suspended the centre ground, UUP, Alliance and SDLP have been wiped out with the extremes taking control. It does not auger well.
    It's simply polarising between the two strongest options under FPTP, which is completely rational, so they got 17 seats (almost 18). The UUP aren't that different to the DUP - bar the previous disastrous leadership of Mr Nesbitt - though SF definitely represents a more intransigent politics than the SDLP. To grossly simplify, Brexit and the behaviour of the DUP inflamed Catholics to vote Sinn Féin for taking a tougher line. And the taking of that tougher line inflamed Protestants to vote DUP.
  • Options
    Incredible number of marginals. Have to get down to number 80 to hit a 5% majority. The Tories should be very worried.

I said on the previous thread that having let Corbyn get his foot in the door he will charge through it next time. I also think Labour will become the biggest party again in Scotland.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    And then there is May,

My my...
    I admit if we are not careful we could soon be arranging the visit of President Sanders to meet PM Corbyn
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    atia2 said:

The Tories didn't realise that Brexit was basically an anti-incumbency vote. Going to the country again was madness. They misread the reasons for the first result and I'm confident they will misread the reasons for the second. It will be wonderful to watch their fall.

You are aware that after Labour's best campaign ever, and the Tories' worst, the far left nutters are still 64 seats away from a majority?
  • Options
    @STVColin: 5 minutes to go anyone seen an exit poll predicting a big win for Scotland? I wasn't convinced by the last exit poll but it turned out right
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    And then there is May,

My my...
    Jezza will be campaigning on Brexit and the Tories on remaining at this rate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ruth has correctly worked out that weak and wobbly can be pushed around at will. Arlene will be doing the same.
    May's position is looking utterly untenable, in fact the complete Tory party will do soon if they don't do *something*.

Quite what I'm not sure though.

Panic?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017
    Off Topic:

Has anyone played this Gwent Beta yet? If so any good? I surprisingly found it very addictive in Witcher 3, wondering how well it works in a standalone game?
  • Options

Can they get the Henry VIII bill though Parliament now?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

jonny83 said:

We have a circus already. We do not need to put a clown in charge.

If the Tory party thinks government is such a joke -- they will be simply thrashed by Corbyn. Even I would vote Labour in that scenario (I have never done so).
    Corbyn ran on a populist 'all must have prizes' manifesto so the Tories must run a populist 'all must have prizes candidate' of their own and as you are hardly a regular Tory voter losing your support makes little difference if it gains votes from elsewhere
  • Options
    RobD said:

atia2 said:

...........If you want to lose the next election
  • Options
    atia2 said:

They are.

As are public sector pay increases without productivity improvements.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

total idiocy

yeah Ill lecture see above
  • Options

RobD said:

atia2 said:

...........If you want to lose the next election
    Was thinking more in terms of the exchequer during/after brexit.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    edited June 2017

Incredible number of marginals. Have to get down to number 80 to hit a 5% majority. The Tories should be very worried.

I said on the previous thread that having let Corbyn get his foot in the door he will charge through it next time. I also think Labour will become the biggest party again in Scotland.

Yep - Scotland could be very good for Labour next time. It's a bit below the radar because of the Tory surge there, but it's looking very promising, especially in the Central Belt.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Can they get the Henry VIII bill though Parliament now?
    Nope, would the opposition parties would really give Ministers unlimited powers to rewrite laws?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

atia2 said:

You are aware that after Labour's best campaign ever, and the Tories' worst, the far left nutters are still 64 seats away from a majority?
    Largest increase popular vote since 1945, achieved from a standing start against a hostile press and a hostile parliamentary party. Just wait until Labour gets its shit together. The Tories are toast.

I'm looking forward to Corbyn's first appearance in Parliament. The jokes are over. He is now the most authoritative person on the green benches.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    She means get a cross party committee to look at a different approach, not stop it altogether.
    We'll see... I said yesterday Brexit will be cancelled as a result of this mess and I still stand by that.

We'll more than likely finish up more "integrated" than we was before the referendum.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

I agree that would have been the right move. Unfortunately it would have required a Tory to put their country ahead of their party. Never gonna happen.
    You are the one playing party politics with that comment and a shocking ignorance of history..
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Boris
    Davis
    Fallon
    Hammond
    Rudd

Rudd's parliamentary majority is far too small to even countenance her being PM.
    If the Conservatives won the next election PM Rudd would be re-elected, if they didn't it wouldn't matter.

Anyway she can move to a safe seat if she had to.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

HYUFD said:

One whole woman? Wow!
    Well show me 1 person who did not vote for May and would vote for Rudd, Fallon or Hammond in a swing seat?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

atia2 said:

They are.

May has a truly delightful way of telling the public sector their place - "crying wolf" to the police, "no magic money tree" cliche bingo to a nurse.

There might not be any money for public sector pay rises, but no need to phrase it so callously - May was addressing a voter, not giving a speech during that QT. I think she forgot that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    fitalass said:

If you think that Ruth Davidson ran a good campaign for the Scottish Conservatives up here, just imagine what she could have done with a GE manifesto without the hidden toxic little gems planted by May's team without any consultation with the rest of the Cabinet. ;)
    One of the great things about politics is that you don't need to wait long to get your revenge and even if you do do you kow you'll get it sometime
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    She's got 13 whole MPs. She is dominant. The world at her feet.
  • Options

yeah Ill lecture see above

You're not going to love my morning thread.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,907

DanSmith said:

total idiocy

You are strongly motivated by spite towards your enemies in the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

atia2 said:

They are.

May has a truly delightful way of telling the public sector their place - "crying wolf" to the police, "no magic money tree" cliche bingo to a nurse.

There might not be any money for public sector pay rises, but no need to phrase it so callously - May was addressing a voter, not giving a speech during that QT. I think she forgot that.
    May's speech to the Police Federation came back to haunt her!
  • Options
    atia2 said:

He is now the most authoritative person on the green benches.

No he isn't. he started as leader of the Opposition who couldn't inspire confidence in his own MPs

He's now the Leader who lost to the worst campaign in history.
  • Options
    atia2 said:

blueblue said:

atia2 said:

Largest increase popular vote since 1945, achieved from a standing start against a hostile press and a hostile parliamentary party. Just wait until Labour gets its shit together. The Tories are toast.

I'm looking forward to Corbyn's first appearance in Parliament. The jokes are over. He is now the most authoritative person on the green benches.
    And will be judged as a potential PM not as a clown.

Corbyn does need to get his shit together because people will take him seriously now.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327
    Pulpstar said:

It's extraordinary to see from that just how close Labour were to being largest Party.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

She can collapse the Government.

She certainly has more power and authority than Tezza right now
  • Options
    Without wanting to go all DavidL

England are on course to knock Australia out of the Champions Trophy.

How awesome is that?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    blueblue said:

atia2 said:

and very close to a majority. Scotland is an inch away from being dominated by Labour again, go look at some of the SNP central belt majorities, likewise I think someone posted here earlier about a list of 63 seats labour would gain on the smallest of swings. And if Boris was elected leader Labour would be nailed on to win in 2022.

Anna Soubry should of lost on Thurday considering the other seats that were lost, tories would do well to reflect on the campaign she ran in her constituency. I am saying this as LEAVER who leans Tory. The going after the UKIP vote strategy has beeen a complete disaster and cost Tories safe seats like Kensington.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    run the contry ?

my arse

heres what could have been done in 7 years of Tories in governemnt

did we build a million homes - no
    did we get a high speed broadband network - no
    did we get a basic motorway network - no
    have our modernists reformed the house of Lords - no
    have we got a high skill high wage economy - no
    have wages risen - no
    have we built the infrastructure to accommodate anther 4 million people - no

back in 2010 when you were rightly attacking Brown for doing bugger all little did you imagine your own mob would be just as bad And they are as bad since that list still all has to be done

and as for the voters well its clear you just dont understand them.

• Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: Swiss media reports former 'Top Gear' presenter Richard Hammond has been airlifted to hospital following a car crash in St Gallen

I hope he is OK.

Even if he is fine, I suspect TGT is over for good
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    The committee approach is definitely the way to go I reckon. I would expect it to send at least some UKIP voters away but with UKIP having torn itself apart at this point would they have the ability to really recover most of those votes? Labour would struggle to really sell itself as the harder Brexit party without alienating the voters they've just won over and the Lib Dems would never attack them on that front.

The soft EEA / EFTA approach has to surely be the goal here? The economy won't collapse, we may be able to do something about fish (important for the new SCons), and even the immigration line could be sold to the harder leave voters as I believe that EFTA ensures free movement of Labour but not people. I have certainly heard enough lines to the effect of 'I don't mind them coming here and contributing but the benefit scroungers...' etc.

In a country so hopelessly divided surely an approach like this is the only workable one that doesn't alienate large segments of society. Above all else the Tories need to keep the economy afloat as the worst circumstance is a Brexit that crashes the economy leading to tidal wave of support for Labour where Corbyn can place any blame for the inevitable economic problems on the Tories incompetence.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    atia2 said:

MaxPB said:

Sad but true. A huge +1 for MaxPB's post.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    Don't forget all her actual achievements in government amounting to ...
  • Options

Yep - Scotland could be very good for Labour next time. It's a bit below the radar because of the Tory surge there, but it's looking very promising, especially in the Central Belt.

May's gamble has given Labour a path to a majority. Not saying it will happen but they have been given a map with a bloody great 'X marks the spot' on it.
  • Options
    JackW said:

But delivered two landslides in 97 and 01 and a substantial majority in 05. Shame he decided to hold hands with George Bush. There was a lesson there for Theresa May.

A very astute post Jack. In the heat of the moment people have forgotten her 11 months in office.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

@chrisdeerin: Suspect Ruth D's bullishness on Brexit due to wanting to show Scot voters she can make a difference where Sturgeon failed. It's about 2021

That's the biggest "Well Duh" statement. Everything for Ruth rests on being strong and independent from the UK Tory government.

Pull it off and I genuinely would re-evaluate my RDWNBFM stance.
  • Options
    What are the odds on Brexit not happening?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It's extraordinary to see from that just how close Labour were to being largest Party.
    I think if Labour had actually known what was happening they could have picked up another dozen seats.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,395
    Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

True to say we have political experts on here.Did anyone bet on a hung parliament ?
    Yes. Me. And I told people on here.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

How nice.
    The committee approach is definitely the way to go I reckon. I would expect it to send at least some UKIP voters away but with UKIP having torn itself apart at this point would they have the ability to really recover most of those votes? Labour would struggle to really sell itself as the harder Brexit party without alienating the voters they've just won over and the Lib Dems would never attack them on that front.

The soft EEA / EFTA approach has to surely be the goal here? The economy won't collapse, we may be able to do something about fish (important for the new SCons), and even the immigration line could be sold to the harder leave voters as I believe that EFTA ensures free movement of Labour but not people. I have certainly heard enough lines to the effect of 'I don't mind them coming here and contributing but the benefit scroungers...' etc.

In a country so hopelessly divided surely an approach like this is the only workable one that doesn't alienate large segments of society. Above all else the Tories need to keep the economy afloat as the worst circumstance is a Brexit that crashes the economy leading to tidal wave of support for Labour where Corbyn can place any blame for the inevitable economic problems on the Tories incompetence.
    Soft Brexit would be my preferred option now and Boris may be able to fudge it but the EU would demand a high price and Farage would return as leader of UKIP to lead the opposition to it