Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I think there can be no question about the PB 'post of the year': David Herdson's post on Wednesday evening.

It was a shocking wake up moment for a lot of us.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,644
    edited June 2017
    Anorak said:

Holy shit. I've just seen Zac's result. Squeakier than a barrel full of mice.

Have you not seen the Fife result?

SNP win by 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/S14000049

Or Perth and North Pertshire

SNP win by 21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/S14000054
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    rkrkrk said:

Immigration - the dog that didn't bark?

People have given up thinking the politicians will do anything about it after the tories promised to reduce it at three elections now and it actually went up during their time in office. Which is very limited now I would guess.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    rkrkrk said:

Mr. rkrkrk, Hammond's stock fell a lot after his stand-up routine at the Budget. He might get it, and I'd prefer him to Boris, but not enthusiastic.

Osborne really is a muppet. He'd be PM by lunchtime if he hadn't decided he wanted six jobs rather than five (I wonder if he regrets his vendetta agenda as a cause of the dire result, or feels vindicated by May's meltdown).

The budget is old news now I hope? And perhaps can be blamed on TM?

Osborne looked vindicated on TV. He was also I have to say very good at explaining results and pulling out key pieces of information. Put quite a few journalists to shame and didn't pull his ounches about the impact of the result.
    Osborne looked incredibly glum when the seats were all falling to Labour and we were wobbling badly and underperforming the exit poll. He still wants the party to succeed. He needs to come back.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Could Paul Nuttall hurry up and resign after his lamentable performance? Some of us have bets riding on him doing so and I don't want it spoiled by the Prime Minister succumbing to a bout of integrity.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Alistair said:

Have we talked about EVEL yet? Tories will have nothing close to a majority for English legislation. 12 Tory MPs and the 10 DUP are locked out.

They have an easy majority.

47 other Scottish MPs can't vote
    8 other NI MPs can't vote
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913

If the DUP won't countenance special status for Northern Ireland in the EU, and they won't countenance a hard border with Ireland, then the cost of a deal will have to be that we forget any idea of leaving the single market and customs union.

You could still win your bet with Sean if I've understood it correctly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,435
    Slept for a couple of hours and it is still a disaster for the UK albeit a good result for Scotland. May's total vote and share of the vote is actually quite impressive, it's Labour's surge and collection of the opposing votes that has undone her.
    I don't see how she survives in anything other than a caretaker role and surely only months even then.
  • Options

I've just heard John McDonnell on the BBC, basically saying Labour can form a minority government without making any formal deals with other parties, an option he firmly ruled out.

He said they'd write a Queen's speech enacting the Labour manifesto, which he thought would get majority support in the Commons. He asked who'd dare vote against abolishing tuition fees.

If Labour do try that approach, it will be a fiasco, and another election will look likely. The question then will be who voters blame for the mess.

Who will the voters blame for the mess?

I think the voters have a pretty good idea who to blame for the current mess, Robert, don't you? And if you don't you'll get a pretty good idea who when they go to the polls again, which may in fact be fairly soon.
    Ask them today, and the voters would probably blame the Tories, but in aix months?

If we have six months of Labour politicians talking about their grand ideas on TV, and complaining that none of the other parties will vote for them while showing absolutely no willingness to compromise the public mood might well change.
    You are playing Party Politics. The situation is serious. Six months? We've got to get through the next six days first and nobody has a clue where we go from here, least of all the hapless bunch that got us into this f*cking mess.

Let's see who stands up tall, and talks some sense, and we'll leave the speculation about 'the public mood' until the dust has settled a bit.
    Agreed
    I was slightly surprised that the "voice of reason" this morning on Today was IDS.
    He more or less said what you did-although i dont recall the F***ing mess bit !!

Although privately he is probably screaming the place down
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Alistair said:

So, do the DUP have loyalist paramilitary links?

Apperently the voters don't care about that stuff.
  • Options
    Don't panic Larry the cat is in charge
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Nigel Evans criticising TMay. Do not find yourself alone with the DUP in the Elizabeth Tower, Nige.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,373
    Floater said:

I think there can be no question about the PB 'post of the year': David Herdson's post on Wednesday evening.

He should be awarded both Poster and Tipster Of The Year on the spot.

I've known David through these pages for many years, and met him, and when he was downbeat, I took it more seriously than any of Survation's polls. Saved me a few quid, I can tell you.

Hope the lad is OK. He's got a lot on.

He's a diamond.
  • Options

Could Paul Nuttall hurry up and resign after his lamentable performance? Some of us have bets riding on him doing so and I don't want it spoiled by the Prime Minister succumbing to a bout of integrity.

Amen brother!

Especially if Farage becomes leader again.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

SNP win by 2

SNP win by 21

Zac is next door, so more curious about that one. Very surprised he made it, given the shellacking handed out to the Tories in Twickers and Bentford.
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963

Agreed.
    Absolutely - and it had the essential quality of being widely derided at the time.
  • Options

Floater said:

He should be awarded both Poster and Tipster Of The Year on the spot.

I've known David through these pages for many years, and met him, and when he was downbeat, I took it more seriously than any of Survation's polls. Saved me a few quid, I can tell you.

Hope the lad is OK. He's got a lot on.

He's a diamond.
    Absolutely, I'm hopeful he'll do a thread tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Anorak said:

And can I congratulate you on your long-standing and perspicacious assessment of May's qualities (or lack thereof).
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    I voted Tory through gritted teeth yesterday but only to support Ruth Davidson and not in anyway to support May. May's hope of a hard Brexit is dead. The Scottish Tories were not elected on a mandate for a hard Brexit and Ruth has clearly stated she does not support one.

My son who is at Edinburgh Uni went back to Edinburgh to vote Labour for the first time in his life and despite thinking their whole manifesto was rubbish. In addition almost all his friends did the same. This was about the youth vote showing it wanted to be noticed.

It is not too far to go that almost single handed Ruth Davidson has saved the union. She had the temerity to stand up to the SNP and her success has finally woken up Labour in Scotland.

So an ultra soft Brexit and no independence appears the route forward. The only question is who will lead the country. I am thinking Hammond. He has been very quiet.

• Options

Indeed but in a way not.

The Conservatives got their best ever vote in Wakefield with an 11% increase.

DH and his team did their stuff.

And they did even better in adjacent Morley constituency.

The Conservative failing was in other places.
    The post said that he thought Wakefield would still be won, but for local reasons.
  • Options
    I have to say the more I think about it the more I feel this is an almost ideal result for me. I think exactly 326 seats would have been ideal as it would have meant Theresa still being knifed but there would be literally no danger of Corbyn coming in or having to ask for S&C from any other party.
  • Options
    Con Hold Cornwall North.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    I see "Enough is Enough" really cut through.
  • Options

Amen brother!

Especially if Farage becomes leader again.
    Leader of what? Does UKIP still exist after last night?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Never been so worried after reading a single post.

Perhaps Tories need to send people undercover is strong labour wards to find the strength of the opposition vote. You can hit your own target voters but it's no use if every single potential labour voter turns out.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913

Roger said:

Just been listening to George O. Must be in line for the best Tory leader they never had

Ken Clarke says otherwise.
    Does he blame him for this mess? If so unfair in my opinion. Cameron is the villain. History will judge him as the worst PM ever.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

And can I congratulate you on your long-standing and perspicacious assessment of May's qualities (or lack thereof).
    I hoped she would prove me wrong.

She's shafted so many good Tories.
  • Options
    Assuming Lab gain Kensington, it's:

Con + DUP 328

Opposition 315

Total 643 (exc SF)

Majority 13
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    edited June 2017
    dixiedean said:

Perhaps it did, but not quite in the way intended.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Just been listening to George O. Must be in line for the best Tory leader they never had

Does he blame him for this mess? If so unfair in my opinion. Cameron is the villain. History will judge him as the worst PM ever.
    Nah, the people spoke.

Brexit would have been even messier if we had no referendum and say in 2020 Dave's replacement put in the Tory manifesto to pull us out of the EU and they won a majority on 35% of the vote
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Roger said:

Roger said:

No, I meant Ken Clarke was the best Tory leader they never had.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

FF43 said:

Apparently Davies pushed hardest for an election and isn't popular with his cabinet colleagues. Big takeaway from this result is that the Conservative tack to UKIP has failed tactically. I am as surprised as anyone by that. Too many Kippers went Labour. UKIP are dead as a party, so there's no point pandering to them anymore. The centre ground is where the Tories need to be.

Roll on Brexit for the 60%. It's where we should have been from the beginning, not trying to get hard Brexit through on the back of 20% of voters and Tory voters who had nowhere else to go.
    Your dry as dust libertarianism is dead.
    That's always been dead, I've never believed otherwise. I was on here (and telling irl Tories) saying that the government should have run on meeting the Labour Leave campaign pledges like £350m per week for the NHS.
    I still don't understand why they didn't.

That was a real open goal.
    I was calling for the same. I think I may have been one of the infamous "bedwetters" for doing so...
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Re the Exit Poll.

They got quite a few things wrong - but their errors cancelled out.

If all their errors had been the same way we would now either have a Con Maj or PM Corbyn.

Hardly surprising there were errors given the number of seats decide by less than 1000 votes. But on average the poll was spot on
    Didn't it expect the Conservatives to make gain in North Wales ?
    Like I said, on average the poll was spot on. Seats is overpredicted the Cons
    MikeL said:

Con + DUP 328

Opposition 315

Total 643 (exc SF)

Majority 13

You need to exclude the Speaker
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Hey, I believe I started hating on her first. It was the ill thought out grammar schools plan/announcement. That was the day I decided she was crap, selective education can be a good thing, but it needs to be selective at all levels, not just one. That was when the veil lifted for me.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rkrkrk said:

Mr. rkrkrk, Hammond's stock fell a lot after his stand-up routine at the Budget. He might get it, and I'd prefer him to Boris, but not enthusiastic.

Osborne really is a muppet. He'd be PM by lunchtime if he hadn't decided he wanted six jobs rather than five (I wonder if he regrets his vendetta agenda as a cause of the dire result, or feels vindicated by May's meltdown).

The budget is old news now I hope? And perhaps can be blamed on TM?

Osborne looked vindicated on TV. He was also I have to say very good at explaining results and pulling out key pieces of information. Put quite a few journalists to shame and didn't pull his ounches about the impact of the result.
    Osborne looked incredibly glum when the seats were all falling to Labour and we were wobbling badly and underperforming the exit poll. He still wants the party to succeed. He needs to come back.
    God yes. May made a host of mistakes but that is right up there.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

dixiedean said:

I don't wish to pick at a sore point, but does this mean Indyref2 is off the table until at least the mid 2020s?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Agreed.
    Absolutely - and it had the essential quality of being widely derided at the time.
    I dont think it was derided-there was a question as to whether it was genuine as it was so out of character but i think most people listened to what he said-some bet accordingly -most were more concerned for him as an individual as he was obviously very tired as he later said himself.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nah, the people spoke.

Brexit would have been even messier if we had no referendum and say in 2020 Dave's replacement put in the Tory manifesto to pull us out of the EU and they won a majority on 35% of the vote
    There really was no need for him to resign though, it made an uncertain situation more chaotic than need be.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Clocking in bloodied and humiliated after three hours in the Hersham stocks being lashed 100 times at one end by monks from the Order of the Psephologians and on the other pelted with the yolks of 319 rotten eggs.

But if my reputation as a sage is er, well and truly f**ked, that's nothing compared to Mrs M and the zombie administration she will soon be leading. Of course, she should go...but to be replaced by whom and when?? Almost all the putative successors are not much less crap than she is. Please not David Davis, please no.

So we're condemned to 'governing' (sic) until it likely all falls apart sometime in the not too distant future. If there's a way out that ends well for the party from this self inflicted imbroglio I can't see it. At least not today.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I suppose the other takeaway is that the Cons should have a proper leadership contest next time - not a coronation - they don't seem to work.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I have to say the more I think about it the more I feel this is an almost ideal result for me. I think exactly 326 seats would have been ideal as it would have meant Theresa still being knifed but there would be literally no danger of Corbyn coming in or having to ask for S&C from any other party.
    I'm looking at the same silver lining. It's a very thin one, though.
  • Options

Re the Exit Poll.

They got quite a few things wrong - but their errors cancelled out.

If all their errors had been the same way we would now either have a Con Maj or PM Corbyn.

Hardly surprising there were errors given the number of seats decide by less than 1000 votes. But on average the poll was spot on
    Didn't it expect the Conservatives to make gain in North Wales ?
    Like I said, on average the poll was spot on. Seats is overpredicted the Cons
    MikeL said:

Con + DUP 328

Opposition 315

Total 643 (exc SF)

Majority 13

You need to exclude the Speaker
    No. Lab supplies two deputy speakers, Con supply one. None of the four vote.

Which is why BBC count Speaker as Con.
  • Options

She's resigning today.

I suppose it is just possible Nuttall beats her to it but otherwise go directly to Betfair, now.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,399
    Floater said:

I had a nightmare last night, woke up this morning to find it was real.

At least Corbyn shouldn't get the keys to number 10 but still.........

Not yet
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    DUP willing to keep May in Office - not a surprise after Forster's earlier remarks.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Wonder how many people voted Labour thinking it was "safe" to do so, given that they were apparently so far behind in the polls there was no way they would ever come anywhere near actually winning?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Clocking in bloodied and humiliated after three hours in the Hersham stocks being lashed 100 times at one end by monks from the Order of the Psephologians and on the other pelted with the yolks of 319 rotten eggs.

But if my reputation as a sage is er, well and truly f**ked, that's nothing compared to Mrs M and the zombie administration she will soon be leading. Of course, she should go...but to be replaced by whom and when?? Almost all the putative successors are not much less crap than she is. Please not David Davis, please no.

So we're condemned to 'governing' (sic) until it likely all falls apart sometime in the not too distant future. If there's a way out that ends well for the party from this self inflicted imbroglio I can't see it. At least not today.

Totally agree, the more and more I think about it, this feels like a worse result than 1997.

To be only ahead of Corbyn by 1.4% means an epic failure on so many levels.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I don't wish to pick at a sore point, but does this mean Indyref2 is off the table until at least the mid 2020s?
    Should Nicola resign ?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    We can't go for hard brexit now, just get EEA/EFTA take the hit and make the best of it.

The tories need to hold on until someone at least liveable with is in charge of the labour party.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Anorak said:

SNP win by 2

SNP win by 21

Stonking majorities. Support firming up.

Fife NE was not won by a whisker, it was won by a panda.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Hey, I believe I started hating on her first. It was the ill thought out grammar schools plan/announcement. That was the day I decided she was crap, selective education can be a good thing, but it needs to be selective at all levels, not just one. That was when the veil lifted for me.
    Ok, you can have a cookie too. London house prices look set to fall, that must cheer you up a bit...
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

She's resigning today.

I suppose it is just possible Nuttall beats her to it but otherwise go directly to Betfair, now.
    Not according to the BBC just now, she isn't. She thinks she can hang on.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    LucyJones said:

Wonder how many people voted Labour thinking it was "safe" to do so, given that they were apparently so far behind in the polls there was no way they would ever come anywhere near actually winning?

Not sure, but it proves that you should never ever assume that an election is in the bag for anyone as you go to vote !
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Alistair said:

Have we talked about EVEL yet? Tories will have nothing close to a majority for English legislation. 12 Tory MPs and the 10 DUP are locked out.

Er, the Tories have 297 of 533 English seats.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Commisserations John. You deserved better even if the Government didn't.

Would Ken Clarke do as an interim replacement until the Party sorts itself out a bit? It really can't afford another f*ck up and he is totally dependable and trusted.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Totally agree, the more and more I think about it, this feels like a worse result than 1997.

2.4% (UK)
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Glad I dont bet on politics, last night was traumatic enough without that
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Agree. Many voted Tory in 2015 for similar reasons.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Yes, at least with Blair he was essentially running a fairly Tory spending plan, this feels like "one more mistake and we're handing over the keys of No 10 to a lunatic". There is literally no room for error and we don't have the respite of opposition to regroup and find the kind of talent needed for the next few years.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335

dixiedean said:

If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it's that one should avoid saying an issue is settled or finished or decided.

• Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    LucyJones said:

Perhaps the same number who voted for Brexit thinking it wouldn't win?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Of course same might be true of the coalition of chaos
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Agree with that.
    Thankfully May's deficiencies were exposed now before she could do long term damage in the Brexit divorce proceedings.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nah, the people spoke.

There really was no need for him to resign though, it made an uncertain situation more chaotic than need be.
    Cameron told us he would not resign if we voted to Leave. We voted to Leave. He resigned.

Cameron bears a significant amount of responsibility for last night. If he hadn't resigned, we would not have had May and then she wouldn't have felt the need to go to the country to get her own mandate from the voters. (Although, I concede that he would have been in a very difficult situation fronting Brexit. So he should have said he would resign if he lost - would probably have been enough to win it for Remain.)
  • Options
    Well blimey.

The other day I wondered on here whether we could be sure that Corbyn in power would ever voluntarily relinquish it. I cited his approval of Maoist regimes and his disregard of things like no confidence votes in support.

The responses were along the lines that existing constitutional constraints would prevent any such thing; oddly nobody suggested that Corbyn himself would never contemplate any such thing.

Here we are this morning and we have Corbyn 55 seats begin declaring victory.

I wasn't wrong about him.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    BBC just said young vote turnout is 72%???
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Andy JS....thanks for your spreadsheet...Swindon North convinced me it was safe to pile on NOM.....
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?
    Nah, they won the majority of seats.

Unless Theresa, this was not an election she called.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

I voted Tory through gritted teeth yesterday but only to support Ruth Davidson and not in anyway to support May. May's hope of a hard Brexit is dead. The Scottish Tories were not elected on a mandate for a hard Brexit and Ruth has clearly stated she does not support one.

My son who is at Edinburgh Uni went back to Edinburgh to vote Labour for the first time in his life and despite thinking their whole manifesto was rubbish. In addition almost all his friends did the same. This was about the youth vote showing it wanted to be noticed.

It is not too far to go that almost single handed Ruth Davidson has saved the union. She had the temerity to stand up to the SNP and her success has finally woken up Labour in Scotland.

So an ultra soft Brexit and no independence appears the route forward. The only question is who will lead the country. I am thinking Hammond. He has been very quiet.

This talk of hard and soft Brexit is nonsense. If we leave the EU we leave the Single Market (inc free movement).
  • Options

dixiedean said:

If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it's that one should avoid saying an issue is settled or finished or decided.

Obviously the result in Scotland means the people want another referendum - oh
  • Options
    Youth turnout 72%. Seems they could register AND get out of bed. Who'd have thunk it?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    LucyJones said:

She's resigning today.

Theresa May will not fight the next election. The Prime Minister can resign soon, or be forced out later. Those are her only choices.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    May will get all the blame and carry the can, but the hubris of the Tory back office operation is worth reflecting on too. Both Messina and Crosby have had their reputations destroyed by this result. It was them sending May to those constituencies and putting her in warehouses and security-swept factories.
  • Options

Glad I dont bet on politics, last night was traumatic enough without that

I was actually feeling physically sick at 10 05 last night

But hey, life goes on

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    To what extend did differential age turnout, compared to predictions, screw up the Tory seat targeting? Or was that screwed up by other factors? Certainly it seems the Tory effort was directed to seats in a sub-optimal way...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Yes, at least with Blair he was essentially running a fairly Tory spending plan, this feels like "one more mistake and we're handing over the keys of No 10 to a lunatic". There is literally no room for error and we don't have the respite of opposition to regroup and find the kind of talent needed for the next few years.

For me it was as exciting as 1997....after all the disappointments of recent years.

Well done to Nick Palmer and BigNight for sticking with Corbyn through thick and thin
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Well blimey.

The other day I wondered on here whether we could be sure that Corbyn in power would ever voluntarily relinquish it. I cited his approval of Maoist regimes and his disregard of things like no confidence votes in support.

The responses were along the lines that existing constitutional constraints would prevent any such thing; oddly nobody suggested that Corbyn himself would never contemplate any such thing.

Indeed. He would still be a rubbish PM. The problem is, the current PM does not exactly sparkle.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

She's resigning today.

Well she should. The difficult bit is working out how to manage the transition or whether the Conservatives go straight to a unity candidate (they don't seem in the mood for that).
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Alistair said:

Er, the Tories have 297 of 533 English seats.
    I haven't slept.
  • Options
    Theresa May to visit the palace at 12.30pm to seek permission to form a government.
  • Options
    May seeking permission from Queen to form government - lets lock out Jezza
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    edited June 2017
    The strangest election since the 1920's. May's strategy almost paid off. The Tories did gain strongly in many working class areas, but mostly not by enough. And, they alienated middle class Remainers.

The government, even though weak, may last a long time, as only a Conservative government is viable on these numbers.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I am looking forward to hearing some stories from tissue price. Such a shame he couldn't pull it off this time, though maybe he will have to stay quiet in case he has another try soon.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Surely she has to resign today, her authority, in Parlt, in the country and vs the EU, is not just diminished, in my view it is irredemiably broken. She must announce she she is standing down
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

LucyJones said:

She's resigning today.

Theresa May will not fight the next election. The Prime Minister can resign soon, or be forced out later. Those are her only choices.
    This. She'll go when another leading Tory decides they want to take over.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?

Also her main (only) rival , Eck , is without a seat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The strangest election since the 1920's.

Still laughing at people who were complaining that this election would be boring.

We trully live in interesting times and as a nation we are going to catch hell come the next recession
  • Options

Well blimey.

Oh yes you were. You under-estimated him. Now May is in coalition with terrorist apologists and young Earth creationists.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Nigelb said:

Agreed.
    I dont think it was derided-there was a question as to whether it was genuine as it was so out of character but i think most people listened to what he said-some bet accordingly -most were more concerned for him as an individual as he was obviously very tired as he later said himself.
    I'd have to check, but my memory is that it was, while not universally by any means, widely rejected as a prediction, despite the clear respect and affection he's held in.
    A lot of comments about how a 'bad street' can happen to anyone while canvassing.
  • Options
    Hills have yet to settle on 10/1 against Over 65% Turnout, No Overall Majority. One result left.
  • Options

isam said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nah, the people spoke.

Cameron told us he would not resign if we voted to Leave. We voted to Leave. He resigned.
    He lied to the House, repeatedly.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Very true.

Whilst I expecting the SCon surge, and a good performance from the Lib Dems, was not expecting the SLAB surge.
  • Options

She's resigning today.

Well she should. The difficult bit is working out how to manage the transition or whether the Conservatives go straight to a unity candidate (they don't seem in the mood for that).
    The Conservatives should stop worrying about their own mood and start thinking about the mood of the country. This could get ugly.

A little contrition wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnO said:

I'm spending some time in my own dungeons with Mrs JackW in charge of the my wallet. Cruel and unusual punishment I tell you .... but deserved .... :cry:
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Theresa May to visit the palace at 12.30pm to seek permission to form a government.

She kind of has to do that I guess. But it's a real mess.

Keeping corbyn out of No10 has to be the priority, Even if it means allowing labour to win in the future with a more reasonable leader.
  • Options
    BBC -- Dimbleby, Neil and Laura K all seem very tired and are making verbal slips. The BBC needs to think about more reasonable shifts next time.
  • Options

She's resigning today.

Hard to see who that Unity candidate would be though.

Rory, your time is now!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?

Also her main (only) rival , Eck , is without a seat.
    Who is likely to be SNP leader at Westminster?

Pete Wishart?
This discussion has been closed.