Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the new politics where the young ones actually turn

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982
    nunu said:

Boothman said:

Those suggesting Labour won the youth vote by offering a bribe - it's worth noting that most of the young wouldn't have been better off as they are either in the middle of their courses or have finished. There is only a small fraction I believe who would've been liable to pay student loans who would've benefitted from Labour's plans.

Perhaps they voted for some other mad reason... like principle?

Incorrect. The labour plan was to back date the legislation so even those currently in Uni would have had their fees written off. In fact they promised to write off fees from some people who have already graduated. It was self interest, which is fair enough.

That does not explain why my 19 year old daughter who is not at university was so keen on Corbyn. The fact is that unlike the other leaders, he spoke to them and spoke hopefully.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

isam said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just been listening to George O. Must be in line for the best Tory leader they never had

Ken Clarke says otherwise.
    Does he blame him for this mess? If so unfair in my opinion. Cameron is the villain. History will judge him as the worst PM ever.
    Nah, the people spoke.

Brexit would have been even messier if we had no referendum and say in 2020 Dave's replacement put in the Tory manifesto to pull us out of the EU and they won a majority on 35% of the vote
    There really was no need for him to resign though, it made an uncertain situation more chaotic than need be.
    Cameron told us he would not resign if we voted to Leave. We voted to Leave. He resigned.

Cameron bears a significant amount of responsibility for last night. If he hadn't resigned, we would not have had May and then she wouldn't have felt the need to go to the country to get her own mandate from the voters. (Although, I concede that he would have been in a very difficult situation fronting Brexit. So he should have said he would resign if he lost - would probably have been enough to win it for Remain.)
    He shouldn't have called a referendum if he wasn't going to stay around to implement either result. Voting to leave the EU needed steady govt to see it through which we had. Very selfish of Cameron, how popular he would have been if he had accepted defeat and got on with his job
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but on a pretty similar share of the vote, Mrs May has secured more votes in total than Tony Blair did in his landslide victory in 1997.

That's 2 party politics for you I suppose.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So, maybe it turns out Obama in 2008 and 2012 wasn't big data micro targetting maths wizards woo and it was just he was a vastly better candidate than the opposition.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909

May will get all the blame and carry the can, but the hubris of the Tory back office operation is worth reflecting on too. Both Messina and Crosby have had their reputations destroyed by this result. It was them sending May to those constituencies and putting her in warehouses and security-swept factories.

Your reputation is of course intact.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,373
    Brom said:

I am looking forward to hearing some stories from tissue price. Such a shame he couldn't pull it off this time, though maybe he will have to stay quiet in case he has another try soon.

TP is a star of the future. The Tories should nurture him.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925
    Labour over 40% of vote... Why is it drifting?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,348
    Floater said:

dixiedean said:

I see "Enough is Enough" really cut through.

Perhaps it did, but not quite in the way intended.
    I don't wish to pick at a sore point, but does this mean Indyref2 is off the table until at least the mid 2020s?
    If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it's that one should avoid saying an issue is settled or finished or decided.

Obviously the result in Scotland means the people want another referendum - oh
    Not sure if someone who's whole PB output has been based on loudly stating that voters wouldn't touch RA loving, Hammas cuddling Jezza with a barge pole is in a position to be judging what voters in another country want, but hey ho.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645

Theresa May to visit the palace at 12.30pm to seek permission to form a government.

I don't see that she has a choice, otherwise Jez and his rabble get first crack. It's what she does afterwards that will be important. If she says, I will be a caretaker PM until the party has a full leadership election, no coronation etc... then it will be fine. If she intends to cling on then it won't.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,659

BBC -- Dimbleby, Neil and Laura K all seem very tired and are making verbal slips. The BBC needs to think about more reasonable shifts next time.

To be honest, like most of us, we thought the result would be clean and sorted by 4am.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    LucyJones said:

Could Paul Nuttall hurry up and resign after his lamentable performance? Some of us have bets riding on him doing so and I don't want it spoiled by the Prime Minister succumbing to a bout of integrity.

She's resigning today.

I suppose it is just possible Nuttall beats her to it but otherwise go directly to Betfair, now.
    Not according to the BBC just now, she isn't. She thinks she can hang on.

Mrs May is damaged goods, but she has to hang on. We have no time to mess about as Brexit negotiations start in less than two weeks and it is completely the wrong time to be switching leaders.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,549

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but on a pretty similar share of the vote, Mrs May has secured more votes in total than Tony Blair did in his landslide victory in 1997.

That's 2 party politics for you I suppose.

All that "look at the share not the lead" stuff wasn't so sensible after all.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

I don't wish to pick at a sore point, but does this mean Indyref2 is off the table until at least the mid 2020s?
    If the last couple of years have taught us anything, it's that one should avoid saying an issue is settled or finished or decided.

Not sure if someone who's whole PB output has been based on loudly stating that voters wouldn't touch RA loving, Hammas cuddling Jezza with a barge pole is in a position to be judging what voters in another country want, but hey ho.
    My whole output eh? oh yet more crap from you - hey ho
  • Options

nunu said:

Boothman said:

Those suggesting Labour won the youth vote by offering a bribe - it's worth noting that most of the young wouldn't have been better off as they are either in the middle of their courses or have finished. There is only a small fraction I believe who would've been liable to pay student loans who would've benefitted from Labour's plans.

Incorrect. The labour plan was to back date the legislation so even those currently in Uni would have had their fees written off. In fact they promised to write off fees from some people who have already graduated. It was self interest, which is fair enough.

That does not explain why my 19 year old daughter who is not at university was so keen on Corbyn. The fact is that unlike the other leaders, he spoke to them and spoke hopefully.

https://twitter.com/clarkemicah/status/873101307992723456
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?
    Nah, they won the majority of seats.

Unless Theresa, this was not an election she called.
    Also her main (only) rival , Eck , is without a seat.
    Who is likely to be SNP leader at Westminster?

Pete Wishart?
    Tommy Sheppard I'd say.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Good morning everybody,

after a dramatic night and not much sleep, I have no additional insight in to what might happen now.

But if for nothing but mu one ego can I remind people that at about 7 PM yesterday this was my prediction, well just about, I predicted Conservators at 335 + or - 20 and 318 is in that range.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

You ok hun?
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

This talk of hard and soft Brexit is nonsense. If we leave the EU we leave the Single Market (inc free movement).

Remainers are reinvigorated and excited this morning, It is not over. Meaningful Brexit now seriously in doubt
  • Options

nunu said:

Boothman said:

One of my sons voted for him - even though he doesn't like the anti semitism problems Labour has been having.

He thought he had the better vision
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?

Pete Wishart?
    Tommy Sheppard I'd say.
    Would get my vote. Wait, he did.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Good afternoon from Colombo!

The one result outstanding is the expected Labour gain in Kensington?

So close for Corbyn - 15 more seats for Labour and Corbyn would have been PM.
  • Options
    The Queen's Speech is in 10 days time.

Fun times ahead.

Also the first PMQs will be awkward for Mrs May
  • Options
    Floater said:

nunu said:

Boothman said:

One of my sons voted for him - even though he doesn't like the anti semitism problems Labour has been having.

He was the only one with any kind of bloody vision.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?

Pete Wishart?
    Tommy Sheppard I'd say.
    Would get my vote. Wait, he did.
    Ha, me too!
    (the last WM leadership election, that is).
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Floater said:

nunu said:

Boothman said:

thats the key. Thats also why he won the leadership. He had something to sell, and something to offer.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    So, the Irish Taliban control the destiny of UK foreign policy. Strong and stable, my arse.
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

dixiedean said:

You ok hun?
    yeah - as I said life goes on, but I might be slightly hung over :-)

I wanted the tories to beat Labour but not a tory so not as invested as some others
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

To what extend did differential age turnout, compared to predictions, screw up the Tory seat targeting? Or was that screwed up by other factors? Certainly it seems the Tory effort was directed to seats in a sub-optimal way...

The targeting was correct in some ways.

What was not anticipated was Remain Conservatives in prosperous seats switching to Labour.
  • Options
    The Tories should be thanking God they're up against Corbyn. Burnham might have won this outright.

In a way they've had a reprieve they don't deserve. They stand the best chance of governing - Corbyn can't even hold his own party together, never mind an alliance of three or four others - and they've had a painful lesson to make the election about policies. Labour got a free ride on a manifesto that was in places very irresponsible.

They need a new leader clearly. That has been clear for about 5 or 6 weeks now.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Lucky escape fro the country!!!

Some very outstanding results - your party did well
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916

Roger said:

Roger said:

Just been listening to George O. Must be in line for the best Tory leader they never had

Does he blame him for this mess? If so unfair in my opinion. Cameron is the villain. History will judge him as the worst PM ever.
    Nah, the people spoke.

Brexit would have been even messier if we had no referendum and say in 2020 Dave's replacement put in the Tory manifesto to pull us out of the EU and they won a majority on 35% of the vote
    Well done last night and well into the morning. Sterling effort.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?

Pete Wishart?
    Tommy Sheppard I'd say.
    Cheers, I did like John Nicolson, I always thought he was a long term contender.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,982

May will get all the blame and carry the can, but the hubris of the Tory back office operation is worth reflecting on too. Both Messina and Crosby have had their reputations destroyed by this result. It was them sending May to those constituencies and putting her in warehouses and security-swept factories.

Ha, ha. I was right about May from the very start. The rest is detail ;-)

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    BigRich said:

Good morning everybody,

after a dramatic night and not much sleep, I have no additional insight in to what might happen now.

But if for nothing but mu one ego can I remind people that at about 7 PM yesterday this was my prediction, well just about, I predicted Conservators at 335 + or - 20 and 318 is in that range.

Well done. Hope you profited from it. You were one of the few.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    edited June 2017
    This deal with the DUP is going to utterly toxify the Tories. The Tories will hold Mansfield in the next election mind ;)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    perdix said:

This talk of hard and soft Brexit is nonsense. If we leave the EU we leave the Single Market (inc free movement).

Why do you think that? We coulf be a member of the EFTA, in the single market but out of the EU, just as Norway is.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?
    She can't. When a SNP leader resigns they have to be replaced by Alex Salmond and he's not in a position to pick up the pieces just now
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,989
    May to see the Queen at 12:30. Has the support of the Ulstermen.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    May gone by .... ?

September ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Could Paul Nuttall hurry up and resign after his lamentable performance? Some of us have bets riding on him doing so and I don't want it spoiled by the Prime Minister succumbing to a bout of integrity.

She's resigning today.

I suppose it is just possible Nuttall beats her to it but otherwise go directly to Betfair, now.
    Well she should. The difficult bit is working out how to manage the transition or whether the Conservatives go straight to a unity candidate (they don't seem in the mood for that).
    The Conservatives should stop worrying about their own mood and start thinking about the mood of the country. This could get ugly.

A little contrition wouldn't go amiss.
    The Conservatives aren't in the least contrite. They think the only mistake was in the execution rather than the content. If they were chocolate, they'd eat themselves.

I thought the electorate gave some pretty clear signals yesterday. The Conservatives need to consider how they are going to address them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Ms. Forethought, disagree. Burnham's not a terrorist sympathising self-declared friend of Hamas and Hezbollah.

This strengthens the far left significantly. It's a very poor result.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    murali_s said:

Seven more.

Con + DUP has majority of 13.

And that means just seven rebels / by-election losses to lose that majority.

And one of those could come in Thanet South fairly soon.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Paddy A says Ulster men should not be in government
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

The Tories should be thanking God they're up against Corbyn. Burnham might have won this outright.

In a way they've had a reprieve they don't deserve. They stand the best chance of governing - Corbyn can't even hold his own party together, never mind an alliance of three or four others - and they've had a painful lesson to make the election about policies. Labour got a free ride on a manifesto that was in places very irresponsible.

They need a new leader clearly. That has been clear for about 5 or 6 weeks now.

Burnham would have been frightened of his own shadow and shat his pants from day one of the campaign.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Nah, the people spoke.

Well done last night and well into the morning. Sterling effort.
    Cheers, glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    welfordwelford Posts: 20
    edited June 2017
    SF winning more seats in Northern Ireland effectively lowers the winning post for the Conservative and Democratic Unionist block doesn't it?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

This deal with the DUP is going to utterly toxify the Tories. The Tories will hold Mansfield in the next election mind ;)

what choice do they have?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Alistair said:

So, maybe it turns out Obama in 2008 and 2012 wasn't big data micro targetting maths wizards woo and it was just he was a vastly better candidate than the opposition.

History is written by the victors. Same here. Crosby and Messina walked on water after 2015. In 2016 everyone was fawning over Dominic Cumming's account of how he won Brexit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Well blimey.

The other day I wondered on here whether we could be sure that Corbyn in power would ever voluntarily relinquish it. I cited his approval of Maoist regimes and his disregard of things like no confidence votes in support.

The responses were along the lines that existing constitutional constraints would prevent any such thing; oddly nobody suggested that Corbyn himself would never contemplate any such thing.

Here we are this morning and we have Corbyn 55 seats begin declaring victory.

I wasn't wrong about him.

Oh yes you were. You under-estimated him. Now May is in coalition with terrorist apologists and young Earth creationists.
    I under-estimated him, yes. Mea culpa. But in the above respect I suggest I wasn't wrong about him. From second place with no prospect of achieving a majority in the house, he has declared that he's won and should govern.
  • Options

Ms. Forethought, disagree. Burnham's not a terrorist sympathising self-declared friend of Hamas and Hezbollah.

This strengthens the far left significantly. It's a very poor result.

Yes indeed
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,033
    edited June 2017

Remainers are reinvigorated and excited this morning, It is not over. Meaningful Brexit now seriously in doubt

No it really isn't.

70% of the population including Remainers want it to go ahead. Corbyn if he ever did get close to power would not be able to do much of what he wants if we are inside the EU. The choice yesterday was between two parties that are both committed to Brexit and the two parties that were opposed both got a bloody nose. The Remainers are no closer to overturning Brexit than they were 3 weeks ago or 3 months ago.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

To what extend did differential age turnout, compared to predictions, screw up the Tory seat targeting? Or was that screwed up by other factors? Certainly it seems the Tory effort was directed to seats in a sub-optimal way...

What was not anticipated was Remain Conservatives in prosperous seats switching to Labour.
    Which is where the campaign singularly failed. We went for hard Brexit without also dragging Labour into it with us, too many people thought Labour would keep us in the single market and we didn't challenge that. Theresa May wasn't there in a debate with Corbyn to make him say "Labour will also take Britain out of the single market". It was our negligence which allowed that Labour policy to slide and it allowed them to present themselves as in favour of soft-Brexit to the remainers while actually supporting an almost identical version of Brexit as Theresa.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

what choice do they have?
    None.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

Theresa May to visit the palace at 12.30pm to seek permission to form a government.

HMQ should tell her no - You've lost - Bring me someone else.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,819
    Sandpit said:

SKY News reporting 'understanding' with DUP, but no need for formal agreement.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

Clocking in bloodied and humiliated after three hours in the Hersham stocks being lashed 100 times at one end by monks from the Order of the Psephologians and on the other pelted with the yolks of 319 rotten eggs.

But if my reputation as a sage is er, well and truly f**ked, that's nothing compared to Mrs M and the zombie administration she will soon be leading. Of course, she should go...but to be replaced by whom and when?? Almost all the putative successors are not much less crap than she is. Please not David Davis, please no.

So we're condemned to 'governing' (sic) until it likely all falls apart sometime in the not too distant future. If there's a way out that ends well for the party from this self inflicted imbroglio I can't see it. At least not today.

Commisserations John. You deserved better even if the Government didn't.

Would Ken Clarke do as an interim replacement until the Party sorts itself out a bit? It really can't afford another f*ck up and he is totally dependable and trusted.
    Hi Peter, I'm only mightily relieved that my election took place last month not yesterday, otherwise I'd be feeling REALLY sore!

No, Ken would tear what remains of the party (which will still form a government) into a zillion shreds. He's just too divisive. But who else? That's the rub. I think May does have to stay on for a few months until the picture becomes clearer. It's all very grim indeed.
  • Options

Ha, ha. I was right about May from the very start. The rest is detail ;-)

And it's been pissing down so perhaps no drought :-)
  • Options

She's resigning today.

Well she should. The difficult bit is working out how to manage the transition or whether the Conservatives go straight to a unity candidate (they don't seem in the mood for that).
    The Conservatives should stop worrying about their own mood and start thinking about the mood of the country. This could get ugly.

The Conservatives aren't in the least contrite. They think the only mistake was in the execution rather than the content. If they were chocolate, they'd eat themselves.

I thought the electorate gave some pretty clear signals yesterday. The Conservatives need to consider how they are going to address them.
    Higher student fees is the answer.
  • Options

She's resigning today.

Really? Which Conservatives have given you that impression?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Pulpstar said:

I doubt if they're going to implement DUP policies across England, Wales and Scotland. The concessions will be on issues like enacting a statute of limitations for ex-servicemen, which won't be unpopular.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    TGOHF said:

May gone by .... ?

September ?

Monday afternoon.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Sean_F said:

"No deal is better than a bad deal" is actually a good negotiating position, and is certainly smarter than the alternative.

But saying it before a GE and people (wrongly) assuming that she wanted hard Brexit? Insanity.

Perhaps this was the problem with calling a snap election; the overall strategy was not being thought through.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

and half of the ukip vote in many seats going to labour! If the tories got two thirds instead they would have made enough gains to ofset the southern losses?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Like her Maj will want the likes of Corbyn
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Prediction- May will ask the DUP to support ending the FTPA so her successor can cut and run in 4 months
  • Options

Alistair said:

History is written by the victors. Same here. Crosby and Messina walked on water after 2015. In 2016 everyone was fawning over Dominic Cumming's account of how he won Brexit.
    DC's thoughts on this campaign would be interesting..
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Then Jez rocks up with Nicola.
  • Options
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Not actually up to the Queen ;)
  • Options
    bazzer72bazzer72 Posts: 29
    I am short GBP on basis that pound has only fallen a bit because market sniffs hard brexit averted; but possibly likely to unravel next few days as it emerges May is going to battle on regardless, with a gun now held to her head by DUP & Duncan Smfuith type Eurosceptic hardliners - for me we are in worse possible scenario; she is very, very weakened but sceptics still in driving seat. Clock ticking. No evidence now brexit will go mega soft despite Osborne tweets, or are there enough Tory pro Europeans to detail and I am misreading?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036

dixiedean said:

Well blimey.

The other day I wondered on here whether we could be sure that Corbyn in power would ever voluntarily relinquish it. I cited his approval of Maoist regimes and his disregard of things like no confidence votes in support.

The responses were along the lines that existing constitutional constraints would prevent any such thing; oddly nobody suggested that Corbyn himself would never contemplate any such thing.

Oh yes you were. You under-estimated him. Now May is in coalition with terrorist apologists and young Earth creationists.
    I under-estimated him, yes. Mea culpa. But in the above respect I suggest I wasn't wrong about him. From second place with no prospect of achieving a majority in the house, he has declared that he's won and should govern.
    He's declared he wants to form a government. Why shouldn't he? Even if it is a stretch.
  • Options
    Is this peak Corbyn or can he kick on from here?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

dixiedean said:

Should Nicola resign ?

Pete Wishart?
    Tommy Sheppard I'd say.
    Cheers, I did like John Nicolson, I always thought he was a long term contender.
    Lots of decent people gone from all sides I'm sure, and we've still got filibustering Phil the sexist ffs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Floater said:

nunu said:

Boothman said:

thats the key. Thats also why he won the leadership. He had something to sell, and something to offer.
    And next time whoever the Tory candidate is for PM, they have to offer that vision too. And be a fuck of a lot smarter at politics. Labour will lose some of their shine - their policies will be under INTENSE scrutiny (they have to be - the way Hammond was absent from the field of battle, sulking at losing the Chancellor's job in the subsequent reshuffle, meant that there was no demolition job on the Labour manifesto it so richly deserved). And they won't be quite so shiny and new. Not quite so obvious as the for-tomorrow-we-die act of rebellion in supporting them. And not quite so fired up by anger at the Brexit outcome. But they will still be very formidable - and fired up by knowing that facing a 10,000 majority is not a bar to winning a seat.

But equally, next time the Tories can't be THAT inept again. Where did all their money go?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:

Paddy A says Ulster men should not be in government
    What a snob - no wonder his party are an irrelevance.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

perdix said:

Why do you think that? We coulf be a member of the EFTA, in the single market but out of the EU, just as Norway is.
    Politically impossible for the Tories to get through, this election has strengthened the position of the Brexit Ultras on the back benches. In no circumstances will they accept freedom of movement. The whole point of the election was to give her the numbers to be flexible and not beholden to them. Obvs a failure.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

She's resigning today.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/873080414583136256
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    welford said:

SF winning more seats in Northern Ireland effectively lowers the winning post for the Conservative and Democratic Unionist block doesn't it?

yes, DUP made two gains as well. Every little helps.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

Not actually up to the Queen ;)
    Should have put a smiley on it to signify the less than serious nature of post
  • Options
    isam said:

A very good question. I think we've all underestimated him to now.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

DC's thoughts on this campaign would be interesting..
    They should get him back to run the next Tory campaign. It looks to me like Corbyn took a lot of lessons from Cummings' post referendum analysis.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Would need more than the SNP surely?
  • Options
    The DUP wont toxify the tories, rather the tories will toxify the DUP!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Such as someone who lost worse?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She has 57 more seats than the next biggest party and ±750,000 more votes - on what basis is that" losing"?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957

She's resigning today.

Hilarious display of lack of awareness from him. Things like that are the reason people hate politicians.
  • Options
    bazzer72bazzer72 Posts: 29
    I am short GBP on basis that pound has only fallen a bit because market sniffs hard brexit averted; but possibly likely to unravel next few days as it emerges May is going to battle on regardless, with a gun now held to her head by DUP & Duncan Smith type Eurosceptic hardliners - for me we are in worse possible scenario; she is very, very weakened but sceptics still in driving seat. Clock ticking. No evidence now brexit will go mega soft despite Osborne tweets, or are there enough Tory pro Europeans to detail and I am misreading?

Market thinks brexit cancelled / softened, but Davis prob in negotiations in 10 days time, just more captive to swivel-eyed hard-line loons than anytime since the vote last year; just a gut reaction that Osborne disagreed with on ITV; what do you guys think?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Amusingly Labour mp's claiming Jezza is a unifying figure for country - they seem to have a very short memory.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There is no one else. Basic maths.
  • Options

She's resigning today.

That idiot. Thanks.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Sean_F said:

Did they switch in big numbers? Or just stay at home unenthused while Labour voters came out?
  • Options

She's resigning today.

What a muppet
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I think if Labour can put a shiny face on Corbyn's maifesto they could be onto a good thing.

What if Ed Milliband had run with this manifesto in 2015 rather than the weak sauce he went with?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916

No it really isn't.

70% of the population including Remainers want it to go ahead. Corbyn if he ever did get close to power would not be able to do much of what he wants if we are inside the EU. The choice yesterday was between two parties that are both committed to Brexit and the two parties that were opposed both got a bloody nose. The Remainers are no closer to overturning Brexit than they were 3 weeks ago or 3 months ago.

I think they're much closer. May said this was an election backing Brexit. She didn't get it. It's now down to parliamentary arithmatic. There are many ways the MPs can push it into the long grass and as 75% were against leaving the EU apart from paying lip service to 'the wishes of the people' they now have the power to do it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Well blimey.

He's declared he wants to form a government. Why shouldn't he? Even if it is a stretch.
    No, he has declared that he has won. That is different.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Mr. Pulpstar, perhaps at the next election people like Peston will ask more difficult questions than "Will you keep your allotment"?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

She's resigning today.

Oh dear god.... If it wasn't for Corbyn and McDonnell i'd be cheering on labour now myself..
  • Options
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Would need more than the SNP surely?
    They'd still be 24 behind the Tories on their own.....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    I just don't see how the Tories can win these young people back without Labour having a stint in government?
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited June 2017
    She needs to let the Labour coalition have a crack at running things, fail over the next twelve months, and collapse - otherwise I think that, when we go back to the polls in six months time, we'll end up with a labour absolute majority under the current leadership.
This discussion has been closed.