Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Breaking the chain. Can the Lib Dems defy history?

Comments

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017

Establishment Vs the people.

The trick is to make the people think there established. That's where the traitors come in.

What are you going on about?
    I'm talking about traitors who campaign for conservatives trickingvoters who make less than 80k a year that a vote for a conservative will benefit them and their families. It's a lie.

Only the rich benefit under a Tory government people who make 80k plus a year. Nobody else benefits. These people are traitors to the nation.
    I don't think that's quite true. Most people in this country earn less than 80k and quite a few of them, maybe even a majority, believe the country is better served by a Conservative government at the moment rather than one lead by Jeremy Corbyn...

Labour does not have a monopoly on morality.
    97% of them do in fact.

The other 3% of them don't make anything like enough to pay for everything to which Travel Junkie feels entitled. There is an upper limit to how much it is feasible for a state to spend, which is determined by how money its people have and how they will react if you take too much of it away.
    That's poo. Students in Scotland don't have to pay tuition fees and yet things still run and the motorways aren't getting potholed. The rich throughout Britain have got a lot richer in recent decades. If they and their filthy institutions such as the banks gave some of their ill-gotten spoils back, it would be easy for the government to fund tuition fees and mandatory student maintenance grants as they did in the 1970s. It could easily fund proper social care without charge for the elderly too. What's changed since then is the result of massive heists such as income tax cuts for the rich, inheritance tax cuts for the rich, privatisation, and normalisation of huge debt as soon as people turn 18. Reversing even a decade of two of robbery this redistribution of wealth to the extremely rich would easily pay for everything in the Labour manifesto. The only ones strutting around "entitled" are the rich.
  • Options

At the risk of talking up my own candidate, I don't really see why Tom Elliott is over 2/1 against holding FST. It's true that there are more Nationalist voters in the seat and it is very much a two-horse race. But the SDLP core isn't going to drop any more and there was a higher combined Unionist vote in the Assembly election than the SF vote.

I accept Michelle Gildernew is favourite, but I'd say TE should be no more than 6/4 against.

Just don't ask me for a prediction on South Belfast. I haven't the foggiest notion.

South Belfast must be the most exciting seat in the entire UK.
    It's genuinely fascinating. Without being party-political, almost anyone on the ballot would make a decent MP and I wouldn't be surprised at any of FOUR candidates getting in. Makes tactical voting very, very difficult.
    And also unnecessary?
    Oh totally. But in NI if a voter plumped for the 'wrong' candidate from 'their side' and themmuns get in, the voter will attack everyone involved in politics for not telling them 'correctly' who to vote for. I don't get real abuse on the door from SDLP or even SF voters. It's DUPers who burn my ears and say I 'should be ashamed' of being a UUP man.

If I had my toes held to the fire, I'd say SDLP hold but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised by any result between DUP/SF/SDLP/All.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

The trick is to make the people think there established. That's where the traitors come in.

I'm talking about traitors who campaign for conservatives trickingvoters who make less than 80k a year that a vote for a conservative will benefit them and their families. It's a lie.

Only the rich benefit under a Tory government people who make 80k plus a year. Nobody else benefits. These people are traitors to the nation.
    Remind me, which Party has taken millions of the poorest out of the Income Tax net? (Hint: not Labour in its 13 years in power...)

That would be the Lib Dems.
    Pushing through a policy which the Tories explicitly ruled out during the 2010 GE campaign - but have been very eager to take credit for since.
    Didn't it rise last year?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    London forecast to be totally cloudy tomorrow, which must be unusual in June.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743?day=1
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Uh oh..

@iainjwatson: Friends of Diane Abbott (not a euphemism for DA herself) say she was moved without consultation -not at her request
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2017
    Deleted
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    AndyJS said:

London forecast to be totally cloudy tomorrow, which must be unusual in June.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743?day=1

The weather was poor last June for EUref and turnout was high, the weather rarely makes much difference
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431
    Very sad that the home secretary for 6 years who didn't have to face conservative members to leader has decreased police numbers resources as home secretary and now has increased terrorism and u-turned on many manifesto policies plus given no policies on key issues without details.

Reward - pm.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

I have no problem with this - she's more than entitled to do so.

Yes. I think that survivors of atrocities should get extra tolerance when they say what conclusions it's led them to (in the same way though somewhat less partisan, Jo Cox's widower has been pushing the sort of things she believed in). Of course it doesn't necessarily make them right but they deserve a decent hearing.
  • Options
    NorthCadbollNorthCadboll Posts: 329
    Mark how many council seats did the SCons gain in East Dunbartonshire? More than 2?

Pulpstar said:

Cicero said:

Interesting looking at the Lib Dem possibilities including a few not mentioned. They clearly have chances in Bath, Cambridge, Cheltenham, OxWAB, Kingston, Twickenham, Southwark, Colchester, East Dumbarton, Edinburgh West, Fife NE, Argyllshire and possibly Caithness. So if their vote is concentrating, then they certainly could come out in the high teens rather than the low single figures.

I think the awful council performance for the yellows in E Dumb has muddied the tactical waters for Jo too much.
    In East Dunbarton the Lib Dems gained 2 council seats , how was that awful ?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    So are you going to be watching Sky or BBC for election night?

I usually flick between both channels but spent more time I reckon on Sky these past couple of elections as results feel like they come in quicker on there. I expect I will do the same again.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    IanB2 said:

Remarkable claim from the Survation guy that even rowing youth turnout back to 2015 levels only changes their forecast by a per cent or two

His reputation is on the line as are others. Some polling companies will be in real trouble after tomorrow.

For the first time I feel the narrative is changing and todays Evening Standard endorsing Theresa May and traducing labour policies by the IFS must have some traction in London.

The movememt of the leaders, the reports of a confident Theresa May from the journalists travelling with her, the anecdotal evidence of a failing labour campaign that may have peaked too soon, and Corbyn opposing derogation of human rights act plays into his soft on security theme
  • Options
    The restrictions tomorrow don't apply to websites like this. Is that right?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    jonny83 said:

I usually flick between both channels but spent more time I reckon on Sky these past couple of elections as results feel like they come in quicker on there. I expect I will do the same again.

Sky hands down. Trasher is superior.
  • Options

Just for a laugh... does anyone think the Tories could win Rochdale?

No.

Go to Rochdale and have a look. It will be the last ever constituency to stop being Labour....

I lived there for 12 years.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Remind me, which Party has taken millions of the poorest out of the Income Tax net? (Hint: not Labour in its 13 years in power...)

Pushing through a policy which the Tories explicitly ruled out during the 2010 GE campaign - but have been very eager to take credit for since.
    Remind me, what was the tax free allowance when the LibDems left the Coalition? And what is it now? How much have the Conservatives increased the amount you can earn since gaining a majority?

The Conservatives are still the party that wants to take people out of tax.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    jonny83 said:

Best place is here
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    JackW said:

Betfair Tory majority and most seats both coming in further. Put another 500 on the former earlier as couldnot wait for Jack w piece....

Oh dear ....

They'll be tears before bedtime .... :smile:

Hope not! I'm just taking the view that with only a few to go, we've not had a single poll (since god knows when) with the Tories not in the lead (however small) and I only need a majority of 2 to win on my bet.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Astonished that Labour didn't take the opportunity to have Cooper stand in for Diane Abbott, instead of some total no-mark. It could have got a few waverers back on board.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Gedling must be in trouble. If Labour lose Nottingham South we're probably heading for Blair 97' landslide territory so the fact NP says it's even in play makes me confident Labour are on the retreat.

Yes I think Gedling will fall, Nottingham South narrow Labour hold
    I don't think Nottingham South IS in play, frankly, but the Tories do. We shall see. I don't have personal experience from Gedling in this election but I gather from colleagues that Labour reckon they'll hold.
    Comres has the East Midlands showing the 3rd biggest pro Tory swing in England outside the North East and North West, the region was solidly Leave last year but we shall see
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

IanB2 said:

Remarkable claim from the Survation guy that even rowing youth turnout back to 2015 levels only changes their forecast by a per cent or two

So, why the large divergence from other polls like comres and ICM? Tough being a pollster
    Sadly the guy was the ultimate pollster anorak and was incapable of giving any sort of clear explanation or of getting even near the point in the time allotted by Mr Neil. I doubt Survation will be sending him anywhere near a TV studio again, if they have any sense.
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

IanB2 said:

His reputation is on the line as are others. Some polling companies will be in real trouble after tomorrow.

For the first time I feel the narrative is changing and todays Evening Standard endorsing Theresa May and traducing labour policies by the IFS must have some traction in London.

The movememt of the leaders, the reports of a confident Theresa May from the journalists travelling with her, the anecdotal evidence of a failing labour campaign that may have peaked too soon, and Corbyn opposing derogation of human rights act plays into his soft on security theme
    Evening standard has always endorsed the Tories. They've never endorsed another party even for mayor.

There represent the people that make ,80k a year.
  • Options

I have no problem with this - she's more than entitled to do so.

Yes. I think that survivors of atrocities should get extra tolerance when they say what conclusions it's led them to (in the same way though somewhat less partisan, Jo Cox's widower has been pushing the sort of things she believed in). Of course it doesn't necessarily make them right but they deserve a decent hearing.
    exactly.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    midwinter said:

The Tories aren't dumb - they're more than happy to take on policies from other parties when they're proven to be electorally successful.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Just for a laugh... does anyone think the Tories could win Rochdale? Surely the anti-Tory vote will split quite a bit and this has never been as firmly Labour as some suggest and some parts did used to be quite blue (Old Littleborough and Saddleworth). I might have a wee tickle.

I wouldn't mind Danczuk winning there, OK he's had a few issues but I think his work into the grooming scandal has almost broken him. I'd have a hard think about my vote there.
    I'm struggling to see Danczuk winning but it's his candidacy which makes me wonder if the Tories can come through the middle. Of course, a sitting MP can spring a surprise under a new label.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Betting Post

Backed No Safety Car at 3 (Ladbrokes) for Canada. Checking Wikipedia, seems there's only been 2 of the last 7 races to feature one, and weather forecast is for it to be cloudy but dry.

Looks good value - though I hate relying on this year's crop of youngsters not to put it in the wall...
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Anyone heard from Charlotte Church lately? No? Good.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Gedling must be in trouble. If Labour lose Nottingham South we're probably heading for Blair 97' landslide territory so the fact NP says it's even in play makes me confident Labour are on the retreat.

I don't think Nottingham South IS in play, frankly, but the Tories do. We shall see. I don't have personal experience from Gedling in this election but I gather from colleagues that Labour reckon they'll hold.
    Comres has the East Midlands showing the 3rd biggest pro Tory swing in England outside the North East and North West
    It'll probably be concentrated outside the Nottingham/Leicester metropolitan areas. Mansfield, Ashfield, etc.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    jonny83 said:

I’ll be flicking between the two, until I finally give up on Aunty’s sluggishness with results and constantly missing declarations.
  • Options

Mark how many council seats did the SCons gain in East Dunbartonshire? More than 2?

Pulpstar said:

Cicero said:

Interesting looking at the Lib Dem possibilities including a few not mentioned. They clearly have chances in Bath, Cambridge, Cheltenham, OxWAB, Kingston, Twickenham, Southwark, Colchester, East Dumbarton, Edinburgh West, Fife NE, Argyllshire and possibly Caithness. So if their vote is concentrating, then they certainly could come out in the high teens rather than the low single figures.

I think the awful council performance for the yellows in E Dumb has muddied the tactical waters for Jo too much.
    In East Dunbarton the Lib Dems gained 2 council seats , how was that awful ?
    I think Nicolson will hold on, he seems very affable and is a recognisable figure. He always knew it would be tough to keep the seat so my guess is he has worked alot harder than many of his colleagues.
  • Options

Remind me, what was the tax free allowance when the LibDems left the Coalition? And what is it now? How much have the Conservatives increased the amount you can earn since gaining a majority?

The Conservatives are still the party that wants to take people out of tax.
    A lot higher than it would have been without the Lib Dems.
    To the tune of thousands.
    Have a read of the 2010 Tory manifesto and the 2010 Lib Dem one.
    And yes, when the Lib Dem policy proved to be both successful and popular, the Tories were eager to take credit for it and keep it going.
    Doesn't make it retrospectively their policy or idea, though. Rewriting history is not a good thing to do.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Just flicked through the last thread. The number of people waxing lyrical about Michael Gove makes me realise why so many were concerned by the dementia tax
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Very sad that the home secretary for 6 years who didn't have to face conservative members to leader has decreased police numbers resources as home secretary and now has increased terrorism and u-turned on many manifesto policies plus given no policies on key issues without details.

Reward - pm.

Churchill's blundering as Chancellor in late '20s didn't stop him being made PM.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    jonny83 said:

ITV – Ozzy and Ed Balls. Should be a hoot!

• Options
    Roger said:

Just flicked through the last thread. The number of people waxing lyrical about Michael Gove makes me realise why so many were concerned by the dementia tax

• Options
    Roger said:

Property market crash looms.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    If Jack's ARSE is out this evening, I don't want to steal his thunder, so FWIW, my election forecast:

Con 360
    Lab 215
    LD 6
    Grn 1
    UKIP 0
    SNP 47
    PC 3
    NI 18

Con maj: 70

Based on: 45/36/8/2/3/4.2/0.6 plus finger in the air adjustment.

Betting wise, I have:
    LDs under 29
    Cons under 398
    Lab above 160
    Con victories in Swansea West 2/1, Tooting 5/4, Carshalton and Wallington 9/5
    Lab next leader: E. Thornberry 25/1, S. Kinnock 18/1, L. Nandy 14/1
    LD next leader: N. Clegg, A. Carmichael (both 16/1)

And if anyone's interested in why I've chosen to vote the way I did two weeks ago by post, here it is:

http://www.lifestuff.xyz/blog/face-up-or-run-away
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

The Tories aren't dumb - they're more than happy to take on policies from other parties when they're proven to be electorally successful.
    Lol. is all
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Prodicus said:

Anyone heard from Charlotte Church lately? No? Good.

Charlotte Church has been locked in a cupboard with Philip Hammond for the duration. At least I expect that's why we've not seen our esteemed Chancellor on the telly. Nothing to do with planned tax rises.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. B, it was old man Button who did it last time. Also, VSC should help.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Comres has the East Midlands showing the 3rd biggest pro Tory swing in England outside the North East and North West
    It'll probably be concentrated outside the Nottingham/Leicester metropolitan areas. Mansfield, Ashfield, etc.
    Bolsover?

(still can't see it, but....)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

If Jack's ARSE is out this evening, I don't want to steal his thunder, so FWIW, my election forecast:

Con 360
    Lab 215
    LD 6
    Grn 1
    UKIP 0
    SNP 47
    PC 3
    NI 18

Betting wise, I have:
    LDs under 29
    Cons under 398
    Lab above 160

And if anyone's interested in why I've chosen to vote the way I did two weeks ago by post, here it is:

You think Clegg will hold Hallam?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

No.

Go to Rochdale and have a look. It will be the last ever constituency to stop being Labour....

I lived there for 12 years.
    I have never lived there, but I have friends who do. Visiting is like time warping back to the 70s :D
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    jonny83 said:

reason is they have people in over 300 counts (they use media studies students and lecturers)
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Pulpstar said:

Astonished that Labour didn't take the opportunity to have Cooper stand in for Diane Abbott, instead of some total no-mark. It could have got a few waverers back on board.

She'll be the main challenger to Corbyn's leadership next week ..... no chance she's allowed the chance to shine now.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

Corbyn opposing derogation of human rights act plays into his soft on security theme

How does less human rights = more security? They have no human rights in Iran and they've just had the fuck blown out of them.

• Options

jonny83 said:

ITV – Ozzy and Ed Balls. Should be a hoot!

Likely to mean I watch ITV this time (post DD & bongs) and only go to BBC during any adverts. Also avoids Jeremy Vine this way - yeehaw. The first 2 hours will be mainly waffle and 'too early to say' so rather hear that duo.

Shame they couldn't make a late transfer bid for Prof Curtice though!
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Whatever they have on in Omagh Leisure Centre!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Bolsover?

Isn't Nottingham South packed full of students?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Not writing them off yet.

"There are no obvious reasons to presume that seats that the Lib Dems have a special interest in are going to differ particularly from the par."

There is one obvious reason, and that is Brexit.

The Lib Dems' focus on Brexit appears to have cut no ice in 640 seats. But that's not to say that it has bombed absolutely everywhere.

Cambridge, OxWAb, Twickenham, even Vauxhall are places where the Lib Dem message could work. I don't know whether it has or not: I can see the Lib Dems coming out of this with anywhere between 4 and 18 seats. But it's too early - a day and a half too early, to be precise - to predict a wipe-out with any certainty.

Why would any Remain voter support the Lib Dems now? Has that ship not sailed?
    Weirdly, it would have made sense if UKIP had remained a force.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    British Muslim leaders have refused to say the traditional prayers at the funerals of the London Bridge murderers. The Muslim Council of Britain says that their acts "alienate them from any association with our community for whom the inviolability of every human life is the founding principle." In other words, they are saying that they do not recognise the murderers as martyrs or even as Muslims. They are saying they will go to hell.

Any decent person will praise the MCB for doing the right thing. They are a credit not just to Islam but to Britain.

Tories of course will "explain", from their colonialist supposed understanding of the "swarthy mind", that aktchewally the jihadist murderers were operating wholly within "Muslim culture", albeit in an "extreme" part of it, in the hope of pronging more "virgins" than a Tory "financial services provider" on a jolly in Riyadh could get through in a month.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Pulpstar said:

I very much doubt she would have agreed if asked. The number of senior backbenchers who were willing to say that they had no confidence in Corbyn as leader of his party is one of the many dogs that has not really barked in this campaign. They have stayed quiet and out of the way so that the blame falls where it belongs.

It has made May's use or non use of her own cabinet, especially her Chancellor, even odder. She had the potential to contrast a united team with one in disarray and has chosen not to use it preferring a very Presidential approach.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Lol. is all
    Nah, you have to give them credit for it. They've pinched half of Miliband's manifesto as well - but I'm not convinced that was quite as popular, to be fair.
  • Options

No.

Rochdale was a little dem seat 10 years ago.

Stop trying to create a narrative
    Who me? I only do narratives on shoes - ask around. It is true I assure you.... I am PB's leading shoe specialist, especially on slingbacks and wedges.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Probably but Gedling was also a clear Leave win last year, Nottingham a narrow Leave wib
  • Options
    Hammond is out and about in Kingston.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited June 2017

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Bolsover?

Isn't Nottingham South packed full of students?
    It is during term time. I assume they are not there now as the one person I know at Nottingham is home.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Here's my prediction:

Con 355
    Lab 218
    LD 8
    PC 3
    SNP 46
    UKIP 0
    Other 19

Majority 60

To feed my UNS model, I'm using Hanretty's estimates for England and the latest individual Scottish and Welsh polls for Scotland and Wales.

I'm making a profit on the seat spreads up to 125 but hopefully by then some of my long-punts in individual constituencies will start to come through.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Whatever they have on in Omagh Leisure Centre!
    Omagh???? I think I drove through it once.

Well, it is an upgrade from Rochdale in any case :D
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ex Labour peer with 5.3m followers on twitter counters the luvvies

Lord Sugar‏Verified account @Lord_Sugar 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    If you admire or trust me as an east end boy done good by honest hard graft .I sincetely beg or advise you not to vote for Corbyn #trustme
  • Options

Not writing them off yet.

"There are no obvious reasons to presume that seats that the Lib Dems have a special interest in are going to differ particularly from the par."

There is one obvious reason, and that is Brexit.

The Lib Dems' focus on Brexit appears to have cut no ice in 640 seats. But that's not to say that it has bombed absolutely everywhere.

Cambridge, OxWAb, Twickenham, even Vauxhall are places where the Lib Dem message could work. I don't know whether it has or not: I can see the Lib Dems coming out of this with anywhere between 4 and 18 seats. But it's too early - a day and a half too early, to be precise - to predict a wipe-out with any certainty.

Why would any Remain voter support the Lib Dems now? Has that ship not sailed?
    They're offering another referendum on the final deal.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_P said:

Uh oh..

@iainjwatson: Friends of Diane Abbott (not a euphemism for DA herself) say she was moved without consultation -not at her request

Well there's a surprise.

It's a silly thing to do anyway, they've simply drawn even more attention to her.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hammond is out and about in Kingston.

Buying popcorn?
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

Sporting Index have a series of "Election Specials", one of which relates to the UK Turnout Percentage where the current spread is 63.0% - 63.5%. In 2015 the turnout was 66.4% and in 2010 it was 65.1%.
    Since we are constantly being told that the Yoof are set to turn out like never before to vote big time for Corbyn, it seems reasonable to assume that turnout overall will be similar to if not in excess of that for the previous two elections. Indeed the traditional bookies appear to be of this view, with Hills, for example, offering odds of 9/4 against turnout being < 63% and 1/3 on it exceeding that percentage.
    Accordingly a BUY of Turnout % at 63.5% appears to offer real value for those prepared to undertake the additional financial exposure involved in spread-betting. It might be worth checking the national weather forecast for tomorrow before taking the plunge (no pun intended!)
    As ever DYOR.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

British Muslim leaders have refused to say the traditional prayers at the funerals of the London Bridge murderers. The Muslim Council of Britain says that their acts "alienate them from any association with our community for whom the inviolability of every human life is the founding principle." In other words, they are saying that they do not recognise the murderers as martyrs or even as Muslims. They are saying they will go to hell.

:+1::+1::+1:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Mr. B, it was old man Button who did it last time. Also, VSC should help.

I know, Mr.D. Just makes it all the more galling.
    As I said, good odds... but not enough to banish my mental image of Stroll devaluing the Wall of Champions with his carbon fibre.
  • Options
    Labour vote share with PP 25-30 per cent =6/1.
    20-25 per cent =33/1
    Just saying
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Tories now on 62% with Leave voters, 2% up on last week, Labour also slightly increased its lead with Remain voters but Tories doing better with Remain voters than Labour are with Leave voters. Suggests carnage for Labour in the North, the Midlands and Wales but Labour holding its own in London and maybe picking up a few Tory seats in the South
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/07/maps-charts-showing-state-play-eve-general-election/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. B, it was galling. I've rarely been so irritated a bet didn't come off, because it was entirely unnecessary. Mistakes and bad luck happen, but when a driver's just stupid it's irksome.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

She may have been approached by team Corbyn, but declined. – Wouldn’t be the first time.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
  • Options

***** Betting Post *****

Sporting Index have a series of "Election Specials", one of which relates to the UK Turnout Percentage where the current spread is 63.0% - 63.5%. In 2015 the turnout was 66.4% and in 2010 it was 65.1%.
    Since we are constantly being told that the Yoof are set to turn out like never before to vote big time for Corbyn, it seems reasonable to assume that turnout overall will be similar to if not in excess of that for the previous two elections. Indeed the traditional bookies appear to be of this view, with Hills, for example, offering odds of 9/4 against turnout being < 63% and 1/3 on it exceeding that percentage.
    Accordingly a BUY of Turnout % at 63.5% appears to offer real value for those prepared to undertake the additional financial exposure involved in spread-betting. It might be worth checking the national weather forecast for tomorrow before taking the plunge (no pun intended!)
    As ever DYOR.

Turnout sub 63% @ 9-4 and buying 63.5%+ on the spreads is a decent combo.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Roger said:

Been looming for a while now, it will get blamed on Brexit but in reality is the normal cycle
  • Options
    nico777nico777 Posts: 7

IanB2 said:

So a former Tory Chancellor endorsing his own party is going to sway votes! Lol The Tories are going to do badly in a London because of more police cuts to come . Vote Tory to be less safe is hardly going to be a vote winner.
  • Options
    @martinboon: @ICMResearch has preliminary @guardian final poll data but we continue to poll through this evening. Might be tonight; might be tomorrow.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Scott_P said:
    They had a chance to deal with the unfair imbalance between the percentage vote and the number of seats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_Commission_(UK)

It was commissioned 20 years ago.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
    Scott_P said:

@martinboon: @ICMResearch has preliminary @guardian final poll data but we continue to poll through this evening. Might be tonight; might be tomorrow.

Oh no! :(
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    As I reported previously, in the Citizenship class at my daughter's school and their mock GE, no one (0) wanted to be Labour - it was all Tory, Lib Dem or Greens I think (not sure re kippers - didn't ask). One class mate on Jeremy Corbyn asked if he was the homeless one.

[caveat - this is Bucks]
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Rough start for Halep in the quarters, French Open.
  • Options
    Not sure, but if he does, 16/1's not a bad price... only small £s tho.

• Options

Roger said:

Been looming for a while now, it will get blamed on Brexit but in reality is the normal cycle
    It'll crash more if Corbyn and his loons get in.
  • Options
    There has been a further move towards the Tories on the GE Seats spread markets this morning. In the case of IG, they go 367 - 373 (i.e. 370 mid point) on the Blue Team, which is about 10 seats higher than they were offering last night. The other two firms are a couple of seats lower than this.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

jonny83 said:

Best place is here
    Hear hear! PB was miles ahead of the TV on Referendum Night.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Pulpstar said:

Perhaps they did..
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

More
    If you admire or trust me as an east end boy done good by honest hard graft .I sincetely beg or advise you not to vote for Corbyn #trustme

Good on him.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Any decent person will praise the MCB for doing the right thing. They are a credit not just to Islam but to Britain.

Tories of course will "explain", from their colonialist supposed understanding of the "swarthy mind", that aktchewally the jihadist murderers were operating wholly within "Muslim culture", albeit in an "extreme" part of it, in the hope of pronging more "virgins" than a Tory "financial services provider" on a jolly in Riyadh could get through in a month.

Well done them. This is what I've been calling for - http://www.lifestuff.xyz/blog/issue-the-fatwa - but don't tar "Tories' with your bigoted brush.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

Con 360
    Lab 215
    LD 6
    Grn 1
    UKIP 0
    SNP 47
    PC 3
    NI 18

Betting wise, I have:
    LDs under 29
    Cons under 398
    Lab above 160

why do you think swansea west will fall?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501

dr_spyn said:
    As I reported previously, in the Citizenship class at my daughter's school and their mock GE, no one (0) wanted to be Labour - it was all Tory, Lib Dem or Greens I think (not sure re kippers - didn't ask). One class mate on Jeremy Corbyn asked if he was the homeless one.

[caveat - this is Bucks]
    Nobody wanted to vote for Bercow?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Scott_P said:

Didn't they publish one version in 2015 and then revise it (not very much) a bit later?
  • Options

More

Good on him.
    had another go to make it stronger

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/872428328824827904
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

jonny83 said:

Best place is here
    Hear hear! PB was miles ahead of the TV on Referendum Night.
    That was mainly due to the Hanretty 50/50 spreadsheet..
    I made a decent profit thanks to that.
    Therefore i am.backing Hanretty to get it right again.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

Pulpstar said:

She may have been approached by team Corbyn, but declined. – Wouldn’t be the first time.
    "The ship's going down. We have an empty berth. Would you care to fill it?"
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

What's wrong with the word penis?

twitter.com/UKLabour/status/872360985897558016

That is a bit of a creepy advert - not because of the "winky" - but because of the emotional blackmail angle.

Yeeuuch!
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Take 9-2 on Labour in Weaver Vale.Us Corbynites like a bet.Price could collapse.Backed down to 4-1 in 2 places.An opportunity for a nice arb.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Cyan said:

Link? Or just feeble trolling?
This discussion has been closed.