Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Breaking the chain. Can the Lib Dems defy history?

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    It might be me as someone who dislikes Corbyn but does anyone else feel the Labour campaign is unraveling at breakneck speed at just the wrong time? It appears since that Dermot interview the stuffing has been knocked out of their campaign, while the Tories have at last appeared more 'strong and stable'. One of the many polls may well but correct but I can forsee not just your traditional 'incumbent swingback' but something greater happening at the moment which may skew the expected result.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Pulpstar said:

Hammond is out and about in Kingston.

Sunning himself on a Jamaican beach the day before the election? He must think it's in the bag.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

@martinboon: @ICMResearch has preliminary @guardian final poll data but we continue to poll through this evening. Might be tonight; might be tomorrow.

Didn't they publish one version in 2015 and then revise it (not very much) a bit later?
    They've did. Came out Wednesday afternoon and an updated one Thursday morning.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    GIN1138 said:
    It never went away you know......
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

dr_spyn said:
    As I reported previously, in the Citizenship class at my daughter's school and their mock GE, no one (0) wanted to be Labour - it was all Tory, Lib Dem or Greens I think (not sure re kippers - didn't ask). One class mate on Jeremy Corbyn asked if he was the homeless one.

[caveat - this is Bucks]
    Nobody wanted to vote for Bercow?
    National election rather than local constituency old boy. Otherwise obviously he'd have scored 100% in their polling.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Brom said:

It might be me as someone who dislikes Corbyn but does anyone else feel the Labour campaign is unraveling at breakneck speed at just the wrong time? It appears since that Dermot interview the stuffing has been knocked out of their campaign, while the Tories have at last appeared more 'strong and stable'. One of the many polls may well but correct but I can forsee not just your traditional 'incumbent swingback' but something greater happening at the moment which may skew the expected result.

It's been "unraveling" since TM and JC went on Question Time, IMO.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    You think Clegg will hold Hallam?

why do you think swansea west will fall?

It's a small punt on the basis that the early Welsh polling 'might' be right and, as a former reporter on the South Wales Echo in Cardiff, I'd be delighted to get some money out of people in Swansea for the first time ever.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Pulpstar said:

Hammond is out and about in Kingston.

Sunning himself on a Jamaican beach the day before the election? He must think it's in the bag.
    Crisis? What crisis? ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

Uh oh..

@iainjwatson: Friends of Diane Abbott (not a euphemism for DA herself) say she was moved without consultation -not at her request

Well there's a surprise.

It's a silly thing to do anyway, they've simply drawn even more attention to her.
    So Jezza's take on giving someone full support and then sacking them is to give someone full support while you sack them.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

It never went away you know......

Yep, increasingly thinking this. The "poll movements" are meaningless, the campaign did nothing. Tories were always going to win comfortably.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    My one major fear is a terrorist attack tonight or tomorrow. Would this mean a postponed election? Obviously there is never a good time for an attack but the chances sadly must be higher at this GE than ever before.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Astonished that Labour didn't take the opportunity to have Cooper stand in for Diane Abbott, instead of some total no-mark. It could have got a few waverers back on board.

Maybe she was asked and refused; or was asked but couldn't spare the time as she is in trouble in her seat?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

jonny83 said:

So are you going to be watching Sky or BBC for election night?

I usually flick between both channels but spent more time I reckon on Sky these past couple of elections as results feel like they come in quicker on there. I expect I will do the same again.

Best place is here
    Hear hear! PB was miles ahead of the TV on Referendum Night.
    And very profitable!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Pulpstar said:

Astonished that Labour didn't take the opportunity to have Cooper stand in for Diane Abbott, instead of some total no-mark. It could have got a few waverers back on board.

Maybe she was asked and refused; or was asked but couldn't spare the time as she is in trouble in her seat?
    Her seat needs over 17% swing.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    As I reported previously, in the Citizenship class at my daughter's school and their mock GE, no one (0) wanted to be Labour - it was all Tory, Lib Dem or Greens I think (not sure re kippers - didn't ask). One class mate on Jeremy Corbyn asked if he was the homeless one.

[caveat - this is Bucks]
    Nobody wanted to vote for Bercow?
    National election rather than local constituency old boy. Otherwise obviously he'd have scored 100% in their polling.
    I'll never understand that.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Brom said:

My one major fear is a terrorist attack tonight or tomorrow. Would this mean a postponed election? Obviously there is never a good time for an attack but the chances sadly must be higher at this GE than ever before.

No. The election would continue. Otherwise every election would be disrupted by terrorists.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Off-topic:

I wonder why none of the posters who used to breathlessly post Breibart's readership figures and ad placements haven't done so over the last few months?

;)
  • Options
    hmm.... honest, principled, breath of fresh air....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Brom said:

No.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,326
    Talking of Liberal Democrats and other no hopers, does anyone give Pakistan a prayer today?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Brainwashing alert - Not once has the Tory ad left the right hand side of my facebook. Not for a single minute, adblock doesn't stop it either.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    YouGov has updated its rolling model again. Still 42/38. Tories down two seats to 302. Labour up three to 269. SNP down two to 44. LibDem 12. The very slow move toward Labour continues.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    Brom said:

As someone who likes Corbyn, it has definitely slowed down since the campaign shifted from 'look at our manifesto' towards 'look at the gaps where 20,000 police used to be'. But I'd (want to) interpret that as a successful defense against a period of Tory offensive that could have been a rout.

The way Corbyn's been bringing the manifesto round on the rallies, I think he and McDonnell are thinking most about how to keep it as the basis for Labour's future development more than anything else. Trying to urge their supporters to read it rather than the New Labour 'just smile and deliver leaflets' model.
  • Options

hmm.... honest, principled, breath of fresh air....
    Not the first time Corbyn's used and dumped Diane Abbott?
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

jonny83 said:

I usually flick between both channels but spent more time I reckon on Sky these past couple of elections as results feel like they come in quicker on there. I expect I will do the same again.

Best place is here
    And very profitable!!
    To profit you have to watch the BBC (because everyone does, and it moves the markets) and read PB!
  • Options
    glw said:

Brom said:

No.
    No. But the realist in me can't see a day without an incident at a polling station.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    IanB2 said:

YouGov has updated its rolling model again. Still 42/38. Tories down two seats to 302. Labour up three to 269. SNP down two to 44. LibDem 12. The very slow move toward Labour continues.

Hmm...
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Diane Abbott being replaced by Lyn Brown had me wondering why I recognised the formers name and her picture. So, I looked her up on Wikipedia and it is the same Lyn Brown who pushed a blind man apparently.

What does it say about the Labour party that Abbott who doesn't seem able to even master the Home Office brief is replaced by someone who does not seem to be able to master basic human civilities? I mean pushing a blind man is just not socially acceptable, maybe Corbyn should give her the push!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited June 2017
    IanB2 said:

Hanretty has a Tory 100 seat majority and he was bang on in EU ref unlike Yougov
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brainwashing alert - Not once has the Tory ad left the right hand side of my facebook. Not for a single minute, adblock doesn't stop it either.

If you are spending all your time on facebook its way too late to worry about brainwashing.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

***** Betting Post *****

Sporting Index have a series of "Election Specials", one of which relates to the UK Turnout Percentage where the current spread is 63.0% - 63.5%. In 2015 the turnout was 66.4% and in 2010 it was 65.1%.
    Since we are constantly being told that the Yoof are set to turn out like never before to vote big time for Corbyn, it seems reasonable to assume that turnout overall will be similar to if not in excess of that for the previous two elections. Indeed the traditional bookies appear to be of this view, with Hills, for example, offering odds of 9/4 against turnout being < 63% and 1/3 on it exceeding that percentage.
    Accordingly a BUY of Turnout % at 63.5% appears to offer real value for those prepared to undertake the additional financial exposure involved in spread-betting. It might be worth checking the national weather forecast for tomorrow before taking the plunge (no pun intended!)
    As ever DYOR.

Curious pattern that PfP. You would think that if there was to be a surprise it would be on the upside, and that the downside would be limited, which would point to the spreads being much higher than 63.5% if you can get 9/4 on less than 63%.

On another note, am told Corbyn not helpful in Workington, since despite the Labour manifesto and the sitting MPs positions supporting nuclear Corbyn not trusted on this point. Can't believe it makes as much difference as in Copeland, but...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

jonny83 said:

Best place is here
    And very profitable!!
    To profit you have to watch the BBC (because everyone does, and it moves the markets) and read PB!
    Wonder how the BBC presenters will have voted. Dimblebore nailed on Labour, Andrew Neil defo Tory.
    Laura K Tory this time I'd guess but normally Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do you think facebook will have an impact this election? My timeline is 90% often surprising friends posting Labour videos with high numbers of likes, 9% normies going about their daily life, and 1% brave Tories with one like total. The last will be happier than the first on Friday.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Brom said:

No it would just prolong the violence, they are particularly targeting the election period
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Is this what gamblers call going all in?
  • Options
    Should the consensus final view of the other pollsters this evening come in showing a Tory majority of between say 80 - 100, is it really conceivable that YouGov will stick to its latest model and forecast the Tories falling short of achieving any majority at all?
    Massive embarrassment if they were to call it so wrong, on the other hand huge kudos should they be proved correct.
    Squeaky bum time doesn't come close.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Brom said:

As someone who likes Corbyn, it has definitely slowed down since the campaign shifted from 'look at our manifesto' towards 'look at the gaps where 20,000 police used to be'. But I'd (want to) interpret that as a successful defense against a period of Tory offensive that could have been a rout.

The way Corbyn's been bringing the manifesto round on the rallies, I think he and McDonnell are thinking most about how to keep it as the basis for Labour's future development more than anything else. Trying to urge their supporters to read it rather than the New Labour 'just smile and deliver leaflets' model.
    I think that's right.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298

You think Clegg will hold Hallam?

why do you think swansea west will fall?

It's a small punt on the basis that the early Welsh polling 'might' be right and, as a former reporter on the South Wales Echo in Cardiff, I'd be delighted to get some money out of people in Swansea for the first time ever.

fair enough - can't see it myself, as labour did very well in the council elections in swansea this year.
    also the south wales west polling subsamples (I know caveats apply etc) in 4 most recent polls
    were

tory % of 43% 36% 26% 32%
    labour% of 29% 37% 56% and 52%

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Not writing them off yet.

"There are no obvious reasons to presume that seats that the Lib Dems have a special interest in are going to differ particularly from the par."

There is one obvious reason, and that is Brexit.

The Lib Dems' focus on Brexit appears to have cut no ice in 640 seats. But that's not to say that it has bombed absolutely everywhere.

Cambridge, OxWAb, Twickenham, even Vauxhall are places where the Lib Dem message could work. I don't know whether it has or not: I can see the Lib Dems coming out of this with anywhere between 4 and 18 seats. But it's too early - a day and a half too early, to be precise - to predict a wipe-out with any certainty.

Why would any Remain voter support the Lib Dems now? Has that ship not sailed?
    They're offering another referendum on the final deal.
    But how many Remainers a/ think there should be endless referendums until the 'right' result is judged to the conclusive one, b/ believe this so strongly they'd switch from Lab or Con to, well, Farron, and c/ consider a party with 8 seats now likely to be in any position to deliver?

That number is surely 0.0 voters per seat. I think this is the biggest red herring ever.
  • Options

One technical issue that we've not discussed is the unwind of first-time incumbency bonus. There is lots of evidence, reinforced in 2015, that first-time incumbents get a bonus - people say "X hasn't done too badly, let's give them another term". The same research suggests that this declines over time - people gradually shift into "time to give someone ls a go" mood. (I've been there, got the T-shirt.) There were lots of first-time Tories from 2010 defending in 2015. It's possible that it's eroded somewhat, and that that's why ICM is showing a swing to Labour in Tory marginals at the same time as it's showing a swing to the Tories in Labour marginals.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Off-topic:

I wonder why none of the posters who used to breathlessly post Breibart's readership figures and ad placements haven't done so over the last few months?

;)

Mike banned her.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310

Should the consensus final view of the other pollsters this evening come in showing a Tory majority of between say 80 - 100, is it really conceivable that YouGov will stick to its latest model and forecast the Tories falling short of achieving any majority at all?
    Massive embarrassment if they were to call it so wrong, on the other hand huge kudos should they be proved correct.
    Squeaky bum time doesn't come close.

If they don't stick to it then they're committing intellectual fraud.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Brom said:

It would go ahead even if the worse happens. Campaigning and the process of voting are two different dynamics. The national campaign finishes today anyway, it is all about getting the votes out in every seat tomorrow, which is local campaigning.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Hmm...
    Both YouGov and Survation are now adamant that their balanced parliament forecast does not rest upon the Youth Tsunami coming to pass.

This campaign has turned from one of the most boring to one of the most interesting in a few short weeks.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Model update: BE 353, Ashcroft 357, Baxter 361 (4/jun), Hanretty 375. Spin at 370 and climbing.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Do you think facebook will have an impact this election? My timeline is 90% often surprising friends posting Labour videos with high numbers of likes, 9% normies going about their daily life, and 1% brave Tories with one like total. The last will be happier than the first on Friday.
    The relentless Another Angry Voice pushing (Hey I won't fall out/defriend anyone over politics pretty much) by a couple of friends and Tory ad combo has definitely pushed me to the right.
    My other half's timeline is hilariously left wing right now, proper bubble immersion stuff - she's sensible enough to realise Labour probably won't win though.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited June 2017
    TOPPING said:

glw said:

Brom said:

No.
    No. But the realist in me can't see a day without an incident at a polling station.
    Yes I'm not saying there will be no incidents but no way will it stop the election for precisely the reason given by Carlotta.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    Sean_F said:

Vote conservative - let the rich have everything and everyone else suffer.

That's why I'm campaigning for the Conservatives.
    Shooting poor people, and the extension of slavery to anyone who doesn't have a knighthood.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Gedling must be in trouble. If Labour lose Nottingham South we're probably heading for Blair 97' landslide territory so the fact NP says it's even in play makes me confident Labour are on the retreat.

Yes I think Gedling will fall, Nottingham South narrow Labour hold
    I don't think Nottingham South IS in play, frankly, but the Tories do. We shall see. I don't have personal experience from Gedling in this election but I gather from colleagues that Labour reckon they'll hold.
    Comres has the East Midlands showing the 3rd biggest pro Tory swing in England outside the North East and North West
    It'll probably be concentrated outside the Nottingham/Leicester metropolitan areas. Mansfield, Ashfield, etc.
    Bolsover?

(still can't see it, but....)
    Skinner (along with Blair, Brown and Miliband) has managed to whittle Bolsover's majority down from 27k in 1997 to 11k in 2015. That ought to be safeish but with Con and UKIP both on about a quarter of the vote (to Labour's half), it does potentially put Skinner into vulnerable territory if Con can capture a lot of the UKIP support - though the fact that UKIP is standing again (despite Skinner and the Tories both being effectively pro-Brexit) may not help them.

That said, I'd still expect him to win with a comfortable four-figure majority.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Brom said:

I think there will be a big bottling of voting for Corbyn tomorrow. Especially amongst women. Bit like a holiday romance. At first, she was flattered by the attention of the older man, with his rakish charm and a way with a crowd. But now he's said a few things that make her doubt him. And he's started darkly suggesting he could come back to live with her after the holiday is over.

And now she's starting to think - is he just after me for my money?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Brom said:

It's been "unraveling" since TM and JC went on Question Time, IMO.
    I have a feeling we are heading back to where we were at the beginning of the campaign in terms of mood.Labour canvass returns have been awful throughout the campaign .What if all the polling during the election has been froth and things haven't really changed at all?
  • Options
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

glw said:

Brom said:

No.
    Yes I'm not saying there will be no incidents but no way will it stop the election for precisely the reason given by Carlotta.
    oh no, the election will not be stopped. Just that there is likely to be some horribleness around it.
  • Options
    TW1R64TW1R64 Posts: 56
    Just had a lovely young man ring my bell in Twickenham.
    Would I be voting for Theresa May?
    Yes I'll be voting Conservative.
    Would I like a reminder tomorrow? No thanks not necessary.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brom said:

Gedling must be in trouble. If Labour lose Nottingham South we're probably heading for Blair 97' landslide territory so the fact NP says it's even in play makes me confident Labour are on the retreat.

Yes I think Gedling will fall, Nottingham South narrow Labour hold
    I don't think Nottingham South IS in play, frankly, but the Tories do. We shall see. I don't have personal experience from Gedling in this election but I gather from colleagues that Labour reckon they'll hold.
    Comres has the East Midlands showing the 3rd biggest pro Tory swing in England outside the North East and North West
    It'll probably be concentrated outside the Nottingham/Leicester metropolitan areas. Mansfield, Ashfield, etc.
    Bolsover?

(still can't see it, but....)
    Skinner (along with Blair, Brown and Miliband) has managed to whittle Bolsover's majority down from 27k in 1997 to 11k in 2015. That ought to be safeish but with Con and UKIP both on about a quarter of the vote (to Labour's half), it does potentially put Skinner into vulnerable territory if Con can capture a lot of the UKIP support - though the fact that UKIP is standing again (despite Skinner and the Tories both being effectively pro-Brexit) may not help them.

That said, I'd still expect him to win with a comfortable four-figure majority.
    Agree. Be surprised if the Conservatives get within 3,000.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just flicked through the last thread. The number of people waxing lyrical about Michael Gove makes me realise why so many were concerned by the dementia tax

LOL - this did make me chuckle
  • Options
    TW1R64 said:

Will you be though ?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Sean_F said:

Vote conservative - let the rich have everything and everyone else suffer.

That's why I'm campaigning for the Conservatives.
    Shooting poor people, and the extension of slavery to anyone who doesn't have a knighthood.
    lol, I love Blackadder and especially that episode.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There was a lot of stories after 2015 that Messina and his gang had made huge use of facebook and big data to target messages and campaigning. Not heard nearly so much about it this time but in 2015 most of the stories came out after the polls had closed. AIUI the Tories spent serious money on this last time out.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

***** Betting Post *****

Sporting Index have a series of "Election Specials", one of which relates to the UK Turnout Percentage where the current spread is 63.0% - 63.5%. In 2015 the turnout was 66.4% and in 2010 it was 65.1%.
    Since we are constantly being told that the Yoof are set to turn out like never before to vote big time for Corbyn, it seems reasonable to assume that turnout overall will be similar to if not in excess of that for the previous two elections. Indeed the traditional bookies appear to be of this view, with Hills, for example, offering odds of 9/4 against turnout being < 63% and 1/3 on it exceeding that percentage.
    Accordingly a BUY of Turnout % at 63.5% appears to offer real value for those prepared to undertake the additional financial exposure involved in spread-betting. It might be worth checking the national weather forecast for tomorrow before taking the plunge (no pun intended!)
    As ever DYOR.

Curious pattern that PfP. You would think that if there was to be a surprise it would be on the upside, and that the downside would be limited, which would point to the spreads being much higher than 63.5% if you can get 9/4 on less than 63%.

On another note, am told Corbyn not helpful in Workington, since despite the Labour manifesto and the sitting MPs positions supporting nuclear Corbyn not trusted on this point. Can't believe it makes as much difference as in Copeland, but...
    Paul ..... are you DC under a different guise? .... Just curious.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    edited June 2017

Brom said:

I think there will be a big bottling of voting for Corbyn tomorrow. Especially amongst women. Bit like a holiday romance. At first, she was flattered by the attention of the older man, with his rakish charm and a way with a crowd. But now he's said a few things that make her doubt him. And he's started darkly suggesting he could come back to live with her after the holiday is over.

Your efforts to explain the workings of the female psyche through the medium of rubbish soap opera scripts are heroic.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Brom said:

Hilarious!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    Suppose YouGov etc. are right and we do get a hung parliament with the Tories as the biggest party. Presumably Boris would replace Theresa and we'd be having another election in September.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

***** Betting Post *****

As ever DYOR.

Turnout will probably be down in Scotland though
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    TW1R64 said:

The layout of that post looks like a limerick.

I've just had a young man from Twickenham ...

etc etc
  • Options
    Alistair said:

***** Betting Post *****

As ever DYOR.

Turnout will probably be down in Scotland though
    IER should push reported turnout up. I think that looks like a good bet.
  • Options

Brom said:

But SeanT's rich isn't he?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Off-topic:

;)

Mike banned her.
    IF you're feeling nostalgic...

https://twitter.com/platosays
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Tories are still sinking with YouGov, now down to 302 seats:

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Blackadder: All right, "Mr S. Baldrick." Now then, "Distinguishing features".... None.

Baldrick: Hold on. I've got this big growth in the middle of my face.

Blackadder: That's your nose, Baldrick. Now, "Any history of insanity in the family?"... Tell you what. I'll cross out the "in." "Any history of sanity in the family?" ... None whatsoever. Now, "Criminal record?"

Baldrick: Absolutely not.

Blackadder: Oh, come on, Baldrick, you're going to be an MP, for God's sake! Look, I'll just put "Fraud and sexual deviancy".
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    a strange election becomes downright bizarre, with the Daily Mail advocating tactical voting for Plaid Cymru (in Arfon and Ynys Mon)!!!!

Nos 74 and 75 below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4578758/The-Mail-s-essential-tactical-voting-guide.html
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited June 2017

TW1R64 said:

etc etc
    It's a postmodern limerick
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mrs C, indeed. I have a burning hatred of emotional blackmail.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

PaulM said:

***** Betting Post *****

As ever DYOR.

Paul ..... are you DC under a different guise? .... Just curious.
    No, I used to be a regular (as PaulM) up to about 2010ish, and then when Mike switched to vanilla forums I found I couldn't post any more on my mac. I've recently got a PC, and hence have resumed posting. I was posting back in the days when we all won a packet on the London Assembly elections when one of the firms got it horribly wrong had the likes of Beckenham being 6/1 Tory wins.
  • Options

Brom said:

Your efforts to explain the workings of the female psyche through the medium of rubbish soap opera scripts are heroic.
    I wouldn't try to explain the workings of the Scottish female psyche through any medium. Being married to one, life is a constant source of wonder.....
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Pulpstar said:

Resistance is futile. :naughty:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2017
    OK, here's my bit of theorising to try to make sense of what has been going on.

The pattern we have seen isn't that unusual, it's just compressed in time. Go through the stages:

- New PM honeymoon, people project their hopes on to her but aren't paying much attention. Mega poll leads.
    - Mid-term blues, voters don't like specific policies, want to express anger, want to make a point. The polls move from the government to the opposition, although most people aren't taking that much notice about what the opposition is actually proposing or how fit they are for government
    - As the election approaches, people start paying a bit more attention.
    - In the polling booth, you get swingback, because it's no longer a risk-free option to choose the opposition, it's a genuine choice, and the downsides of the opposition's policies and leaders now come into focus as the government's did earlier.

Normally all this takes three or four years. We're seeing it in two months, partly because the calling of the election was such a surprise.

Neither the peak Theresa May honeymoon period nor the peak mid-term opposition support level (i.e., about a week ago in this crazily compressed timeframe) should be seen as the likely final result. Instead it will be somewhere in-between, a bit better for the Conservatives than the recent polls as the swingback swings in.

(Might be total garbage, of course!)
  • Options

TW1R64 said:

etc etc
    Don't make me share my Ealing limerick
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Brom said:

I think that's right.

There is definitely a way forward if both sides of Labour want it. Corbyn has surprised me and many others with his campaigning style - and he has clearly demonstrated that a positive, redistributive message can be successful (even if the Labour manifesto itself is not that redistributive). He has also taught all of us not to worry about the right wing press - something that has really held Labour back in the past. However, what is also clear is that for the Labour message to really get through, it has to be delivered by someone who is seen as strong on security and patriotism. And this is where Corbyn falls down, as do McDonnell, Abbott and others: their baggage, accumulated over many years, is undoubtedly off-putting to voters who value patriotism and prioritise security. So, a Labour leader who is strong on defence and comfortable with the Union Jack would have huge freedom to pitch the left-wing policies that so matter to Labour members. I cannot believe that this does not form the basis of a way forward for the party.

• Options

Off-topic:

;)

Mike banned her.
    IF you're feeling nostalgic...

https://twitter.com/platosays
    or just look for her being retweeted by ukip pols and delingpole...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

Off-topic:

;)

Mike banned her.
    Sadly, she wasn't the only person on here who fell down the Breibart rabbit-hole.
  • Options

TW1R64 said:

etc etc
    Please remember David, this is a family show!
  • Options
    llef said:

a strange election becomes downright bizarre, with the Daily Mail advocating tactical voting for Plaid Cymru (in Arfon and Ynys Mon)!!!!

Nos 74 and 75 below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4578758/The-Mail-s-essential-tactical-voting-guide.html

Plaid are a lot more right-wing up north aren't they? Farmers' party?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Resistance is futile. :naughty:
    Surely a collective is more of a Corbynite thing, or even a McDonnell thing, than Tory?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170

Brom said:

I wouldn't try to explain the workings of the Scottish female psyche through any medium. Being married to one, life is a constant source of wonder.....
    'There'll be a murder'
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

AndyJS said:

Not writing them off yet.

"There are no obvious reasons to presume that seats that the Lib Dems have a special interest in are going to differ particularly from the par."

There is one obvious reason, and that is Brexit.

The Lib Dems' focus on Brexit appears to have cut no ice in 640 seats. But that's not to say that it has bombed absolutely everywhere.

Cambridge, OxWAb, Twickenham, even Vauxhall are places where the Lib Dem message could work. I don't know whether it has or not: I can see the Lib Dems coming out of this with anywhere between 4 and 18 seats. But it's too early - a day and a half too early, to be precise - to predict a wipe-out with any certainty.

Why would any Remain voter support the Lib Dems now? Has that ship not sailed?
    They're offering another referendum on the final deal.
    But how many Remainers a/ think there should be endless referendums until the 'right' result is judged to the conclusive one, b/ believe this so strongly they'd switch from Lab or Con to, well, Farron, and c/ consider a party with 8 seats now likely to be in any position to deliver?

That number is surely 0.0 voters per seat. I think this is the biggest red herring ever.
    I've been perplexed at the "endless referendums" complaint. If a referendum on the deal resulted with "Yep, we'll take it," we'd be out immediately.
    It would be sort of difficult to propose a referendum to Remain after that if we're outside the EU at that point.
    You could only have a further referendum with a "Remain" option is we chose to Remain at the referendum on the deal. You can only remain if you're in, and we'd not be in.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

There was a lot of stories after 2015 that Messina and his gang had made huge use of facebook and big data to target messages and campaigning. Not heard nearly so much about it this time but in 2015 most of the stories came out after the polls had closed. AIUI the Tories spent serious money on this last time out.
    There was polling on this a couple of weeks ago. Something like 45% had seen something on Facebook from Labour, 40% from the Tories, and smaller non-trivial numbers for the other parties. I'm not sure that the question was understood though - might be just people counting times a friend has said somethig. Certainly Labour have spent more on FB this time - there are a lot of social media-savvy people in the team, which there frankly weren't in 2015 when my volunteers delivered no fewer than 8 print leafets, to increasing exasperation from volunteers and voters alike.
  • Options

Brom said:

I think that's right.

There is definitely a way forward if both sides of Labour want it. Corbyn has surprised me and many others with his campaigning style - and he has clearly demonstrated that a positive, redistributive message can be successful (even if the Labour manifesto itself is not that redistributive). He has also taught all of us not to worry about the right wing press - something that has really held Labour back in the past. However, what is also clear is that for the Labour message to really get through, it has to be delivered by someone who is seen as strong on security and patriotism. And this is where Corbyn falls down, as do McDonnell, Abbott and others: their baggage, accumulated over many years, is undoubtedly off-putting to voters who value patriotism and prioritise security. So, a Labour leader who is strong on defence and comfortable with the Union Jack would have huge freedom to pitch the left-wing policies that so matter to Labour members. I cannot believe that this does not form the basis of a way forward for the party.

Basically we need a third world war to be patriots in...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

TW1R64 said:

etc etc
    The only sound,
    for miles around....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited June 2017

Suppose YouGov etc. are right and we do get a hung parliament with the Tories as the biggest party. Presumably Boris would replace Theresa and we'd be having another election in September.

Well any less than 313 and there's a real chance Corbyn becomes PM in the short-run.

313 is magic number because there is literally zero chance of DUP/UUP allowing Corbyn to become PM.

If Corbyn could become PM in short-run he would have much bigger chance of winning another GE in Autumn as he would behave responsibly and people would get used to concept.

So vital for Con that they get 313 - then if May resigns whoever replaces her takes over as PM and goes into 2nd GE as PM.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

Off-topic:

;)

Mike banned her.
    What for?
  • Options

TW1R64 said:

etc etc
    There was a young man from Leeds
    Who swallowed a packet of seeds
    Big tufts of grass
    Shot out of his arse
    And his cock was covered in weeds

- from David Niven's 1930s MGM screen test. Or so he claimed
This discussion has been closed.