Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Breaking the chain. Can the Lib Dems defy history?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Breaking the chain. Can the Lib Dems defy history?

The opinion polls have obscured the view of what’s happening in the election rather than clarifying it.  But bettors remain convinced of the following:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited June 2017
    No. No cut-through from Farron at all. He has a gravitas deficit which makes Nuttall look statesmanlike, and hasn't worked out than you can either be leader of the LDs or a fundamentalist Christian, not both.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,457
    edited June 2017
    QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    No.

I think low teens might be possible. But my guess would be around 6-9 seats.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Chain or Toilet Flush?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Agreed.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Farron leadership was blown the moment Labour effectively outbid them with Corbyn.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    QTWIAIN
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just seen the Diane Abbott news - Oh dear

Corbyn has replaced her with someone who thought he was rather crap.

Labour party 2017

• Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Header title. Arf. Rock on.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited June 2017
    Hopefully the result will be bad enough for them that the Liberals will get rid of the SDP cancer and go back to being a genuine liberal, local alternative.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Where has their support gone? in SW England, I dont see labour ratcheting up the 20+% the LDs used to get (in 2005 Cornwall was entirely yellow) in London, the Tories are hardly rising in the polls, the SE is hardly turning red. Scotland and Wales it is the same, one of the great mysteries to me is where has the Lib Dem vote gone? I just dont feel it going to Labour in large numbers.......
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2017
    The Lib Dem vote will go up in alot of safe seats (For both parties) where people can't face voting either May or Corbyn. It will be brutalised in the Lab-Tory marginals.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Interesting, thank you Alastair.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Betfair have Cambridge as a 5/6 LD/Lab toss up.

But you can back the LDs on the exchange at 2.1

• Options
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Do you think Huppert will win ?
  • Options
    If you offered the Lib Dems 10 seats now then they would bite your hand off. They've pretty much abandoned the national campaign in order to defend their existing seats and a handful of targets.

It's risky as it's pissing off a lot of members on the ground who have worked all year round trying to build up local support only to see that work flushed down the pan when the election arrives.

I voted for Tim Farron as leader but as a national leader he simply doesn't work. Norman Lamb is a much better performer on TV and I'm hopeful that his personal appeal will save him in North Norfolk...although I doubt it
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited June 2017
    Not writing them off yet.

"There are no obvious reasons to presume that seats that the Lib Dems have a special interest in are going to differ particularly from the par."

There is one obvious reason, and that is Brexit.

The Lib Dems' focus on Brexit appears to have cut no ice in 640 seats. But that's not to say that it has bombed absolutely everywhere.

Cambridge, OxWAb, Twickenham, even Vauxhall are places where the Lib Dem message could work. I don't know whether it has or not: I can see the Lib Dems coming out of this with anywhere between 4 and 18 seats. But it's too early - a day and a half too early, to be precise - to predict a wipe-out with any certainty.
  • Options
    JennyFreemanJennyFreeman Posts: 488
    That Evening Standard article isn't based on any new poll but last week's half-term ones.

I'm betting on a substantial Tory majority. You always get a mood sense out there when things change are there simply isn't one for Corbyn.

The polls are, again, in for a very bad night.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2017
    FF43 said:

Mortimer said:

Human rights law featuring on both Sky and BBC with Sky saying it will be popular and predictably labour oppose. Corbyn on Sky endorsing human right laws enforcing the view he is soft on terrorism

It is such an obvious bear trap.

Maybe add that 5% for shy Tories after all.

My only known LD schoolmate was talking about the need for stronger action in wartime on FB just yesterday...

Yep - it will do May plenty of good electorally. But it does show yet again what a flip-flopper she is when she is desperate for a positive headline in the Daily Mail. She is a profoundly weak PM.

What I find astounding is that people think that the removal of Human Rights will only affect terrorists....
    They don't value human rights. To the extent they get in the way (as they see it) of important things like security they are a costly distraction.
    Having the state rip your life apart because they have the wrong end of the stick can be very costly too. People have gone to the scaffold for such things when we had the death penalty. Even after that was abolished, people had confessions beaten out of them and spent years in prison.
    FF43 said:

I think, why would you choose human wrongs instead?

Mrs May has form in presenting the deletion of human rights as the solution to a problem she has failed to fix.

What scares me about Mrs May is that she appears to have no spine and seems to react to whoever shouted loudest at her.

The law is sometimes the only protection we have against inept or malicious politicians.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Do you think Huppert will win ?
    I did last time but this time I'm less confident - he's been working on the soft blue vote.

The number of Labour signs and posters up in the city is double that of 2015.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,993
    Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

Barnesian said:

rkrkrk said:

Patrick said:

The Tories always assumed that Corbyn himself would be the electoral poison. This may or may not be true, but it seems he is reinventing himself as a cuddly grandpa with a jam hose. But I think Diane Abbot is indeed emerging as a truly toxic individual. The Tories should make more of it.

Tory attacks on Corbyn have been over the top and I think have been preaching to the faithful.
    Abbott on the other hand doesn't need to be attacked - she is destroying her credibility fine on her own.

Plus now journalists see it as an easy win to ask her moderately difficult questions she will crash and burn on. They don't even need to be tough questions - just ones that are specific enough.
    I think she is ill or something more serious with her memory.
    I think she's fine.

It was just a case that she hadn't read the report and tried to blag her way through the interview (as as with the LBC where she hadn't thought to find out how much her police policy would cross)

Basically she's just a waste of space... But then most MP's (of all parties) are to be fair...
    She will never be Home Secretary, even in the unlikely event of Corbyn leading a minority government. It wouldn't surprise me if we get an announcement about her health in the next 24 hours.
    Eleanor Garnier‏Verified account
    @BBCEleanorG

Replying to @bbclaurak
    The period of Diane Abbott being replaced is ‘indefinite’ the BBC understands - from @bbclaurak
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Scott_P said:
    Thats the same.survation poll as yesterday so hardly new news
  • Options

Hopefully the result will be bad enough for them that the Liberals will get rid of the SDP cancer and go back to being a genuine liberal, local alternative.

Just a thought - post election splits.

If Labour splits would the SDP go "back home" to Labour?
  • Options
    Have had an email just now from the local Tory party (I live in Wantage constituency) asking for help with GOTV tomorrow in OxWAB.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    More likely it will be :

WHINING HERE

That said if the English yellow peril are able to exercise the ruthless efficiency of their Scottish counterparts it's possible that their 8-10% of the vote will yield unexpected results. The 5-7% in Scotland may bring in 4 seats - O&S.. EdinW, .. FifeNE .. E Dumb.

South of the border a mix of W & L .. Hallam .. Leeds NW .. Norfolk N .. Cambridge .. Twikenham .. C & W .. Kingston .. Bath .. Eastbourne .. Ox W & A .. Ceredigion.

A range of 6-12 in entirely reasonable.

Worthy of note that the PM was in Cheltenham yesterday.
  • Options
    Should we expect a by election in Hackney this summer ?
  • Options

Not if Corbyn remains, but yes with centrist labour
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

George burns more bridges with the conservatives

GOWNBPM
  • Options
    Is GO signing up for Strictly this winter ?

He's finished in the Conservative party.
  • Options

Have had an email just now from the local Tory party (I live in Wantage constituency) asking for help with GOTV tomorrow in OxWAB.

I expect OxWAB will be a vastly reduced Tory majority.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    Perhaps the recent trend for referenda has conditioned the electorate to make yes/no decisions rather than crave a middle way.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Yesterday Diane was caught out by an email scam saying she felt bad lying about being more ill than she was

https://twitter.com/talkradio/status/872379844348305409
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Agree. I think I'd have heard more during the campaign if the team in OxWAB really thought NIcola was in trouble. But we'll see.
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    Have been working in Cheltenham (for the Lib Dems) for weeks. Maybe we are unduly optimistic but we think it is close. The fact that Theresa May turned up yesterday just re-enforced that view. We will find out on Friday morning.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM
    Boy George has clearly shown May was right to sack him.
  • Options

Not if Corbyn remains, but yes with centrist labour
    If Corbyn goes then there is no need for Labour to split surely? I was thinking that if he insists on staying would the moderate MPs split off?

Historically, immediate post-election defeats seem to be a good time for political parties to undergo massive internal fights and wobbles
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Where is May today?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited June 2017
    I hope Alastair is right, I'm in for a few quid under 10 Lib Dems

A hung parliament, double figure Dem seats, ukip 10% but no seats and I'm broke
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    When Nick Clegg briefly and ephemerally dominated the political scene in 2010 he had the backing of the party that had been built up by Charlie Kennedy and his courageous stance on the Iraq war. He was entitled to an audience and he took his chance even if the results were disappointing (at least for him).

After the devastation of 2015 Farron struggles to get a hearing. He is not called every week in PMQs, the involvement of Lib Dems in the committee system (outside the HoL) is minimal, you no longer have Lib Dem spokesmen on R5L as a matter of course and they simply do not seem relevant.

Don't get me wrong, Farron has been very poor but I do think comparing what he has achieved against Clegg is comparing apples and oranges. He tried to make a play for the 48% which was a bold enough move but this election has been far less about Brexit than anyone thought or it probably should have been given implementation of that is the biggest peace time challenge in some time.

As it is I agree with Alastair that it is hard to see a net gain on their current position and some losses seem inevitable. The problem of being heard or relevance is not going to be any easier for the next leader. I had hoped that they would be a sane alternative to a Labour party that has lost the plot. The Corbyn surge, whatever happens in seats, has ensured that will not happen.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Shit is going down in Iran.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yesterday Diane was caught out by an email scam saying she felt bad lying about being more ill than she was

If she is seriously ill there should be a by election.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    All the minor parties appear to be suffering in headline figures as they are running very targeted campaigns. In a snap election there is no time / money to waste ramping up to a national effort for fruition in future years. It is a time to hold what you have a gain specific targets. The same can be said of the greens and Plaid. Not sure about UKIP to be honest.
  • Options

Panic? Or most useful use of man power?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Should we expect a by election in Hackney this summer ?

I commented the other day that she did not look at all well. If it is serious then I think she needs to go and get her health sorted out. Major health issues take up a lot of time and energy. In that case she would be wise to stand down.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM
    Unlike you, Alan, to be so slow.

Everyone on here is convinced of a CONS OM, some with forecasts as high as 100+ majority. Such a view might induce complacency in CONS voters, meaning they may not actually get out and vote. They need to be shaken up to get them out to the polling station, which the CONS effort has been focused on doing these past few days, and which this seems to be doing also.

And you criticise.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Paul Waugh @paulwaugh 2 mins2 minutes ago

Labour's Barry Gardiner just told me: "I have been told that Diane [Abbott] has been diagnosed with a serious, long-term condition"

If true, all the best for her, she didn't look like she could cope for a while.
  • Options
    Sky has the killer stat that Labour should have run on. The plans have the richest income rising with the Tories and everyone else falling. Too late now.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Wantage would elect a donkey in a blue rosette, and has done in the past, so I suspect just efficient use of resources. But what do I know?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Is the realistic worst-case scenario for the Lib Dems being reduced to Orkeny & Shetland alone?

I don't know whether that is being unduly pessimistic.
  • Options
    So after a comment on the previous thread about th garden tax on Facebook, I reviewed my page and it seems that the Tories don't need to do anything. I have two labour supporters trying to disprove, but both not economically competent enough to understand. And I also noted from the local paper we now have a progressive alliance group which has been formed to support local the local libdem. I'm not sure how pleased she will be as it allowed the local Tory mp a free attack on the coalition of chaos as a response.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Where is May today?

Cheltenham make of it what you will
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    Floater said:

Corbyn has replaced her with someone who thought he was rather crap.

And in doing so, he has proven her quite correct.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    madmacs said:

Have been working in Cheltenham (for the Lib Dems) for weeks. Maybe we are unduly optimistic but we think it is close. The fact that Theresa May turned up yesterday just re-enforced that view. We will find out on Friday morning.

The LDs are always optimistic. In 2015 there was a seat near me they were really confident was going to be close, I was at the count and the number of LD activists early in the night was insane. They lost by a 20 point margin.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

Everyone on here is convinced of a CONS OM, some with forecasts as high as 100+ majority. Such a view might induce complacency in CONS voters, meaning they may not actually get out and vote. They need to be shaken up to get them out to the polling station, which the CONS effort has been focused on doing these past few days, and which this seems to be doing also.

And you criticise.
    Absolutely clear to me that this is a GOTV play by the Standard for the Tories, like the email I had from La May earlier in the week implying it was too close to call, or words to that effect.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.
    Absolutely clear to me that this is a GOTV play by the Standard for the Tories, like the email I had from La May earlier in the week implying it was too close to call, or words to that effect.
    yep
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.
    where's the criticism of the Cons ?

I will be going back to voting Con this time now that they have got rid of that poison called Osborne

of course it will make bugger all difference as Stratford on Avon is one of the safest tory seats in the country
  • Options

nunu said:

Wantage would elect a donkey in a blue rosette, and has done in the past, so I suspect just efficient use of resources. But what do I know?
    are there any other marginals near by they could be targetting instead of going defensive?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM
    Because it is the sacred duty of newspaper editors to publish Tory propaganda?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Is the realistic worst-case scenario for the Lib Dems being reduced to Orkeny & Shetland alone?

There is around a 1 or 2% chance of no seats at all. What if Orkney has been saving a vote that is specifically anti-Carmichael for the 2015 letter :E
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Even if the Conservatives win extremely well, many Tories believe that May has been found out by the campaign. There is – how to put this? – something of the shite about her. In fact, in terms of what it has exposed about May, calling the election has been the equivalent of the prime minister swimming a mile out into the Pacific and cutting off her arm. To adapt Peter Benchley’s famous opening line: the Tory big fishes are now moving silently through the night water.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/06/boris-guaranteed-to-bring-the-house-down-and-not-get-buried-rubble-marina-hyde
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.

I will be going back to voting Con this time now that they have got rid of that poison called Osborne

of course it will make bugger all difference as Stratford on Avon is one of the safest tory seats in the country
    you said that GOWNBPM. Which indeed he may never be. But he is in lockstep with the Cons with this.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh 2 mins2 minutes ago

Labour's Barry Gardiner just told me: "I have been told that Diane [Abbott] has been diagnosed with a serious, long-term condition"

If true, all the best for her, she didn't look like she could cope for a while.

I think she's useless rather than ill. Her illness is entirely contradicted by the emails seen yesterday. What on earth are Labour HQ doing pushing Abbott centre stage on the final day of campaigning?

On a side note I expect the papers today have gone big on Jezza the terrorist, tomorrow they will go big on Brexit, and no doubt we will see The Iron Lady 2 on the white cliffs splashed over The Sun's front page. Today the press give their readers a reason to not vote Corbyn, tomorrow they give them a reason to vote May.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

It's plausible - unlikely, because it means every seat that looks like a close fight will have to simultaneously break against the Lib Dems. But plausible.
    I could see 1 seat being plausible.
    I could see 18 seats being plausible.

God only knows. The Lib Dems have targetted ruthlessly this time around and are up to more members than ever - concentrating their record number of activists into a small number of seats to try to fight the tide.
    It may work. It may not. Personally, I'd stay out of the Lib Dem seat market and look to the bigger fight. Or identify a particular seat that's either held or targetted and try to use local knowledge to see if the odds are wrong.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM
    You seriously think that headlines like that are not helpful to a party desperate to get out the vote but where natural enthusiasm is perhaps not at a peak? Its politics 101. Every vote counts. Honest!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,993
    edited June 2017
    "The par swing from Lib Dems to the Conservatives therefore looks to be at least 3%."

That calculation is driven entirely by the switch of former Kippers to the Tories which has increased the Tory share. LibDem vote share is basically static compared with 2015.

The question is - in Con/LD marginals, is the UKIP vote so significant so that the switch from UKIP makes a material difference?

Not in Richmond Park. In fact the UKIP effect is in the opposite direction from the by election. UKIP didn't stand in the by election but they are standing in this election so they will take some votes off Zac. The notional national par swing from Lib Dems to the Conservatives of 3% is totally irrelevant.

I'll have a look at the UKIP vote in the other Con/LD marginals to see if they are sufficiently significant.

Arguing from the general to the particular (national share to individual seat) is dangerous.

The national share is the result of lots of individual seats. That is the direction of the causation.

I believe, from the local circumstances, that the LibDems will get at least 10 seats and wouldn't bet against it at evens.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

That Evening Standard article isn't based on any new poll but last week's half-term ones.

I'm betting on a substantial Tory majority. You always get a mood sense out there when things change are there simply isn't one for Corbyn.

The polls are, again, in for a very bad night.

And George is a very naughty boy.

• Options
    isam said:

That's the only odd thing - if she was that ill would she have been on the tube on the way? Would she have a diagnosis by now? I mean of course it could be complications with Diabetes. From everything we know it just invites questions which does seem odd.
  • Options

nunu said:

It's just possible that in some areas the Conservatives are looking ahead to the boundary changes. I live in a safe Tory seat that may become marginal in 2022 if the BC proposals are implemented, and I have received a surprising number of leaflets from them. I'd rather not say exactly where just now, but it's the only explanation I can suggest.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

are there any other marginals near by they could be targetting instead of going defensive?
    Henley / Witney / Banbury / Wantage all solid blue. OxEast solid Labour. So no.
  • Options
    @jimwaterson: Hearing Labour has a plan to fly aircraft across the country tomorrow trailing big pro-Labour adverts over key marginals. Deadly serious.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: Hearing Labour has a plan to fly aircraft across the country tomorrow trailing big pro-Labour adverts over key marginals. Deadly serious.

Wouldn't that be a violation of electoral law ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    isam said:

I hope Alastair is right, I'm in for a few quid under 10 Lib Dems

A hung parliament, double figure Dem seats, ukip 10% but no seats and I'm broke

A hung parliament would screw may as not only would my Con Maj be a bust but most of my SCon bets would surely flat line.

I have however covered LD all the way up to 29 seats so I can relax there, unless we are in the mirror universe.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.

you said that GOWNBPM. Which indeed he may never be. But he is in lockstep with the Cons with this.
    really ?

telling the London electorate that the Tories could lose is just as likely to give ammo to their opponents

Osbrown is trying to ride two horses on this one, but believe what you will
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

"The par swing from Lib Dems to the Conservatives therefore looks to be at least 3%."

That calculation is driven entirely by the switch of former Kippers to the Tories which has increased the Tory share. LibDem vote share is basically static compared with 2015.

The question is - in Con/LD marginals, is the UKIP vote so significant so that the switch from UKIP makes a material difference?

Not in Richmond Park. In fact the UKIP effect is in the opposite direction from the by election. UKIP didn't stand in the by election but they are standing in this election so they will take some votes off Zac. The notional national par swing from Lib Dems to the Conservatives of 3% is totally irrelevant.

I'll have a look at the UKIP vote in the other Con/LD marginals to see if they are sufficiently significant.

Arguing from the general to the particular (national share to individual seat) is dangerous.

The national share is the result of lots of individual seats. That is the direction of the causation.

I believe, from the local circumstances, that the LibDems will get at least 10 seats and wouldn't bet against it at evens.

Yes and they seem to be targeting effectively. In my seat Thornbury and Yate We have probably had 10 communications from conservatives and maybe three from lib dems, and about the same proportion on Facebook. The Tory plus UKIP is 7000 ahead though so I don't expect it to be regained. It seems places more like Bath, Cheltenham and Wells are being targeted.

• Options

nunu said:

It's just possible that in some areas the Conservatives are looking ahead to the boundary changes. I live in a safe Tory seat that may become marginal in 2022 if the BC proposals are implemented, and I have received a surprising number of leaflets from them. I'd rather not say exactly where just now, but it's the only explanation I can suggest.
    Interesting, thanks. I should say for betting purposes my view that Nicola will hold on is purely gut-based. I have no special insight beyond being a member of the local party. Wouldn't want punters to bet on the basis of my gut!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Can we have a view from wells and eastlieigh please
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Even if the Conservatives win extremely well, many Tories believe that May has been found out by the campaign. There is – how to put this? – something of the shite about her. In fact, in terms of what it has exposed about May, calling the election has been the equivalent of the prime minister swimming a mile out into the Pacific and cutting off her arm. To adapt Peter Benchley’s famous opening line: the Tory big fishes are now moving silently through the night water.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/06/boris-guaranteed-to-bring-the-house-down-and-not-get-buried-rubble-marina-hyde

On the other hand if she gets back in with a 50-100 majority she will have a mandate to sort out the dementia tax imbroglio without any interference from the House of Pensioners. It's probably better than a majority of 150 on a vague manifesto with a mandate for nothing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,457
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Wouldn't that be a violation of electoral law ?
    Nope. Farage did the same in Buckingham in 2010.

It helped him finish third in a two horse race.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Tim Farron @3.15 for next Leader to leave on Betfair looks excellent value. Even if the LDs do well, there is a good chance he will lose his seat and have to resign.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Utilizing light aircraft for electoral purposes ended badly for Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Body found in the Thames identified as one of the victims - dreadful news again
  • Options
    @ChrisRDavison: @Dasher777 @BRRSC @Cat_Headley @NicolaSturgeon In a private conversation .@NicolaSturgeon confessed she hates the bagpipes and loves morris dancing #FMConvos
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:

Henley / Witney / Banbury / Wantage all solid blue. OxEast solid Labour. So no.
    Slough is probably the nearest marginal
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.

really ?

telling the London electorate that the Tories could lose is just as likely to give ammo to their opponents

Lab supporter: YES! A job well done. Hurrah. [forgets to go out and vote because the hard work is over]
    Con supporter: Oh Sh*t. [votes at 07.01 am]
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Yes , I agree with Mr Meeks , there is a paradox operating . As he says the par swing on polls is around 3% from LD to Con . On that basis with UNS North Norfolk would remain Lib Dem and Farron would easily retain Westmorland . Yet to read many comments on here Lamb is toast and Farron under threat . A very small improvement in the national polls or a slightly better relative local performance by the Lib Dems in the seats they hold and UNS would see no Lib Dem losses in this election .
    I will give my personal more detailed forecast FWIW later today but the only Lib Dem seat I see as under serious threat is Leeds N W and there I am hopeful that Greg Mulholland's personal vote will help him hold on .
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,355
    Pulpstar said:

Easy Tory hold in OxWAB in my opinion.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Is May going anywhere else today apart from Cheltenham?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I think it was BJO (apols if not) who tweeted one of these Victoria Derbyshire interviews yesterday when Mitchell didn't know the min hourly wage... Mirror reported on it etc.

He'll like this one then as it's actually in the guy's brief...

https://twitter.com/VictoriaLIVE/status/872384748806709248
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Yes , I agree with Mr Meeks , there is a paradox operating . As he says the par swing on polls is around 3% from LD to Con . On that basis with UNS North Norfolk would remain Lib Dem and Farron would easily retain Westmorland . Yet to read many comments on here Lamb is toast and Farron under threat . A very small improvement in the national polls or a slightly better relative local performance by the Lib Dems in the seats they hold and UNS would see no Lib Dem losses in this election .
    I will give my personal more detailed forecast FWIW later today but the only Lib Dem seat I see as under serious threat is Leeds N W and there I am hopeful that Greg Mulholland's personal vote will help him hold on .

So you dont see C&W under threat?
    Thats contrary to everything on tge ground from both sides....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.

really ?

Lab supporter: YES! A job well done. Hurrah. [forgets to go out and vote because the hard work is over]
    I remember @ios - Some Labour supporters "forget there is an election on" in 2015. The only election I haven't bothered with in recent times was a PCC one as my postal ballot never arrived and I was in the Netherlands. Couldn't be bothered to chase it up for such a minor election.
  • Options

What's your view on OxWAB, Mark?
  • Options

Is May going anywhere else today apart from Cheltenham?

Yeah she decided Jezza was right and is going to see HMQ to resign ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    Hurrah

GOWNBPM

And you criticise.

really ?

a plan so cunning nobody else understands it

Baldrick strikes again
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Just an anecdote. Got a call yesterday evening to go to Hazel Grove or Cheadle. Suggesting they might be closer than one might think. Sadly could not my day for looking after a grandchild. Believe they are targetting those. However one would expect comfortable Conservative holds but who knows.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    timmo said:

Thats contrary to everything on tge ground from both sides....
    Quietly confident now on C and W
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

On the other hand if she gets back in with a 50-100 majority she will have a mandate to sort out the dementia tax imbroglio without any interference from the House of Pensioners. It's probably better than a majority of 150 on a vague manifesto with a mandate for nothing.
    If the Cons get back in, her first speech should be:

Thank you for having the confidence to vote for us which will mean we have a strong and stable platform for the forthcoming BREXIT negotiations. But I would also like to say that, having toured around the country during the campaign, we hear the concerns of ordinary working people. We hear that they want more investment in the health service, in education, yes [deadly serious], and the security services also.

Now that you have given us a mandate, we promise to continue to make the UK strong economically because it is only with a strong economy that we can indeed allocate resources where they are most needed; it is only with a strong economy that we can continue to support the NHS, it is only with a strong economy that we can continue to support our schools, it is only with a strong economy that we can continue to suport our public services. We promise to listen to those concerns and...blah, blah...
  • Options
    timmo said:

Thats contrary to everything on the ground from both sides....
    Thats what my (Tory) source reckons.
This discussion has been closed.