Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa’s Tories drop to their lowest level yet on the Commons

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    DavidL said:

FFS. May. Is she even human? I don't really rate Rudd but bloody hell. Talk about taking one for the team.

May never fails to find a way to underwhelm.

What are you on about?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Ignore YouGov. Look at Hanretty: http://electionforecast.co.uk/
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Theresa May made the absolutely correct decision to stay away from that momentum rally.

JohnO has spoken! :D
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606

Yorkcity said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

Fucking outrageous audience. Totally gamed by activists.

Cancel the fucking Licence Fee. Grrrr.......

:-D

Corbyn hasn't been that good really, but the 35% of the audience who support him have definitely done him a favour. The silence of the Tories in the audience speaks volumes. They're cowards - they silently sit on their hands and then they go into the polling station and vote to protect their interests.
    It's not cowardice. It's confidence in one's own views.
    It's not like Labour party supporters aren't voting for their own interests too.

Get your hypocrisy in check.
    But they aren't.

You can't say you're voting for a 'better future' and then vote for people who will crash the economy (Labour).

Economically incompetent people cannot deliver a better future especially for the most vulnerable in society that many Corbynistas speak of wanting to protect.
    You have been hanging round with the PB tories too long!

Hard Brexit is the most damaging economic policy possible.
    No, I just don't want to see that Garden Tax and have a situation where my parents go into negative equity on their mortgage.

Corbyn will likely give us a Hard Brexit anyway, given how terrible he is likely to be as a negotiator. We are f*cked either way, but we will probably be less f*cked with Hammond/Rudd as Chancellor than McDonnell.
    Put you cross in the Tory box , do not bullshit us you were going to do anything else.
    Get a grip. I voted Labour 2015, and Remain last year. Had Corbyn not been in charge, I would have voted Labour this year as well.

Do not blame me that the Labour party has put extremists in charge who plan to tax the hilt out of everyone but are not being entirely honest about it.
    You do seem to have done a u turn in your political allegiances which would have made May and Thatcher proud.Perhaps you never were labour.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,819
    edited May 2017
    Yorkcity said:

jonny83 said:

I thought Rudd did a very good job under extremely difficult circumstances both political and now just revealed personal ones as well.

Yes I agree she looks more at ease than May .
    While I think May should have agreed to go (although having been so firm against it, and Corbyn deciding at the last minute to do so, changing her mind would have been unhelpful to her that late in the day), I think Rudd handled it better than she could have.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Was Tim right about the Manchester bomber being reported five times? What does that actually mean? And if so, why wasn't anything done?

There were concerns raised about the individual on five separate occasions, including once by his own Imman. The problem is that there are probably thousands of people who are reported each year, such as SeanT's own dry cleaners. Most of the time it's nothing. And often people fall through the net (nothing suspicious in his mobile phone call patterns, nothing to see here, move on).

We're getting better at tracking those we need to monitor. And for every Manchester, there are five guys who's plans are disrupted. But this is a multi-decade effort, and we're (really) only ten years in.

Modestly more resources, targeted modestly better, combined with better infiltration, and - like with the IRA and similar movements - we'll reduce Islamic terrorism to a minor, but chronic, condition. Maybe that's not enough, but that is the direction we're heading in.
    Except this wasn't a spur of the moment, kitchen knife job. The scary part is that Abedi seems to have built himself a bomb which raises questions of why his web and credit card use were not correlated. Or even whether they were but he was not expected to strike just yet.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,957
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

Surprised Nuttall didn't bring up his role in the Apollo programme.

Fuck me do you honestly think that's still funny?!
    Yup. Even more now.

Taking the piss out of Nuttall is a joy in a truly dismal debate.

The format is terrible. I am sorry, but it should be UK parties only.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Chameleon said:

What are our final rankings? For me:

1. Corbyn
    2. Rudd
    3. Angus
    4. Nuttal
    5. Farron
    6. Welsh woman
    7. Lucas

1 Corbyn
    2 Farron
    3 Nuttall
    4 Rudd
    5 Robertson
    6 Lucas
    7 Wood
    Listening on the radio, I'd go with:

1) Rudd
    2) Farron
    3) Corbyn
    4) Robertson
    5) Lucas
    6) Nuttall
    7) Wood

Farron might be better to relax and joke about a bit more - he's better at that than rehearsing the slightly laboured prepared anecdotes
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Disgusting of Theresa May to hide from the debate at Cambridge after this happened.

Matt Dathan (@matt_dathan)

EXCL by @ByLynnDavidson: Amber Rudd's father died on Monday but it didn't stop her taking part in tonight's debate: https://t.co/ckDllvnAgZ
    May 31, 2017

Isn't it for Amber Rudd to decide what she does or doesn't want to do?
    Theresa May could have insisted that Amber Rudd be given time to grieve, but she didn't.
    What earthly business is it of yours, you nasty little man?
    It is my business, I'm a voter and it reflects poorly on cowardly Theresa May.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

kle4 said:

Has anything actually happened to make us think this won't be:
    Tory Maj
    Corbyn doing well enough to survive
    UKIP wipeout
    Lib Dem flop

?

Still seems about right, unless YouGov are the only people smart enough to see the truth that all pollsters and elections to date have missed.
    I just somehow think Yougov have done it to give the headline writers what they wanted. There is no such thing as inviolable excellence and credibility any more - we all have to earn a crust.
    You also think that the Jo Cox murder was a false flag operation, so this latest conspiracy theory of yours is hardly surprising.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,982
    1. Corbyn, 2= Lucas and Farron, 4= Robertson and Rudd, 6. Wood, 7. Nuttall. Lucas is a good performer but slipped into stereotype too often. Robertson didn't connect as much as I expected him to. Rudd was robotically effective but unappealing. Format didn't suit Nuttall at all.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Hmmmmm...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,083
    edited May 2017
    Freggles said:

Yes, Wales and a couple of other very specific seats are slightly off but its generally alot more correct.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,047
    Chameleon said:

Ehh, from my perspective he can make a better future for the next 10 or so years, by the time the debts are called in I can then be living & working in a different country.

That's an interesting post, highlighting the greed, selfishness and moral cowardice that underpins Labour - we'll take what we want because we are good people and deserve it and you are evil and we hate you all. It always has been fundamental to Labour of course (look up Emmanuel Shinwell if you don't believe me) but I don't think I've ever seen quite such a stunning lack of self-awareness of it, not even in O'Farrell's memoirs (where he admits in the 1980s he was essentially a Fascist).

Tony Blair persuaded people that actually it wasn't the case and Labour did care about real people with real lives for a while, but Labour (a) failed to actually capitalise on that by a significant rejigging of our economy and welfare system when they had the chance and (b) has forgotten that painfully learned lesson that actually most people really do see them with a clear eye and hate them not because of MSM bias but because loads of them are truly vile human beings.

I have always thought it is no coincidence that the leaders of both the Fascist and Communist parties in this country emerged from Labour. I wonder if we're about to see history repeat itself there?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,149

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

Disgusting of Theresa May to hide from the debate at Cambridge after this happened.

EXCL by @ByLynnDavidson: Amber Rudd's father died on Monday but it didn't stop her taking part in tonight's debate: https://t.co/ckDllvnAgZ
    May 31, 2017

Theresa May could have insisted that Amber Rudd be given time to grieve, but she didn't.
    I'm sure you're a swing voter.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

Your reaction definitely is :lol:
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

Nuttall pronounces the eighth letter of the alphabet haitch. That's unforgivable.

That'll be because he's Catholic. Aitch or haitch is a shibboleth in Northern Ireland.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    LucyJones said:

AndyJS said:

May 31, 2017

Maybe Amber Rudd, as a grown woman, decided for herself that she was willing and able to appear in this debate?
    The question is did she decide for herself or did her boss make the decision for her?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Freggles said:

379-195. Would work for me. Large, but not huge majority, so can be held to account, hopefully low enough to get Corbyn out.

The seat predictor on there just seems so out of whack. LDs likely to gain Bristol West, one of only two the model suggests better than 50% chance of a gain? Everything I have heard coming out of Bristol is that they love Corbyn and if they are surging anyway, it is there.

It does predict Tory tacticals not great in Scotland, preventing LD gains from SNP. I hope that is not true.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Yorkcity said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

Corbyn hasn't been that good really, but the 35% of the audience who support him have definitely done him a favour. The silence of the Tories in the audience speaks volumes. They're cowards - they silently sit on their hands and then they go into the polling station and vote to protect their interests.
    It's not like Labour party supporters aren't voting for their own interests too.

But they aren't.

You can't say you're voting for a 'better future' and then vote for people who will crash the economy (Labour).

Economically incompetent people cannot deliver a better future especially for the most vulnerable in society that many Corbynistas speak of wanting to protect.

No, I just don't want to see that Garden Tax and have a situation where my parents go into negative equity on their mortgage.

Corbyn will likely give us a Hard Brexit anyway, given how terrible he is likely to be as a negotiator. We are f*cked either way, but we will probably be less f*cked with Hammond/Rudd as Chancellor than McDonnell.
    Put you cross in the Tory box , do not bullshit us you were going to do anything else.
    Get a grip. I voted Labour 2015, and Remain last year. Had Corbyn not been in charge, I would have voted Labour this year as well.

Do not blame me that the Labour party has put extremists in charge who plan to tax the hilt out of everyone but are not being entirely honest about it.
    You do seem to have done a u turn in your political allegiances which would have made May and Thatcher proud.Perhaps you never were labour.
    Yes, I was so 'never' Labour that I voted for them the first time I could ever vote in a GE.

You act as if I've become a kind of advocate for Conservatism when really all I've done is be critical of Corbyn and his acolytes - as I have been for the last two years on the site now.

I've spent most of the last few weeks being very critical of May.

But I know that the Corbynistas have a 'with us or without us' attitude and those who don't worship Corbyn are ''bad'' people.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    A couple of months ago, PBTories were bemoaning "the lack of a strong opposition" and saying how terrible it was that we were becoming a "one-party state".

How come, now that it looks like there might be a strong opposition, all that talk has disappeared??
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,735
    It's actually an idea worth looking at, if done in the right way (which Labour won't, of course), particularly if at least some of the proceeds are used to reduce undesirable taxation elsewhere.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

Nice bit of canvassing there. Is that how you work for Labour when hitting the door-knockers?
    To the hard-left, anyone with a house is a rockfeller whose deserves to be sucked dry by the government and left homeless.
    Moronic.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Look you don't know the conversation Rudd and May had. She could have told May she wants to keep working and doing this is, if that's the case May isn't going to go against that.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

tlg86 said:

Jezza meeting his fans outside. This is feeling a little bit like 1992.

I'd settle for only a 1992-size majority, tbh.
    Remember the Labour vote share in 1992 was super-efficient. UNS would have given Major a majority of 77.

It seems unlikely it will be that efficient this time, although ICM dropped a hint they may take several seats by small margins.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,331
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

He doesn't like to brag, naturally. It's that humility that earned him a sainthood.
    The Nuttall meme keeps giving...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IanB2 said:

It's actually an idea worth looking at, if done in the right way (which Labour won't, of course), particularly if at least some of the proceeds are used to reduce undesirable taxation elsewhere.
    Land value tax.. jeez about as toxic as Chernobyl
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Danny565 said:

A couple of months ago, PBTories were bemoaning "the lack of a strong opposition" and saying how terrible it was that we were becoming a "one-party state".

How come, now that it looks like there might be a strong opposition, all that talk has disappeared??

It doesn't look like there will be a strong opposition.

As long as Corbyn remains in post...
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    valleyboy said:

Yorkcity said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

I think that's unfair. I disagree with the Apo about taxes etc. - there is a non-reckless alternative to Tory austerity economics - but I sympathise that it's hard to vote for a man like Corbyn.
  • Options
    So...

Are we getting a ComRes tonight?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

How difficult is it to understand the difference between using your own assets to spend on yourself to look after yourself when you need care (the Tory proposal) and taking your wealth to spend on others (what Labour will do)?

Well, that is what "redistribution" means, and socialist parties believe in redistribution, and Corbyn is a socialist. I'm not sure why that should be a surprise to anyone.
    Our revered national institution the NHS does that, every day.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

Nice bit of canvassing there. Is that how you work for Labour when hitting the door-knockers?
    To the hard-left, anyone with a house is a rockfeller whose deserves to be sucked dry by the government and left homeless.
    Moronic.
    No, that's you implying I was always going to vote Tory LOL.

But I do know that Corbyn supporters after seeing that and still voting for him, do so without a care in the world for other people and how his policies will impact them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I've seen it provoke a reaction here, but not many places else and no mentions IRL yet, so if it is toxic, the Tories haven't leaped on it yet.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,780
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

On a superficial level:

Amber has pretty much earned her choice of gigs in the Jun 9 reshuffle, I'd say (and probably shortened her odds in Next Leader/Next Chancellor markets).

Corbyn hasn't made mistakes... any roll he's on won't have been stopped. And that was more important tonight than on Woman's Hour.

Farron's done himself no harm (though not massively visible).. if there is a Tory wobble he may have saved/put a handful of seats in play. Similar story for Lucas. Though both laid good punches on May for bottling.

Robertson's looked statesmanlike, but irrelevant for 90pc of the electorate. (And Wood an even smaller player, though personally likeable).

Nuttall reminds me of Nick Griffin... puts on a suit and has learned a few long words, but is never going to give his party the veneer of respectability Farage seemed to manage.

I'm left struggling to work out the impact on May. She's massively weakened (within and outside her party) by the no-show, especially after the master-stroke by Corbyn in turning up. But her performance earlier defending that decision makes me think she'd have come across as the non-human in the room and performed way worse than Rudd.

Finally.. Rudd's closing statement and Damian Green in the spin-room feel like pre-prepared lines to take and rather unauthentic. I don't think the Coalition of Chaos lines will stick after 90 minutes where there were no massive screw-ups.

You're probably right that May would have lost whether present or absent. Not a great position for our Supreme Commander to have got herself into, nevertheless.

Their collective weakness - and the one area where Tim was the best of a poor field - was their humourlessness. Tim can at least raise a laugh, and that was the edge that Farage had over Nuttall.

The closing statements are always pre-prepared and difficult to pull off as if they are natural. Corbyn and Tim did well there, and Lucas's although obvious a script was delivered well.
    I thought Farron did quite well. Indeed I like him the more I see him. Oh god, I'm turning into a Lib Dem.
    Don't worry. Open a £50 bottle of red and you will recover.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    That was pretty crap, weak presenter, too many participants and an audience akin to Man Utd going to Anfield with no away fans. No real winner but Corbyn for sure has justified the faith MacLuskey showed in him. Individual musings.

Rudd - Started well away from home on the economy, missed her chance on the security.
    Corbyn - Gets his slogans across easily, most people though are no fools.
    Farron - The Liberal who isn't a Liberal, Mr State control
    Nuttall - Scouse is not good for a party leader
    Lucas - Talks drivel but very well.
    Robertson - Rides the tide of free subsidy from your neighbour with joy but not much gratitude.
    Wood - What was the point

May probably did right, she wouldn't have enjoyed the format and certainly wouldn't have dominated.
  • Options

1. Corbyn, 2= Lucas and Farron, 4= Robertson and Rudd, 6. Wood, 7. Nuttall. Lucas is a good performer but slipped into stereotype too often. Robertson didn't connect as much as I expected him to. Rudd was robotically effective but unappealing. Format didn't suit Nuttall at all.

I thought Rudd did OK. I'd much rather she was prospective PM than the execrable Theresa.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

valleyboy said:

Yorkcity said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

I think that's unfair. I disagree with the Apo about taxes etc. - there is a non-reckless alternative to Tory austerity economics - but I sympathise that it's hard to vote for a man like Corbyn.
    Exactly. Had they not had Corbyn/McDonnell at the helm, I'd be voting Labour at this GE. But I can't vote for someone whose Shadow Chancellor does not even respect democracy FFS.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

tlg86 said:

Jezza meeting his fans outside. This is feeling a little bit like 1992.

I'd settle for only a 1992-size majority, tbh.
    Remember the Labour vote share in 1992 was super-efficient. UNS would have given Major a majority of 77.

It seems unlikely it will be that efficient this time, although ICM dropped a hint they may take several seats by small margins.
    YouGov is also suggesting a highly efficient Labour vote this time around.

Whilst I doubt Labour will only be 3-4% behind in the popular vote like YG is suggesting, I do think their swing model looks plausible - the big Tory swings being concentrated most in safe Labour seats and in safe Tory seats, which thus means they essentially "waste" a lot of their extra votes.

Looking at the YouGov Seat Model, it seems to me that it's possible that even a 10% lead for the Tories (which is more likely than not, I think) would only get them a wafer-thin majority.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,101
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

Government is coming for a slice of property equity whatever. The Tories have already given that game away.
    I'd still rather that the person behind that not be a Marxist.

How difficult is it to understand the difference between using your own assets to spend on yourself to look after yourself when you need care (the Tory proposal) and taking your wealth to spend on others (what Labour will do)?

Look at @BJO - one moment howling at the unfairness of the Dementia tax because the Governnment will steal Granny's house and this evening demanding that the wealthy i.e. those with houses be taxed even more than now.

Why is the former "theft" and the latter not?

Oh, I remember now. The latter is being done by Labour and so is OK and the former by Tories and therefore evil.

It's utterly pathetic.

You have completely lost it IMO

Your hatred of Corbyn clouds everything you post now.

You talk about Morals what kind of Government starves its own people to cut the top rate of tax for its donors

What sort of Government introduces cuts that mean disabled people suffer more misery and in some commit suicide to give sweeties to those who are already well off.

I thought you had some compassion.

Me Me Me society has to end.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583

Yes, I was so 'never' Labour that I voted for them the first time I could ever vote in a GE.

You act as if I've become a kind of advocate for Conservatism when really all I've done is be critical of Corbyn and his acolytes - as I have been for the last two years on the site now.

But I know that the Corbynistas have a 'with us or without us' attitude and those who don't worship Corbyn are ''bad'' people.

If you were a secret Tory all along you did a bloody good job of hiding it. You certainly had me fooled.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

They seem to manage alright in France with a property tax, which isn't so far away. Indeed the combination of Council Tax and Business Rates is a surrogate for a land tax, of sorts.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Look you don't know the conversation Rudd and May had. She could have told May she wants to keep working and doing this is, if that's the case May isn't going to go against that.

Very true people should not make assumptions .
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

LucyJones said:

AndyJS said:

May 31, 2017

Maybe Amber Rudd, as a grown woman, decided for herself that she was willing and able to appear in this debate?
    The question is did she decide for herself or did her boss make the decision for her?
    And that is absolutely nothing to do with you or anybody other than Rudd and May. Of all the vile ways to try and score political points...talk about scraping the barrel.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,958
    ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Ehh, from my perspective he can make a better future for the next 10 or so years, by the time the debts are called in I can then be living & working in a different country.

That's an interesting post, highlighting the greed, selfishness and moral cowardice that underpins Labour - we'll take what we want because we are good people and deserve it and you are evil and we hate you all. It always has been fundamental to Labour of course (look up Emmanuel Shinwell if you don't believe me) but I don't think I've ever seen quite such a stunning lack of self-awareness of it, not even in O'Farrell's memoirs (where he admits in the 1980s he was essentially a Fascist).

Tony Blair persuaded people that actually it wasn't the case and Labour did care about real people with real lives for a while, but Labour (a) failed to actually capitalise on that by a significant rejigging of our economy and welfare system when they had the chance and (b) has forgotten that painfully learned lesson that actually most people really do see them with a clear eye and hate them not because of MSM bias but because loads of them are truly vile human beings.

I have always thought it is no coincidence that the leaders of both the Fascist and Communist parties in this country emerged from Labour. I wonder if we're about to see history repeat itself there?
    For what it is worth, I usually consider myself a fiscal conservative. However the policies of both parties over the past few decades have enriched the baby-boomers beyond belief, and as their demands on the state grow (e.g. healthcare) the burden to fund this has been put on the young, not the old. Until the balance has been fixed we can expect a further rise in radical politics.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    jonny83 said:

May had the perfect excuse to step in and relieve Rudd, so by looking compassionate and decisive. She's useless.
  • Options
    isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
    Not as funny as Nuttall, who was a member of Monty Python before he went into politics.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
    Not as funny as Nuttall, who was a member of Monty Python before he went into politics.
    Leftie humour = unfunny, as you prove time and again!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Because Corbyn is not a strong opponent, merely a very scary one?

I didn't want him as a Labour leader not just because he's useless (although he is) or dishonest (although even by political standards Traingate, IRA members, Eisen etc are pretty bad) but because he's an actual menace to our economy and our democracy. Whether he'd be as bad as Chavez I don't know but there are far too many uncomfortable parallels with Allende.
  • Options
    I think the reaction to @The_Apocalypse vote intention shows precisely why people keep their vote between themselves and the ballot box.
  • Options
    glw said:

If you were a secret Tory all along you did a bloody good job of hiding it. You certainly had me fooled.
    To a lot of Corbynistas everyone who opposes the hard-left is a 'Tory' or a 'Blairite.'
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

AndyJS said:

May 31, 2017

You are a piece of shit. Trust me on this.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They seem to manage alright in France with a property tax, which isn't so far away. Indeed the combination of Council Tax and Business Rates is a surrogate for a land tax, of sorts.
    Yeah but council tax is non existent or very low,.. at the end of the day you can only tax people so much until they rebel./.. Corbyn's policies will lead to serious trouble.

ONE THING WE WILL LEARN FROM THIS ELECTION IS IGNORE THE POLLS> END OF>

Whats going on on the ground matters and reports thereof are far more important, if accuirately described.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

Government is coming for a slice of property equity whatever. The Tories have already given that game away.

Look at @BJO - one moment howling at the unfairness of the Dementia tax because the Governnment will steal Granny's house and this evening demanding that the wealthy i.e. those with houses be taxed even more than now.

Oh, I remember now. The latter is being done by Labour and so is OK and the former by Tories and therefore evil.

It's utterly pathetic.

You talk about Morals what kind of Government starves its own people to cut the top rate of tax for its donors
    That's not quite true, is it? Isn't the argument that it encourages talented higher earners to stay in Britain and contribute to our economy?

If the talent goes, so do the jobs.

Not saying I agree with that - but cut the hyperbole. There is a reason that isnt 'because Monsters'.
  • Options
    isam said:

To be fair, proving that is much easier than proving Fermat's Last Theorem like Paul Nuttall did.
  • Options
    Miss Aco

That story is someone from the Tories claiming it would lead to those fees! Ignore!
  • Options
    isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
    What's leftie about poking fun at Nuttall? I've nothing against the guy, but a gentle meme like that is by most meme standards amusing.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

It's utterly pathetic.

What sort of Government introduces cuts that mean disabled people suffer more misery and in some commit suicide to give sweeties to those who are already well off.

This. I used to enjoy Cyclefree's posts but I agree the tenor has changed.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Chameleon said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

For what it is worth, I usually consider myself a fiscal conservative. However the policies of both parties over the past few decades have enriched the baby-boomers beyond belief, and as their demands on the state grow (e.g. healthcare) the burden to fund this has been put on the young, not the old. Until the balance has been fixed we can expect a further rise in radical politics.
    FWIW, the much derided Tory plan on social care did exactly this. It required rich pensioners to pay for their social care.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

jonny83 said:

May had the perfect excuse to step in and relieve Rudd, so by looking compassionate and decisive. She's useless.
    She IS useless. We agree. But if you were living in the UK, would you vote for Jezza?

No. Because you're not a Marxist, Islamist-loving scumbag

We have no choice, even as we despair of the choice. We have to vote for the hapless May
    Maybe she'll be replaced in a few years?
  • Options

isam said:

To be fair, proving that is much easier than proving Fermat's Last Theorem like Paul Nuttall did.
    That is quite sharp! Fair play
  • Options
    We surely are getting a post debate poll aren't we? I want to know how much people liked being told evil Tories cut things.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Miss Aco

That story is someone from the Tories claiming it would lead to those fees! Ignore!

The trouble is I really don't trust McDonnell. I'm very ill at ease to find out what he'd do.

If Labour had normal political figures in the main jobs, it'd be one thing. I'd take Ed Balls as Shadow Chancellor anyday over McMao.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
    What's leftie about poking fun at Nuttall? I've nothing against the guy, but a gentle meme like that is by most meme standards amusing.
    Agree to disagree. Doesn't make me laugh but each to their own
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

I think the reaction to @The_Apocalypse vote intention shows precisely why people keep their vote between themselves and the ballot box.

Agreed. Ms Apocalypse doesn’t have to justify to anyone how she is voting.
  • Options

Cyan said:

Chameleon said:

What are our final rankings? For me:

1. Corbyn
    2. Rudd
    3. Angus
    4. Nuttal
    5. Farron
    6. Welsh woman
    7. Lucas

1 Corbyn
    2 Farron
    3 Nuttall
    4 Rudd
    5 Robertson
    6 Lucas
    7 Wood
    Listening on the radio, I'd go with:

1) Rudd
    2) Farron
    3) Corbyn
    4) Robertson
    5) Lucas
    6) Nuttall
    7) Wood

Farron might be better to relax and joke about a bit more - he's better at that than rehearsing the slightly laboured prepared anecdotes
    Relaxing and joking about is his natural style, and at conference he is brilliant at it. The leadership has him caught between being himself and playing the more serious statesman, a style which doesn't suit him at all.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,958
    edited May 2017
    Chameleon said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Also just to add to your 'vile human being' bit, perhaps you need to consider what made people take up these views in the first place. While I agree that there are people of my generation (16-24) that are vile in their opinions towards those that have benefited so much from Government policies, if there wasn't so much unfairness in the system then they likely wouldn't have these views.
  • Options
    The BBC has to do something about their audience selection for QT audiences. There was no way that lot were representative of the British public. Typically, they vociferously cheered unilateral disarmament, when the vast majority of voters support the nuclear deterrent; even Corbyn has had to backtrack on his personal beliefs on that point because of the strength of the public opinion. It never ceases to amaze me how on QT we have endless interventions from students and public sector employees, all decrying the wicked Tories. "As a student," "as a nurse", "as a doctor", "as a civil servant", "as a local government officer." Where are the retailers, the estate agents, the petrol station attendants, the cleaners, the advertising copywriters, the shop assistants, the entrepreneurs, the car sales staff, the mechanics? No less than 83 per cent of the British workforce are in the private sector. Judging by Question Time audience contributions, you would think that figure was about 10 per cent.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Completely off topic but relevant to MI5 after Manchester. The uk intelligence services infiltrated the IRA many years ago, some of the infiltrators rose to the top and we are where we are. People are amazed at the queen meeting Martin mcguiness. The long term solution is the same with other terrorism, there are casualtys along the way but at least the security services no longer recruit from just Oxbridge but from a wide range of backgrounds
  • Options
    Paul Nuttall and his Kipper fans know all about great comedy.

After all, Nuttall wrote Ronnie Barker's scripts, while still a schoolboy.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Miss Aco

The trouble is I really don't trust McDonnell. I'm very ill at ease to find out what he'd do.

If Labour had normal political figures in the main jobs, it'd be one thing. I'd take Ed Balls as Shadow Chancellor anyday over McMao.
    He and Corbyn have so much baggage. I know plenty of people love Corbyn, but there are too many instances of people, even MPs, saying they don't like him, don't think he is up to it, that he at the very least offputs plenty of people too. It is interesting to think how someone without that baggage might put the same message, and how they'd be received.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Calling it a garden tax is f'ing stupid as a garden doesn't have planning permission to build on so would be low value.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
    Well it isn't' laugh out loud funny - I'm judging it by most memes, which are not funny at all.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,338
    @leomckinstry - in previous debates I've always thought the BBC audience was fairly balanced (as opposed to the usual QT audience!). But something has obviously gone wrong tonight. That said, it probably didn't hurt the Tories too much.
  • Options

The BBC has to do something about their audience selection for QT audiences. There was no way that lot were representative of the British public. Typically, they vociferously cheered unilateral disarmament, when the vast majority of voters support the nuclear deterrent; even Corbyn has had to backtrack on his personal beliefs on that point because of the strength of the public opinion. It never ceases to amaze me how on QT we have endless interventions from students and public sector employees, all decrying the wicked Tories. "As a student," "as a nurse", "as a doctor", "as a civil servant", "as a local government officer." Where are the retailers, the estate agents, the petrol station attendants, the cleaners, the advertising copywriters, the shop assistants, the entrepreneurs, the car sales staff, the mechanics? No less than 83 per cent of the British workforce are in the private sector. Judging by Question Time audience contributions, you would think that figure was about 10 per cent.

They stay at home with the family and vote Tory
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

jonny83 said:

She IS useless. We agree. But if you were living in the UK, would you vote for Jezza?

No. Because you're not a Marxist, Islamist-loving scumbag

We have no choice, even as we despair of the choice. We have to vote for the hapless May
    Maybe she'll be replaced in a few years?
    I hope so. With luck in the first weeks after the election. Rudd would be much better. TMay freezes in the headlights. Not great for Brexit.
    I like Rudd, because she was married to the great AA Gill.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,101

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

It's utterly pathetic.

That's not quite true, is it? Isn't the argument that it encourages talented higher earners to stay in Britain and contribute to our economy?

If the talent goes, so do the jobs.

Not saying I agree with that - but cut the hyperbole. There is a reason that isnt 'because Monsters'.
    When did you last attend a foodbank. I find the suffering of people. nearly all of whom are in work, distressing
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Relaxing and joking about is his natural style, and at conference he is brilliant at it. The leadership has him caught between being himself and playing the more serious statesman, a style which doesn't suit him at all.

Yes, there's something in that. He needs to work on getting the Charles Kennedy balance - able to go on HIGNFY but also with the gravitas to speak on (as was) the Iraq War and be listened to.

I so wish Kennedy hadn't drunk himself to oblivion and death. Biggest wasted talent of our time. (Pun unintentional but...)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Calling it a garden tax is f'ing stupid as a garden doesn't have planning permission to build on so would be low value.

The names taxes get given are rarely sensible. Heck, the word tax gets applied to things that aren't taxes!
  • Options
    Must admit it would be a rather fun to see how Corbyn fares in front of a hostile Tory/UKIP crowd.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

So out of curiosity, why do you shout your support for Corbyn, who would entrench that unfairness by making all benefits including pensions universal, rather than May who is proposing that people at least partially support themselves from their own resources?

Incidentally, Corbyn will not make university tuition fees free. It seems unlikely that universities - who are not actually Government bodies, please remember, but private charities - would accept the level of funding he can offer. They would instead charge private fees as they do to overseas students.

The supreme irony of Corbynism will be that his policies on education based on class warfare and free at the point of use would hammer our state education system and our university to pieces and leave only the very rich able to afford education at any level. Is that what you want? Really? Because if so I see no reason to modify my views on you.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

It's utterly pathetic.

This. I used to enjoy Cyclefree's posts but I agree the tenor has changed.
    +1. I am not sure what went wrong; the early period works were so thoughtful.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

The names taxes get given are rarely sensible. Heck, the word tax gets applied to things that aren't taxes!
    Exactly.
  • Options
    Oh Jesus the utterly shite Yougov on.
    That isn't bad for the Stories though.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

So...

Are we getting a ComRes tonight?

As they selected the so called balanced audience for tonight's debate, can anyone trust their read on labour support?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Exactly.
    Poll tax, bedroom tax, dementia tax, garden tax :o
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Jonathan said:

I AM funny though!
    It was funny the first 3000 times. Now, not so much.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Must admit it would be a rather fun to see how Corbyn fares in front of a hostile Tory/UKIP crowd.

Yes indeed. I get the impression he can usually handle an aggressive response, he's expecting it almost, it's when he gets irritated that he loses his cool.
  • Options
    Cyan

He's a scouser.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    One thing we can all agree on. It'll be a bit embarrassing for Ed Miliband if Corbyn gets a higher share of the vote than he did.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Poll tax seemed more sensible than community charge .
  • Options
    Why would this be outrageous? This is what we are up against, the kind of attitude that makes terrorism more likely

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/870000212621664257
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Alistair said:

Land value tax explicitly ignores whether land has buildings on it or pp for buildings on it. The term is indeed silly, but so is calling things taxes which are not taxes at all eg bedroom, dementia etc.
  • Options
    Rudd was prepped well for that.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Dadge said:

SeanT said:

But they aren't.

It's utterly pathetic.

That's a bit paranoid.

The government isn't starving the public. We don't live in Stalin's Russia.
  • Options
    Probably been commented on already, but the YouGov Seat Predictor (for whatever it's worth) predicts Amber Rudd to lose her seat.
This discussion has been closed.