Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa’s Tories drop to their lowest level yet on the Commons

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa’s Tories drop to their lowest level yet on the Commons seats spread markets

There’s been a big shake-up in the betting following the publication by the Times of YouGov’s new election model that suggests that Team Theresa could be net losers of seats a week tomorrow and not have a majority.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    First!
  • Options
    Thanet South decision tomorrow, surely?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited May 2017
    If Amber performs poorly tonight, no way can she replace Phil Hammond as Chancellor.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

If Amber blows it, no way can she replace Phil Hammond as Chancellor.

What qualification does she have to be chancellor anyway ?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    fpt;
    Pong said:

I like the idea of what YouGov have tried to do. I'm yet to be convinced by the execution of it.

Me too.

This (yougov model) has great potential.

Having a massive polling panel with detailed demographic / socioeconomic info on your panel - then figuring out which voters are changing their minds (and where they live) is the future of FPTP election polling.

By 2027, they'll be predicting the result to within a dozen or so seats.

The data will be used by campaigns to increasingly focus their campaign effort on smaller and smaller numbers of crucial swing voters they've personally identified.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    I'm selling Lib/Dem seats, surely they won't get more than 12, if they stay on 9 I'll get 3.5 times stake.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

She was aristocracy co-ordinator on the film Four Weddings and a Funeral

She's worked in high finance, for such esteemed institutions like J.P. Morgan.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

Ben Page has just liked the below tweet of mine. Pollsters don't normally diss their rivals in public like this

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/869952276198195200

Is there any criticism of the poll that rises above the level of "spent the day laughing at yet another stupid poll by YouGov" and so on?

It would be interesting to know why people are so convinced the model is wrong, and where they think the errors have been made.
    There's been a lot of discussion about their seat projections on here.
    But has any of it been based on anything more substantial than a gut feeling that a particular seat isn't likely to do what the model indicates?

The criticism of the YouGov model is the fact that it is a 'model'.

Nuf said.
    Not really enough said, because I can't tell from that whether you're implying that the criticism is justified or unjustified.
  • Options
    Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

I like the idea of what YouGov have tried to do. I'm yet to be convinced by the execution of it.

Me too.

Having a massive polling panel with detailed demographic / socioeconomic info on your panel - then figuring out which voters are changing their minds (and where they live) is the future of FPTP election polling.

By 2027, they'll be predicting the result to within a dozen or so seats...
    I think that fairly unlikely.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

The data will be used by campaigns to increasingly focus their campaign effort on smaller and smaller numbers of crucial swing voters they've personally identified.
    The political parties are in principle capable of doing this themselves, far better than YouGov could. The LibDems for example had a socioeconomic classification (I think it came from Experian) which first divided everyone in 63 groups. Then you could combine that with age, sex and previous voting intentions, then add in the latest canvass data (which would be a million contacts even for the Libdems) calculate your transfer probabilities and off you go.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Survey monkey for the Sun 44 38 6 closing in from 8 lead to 6

FFS. Ever closer. We're looking at a Hung Parliament, or a very modest Tory maj.

AGAINST JEREMY BLOODY CORBYN

Calm down.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

If Amber performs poorly tonight, no way can she replace Phil Hammond as Chancellor.

Surely with Jezza about to become Prime Minster he will appoint Diane Abbott as Chancellor in a reshuffle ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I LIKE SHOUTING

9:50pm on June 8th is going to be fun on here, isn't it? :D
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    Vox pop from Delyn/Wrexham on ITV Wales very much pro Theresa May by the workers and bosses to get UK out of Europe.

If that is typical of North Wales labour could lose Delyn and Wrexham

So different from opinion on here. Really good for TM
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    So today we have had leads of 15 10 6 and 3.
    Solid
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Solid

3? :o

Oh, the YouGov tracker... yeah.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

SeanT said:

FFS. Ever closer. We're looking at a Hung Parliament, or a very modest Tory maj.

Calm down.
    Did you see the "thinking about Brexit" clip?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    http://uk.kantar.com/ge2017/2017/political-archetypes-battle-it-out/

Which personality type do you want as your leader. This article suggests that Corbyn has a split personality?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Solid

3? :o

Oh, the YouGov tracker... yeah.
    You govs model tracker thingy
  • Options
    Survey monkey poll was 19,000 participants over the last week.
  • Options

Solid

There's no way the range should be that wide unless at least some of the polls have systematic errors.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

Was it Asimov who wrote a short story about how the polling had become so accurate, they just selected the winner, no need to vote.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2017

Vox pop from Delyn/Wrexham on ITV Wales very much pro Theresa May by the workers and bosses to get UK out of Europe.

As was the BBC's vox pop in Wolverhampton yesterday. But you can't go on it as they mainly only feature voices that support the tone of the piece.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

I LIKE SHOUTING

9:50pm on June 8th is going to be fun on here, isn't it? :D
    It can't come quick enough.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nigelb said:

Said in mockery, but JP is probably the best of the global banks
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I love the Sun's caption to their photo of Theresa May looking crazed, frightened and possibly suicidal

"Theresa May is cruising to victory with an increased majority, the poll suggests"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3692220/theresa-mays-poll-lead-tightens-to-six-points-but-she-remains-on-course-to-win-election-sun-survey-reveals/

Perhaps they are using the term "cruising" in its gay culture sense, i.e. wandering around drunk looking to be royally buggered.

Now that make me laugh.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    It was like that time Ed Milliband malfunctioned. She knew she had to say Brexit in her answer.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    fpt
    Alistair said:

Pong said:

Me too.

This has great potential.

It will crash and burn this time but should be able to be massively refined for next
    two issues here.

1) UNS is too simplistic to make a prediction so someone has to come up with a better mechanism. personally I think that working out which groups are switching between parties is better but could be proven wrong.

2) the model is all well and good but if you can't get a representative sample (and some of the pollsters are definately getting it wrong but don't ask me who) then even a perfect model falls foul of the SISO rule.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

If May doesn't pull off a landslide she won't be able to anyway. He's the one figure currently able to command significant support from all wings of the party and therefore her only credible rival for the leadership.

On a different note, I wonder if these polls could be counterproductive for Labour? Suppose they still end up with around 150 seats - the shock will be much greater because they thought they had by their own exertions converted large chunks of the electorate to their cause. Remember, Miliband's performance wasn't actually that bad and in several key ways was better than Brown's - but because Labour were anticipating a return to power he was forced out and we got Corbyn as a sort of mass PTSD episode.

Could the same happen again? Could they ditch Corbyn for Macdonnell, who is after all holder of one of their safest seats?

In which case, welcome Leader of the Opposition Farron in 2022.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

There was no mockery in my post, I admire JP.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330

As was the BBC's vox pop in Wolverhampton yesterday. But you can't go on it as they mainly only feature voices that support the tone of the piece.
    Well it was from a furniture factory producing 8,000 settees a week and the workforce seemed unanimous in wanting out of Europe
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    jayfdee said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

Was it Asimov who wrote a short story about how the polling had become so accurate, they just selected the winner, no need to vote.
    Just checked, yes, it was called Franchise.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I love the Sun's caption to their photo of Theresa May looking crazed, frightened and possibly suicidal

"Theresa May is cruising to victory with an increased majority, the poll suggests"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3692220/theresa-mays-poll-lead-tightens-to-six-points-but-she-remains-on-course-to-win-election-sun-survey-reveals/

Perhaps they are using the term "cruising" in its gay culture sense, i.e. wandering around drunk looking to be royally buggered.

She does look ill doesn't she? I think unlike in 2015 there is a whiff of fear about the Tories now, the odd dissenting quote from candidates on the campaign trail etc. Perhaps their internal polling is showing the same trend as the polls we are seeing.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

Franchise.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    May is receiving such bad advice. She should be at the debate to take back a positive narrative. As it is we are a week away from Corbyn as PM and she is unwilling to stand up for her convictions.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    jayfdee said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

I think they found the one voter who always represented the population and that voter was the only one to vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Sigh...
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/ MILES more realistic than Yougov I reckon. Though Hanretty is not ultraconfident on Wales.

Compare electionforecast with YouGov for Richmond Park, Twickenham, and Kingston.

electionforecast has Tory probability of winning at 100%, 93% and 98% respectively.

YouGov has Tossup, likely LibDem and leans LibDem respectively which is line with the bookies.

I wouldn't say that electionforecast is MILES more realistic than YouGov.

Looking at several dozen random examples in YouGov I think their estimated (wide) spreads cover the likely outcome very well unlike election forecast which is too black and white (and often plain wrong).

I think Twickenham is (sadly) quite a likely LibDem gain:

1. They have every council seat in the constituency, and won them at the height of coalition unpopularity
    2. Heathrow is a much bigger issue in Twickenham than in Richmond
    3. It is in the heart of Remainia
    4. Tania Mathias has struggled to make an impact as the MP
    5. The Labour vote is more than twice the UKIP one
    6. The Green vote in 2015 was significantly more than the Conservative majority
    7. Twickenham is more... how to put this... David Cameron country, than Theresa May country

I'd reckon Twickenham is the only odds on gain for the LibDems (from the Conservatives) in the country.
  • Options
    (fpt - typical i write two long posts and a new thread gets opened during their writing)

The question that's been running through my head over the last couple of days is

'where has the increased labour vote actually come from?'

This is especially puzzling as we know from the locals that UKIP have crumbled towards the tories. if you look at the previous GE where has the 38% come from (the peak labour vote share)

previous GE (c38 l31 u13 ld8 s5 g4)
    yougov on the 24/25th (c43 l38 u4 ld10 s5 g1)

the most obvious switch is the ukip=>con, for this I'm going to give all 9% to the Tories but that gives the tories 47% which is somewhere near where they were at the beginning of the campaign.

when it comes to the labour vote I can't work it out if they have really be squeezing the left side of the tories and the greens that much? is it realistic to expect that 75% of green voters are going to vote Labour? have the SNP really gone nowhere?

if you take the ICM on 26-29th of (c45 l33 u5 ld8 s4 g3) it's reasonable to expect that the tories have lost 1-2 % to labour during the campaign, that the LDs have remained static, the SNP have lost 1% jointly to labour and the tories and that the greens are being squeezed by 1% by labour.

I know that there is going to be some polling error in all of this and that the narrative is all labour strength and tory weakness but I'm beginning to doubt most of the large labour surge is real.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I think that's a bit unfair. It's probably just a photo of her trying too hard not to be a glum-bucket.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Just googled.
    An 'interesting' financial career.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

Surely with Jezza about to become Prime Minster he will appoint Diane Abbott as Chancellor in a reshuffle ?
    Presumably, if Jeremy actually becomes PM (can't believe i am typing this) he will suddenly find that all those talented/experienced Labour MPs on the backbenches, Yvette Cooper et al, will be willing to work in his Cabinet?

So maybe there is a chance we would be spared Ms Abbott as Home Sec, or her tenure would be very short.
    It's Jezza for moi ....

Nothing to do with the Labour Shoe Tax .... honest guv ....
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

SeanT said:

She does look ill doesn't she? I think unlike in 2015 there is a whiff of fear about the Tories now, the odd dissenting quote from candidates on the campaign trail etc. Perhaps their internal polling is showing the same trend as the polls we are seeing.
    Did you see BBC 6 News? She looked scared, and ill.
  • Options
    Re the thinking about Brexit and mockery thereof.
    It's a well planned response to the question because it is what the 52% want to hear. She is now on a 100% Brexit, competence, security, economy drive. Everything else is irrelevant to her, she is just focused on getting the Brexiteers and Tory base out and riding the purple cushion.
  • Options
    chloe said:

May is receiving such bad advice. She should be at the debate to take back a positive narrative. As it is we are a week away from Corbyn as PM and she is unwilling to stand up for her convictions.

Nah, she's being advised by Nick Timothy, the brains and Titan behind the dementia tax.

Nick Timothy putting the tit in Titan.
  • Options
    chloe said:

It'd be spun as another U-turn, and that she was bounced into it in a panic.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Gives her a majority of around 40 seats, what's wrong with that? should last the full 5 years and if she retires after 2020 the new leader, perhaps Boris, would gain a popularity boost going into 2020.
    I expect this is the high tide mark for Labour, when people go to the polling stations they will think 'Corbyn? .....no I just can't do it'
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

SeanT said:

The Jim Messina tweet today would point to the opposite.

I think May is just shocked she's going to have to put some effort in and isn't a very good campaigner.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

SeanT said:

Gives her a majority of around 40 seats, what's wrong with that? should last the full 5 years and if she retires after 2020 the new leader, perhaps Boris, would gain a popularity boost going into 2020.
    I expect this is the high tide mark for Labour, when people go to the polling stations they will think 'Corbyn? .....no I just can't do it'
    Sorry I mean 2022
  • Options

chloe said:

Nah, she's being advised by Nick Timothy, the brains and Titan behind the dementia tax.

Nick Timothy putting the tit in Titan.
    titters.... :p
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Vox Pops are not representative of peoples views . They are people selected to give the views of what the program producers want to present . The producers do not tell you if they had to interview 5 people to get those views or 50 or 500 .
  • Options
    RobD said:

chloe said:

It'd be spun as another U-turn, and that she was bounced into it in a panic.
    Besides it's now too late for people to be swapping en masse, she's all about GOTV now
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    When did they stop reporting polls without 3% MOE? I say that because a 6% poll lead could indicate a tie.

For me so long the Tories poll above 40% they are very safe. If you start seeing leading 3s only then does it get vaguely interesting.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    How is Theresa May's diabetes coping with the stress of the election?
  • Options

How is Theresa May's diabetes coping with the stress of the election?

No limbs are falling off, if that is what you mean?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    RobD said:

And how many members does Momentum have?

Seriously - we've just had a bank holiday, it's half term - trying to do polls at the moment is just a waste of time and money (although perhaps less of a waste of time than worrying about them - or shouting at them!)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sigh...

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/ MILES more realistic than Yougov I reckon. Though Hanretty is not ultraconfident on Wales.

Compare electionforecast with YouGov for Richmond Park, Twickenham, and Kingston.

electionforecast has Tory probability of winning at 100%, 93% and 98% respectively.

YouGov has Tossup, likely LibDem and leans LibDem respectively which is line with the bookies.

I wouldn't say that electionforecast is MILES more realistic than YouGov.

Looking at several dozen random examples in YouGov I think their estimated (wide) spreads cover the likely outcome very well unlike election forecast which is too black and white (and often plain wrong).

1. They have every council seat in the constituency, and won them at the height of coalition unpopularity
    7. Twickenham is more... how to put this... David Cameron country, than Theresa May country

I'd reckon Twickenham is the only odds on gain for the LibDems (from the Conservatives) in the country.
    Betfair's (rather thin) market seems to agree with you.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

And how many members does Momentum have?

Seriously - we've just had a bank holiday, it's half term - trying to do polls at the moment is just a waste of time and money (although perhaps less of a waste of time than worrying about them - or shouting at them!)
    Good news for the GOTV operation.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2017
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

May looked ghastlier than usual. Which isn't easy.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

When did they stop reporting polls without 3% MOE? I say that because a 6% poll lead could indicate a tie.

For me so long the Tories poll above 40% they are very safe. If you start seeing leading 3s only then does it get vaguely interesting.

It's interesting how in this election MOE movements are considered 'news' - it's like MOE has been forgotten about. Before, any movement under 3 points had caveats about reading too much into it.

Part of the reason why we started paying attention to Labour's surge was because the first poll that showed it, showed Labour increasing their VI by 5% - above MOE.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The YouGov poll was so huge that the margin of error owing to random sampling effects would be only a fraction of a percentage point. But that doesn't eliminate the margin of error owing to not knowing how accurate the model is.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

The YouGov poll was so huge that the margin of error owing to random sampling effects would be only a fraction of a percentage point. But that doesn't eliminate the margin of error owing to not knowing how accurate the model is.
    that's not true. if the sample is unrepresentative then the MOE would be greater
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    DeClare said:

Gives her a majority of around 40 seats, what's wrong with that? should last the full 5 years and if she retires after 2020 the new leader, perhaps Boris, would gain a popularity boost going into 2020

Anyone betting on Boris to be PM is on a greater hiding to nothing than Diane Abbott's maths tutor.

Just ask yourself one simple question - can he ever make the final two?

And the answer is clearly 'no.' That is why Gove deserted him and stood himself and that is why Boris ultimately withdrew.

The only way he can do it is if the rules change so the members vote on the candidates directly. This has been experimented with by one party but the results may politely be called unfortunate.

Anyway, broadband is buggering me about so I am off for a swim. May be back Friday.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.
    I can't actually watch Theresa May any more. It's too painful. It is, as you said, Gordon Brown all over again, right down to the eerie smiles.

In a way this is worse. Brown went down to expected defeat against a clever opponent. TMay is close to throwing away a huge landslide victory against the worst Opposition leader since Ceolwulf the Prolapsed got literally zero votes in 549AD.
    Sean, I'm one of Theresa May's most trenchant critics.

Yes, she's crap, but she's up against Corbyn, ignore the VI and the Tories/May are on course for victory.

She might have blown a 25% lead, but it is likely to be a 10-15% lead for the Blues which indicates a three figure majority.

The Tories don't fanny about, if she continues to be crap, she'll be deposed before she knows it.

The Tories toppled Thatcher when she had a 100 seat majority
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    Are Survey Monkey members of the BPC?

WillS
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Worth remembering from a betting perspective that the news is not and indeed cannot report on campaigns being a disaster short of saying it and allowing the accused to say no not at all, they are not permitted to analyse what went wrong before the act. It's the microcosm of sites like this that you find the self fulfilling prophecy meme. Most people out there might see one report saying x or y had a bad day in the campaign trail.
    Lord of the Flies style frenzy is easy to fall into inside the bubble
    Every time someone sees their one bad day for may report they think yeah but she was very pm like over Manchester etc etc.
    Most minds were made up 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

fpt

Alistair said:

Pong said:

Me too.

This has great potential.

It will crash and burn this time but should be able to be massively refined for next
    two issues here.

1) UNS is too simplistic to make a prediction so someone has to come up with a better mechanism. personally I think that working out which groups are switching between parties is better but could be proven wrong.

2) the model is all well and good but if you can't get a representative sample (and some of the pollsters are definately getting it wrong but don't ask me who) then even a perfect model falls foul of the SISO rule.
    Sounds better in the original all Latin
    Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Jonathan said:

It's interesting how in this election MOE movements are considered 'news' - it's like MOE has been forgotten about. Before, any movement under 3 points had caveats about reading too much into it.

Part of the reason why we started paying attention to Labour's surge was because the first poll that showed it, showed Labour increasing their VI by 5% - above MOE.
    OTOH in 2010 "just MOE" was a very unreliable comfort blanket for the tories, because even though the drops in the lead were MOE they were all to the downside.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

WillS

I don't think they are.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

That event injected so much poison into the Tory party and hence British politics overall we are still feeling the repercussions today.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.
    I can't actually watch Theresa May any more. It's too painful. It is, as you said, Gordon Brown all over again, right down to the eerie smiles.

In a way this is worse. Brown went down to expected defeat against a clever opponent. TMay is close to throwing away a huge landslide victory against the worst Opposition leader since Ceolwulf the Prolapsed got literally zero votes in 549AD.

Yes, she's crap, but she's up against Corbyn, ignore the VI and the Tories/May are on course for victory.

She might have blown a 25% lead, but it is likely to be a 10-15% lead for the Blues which indicates a three figure majority.

The Tories don't fanny about, if she continues to be crap, she'll be deposed before she knows it.

I see May as a stop gap leader, she wont stand in 2022 (if she wins).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    It has been really entertaining this afternoon watching our resident Tories rubbishing the polls they don't like.

One thing is looking clear - the next PM ill be a Tory; May wont lead them into 2022 (or whenever).
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Just googled.
    Interesting personal life as well. Ex wife of the late AA Gill and unlocked the potential of Kwasi Kwarteng MP
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,829
    Barnesian said:

jayfdee said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

I think they found the one voter who always represented the population and that voter was the only one to vote.
    Wasn't that also the plot of the 1980s sit-com "The Happy Apple" where Leslie Ash played the secretary of an advertising agency? She was "Miss Average" and so they just asked her for ideas instead of doing proper market research.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

I'm selling Lib/Dem seats, surely they won't get more than 12, if they stay on 9 I'll get 3.5 times stake.

I think they'll get less than 12, but the risk/reward is terribly asymmetric. You have effectively sold a call option on LibDem seats for only a small premium.
  • Options

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.
    For you viewing delight @TheScreamingEagles

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/869908350019829760
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited May 2017
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.

Except Corbyn is clearly not that bad an opposition leader, he is having a far better campaign than Michael Foot, William Hague and Ed Miliband had for example (and almost certainly better than IDS would have had) and is better able to motivate his base than they all did, yet despite all that May still is polling 42% or over in every poll principally because of UKIP voters moving to the Tories
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    NO
    jeremy corbyn will not get 38% of the voting public next thursday. ain't gonna happen . as usual labour is been overstated and with differential turnout and the young not being arsed to vote TM as PM with an increased majority and mandate for brexit is a dead cert. we pb tories are being emotional yoyos
  • Options

It has been really entertaining this afternoon watching our resident Tories rubbishing the polls they don't like.

One thing is looking clear - the next PM ill be a Tory; May wont lead them into 2022 (or whenever).

I don't think it was just the Tories rubbishing them :p
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

that's not true. if the sample is unrepresentative then the MOE would be greater
    I'm including that under inaccuracies of the model. I agree that if there's a persistent, systematic bias in the sampling it would affect the result. But the statistical variation between repeated samples would still be tiny.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Syphilis is the best STD you can catch.
  • Options

That event injected so much poison into the Tory party and hence British politics overall we are still feeling the repercussions today.
    But Theresa May doesn't have the record or sway on the Tory party that Lady Thatcher had.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    jayfdee said:

jayfdee said:

Pong said:

fpt;

Pong said:

Me too.

Just checked, yes, it was called Franchise.
    I thought it was slightlyt different. That a single voter was chosen by a computer as being the perfect representative of the population as a whole and he would basically make all the decisions presented to him over his 4 year term.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but in this case there's Brexit to consider. I can't see the Tories getting rid of her (assuming victory next week) before Brexit is done and dusted.... unless polling shows Brexit is suddenly very unpopular (and I mean 65%+ unpopular) and then we might see a 'let's not Brexit' PM appear. Personally I think that's very unlikely (in a YouGov probability way!).
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Just googled.
    Interesting personal life as well. Ex wife of the late AA Gill and unlocked the potential of Kwasi Kwarteng MP
    That's of minimal relevance.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

She looked like she'd missed one of her insulin jabs, or neglected to eat immediately after one.

WillS
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think we are somewhat guilty of thinking the parties are campaigning for our votes as politically aware and active. They aren't, they are farming the kipper and Brexiteers, the disenfranchised etc.
    Different methods for them, different soundbites.
    You voted for Brexit, I'm busy planning for Brexit. Simples.
    Witness her applause on Paxman once she got onto it. That's what they want, that's what she is delivering. It's unappealing to politicos but politicos won't give her a landslide. Think Brexiteer Kipper and review.
  • Options
    Chris said:

spudgfsh said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

I'm including that under inaccuracies of the model. I agree that if there's a persistent, systematic bias in the sampling it would affect the result. But the statistical variation between repeated samples would still be tiny.
    but if there's, say, a shy tory effect it'll make no difference how many people you sample if you don't get it right (or at all)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    SeanT said:

The argument from his Labour opponents was he was supposed to be a vote loser. I for one believed it. If you accepted that premise their actions were justified. In the light of the evidence much less so. Not sure what I'd do if I were one of them. It's a funny old world.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    rcs1000 said:

Lib Dem signs are all over Twickenham. I don't know if they will win but they certainly seem to be making a big effort.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Jonathan said:

OTOH in 2010 "just MOE" was a very unreliable comfort blanket for the tories, because even though the drops in the lead were MOE they were all to the downside.
    I think the lead has declined for sure, I just don't think anyone should get worked up over movements within 1-2 points.

In 2010 the Conservatives were already 'in trouble' by January/February, some months out from the GE.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.

That should have come with a health warning for nervous Tories.

I think we've been used to suave performers like Cameron and Blair.

But that's very poor from Mrs May.

Like a pound shop Gordon Brown

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTE6cTBrGcA
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266

SeanT said:

The argument from his Labour opponents was he was supposed to be a vote loser. I for one believed it. If you accepted that premise their actions were justified. In the light of the evidence much less so. Not sure what I'd do if I were one of them. It's a funny old world.
    Nobody has voted yet (well except for postals).
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.

Except Corbyn is clearly not that bad an opposition leader, he is having a far better campaign than Michael Foot, William Hague and Ed Miliband had for example (and almost certainly better than IDS would have had) and is better able to motivate his base than they all did, yet despite all that May still is polling 42% or over in every poll principally because of UKIP voters moving to the Tories
    Have you seen the newspapers each day? They talk about Corbyn and terrorists, Nuclear unilateralism, unaffordable spending, mass immigration etc etc. I don't think that equates to a good campaign.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

Oh god. Just watched the Brexit TMay clip from today.

That's a panicked, tired, flailing politician, who has lost control of the narrative, and is also way out of her depth.

Jesus Christ: the Tories are genuinely worried.

I actually feel sorry for her. And for the country.

May combines all of the faults of Eden, Heath and Major with none of their saving graces. How has she reached such heights ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Kantar TNS numbers now out and they have the Tories leading with 25-34 year olds, 45-54 year olds, 55-64 year olds and the over 65s. Labour leads with 18-24s and 35-44s.

10% of 2015 Labour voters are now voting Tory and 6% of 2015 Tory voters are now voting Labour. 27% of 2015 LDs are voting Tory and 22% Labour. 46% of 2015 UKIP voters are voting Tory and 15% Labour

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/sites/tns-bmrb/files/KPUK - final tables - 31.5.2017.pdf
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.

Did she say "up and round the country"?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

SeanT said:

Calm down.
    Nope.

That should have come with a health warning for nervous Tories.

I think we've been used to suave performers like Cameron and Blair.

But that's very poor from Mrs May.

Like a pound shop Gordon Brown

Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTE6cTBrGcA
    Is she talking to you TSE, or to Bob the kipper who wants Brexit delivered and lower immigration?
    View it through that prism.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

WillS

I wouldn't discount the poll but since you asked: http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/officers-members/
This discussion has been closed.