Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With postal voting just starting CON maintains emphatic lead

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Floater said:

Freggles said:

Corbyn on 35 even in an outlier with temporary effects is still a damning indictment

lets not forget that people said polls would close when tories had a huge lead and people might be nervous of a huge majority.

People will be more than nervous of what Corbyn would mean as pm.
    Do not worry ! CORBYN WILL NOT BE PM. You can safely vote Labour !
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

AndyJS said:

YouGov poll with changes since the midweek poll

Con 44 (-1) Lab 35 (+3) LD 9 (+1) UKIP 3 (-3)

Does anyone really believe Labour are on 35%?
    Yes
    NOC 12/1 WH
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Amidst all the panic, I note the spreads still have a Tory majority of 140ish.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017

AndyJS said:

Yes
    I don't think they are. We'll find out in 19 days.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    Labour on 35%.

The irony would be Corbyn loses the election on the share of the vote Blair got in 2005.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Will Mrs May become the shortest serving Tory leader since IDS?

QTWTAIN
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Why was this thread posted with the tag 'Coalition'? :trollface:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited May 2017
    Sandpit said:

LOL! As PB goes mad, Betfair's not moved an inch.

Betfair need not be right, but naturally PB is overreacting.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    For those who think Labour could actually do well out of this care policy I suggest looking at betting on London seats. I've just taken the 7/2 that Ladbrokes are offering on Labour holding Ealing Central and Acton.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I believe the Canadian for hello is...You alright eh....Onto lesson #2, knowing my loonies from my toonies...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    I note my fellow PB Tories are panicking like the French Army in 1940.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Ishmael_Z said:

alex. said:

Everyone seems (I think) to agree that the Tory policy (whether or not it is a long term solution) is a large improvement on the current position for those unfortunate enough to have to secure long term care in a home (can defer the costs until death, and an increase in the floor from £23k to £100k).

From some angles it is, however worse for those needing care in the home. But how much does care in the home cost? It must, surely, be significantly lower than moving to a care home (which was quoted at £30k a year). And can be reduced further if relatives (those who lose out on a bit of their inheritance) help out. Even if it was, say, £10k a year, the dementia sufferer has to live quite a long time before the inheritance of those with large houses in the South are going to be massively affected.

Some figures here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39957879

£16.70 per hour for home care it says so £6000 per year for one hour a day. I have no idea how many hours/day is usual.
    People with less than 50k assets only pay £41pw even if they have 20hours per week
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

This one will end at 45 - 37.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

chestnut said:

OUT said:

chestnut said:

Tories 9 ahead in the eye of the storm.

The calm bit of the storm.
    They're going to walk this with a little bit of a tweak on care thresholds.

In front by 9 and 12 when people are thinking their inheritances are going to be confiscated???

This really could be brutal if they get the tweak right.
    Wouldn't tweaking a policy after the manifestos are published look even worse? Clarifying is one thing, but tweaking?
    "We've listened, you're in charge, I'll do what you say....."

That's what makes May popular with the ex-Lab North/Midlands.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Let's not overreact to one poll. Let's see whether this is the start of a trend. I'm personally hoping that a trend of bad polls will have them re-thinking this policy.

What alternative do you propose?
    National Care Service. I'm with Labour, on this one.
    Putting up general taxation?
    I think we'd have to, so yes. I'd prefer to pay more tax as a young person in order to fund social care, rather than leave the burden to individual families.
    Good luck selling that...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Andrew said:

Amidst all the panic, I note the spreads still have a Tory majority of 140ish.

Pah, 140, not a chance. 50-70, chancge of 100 if they restore their previous advantage.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    This thread is going to be a keeper...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SeanT said:

OK DOUBTERS.

Give me some respect. I said these policies were a dreadful example of big fucking hairy bollocks from the beginning. Right from the start. Right from the get-go.

I was right. Sadly, sadly. I was right.

HOW TO HALVE YOUR LEAD IN 48 HOURS, A SEMINAR BY THERESA MAY

I think the policy has some merit, but it is abundantly clear (foxhunting vote, immigration target, dementia tax, WFA for Scots) that May and her team may claim to understand ordinary voters but they sure as hell have no idea how to communicate with them. I expect some Northern Tory MP will be wheeled out over the next few days to show they "understand ordinary people".

I'm starting to think May really can fuck this up, which will make her by far the worse Tory leader in living memory.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: Tory high command says tighter polls will actually help because it raises the risk of Corbyn as PM, an argument they've failed to land yet

It's coming.
  • Options

TMay: You had one job.

And she's doing it...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited May 2017
    Survation
    Tories 46%
    Labour 34%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 3% (All post manifesto)
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Survation/status/866035811719954433
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

LOL! As PB goes mad, Betfair's not moved an inch.

Betfair need not be right, but naturally PB is overreacting.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    SeanT said:

Can someone Baxter this, please. I'm too depressed by the fact I was completely right.

Posted downthread:

Con 346, Lab 228, LD 6
    Majority 42
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

AndyJS said:

PB Tories 3 days ago Does anyone really believe Labour are on 30%?

PB Tories 3 weeks ago Does anyone really believe Labour are on 25%
    LOL!

Relax. Jeremy Corbyn will not never be PM!

One thing we all now know is that Teresa May is truly crap. Hapless and hopeless sums her up. The fact that she is going to lead us into negotiations with the EU is scary. F*cking scary!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Yes
    I don't think they are. I think it's a major polling error. We'll find out in 19 days.
    With UKIP unwinding it could be some of their voter could be returning back to Labour.

I pointed out several times everyone who assumed the bulk of 2015 Kippers were going to vote Tory in 2017 were making the mistake many Labour supports made between 2010 and 2015, that about 50% of 2010 Lib Dems would vote Labour in 2015.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

surbiton said:

Let me whisper this one: Has anyone baxtered this yet ?

TMICIPM
    Given the Tory manifesto I think we can go back to saying EICIPM.

Or posting nine smiling Gordon Browns
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951
    viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

You are a working class woman in a marginal northern constituency. You were born on a council estate, but were the first person in your family to go to uni. You bought your first house - a little two up two down - in 1983 which, incidentally, was the first time you voted Tory. You worked hard in the 80s and 90s and moved up the property ladder.

You are now approaching retirement and apart from your pension pot, your main asset is your home, which you love and cherish and you raised your two children in it. You hope to pass it on to them. It is worth 450,000. Your sister in law's uncle was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago so you have personal experience of how horrific dementia is.

How does the Dementia Tax play out for you?

If your hypothetical person bought a two-up-two-down[1] in 1983 then it would have been for about £20K. Your hypothetical person is sitting on a tax-free unearned profit in excess of £400,000. A £450K house in the North East[2] would be detached, around 4-5 bedrooms with a garden surrounding all four sides and a drive.

I posted *actual* house prices earlier today. They are here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-house-price-index-summary-march-2017/uk-house-price-index-summary-march-2017

[1] At the time it would have been nearer two-up-three-or-four-down, with a front room, living room, kitchen and converted bathroom downstairs, with a small yard out the back. But that's me being unbearably pedantic.
    [2] Before @YorkCity kicks in, York and Harrogate are in Yorkshire GOR

You're looking at this from the wrong angle. I didn't ask how it plays out for _you_, I asked how it would look if you were that person, with the 450k home as your only major asset.

The answer probably isn't "well, I'm sitting on a 400k unearned asset, whoop-de-doo for me" the answer is probably "I grew up with nothing, worked hard all my life, now that Theresa May has come along and said she's going to take the house I raised my kids in, the house I wanted to leave to them, to pay for my old age, even though I've paid my taxes my entire life".

This is TERRIBLE for the Conservatives. And terrible with the kind of voters they should be winning over - older, lower-middle-class, small c conservative types.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: Tory high command says tighter polls will actually help because it raises the risk of Corbyn as PM, an argument they've failed to land yet

It's coming.
    They better fucking hurry up...Otherwise we will never get rid of corbyn and his disgusting band of merry men.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Oh gawd not you as well..........the hysteria's contagious here. We've gone from a landslide to a 100 seat majority to a 70 seat majority to a 40 seat majority to a hung parliamnet to May been toppled, all in the space of four days.

WTF????? Are there no sane people here??
  • Options

Let's not overreact to one poll. Let's see whether this is the start of a trend. I'm personally hoping that a trend of bad polls will have them re-thinking this policy.

I think we'd have to, so yes. I'd prefer to pay more tax as a young person in order to fund social care, rather than leave the burden to individual families.
    And what would you bet that the reaction to such a proposal would be just as toxic and negative? It's a classic 'people want x but won't pay for it' situation. That's presumably why Labour for one say it could be paid a number of ways, without committing to their preferred way, for fear of people disagreeing. The LDs can be more realistic since no one but a handful will read it anyway.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    tlg86 said:

For those who think Labour could actually do well out of this care policy I suggest looking at betting on London seats. I've just taken the 7/2 that Ladbrokes are offering on Labour holding Ealing Central and Acton.

7/2 on a Labour hold in Westminster North with Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    Survation Headline Voting Intention
    CON 46%; LAB 34%; LD 8%; UKIP 3%; Others 8%
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Mortimer said:

Kudos to Corbo's core vote campaigning skills.

Higher vote share but dreadfully inefficient. Going to a bad night for the PLP - lose lots of seats but keep the leadership.

This is nothing to do with Corbyn. It's all to do with how rubbish Theresa and her team are at politics. Had dinner tonight with a couple of donors who have gone on strike, both had been asked for six figure sums but declined. Theresa May is simultaneously anti-business and in favour of higher taxes.

It is toxic and I hope by the end of the weekend the manifesto is "clarified".

The removal of the WFA from England and not Scotland was real amateur hour politics. Remove it from everyone and force Nicola to raise taxes in Scotland to pay for it.

I don't think we will lose but gone are the days of 120+ majorities, we're looking at a 50-60 majority, which against the worst Labour front bench ever put forwards is pitiful.

I can't remember a worse Tory manifesto than this one. I said it last night and I'll say it again, Theresa May has achieved what Tony and Gordon couldn't. She has shifted the UK's political centre to the left, quite significantly as well. We should not be playing in Ed Miliband's lawn, we should be forcing Labour onto our turf. She's just really, really awful at this stuff it seems.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

This one will end at 45 - 37.
    I think that Lab 45 is a bit optimistic!!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Jason said:

Oh gawd not you as well..........the hysteria's contagious here. We've gone from a landslide to a 100 seat majority to a 70 seat majority to a 40 seat majority to a hung parliamnet to May been toppled, all in the space of four days.

TSE is trolling.

The broiling mood keeps the threads moving. Consistency is for the uninteresting!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Twelve point lead restored!

YG = OUTLIER!!! :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

TMay: You had one job.

And she's doing it...
    Sabotaging Brexit?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: YouGov/Sunday Times
    On the changes to care funding 35% said they supported them, 40% they opposed them

That doesn't suggest the labour surge is due solely to social care. The Tories have also only slipped by one point. I think this is polarisation to a two party fight. The Tory share is relatively firm but showing a little sign of buckling, it's all about labour support on the up. They are running out of votes to squeeze though......
    the lib dem and green vote is being clearly squeezed. Farron is toast. we are back to two party politics . TMIPM and what she will achieve on a june 8 is keeping corbyn as LOTO and will prevent a break away centre party which is the biggest threat to tory rule. the ones who should be worried tonight are lib dems , they are finished . time for them to pack up and go home . how will they justify their presence in HoL if they have sub 5 MPs?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Yes
    I don't think they are. I think it's a major polling error. We'll find out in 19 days.
    With UKIP unwinding it could be some of their voter could be returning back to Labour.

I pointed out several times everyone who assumed the bulk of 2015 Kippers were going to vote Tory in 2017 were making the mistake many Labour supports made between 2010 and 2015, that about 50% of 2010 Lib Dems would vote Labour in 2015.
    I think we have to get used to the idea that 35% in a two party shootout (UK-wide) is a poor result. 45/35 is a big victory for May.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

It's coming.
    They better fucking hurry up...Otherwise we will never get rid of corbyn and his disgusting band of merry men.
    Maybe that's the plan....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    chrisb said:

kyf_100 said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

kle4 said:

chestnut said:

The problem with this care proposal is that it is being perceived as inheritance tax.

Got it in one.
    Nah, the problem with it is thatit is a shit policy. I rather pay higher National Insurance then this.
    Being shit never prevented people liking a policy. The Triple Lock is a shit policy, people are still crying about it potentially being taken away.
    They only have to elect Labour to keep it.
    I agree with the removal of the Triple Lock

I could be persuaded that WFA is too generous.

To limit the latter to only 10% of Pensioners in receipt of pension credit guaranteed is a bit harsh though.

The Pound Shop Thatcher House Snatcher policy is just WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    Why should my parents be subsidised by people on average incomes?
    why should people from humbler backgrounds, whose only asset is likely to be their home, see it whittled away to nothing while their more feckless peers get given care for free?
    Firstly because it's not whittled away to nothing, there's a £100k threshold, and secondly if they are that humble, the excess value of their home over that threshold is not likely to be that great.
    More fundamentally:

The taxpayer can't afford to pay for everyone

And society has a duty to look after those less fortunate
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Re the trio of Thersea May, Nick Timothy, and Fiona Hill - Cohen has already written about the delusions of May's advisors in regard to Brexit. Apparently according to one PBer on heard the FT reported that it's Timothy that was responsible for this social care policy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Freggles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

They stay at home, and buy dementia care.

Are you feeling alright?

You choose to buy chocolate. You don't choose to get dementia. To compare them is ridiculous.
    Paying the local authority for services and calling it a contribution to care costs comes out of your pocket just like Council Tax.is it a tax? No. Is the distinction meaningful? Not really, unless you're talking about whether we should pool the risk of social care costs relating to illness.
    Why do you think paying for home care equates to paying the local authority for services? LAs do not, AIUI, run home-care businesses on the side. You contract for home care just as you contract to have your car repaired (and you don't choose to have your car in need of repair), and you get more or less of a contribution to the cost depending on who gets elected.

But thanks for illuminating why the "dementia tax" slur sticks.
  • Options
    The majority of the public dislike the term 'dementia tax'

However, despite opposition to the proposals, the public are not convinced that the moniker some have placed on the policy – the “Dementia Tax” – is fair; 37% think it is fair to call the policy the “Dementia Tax”, compared to 39% who think it’s unfair.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ShippersUnbound: One of Corbyn's closest aides tells Labour candidates to tell voters about the manifesto not the leader. Leaked recording in Sunday Times
  • Options

AndyJS said:

It's a fair point - Labour are up closer to mid 30 than low 30 with everyone now I believe. Either its a polling disaster, or it is real, they will outdo poor Ed M.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

Sandpit said:

Remember that the working class Midlands focus group actually liked the care policy.

There is a difference between liking something and caring enough about something that you change your vote on the back of a reaction one way or another to something.

An example is rail nationalisation. A lot of people want it, but typically transport only scores 3% or so when people are asked to name their top three issues.

It's pensioners who are the people who are really going to care enough to change their vote if the perception sticks that the Conservatives are really having a go at pensioners. Probably also those approaching the ever receding state pension age (eg. in the case of WASPI women)

Ah, but how many of those who really care are in a position to make a difference to the election?

Your average home in the Midlands is worth substantially less than £200,000. Most of that value would be preserved. In the North and Wales, it's less than that.

The people most likely to be affected by this policy are, surprise surprise, wealthy homeowners and their heirs in Southern England, who (a) mostly inhabit safe seats and (b) can only rescue themselves from this policy by voting for a socialist, whom they must suspect would tax the crap out of them in the end, whatever he says to get their vote.

The care policy could have a price, but it's liable to be modest, and to be concentrated disproportionately in those constituencies where it will do the least amount of harm. The policy may simply have the effect of making the Conservatives' voter distribution more efficient, rather than depriving them of any meaningful number of MPs.
    In London, where houses are worth a lot, it will help the LibDems.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    PB Tories advised not to click on the Tory lead tab :o :

(only based on the YouGov/Survation tonight)

https://goo.gl/7cTbAf
  • Options
    I wonder if its a cumulative effect:

Remove triple lock
    Care threshold
    WFA removal
    WFA retained for Scottish millionaires

People are probably going to accept the odd policy they don't like but if you keep chipping away then suddenly you might get a tipping point for a lot of people.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Floater said:

Freggles said:

Corbyn on 35 even in an outlier with temporary effects is still a damning indictment

lets not forget that people said polls would close when tories had a huge lead and people might be nervous of a huge majority.

People will be more than nervous of what Corbyn would mean as pm.
    Do not worry ! CORBYN WILL NOT BE PM. You can safely vote Labour !
    I agree Roll Up Roll up

Corbyn great as underdog as proved by both leadership elections
  • Options
    For those with BT Sport, Fernando Alonso is about to do his first qualifying run at Indianapolis (on ESPN).
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

I don't know. I was hoping you or @BlackRook could tell me. I'm going to have to Google RodCrosby, aren't I?... :(
    I think that Labour could end up doing that well given a sufficiently tight squeeze on the also-ran parties, but the Tories won't do that badly. With Ukip where they are, it implies either that nearly as many 2015 Kippers are voting for Labour as for the Conservatives; or that the Ukip-Tory conversation rate remains very solid, but that a significant number (by which I mean, perhaps as many as a million) 2015 Tories are now planning on voting for Labour.

No significant proportion of the 38% who weren't willing to abandon Cameron for an unthreatening figure like Ed Miliband are now going to think that it's a marvellous idea to put Jeremy Corbyn in 10 Downing St. It make absolutely no sense.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kle4 said:

And what would you bet that the reaction to such a proposal would be just as toxic and negative? It's a classic 'people want x but won't pay for it' situation. That's presumably why Labour for one say it could be paid a number of ways, without committing to their preferred way, for fear of people disagreeing. The LDs can be more realistic since no one but a handful will read it anyway.
    I think (sadly) I agree with you.

The money required to run the National Care Service is just too daunting.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm talking about what I'd prefer, not necessarily what the public would like. In reality, both policies would be unpopular, although the idea of a National Care Service may well be less unpopular than the May policy.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,792
    ARE THE POLLS CORRECT?

In discussions last week the veracity of the polls were questioned, it being difficult to reconcile Corbyn-hatred with them. Does PB now think that this is not the case and that the polls are now correct?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

From 20 minutes ago:

"This is still consistent with a Tory share of 45-46% pending more polling. And that is a healthy majority unless all the Others collapse and Labour get 40%."
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    All the fun of the drunk men in a pub without going to an actual pub.
    Marvellous.
  • Options
    Charles said:

chrisb said:

kyf_100 said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:

kle4 said:

chestnut said:

The problem with this care proposal is that it is being perceived as inheritance tax.

Got it in one.
    Nah, the problem with it is thatit is a shit policy. I rather pay higher National Insurance then this.
    Being shit never prevented people liking a policy. The Triple Lock is a shit policy, people are still crying about it potentially being taken away.
    They only have to elect Labour to keep it.
    I agree with the removal of the Triple Lock

I could be persuaded that WFA is too generous.

To limit the latter to only 10% of Pensioners in receipt of pension credit guaranteed is a bit harsh though.

The Pound Shop Thatcher House Snatcher policy is just WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    Why should my parents be subsidised by people on average incomes?
    why should people from humbler backgrounds, whose only asset is likely to be their home, see it whittled away to nothing while their more feckless peers get given care for free?
    Firstly because it's not whittled away to nothing, there's a £100k threshold, and secondly if they are that humble, the excess value of their home over that threshold is not likely to be that great.
    More fundamentally:

The taxpayer can't afford to pay for everyone

And society has a duty to look after those less fortunate
    This has to be how it is defended. It's a tough line to sell on such an emotional policy, and there will be heartbreaking instances of the policy being outright dickish to some people, but in the overall, is that principle sound? Is it sound if tweaked a little? Is it the best immediate option we have, outside of 'National Care Service, paid for by TBD'?
  • Options

chestnut said:

From 20 minutes ago:

"This is still consistent with a Tory share of 45-46% pending more polling. And that is a healthy majority unless all the Others collapse and Labour get 40%."
    46% is better than Thatcher or Blair ever got
  • Options
    Jason said:

Another one who doesn't know his political history.

The Tory party has only two moods.

Complacency and Panic.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

SeanT said:

TMay needs to come out TOMORROW and say OK this policy is utter shit, we've changed our minds.

Heaven help us. This ridiculous, stupid, clueless, myopic little woman is leading the Brexit negotiations.

Sean, grow a pair. This Tory panic is getting fucking tedious. It happens every election at about three weeks out because the media are desperate for a story so they want the favourite to stumble.
    Indeed, but we're not heading for a 100+ majority any more. 50+ is what we're looking at, this and the other moves have been Con -> Lab which means getting those direct swings required to make the Labour -> UKIP -> Con strategy work is going to be very tough.

I've come to the conclusion that Theresa May is a rubbish politician. Which isn't exactly great news for the country heading into what is the most important 2-3 year post-war period.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,945
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Higher vote share but dreadfully inefficient. Going to a bad night for the PLP - lose lots of seats but keep the leadership.

This is nothing to do with Corbyn. It's all to do with how rubbish Theresa and her team are at politics. Had dinner tonight with a couple of donors who have gone on strike, both had been asked for six figure sums but declined. Theresa May is simultaneously anti-business and in favour of higher taxes.

The removal of the WFA from England and not Scotland was real amateur hour politics. Remove it from everyone and force Nicola to raise taxes in Scotland to pay for it.

I don't think we will lose but gone are the days of 120+ majorities, we're looking at a 50-60 majority, which against the worst Labour front bench ever put forwards is pitiful.

I can't remember a worse Tory manifesto than this one. I said it last night and I'll say it again, Theresa May has achieved what Tony and Gordon couldn't. She has shifted the UK's political centre to the left, quite significantly as well. We should not be playing in Ed Miliband's lawn, we should be forcing Labour onto our turf. She's just really, really awful at this stuff it seems.
    Some of us want electoral strategies that rely on more than winning LD voters over and getting less than 40% of the vote.

Mrs May is making Conservatism popular again.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I wouldn't describe AndyJS as a PB Tory but Labour have run a surprisingly good campaign.

Though perhaps we shouldn't be surprised as Corbyn ran two surprisingly good leadership campaigns.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

It's a fair point - Labour are up closer to mid 30 than low 30 with everyone now I believe. Either its a polling disaster, or it is real, they will outdo poor Ed M.
    ELBOW now up to eight polls with fieldwork end-dates 15th to 21st:

Con 46.25 (-0.95)
    Lab 33.00 (+3.00)
    LD 7.75 (-1.25)
    UKIP 4.63 (-0.67)

Lead 13.25 (-3.95)

Told you it would be interesting :)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Fickle buggers, those voters.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    the problem for Labour now is their vote is hopelessly inefficient and they are stacking up votes where they don't need them . it's why milibland lost and it's why TM will still get a big majority . plus there are three weeks now to hammer home the Corbyn threat to the nation
  • Options
    It's nice to see one of these typical pb explosions of wobble bottomitis. A rare night of fun for the Labour team too...... OGH been able to change the header too add to the fun.
  • Options

chestnut said:

From 20 minutes ago:

Others being SNP? Can't see that happening.
  • Options

Hey, maybe you haven’t been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!
  • Options
    The Tory numbers on 10/10 of decideds are 48% on Survation. 9/10+ is 49%.
  • Options

Remove triple lock
    Care threshold
    WFA removal

People are probably going to accept the odd policy they don't like but if you keep chipping away then suddenly you might get a tipping point for a lot of people.

It was the Scottish one that was the real balls up.

If only Mrs May had been aware how badly the prospect on sending English taxpayers' money to Scotland played in England in 2015.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm talking about what I'd prefer, not necessarily what the public would like. In reality, both policies would be unpopular, although the idea of a National Care Service may well be less unpopular than the May policy.
    I'm sure it will be more popular, and long term it might be the best option. But I don't see how it is an either/or really. The Tories are offering a solution now, flawed as it might be. But people will still moan about the cost.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

Exactly. May will win, but she will win in such a way as to give the hard left hope for 2022, and even if they don't win she has shifted the overton window to the left and left those of us of a socially liberal but economically dry position with no home to go to. Previously I was going to hold my nose and vote for May, now I think I'll be abstaining.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Can someone Baxter this, please. I'm too depressed by the fact I was completely right.

Posted downthread:

Con 346, Lab 228, LD 6
    Majority 42
    Ignore Baxter, the Tories are getting their biggest swing in the North, the Midlands, Wales and Scotland it is London and the South where Corbyn is up but he cannot win many new seats there
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: One of Corbyn's closest aides tells Labour candidates to tell voters about the manifesto not the leader. Leaked recording in Sunday Times

Because thats what Corbynism is all about the Many not the Few

The Policies not the Man

When will PB Tories get it when Lab hits 40% *(I dont think they will BTW)

Listen to a TM speach Me My Me Me

Listen to JC you us you the many us you
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/mshelicat/status/866038488369704960

Tory wobble confirmed!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    Still predicting a majority around 90-110. Nothing that has occurred tonight has made me change my mind on that.

It's the mid campaign wobble. Tories still maintain a substantial lead (even on yougov figures) in the danger zone of manifesto launch season.

I might be wrong, but nothing I'm seeing gives me concern yet. Maybe if we see the lead down to 4-5% in a week's time, but otherwise, I'm not shifting my forecast.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2017
    Labour up and Conservative down is the trend... The Big Mo is with Jezza!

I think next week we'll see Lab maybe getting within 5% of Con in one or two polls... And then it'll gradually move back to TM in the final stages.

She'll get over the line with a small (30-40) seat majority but Labour will be well and truly in the game for 2022 and TM will be damaged by the relative failure of a small majority and an election that many will view a waste of time.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Doesn't seem to have shifted the odds at William Hill.

Looks like 35% is Labour's maximum, but we also know the Tories can go a lot higher than 44-46%.

FFS, calm down, despondent Tories. The Tories have ridden this out. Let's see how Labour's polling figures stand up when their manifesto's lunatic spending pledges translate into reality, and the Mail and the Sun nail Corbyn and McDonnell over th IRA.

Corbyn will not get 35% on June 8th.

• Options
    @murali_s It's terrifying how utterly dire Britain's political class are. Both May and Corbyn are walking disasters in regard to the Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

TMay needs to come out TOMORROW and say OK this policy is utter shit, we've changed our minds.

Heaven help us. This ridiculous, stupid, clueless, myopic little woman is leading the Brexit negotiations.

Sean, grow a pair. This Tory panic is getting fucking tedious. It happens every election at about three weeks out because the media are desperate for a story so they want the favourite to stumble.
    Indeed, but we're not heading for a 100+ majority any more. 50+ is what we're looking at
    How awful.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    tlg86 said:

For those with BT Sport, Fernando Alonso is about to do his first qualifying run at Indianapolis (on ESPN).

Chance of poll tomorrow.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Right my sober head is judging this thusly. The Tory vote is pretty solid, it's dropped from the high 40s but doesn't show any sign of pitching too far below 45. It's labour that are gaining but not because voters are deserting May. This is simple coalescing around the anti Tory option, the only anti Tory option. It was always going to happen. 20 point leads? If you're anti Tory that is terrifying and it drives you to Labour. The only way this gets any closer is of Tory voters start to peel off.
    Trident should knock labour back a point or two, let's see what the Tories have in store for the coming fortnight.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I am officially declaring Saturday the 20th of May the Day the Polls Turned.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Indeed, but we're not heading for a 100+ majority any more. 50+ is what we're looking at, this and the other moves have been Con -> Lab which means getting those direct swings required to make the Labour -> UKIP -> Con strategy work is going to be very tough.

I've come to the conclusion that Theresa May is a rubbish politician. Which isn't exactly great news for the country heading into what is the most important 2-3 year post-war period.
    If the Tories get 45-46% they will get a 100+ majority.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

kle4 said:

The numbers on a National Care Service are horrific though. It's 5p on income tax for everyone. 25%, 45% and 50% rates. Maybe 3p on income tax and 4p on Employer NI to try and hide it a little.

If anyone thinks that this policy has gone down badly, anyone proposing seriously a 5p rise in income tax would be shot down completely.

Who was it that said politics was the art of the possible?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Hahahah 9% lead against Corbyn is shit. LOL.She needs to drop the home snatching policy,and quick.
  • Options

It's nice to see one of these typical pb explosions of wobble bottomitis. A rare night of fun for the Labour team too...... OGH been able to change the header too add to the fun.

Theresa May = AC Milano

Jeremy Corbyn = Liverpool

2017 = Istanbul 2005
  • Options

Remove triple lock
    Care threshold
    WFA removal

It was the Scottish one that was the real balls up.

If only Mrs May had been aware how badly the prospect on sending English taxpayers' money to Scotland played in England in 2015.
    tim disagrees (thick leader =Corbyn)
    https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/865664454616338432
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Boom, called it 4 weeks ago.

Still a bit strange to me - if you were tempted by May before, going Corbyn now even if you dislike this latest policy set seems odd.
    What if you weren't tempted by May at all but couldn't stand to vote Corbyn. This could be Not Voters turning into Lab voters.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Ooh nearly my new avatar but not quite .....
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Question now is where is Labour's ceiling? Does the social care/winter payment stuff open things up again for them? One thing is for sure, for them to go any higher they need to start converting Tory voters.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    The Conservatives should have cancelled or set up a review on HS2, could have buried all of this and got people talking about that instead.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Hey, maybe you haven’t been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!
    44 v 35 is an ass-kicking??
  • Options
    Is Tory wobble day to be this year's 'day the polls turned'?

Other question, what have the Tories got to take attention away from this as we enter the final stages? And don't say Corbyn and the IRA - it's been done, it's played, I dislike him for it, but people are flocking back to Labour either because they like his policies or they fear the Tories, personal info on him won't sway the polls, so if Labour lose big it'll be despite the polls again.
This discussion has been closed.