Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest French polls not quite as good for Macron as they were

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999

Disraeli said:

If the demands were agreed in full, officials concede it would create a situation where EU nationals in the UK have more rights – say on appealing against immigration decisions on third country spouses – than are enjoyed by British citizens.

Ambitious......

It's easy to square that circle - extend the same rights to all British citizens by the simple expedient of staying in the EU. We'd have to fulfil the referendum mandate by dissolving the UK but it's a small price to pay.
    William, I've got to break this to you mate, but even if the UK wanted to remain in the EU we couldn't.
    The EU has had enough of us.
    We voted OUT once, and we could do it again. What with all our opt-outs, failure to join the Euro and Schengen, and generally being the "awkward squad" and acting as a break on "ever close union"...they are fed up with us.

THEY DON'T WANT US ANYMORE.

Either cry or cheer, according to your preference.
    The Brexiteering public has been put on a war footing in response to all this rhetoric around the negotiations.

Wars, even wars of words, end with victory or defeat, and it is the illusions of Brexit that will be defeated. Once the reality of that humiliation has sunk in, we will accept the consequences with quiet dignity and resolve and resume our rightful place at the heart of Europe.
    Nope, we have left the EU for ever, we may return to EFTA which we were in in the first place and should in retrospect never have left for the EEC and we may even rejoin the single market but we will never ever rejoin the EU now which will become ever more focused on the Eurozone
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573

Oh Dear
    Crathes Public Hall is a registered charity whose constitution forbids its use for political meetings . Apparently it was booked today for a children's party in the name of a certain Mr Burnett ,

Couldn't see that mentioned here:

http://www.crathes.com/hall-terms.htm
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    edited April 2017
    Labour party pledges to outlaw all zero-hours contracts

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/29/election-labour-mcdonnell-corbyn-zero-hours-economy

But lots of people actually like them...and it will totally screw so many businesses if they outlaw all ZHC, no ifs, no buts. ZHC is basically just agency work under another name, which has been about for donkeys years. And also enables businesses to trial workers before giving them full time roles.

As long as individuals on ZHC are free to take their labour where ever they want, I see no problem.

No unpaid internships, a lot of Labour MPs and the Guardian are going to be out of pocket a few quid.
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464

Disraeli said:

If the demands were agreed in full, officials concede it would create a situation where EU nationals in the UK have more rights – say on appealing against immigration decisions on third country spouses – than are enjoyed by British citizens.

Ambitious......

It's easy to square that circle - extend the same rights to all British citizens by the simple expedient of staying in the EU. We'd have to fulfil the referendum mandate by dissolving the UK but it's a small price to pay.
    William, I've got to break this to you mate, but even if the UK wanted to remain in the EU we couldn't.
    We voted OUT once, and we could do it again. What with all our opt-outs, failure to join the Euro and Schengen, and generally being the "awkward squad" and acting as a break on "ever close union"...they are fed up with us.

The Brexiteering public has been put on a war footing in response to all this rhetoric around the negotiations.

Wars, even wars of words, end with victory or defeat, and it is the illusions of Brexit that will be defeated. Once the reality of that humiliation has sunk in, we will accept the consequences with quiet dignity and resolve and resume our rightful place at the heart of Europe.
    Jesus.H.Christ. Delusional.

• Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    dixiedean said:

snip

OTOH, may be rogue polls.

Bottom line is, we just don't know what the Hell is going on with the polls, do we?

* The Lib Dems' attempt to win the Remain vote over may be failing, as voters conclude they're too weak to do anything useful about the situation
    * The tribal Labour vote may be even more sticky than we previously thought
    * The polls may be wrong, by as much or more than they were the last time; the supplementary questions give no suggestion that this race has any capacity to be competitive, quite the reverse, and at least in the case of Opinium we know they've been fiddling about with their methodology as well
    * As I suggested earlier, the Labour poll bounce may not be uniform and they could be shoring up their position in Remain-leaning/metropolitan areas (along with securing a lot of useless extra votes from grumpy Remainers in many well-to-do Tory seats in Southern England,) whilst continuing to be in difficulty in Leave-leaning/provincial areas

Labour has been in more or less continuous decline in the polls for the last year, but the line isn't perfectly flat. It wobbles about a little, as you might expect. The latest little cluster of surveys might constitute a blip. The only way we're going to know, one way or another, is when we have the result in a little less than six weeks' time.

FWIW I still don't believe that Labour is going to end this campaign doing as well or better than Ed Miliband or Gordon Brown did. If the polls are indicating such a thing come the final figures before the big day, then I would (if forced to venture an opinion) guess that the polls are getting it wrong again.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    welshowl said:

Ambitious......

It seems to me that the negotiating intent of the EU is to get a deal where EU citizens living and working in the UK are subject to EU rights, laws, and courts, and not those of the UK.

The even more optimistic flipside of that is the "generosity" of the EU in offering a similar arrangement to pro-EU UK Remainers, which is why Verhofstadht was talking about those who wanted it in the UK retaining their EU citizenship on an opt-in basis if they wanted it.
    That is extra judiciality and utterly unacceptable. We walk.

More likely that Brits abroad and EU nationals continue to live on the same terms as they settled. That is, under those laid out in the Treaty.

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226

Disraeli said:

Ambitious......

As we have been told ever since Philip II.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098

Disraeli said:

Ambitious......

Delusion worthy of the Japanese fighters abandoned in jungles for years after WW2 had ended...
    edited April 2017

I'd be genuinely shocked if Labour polled close to its 2015 result. If it does, it will show just how lucky the Tories were to be facing Corbyn. It will also indicate a much higher Labour floor than previously thought - something that might worry a few of the smarter Tories as the Brexit talks begin. Should Corbyn deliver a 30% vote, imagine what a far-lefty with half a clue and no back history of hanging out with terrorists might do against the backdrop of a botched negotiation.

Except Ed Miliband polled 35% but got 30% which suggests Corbyn is actually on 25% especially as Opinium has not gone as far as yougov and ICM in changing its methodology
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

welshowl said:

Fortunately Mrs May's a good campaigner, a natural speaker, and her great passion to meet ordinary voters will halt this slide.

Mrs May, the woman who blew a 25% lead against Corbyn. Tut Tut

Top trolling.
    Some of us have real money staked on this election.

Mrs May could cost me nearly £16,000 on the spreads with her crapness
    Hmmmmmm, wonder what the price on SCons under 9.5 seats is now?
    Even the best polls have 8 Tory seats as the limit, though that would include the scalp of Angus Robertson
    May's Press & Journal comments on the Common Fisheries Policy won't have made his life easier.....
    Yes, it is the most pro Leave seat in Scotland
    It is where my Scottish family live - good fisher folk
    Yes, it has a strong chance of going Tory
    It was at one time.

My wonderful late Father in law and one of Scotlands most successful fishermen voted labour all his life but he was great friends with Sir Bill Duthie his conservative mp who persuaded him to attend the Palace and receive his medal for services to the fishing industry from the King. He really did not want it but he also did not want to insult the King. Says everything about him really
  • midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    edited April 2017
    Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Potential for all three GB parties to walk away from #GE2017 fairly happy. Cons: we got rather bigger majority, wd have liked more, but OK.

Lab: well, we lost pretty badly, but we didn't get wiped out, no catastrophe. Phew. Lib Dems: we won a few seats, got loads more seconds.

Handshakes all round.

Danger for Labour is, Jezza does ok and he doesn't go anywhere....
    40-50 Tory Majority and Jezza stays would be brilliant result for the Tories...

My main problem with the Posh Boy's project is that it pretty much had a ceiling of 10-15 majority...

No vision amongst - but of course they hadn't experienced a good grammar school education...
    As opposed to the current offerings from Mrs May...

A bodged grammar school announcement (when schools are under and unfairly funded in many counties already)

A cowardly u-turn on a sensible tax proposal (making her Chancellor look a tit to boot).

A rehash of a (dumb) Miliband energy policy.

Some vague waffle that Brexit means Brexit and it's going to be Red, White and Blue....

Stunning. Can't understand how the political titan that is Corbyn is catching her hand over fist......

Charles Grant‏ @CER_Grant

German officials in Berlin tell me they worry that May + ministers are 'deluded' on what lies ahead eg May still says FTA can be done in 2y

https://twitter.com/cer_grant/status/858089918270197760

There is plenty of delusion on the EU side.
    Including the assumption that Remain would win easily.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

German officials in Berlin tell me they worry that May + ministers are 'deluded' on what lies ahead eg May still says FTA can be done in 2y

We aren't the ones with the budget surplus, receiving net contributions, exporting people or relying on the goodwill of our neighbour to supply a modern armed force and excellence with defence and security.

When do you suppose they will wake up?

We have two years to organise our plan to phase them out.

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

It seems to me that the negotiating intent of the EU is to get a deal where EU citizens living and working in the UK are subject to EU rights, laws, and courts, and not those of the UK.

The even more optimistic flipside of that is the "generosity" of the EU in offering a similar arrangement to pro-EU UK Remainers, which is why Verhofstadht was talking about those who wanted it in the UK retaining their EU citizenship on an opt-in basis if they wanted it.

More likely that Brits abroad and EU nationals continue to live on the same terms as they settled. That is, under those laid out in the Treaty.

Broadly yes. Subject to the negotiation.
    Turkey sacks 4,000 more officials in coup-bid crackdown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39759050

Free and Fair...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    I think we could do with seeing some proper regional polling. Last time that seemed to be pretty good.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,960
    RobD said:

Oh Dear
    Crathes Public Hall is a registered charity whose constitution forbids its use for political meetings . Apparently it was booked today for a children's party in the name of a certain Mr Burnett ,

Impressed you could link the T&Cs. However if the booker did book a children's party and actually held a political event that does clearly break the terms - as well as being generally dishonest.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    @Keiranpedley

Polls seem to be 'tightening' this weekend. Though all have double digit Tory leads. Suspect average back down to 15

But let's call a spade a spade. Unless Corbyn closes gap w/May on best PM/best to neg Brexit we are only debating size of Con majority
    HYUFD said:

I'd be genuinely shocked if Labour polled close to its 2015 result. If it does, it will show just how lucky the Tories were to be facing Corbyn. It will also indicate a much higher Labour floor than previously thought - something that might worry a few of the smarter Tories as the Brexit talks begin. Should Corbyn deliver a 30% vote, imagine what a far-lefty with half a clue and no back history of hanging out with terrorists might do against the backdrop of a botched negotiation.

Except Ed Miliband polled 35% but got 30% which suggests Corbyn is actually on 25% especially as Opinium has not gone as far as yougov and ICM in changing its methodology

As I said, I'd be very surprised if Labour got close to its 2015 result.

• KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917
    Just put £15 on Palace to be relegated. 40-1. Insurance, pays for next season's season ticket if the worst happens

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

The issues are; i) ECJ oversight and ii) Subsequent amendment of EU rules.
  • Labour party pledges to outlaw all zero-hours contracts

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/29/election-labour-mcdonnell-corbyn-zero-hours-economy

But lots of people actually like them...and it will totally screw so many businesses if they outlaw all ZHC, no ifs, no buts. ZHC is basically just agency work under another name, which has been about for donkeys years. And also enables businesses to trial workers before giving them full time roles.

As long as individuals on ZHC are free to take their labour where ever they want, I see no problem.

No unpaid internships, a lot of Labour MPs and the Guardian are going to be out of pocket a few quid.

McDonalds are to ban them and out of a workforce of 116,000 - 80 % refused saying they suited them
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Turkey sacks 4,000 more officials in coup-bid crackdown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39759050

Free and Fair...

I thing the phrase is "Strong and stable government, not a coalition of chaos".
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

But that may well give EU nationals more rights than British citizens (and Brits abroad more rights than the citizens of the relevant country).

• DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    edited April 2017

Disraeli said:

Ambitious......

You are even more deluded than I thought you were! :smile:

We have never, ever been at the heart of Europe. Oh! We have often said that we wanted to be, but the heart of Europe has always been the Franco-German "motor".

It's over, William. Cry your tears and move on. You know deep down that it's for the best.
    chestnut said:

We aren't the ones with the budget surplus, receiving net contributions, exporting people or relying on the goodwill of our neighbour to supply a modern armed force and excellence with defence and security.

The UK government is not going to put the security of British citizens more at risk as a Brexit negotiation tool.

I suspect that without a LibDem recovery Labour's floor is about 25%.

On the other hand Labour's ceiling might be no higher than 33%.

I'd say Labour's problem is that its voting blocks are smaller than the Conservative voting blocks:

Public sector vs Private sector
    Non-white vs White
    Young vs Old
    City vs Non-city
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Potential for all three GB parties to walk away from #GE2017 fairly happy. Cons: we got rather bigger majority, wd have liked more, but OK.

Lab: well, we lost pretty badly, but we didn't get wiped out, no catastrophe. Phew. Lib Dems: we won a few seats, got loads more seconds.

Handshakes all round.

My main problem with the Posh Boy's project is that it pretty much had a ceiling of 10-15 majority...

No vision amongst - but of course they hadn't experienced a good grammar school education...

A bodged grammar school announcement (when schools are under and unfairly funded in many counties already)

A cowardly u-turn on a sensible tax proposal (making her Chancellor look a tit to boot).

Some vague waffle that Brexit means Brexit and it's going to be Red, White and Blue....

Stunning. Can't understand how the political titan that is Corbyn is catching her hand over fist......

He isn't even on tonight's polls Corbyn trails May by more than Hague trailed Blair or Kinnock trailed Thatcher

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

welshowl said:

Fortunately Mrs May's a good campaigner, a natural speaker, and her great passion to meet ordinary voters will halt this slide.

Top trolling.

Even the best polls have 8 Tory seats as the limit, though that would include the scalp of Angus Robertson
    May's Press & Journal comments on the Common Fisheries Policy won't have made his life easier.....
    It was at one time.

My wonderful late Father in law and one of Scotlands most successful fishermen voted labour all his life but he was great friends with Sir Bill Duthie his conservative mp who persuaded him to attend the Palace and receive his medal for services to the fishing industry from the King. He really did not want it but he also did not want to insult the King. Says everything about him really
    Sounds a great character
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

Oh Dear

Impressed you could link the T&Cs. However if the booker did book a children's party and actually held a political event that does clearly break the terms - as well as being generally dishonest.
    Oh, I thought it was that they were somehow displaced. I am not sure why a party would have to lie to find a venue for an event like that?

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

But that may well give EU nationals more rights than British citizens (and Brits abroad more rights than the citizens of the relevant country).

Surely the principles should be; i) no discrimination between UK nationals irrespective of country of origin, ii) No discrimination between UK Permanent residents irrespective of country of origin.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089

Ambitious......

It will never happen. You simply cannot have an external legal system applying to a particular section of the population. If Verhofstadht really thinks that will happen he is going to be extremely disappointed.
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Her policies are popular and necessary amongst those within and without the party - the Posh Boys rarely managed either. The mask of easy success that the Brexit campaign forced off Camborne crippled their standing in both.

But getting back to electoral strategy, where did a Cameron/Osborne party that had Remained go in 2020? Facing a LD party who had been in opposition for 5 years and therefore able to recapture votes in SW. And a Labour Party who could point and shout 'they are not like you and never will be' at an out of touch metropolitan leadership.

For all the guff about long term economic plans, Cambornism had no long term strategy for winning the next election. Moving tanks on to Labour's lawn and winning Lab/Tory marginals is both more audacious and far sighted...
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

AndyJS said:

JCICIPM.

Very unlikely IMO

Tonight's YG

TMICIPM
    One could not help but notice that the mood of the PB Tories tonight is somewhat different from their mood last Saturday night.
  • RobD said:

Oh Dear

"4. The hirer may only use the hall for the purpose specified at the time of hire."
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

People like unsecure work ,no pension,no sick pay, crap wages and no union ask any boss when May visits their workplace as it gives them freedom.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017

chestnut said:

The UK government is not going to put the security of British citizens more at risk as a Brexit negotiation tool.

Agreed. We will look after ours. Whether we'll come to the aid of others is another matter.

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159

chestnut said:

You keep repeating that rubbish but I'm certain that security cooperation is on the table. I look forward to being vindicated a year from now and watching you impotently rage against the government for pulling security and military cooperation (NATO excepted).
    HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

He isn't even on tonight's polls Corbyn trails May by more than Hague trailed Blair or Kinnock trailed Thatcher
    Fair enough. But Labour have significantly narrowed the gap in the last week despite Corbyn and a dire campaign thus far.

And I'm still struggling to see what Mrs May has actually done or said to encourage voters other than not being Corbyn.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

welshowl said:

Top trolling.

It was at one time.

Sounds a great character
    He was. I spent hours talking with him about the fishing and his time developing the Irish fishing fleets. He was a wonderful 'skipper' to all his men who loved him to bits. He had 9 brothers and 2 sisters, two boys died as infants. They were all involved in the fishing and 2 brothers were lost at sea

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

I can't see (ii) being a huge problem. But (i) will be. Brits in the EU would have their rights protected by the ECJ as they would be within its jurisdiction. Not unreasonably, EU member states will want to ensure that the rights of their citizens are as robustly protected in the UK.

Yorkcity said:

People like unsecure work ,no pension,no sick pay, crap wages and no union ask any boss when May visits their workplace as it gives them freedom.
    The rise in self employment suggests that, despite your shed load of sarcasm, people prefer to be liberated from restrictive employment law...
    welshowl said:

Disraeli said:

Ambitious......

Jesus.H.Christ. Delusional.

I think the referendum result broke Williamglenn. I imagine that when we actually do leave he will be found in a corner rocking backwards and forwards mumbling the names of past presidents of the Commission.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    Disraeli said:

We have never, ever been at the heart of Europe. Oh! We have often said that we wanted to be, but the heart of Europe has always been the Franco-German "motor".

In a parallel universe where Blair had joined the Euro and stayed out of Iraq we would now have immense power and influence within the EU. People may even have joked that Theresa May was the Queen of Europe, instead of giving that honorary title to the German Chancellor.
    edited April 2017
    Yorkcity said:

A whole host of surveys and polling of the past several years continue to show a significant proportion of people who work via ZHC say they do. Who am I to argue with that.
    Yorkcity said:

They may prefer it to 'no work', as in much of Continental Europe:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

May's event was very near to the Royal Deeside Railway.

http://www.deeside-railway.co.uk/

Sadly, only been as far north as Leuchars by train.
    @Sunil_Prasannan
    You might find this interesting. It deals with the far north.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-author-wins-national-railway-book-of-the-year-award-1-4430885
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 731
    Apart from dropping a load of commitments Cameron never thought he'd have to implement, I wonder what actual vote-grabbing promises will be in the Tory manifesto?

I suspect that without a LibDem recovery Labour's floor is about 25%.

On the other hand Labour's ceiling might be no higher than 33%.

I'd say Labour's problem is that its voting blocks are smaller than the Conservative voting blocks:

Public sector vs Private sector
    Non-white vs White
    Young vs Old
    City vs Non-city

I don't think things are as rigid as that. And a bad Brexit leading to job losses, tax rises and cuts in services would be quite a gamechanger potentially. That said, I agree that 30% is way too high for this election.

• PongPong Posts: 4,693

Yorkcity said:

A whole host of surveys and polling of the past several years continue to show a significant proportion of people who work via ZHC say they do. Who am I to argue with that.
    That's really interesting if so. Do you have a link to the data?
  • bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    What a fight.
  • Just put £15 on Palace to be relegated. 40-1. Insurance, pays for next season's season ticket if the worst happens

Wouldn't they reduce it if in the Championship - you've probably lost £0.50p.
    edited April 2017

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

I can't see (ii) being a huge problem. But (i) will be. Brits in the EU would have their rights protected by the ECJ as they would be within its jurisdiction. Not unreasonably, EU member states will want to ensure that the rights of their citizens are as robustly protected in the UK.

So should a German citizen living in the US be under ECJ jurisdiction as well? Come off it. This is the kind of bullshit from the EU that will lead to hard Brexit. From 2019 we will be a third state to the EU, an outside party. EU citizens are welcome to stay but the rules are changing. If they don't like the new rules then they are welcome to leave, most won't because the British justice system is better than what they would get at home and anything that comes out of Luxembourg.
    bobajobPB said:

What a fight.

Which one? The one in Hartlepool or in London?
    edited April 2017

On the contrary, they seem far better prepared for a Leave vote than we are. The EU27 have spent the last 10 months preparing for Brexit, while our government has made nearly no plans. The last year has been squandered.

I agree with Disraeli. We have burnt our boats with the EU. There is no going back, not for a couple of decades anyway.

NeilVW said:

Apart from dropping a load of commitments Cameron never thought he'd have to implement, I wonder what actual vote-grabbing promises will be in the Tory manifesto?

I'm guessing: School reform, tax reform, Lords Reform, and Brexit-not-in-name-only.

And I think it'll be tremendously popular.
    edited April 2017
    Police are investigating an ‘appalling’ film that compares officers protecting a shale gas site to Nazi SS guards who murdered millions of Jews in the Holocaust.

The video created by environmentalists intercuts footage of anti-fracking protesters confronting police with scenes from the Oscar-winning film Schindler’s List.

In one of the most offensive scenes, the filmmakers use a clip in which a young Jewish woman is shot in the head by an SS officer. The woman’s final words are dubbed over with the voice of anti-fracking protester and Green Party Election candidate Tina Rothery*.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459120/Fury-fracking-protesters-compare-police-Nazi-butchers.html

*She claims she knew nothing about the film.

The far lefty fringe appear to be more obsessed with the Jews / Hitler and than the far right these days.
    Mortimer said:

Yorkcity said:

The rise in self employment suggests that, despite your shed load of sarcasm, people prefer to be liberated from restrictive employment law...
    Depends what you class as self employment.

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

On (ii) how can we have two sets of regulations for people in the UK depending on where they are from - which is how some are writing up the EU demand.

They keep telling us we will be a 'Third Country' (except when it comes to fisheries or security or defence or...) in which other 'Third Countries' are EU citizens rights protected by the ECJ?

Yes, there may need to be a mutually agreed method for resolving disputes - but it can't be the ECJ.
    Note: unless Labour's vote goes up relative to 2015, the Conservative majority will increase regardless. No prospect that large influx of ex-Ukip voters will be outnumbered by 2015 Tories going elsewhere. Lib Dems not doing well enough to inflict significant damage.

Question is, if (and I still, think it's a very big if) the Labour vote share does get somewhere close to holding up, will it be in the same places as before, or will they be building up votes in Remain-leaning areas and losing them in Leave-leaning areas? If the former, this will help limit losses. If the latter, it will exacerbate them.
    MaxPB said:

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

So should a German citizen living in the US be under ECJ jurisdiction as well? Come off it. This is the kind of bullshit from the EU that will lead to hard Brexit. From 2019 we will be a third state to the EU, an outside party. EU citizens are welcome to stay but the rules are changing. If they don't like the new rules then they are welcome to leave, most won't because the British justice system is better than what they would get at home and anything that comes out of Luxembourg.

You don't have to be under ECJ jurisdiction. You just need provisions that guarantee existing rights will not be taken away.

• NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 731

Disraeli said:

In a parallel universe where Blair had joined the Euro and stayed out of Iraq we would now have immense power and influence within the EU. People may even have joked that Theresa May was the Queen of Europe, instead of giving that honorary title to the German Chancellor.
    I want some of what you're taking, William. :smile:
    edited April 2017

MaxPB said:

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

You don't have to be under ECJ jurisdiction. You just need provisions that guarantee existing rights will not be taken away.

Why?

Remember that was why the A50 vote was forced by the SC. Parliament has voted in favour of A50 because it will mean certain rights are going to be rescinded in 2019 once we leave, ECJ jurisdiction is one of them.
  • BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Disraeli said:

You have noticed the damage the Euro has done haven't you? Or indeed the existential crisis that would have been caused by our deficit had we been in it in 2008?

In short, I think you've forgotten to take your medicine.
    Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Her policies are popular and necessary amongst those within and without the party - the Posh Boys rarely managed either. The mask of easy success that the Brexit campaign forced off Camborne crippled their standing in both.

But getting back to electoral strategy, where did a Cameron/Osborne party that had Remained go in 2020? Facing a LD party who had been in opposition for 5 years and therefore able to recapture votes in SW. And a Labour Party who could point and shout 'they are not like you and never will be' at an out of touch metropolitan leadership.

For all the guff about long term economic plans, Cambornism had no long term strategy for winning the next election. Moving tanks on to Labour's lawn and winning Lab/Tory marginals is both more audacious and far sighted...
    Yeah. I take your point about the difficulty of direction had Remain won and even the Posh Boy spiel has a ring of truth to it (although all snobbery inverted or otherwise is vile).

My point is more that Mrs May hasn't really articulated clearly any clear policy and the snippets we've seen so far have been either incoherent or dropped. Hopefully the manifesto will give us a better idea of her vision.

Yorkcity said:

They may prefer it to 'no work', as in much of Continental Europe:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/
    Yes I would agree with that Carlotta it is terrible on the continent youth unemployment.

May's event was very near to the Royal Deeside Railway.

http://www.deeside-railway.co.uk/

Sadly, only been as far north as Leuchars by train.
    Some scenic journeys in Scotland to whet your appetite. Surprisingly they don't include the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route that you presumably travelled on, and which crosses the two great railway bridges.
    MaxPB said:

chestnut said:

You keep repeating that rubbish but I'm certain that security cooperation is on the table. I look forward to being vindicated a year from now and watching you impotently rage against the government for pulling security and military cooperation (NATO excepted).

I rage impotently now, as do you. The UK government will not increase the security threat faced by British citizens. I am surprised you think it will.

Disraeli said:

No, Germany will always dominate the EU see Greece and the UK has always been the most global of the main European powers
    Pong said:

Yorkcity said:

That's really interesting if so. Do you have a link to the data?
    Any nurse working on the Hospital bank for example, so they can be free for school holidays. Mrs Fox did this for some years when Fox jr was small.
    HYUFD said:

Disraeli said:

No, Germany will always dominate the EU see Greece and the UK has always been the most global of the main European powers

Not in business.

On the contrary, they seem far better prepared for a Leave vote than we are. The EU27 have spent the last 10 months preparing for Brexit, while our government has made nearly no plans. The last year has been squandered.

I agree with Disraeli. We have burnt our boats with the EU. There is no going back, not for a couple of decades anyway.

We don't know what plans have been made by the UK government, Hopefully any that have been made have been kept under wraps. Given how May sprang the election I wouldn't discount that.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Fair enough. But Labour have significantly narrowed the gap in the last week despite Corbyn and a dire campaign thus far.

And I'm still struggling to see what Mrs May has actually done or said to encourage voters other than not being Corbyn.
    Significantly narrowed - as in 0.5%?

There was no planning prior to the EU referendum because the arrogant fool Cameron forbade it. Since the vote, a considerable amount of running around will doubtless have been taking place.

I concur that there's no prospect of a return to the EU in the short-to-medium term, and quite possibly not in the long-term (if it's around for us to rejoin by then.) I compare the entire concept of re-joining the EU once we are out of it to the abolition of the monarchy: something that maybe a fifth or even a quarter of the population feels is a good idea in theory, but that only a small number of hard core obsessives feel passionately about in practice.
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Labour have upped their voteshare a bit compared to last week but have not really made many inroads into the Tory share which is still well above 2015 indeed Opinium has the LDs down 3% and Labour up 4% so almost all the Labour gains came from the LDs, perhaps after Farron's gay sin fiasco

Disraeli said:

We would've done an Ireland. House prices soared under 2% interest rates rather then the 5% that prevailed in the noughties, and brought the whole system down with us as we were far too big to bail out.

We don't know what plans have been made by the UK government, Hopefully any that have been made have been kept under wraps. Given how May sprang the election I wouldn't discount that.
    Plans and shock and awe political theatre are not the same thing. I can quite believe that May has been practising in front of the mirror, but that's not the same as a plan.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

Why?

Remember that was why the A50 vote was forced by the SC. Parliament has voted in favour of A50 because it will mean certain rights are going to be rescinded in 2019 once we leave, ECJ jurisdiction is one of them.

UK citizens living abroad lose rights unless there is a deal. That is why a deal is necessary. The rights British citizens currently living in the UK will lose are less saveable.

Police are investigating an ‘appalling’ film that compares officers protecting a shale gas site to Nazi SS guards who murdered millions of Jews in the Holocaust.

The video created by environmentalists intercuts footage of anti-fracking protesters confronting police with scenes from the Oscar-winning film Schindler’s List.

In one of the most offensive scenes, the filmmakers use a clip in which a young Jewish woman is shot in the head by an SS officer. The woman’s final words are dubbed over with the voice of anti-fracking protester and Green Party Election candidate Tina Rothery*.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4459120/Fury-fracking-protesters-compare-police-Nazi-butchers.html

*She claims she knew nothing about the film.

The far lefty fringe appear to be more obsessed with the Jews / Hitler and than the far right these days.

Though it does sound that they are empathising with the Jews, not condemning them!
    midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Yeah. I take your point about the difficulty of direction had Remain won and even the Posh Boy spiel has a ring of truth to it (although all snobbery inverted or otherwise is vile).

My point is more that Mrs May hasn't really articulated clearly any clear policy and the snippets we've seen so far have been either incoherent or dropped. Hopefully the manifesto will give us a better idea of her vision.

TBH as a fellow BNCer I don't really like the Cameron posh boy designation either - but it is a useful shorthand for popular perceptions.

In the spirit of PBTory rapprachemont I must admit that Mrs May's intentions seem to have exceeded her achievements so far. I understand your frustrations - and MaxPB's too - but honestly feel that her brand of Toryism is the only one that has a 2 or 3 election wins perspective.

Cameron was too limited in his aims - he should have been taking back seats in the Midlands in 2010 and 2015 by closing down the Kipper vote. He didn't want to, but it hurt his party's chances.

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Seem very strange conservatives on here complaining about posh boys.I do not remember their complaints when they led the party.It was the opposite .

midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Significantly narrowed - as in 0.5%?
    7%. From 23% to 16%. You are a smart boy. At least, you tell us that.
    edited April 2017
    welshowl said:

Disraeli said:

We would've done an Ireland. House prices soared under 2% interest rates rather then the 5% that prevailed in the noughties, and brought the whole system down with us as we were far too big to bail out.
    In my parallel reality Ken Clarke (or his policies) would have been in charge and we would have had better regulation of mortgage lending. In other words: assume competent government in the UK.

Disraeli said:

LOL. I really genuinely feel pity for you having such a delusional view of reality.

welshowl said:

Ambitious......

On (ii) how can we have two sets of regulations for people in the UK depending on where they are from - which is how some are writing up the EU demand.

They keep telling us we will be a 'Third Country' (except when it comes to fisheries or security or defence or...) in which other 'Third Countries' are EU citizens rights protected by the ECJ?

Yes, there may need to be a mutually agreed method for resolving disputes - but it can't be the ECJ.

It doesn't have to be. The issue is much more which law is applied.

I rage impotently now, as do you. The UK government will not increase the security threat faced by British citizens. I am surprised you think it will.

As someone who lives overseas for most of the year I don't look to the British government for my safety, it is up to the Swiss to make sure I'm safe. The same goes for the British people living in all other parts of the world, not just the EU. As Richard Nabavi pointed out last time, without a deal we fall out of the existing security cooperation structures. There is no way the government will discuss security without also having trade being discussed at the same time. Just as the EU maintains this idea of no a la carte menu, so will the government. Security is a major asset, it will be on the table. Truly I look forward to your howls of impotent rage a year from now.

Anyway, you keep repeating that same old rubbish about how the government won't put British citizens at risk, but the simple fact is they already do it by not providing security information to middle eastern governments where tens of thousands of British citizens live and work under the threat of daily terror attacks.

MaxPB said:

A security deal is interesting to the EU side so it's a card the UK can play. Mrs May completely misplayed it by issuing crude threats.

I have to say Mrs May's Brexit negotiating "strategy" baffles me. It's not just that she is a dire negotiator. She just doesn't seem to be interested. And it's very chaotic. Time will tell whether the EU side overreaches or has played their hand with huge success. What is certain is that they are clear about their goals, very focused in achieving them and have planned their approach rigorously.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Note: unless Labour's vote goes up relative to 2015, the Conservative majority will increase regardless. No prospect that large influx of ex-Ukip voters will be outnumbered by 2015 Tories going elsewhere. Lib Dems not doing well enough to inflict significant damage.

Question is, if (and I still, think it's a very big if) the Labour vote share does get somewhere close to holding up, will it be in the same places as before, or will they be building up votes in Remain-leaning areas and losing them in Leave-leaning areas? If the former, this will help limit losses. If the latter, it will exacerbate them.

With all the usual caveats, I've been canvassing in two quite different areas - my WWC area in Nottingham North (big Leave/UKIP votes) and various bits of Broxtowe (suburbia). The Labour vote seems to be mostly holding up in both (even increasing in the most university-related areas), but the UKIP->Con switch is much more obvious in Nottingham North. In other words, people who were alienated by Labour's perceived softness on immigration etc. had already left in 2015 to UKIP as a staging post, and are now moving on to the Tories.

If - a big if - that's a general pattern, then the effect will be to make strong Labour/Leave seats more marginal, while not having much effect on typical suburban marginals where the WWC/Leave vote was smaller. We might see some very odd results.

welshowl said:

Disraeli said:

In my parallel reality Ken Clarke would have been in charge and we would have had better regulation of mortgage lending. In other words: assume competent government in the UK.
    In my parallel reality I am billionaire and have my choice of super models every night of the week.

My reality is more plausible than yours by the way.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Oh Dear

@ProfChalmers: Slightly confused by folk thinking that because a hall didn't put "SATURDAY TOP SECRET PM VISIT!" online, the booking was made by deception.
    Yorkcity said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

midwinter said:

Mortimer said:

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Seem very strange conservatives on here complaining about posh boys.I do not remember their complaints when they led the party.It was the opposite .
    tim used to call the duo "posh boys" or more endearingly "poshos". The PB Tories use to fume. Now they have taken up from where tim left....
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292

Glen O'Hara:

Handshakes all round.

Good point, so lose lose for Labour if they do slighty better than predicted and then Corbyn hangs on.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nick, did you see my question earlier about Tory Remainers?

With all the usual caveats, I've been canvassing in two quite different areas - my WWC area in Nottingham North (big Leave/UKIP votes) and various bits of Broxtowe (suburbia). The Labour vote seems to be mostly holding up in both (even increasing in the most university-related areas), but the UKIP->Con switch is much more obvious in Nottingham North. In other words, people who were alienated by Labour's perceived softness on immigration etc. had already left in 2015 to UKIP as a staging post, and are now moving on to the Tories.

If - a big if - that's a general pattern, then the effect will be to make strong Labour/Leave seats more marginal, while not having much effect on typical suburban marginals where the WWC/Leave vote was smaller. We might see some very odd results.
    Has Broxtowe made a selection yet?
    Scott_P said:

Oh Dear

@ProfChalmers: Slightly confused by folk thinking that because a hall didn't put "SATURDAY TOP SECRET PM VISIT!" online, the booking was made by deception.
    That's a fair point :p

welshowl said:

Disraeli said:

In my parallel reality Ken Clarke (or his policies) would have been in charge and we would have had better regulation of mortgage lending. In other words: assume competent government in the UK.
    But you said if Blair had joined the Euro.... he wasn't competent. Clearly. Good at winning elections though.

UK citizens living abroad lose rights unless there is a deal. That is why a deal is necessary. The rights British citizens currently living in the UK will lose are less saveable.

We'll survive. I'll apply for a visa, pay for private healthcare. Those who can't afford it or don't qualify will go home, and vice versa.

Even with a residency deal which maintains everyone's right to reside, there is no way the UK could ever allow the ECJ to extend its jurisdiction for any reason. On going cases or cases that are brought that relate to when we were in, sure, but from 2019 any new cases will have to be heard in a UK court under domestic law with no right of appeal to the ECJ. The solution is simple, if that isn't satisfactory then they are welcome to leave. I'm under no illusion that I will be able to bring a court case against a Swiss national or company to a UK court under UK law, I don't see why an EU citizen should expect anything different.
    FF43 said:

MaxPB said:

A security deal is interesting to the EU side so it's a card the UK can play. Mrs May completely misplayed it by issuing crude threats.

I have to say Mrs May's Brexit negotiating "strategy" baffles me. It's not just that she is a dire negotiator. She just doesn't seem to be interested. And it's very chaotic. Time will tell whether the EU side overreaches or has played their hand with huge success. What is certain is that they are clear about their goals, very focused in achieving them and have planned their approach rigorously.
    Barnier is no mug. Who is our Barnier ?
    MaxPB said:

As someone who lives overseas for most of the year I don't look to the British government for my safety, it is up to the Swiss to make sure I'm safe. The same goes for the British people living in all other parts of the world, not just the EU. As Richard Nabavi pointed out last time, without a deal we fall out of the existing security cooperation structures. There is no way the government will discuss security without also having trade being discussed at the same time. Just as the EU maintains this idea of no a la carte menu, so will the government. Security is a major asset, it will be on the table. Truly I look forward to your howls of impotent rage a year from now.

Anyway, you keep repeating that same old rubbish about how the government won't put British citizens at risk, but the simple fact is they already do it by not providing security information to middle eastern governments where tens of thousands of British citizens live and work under the threat of daily terror attacks.

Withdrawing cooperation is increasing risk. The UK government will not do it. Quite why you want British citizens to face heightened exposure to danger is beyond me.

Scott_P said:

Oh Dear

I think "Constituency meeting" during an election campaign would both be honest and not particularly give away the PM's movements. "Childrens' Party" is rather less honest , except if they were self-deprecatingly referring to the infantile nature of the Conservative and Unionist Party.
This discussion has been closed.