Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s May 4th prospects are looking appalling in England, W

Comments

• ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    kle4 said:

Looking at my bible, I'm amazed how much smaller the New Testament is compared to the Old. I guess the old has to fill in all the backstory details

bobajobPB said:

No more sodding discussion of Tim Farron and gay sex and it's a sin. I have the bloody Pet Shop Boys song earwormed in my head. I'm an Always On My Mind man.

You will look back upon this comment with a sense of shame.
    :lol:

Actual LOL, my wife asked what was so funny.

:+1:
    Tell her I'm always the one to blame.

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Farron sounds like he is in a right royal pickle over this gay shagging lark. Putting me off voting Liberal, truth be told. But May is also God Squad, I understand. Has anyone asked her whether she considers gay sex the work of Lord Beelzebub?

I woulDK)
    !
    Rubbish. Several tons of crap spouted by the bible is ignored at Christians' convenience. It is demonstrably possible to be religious and oppose much of the shite that surrounds it.
    To give Michael Gove (a christian) some credit (never thought I would say that!) - he had no problem saying straight away that gay sex was not a sin. Farron messed up here.
    He said it for political advantage, in terms of the religious definition of sin he was wrong
    How can he be 'wrong'?line to beat their children are defying the 'good' book.
    Technically if you spoil your children too much you are also being sinful, yes
    That is not what the bible says! Spare the rod, spoil the child. If you don't beat your children you will spoil them! Do you hold that view? Does May? Does Farron?
    Please provide the Book, Chapter and Verse of the Bible that says. "Spare the rod, spoil the child"
    Wiki says direct quote is:

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 13:24
    13:20 He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

I think this was what OGH was getting at earlier with educated remainers and non-educated Tories.
    Knowledge is not wisdom...
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Disraeli said:

A pun so awesome, you'd think I wrote it

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/856974833757945856

Hopefully Taramasalata is not affected in a similar way.
    It might trigger a double dip recession.
    Taking you entirely seriously (it is no laughing matter) I fear it may already have happened - Taramasalata seems much harder to get hold of thesedays.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    bobajobPB said:

No more sodding discussion of Tim Farron and gay sex and it's a sin. I have the bloody Pet Shop Boys song earwormed in my head. I'm an Always On My Mind man.

You will look back upon this comment with a sense of shame.
    :lol:

Actual LOL, my wife asked what was so funny.

:+1:
    Tell her I'm always the one to blame.

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Farron sounds like he is in a right royal pickle over this gay shagging lark. Putting me off voting Liberal, truth be told. But May is also God Squad, I understand. Has anyone asked her whether she considers gay sex the work of Lord Beelzebub?

I would be very interested in her answer, given the struggles Farron has had with it (and I know one Tory-considering-LD who has been put off by his answers to date, so what they'd do if May said the same things IDK)
    !
    Rubbish. Several tons of crap spouted by the bible is ignored at Christians' convenience. It is demonstrably possible to be religious and oppose much of the shite that surrounds it.
    To give Michael Gove (a christian) some credit (never thought I would say that!) - he had no problem saying straight away that gay sex was not a sin. Farron messed up here.
    He said it for political advantage, in terms of the religious definition of sin he was wrong
    How can he be 'wrong'?line to beat their children are defying the 'good' book.
    Technically if you spoil your children too much you are also being sinful, yes
    That is not what the bible says! Spare the rod, spoil the child. If you don't beat your children you will spoil them! Do you hold that view? Does May? Does Farron?
    Please provide the Book, Chapter and Verse of the Bible that says. "Spare the rod, spoil the child"
    Wiki says direct quote is:

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 13:24
    So your original claim up-thread that the Bible says, " If you don't beat your children you will spoil them!" was in fact complete bollocks
  • kle4 said:

That is your interpretation. When I ponder the word of OGH, I feel I am more of a literalist, the one true faith. :)

(Beware the false prophet TSE, he does not speak with the word of OGH always)

I'm the least religious person you will ever meet.

That said I do like religious history (and the wars therein) and Jesus being proof of the existence of Zombies.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

I would be very interested in her answer, given the struggles Farron has had with it (and I know one Tory-considering-LD who has been put off by his answers to date, so what they'd do if May said the same things IDK)
    Go Green maybe but this is all ridiculous, gay marriage is legal and both Farron and May voted for it but as they are both practising Christians they cannot contradict Biblical teaching that any sex outside heterosexual marriage is a sin but then lots of things are sins that does not mean they are all going to be made illegal!
    Surely Christians believe that all extramarital sex is sinful?
    They do, Gove was just putting politics before religion
    You do not speak for all Christians!
    If you asked the Pope he would give a different view and if I was taking the view of the Pope or Michael Gove as representative of Christians it would be the former
    I am no Catholic, so do not expect me to either defend or speak for the pope, but the Catholic Church has never prized Biblical literalism. Catholic teachings are based on Church tradition via the Apostolic line. Indeed for centuries Popes exterminated people for wanting to study the Bible in their own language. They were afraid that if ordinary people could read it for themselves and form their own opinions on Jesus's teachings that the Catholic Church would lose power.
    Whether ordinary people or the priesthood reading the Bible none of them can deny it states sexual activity should only take place in a heterosexual marriage
  • bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    SeanF

Clearly I am opposed to violence against children. Do you support it?
  • @HYUFD - If a gay couple are married, is it still a sin for them to have sex?

Married couples have sex?

News to me.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    ToryJim said:
    Has had some interesting things to say about the Zionists in the past as well.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

Hull West Labour shortlist

James Anthony (NHS nurse, Unison activist)
    Daren Hale (Hull Council Deputy Leader)
    Emma Hardy (former teacher now NUT officer; Hull West & Hessle CLP woman officer)
    Sarah Hayward (Camden Council Leader)
    Josh Newlove (former East Riding Cllr, Project Manager at Policy Networ, assistant to Lord Liddle)
    David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

David Prescott ta, the outright nepotism might just work against Labour.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,184
    Betfair results which make no sense:

Rotherham
    Lab 8/13
    Con 6/4

Wentworth & Dearne
    Lab 1/200
    Con 22/1

The Labour majority is smaller in Rotherham but the demographics for them are safer.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726
    bobajobPB said:

SeanF

Clearly I am opposed to violence against children. Do you support it?

Of course I do.

@HYUFD - If a gay couple are married, is it still a sin for them to have sex?

Yes, technically divorcees, homosexuals, bisexuals, adulterers and the unmarried who have sex are all committing sins unless they are in their first heterosexual marriage
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845

Emma Hardy (former teacher now NUT officer; Hull West & Hessle CLP woman officer)
    Josh Newlove (former East Riding Cllr, Project Manager at Policy Networ, assistant to Lord Liddle)
    David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

See what I mean? Nobody with a normal CV. A process designed to select nutters.
    Pulpstar said:

David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

I hope so, now I'm on at 66/1! But the Red Princes have won some areas before.
    Pulpstar said:

David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

He's already failed in his attempt to succeed his dad in Hull East.

And to get various other Labour safe seats.

He's more useless than Will Straw.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Theresa May as Home Secretary, introduced and passed legislation that made it possible for gay people to get married.

I think that's what you should judge her on.
    Yes, I judge her on that of course. I also judge her on her values. Does she consider gay sex a sin? That to me is a fair question.
    Of course she does, her father was an Anglican vicar, that does not mean she thinks it should be illegal as her vote for gay marriage proves. All of us sin at one time or another, that does not mean you deny what you did was a sin if you are religious
    Are religious beliefs passed down intact via the male line?

It seems that under 60% of self-identifying Christians believe in the Resurrection http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39153121; if they are prepared to jettison that there's no saying what remains - why would they necessarily believe in sin? So there is no "of course" about it.

I have to say my world view is being shaken to its foundations. I thought it was a given that LDs were dull but inoffensive, and finding them hanging out "No gays or Jews" signs comes as something of a surprise.
    You may or may not believe in the literal view of the Resurrection but you cannot change the definition of what the Resurrection is, just as you may or may not abstain from different sins, that does not stop them being sins
    The Bible is itself a bit contradictory over the nature of the Resurrection*, and it has been the subject of theological debate for 2 thousand years. You need to be less dogmatic in your assertions.

*Thomas knew Jesus very well, but failed to recognise him. The Apostles who met a man on the road to Emmaus failed to recognise him as Jesus too. It seems as if the resurected Jesus was very different in appearance from his pre crucifixion body. I think this ambiguity is deliberate. Was this a physical reanimation, or a spiritual rebirth, visible in other people?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845

News to me.
    Of course they do. But not necessarily at the same time...
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    There has been a strange disturbance in the force...I wonder has it come from North Korea about 5 hours ago.
  • bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

See what I mean? Nobody with a normal CV. A process designed to select nutters.
    The last chap even self describes as a barking councillor. What hope is there?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    Pulpstar said:

David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

I love the way he's the only one without any explanatory brackets!
    Y0kel said:

There has been a strange disturbance in the force...I wonder has it come from North Korea about 5 hours ago.

It seems to have come from the Middle East just over 2000 years ago.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Poor Boris? He has gotten away with so much and achieved so little.

News to me.
    Of course they do. But not necessarily at the same time...
    Husband: Why don't you tell me when you orgasm?

Wife: I hate to disturb you at work
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited April 2017

Pulpstar said:

David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

Soon fixed...

David Prescott - political comedian (best known as writer of John prescotts tweets)
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Selection is not done by CLP members but by a panel made up of

Jeremy Corbyn
    Tom Watson
    Glenis Willmott
    Andy Kerr
    Ann Black
    Diana Holland
    Jim Kennedy
    Mary Turner
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Go Green maybe but this is all ridiculous, gay marriage is legal and both Farron and May voted for it but as they are both practising Christians they cannot contradict Biblical teaching that any sex outside heterosexual marriage is a sin but then lots of things are sins that does not mean they are all going to be made illegal!
    If you asked the Pope he would give a different view and if I was taking the view of the Pope or Michael Gove as representative of Christians it would be the former
    I am no Catholic, so do not expect me to either defend or speak for the pope, but the Catholic Church has never prized Biblical literalism. Catholic teachings are based on Church tradition via the Apostolic line. Indeed for centuries Popes exterminated people for wanting to study the Bible in their own language. They were afraid that if ordinary people could read it for themselves and form their own opinions on Jesus's teachings that the Catholic Church would lose power.
    Whether ordinary people or the priesthood reading the Bible none of them can deny it states sexual activity should only take place in a heterosexual marriage
    They can and frequently do.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

News to me.
    And that's why you're divorced? :)
    I didn't put a description after David Prescott, because I assumed you know him.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,299

Pulpstar said:

If you sleep with a female slave then you need to sacrifice a ram where you had your wicked way.

If you sleep with a ram do you have to sacrifice a female slave?

BTW, Was that a line from the Lib Dem, Tory or UKIP manifesto?
    Only last week a worried ram met a Lib Dem Leader.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-lib-dem-leader-willie-10269350

I didn't put a description after David Prescott, because I assumed you know him.

Sorry I assumed that was how Labour described them. :)
    Stoke Central at 5-1 looks worth a shot. Remember Eastleigh and Corby last electoral cycle.
  • ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Test

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Theresa May as Home Secretary, introduced and passed legislation that made it possible for gay people to get married.

I think that's what you should judge her on.
    Yes, I judge her on that of course. I also judge her on her values. Does she consider gay sex a sin? That to me is a fair question.
    Of course she does, her father was an Anglican vicar, that does not mean she thinks it should be illegal as her vote for gay marriage proves. All of us sin at one time or another, that does not mean you deny what you did was a sin if you are religious
    Are religious beliefs passed down intact via the male line?

It seems that under 60% of self-identifying Christians believe in the Resurrection http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39153121; if they are prepared to jettison that there's no saying what remains - why would they necessarily believe in sin? So there is no "of course" about it.

I have to say my world view is being shaken to its foundations. I thought it was a given that LDs were dull but inoffensive, and finding them hanging out "No gays or Jews" signs comes as something of a surprise.
    You may or may not believe in the literal view of the Resurrection but you cannot change the definition of what the Resurrection is, just as you may or may not abstain from different sins, that does not stop them being sins
    The Bible is itself a bit contradictory over the nature of the Resurrection*, and it has been the subject of theological debate for 2 thousand years. You need to be less dogmatic in your assertions.

*Thomas knew Jesus very well, but failed to recognise him. The Apostles who met a man on the road to Emmaus failed to recognise him as Jesus too. It seems as if the resurected Jesus was very different in appearance from his pre crucifixion body. I think this ambiguity is deliberate. Was this a physical reanimation, or a spiritual rebirth, visible in other people?
    'They fail to recognise him until he breaks bread and gives thanks, and he then vanishes. The two go at once to Jerusalem where they find the disciples exclaiming over Jesus' appearance to Peter. As they tell their story Jesus appears to them all. They are afraid, but he invites them to touch his body, eats with them, and explains the prophecies which are fulfilled in him.'[Luke 24]
  • Notes from Devon and Cornwall...

Andrew George,LD, has announced he is standing again in St. Ives - PP have promptly moved him to the favourite at 4/6. Dan Rogerson (Cornwall North) and Stephen Gilbert (St. Austell & Newquay) are also standing again - they weren't exactly stars but neither are the current Tory MPs for those seats (Scott Mann and Steve Double) both of whom have made pratts of themselves recently. PP at 5/1. Sir Nick Harvey is also standing again in North Devon - PP at 3/1.

Personally, I am more optimistic for LD success in the SW than the polls would suggest. There is a widespread feeling that the Tories are taking the region for granted again - David Cameron's promise of rail and road improvements after the Dawlish debacle simply haven't happened. Even the normally pro-Tory 'Western Morning News' had a pop last week, arguing for LD MPs in the region to give it an independent voice and hold the the government to account. Ironically, the projected Tory landslide with no prospect of a Labour government will tempt some liberal Conservatives to do just that. The 2015 election expense investigation may also blow up in the middle of the campaign.

Devon and Cornwall are very much part of 'Leaverstan' , apart from the 'Remainia' enclaves of Exeter and the South Hams, but I think we have moved on, at least in part, from the EU referendum. Most folk have accepted the result, and the usual issues are coming back into play again. The LDs are reverting to their traditional 'Anybody but Tory' role in the SW, particulary now that UKIP is collapsing. Memories of the Coalition and tuition fees are also fading.

Ah no, the descriptions are mine because I thought some of the names were not familiar. A couple of them were not familiar to me either and I had to google them.

Sorry I assumed that was how Labour described them. :)

News to me.
    And that's why you're divorced? :)
    One of many reasons.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    On topic: if the results are anything like predicted above then the only thing the Tories will be worrying about is their voters staying at home come June 8th, thinking it's a done deal - although that much said, there's no particular reason to suppose that your average Labour voter will be mad keen to turn out under any circumstances, and turnout demographics heavily favour the Blues. Oldies are much more likely to go down to the polling station regardless of the circumstances.

I have also been undertaking a bit of an exercise in geekery, and have built a spreadsheet to study what Ukip defections could do for the Tories in their target seats and most marginal defences. As you might expect, the results are ugly for Labour: take the previous election results and apply a uniform swing of 50% of Ukip voters from Ukip to Con across the board, and 36 opposition seats - the great majority of them Labour - fall immediately to the Tories before any other movements between the parties begin to be taken into account.

Ukip defections could also help to move a lot more Tory target seats from safe to marginal, and from marginal to highly marginal, whilst moving Conservative-held seats in the opposite direction and making the Government's defence of its own territory substantially easier. Again, move 50% of 2015 Ukip votes into the Tory column, and only two of their seats - Croydon Central and Dumfriesshire - are held with majorities of less than 5%.

All of this, of course, is before you even start running down Labour's vote, and sharing out perhaps another 1.5m or more of their voters between the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats. Where might it end?
  • HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Pulpstar said:

David Prescott
    Sam Tarry (Barking Cllr)

Soon fixed...

David Prescott - political comedian (best known as writer of John prescotts tweets)
    Wait, that is a job title now?

Notes from Devon and Cornwall...

Andrew George,LD, has announced he is standing again in St. Ives - PP have promptly moved him to the favourite at 4/6. Dan Rogerson (Cornwall North) and Stephen Gilbert (St. Austell & Newquay) are also standing again - they weren't exactly stars but neither are the current Tory MPs for those seats (Scott Mann and Steve Double) both of whom have made pratts of themselves recently. PP at 5/1. Sir Nick Harvey is also standing again in North Devon - PP at 3/1.

Personally, I am more optimistic for LD success in the SW than the polls would suggest. There is a widespread feeling that the Tories are taking the region for granted again - David Cameron's promise of rail and road improvements after the Dawlish debacle simply haven't happened. Even the normally pro-Tory 'Western Morning News' had a pop last week, arguing for LD MPs in the region to give it an independent voice and hold the the government to account. Ironically, the projected Tory landslide with no prospect of a Labour government will tempt some liberal Conservatives to do just that. The 2015 election expense investigation may also blow up in the middle of the campaign.

Devon and Cornwall are very much part of 'Leaverstan' , apart from the 'Remainia' enclaves of Exeter and the South Hams, but I think we have moved on, at least in part, from the EU referendum. Most folk have accepted the result, and the usual issues are coming back into play again. The LDs are reverting to their traditional 'Anybody but Tory' role in the SW, particulary now that UKIP is collapsing. Memories of the Coalition and tuition fees are also fading.

Good luck to them* - they've got a tough task there. What did the Tory MPs do to make prats of themselves?

*Damn, again that cannot be right, 'people like me' are out to get the LDs, what's going on?
    Scott_P said:
    Akin to tying lead weights round the legs to make sure the corpse sinks.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207

AndyJS said:

Why isn't Clegg leading the LDs?

You'd be forgiven for thinking he is. Farron only gets on the telly to hop from one foot to another over gay sex.....
    Dear god - Isn't there something about "hate the sin, love the sinner"

As long as he doesn't discriminate against people does it actually matter?

edited April 2017
    Given that members won't get a vote, there are games and alliances being forged to get their preferred candidates selected in these few winnable vacant Labour seats.

See here

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-trade-unions-safe-vacant-labour-seats-carve-up-deal-tom-watson_uk_58ffb9dce4b0073d3e7a21c5?5pg

Basically
    Corbyn would get Sam Tarry in Hull West and he's pushing Kary Clark in Leigh (against Burnham's wishes ...and that explains the unusual open letter to the NEC by Bunrham in favour of the local Cllr)
    Watson would get Stephanie Peacock in Barnsley East and Ellie Reeves in Lewisham West
    And the Blairites would get Kendall's aide Mark Ferguson in Blaydon.

Let's see what the final outcome will be....

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

I am no Catholic, so do not expect me to either defend or speak for the pope, but the Catholic Church
    Hebrews 13:4
    Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

1 Corinthians 6:18
    Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,139
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Sean_F said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Does it matter, in any way? This is a trivial issue.
    It sort of is, granted. Yet when considering whether to vote for someone, you also look at values. Considering gay sex sinful is not only nuts, it is also inhumane.
    Why is it inhumane? Is he proposing to arrest anybody who has gay sex and parade them around the streets with a placard? Of course not, however that does not change the fact it is a sin just as anybody who has sex before heterosexual marriage has committed a sin or anybody who has committed adultery has committed a sin, you may not be religious and disagree with that which is fine but that does not change the definition of what is a sin in religious terms even if the sinful act is legal
    No you are conflating what the bible says with what he believes. The question was not whether the bible considers gay sex a sin (clearly it does). The question was whether he considers it a sin (he does not, as it transpires). Most Christians pick and choose from the bible - quite reasonably. Otherwise they would all beat their children with God on their side.
    He does think it is a sin, he changed his position because of political pressure and yes some Christians do still smack their children too
    What about touching the skin of an animal on the Sabbath?

Given that members won't get a vote, there are games and alliances being forged to get their preferred candidates selected in these few winnable vacant Labour seats.

See here

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-trade-unions-safe-vacant-labour-seats-carve-up-deal-tom-watson_uk_58ffb9dce4b0073d3e7a21c5?5pg

Basically
    Corbyn would get Sam Tarry in Hull West and he's pushing Kary Clark in Leigh (against Burnham's wishes ...and that explains the unusual open letter to the NEC by Bunrham in favour of the local Cllr)
    Watson would get Stephanie Peacock in Barnsley East and Ellie Reeves in Lewisham West
    And the Blairites would get Kendall's aide Mark Ferguson in Blaydon.

Let's see what the final outcome will be....

The patronage system that fucked up the Labour intakes in 2005, 2010 and 2015 is still in fashion then....
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726
    Floater said:

AndyJS said:

You'd be forgiven for thinking he is. Farron only gets on the telly to hop from one foot to another over gay sex.....

Some people will only be satisfied if Farron says he loves being buggered.
  • HYUFD said:

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body.

God knocked up a woman without her consent or without marrying her,

He's the last fucking person to lecture anyone about sexual morality.
    I am not sure Labour is in the right electoral situation to impose some strong parachuting.

Ellie Reeves in Lewisham West is the only one that makes some sense. She's a member of Lewisham Deptford CLP
    Sean_F said:

Floater said:

AndyJS said:

Some people will only be satisfied if Farron says he loves being buggered.
    I just wanted him to answer the question! He has now, thankfully. He'd been improving his airtime in the months before the GE, it'll be interesting to see how much he can still get outside of this single issue now.
  • ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    'Labour has become irrelevant just as Brexit presents a huge opportunity for national renewal' - Gisela Stuart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/labour-has-become-irrelevant-just-brexit-presents-huge-opportunity/
    (Possibly £)
    Y0kel said:

A test?

HYUFD said:

He was gentler than Zeus, I suppose.
    edited April 2017

Betfair Con to win Sunderland Central 14/1

Do not miss this

Now only 3/1.

Is that a bigger move percentage wise than Hull West ?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

Go Green maybe but this is all
    I am no Catholic, so do not expect me to either defend or speak for the pope, but the Catholic Church

Neither quote mentions homosexuality.

In much of the Bible the relationship between man and God is allegorically described as a marriage. The condemnation of adultery should be understood in this context as a lack of religious fidelity.

HYUFD said:

I believe that was the immaculate conception!
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

In much of the Bible the relationship between man and God is allegorically described as a marriage. The condemnation of adultery should be understood in this context as a lack of religious fidelity.

Could be understood, not should, surely? Each to their own (to a certain extent)
    Prodicus said:

'Labour has become irrelevant just as Brexit presents a huge opportunity for national renewal' - Gisela Stuart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/25/labour-has-become-irrelevant-just-brexit-presents-huge-opportunity/
    (Possibly £)

Why did she bugger off then?
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Impregnating a woman without her consent is called in these parts.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Prodicus said:

(Possibly £)

Why doesn't she do the decent thing ?

Prodicus said:

(Possibly £)

Why did she bugger off then?
    She was unable to make Labour relevant, despite her best efforts?
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Sean_F said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

It sort of is, granted. Yet when considering whether to vote for someone, you also look at values. Considering gay sex sinful is not only nuts, it is also inhumane.
    Why is it inhumane? Is he proposing to arrest anybody who has gay sex and parade them around the streets with a placard? Of course not, however that does not change the fact it is a sin just as anybody who has sex before heterosexual marriage has committed a sin or anybody who has committed adultery has committed a sin, you may not be religious and disagree with that which is fine but that does not change the definition of what is a sin in religious terms even if the sinful act is legal
    No you are conflating what the bible says with what he believes. The question was not whether the bible considers gay sex a sin (clearly it does). The question was whether he considers it a sin (he does not, as it transpires). Most Christians pick and choose from the bible - quite reasonably. Otherwise they would all beat their children with God on their side.
    He does think it is a sin, he changed his position because of political pressure and yes some Christians do still smack their children too
    That is more Judaism than Christianity but certainly some Orthodox Jews avoid that too

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Impregnating a woman without her consent is called in these parts.
    There was no sex involved though
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,910
    Shocked that the BBC aren't running an election night programe next week... These are surely the most important local elections for years and years?
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

former

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. (NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NIV, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11)
    surbiton said:

Prodicus said:

(Possibly £)

Why doesn't she do the decent thing ?
    Which is?
    GIN1138 said:

Shocked that the BBC aren't running an election night programe next week... These are surely the most important local elections for years and years?

Are most places counting overnight or next day?
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Next day
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The immaculate conception was of Mary by her parents, not of Jesus.
    HYUFD said:

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. (NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)

Anal and vaginal sex are very different, so I think there's wiggle room there.
    edited April 2017

Betfair Con to win Sunderland Central 14/1

Do not miss this

Now only 3/1.

Is that a bigger move percentage wise than Hull West ?
    66-1 -> 4-1 would be the more or less the same size move.
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Next day
    Ah so that's the reason.

Hope they don't do that with the general election! :(
  • rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, oral sex makes your whole day, anal sex makes your hole weak.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Next day
    Are some counting overnight? I hope at least the website will be updated in real time.
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Sean_F said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

That is more Judaism than Christianity but certainly some Orthodox Jews avoid that too
    It's in Leviticus!
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

LOL - are we now going to be discussing "potting the brown"

Next up - is 3 really the magic number :-)
  • A pun so awesome, you'd think I wrote it

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/856974833757945856

As my kids would say
    #firstworldproblem
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In Catholic theology both are immaculate, as I recall. Indeed Mary remained immaculate after the birth of Jesus. Apparently his (half) brothers were cousins.

Not that I believe Catholic theology.

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, oral sex makes your whole day, anal sex makes your hole weak.
    A joke I was once told

"describe the worst oral sex you ever had"

"Fantastic"

I know, I know - but it made me laugh at the time.

• DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Say what you like about God. When people start taking the mickey out of his Prophets because they are bald, he takes action!

2 Kings, Chapter 2
    23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!”
    24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Sean_F said:

bobajobPB said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

No you are conflating what the bible says with what he .
    It's in Leviticus!
    There are still some very religious Christians who do barely anything on a Sunday just as Orthodox Jews do barely anything on a Saturday
  • And these say gutless individuals will be shouting their Leadership credentials from the roof tops come June 09
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

If there's wiggle room, are you sure you're doing it right?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    marke09 said:
    Doncaster ought to be ashamed of themselves! :o
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was the Immaculate Conception which enabled the Virgin Birth
  • SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Pretty sure most if not all of Scotland is the next day
  • Christianity: One woman's lie about adultery that got way out of hand.
    Disraeli said:

Say what you like about God. When people start taking the mickey out of his Prophets because they are bald, he takes action!

2 Kings, Chapter 2
    23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!”
    24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Maybe the rest of the chapter provides more context for the moral lesson here?

Although, 42 boys (or more, since it doesn't say all of them were mauled) just came out of town to jeer at Elisha? Sounds to me like Bethel had a serious unemployment or lack of education problem depending on how old these boys were, and why so many had time to wander around jeering at people.
  • RobD said:

marke09 said:
    Doncaster ought to be ashamed of themselves! :o
    Get the people in from Sunderland FFS!
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/samgadjones/status/856832184459644928

Makes complete sense.

Given that the median age of the UK population as a whole is now just over 40 - and that, consequently, the median age of a voter can't be far off 50 - the Conservatives are at something of an advantage.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Betfair results which make no sense:

Rotherham
    Lab 8/13
    Con 6/4

Wentworth & Dearne
    Lab 1/200
    Con 22/1

The Labour majority is smaller in Rotherham but the demographics for them are safer.

You're right.
    edited April 2017
    Disraeli said:

2 Kings, Chapter 2

Might be a good idea for Paul Nuttall to attend church a bit more often before polling day!
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (NIV, 1st Corinthians 6:9-11)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0
    marke09 said:
    Appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.