Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looks like Mike Smithson was right about his theory about the

Comments

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Mrs May's lipstick is too red. It does her no favours. A plum colour or something softer would suit her better.

She dresses and wears make-up like someone at least 20 years younger.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Ave_it said:

Pong is correct.

Perth and Perthshire N is a nailed on Con gain

Why do you write off the SNP there? It'll be close I think.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited April 2017
    Newsnight vox pops in Barrow hilarious. Always Labour, now voting Tory because of either Brexit or Mrs May.

This is what the sense of a real Tory majority looks like. Not the ponceyboots type of 2015...
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

I think May won't get anywhere as many seats as she's expecting.

How many do you think she'll get?
    I reckon the LDs will be up to the 50s territory again. All depends on how poorly Corbyn does but I can't see many more that about 340 Tories.
    I reckon they won’t. This site is peopled with LibDem fantasists.

I think the LDs will take zero seats from Labour ( I am not convinced that any of Yardley, Bermondsey, Burnley or even Cambridge will actually fall).

I think the LDs may take 5-10 from the Tories, and possibly regain 1 or 2 of their Scottish redoubts.
    Are you mad. Cambridge with it's Leave majority is a nailed on LD gain.
    Jesus Christ, don’t you understand how the game is played?

The Labour MP in Cambridge is a prominent & enthusiastic Remainer. Whatever Corbyn says, Dan Zeichner will say "Let me be clear. When the vote on the EU comes before Parliament, my vote will reflect the overwhelming result in Cambridge – to REMAIN."

The Cambridge electorate will be presented with a Red Remainer and an Orange Remainer.

If the local election results are any guide, the Red Remainer will win.
    The one flaw with this is Labour remainers who still voted to trigger A50. That can be used against them by LDs (although I think Zeichner himself voted against A50 too so Cambridge specifically is probably safe)
    Exactly. That is why the LibDems will find it very heavy going.

Where a Labour MP has a strong remain constituency, the LibDems will find an enthusiastic Remainer MP in place.

The Libdems are past master at turning two faces to the electorate. They can hardly complain when Labour play the same game.
  • Options
    Freggles said:
    That's the 1983 Australian Labor Party option I was talking about earlier.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Catastrophic vox pop for Labour on Newsnight. TMay is gonna waltz this.

I just spoke to a died in the wool labour supporting friend in a labour marginal ...The conversation basically went fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck, I'm voting green...But you will let the Tories in....Don't fucking care that fucker Corbyn has to go.

I will put you down as a maybe?
  • Options

My prediction is that P|aid will take the Rhondda.

They took it at the Welsh Assembly elections. The Labour MP is Chris Bryant, who is not well-matched to the constituency. He may even be up against Leanne Wood.

I think the Tories will take 4 seats in the North East, all very similar demographically with low thousand majorities and large Ukip votes (Alyn & Deeside, Delyn, Wrexham and Clwyd S). This is a heavy Leave-voting area. If the Tories take one, then they’ll take all four.

I think Labour will also lose Bridgend, Ynys Mon, and perhaps one of the Newport seats.

So, I’d reckon in Wales, PC +2, Tories +5 or 6, Labour - 7 or 8.

I hope so. Bryant seems totally un-Rhonda...
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Andy cos most people in Scotland hate snp! It is one of our seats and is coming home. We might get 15 in Scotland which will be 15 more than lab. Although 5 is more likely
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited April 2017
    Mortimer said:

Newsnight vox pops in Barrow hilarious. Always Labour, now voting Tory because of either Brexit or Mrs May.

This is the sense of a real Tory majority looks like. Not the ponceyboots type of 2015...

Now Thornberry is saying Labour are going to hold the Tories to their Brexit promises, that they won't be able to deliver... preparing for opposition? Why not win the election?! :lol:
  • Options
    Barrow? We will win there by 8,000
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Most overheard/read phrase today - "the positive is it is the end of Corbyn".

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,781
    Artist said:

The Sun and Daily Mail seem to think this election will ward off the difficult Tory REMAINERS, not the Tory right. Is she going to campaign like she wants a hard Brexit and then switch down the line?

So people think, though given her actions since the referendum, I'd say the Tory remainers and soft brexiters will continue to be disappointed.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

This is the sense of a real Tory majority looks like. Not the ponceyboots type of 2015...

Now Thornberry is saying Labour are going to hold the Tories to their Brexit promises, but they won't be able to deliver... preparing for opposition?' :lol:
    Preparing for Starbucks employment more like.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Cyclefree said:

Mrs May's lipstick is too red. It does her no favours. A plum colour or something softer would suit her better.

She dresses and wears make-up like someone at least 20 years younger.
    Lipstick never looks good. Ever.

Presumably I am in a minority in feeling this way, as cosmetics persist. But I find cosmetics mildly repulsive.

I have no objection to TMay's dress sense. She's reasonably attractive, for a woman in her early sixties. She's very attractive for a prime minister.
  • Options
    'Pack of bastards...with brains', hell of an endorsement of Toryism there!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    He's a bit more optimistic for Labour than me but operating in the same ballpark.
  • Options
    I notice newsnight also went with the nobody wants an election narrative...taps mic...Sniff sniff... Fake news
  • Options
    Gin!!!!!!! No but we will win Derbyshire ne, Ashfield and Derby s
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Mortimer said:

My prediction is that P|aid will take the Rhondda.

They took it at the Welsh Assembly elections. The Labour MP is Chris Bryant, who is not well-matched to the constituency. He may even be up against Leanne Wood.

I think the Tories will take 4 seats in the North East, all very similar demographically with low thousand majorities and large Ukip votes (Alyn & Deeside, Delyn, Wrexham and Clwyd S). This is a heavy Leave-voting area. If the Tories take one, then they’ll take all four.

I think Labour will also lose Bridgend, Ynys Mon, and perhaps one of the Newport seats.

So, I’d reckon in Wales, PC +2, Tories +5 or 6, Labour - 7 or 8.

I hope so. Bryant seems totally un-Rhonda...
    I'm not sure where Bryant is suited for. All things considered, he's a bit pants.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    SeanT said:

Catastrophic vox pop for Labour on Newsnight. TMay is gonna waltz this.

Yep. Corbyn and his arrogant deluded wreckers were on the brink of destroying one of the great parties of state. May might just have saved it from complete collapse. But it's not certain.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Freggles said:
    They might as well go for it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

Mortimer said:

Now Thornberry is saying Labour are going to hold the Tories to their Brexit promises, but they won't be able to deliver... preparing for opposition?' :lol:
    That was quite a bad performance. Evan Davis was just laughing at her! She seemed to forget that if labour win, they'll be in charge!!
  • Options
    isam said:

Mortimer said:

Now Thornberry is saying Labour are going to hold the Tories to their Brexit promises, that they won't be able to deliver... preparing for opposition? Why not win the election?! :lol:
    She always sounds like she is being sarky to me.

Wonder if she'll go flag spotting this time around?
  • Options
    And the three Nottingham seats. But not Leicester
  • Options

He's a bit more optimistic for Labour than me but operating in the same ballpark.
    Not sure why he/she isn't using percentages instead of votes.
  • Options
    I love how far leftists are convinced, utterly convinced, that the reason people don't like Corbyn is the media and establishment will not allow them to. Why do they think people are so easily brainwashed?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Mortimer said:

That was quite a bad performance. Evan Davis was just laughing at her! She seemed to forget that if labour win, they'll be in charge!!
    Billy bunter on sky earlier couldn't get through a segment on what if corbyn wins without bursting into laugther.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    AnneJGP said:

surbiton said:
    Seems to me you're really saying "I don't agree with her politics". It's an odd way to put it.
    He was mocking a dyslexic for being a dyslexic the other day, so this​ is par for the course.

If he wants to make it about personal appearance you'd think at the very least he'd put up a proper avatar pic of himself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I love how far leftists are convinced, utterly convinced, that the reason people don't like Corbyn is the media and establishment will not allow them to. Why do they think people are so easily brainwashed?

Personal experience....?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    AndyJS said:

Not sure why he/she isn't using percentages instead of votes.
    Andy, can I suggest that you plug the spreadsheet that you prepared after the last election showing the party vote shares tabulated by constituency? It's a great piece of work and I've been spending a lot of time on it today.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Corbyn supporter Paul Mason "can't wait" for the election to happen. "Labour will win" he says.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

kle4 said:

Personal experience....?
    Guffaw. Quite.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,316
    AndyJS said:

Freggles said:
    How about Operation Ten-Go from almost exactly 72 years ago? :)
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    Mortimer said:

This is what the sense of a real Tory majority looks like. Not the ponceyboots type of 2015...

Indeed , May really appeals to the core Labour WWC vote , think part of it is an anti posh boy swing , Tories should stick the 2nd woman on a broadcast, couldn't have summed up any better, "she cares about what ordinary people, normal people who go to work 9-5"

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/854457867470065664
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn supporter Paul Mason "can't wait" for the election to happen.

He is convinced the country wants a progressive alliance.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    A bit of a contrast from the Scottish DM

https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/854461315909386241
  • Options

hts://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/854461315909386241

Ha. It's like it is happening in a different world.
  • Options

Given the red lipstick insight we have just witnessed, is it time to analyse the appropriateness of Nicola's red shoes?
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Given the red lipstick insight we have just witnessed, is it time to analyse the appropriateness of Nicola's red shoes?
    Surprised the Mail didn't state they don't do her legs any favours ;-)
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Ha! Indeed.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    I suppose there are a few still on here who, like me, this will be the 4th pb.com GE campaign.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

kle4 said:

htt://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/854449280865767425

Any chance that'll turn a few Tory votes red or yellow? Jesus christ.

And why emphasise the Lords bit? They didn't block Brexit, and stressing the 'unelected' bit suggests that itself is a problem, and May intends to abolish them.
    The unelected Mrs May complaining about the unelected Lords did break my irony meter.
    She is an elected MP, and nobody bothered standing against her after Loathsome dropped out.
    Under the Conservatives' leadership electoral systems from 1965 through to 1999, May would have been a clear winner on the second round at the latest and in reality, probably the first: something which no other new leader managed. (She received exactly 50% of the Con MPs' support in the first round, which might not have been enough in theory but in practice, other candidates would have withdrawn given that she was just 1 MP short of winning).

The idea that May had no mandate from her party is to suggest that Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher and Major had no mandate either.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    Trump wishes British people ‘best of luck’ in snap election

https://www.ft.com/content/9da7d9ac-5020-3f1c-a0b2-ef26c9aa62c0

Seems odd the PM needs to call the POTUS to inform him she's planning on having an election. Is it a protocol thing? Or related to his visit officially planned for june? I thought that was rescheduled to july/august anyway?

Strange.
  • Options
    Tony said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed , May really appeals to the core Labour WWC vote , think part of it is an anti posh boy swing , Tories should stick the 2nd woman on a broadcast, couldn't have summed up any better, "she cares about what ordinary people, normal people who go to work 9-5"

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/854457867470065664
    Bang on. No Tory has even got close to swaying these voters since Thatcher.

Remarkable that the Posh boys won a slim majority; they were clearly holding the party back. Just wait for this majority...
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Must have been inspired by TSE's red shoes :lol:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited April 2017
    Chris_A said:

I suppose there are a few still on here who, like me, this will be the 4th pb.com GE campaign.

I think I found PB during the 2005 election campaign. Not sure how exactly

Bring back the smiling Gordons!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:
    They discuss a lot of things, but if they had no balls to do it before, what benefit now? It wouldn't work, and would just give the man an excuse. Who are these mythical MPs who text Dan Hodges about every thought that crosses through their skulls?
    And, once again they need a half, or possibly quarter decent candidate as a semi-credible alternative.
  • Options
    Hoping for some good PEBs - I loved the Green Party musical one last time.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

I reckon the LDs will be up to the 50s territory again. All depends on how poorly Corbyn does but I can't see many more that about 340 Tories.

I think the LDs will take zero seats from Labour ( I am not convinced that any of Yardley, Bermondsey, Burnley or even Cambridge will actually fall).

I think the LDs may take 5-10 from the Tories, and possibly regain 1 or 2 of their Scottish redoubts.
    Jesus Christ, don’t you understand how the game is played?

The Labour MP in Cambridge is a prominent & enthusiastic Remainer. Whatever Corbyn says, Dan Zeichner will say "Let me be clear. When the vote on the EU comes before Parliament, my vote will reflect the overwhelming result in Cambridge – to REMAIN."

The Cambridge electorate will be presented with a Red Remainer and an Orange Remainer.

If the local election results are any guide, the Red Remainer will win.
    The one flaw with this is Labour remainers who still voted to trigger A50. That can be used against them by LDs (although I think Zeichner himself voted against A50 too so Cambridge specifically is probably safe)
    It made no difference to saving individual Lib Dem MPs in 2015 whether they voted to freeze tuition fees or not.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The left have staked the future of the Labour Party on Corbyn. The onus is now on him to deliver.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Andy cos most people in Scotland hate snp! It is one of our seats and is coming home. We might get 15 in Scotland which will be 15 more than lab. Although 5 is more likely

15?! I'd have thought that high single figures should be the absolute limit of realistic SCon ambitions.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

bobajobPB said:

Never mind the election - who won the elegtion!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

What I found remarkable about the vox pops in general on the media today was that there was no sense of a contest about the election. A Con win is practically taken for granted. That might be very dangerous for the Tories. But then again, it might be just as dangerous for Labour.
  • Options
    Re Con target seats, I did have an internal Party discussion this evening about whether we should target Hemsworth. Issue left open for now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hoping for some good PEBs - I loved the Green Party musical one last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgS7p40ERg

Catchy - I hope they top it.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Mortimer said:

What I found remarkable about the vox pops in general on the media today was that there was no sense of a contest about the election. A Con win is practically taken for granted. That might be very dangerous for the Tories. But then again, it might be just as dangerous for Labour.
    I think the Tories need to work hard to play up the threat of the chaos that would result from a hung parliament, especially some "progressive alliance" led by Corbyn.

I would be shocked if Lynton hasn't got a plan for this. He is lots of things, but he ain't stupid and extremely effective.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    RobD said:

Chris_A said:

I think I found it in 2003 or 2004. Can't remember which.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Mortimer said:

In 2001 it mainly depressed turnout all round. Wonder if that will be the case this time.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Ave_it said:

15?! I'd have thought that high single figures should be the absolute limit of realistic SCon ambitions.
    This is Ave it, right?
  • Options
    Chris yes 4 for me!

David - I will take the high single figure now! Which will be a high single figure more than lab
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Smiling Gordons was 2007. Blair was still leading Labour in 2005.

Blair is of course the only Labour leader to win an election in the last 40 years. They've had eight leaders in that time (seven of whom fought at least one election).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris_A said:

I found this site in the run-up to the 2009 Euros. I was Googling "UK opinion polls" at the time.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

It's bad for turnout, that's for sure. Could be down to 60% again.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Blair is of course the only Labour leader to win an election in the last 40 years. They've had eight leaders in that time (seven of whom fought at least one election).
    Of course, but it was a feature of the site in the olden days!
  • Options

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

I found this site in the run-up to the 2009 Euros. I was Googling "UK opinion polls" at the time.
    2010 GE for me. I had entered the workforce for the first time, but it was a job placement in the sense of 'get them off the unemployment figures' with no actual work for me to do, so I had a lot of browsing time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

2010 GE for me. I had entered the workforce for the first time, but it was a job placement in the sense of 'get them off the unemployment figures' with no actual work for me to do, so I had a lot of browsing time.
    Hopefully things have changed since then....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Of course, but it was a feature of the site in the olden days!
    What would we have this time? Murderous Theresas?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

It's bad for turnout, that's for sure. Could be down to 60% again.
    Unfortunate - historical trend was still down, but it was good that the line had been going back up the last few times.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

Hopefully things have changed since then....
    Oh yes - its good multitasking that permits more browsing now.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I found myself having to defend Tories tonight in a pub discussion. A guy said ' There are only two good things about Tories - burying them and burning them!'. I laughed but indicated I could not go quite that far.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I found myself having to defend Tories tonight in a pub discussion. A guy said ' There are only two good things about Tories - burying them and burning them!'. I laughed but indicated I could not go quite that far.

Where is the line? Hanging them?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

2010 GE for me too, really wanted Brown out and was astonished when he held the tories to a minority.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Voter in Barrow: "Tories are a pack of brats but they have brains. Might vote for them."
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Whatever happened to Paul Mason - wasn't he once a big shot on Newsnight?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Quite like the slogan doing the rounds on Labour Facebook.

"Make June the end of May."

• Options

AndyJS said:

Whatever happened to Paul Mason - wasn't he once a big shot on Newsnight?
    He had a midlife crisis, said he couldn't lie to the nation anymore....and now a freelance journalist / activist / playwrite.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I think the Tories need to work hard to play up the threat of the chaos that would result from a hung parliament, especially some "progressive alliance" led by Corbyn.

I would be shocked if Lynton hasn't got a plan for this. He is lots of things, but he ain't stupid and extremely effective.
    He is sometimes, but not always, effective. 2005 GE. London Mayor 2016. He certainly ain't stupid, and has an open goal to aim at, but he is not all-powerful.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Very measured. A family member once opined to me that so long as they were allowed to hunt down Tories, they were totally fine with hunting being legal. Worst I've heard in the opposite direction was disdain for the 'great unwashed', but I'm sure others go further.

Always good to get confirmation others are even more partisan than ourselves!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

He is sometimes, but not always, effective. 2005 GE. London Mayor 2016. He certainly ain't stupid, and has an open goal to aim at, but he is not all-powerful.
    Zac Goldsmith was f##king awful...like really really awful....he went from disaster to disaster in that campaign...in a Labour city and against an opponent that didn't make any missteps.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Chris_A said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

No it is not.
  • Options
    Yes three quidder it is me! But bed time now. But from tomorrow and every night - Ave it live commentary on the most important election since 1066! Goodnight all
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    malcolmg said:

What happened to TGOHF, I have yet to hear from him re whether he would back up his ridiculous mince about SNP losing more than 10 setas. I see he like most frothers is all mouth and no trousers, no backbone to back up his garbage and bet on it.

I think that it is perfectly plausible that the SNP will lose more than ten seats at this GE.
  • Options
    So has that rule about major things happening whole OGH is on holiday been transferred to Keiran Pedley?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Quite like the slogan doing the rounds on Labour Facebook.

"Make June the end of May."

In April, May wanted June.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    nunu said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Chris_A said:

2010 GE for me too, really wanted Brown out and was astonished when he held the tories to a minority.
    I found the site at the Cheadle by-election just after the 2005 election - also significantly under-utilised by my employer at the time!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Just catching up on Mrs Bucket interview on Newsnight...she couldn't even do the maths of 2017 - 2008....apparently that is 7 years.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Chris_A said:

Amazed there's still over £15k available on 2017 at 1.01 on Betfair. Not a bad return for one day's deposit.

If 1/3 of MPs have to deal with urgent constituency issues, are we sure she'd do the full no-confidence-yourself thing?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Ave_it said:

Yes three quidder it is me! But bed time now. But from tomorrow and every night - Ave it live commentary on the most important election since 1066! Goodnight all

Hope you'll be setting up social media accounts + A YouTube channel? :D
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

Zac Goldsmith was f##king awful...like really really awful....he went from disaster to disaster in that campaign...in a Labour city and against an opponent that didn't make any missteps.
    Indeed. Proving a good campaign manager can't rescue a poor candidate. Of course, I would surmise (even as a Labour voter) that May will be a better campaigner than Corbyn will (by some distance), but that has yet to be proved. And I realise that is straw clutching!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017

Re Con target seats, I did have an internal Party discussion this evening about whether we should target Hemsworth. Issue left open for now.

David, if you don't mind me asking (similarly any other Tories in the know) - who is writing the manifesto right now? What's the process? how much power does the 1922 have?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The Scots are very lucky

Referendum 2014
    General Election 2015
    Holyrood Elections 2016
    Local Elections & General Election 2017
    Second referendum 2018 or 19.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed. Proving a good campaign manager can't rescue a poor candidate. Of course, I would surmise (even as a Labour voter) that May will be a better campaigner than Corbyn will (by some distance), but that has yet to be proved. And I realise that is straw clutching!
    I don't think May will have any serious car crashes. Inspirational campaigner, absolutely not. But they will just point at the alternative swerving all over the road, crashing into every car on the road and say you want him instead.

Hence why no tv debates etc.

I don't think that will be enough to get these crazy landslides of 100+, but 50-60 majority without any trouble.

IMO it needs to be enough to ensure Corbyn and his fellow travellers are ejected from the position of power within the Labour Party for good, but not too great to give May a total blank cheque to do absolutely anything she wants.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    I found PB during the 2005 general election but I didn't dare start posting until the 2006 local elections.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Interesting from Anthony Wells on UKPR:

"The local elections will still go ahead at the start of May. It’s been a long time since that happened – in recent decades general elections have normally been held on the same day as the local elections – but it’s not unprecedented. In 1983 and 1987 the local elections were in May and the general elections followed in June. Notably they were really NOT a good predictor of the general election a month later. Comparing the Rallings & Thrasher estimates for the local elections those years with the subsequent general elections, in the 1983 local elections the Conservatives were ahead by 3 points… they won the general election the next month by 14 points. In the 1987 local elections the Conservatives were ahead by 6 points, in the general election a month later they were ahead by 11 points. In both cases the SDP-Liberal Alliance did much better in the locals than the general a month later."

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    AndyJS said:

Voter in Barrow: "Tories are a pack of brats but they have brains. Might vote for them."

The Barrow interviews gave an extremely strong impression (and I find it hard to believe that Newsnight is spinning on behalf of the Tories) that May will pay no price at all, indeed quite the contrary, for her volte face on calling a snap election.
    Even the (quite possibly temporary) recovery in real wages will work in her favour.

Of course the better she does with non-traditional Tory voters, the more prospect for severe disillusion in five years' time, but that is probably of little concern to her now.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Just downright evil possibly!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Just downright evil possibly!
    Not sure I would have him around for dinner....he might stick a dead cat on my dinner table !!!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Pong said:

David, if you don't mind me asking (similarly any other Tories in the know) - who is writing the manifesto right now? What's the process? how much power does the 1922 have?
    Good question. I would guess that it will be made as brief as possible (both process and manifesto). Given the time constraints, how many can be involved anyway ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pong said:

Good question. I would guess that it will be made as brief as possible (both process and manifesto). Given the time constraints, how many can be involved anyway ?
    Perhaps it will simply read....Brexit means Brexit...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Very measured. A family member once opined to me that so long as they were allowed to hunt down Tories, they were totally fine with hunting being legal. Worst I've heard in the opposite direction was disdain for the 'great unwashed', but I'm sure others go further.

Always good to get confirmation others are even more partisan than ourselves!
    I also know of someone who wnated to donate blood but who declined to do so when his conditions were ruled to be unacceptable. He wanted a label applied to his donation stipulating 'Not to be given to Tory voters'. That is absolutely true!
This discussion has been closed.