Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looks like Mike Smithson was right about his theory about the

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Cathy Newman‏ @cathynewman
    For fourth time @timfarron struggled to give me a clear answer on if it's true he believes homosexuality is sinful #C4News #GeneralElection

That is one big fucking weakness, if he was some right wing candidate then it might fly but he is supposed to be soft left,
    Reminds me of Rigsby in Rising Damp.

"Legal? It'll be compulsory next!"
    One of the great sins of my life that I have watched little RIsing Damp. Always preferred BBC sitcoms from the 70's, but then most ITV ones were things like Robin's Nest.
    *Shudders*
    The inter-action between Rigsby and the black man (name I forget) was masterful. If you can catch it on youtube you won't regret it.
    Don Warrington was the actor IIRC, recently in Death in Paradise (a secret vice of mine).
    Frances de la Tour also fantastic in that programme. And Leonard Rossiter was one of the greatest comic actors of any time and place.
    The first three series of Rising Damp were classic... The final series... Not so much. Definitely seemed to go on one series too many.
  • Options

On reflection hurrah for Mrs May and GE 2017, watching the re-runs of GE 2015 had seen them 'age' rather quickly and having watched that coverage through once or twice - a refreshed election night to watch and savour does appeal now.

Who will be the fat arse we can celebrate their demise this time? Who will be the beligerent Balls refuting suggestions he's lost his seat? Where will be Nuneaton?

I'm moving to Chingford and Woodford Green for the campaign, and campaigning for the Labour candidate so I can see IDS lose.

I'll be editing PB on general election night, and I'll headline it as 'Tory gain as IDS loses his seat'
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

For fourth time @timfarron struggled to give me a clear answer on if it's true he believes homosexuality is sinful #C4News #GeneralElection

This is why Mrs May should do the debate, get Farron on this topic, then remind the world it was Mrs May as Home Secretary that made same sex marriage legal.
    If Mr Farron does believe it to be sinful, all he has to say is that since believes it is sinful then he himself will not commit that sin but he will not attempt to enforce that view on others since their lives are theirs to live as they see fit. His opinion is personal matter only for him. Issue defused.
    One of my friend's father is a very devout Christian, he openly admits homosexuality is an abomination/sex, but then says if God really didn't like homosexuals, he'd stop creating them, so up to that point, he'll treat homosexuals with the same respect he treats heterosexuals.
    So by the same argument, God must like murderers, rapists and child abusers. Daft bugger.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

On reflection hurrah for Mrs May and GE 2017, watching the re-runs of GE 2015 had seen them 'age' rather quickly and having watched that coverage through once or twice - a refreshed election night to watch and savour does appeal now.

Who will be the fat arse we can celebrate their demise this time? Who will be the beligerent Balls refuting suggestions he's lost his seat? Where will be Nuneaton?

I'm moving to Chingford and Woodford Green for the campaign, and campaigning for the Labour candidate so I can see IDS lose.

I'll be editing PB on general election night, and I'll headline it as 'Tory gain as IDS loses his seat'
    IDS will lose, but not in the way you think.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

This is why Mrs May should do the debate, get Farron on this topic, then remind the world it was Mrs May as Home Secretary that made same sex marriage legal.
    I know, she persuaded Mrs May, and Mrs May delivered.
    Wow, she invented same sex marriage? "From my head to becoming the law" :D
    Unfortunate last sentence phrasing but we get your thrust .... as it were ....
  • Options

If Mr Farron does believe it to be sinful, all he has to say is that since believes it is sinful then he himself will not commit that sin but he will not attempt to enforce that view on others since their lives are theirs to live as they see fit. His opinion is personal matter only for him. Issue defused.
    One of my friend's father is a very devout Christian, he openly admits homosexuality is an abomination/sex, but then says if God really didn't like homosexuals, he'd stop creating them, so up to that point, he'll treat homosexuals with the same respect he treats heterosexuals.
    So by the same argument, God must like murderers, rapists and child abusers. Daft bugger.
    I think he's more hate the sin, love the sinner.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

You're taking the likely retirement of George Osborne MP very hard.

• Options
    davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    Serious question. How bad could this turn out for Labour? The north London cabal of morons; Corbyn, Einstein Lammy, Kfc Abbott and Fourbellies are nailed on safe, but if Corbyn really drops some spectacular clangers where could the carnage end? Scotland is gone. The midlands are 95% history, Wales has got to have the potential for total disaster. His muzzie block vote and the cretinous sheep who put him in place will die for him. But what's the floor? 175? 150? 125? Is there a floor? He's is the most useless leader of any major party in a hundred years.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

you have an almost Ulsterlike attachment to a grudge.

I may need to buy you a bowler hat
  • Options
    IDS is instant TV turn off - the tory Jack Dromey.

Still today's news means the coming of Labour's saviour has accelerated.

The Burgon ultimatum.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Surely "if God really didn't like xes, he'd stop creating them" is equally valid for all values of x, such as serial killers and human traffickers? i.e. it's a crap argument?

I wouldn't myself vote for a politician who let it be known that he classified anything as "sinful"; not since those devout godbotherers George n Tony prayed together over their righteous decision to bomb the shit out of a lot of brownies.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Has Corbyn had a bang to the head? Is he intellectually sub-normal in some way?

@paulwaugh: PLP debating how party should vote on May motion. I've been told several Lab MPs will abstain tmrw (cos same as voting against)

@paulwaugh: Corbyn tells MPs: we have to support May dissolution motion cos anything else is supporting a Tory govt. "Simple as that"

He really must be a Tory mole. Or the most stupid MP at Westminster (sorry Pete)
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I regard religion, especially proselytising, evangelical religion as an abomination and it is all God's fault. :D:D
  • Options

I have a bowler hat.
  • Options
    Shadsy's seat bands for Labour:
    Under 100
    7/1
    100-149
    3/1
    150-199
    7/4
    200-249
    4/1
    250-299
    8/1
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited April 2017
    Chameleon said:

Jesus Christ, if there's one thing that will put potential Lib Dem voters off it's their leader having homophobic views.
    Are Lib Dems somehow unaware that Farron is a God-botherer?
  • Options

I have a bowler hat.
    that explains a lot
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,254
    edited April 2017
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: PLP debating how party should vote on May motion. I've been told several Lab MPs will abstain tmrw (cos same as voting against)

@paulwaugh: Corbyn tells MPs: we have to support May dissolution motion cos anything else is supporting a Tory govt. "Simple as that"

He really must be a Tory mole. Or the most stupid MP at Westminster (sorry Pete)

He got two Es at A level at Adams Grammar and failed a polytechnic course.

He also thinks Diane Abbott is the right person to speak for Labour today.

Your point was again?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    kle4 said:

Wait, does this mean Ken Livingstone won't be allowed to campaign with the official Labour teams because he's still suspended? Shame.

I thought he was appealing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    glw said:

Chameleon said:

Jesus Christ, if there's one thing that will put potential Lib Dem voters off it's their leader having homophobic views.
    Not for long....
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I have a bowler hat.

Is it red?

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

God, as if he couldn't be any more of a numpty.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I see sky data polling is also backing Mrs may decision. Me think uncle Lynton knew this already.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

Shadsy's seat bands for Labour:
    Under 100
    7/1
    100-149
    3/1
    150-199
    7/4
    200-249
    4/1
    250-299
    8/1

150-199 looks quite generous to my eyes?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    RobD said:

glw said:

Chameleon said:

Not for long....
    The congregation of the church of May will certainly be unaware. It might make them wonder if the Lib Dems are worth a second look.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited April 2017

Iain is a good man who understands that some things are more
    important than politics and power. A lesson all ex chancellors could do with being reminded of.
  • Options

I have a bowler hat.
    that explains a lot
    I went to a Christmas fancy dress party, where the theme was the movies, so I went as Oddjob's brother Blow.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Sean_F said:

I doubt if that will be a major issue in this election.
    It's the sort of thing that an avowedly right-on 18-24 year old Guardian/Indy reading student might get vexed about.

I recall many adverse comments about it, and him, in the days before Brexit consumed everything.
    I would hope it was the sort of thing a normal human being might get vexed about. Have we timewarped back to the 1950s?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,687
    14m
    Paul Brand‏ @PaulBrandITV
    Chris Bryant calls for Jeremy Corbyn not to take part in election debates if Theresa May isn't present as it just gives publicity to others
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Your point was again?

Why is he allowed out on his own?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

kle4 said:

Wait, does this mean Ken Livingstone won't be allowed to campaign with the official Labour teams because he's still suspended? Shame.

You're the only person who does....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Facepalm!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

IDS is instant TV turn off - the tory Jack Dromey.

Still today's news means the coming of Labour's saviour has accelerated.

The Burgon ultimatum.

IDS is awful, but you'd like to trust the man. Dromey is much the same, but less strong on the latter.

Burgon is just sub-human.
  • Options

kle4 said:

You're the only person who does....
    Boom tish...
  • Options

I have a bowler hat.
    that explains a lot
    I went to a Christmas fancy dress party, where the theme was the movies, so I went as Oddjob's brother Blow.
    you could have gone as the randy Paisleyite in Cockwork Orange
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091

On the 'most surprising possible gain for the Conservatives' question discussed earlier I nominate Sedgefield.

You're not the first PBer to make that suggestion today.

In 1997 Labour took Thatcher's old seat, so there's precedent.
    I thought of the Finchley precedent as well.

Do you think Clegg will stand again ?
    Clegg's confirmed he's standing, as has Vince Cable.
    Thanks.

I wonder if Cable standing will make RCS think again about the LibDems winning Twickenham.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I would hope it was the sort of thing a normal human being might get vexed about. Have we timewarped back to the 1950s?

Not yet. March 2019.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Will Arron Banks keep his deposit?

No. Most people don't know who he is.
    And those that do certainly won't vote for him
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I have a bowler hat.
    that explains a lot
    you could have gone as the randy Paisleyite in Cockwork Orange
    That's a quality typo....
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

I have a bowler hat.
    that explains a lot
    Were you aware of the Norwegian parody film, in which the bodyguard is a woman powerlifter called Blow Job?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_Buljo
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

For once, Corbyn is right. You cannot possibly say a Tory Government is a wicked thing, crushing the poor and disabled under foot, then vote against a General Election. It may well be that it is a personal tragedy and a disaster for his party. But the response he gave was the only one open to him.
  • Options
    Leicester score 1 -2
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I see sky is also pushing this voter fatigue meme...Despite their own polling saying no.

It's like the bbc and sky London liberal elite are out of touch with the public...
  • Options

I have a bowler hat.
    that explains a lot
    I have a large floppy straw hat with a big pink flower. So much more chic than a bowler...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    On a lighter note I've been reading up on witch trials in central Scotland - which it turns out was the witch hunting capital of Europe - you were 4 times more likely to be accused of being a witch in this area than the European average:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_trials_in_early_modern_Scotland
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    IDS is hovering over a 47.9% vote share in Chingford and Woodford Green. Not really worth moving South to remove him.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Scott_P said:

For once, Corbyn is right. You cannot possibly say a Tory Government is a wicked thing, crushing the poor and disabled under foot, then vote against a General Election. It may well be that it is a personal tragedy and a disaster for his party. But the response he gave was the only one open to him.
    There were other options, though they were more difficult to make convincingly.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You are Jeremy Corbyn and I claim my £5
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    30 minutes left for two goals, so still staggeringly unlikely. If they score again this will be a thrilling finish though....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    calum said:

On a lighter note I've been reading up on witch trials in central Scotland - which it turns out was the witch hunting capital of Europe - you were 4 times more likely to be accused of being a witch in this area than the European average:

I believe malcolmg has identified a few.
  • Options

On the 'most surprising possible gain for the Conservatives' question discussed earlier I nominate Sedgefield.

Thanks.

I wonder if Cable standing will make RCS think again about the LibDems winning Twickenham.
    There's quite a few Tory MPs pissed off that this snap election doesn't give them the full five year incumbency bonus.

The Crosby Textor Fullbrook polls showed that Twickenham might be a Lib Dem gain, I reckon Cable helps the Lib Dems retake it.
  • Options
    calum said:

Interesting - I knew there were into it more than England, but didn't realise they placed so high across all Europe.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882

Thanks.

Labour voters need to tactically vote for him this time. Over 7000 voted Labour in Twickenham in 2015.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

On topic, aren't the CPS "considering" charges against more than 30 individuals because local police forces have submitted to the CPS reports on more than 30 individuals? It doesn't mean there will necessarily be a single charge flowing. Although, on here it does seem to be de rigeur to assume the guilt of people not yet even charged....

Quite so.

There again, there are some dorks on here who are blaming Theresa May for a court judgement where the judge said:

"The breaches themselves, if not trivial, are at a very low end of the scale and something which the court would be very loathed to send Ms Baker to prison for, if anything else could possibly work but this court cannot simply give repeat injunctions and allow people to go continuing begging, continuing to persist in a nuisance to the population, without some real teeth being given to the injunction."

I've no idea whether the judge was right, or not, but you really do have to carry partisan blindness to a quite spectacular degree to blame the PM for his judgement.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

I see sky is also pushing this voter fatigue meme...Despite their own polling saying no.

It's like the bbc and sky London liberal elite are out of touch with the public...

Is there any civilised life outside the M25?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I like this retread idea for MPs - it's literally asking them within 2 years, 'are you sure you mean to do that?'
  • Options

calum said:

I believe malcolmg has identified a few.
    I think he's just started the Great Scottish Witch Hunt of 2017 - I wonder where Farron nets out on witchcraft - maybe Carmichael will help out !!
  • Options
    Couple of chances they might have grabbed there for Leicester. Might not be their night, but well done for having a go.
  • Options

Tezza this morning said the reason she was calling this election was because the opposition in Parliament were making her life too hard.

All he had to do was agree with her.

"We will continure to oppose the Government in ways that will cause the PM to moderate her stance"

What a plonker
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Exclaves in Brighton and Bristol.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Edinburgh?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Any markets on the total number of seats for the lib dems?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I got halfway through typing a post to the same effect but then thought, 'WTF. She is so not worth even commenting on'

Everyone has tons of wonderful ideas. There is and has never been a shortage of wonderful ideas. The value accrues to those who take it from the drawing board to implementation. That is where both the skill and the sweat come in.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Agreed. He was trapped by his - and his party's - inflamed rhetoric. "The Tories eat babies! - but we want the baby eating to continue while we are having an internal debate about reselections"

Not very sellable. Labour have no choice but to agree to an election.

What? Since when did being consistent become an attribute of Corbynism? Surely the whole cult depends on not questioning anything the glorious leader says no matter how barking it is? History exists only for rewriting!!!
  • Options

Thanks.

There's quite a few Tory MPs pissed off that this snap election doesn't give them the full five year incumbency bonus.

The Crosby Textor Fullbrook polls showed that Twickenham might be a Lib Dem gain, I reckon Cable helps the Lib Dems retake it.
    Waiting to 2020 would have meant some Conservative MPs would have problems finding a seat while others would lose some of the incumbency through boundary changes.

And those former Labour MPs who stood again in 2015 mostly flopped.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

IDS is hovering over a 47.9% vote share in Chingford and Woodford Green. Not really worth moving South to remove him.

The demographics of his constituency are changing, not to his advantage, but not so dramatically in just two years.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Agreed. He was trapped by his - and his party's - inflamed rhetoric. "The Tories eat babies! - but we want the baby eating to continue while we are having an internal debate about reselections"

What? Since when did being consistent become an attribute of Corbynism? Surely the whole cult depends on not questioning anything the glorious leader says no matter how barking it is? History exists only for rewriting!!!
    Its meant to be an attribute of Corbyn, who's appeal boils down to being 'different' from other politicians, and utterly consistent in his principles.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.

At one level I agree with that, but then I recall that the broadcasters failed to do this in the past when election debates were being mooted.As far back as 1966 the leaders failed to agree the terms of any debates, and this continued throughout the elections dominated by Thatcher, Major and Blair.There was an acceptance that the parties had the option of imposing a veto when it suited their interests. On what basis can the broadcasters seek now to impose their wishes on an unwilling part leader?
    The broadcasters wish to invite party leaders to a debate. One party leader seeks to invalidate the debates.

Ergo :

If I invite some LibDems to view the dungeons of Auchentennach Castle and all but Mark Senior agree that such an educational and gastronomic tour de force is preferable to a lecture on the merits of bar charts, then with regret Mark doesn't get a veto.
    Indeed- but surely the broadcasters could be accused of failling to act consistently given their past failure to empty chair Wilson , Heath, Thatcher, Major & Blair?
    It's a view mi lud ....

Now Prime Minister .. You previously clearly stated a general election was not in the national interest. When exactly this weekend, after noting the 20+ point poll leads, did you change your mind?
    Call my a cynic, but I think the British people will have a sneaking respect for a politician who so nakedly pursues power for its own sake, when given the opportunity.

It's when you bottle it, like Brown, that it becomes a negative.

Personally speaking, I rather WANT a devious, ruthless, lying, clever, hard-to-call bitch playing Britain's hand in the upcoming EU poker tournament.
    On the timing you are correct.

On the principle of the PM effectively retaining the ability to call an election at will I take the opposite line. Whether the PM has a decent poker hand to play is open to question. I tend to the view that the government and EU are playing different games to entirely different audiences but both may either win or lose their respective games to different degrees.

Completely confusing and utterly unpredictable.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Its meant to be an attribute of Corbyn, who's appeal boils down to being 'different' from other politicians, and utterly consistent in his principles.

The only principle he is entirely consistent in is being completely and utterly shit at politics.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

I got halfway through typing a post to the same effect but then thought, 'WTF. She is so not worth even commenting on'

Everyone has tons of wonderful ideas. There is and has never been a shortage of wonderful ideas. The value accrues to those who take it from the drawing board to implementation. That is where both the skill and the sweat come in.
    She did that as well. Of course some more powerful people helped it along, but credit to her for winning their backing in the first place.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Edinburgh?
    Only in Morningside !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

The only principle he is entirely consistent in is being completely and utterly shit at politics.
    Just at politics?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    The only annoying thing about the snap election is that I won't have as much time as I wanted to work on my prediction methodology. But FWIW I currently have Con 370, Lab 192, LD 9, Grn/UKIP both holding 1. Although I expect by election day LD will be a fair bit higher and UKIP losing Clacton.
  • Options
    calum said:

murali_s said:

Edinburgh?
    Only in Morningside !
    I stayed in Morningside in the early sixties
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    IanB2 said:

dr_spyn said:

The demographics of his constituency are changing, not to his advantage, but not so dramatically in just two years.
    Might pose problems for his eventual successor, but on current polling IDS is highly likely to be a sitting MP from June 9th.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tezza this morning said the reason she was calling this election was because the opposition in Parliament were making her life too hard.

All he had to do was agree with her.

"We will continure to oppose the Government in ways that will cause the PM to moderate her stance"

What a plonker
    "And if she doesn't like it she can blame her manipulative twat of a predecessor for the FTPA".

I agree: that would put Tezz in a fix, with no obvious downside for Jezz.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Well then, he would have been better keeping the govt on a small majority where he might stand a chance of defeating them as opposed to trying to defeat them on 50 or 60+ majorities were they can simply pass any policy they like whilst Labour stand by watching helplessly.

The man's a fool.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ha! I think he's a disaster... I just don't see, here, what he can possibly do. The Fixed Terms Parliament Act was primarily to enable, where a coalition breaks down, an alternative Government to be formed without the outgoing PM preventing that.

For an opposition to a majority Government to say, as SeanT says, "let the baby eating continue until we've got our sh1t together" is ludicrous. Where I depart from Sean is that I don't think it's only because Corbyn is aggressive in his anti Tory rhetoric... same would have been the case in 2008 say had Act been in place then and Tories called upon by new PM Brown.
  • Options

Thanks.

Waiting to 2020 would have meant some Conservative MPs would have problems finding a seat while others would lose some of the incumbency through boundary changes.

Re incumbency bonuses

I wonder if anyone's done a study on how quickly it builds and how soon it plateaus.

Though it probably varies depending on the turnover of the electorate - higher in city seats than rural.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2017
    Is Clegg sticking around?

If so, I'm guessing he'll win Sheffield Hallam at a canter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Well then, he would have been better keeping the govt on a small majority where he might stand a chance of defeating them as opposed to trying to defeat them on 50 or 60+ majorities were they can simply pass any policy they like whilst Labour stand by watching helplessly.

The man's a fool.
    He may really believe he has a chance to win...so yeah, either he's a fool, or we are all very very wrong.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Is Clegg sticking around then?

I'm told he's still popular locally.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Yup and yup.

I might even vote for him this time.
  • Options

Thanks.

Re incumbency bonuses

I wonder if anyone's done a study on how quickly it builds and how soon it plateaus.

Though it probably varies depending on the turnover of the electorate - higher in city seats than rural.
    I've got some data somewhere on it.

It does exist, a lot depends on the candidate.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ha! I think he's a disaster... I just don't see, here, what he can possibly do. The Fixed Terms Parliament Act was primarily to enable, where a coalition breaks down, an alternative Government to be formed without the outgoing PM preventing that.

For an opposition to a majority Government to say, as SeanT says, "let the baby eating continue until we've got our sh1t together" is ludicrous. Where I depart from Sean is that I don't think it's only because Corbyn is aggressive in his anti Tory rhetoric... same would have been the case in 2008 say had Act been in place then and Tories called upon by new PM Brown.
    He could have said 'I agree you're crap, but I'm not voting, so it's on you to vote down your own government first'.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Any markets on the total number of seats for the lib dems?

Betfair Sportsbook ar offering 5/6 either side of 25.5 seats
  • Options
    Corker of a match in Madrid.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    calum said:

"Reading up on" sounds so much more .... um .... active than "reading about" - what are you planning to do with your research, if I might ask?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Lets spare a thought for my MP, Rupa Huq. Majority of 254 over the Tories; nominated Corbyn for the leadership even though she supported Yvette Cooper. From a strictly personal point of view, not one of her best decisions ...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

She did that as well. Of course some more powerful people helped it along, but credit to her for winning their backing in the first place.
    Thanks for the correction. I did not know the particulars of this case, but her posting seemed both naive and whiny.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

Pong said:

Yup and yup.

And get yourself expelled from the Conservatives?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Put another way, what use is a political party that is unwilling to face the voters?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Others have said that Jezza seemed not taken by surprise by the day's events. Perhaps there was a secret deal? He was offered the choice of a G.E. now, provided he committed himself to voting with the govt on the FTPA tomorrow, or no attempt to call a G.E. and May ploughs on regardless.

Of course that would involve the tories being confident Jezza would keep his word...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    If any MP is even just charged, surely in practice they couldn't stand at the GE (assuming charged before nominations close) as publicity would be too bad?

But will CPS now delay decision until after 8 June?

If an MP is re-elected and then charged re 2015 then if convicted it would still mean a by-election.

• Options
    edited April 2017

What he could do (because he could STILL do it) is get Labour to abstain tomorrow and leave Mrs May in a complete pickle of her own making. The PM who called an election and then failed to get it off the ground? The Tories would dispose of her if she did not go herself and the resulting chaos in the Tory party would take the spotlight off Labour and they would not be facing the loss of a quarter of their MPs

The turkey voted for a Xmas that he could have avoided.

• Options

Pong said:

Yup and yup.

And get yourself expelled from the Conservatives?
    Tactical vote to stop a Corbyn government.

I will need JohnO's permission before I do.
This discussion has been closed.