Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looks like Mike Smithson was right about his theory about the

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Anthony Wells on the ICM polls:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9833
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pong said:

notme said:

calum said:
    no it isnt, it took me to the fourth paragraph to realise the headline had little to do with the story. She was sentenced for breaking a court injunction, not begging.
    dear god.

And the PM calls herself a Christian.
    She clearly has forgotten 'Thou shalt not bear false witness'.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Leicester just gone 1 down - 0 - 2 Atletico

Mission impossible now, unfortunately. Score 3 against a defence that good?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    RobD said:

How many sleeps until June 8?

51?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

RobD said:

You should manage 5 or 6.
    You underestimate my laziness. I missed all the action today because I was sleeping :p
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

To save me reading thousands of comments could someone give a summary of any interesting developments in the last eight hours please.

:wink:

Labour's odds of winning the general election are similar to those for a North Korean missile reaching its target.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited April 2017
    Fuck where did they find Lucy Powell ?

I know Manchester has a problem with Spice but this is beyond zombie
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,415
    edited April 2017

An interesting article in the Guardian based on the premise that May has called the election because she thinks she needs to show the EU that Brexit means Brexit in order to avoid being given a bad deal. If true I think she badly misunderstands why a 'good deal' in her terms isn't on offer, which has nothing do to with persuasion.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/18/mays-real-reason-for-calling-election-to-show-eu-that-brexit-really-means-brexit

I don't really buy it. More likely reasons are:

- expense case by-elections
    - her potential moderate rebels put her maj at risk on detail of the Repeal Bill
    - her potential extremist rebels put her maj at risk on signing off a sizeable divorce payment
    - as far as the economy is concerned this may be as good as it gets for some years
    - a general election in 2020 could be very tricky if she goes for a slow/staged Brexit
    - she gets out of the straightjacket of the 2010 manifesto, which was never designed for a win (and gives the HoL high ground on the single market)
    - she wants to be sure Corbyn is her opponent
    - sod all is going to happen on Brexit negs until the end of the summer
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    On the 'most surprising possible gain for the Conservatives' question discussed earlier I nominate Sedgefield.

• Options
    Are we going to get daily you gov polls again and all waiting till 10.01 pm nightly
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

If you're a Labour MP, then the word is "sleepless".

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.

At one level I agree with that, but then I recall that the broadcasters failed to do this in the past when election debates were being mooted.As far back as 1966 the leaders failed to agree the terms of any debates, and this continued throughout the elections dominated by Thatcher, Major and Blair.There was an acceptance that the parties had the option of imposing a veto when it suited their interests. On what basis can the broadcasters seek now to impose their wishes on an unwilling part leader?
    The broadcasters wish to invite party leaders to a debate. One party leader seeks to invalidate the debates.

Ergo :

If I invite some LibDems to view the dungeons of Auchentennach Castle and all but Mark Senior agree that such an educational and gastronomic tour de force is preferable to a lecture on the merits of bar charts, then with regret Mark doesn't get a veto.
    Indeed- but surely the broadcasters could be accused of failling to act consistently given their past failure to empty chair Wilson , Heath, Thatcher, Major & Blair?
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I'm interested to see how many candidates UKIP manage, I'd be surprised if it reaches 100. Essentially its an attention seeking exercise that will cost each candidate a couple of grand.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

Would any shifts in NI be expected based on the result of the Assembly elections?

Fermanagh/South Tyrone would probably be won by Sinn Fein, South Belfast by the DUP.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337
    kle4 said:

To save me reading thousands of comments could someone give a summary of any interesting developments in the last eight hours please.

:wink:

https://twitter.com/ThePoke/status/854304758818938882
    Is that middle one an instruction, a comment or Yvette Cooper seeking a divorce?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008

On the 'most surprising possible gain for the Conservatives' question discussed earlier I nominate Sedgefield.

One of the Sunderland seats would be pretty sensational, given that they generally manage to declare within an hour of the polls closing.
  • Options

You're not the first PBer to make that suggestion today.

In 1997 Labour took Thatcher's old seat, so there's precedent.
  • Options

One of the Sunderland seats would be pretty sensational, given that they generally manage to declare within an hour of the polls closing.
    Ohhh! I'm getting properly excited about this already. :o
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    SeanT said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

FTSE drops 180 points. You would have expected big business to support the Tories.

Coz the £ rose, you dork.
    SeanT, you are many things, but a wise currency analyst you are most certainly not. Mr surbiton also has no claims. I confess that I too don't, but I do know enough to spot you two.
    I study the forex market quite closely, as it affects me personally. So I have some knowledge, and I know that the FTSE often rises as and when the £ falls, as a weak currency boosts the earnings of large companies (and international thriller writers) whose income is mainly in $ and €. And the reverse is also, partly, true.
    Yes, that'd be quite a basic thing. I on the other hand worked at the top level of the financial markets for 17 years. Now, I would not presume for one moment to comment on the movements of the price from one day to another. I both know that I don't know, and that you don't know. Mr Surbiton whatever his faults cannot be branded a dork by you based on his knowledge of currency markets.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,337
    justin124 said:

Pong said:

notme said:

calum said:
    no it isnt, it took me to the fourth paragraph to realise the headline had little to do with the story. She was sentenced for breaking a court injunction, not begging.
    dear god.

And the PM calls herself a Christian.
    She clearly has forgotten 'Thou shalt not bear false witness'.
    You've missed out the last three words: 'against thy neighbour.'

She would only be breaking that one in the letter if she said Corbyn was a sensible and capable man who would make a fine PM :wink:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130

Given the general expectation that we can forget UNS, the models will probably swing wildly during the night. What might start out looking like a fantastic night for the Tories might get more grim as a Lib Dem surge registers in other parts of the country.
  • Options

I'm interested to see how many candidates UKIP manage, I'd be surprised if it reaches 100. Essentially its an attention seeking exercise that will cost each candidate a couple of grand.

The deposit is only £500 and a 5% vote wins you a refund. Putting up a candidate doesn't cost all that much, and if UKIP so wanted it could fund this centrally. It is candidates who actually want to campaign that are potentially expensive.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

CAESAR
    He calls me “boy” and chides as he had power
    To beat me out of Egypt. My messenger
    He hath whipped with rods, dares me to personal combat,
    Caesar to Antony. Let the old ruffian know
    I have many other ways to die, meantime
    Laugh at his challenge.

Antony & Cleopatra: Act iv Scene i

Pass the asp ....

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691

If one of them was a UKIP gain, that would make the night a bit more interesting...

Oh - and greetings to all from sunny Pisa!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    IanB2 said:

An interesting article in the Guardian based on the premise that May has called the election because she thinks she needs to show the EU that Brexit means Brexit in order to avoid being given a bad deal. If true I think she badly misunderstands why a 'good deal' in her terms isn't on offer, which has nothing do to with persuasion.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/18/mays-real-reason-for-calling-election-to-show-eu-that-brexit-really-means-brexit

- her potential moderate rebels put her maj at risk on detail of the Repeal Bill
    - her potential extremist rebels put her maj at risk on signing off a sizeable divorce payment
    - as far as the economy is concerned this may be as good as it gets for some years
    - a general election in 2020 could be very tricky if she goes for a slow/staged Brexit
    - she gets out of the straightjacket of the 2010 manifesto, which was never designed for a win (and gives the HoL high ground on the single market)
    It's probably all of the above, including the EU belief as to public opinion in the UK. I am quite sure that hard core Europhiles on the Continent has been comforting themselves with stories about how unpopular the current UK government is.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,452
    Some top link trolling going on already

http://labour2017.co.uk/
  • Options

Given the general expectation that we can forget UNS, the models will probably swing wildly during the night. What might start out looking like a fantastic night for the Tories might get more grim as a Lib Dem surge registers in other parts of the country.
    Still no sign of it in the polls though... :p
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    On topic, aren't the CPS "considering" charges against more than 30 individuals because local police forces have submitted to the CPS reports on more than 30 individuals? It doesn't mean there will necessarily be a single charge flowing. Although, on here it does seem to be de rigeur to assume the guilt of people not yet even charged....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

Steady, old boy. I fear for many over excited Tory hearts in the next months, and remember how old and fragile some of their hearts are (those that are not shriveled black with evil)
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Wasn't we told to forget UNS in 2015 and actually, in the end, we saw a pretty good UNS across the country?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,086
    Well I'll be voting Lib Dem in Gateshead!
  • Options

On topic, aren't the CPS "considering" charges against more than 30 individuals because local police forces have submitted to the CPS reports on more than 30 individuals? It doesn't mean there will necessarily be a single charge flowing. Although, on here it does seem to be de rigeur to assume the guilt of people not yet even charged....

I made the same astute observation earlier. :p Of course they are considering them, it's their job!
  • Options

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/854415658938970113

I'm assuming he and the good Prof Curtice are being whisked away to a secure location as we speak.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Corbyn still AWOL at PLP meeting.
  • Options
    Cathy Newman‏ @cathynewman
    For fourth time @timfarron struggled to give me a clear answer on if it's true he believes homosexuality is sinful #C4News #GeneralElection
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The deposit is only £500 and a 5% vote wins you a refund. Putting up a candidate doesn't cost all that much, and if UKIP so wanted it could fund this centrally. It is candidates who actually want to campaign that are potentially expensive.
    UKIP don't fund deposits centrally. Chuck in leaflets, travel etc you can spunk £2k in no time - for what, getting your picture in the local rag?

UKIP vetted previous candidates quite heavily, believe it or not, I'd be amazed if they got 100 this time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited April 2017

If she wins then her deal will be the British peoples' deal and she needs that mandate for Brexit whether she gets anything from the EU or not
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It's probably all of the above, including the EU belief as to public opinion in the UK. I am quite sure that hard core Europhiles on the Continent has been comforting themselves with stories about how unpopular the current UK government is.
    Certainly in the Prime Ministers' Club, the one who comes back with a bigger majority will get a lot of respect. There aren't many ruling politicians in the world's democracies who can be so confident.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Steady, old boy. I fear for many over excited Tory hearts in the next months, and remember how old and fragile some of their hearts are (though that are not shriveled black with evil)
    I can just hear the bong of Big Ben now..... :D
  • Options

Well I'll be voting Lib Dem in Gateshead!

21.3% in 2010, to 54.1% for Labour. Live the dream (but I hope the returning Lab MP is good).
  • Options
    I wonder which bookie will have the honour of sponsoring PB.com's great General Election Competition. Certainly they should be able to afford it with today's news set to increase their 2017 profits by millions. Shadsy's projected Christmas bonus must have at least quadrupled.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

For fourth time @timfarron struggled to give me a clear answer on if it's true he believes homosexuality is sinful #C4News #GeneralElection

That is one big fucking weakness, if he was some right wing candidate then it might fly but he is supposed to be soft left,
  • Options
    Trigger warning for overly excitable PB Tories!
  • Options

Open, Tolerant and United?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

It'll come down to whether the broadcasters have the bottle to empty chair the PM.

They should invite her to all the debates. If she chooses to not attend, then fine. The opposition will have a couple of hours to discuss the merits of the government and all their good works .. :smile:

The media should put a marker down that no party leader gets a veto on the debates.

At one level I agree with that, but then I recall that the broadcasters failed to do this in the past when election debates were being mooted.As far back as 1966 the leaders failed to agree the terms of any debates, and this continued throughout the elections dominated by Thatcher, Major and Blair.There was an acceptance that the parties had the option of imposing a veto when it suited their interests. On what basis can the broadcasters seek now to impose their wishes on an unwilling part leader?
    The broadcasters wish to invite party leaders to a debate. One party leader seeks to invalidate the debates.

Ergo :

If I invite some LibDems to view the dungeons of Auchentennach Castle and all but Mark Senior agree that such an educational and gastronomic tour de force is preferable to a lecture on the merits of bar charts, then with regret Mark doesn't get a veto.
    Indeed- but surely the broadcasters could be accused of failling to act consistently given their past failure to empty chair Wilson , Heath, Thatcher, Major & Blair?
    It's a view mi lud ....

Now Prime Minister .. You previously clearly stated a general election was not in the national interest. When exactly this weekend, after noting the 20+ point poll leads, did you change your mind?
  • Options
    The first seats to declare in Sunderland should be quite interesting this election anyway... :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Wasn't we told to forget UNS in 2015 and actually, in the end, we saw a pretty good UNS across the country?
    The rationale behind UNS is that voters are shifting away from a government they previously supported. In the current political circumstance I cannot see how it is possible to produce a hypothesis that would explain why any swing should be uniform?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Mortimer said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

Ergo :

But if Mark is the main event for the crowds, then surprise surprise the people putting on the show might be a little less excited about it.

I hate the debatification of British politics. People should be encouraged to do more than sit on the sofa and make a snap decision.
    I don't know what real impact it has, but I rather distrust the whole ambience.

There's the effect on viewers of the responses of a studio audience (or a 'worm', come to that). It's a bit like having canned laughter to tell you "This is amusing"; seems daft. But if it weren't effective, programmes wouldn't use it.

There's the effect on viewers of the Moderator or whatever they're called. Assumed to be fair to all parties but are they really?

There's the effect on viewers of camera close-ups & the like. I've no knowledge at all of who or what goes into that, but if they didn't have an impact, the job wouldn't need doing. Totally invisible to viewers; who gauges fairness?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

It sounds like he thinks it is sinful but he dare not say so on TV.

Prat!

We really do lack an opposition worth voting for. Labour/Corbyn and the LDs/Farron. Tweedledum and TweedleDee
  • Options
    RobD said:

I made the same astute observation earlier. :p Of course they are considering them, it's their job!
    WilliamGlenn was asking earlier if someone had been cleared......
  • Options
    JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

Ergo :

It's a view mi lud ....

Now Prime Minister .. You previously clearly stated a general election was not in the nation interest. When exactly this weekend, after noting the 20+ point poll leads, did you change your mind?
    May said she was calling an election to ensure a "safe and secure society"... or something like that :D
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

That is one big fucking weakness, if he was some right wing candidate then it might fly but he is supposed to be soft left,
    Reminds me of Rigsby in Rising Damp.

"Legal? It'll be compulsory next!"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

FTSE drops 180 points. You would have expected big business to support the Tories.

SeanT, you are many things, but a wise currency analyst you are most certainly not. Mr surbiton also has no claims. I confess that I too don't, but I do know enough to spot you two.
    I study the forex market quite closely, as it affects me personally. So I have some knowledge, and I know that the FTSE often rises as and when the £ falls, as a weak currency boosts the earnings of large companies (and international thriller writers) whose income is mainly in $ and €. And the reverse is also, partly, true.
    Yes, that'd be quite a basic thing. I on the other hand worked at the top level of the financial markets for 17 years. Now, I would not presume for one moment to comment on the movements of the price from one day to another. I both know that I don't know, and that you don't know. Mr Surbiton whatever his faults cannot be branded a dork by you based on his knowledge of currency markets.
    Although if you reread @SeanT comment he wasn't calling @surbiton a dork because of his FX knowledge but because he is, well, a dork
  • Options
    Hopefully Newcastle beats Sunderland in the declaration like they did in the EU ref :wink:
  • Options

I doubt if that will be a major issue in this election.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    Omnium said:

» show previous quotes
    These ideas may individually get over the wire in their acceptance in Scotland, but they're far from accepted as a package.

The relatively pragmatic Tories are far from your enemy if you want an independent Scotland. Your actual enemy is clearly the somewhat brighter bloke that lives next door.

Nobody within miles is brighter than me so that one does not resonate.

(The last line is malcolmg's.)

As you must clearly live on a very remote island malcolmg then I wonder what light you might cast on these matters?

Omnium , highly populated area for sure , I don't usually like to blow my own trumpet , but I am a bit of an intergalatic megastar, brighter than your average bear for sure.
    It will be SNP by a very very wide margin in Scotland , negated by the supine Tory victory in England and will lead to independence for sure as England moves ever rightwards.
    Evening Malc - I do not think Theresa May intends to move anywhere other than the centre ground vacated by Corbyn and a sensible EFTA like Brexit
    Evening Big_G, you will be happy man today.
    In some ways as I believe she needs a mandate but talk of a landslide is premature and at present I expect a majority of between 60 and 80. I also think the success or otherwise of indy2 will largely depend on TM achieving a good trading deal
    I don't, as in some ways the harder the Brexit the even harder it will be for an independent Scotland to trade with rUK, though it does now look like May is aiming for some kind of transition deal anyway which Sturgeon will find hard to argue against
    Maybe a transition as long as Sweden's transition towards the Euro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_and_the_euro
  • Options

HaroldO said:

One of the great sins of my life that I have watched little RIsing Damp. Always preferred BBC sitcoms from the 70's, but then most ITV ones were things like Robin's Nest.
    *Shudders*
  • Options

RobD said:

WilliamGlenn was asking earlier if someone had been cleared......
    I said 'in the clear', Carlotta. No assumption of guilt from me. :)
  • Options

Hopefully Newcastle beats Sunderland in the declaration like they did in the EU ref :wink:

Well we know which will be in the Premier League come the time of the GE!
  • Options

This is why Mrs May should do the debate, get Farron on this topic, then remind the world it was Mrs May as Home Secretary that made same sex marriage legal.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

Ergo :

It's a view mi lud ....

Now Prime Minister .. You previously clearly stated a general election was not in the nation interest. When exactly this weekend, after noting the 20+ point poll leads, did you change your mind?
    May said she was calling an election to ensure a "safe and secure society"... or something like that :D
    Quite so.

Twas a masterful piece of total boll*cks and should serve her well in the election campaign.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Probably not, but it's a very simple question where its harder not to be clear than clear.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,895

Jesus Christ, if there's one thing that will put potential Lib Dem voters off it's their leader having homophobic views.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

Ergo :

It's a view mi lud ....

Quite so.

Twas a masterful piece of total boll*cks and should serve her well in the election campaign.
    Are you calling Chancellor Palpatine's speech a load of bollocks? :o
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

One of the great sins of my life that I have watched little RIsing Damp. Always preferred BBC sitcoms from the 70's, but then most ITV ones were things like Robin's Nest.
    *Shudders*
    The inter-action between Rigsby and the black man (name I forget) was masterful. If you can catch it on youtube you won't regret it.
  • Options

This is why Mrs May should do the debate, get Farron on this topic, then remind the world it was Mrs May as Home Secretary that made same sex marriage legal.
  • Options
    Wait, does this mean Ken Livingstone won't be allowed to campaign with the official Labour teams because he's still suspended? Shame.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    TV GE debates are sterile. I hate watching them. Not surprised that May has kicked them into the long grass.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

*Shudders*
    The inter-action between Rigsby and the black man (name I forget) was masterful. If you can catch it on youtube you won't regret it.
    Don Warrington was the actor IIRC, recently in Death in Paradise (a secret vice of mine).
  • Options

If Mr Farron does believe it to be sinful, all he has to say is that since believes it is sinful then he himself will not commit that sin but he will not attempt to enforce that view on others since their lives are theirs to live as they see fit. His opinion is personal matter only for him. Issue defused.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Good to see that those 17 years left you completely untainted by the vice of self-importance. And you are just wrong anyway: no one was purporting to be a currency analyst, they were analysing stock markets by reference to currency movements. Not the same thing.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

Ergo :

It's a view mi lud ....

:open_mouth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS57I6swXcc
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

It sounds like he thinks it is sinful but he dare not say so on TV.

Prat!

We really do lack an opposition worth voting for. Labour/Corbyn and the LDs/Farron. Tweedledum and TweedleDee
    Of course he's a prat, he should be hammering the nails into labours coffin, but instead he chooses to look waffle
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

justin124 said:

JackW said:

Ergo :

It's a view mi lud ....

Quite so.

Are you calling Chancellor Palpatine's speech a load of bollocks? :o
    It certainly had the distinct appearance of the spherical objects in the trouser department.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Sean_F said:

I don't get why he doesn't just lie and say no even if it's true. It's hardly his raison d'etre, and is a huge weakness for him, so why die on that hill? Strange.
  • Options

If Mr Farron does believe it to be sinful, all he has to say is that since believes it is sinful then he himself will not commit that sin but he will not attempt to enforce that view on others since their lives are theirs to live as they see fit. His opinion is personal matter only for him. Issue defused.
    And yet apparently, according to Cathy Newman, he was unable to defuse it in four tries.
  • Options

I know, she persuaded Mrs May, and Mrs May delivered.
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

*Shudders*
    Don Warrington was the actor IIRC, recently in Death in Paradise (a secret vice of mine).
    That's him, superb, tied Rigsby in knots.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I don't get why he doesn't just lie and say no even if it's true. It's hardly his raison d'etre, and is a huge weakness for him, so why die on that hill? Strange.
    Perhaps he does not like lying. If he does think its sinful and is not willing to lie about it, then he needs a good answer.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128

I thought of the Finchley precedent as well.

Do you think Clegg will stand again ?
  • Options
    On reflection hurrah for Mrs May and GE 2017, watching the re-runs of GE 2015 had seen them 'age' rather quickly and having watched that coverage through once or twice - a refreshed election night to watch and savour does appeal now.

Who will be the fat arse we can celebrate their demise this time? Who will be the beligerent Balls refuting suggestions he's lost his seat? Where will be Nuneaton?
  • Options

Wow, she invented same sex marriage? "From my head to becoming the law" :D
  • Options

One of my friend's father is a very devout Christian, he openly admits homosexuality is an abomination/sex, but then says if God really didn't like homosexuals, he'd stop creating them, so up to that point, he'll treat homosexuals with the same respect he treats heterosexuals.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

Although if you reread @SeanT comment he wasn't calling @surbiton a dork because of his FX knowledge but because he is, well, a dork
    Well should that be he case, and SeanT was merely insulting surbiton for independent reasons then I clearly retract all objections on that score.

SeanT's economic guru-ship should probably still be in abeyance though.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

No, but it does open up a handy line of interrogation for a hostile interviewer - and for the leader of the Lib Dems it's a very tricky position to be in. His Eminence Profesor the Reverend Nuttal could get away with it.....but not a Lib Dem...
  • Options

On reflection hurrah for Mrs May and GE 2017, watching the re-runs of GE 2015 had seen them 'age' rather quickly and having watched that coverage through once or twice - a refreshed election night to watch and savour does appeal now.

Who will be the fat arse we can celebrate their demise this time? Who will be the beligerent Balls refuting suggestions he's lost his seat? Where will be Nuneaton?

When's the next 2015 viewing party? Who knows, I might partake!
  • Options

Clegg's confirmed he's standing, as has Vince Cable.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008
    HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

*Shudders*
    Frances de la Tour also fantastic in that programme. And Leonard Rossiter was one of the greatest comic actors of any time and place.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    kle4 said:

And yet apparently, according to Cathy Newman, he was unable to defuse it in four tries.
    Very strange, he's not an idiot, he knows his stance is a landmine, and it's not like there is some vast Lib Dem Homophobe vote he needs to keep on side. Expect this to be a good stick Labour will beat the Lib Dems with. Probably won't swing votes either way, but may distract the narrative for a while from Brexit or Corbyn.
  • Options

I was under the impression it was already confirmed that he will be standing again.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Delusions of grandeur, come to mind.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

It's the sort of thing that an avowedly right-on 18-24 year old Guardian/Indy reading student might get vexed about.

I recall many adverse comments about it, and him, in the days before Brexit consumed everything.
  • Options
    Perhaps we will see a homophobic bigots coupon, with Illiberal Undems standing in Remainer seats, and Kippers standing in Leaver seats. Both offering 'the straight choice'.
  • Options

Parliament delivered not Mrs May.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Perhaps he does not like lying. If he does think its sinful and is not willing to lie about it, then he needs a good answer.
    Perhaps he should say "I'd burn them at the stake" to get the wee free vote.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

No, but it does open up a handy line of interrogation for a hostile interviewer - and for the leader of the Lib Dems it's a very tricky position to be in. His Eminence Profesor the Reverend Nuttal could get away with it.....but not a Lib Dem...
    On the other hand it's a convenient dog whistle for the kind of voters who like Theresa May's religiosity that Farron isn't a beardy-weirdy.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

*Shudders*
    That's him, superb, tied Rigsby in knots.
    My sieve like memory is dredging up having watched the movie many moons ago.
    Leonard Rossiter was excellent, even better than in Steptoe and Son (two cameos) and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. He had amazing timing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He is a lightweight. End of.

To quote Sir Robert Mottram (my favourite political quote at the moment...)

"We're all f*cked. I'm f*cked. You're f*cked. The whole department's f*cked. It's been the biggest cock-up ever and we're all completely f*cked."
This discussion has been closed.