Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Expectations management or the harbinger of a truly terrible n

Comments

• Options
    BojabobBojabob Posts: 642

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

The idea that Angela Rayner could ever be leader of a political party is simply laughable. She is just a bang a drum trade unionist, isn't she.

CUTS CRISIS AHHHH TORIES.

Yeah these oiks should clear off and leave it for the poshos with PPE.
    Current PM is neither, nor was the last lady PM......
    Yep, they did other degrees at Oxford. Such diversity is why places like Stoke and Copeland feel abandoned by Westminster. Politics is for Oxford grads, not the rest of us.
    Lectures from Lib Dems on diversity! Whitest, malest party in the Hoc!
    True. But as they only have nine MPs they have a small pool. What percentage of the PCP are women?
    When the Lib Dems had more than 50 MPS, how many of them were black or ethnic minority?
    Very few. I don't deny the OP, I merely asked a question about the PCP.
  • Options
    Are misled QT viewing gamblers able to launch a legal claim against Dimbleby?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030

Popcorn!

UKIP’s only MP dramatically conceded the Stoke by-election – saying the party’s new leader had lost to Labour. Douglas Carswell said it was “likely” Labour had held the seat just 45 minutes after the polls closed.

UKIP’s Douglas Carswell shocked Question Time audiences when he claimed it was ‘likely’ Labour had held the Stoke seat It sparked an immediate bout of infighting, with claims he personally blocked a knighthood for Nigel Farage – which he denied. But it sets the stage for a fresh civil war today if the result is confirmed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2943022/ukips-douglas-carswell-concedes-defeat-in-stoke-central-as-its-claimed-leader-paul-nuttall-could-finish-third/

It takes a certain chutzpah, for a single member party to have a back bench rebellion.
    It takes a particular type of idiocy to think that the single MP of a minor party could '"personally block" a knighthood.
    Actually it is possible.

A letter from an MP/Peer can delay/block an honour.

They can explain why or if a further investigation is needed before awarding an honour.
    TSE, it sounds as though you speak from experience. Your hereditary peerage blocked again?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048

Are misled QT viewing gamblers able to launch a legal claim against Dimbleby?

It's ok, I'll spend their money wisely.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@isam, re postal vote sampling

The election experts on here can explain it better than I can, but I think the theory goes like this:

* Postal votes are sent in in an envelope.
    * Both the ballot paper and the envelope have a number on them
    * To verify it's a valid vote, the ballot paper is removed from the envelope and the numbers are compared
    * This takes place before the polls close (is that still the case?)
    * The party election agents are allowed to witness this process and they make guesstimates.
    * They are not allowed to discuss this (before the poll closes)
    * It's a good forward indicator of the election result, and correctly predicted ScotInd14 and EUREF16.

If any of the above is inaccurate, somebody on here will say

There's two envelopes. Only the outer envelope is checked before the ballots close to check they match up. (Verification stage)

The second envelope, with the ballot paper, isn't opened until the ballots close.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,601
    viewcode said:

The election experts on here can explain it better than I can, but I think the theory goes like this:

* To verify it's a valid vote, the ballot paper is removed from the envelope and the numbers are compared
    * The party election agents are allowed to witness this process and they make guesstimates.
    * It's a good forward indicator of the election result, and correctly predicted ScotInd14 and EUREF16.

As I said below, the papers are supposed to be kept face down. Of course, if the opening is sloppy, the occasional paper may briefly be held face up, but usually you only get to see one end of it and only for an instant. At a well managed PV verification you might come away having glimpsed a small handful of votes. You might persuade yourself that a potentially skewed sample of a handful of votes is meaningful, and it is of course human nature to want to tell your mates you have privileged inside information (so Chinese whispers exaggerates the meaningfulness of the info as it gets passed around) but the bottom line is that, unless the counters are incompetent, a party activist attending a PV verification will come away with next to no useful information.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    why are rurual areas so Tory? Some areas are very wealthy but aren't most rurual areas avreage?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Sensible Labour source says game over in Copeland but confident Ukip could come third in Stoke - don't shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    If this Hodges-like speculation is likely to continue for hours, I might turn in. I either wake up tomorrow quids-in, or Corbyn is surely gone. Win-win.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Popcorn!

UKIP’s only MP dramatically conceded the Stoke by-election – saying the party’s new leader had lost to Labour. Douglas Carswell said it was “likely” Labour had held the seat just 45 minutes after the polls closed.

UKIP’s Douglas Carswell shocked Question Time audiences when he claimed it was ‘likely’ Labour had held the Stoke seat It sparked an immediate bout of infighting, with claims he personally blocked a knighthood for Nigel Farage – which he denied. But it sets the stage for a fresh civil war today if the result is confirmed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2943022/ukips-douglas-carswell-concedes-defeat-in-stoke-central-as-its-claimed-leader-paul-nuttall-could-finish-third/

It takes a certain chutzpah, for a single member party to have a back bench rebellion.
    It takes a particular type of idiocy to think that the single MP of a minor party could '"personally block" a knighthood.
    Actually it is possible.

They can explain why or if a further investigation is needed before awarding an honour.
    TSE, it sounds as though you speak from experience. Your hereditary peerage blocked again?
    No. But I had heard this rumour a few weeks ago and I had been told how it is possible.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    My prediction for Copeland (made last December): Tories to win by 3,500.

Erm... at least I *might* have got the winning side right...?
  • Options
    Dromey claiming a Labour victory in Stoke is turning the tide ....

in stoke central

stoke.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Dan Hodges saying Tories are ahead, Adam Bienkov saying Labour are ahead

?!?!?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Ann Widdicombe and New Order....too weird....
  • Options

RobD said:

Popcorn!

Actually it is possible.

No. But I had heard this rumour a few weeks ago and I had been told how it is possible.
    Ah I see. Someone clearly has it in for our JohnO!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    The fat lady is singing in Copeland on Betfair.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

in stoke central

stoke.

Hilarious.

Especially if (please please for the sake of my SPIN account) the Tories sneak 2nd....
  • Options

Popcorn!

Actually it is possible.

https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/834915346763157504
  • Options
    Artist said:

Can you explain to someone who doesnt bet please
  • Options

in stoke central

stoke.

Presumably crowing over the state if Ukip?

This is what Labour has been reduced to. They can't even contemplate mounting a serious challenge to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Express say v close Ukip and Labour w Tories distant 3rd

https://twitter.com/charliebayliss_/status/834913314299863040
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    Danny565 said:

Dan Hodges saying Tories are ahead, Adam Bienkov saying Labour are ahead

?!?!?

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/834915201728327681
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726
    edited February 2017
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

As I said below, the papers are supposed to be kept face down. Of course, if the opening is sloppy, the occasional paper may briefly be held face up, but usually you only get to see one end of it and only for an instant. At a well managed PV verification you might come away having glimpsed a small handful of votes. You might persuade yourself that a potentially skewed sample of a handful of votes is meaningful, and it is of course human nature to want to tell your mates you have privileged inside information (so Chinese whispers exaggerates the meaningfulness of the info as it gets passed around) but the bottom line is that, unless the counters are incompetent, a party activist attending a PV verification will come away with next to no useful information.
    Labour List (or Uncut?) had a story during the 2015 GE campaign about party staff gleaning info from pen marks visible through the ballot papers. Their sources predicted Labour doing poorly.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited February 2017
    nunu said:

why are rurual areas so Tory? Some areas are very wealthy but aren't most rurual areas avreage?

It is in part the age mix. Certainly in Leics, the County is demographically older and richer, and whiter too though I think ethnicity not an issue in Copeland.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BenChu_/status/834778157123244033

Daily Mail outsourcing its bar charts to the Lib Dem graphic design team.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Alan Johnson joining the Justin Short Straws club re: polling lead for the Tories, on This Week.
  • Options
    Everyone has stopped hedging on Twitter and claiming that the Tories have taken Copeland.

UKIP possible third in Stoke?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Its 'enemy of my enemy' - posh urban leftists and poor rural voters.
  • Options
    If Corbyn contrives to lose Copeland he has no-one to blame but himself and his laughable acolytes from the insane Hard Left wing of the party. Let him blame the 'Blairites', the Old Right, the Soft Left, the Union Right: he will just expose himself as a clown. I fucking hate the PBism 'popcorn' but if there is any time to grazing on saccharine superheated maize kernels, this is likely to be it.
  • Options
    The mood music is very good for us blues in Copeland, isnt it...
  • Options
    edited February 2017

viewcode said:

There's two envelopes. Only the outer envelope is checked before the ballots close to check they match up. (Verification stage)

The second envelope, with the ballot paper, isn't opened until the ballots close.
    That isn't right.

For the real anoraks, the full instructions are here: (page 36)

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/141983/LGEW-MAY-RO-Part-D-Absent-voting.pdf
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    nunu said:

That is a good question, as the farmland is not lush Leicestershire Wolds or East Anglian cereal fields.

The hill farms will be small and poor, and the farmers not very well off.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    edited February 2017
    If anyone wants to get on Conservatives in Copeland, much better odds at Smarkets (jumping around, 1.27 now vs 1.19 at Betfair, but I got on at quite a bit higher - sufficiently so that I suspect a "malfunction" will be declared.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    nunu said:

Because most rural areas are culturally conservative.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,068
    isam said:

Express long ago ceased to be at all serious.
  • Options
    9000 postal votes in Copeland which are likely to favour conservatives
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Phil , is that you?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

nunu said:

They tend to be older, whiter, and see less visible benefit from public spending - big buildings go in the most urban areas on a "bang for your buck" principles, whereas the mere fact it costs more to deliver services like social care when you have to drive for miles to do it goes unnoticed.
  • Options
    Copeland turnout 40-50%
    9,000 postal votes
    - Sky
  • Options
    If UKIP are third then as I've thought post-referendum the party is deceased and void of purpose. Time to shut up shop, disband and celebrate Article 50 and a mission accomplished.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

Express long ago ceased to be at all serious.
    Express have been saying UKIP would win with massive majority
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Mortimer said:

Phil , is that you?
    LOL.

Took me a while, but I got there in the end....
  • Options
    Copeland - all boxes in result 3.00 or earlier
  • Options
    @iankatz1000: Interesting strategy: if Lab loses one of bylelections Corbyn team planning concerted attack on Blairites reports @nicholaswatt #newsnight

@Jake_Wilde: I heard they asked Ken to draw up the strategy and he called it Codename Final Solution twitter.com/iankatz1000/st…
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

Labour List (or Uncut?) had a story during the 2015 GE campaign about party staff gleaning info from pen marks visible through the ballot papers. Their sources predicted Labour doing poorly.
    Maybe, but I doubt it was meaningful.

You're the party activist who decides (or who is sent) to watch the opening (noting that there are usual several different openings with papers opened in batches). When you get back to base everyone is desperate to hear how things are going (disregarding that telling them isn't legal anyway). You haven't seen that much but the pressure to say something like "well I only saw a few votes but party X seemed to be doing well" is heavy. Three persons down the conversation chain and this turns into "Fred went to the PV count and party X was winning them".
  • Options
    @iainjwatson: Ok for what it's worth well placed Labour source who felt #Copeland was neck and neck earlier now expects a Conservative win
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    delete - SNAFU
  • Options

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

They tend to be older, whiter, and see less visible benefit from public spending - big buildings go in the most urban areas on a "bang for your buck" principles, whereas the mere fact it costs more to deliver services like social care when you have to drive for miles to do it goes unnoticed.
    Rural areas don't have same history of being unionised, generally speaking.
  • Options

Artist said:

He means that the Tory price is now so short and Labour's so long that the Tory victory looks certain, as far as the betting markets are concerned (not that they were right in the EU Ref)
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

RobD said:

Popcorn!

Actually it is possible.

If true then Carswell has gone up in my estimation. It would be an outrage for a man as dishonourable as Farage to be given any sort of honour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Looks like I might lose my bet with @isam but should be a nice little profit overall.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Artist said:

He means that the Tory price is now so short and Labour's so long that the Tory victory looks certain, as far as the betting markets are concerned (not that they were right in the EU Ref)
    Thanks for that
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Close second in Stoke and Nuttall just about lives to fight another day.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Stoke Central seeming more and more likely to be a Labour hold, possibly with a majority of a few thousand
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,587

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Also far fewer public sector workers.
  • Options
    Tories 200 in Stoke
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Coin toss in Copeland.
  • Options
    @jessicaelgot: Labour saying it looks like Ukip are second in Stoke, there was some early rumours the Tories could have beaten them.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:

@jessicaelgot: Labour saying it looks like Ukip are second in Stoke, there was some early rumours the Tories could have beaten them.

Well, I got that one right, at least.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

And Labour often don't even try - though some surprising council areas were Labour in the days when agricultural labourers existed in significant numbers. Now there's barely anyone in the party who can point out why an article called "Britain’s Future Must Speak For Both Englands - The Towns And The Cities" is missing a large proportion of the population out. (I'm looking at you, Lisa Nandy).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Recount territory?
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Close second in Stoke and Nuttall just about lives to fight another day.

The knives will be out imo, his media image has taken one hell of a bashing.
  • Options
    38% turnout in Stoke, apparently.
  • Options

Wow that's a lot more than people were predicting
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Does that favour UKIP or Labour?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

And Labour often don't even try - though some surprising council areas were Labour in the days when agricultural labourers existed in significant numbers. Now there's barely anyone in the party who can point out why an article called "Britain’s Future Must Speak For Both Englands - The Towns And The Cities" is missing a large proportion of the population out. (I'm looking at you, Lisa Nandy).
    What proportion of the population do you think lives outside towns and cities?
  • Options
    Turnout in Stoke is 38%

At Stoke Fiona Ledden, the acting returning officer, has just announced the turnout figures.

There were 21,200 ballots cast - 4,335 postal votes and 16,865 polling station votes.

That amounts to a turnout of 38.16%.

That’s is reasonably good for a byelection held on the day of a severe storm.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    It's worth recalling that when Nuttall was elected UKIP leader he was seen as a huge electoral plus for UKIP.
  • Options
    Blimey glad I didn't bet on turnout in Stoke. Sub 34% looked like an absolute rick.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

It's worth recalling that when Nuttall was elected UKIP leader he was seen as a huge electoral plus for UKIP.

What party wouldn't want such a highly decorated man at the helm? :smiley:
  • Options
    Stoke turnout: 38.16%. Reports of 20% total nonsense.
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Back with another new name????
  • Options

Higher than Sleaford, amazingly.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes, by the media, who assumed that because he was working class, other working class people would naturally vote for him...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

20% of the votes were Postal votes.. what does that tell us?

Have you got a spreadsheet that means I don't have to think???!!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Ish. I explain upthread!
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Ish. I explain upthread!
    If you keep losing letters at the current rate your username will be BoB before the next Labour government.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

That is a good question, as the farmland is not lush Leicestershire Wolds or East Anglian cereal fields.

The hill farms will be small and poor, and the farmers not very well off.
    the avreage farmer only earns £25,000
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

MikeL said:

Yes, by the media, who assumed that because he was working class, other working class people would naturally vote for him...

It was always a very patronising, middle class view that a Scouse accent would have erstwhile working class Labour voters flocking to UKIP.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

Mortimer said:

Bojabob said:

AndyJS said:

nunu said:

Ish. I explain upthread!
    If you keep losing letters at the current rate your username will be BoB before the next Labour government.
    B at best :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Well it was Faisal Islam - says it all really
  • Options
    Bojabob said:

MikeL said:

Overlooking the track record of Jeffrey Archer style invented back story and false claims over Hillsborough. People love that.
  • Options

Bojabob said:

MikeL said:

It was always a very patronising, middle class view that a Scouse accent would have erstwhile working class Labour voters flocking to UKIP.

By your own definition, does this count as virtue signalling?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Well it was Faisal Islam - says it all really
    Surprised the news wasn't broken in a nine-part tweet ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    viewcode said:
    There is tons of documentation on the Electoral Commission website, covering every aspect of the electoral process with separate guidance aimed at and written for candidates, agents, and returning officers, as well as stuff for voters. They are generally exceptionally clear, concise and well written; a model for other public services.

I wish they would market themselves out to write instruction manuals for DVD players and double ovens.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,329
    Bojabob said:

MikeL said:

It's unfair on Big G but I still love this comment:

I do not support UKIP at all but I do think Paul Nuttall will devastate labour in their heartlands with his scouse accent and appeal to the WWC vote.

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1359669/#Comment_1359669
This discussion has been closed.