Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the rebel has made the wrong call on the Article 50 vot

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Are you saying that inflation rose, despite Brexit?

Ah, my coat!

YOU haven't left yet...
    Yes, the trigger moment will be when A50 is declared. ;)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 5m5 minutes ago

NEW: Labour's Clive Lewis to oppose 'hard Brexit' Article 50 bill at third reading 'whatever the consequences'

Oh dear - he's prevaricated so long now that i doubt if any one cares.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

slade said:

Just to confirm where President Trump's interests are:
    No of Americans killed by their citizens (1975-2015) Banned by Trump Has Trump Hotels Iran 0 Y N Iraq 0 Y N Libya 0 Y N Somalia 0 Y N Sudan 0 Y N Syria 0 Y N Yemen 0 Y N Saudi Arabia 2369 N Y UAE 314 N Y Egypt 162 N Y Lebanon 159 N Y

No idea where that table comes from originally, but it is packed full or errors. It's not even worth the effort of going through them there are so many,
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

But they CAN be. Take the case of a child on a roundabout in a park that goes flying off, that is a case of centripetal/centrifugal forces not being equal.

That's the point. Once you leave the roundabout, you are no longer subject to centripetal force
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2017
    From a glance at the maps, it looks like support for Trump's visit is much more evenly spread around the country, whereas opposition is concentrated in certain areas:

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=178844
    http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=171928
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

But they CAN be. Take the case of a child on a roundabout in a park that goes flying off, that is a case of centripetal/centrifugal forces not being equal.

That's the point. Once you leave the roundabout, you are no longer subject to centripetal force
    But you don't leave the roundabout without the equilibrium of centripetal and centrifugal forces ending. There is a point where there is both centripetal and centrifugal forces and they are not equal.

Plus you can extend that by having uneven orbits. Eg where a kid on that roundabout loses balance but regains it and holds on, so jerks back and forth. There was both centrifugal and centripetal forces but they didn't match thus creating an uneven orbit.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Sorry if already posted. I think 24 hour news is to blame for the falling quality of news.

2017/01/30/suspect-in-quebec-mosque-attack-quickly-depicted-as-a-moroccan-muslim-hes
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Apple has not fully paid the 13 billion euros ($13.9 billion) it owes to Ireland in illegal tax benefits even though the deadline has passed, the European Union's competition said on Tuesday

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/apple-misses-deadline-to-pay-ireland-illegal-tax-benefits.html

With hindsight, the great missed opportunity we had in Europe was that we stuck religiously to the rules. Had we gamed the system like all the others (with the possible exception of the Germans) and particularly if we had gone after our interests in the way the French did (e.g. getting British beef banned from all markets in 1996 so they could move in, despite France having twice the rate of BSE that Britain did and not even taking basic precautions on offal or testing, allowing the contaminated meat to enter the food chain) we would all have loved Europe and ironically it would probably have worked far more efficiently all around.

Valuable lesson learned? Almost certainly not, but it's an intriguing point.

I think gold-plating (of rules) civil servants are part of Brexit.

Agreed. My father, who is ardently pro-European, was very angry with a 12 page set of animal welfare rules (I think it was on caged chickens) drafted by the Dutch, which became 7 pages for the French and a whopping 248 for the British.

That does not however excuse the many stupid things they have done without any help at all that we should simply have ignored.
    Does it perhaps have something to do with our inexperience of federal systems of government so we don't fully get that the UK's job is to defend its interests, not just to use Brussels as cover for our own centralising bureaucratic tendencies?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The thread has literally gone off on a tangent.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

ydoethur said:

Apple has not fully paid the 13 billion euros ($13.9 billion) it owes to Ireland in illegal tax benefits even though the deadline has passed, the European Union's competition said on Tuesday

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/apple-misses-deadline-to-pay-ireland-illegal-tax-benefits.html

With hindsight, the great missed opportunity we had in Europe was that we stuck religiously to the rules. Had we gamed the system like all the others (with the possible exception of the Germans) and particularly if we had gone after our interests in the way the French did (e.g. getting British beef banned from all markets in 1996 so they could move in, despite France having twice the rate of BSE that Britain did and not even taking basic precautions on offal or testing, allowing the contaminated meat to enter the food chain) we would all have loved Europe and ironically it would probably have worked far more efficiently all around.

There is a famous Irish poker player who when asked what the difference between Irish and British was he said you guys see a new rule as one to be unerringly adhered to, we Irish see a new rule as a fresh challenge to circumvent.
    Liam Flood?
    Padraig Parkinson.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

From a glance at the maps, it looks like support for Trump's visit is much more evenly spread around the country, whereas opposition is concentrated in certain areas:

Its the fallacy of the 'progressive majority' again.

'Everyone in this Crouch End coffee shop supports AV / voted Remain / opposes Trump so who cares what they think in Nuneaton'
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

ydoethur said:

There is a famous Irish poker player who when asked what the difference between Irish and British was he said you guys see a new rule as one to be unerringly adhered to, we Irish see a new rule as a fresh challenge to circumvent.
    Liam Flood?
    I got knocked out of EPT Ireland by Andy Black a few years back.
    An honourable way to go! - think I read the write up
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The forces only exactly balance if the object is traveling in an orbit. If the object escapes it's orbit then it is because the forces didn't exactly balance which is possible.

If the object is not in orbit then the forces are not necessarily Centripetal/Centrifugal
    One of my first daddy day outings with 2 was to the park. The 10 month old was enjoying the round about and so was the 2 year old. Both wanted to go faster, I experienced just this and I can tell you I didn't care what force it was, I was just thinking about whether I'd need to tell the wife, or could I get away with pretending she'd slipped whilst toddling.
  • Options

Ha!
  • Options

Is that because the Centripetal force isn't strong enough?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But you don't leave the roundabout without the equilibrium of centripetal and centrifugal forces ending. There is a point where there is both centripetal and centrifugal forces and they are not equal.

Plus you can extend that by having uneven orbits. Eg where a kid on that roundabout loses balance but regains it and holds on, so jerks back and forth. There was both centrifugal and centripetal forces but they didn't match thus creating an uneven orbit.
    If Monty Hall spins two roundabouts, do you switch?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The forces only exactly balance if the object is traveling in an orbit. If the object escapes it's orbit then it is because the forces didn't exactly balance which is possible.

If the object is not in orbit then the forces are not necessarily Centripetal/Centrifugal
    One of my first daddy day outings with 2 was to the park. The 10 month old was enjoying the round about and so was the 2 year old. Both wanted to go faster, I experienced just this and I can tell you I didn't care what force it was, I was just thinking about whether I'd need to tell the wife, or could I get away with pretending she'd slipped whilst toddling.
    LOL!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

More likely he gets his collar felt by the local plod asking why he is messing in a kids playground before he gets to ask the question.
  • Options

No

The magnitude of the centrifugal force always exactly matches the magnitude of the centripetal force. If you leave the roundabout, there is no centripetal force. If you wave in and out, the magnitude of the centripetal force may vary, and the centrifugal force exactly matches it at all time, until you leave.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

You're living in the darkest timeline. :D

Wait, there are other timelines..?
    No offence intended to Francis, of course!
    RobD said:

If @Scott_P's first degree was in Engineering, I wonder what the second was.... [insert some twitter joke here]

*innocent face*

Scott_P said:

Community Chance?
    Community references on PB.com ? Oh, that's nice.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Dan Harmon has officially confirmed we are living in the darkest timeline, by the way.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Dan Harmon has officially confirmed we are living in the darkest timeline, by the way.

Brexit. Trump.
  • Options
    This is probably the source of the data.

https://www.cato.org/blog/guide-trumps-executive-order-limit-migration-national-security-reasons

So the abridged table ignores that the data was for US convictions and offences only. Which neatly means that things like Iran's backing of Hezbollah, and Libya's responsibility for Lockerbie are missing, and those alone count for many hundreds of American deaths. It also only listed the numbers where deaths have occurred, not offences in total.

If you look at the apparent source you will see that citizens of Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen have all been "committed or were convicted of attempting to commit a terrorist attack on U.S. soil from 1975 through 2015".

It's also worth bearing in my that it's not historical offences that determine where the threat is coming from but the intelligence about the current threat, and the degree of cooperation the US receives in order to vet visa applications.

The "meme" that the targets of the change of rules are not a threat, and that the places that are a threat are ignored because of Trump's business interest does not stand up to scrutiny.

None of which justifies Trump's use of an executive order to change the rules overnight, that was stupid.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:
    The presence of Quebec pulls Canada to the Left, and also forces a system of bilinguism and compromise on it to maintain its federal union. It also tried to establish reserves, or assimilate, its native peoples rather than outright conquest.

There's also a desire to differentiate itself from the US, which helps to maintain the monarchy, but also means it went fully metric fairly enthusiastically, embraces social healthcare and is less tub-thumping about its nationhood.

But, there are plenty of Canadians who are right-wing, and the Canadian Conservatives clocked almost 40% of the vote less than six years ago.

Better than Cameron did.
    I think they are changing to PR for the next election, at least the Liberals promised they would. The UK Parliament will soon become one of the last bastions of FPTP (and long may that continue).
    I'll believe it when I see it.

Either way: if the Liberals think it'll lock the Tories out of power in Canada for a generation (which is what they want) I think they'll be disappointed.
    Think it's to lock themselves in government.
  • Options
    @TeaPainUSA: More Muslims have been killed by Trump supporters in the past 24 hours than Americans killed by refugees from banned countries in 30 years.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I believe this was reported on the web before the original tweet from this particular twitter account.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    He's quite libertarian, so a good call. (Indeed, I think he's likely to take umbrage at Trump's use of EOs.)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

Though it is an illusion. For example in the pro-Leave constituency of Sleaford and Hykeham there are 422 at present on the Pro-visit petition, but 2000 on the Anti-visit petition. Even in rural Lincs 5 times the number are opposed. Metropolitan elites I suppose.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

More likely he gets his collar felt by the local plod asking why he is messing in a kids playground before he gets to ask the question.
    Policev
    rcs1000 said:

He's quite libertarian, so a good call. (Indeed, I think he's likely to take umbrage at Trump's use of EOs.)
    Presumably Trumpton will just find a way of sacking him if he doesn't like his judgements
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Someone with the same name as the person who started the pro-Trump petition runs an Early Detection System business in Dover:

http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/early-detection-systems-limited-05499836/

It may not be the same person though.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Though it is an illusion. For example in the pro-Leave constituency of Sleaford and Hykeham there are 422 at present on the Pro-visit petition, but 2000 on the Anti-visit petition. Even in rural Lincs 5 times the number are opposed. Metropolitan elites I suppose.

AndyJS said:

There's a reason why Sleaford is known locally as Crouch-End-by-Dyke Fox.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    AndyJS said:

There is not one single constituency where support for Trump's visit exceeds opposition to it
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,412
    God, Ed Vaizey is a hectoring prat.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

AndyJS said:

There is not one single constituency where support for Trump's visit exceeds opposition to it
    I was simply referring to the distribution, not the total numbers.
  • Options

God, Ed Vaizey is a hectoring prat.

What he has turned up to the Commons...thats a very unusual occurrence, especially at dinner time.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Numbers signing a petition (or not) do not constitute a mandate.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yes, a somewhat counterproductive consequence of the pro-Trump petition is that it allows local comparison with the anti-Trump petition.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, a somewhat counterproductive consequence of the pro-Trump petition is that it allows local comparison with the anti-Trump petition.
    The anti-Trump petition was constantly being mentioned in the mainstream media yesterday, whereas the pro-Trump petition wasn't mentioned at all. I didn't know about its existence until earlier today.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The revelation that the opposition is even greater in north London than it is in Lincolnshire?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The revelation that the opposition is even greater in north London than it is in Lincolnshire?
    The visit of the Trumpster is almost certainly going to be in London and possibly Scotland, the areas of peak opposition.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

AndyJS said:

So about 0.02% of the Pro Petition comes from Sleaford and 0.001% on the Anti Petition. Compare to Hornsey and Wood Green where 0.0009% of the Pro Petition comes from but 0.006% of the Anti Petition comes from.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

The anti-Trump petition was constantly being mentioned in the mainstream media yesterday, whereas the pro-Trump petition wasn't mentioned at all. I didn't know about its existence until earlier today.
    Didn't it reach some extraordinary level prior it even being mentioned on the telly?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It is perhaps fortunate that the first SC Judge to be replaced is the Conservative Scalia.

Now if something was to happen to Ginsburg and Breyer ...
  • Options

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

The visit of the Trumpster is almost certainly going to be in London and possibly Scotland, the areas of peak opposition.
    I still can't see it happening. In high summer, in London? It just sounds like a recipe for total chaos down here.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No, just that support for the pro petition is spread more evenly around the country compared to the anti, nothing to do with Lincs or places like it.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I still can't see it happening. In high summer, in London? It just sounds like a recipe for total chaos down here.
    But the Trumpster won't want to get his hair wet and ruin the photos...
  • Options
    edited January 2017

AndyJS said:

Petitions tend to be overwhelmingly signed by the left, the pro Trump state visit petition is now on 170,000 which guarantees Parliament has to consider it for debate which was the intention. Of course even the anti Trump petition is still miles behind the 17 million who voted Leave
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2017
    Will the Russians get the blame? Or the Americans? Someone will. The Russians, probably. Here is what Fillon is saying:

"To my knowledge, this has never happened before in the history of the Fifth Republic, never less than three months before a presidential election. This extremely powerful and highly professional operation has been launched with the sole goal of eliminating a candidate from the contest by undemocratic means."

"À ma connaissance, dans l'histoire de la Ve République, cette situation ne s'est jamais produite, jamais à moins de trois mois d'une élection présidentielle. Une opération d'une telle ampleur et aussi professionnelle n'a été montée que pour essayer d'éliminer un candidat autrement que par la voie démocratique."

C'mon, François, point the finger at someone!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

Didn't it reach some extraordinary level prior it even being mentioned on the telly?

No, it was being talked about almost immediately simply because of the rate of signings. It's probably the best publicised petition we have ever seen in the UK. Even more than the post Brexit one, which got more signatures but slower.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

AndyJS said:

The "anti-Trump" petition explicitly supports allowing Trump to visit Britain.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

London managed state visits by George W Bush in summer
  • Options
    Ravel Morrison has joined Championship side Queens' Park Rangers from Lazio on loan until the end of the season.

Holloway is going to have some busy days and nights dealing with that one.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Numbers signing a petition (or not) do not constitute a mandate.
    No, you need Twitter to claim a mandate :smile:
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

Will the Russians get the blame? Or the Americans? Someone will. The Russians, probably. Here is what Fillon is saying:

"To my knowledge, this has never happened before in the history of the Fifth Republic, never less than three months before a presidential election. This extremely powerful and highly professional operation has been launched with the sole goal of eliminating a candidate from the contest by undemocratic means."

"À ma connaissance, dans l'histoire de la Ve République, cette situation ne s'est jamais produite, jamais à moins de trois mois d'une élection présidentielle. Une opération d'une telle ampleur et aussi professionnelle n'a été montée que pour essayer d'éliminer un candidat autrement que par la voie démocratique."

I'd blame the EU, except I don't think they are that competent
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

The French are more than capable of political intrigue and dirty tricks without any outside help.

PS. There are some reports that Bayrou is getting closer to declaring his candidacy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

Also known as the Boche! :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Petitions tend to be overwhelmingly signed by the left, the pro Trump state visit petition is now on 170,000 which guarantees Parliament has to consider it for debate which was the intention. Of course even the anti Trump petition is still miles behind the 17 million who voted Leave
    The EU referendum one is also miles behind the 17 million ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

The French are more than capable of political intrigue and dirty tricks without any outside help.

PS. There are some reports that Bayrou is getting closer to declaring his candidacy.
    A Bayrou candidacy would boost Fillon (obviously he is working on him) and could be the kiss of death for a Macron presidency this year and ensure a Fillon v Le Pen run off
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I am rather looking forward to the tainted visitor, as him and May get cosy together.

Street protest and agitation is what Jezza does best.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Exactly but nonetheless the pro Trump state visit petition has ensured airtime for a contrary view and that Parliament has to consider it
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

wasd said:
    If these people move further to the right with age, they'll be real fascists by the time they're 50.
    Hopefully.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Both centripetal and centrifugal force are actual things in Newtonian physics. I don't expect you or Scott actually to know anything as difficult as that, but surely you can google this stuff before making prats of yourselves?

The forces must EXACTLY balance, hence the gag...

Undergraduate degree #1 was engineering, so I think I some idea. Chance of an apology?
    And mine was in Physics: if the forces balance it isn't accelerating so it isn't going round in a circle.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Contender for post of the year! :p
  • Options

And mine was in Physics: if the forces balance it isn't accelerating so it isn't going round in a circle.

Yes. Only one of them exists, but they are exactly equal in magnitude at all times. They must be, by definition.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Trump Train
    President Donald Trump will speak DIRECTLY TO THE PEOPLE via Facebook live regarding his #SCOTUS pick at 8PM EST. #MAGA
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Trump Train
    President Donald Trump will speak DIRECTLY TO THE PEOPLE via Facebook live regarding his #SCOTUS pick at 8PM EST. #MAGA

I certainly hope it's going to be 'huge'. :D
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Trump Train

Not yet at the stage of having it relayed by a news anchor over Facetime then.
  • Options
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/grimsb/status/826546873599135744

Yoooooooge
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Trump is in a very different category to George W Bush, who was mainly just seen as an idiot.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Both centripetal and centrifugal force are actual things in Newtonian physics. I don't expect you or Scott actually to know anything as difficult as that, but surely you can google this stuff before making prats of yourselves?

Undergraduate degree #1 was engineering, so I think I some idea. Chance of an apology?
    No: orbital motion is accelerating so the forces don't balance.
    Gravity is the centripetal force. Centifugal forces are only seen if you are in the frame of reference of the rotating (or orbiting) object.

Having said all that you missed the obvious mistake: Sean was talking metaphorically so Physics dosen't really apply, but he got the names the wrong way round.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/grimsb/status/826546873599135744

Yoooooooge
    Ah, it's going to be a "You're Hired" (technically "You're Appointed (Pending Congressional Approval)"?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Exactly but nonetheless the pro Trump state visit petition has ensured airtime for a contrary view and that Parliament has to consider it
    I think they'll consider both petitions at the same time. It would make sense.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes. Only one of them exists, but they are exactly equal in magnitude at all times. They must be, by definition.
    How can something be equal in size to something else that dosen't exist?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

How many marks is this question worth on the test sir?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

Scott_P said:

We could ask a question about Donald Trump's hands here...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

A good point, well made.
  • Options
    Physicists vs Engineers.... cue spherical cow jokes.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

A good point, well made.
    LOL, indeed.
  • Options

As you yourself noted, it's in a different frame of reference.

But at the expense of explaining the joke one more time, here's the original quote

SeanT said:

The centripetal forces within the EU are, arguably, just as strong as the centrifugal.

The centripetal and centrifugal forces are always just as strong as each other, by definition.

Da Boom, tish!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Four, but you have to show your working (a correctly labelled diagram may help).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Physicists vs Engineers.... cue spherical cow jokes.

In a vacuum...

I don't suppose Lame Abed owns a bone saw?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Trump is in a very different category to George W Bush, who was mainly just seen as an idiot.
    Anecdotal I know but I have never seen my usually apolitical office so animated by US politics!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Four, but you have to show your working (a correctly labelled diagram may help).
    I think I might come back it to as there appears to be easier marks elsewhere on the test.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Trump Train

1am our time?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854

Scott_P said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No: orbital motion is accelerating so the forces don't balance.
    Gravity is the centripetal force. Centifugal forces are only seen if you are in the frame of reference of the rotating (or orbiting) object.

Having said all that you missed the obvious mistake: Sean was talking metaphorically so Physics dosen't really apply, but he got the names the wrong way round.
    They do balance on a radial line between the centre of the circle and the object

(I'm assuming the orbit is a circle. I'm buggered if i'm doing the math for an ellipse)
  • Options
    Front page of tomorrow's Telegraph report Team Trump firing shots at Merkel and Germany over them apparently "abusing the Euro".
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I think they'll consider both petitions at the same time. It would make sense.
    They are Feb 20th
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I think I might come back it to as there appears to be easier marks elsewhere on the test.
    The multiverse section is a piece of piss in comparison.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Jobabob said:

The multiverse section is a piece of piss in comparison.

Completed it mate.
  • Options
    You can really tell that barely a quarter of our MPs supported Brexit.

Speech after speech is being made in the Chamber, here, supporting A50 through very gritted teeth.
  • Options
    Also many MPs seem to think they have cracking analogies for the invocation of A50, but they're almost all universally shite.
  • Options

Also many MPs seem to think they have cracking analogies for the invocation of A50, but they're almost all universally shite.

And are the analogies any good?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/826553860923731969

Crickey.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Dromedary said:

A Bayrou candidacy would boost Fillon (obviously he is working on him) and could be the kiss of death for a Macron presidency this year and ensure a Fillon v Le Pen run off
    Is there any news which you'd regard as positive for Macron?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

As you yourself noted, it's in a different frame of reference.

But at the expense of explaining the joke one more time, here's the original quote

SeanT said:

The centripetal forces within the EU are, arguably, just as strong as the centrifugal.

The centripetal and centrifugal forces are always just as strong as each other, by definition.

Da Boom, tish!
    Only if it isn't getting bigger or smaller, which I think was SeanT's point.
    However, I also think he meant to write that the centrifugal forces (i.e. those tending to push things apart) are just as strong as the centipetal (i.e. those tending to pull it together).

I'm not sure over-analyising metaphors is any better than over-analyising jokes, now that I finished all that.
This discussion has been closed.