Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the rebel has made the wrong call on the Article 50 vot

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2017
    David Lane, a prominent Denver plaintiff's attorney who frequently clashes with law enforcement, praised Gorsuch as fair and open-minded. Lane won a $1.8 million jury verdict against the Denver Police Department in a brutality and wrongful arrest case. The city appealed and the case ended up before Gorsuch. Lane said the judge tore into the city's lawyers and urged them to go to mediation rather than drag out appeals for years to deny the plaintiffs their reward. The mediation led the case to be settled for $1.6 million.

"He is a very, very smart man. His leanings are very conservative, but he's qualified to be on the Supreme Court," Lane said. "I don't know that Judge Gorsuch has a political agenda and he is sincere and honest and believes what he writes."
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Seems by all accounts of the ones Trump had on his list, he hasn't gone for a head banger.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:
    Sounds like something Jeremy corbyn would write!
    He's quite left wing for an Ohio senator.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    nunu said:

nunu said:
    Looking at the quotes from democrats in the guardian this seems to
    Party line of attack against the judge, that he is somehow a wall st / big business lackey, an extremist on social issues and unqualified for the role.

Even on CNN their panelists weren't really buying that.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

nunu said:
    Looking at the quotes from democrats in the guardian this seems to
    Party line of attack against the judge, that he is somehow a wall st / big business lackey and an extremist on social issues.
    They should go with the big business attack if they are smart peoples views on social issues are mainly fixed they won't win any voters from that angle.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Every GOP and Trump tweeter I've seen so far has been delighted with this choice.

Donald has ticked a big box here.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    edited February 2017
    PlatoSaid said:

Every GOP and Trump tweeter I've seen so far has been delighted with this choice.

I'm no fan of Trump, but this seems a sensible pragmatic choice. Gorsuch is also very clear that the role of judges is to interpret the law, not make it.

And of course, he went to the finest University in the world.....(which gets more than twice as many Marshall Scholars than some lesser, damper, Universities.....)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

PlatoSaid said:

I'm no fan of Trump, but this seems a sensible pragmatic choice. Gorsuch is also very clear that the role of judges is to interpret the law, not make it.

And of course, he went to the finest University in the world.....(which gets more than twice as many Marshall Scholars than some lesser, damper, Universities.....)
    That'd be Hull? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

That'd be Hull? ;)
    Actually, when I was there, the Engineers reckoned Hull was better for Engineering than either Cowley Tec or Fenn Poly.......
  • Options
    Welcome to the night shift @SeanT!
  • Options
    As Julian Lewis (Con, New Forest E) put it: ‘In my opinion the people have decided. I’m going to vote accordingly.’ And that was his speech in its entirety. Twelve words was all it took.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4177894/QUENTIN-LETTS-watches-Brexit-process-way.html#ixzz4XP5sgbKu
  • Options
    “If once the UK leaves, and Scotland decides to leave the UK, then you can join the queue after Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Turkey to join the EU.

“The rules are the rules – we can’t change the rules.”

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/independent-scotland-would-join-queue-to-get-back-into-eu-1-4353420
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    RobD said:

You really wouldn't have thought it from the coverage, would you! Same goes for the poll showing that more Americans support Trump's order than oppose.
    The biggest source of fake news is increasingly shown to be the mainstream media - let's see how much prominence this poll gets.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

PlatoSaid said:

Yes - seems like he will go through okay and has excellent qualifications.
    Doubt the democrats will want to go all Merrick Garland on this - I think they will recognise it could have been a lot worse (Ted Cruz, a Trump relative etc...)
  • Options
    @BBCJonSopel The choice of #JusticeGorsuch for #SCOTUS total crowd pleaser with #GOP establishment: Cruz, Rubio, Jeb, McConnell all purring contentedly
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    New thread... probably many hours ago :D
This discussion has been closed.