Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Anatomy of parts of the biggest ever political betting event

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2016
    Well I have to say this latest season of house of cards was bloody good and terrifying...that trump bloke winning who would have Adam and eve'd it right up until the final episode.
  • Options
    Bonnie Greer on SKY reckons this is an "extinction level event comparable to the Civil War"

My hyperbole detector just went off the scale!!!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    So what are the odds on Le Pen winning ?
  • Options

Bonnie Greer on SKY reckons this is an "extinction level event comparable to the Civil War"

Didn't she say something similarly OTT about Tories winning.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

That is the reasoning behind the EU army. Integrated forces do not carry that risk.

Worth bearing in mind that the rEU has a GDP of about 7 times Russia in PPP terms. 1% of EU spending is 7% of Russia's, and with only one border to defend. Russia could invade the Baltics or Poland, but would leave with its tail between its legs quickly enough.

Russia struggles to mount more than an exeditionary force in Syria without scaling back efforts elsewhere. If Trumpistan pulls out of NATO, an rEU defence arrangement with China may well work very well at holding the bear at bay.

All they have do is actually spend the money and trust the Germans...
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited November 2016

Just watched her do this.

It's exactly this sort of utterly preposterous, non-reality, anti-history, anti-democracy bullshit that is producing the real extinction event - the death of the libtard left.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Chris_A said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Worse than the EC, are the boundaries for the HoR - totally gerrymandered. I do not know the full details from yesterday, but Democrats routinely win by a huge number of votes and are not even competing for the HoR.

Lord knows ours are not perfect, but even accepting I've probably only seen the worst examples of gerrymandered districts, they can get pretty ridiculous over there.
    Try the top 3 here for size! And people moan about our Boundary commissions moving one side of the street from one constituency to another.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/qsahmed/the-10-most-gerrymandered-districts-in-america-dh45?utm_term=.as5Dn8q3N#.xevZ5Axa3
    Must be bloody difficult to figure out which bits on the ground are your district or not.

Except I suppose not, since if you are the incumbent it was your party which pushed for the unholy mess in the first place.

Seriously, the Boundary Commission should use these as examples before they show off their proposals, as it will warm people up to even their more controversial ones.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,106

Did she specify what has become extinct?
  • Options

It's exactly this some of utterly preposterous, non-reality, anti-history, anti-democracy bullshit that is producing the real extinction event - the death of the libtard left.
    The BBC had a woman who just banged on about too many straight men in charge...not well.trump policy on this or that is a bad idea....no it was he wasn't a woman nor gay.
  • Options

Have to be a bit careful...I was in north Carolina when Obama won & had to be locked in a supermarket while there was a big fight in the parking lot.
    Someone on the 5Live phone in described Brexit and Trump as "the Western Spring". I see some truth in that, but also see how that worked out...
    Which Western leader will be the first to be dragged out of a culvert by the enraged WWC and sodomised by a bayonet?
  • Options

Have to be a bit careful...I was in north Carolina when Obama won & had to be locked in a supermarket while there was a big fight in the parking lot.
    Someone on the 5Live phone in described Brexit and Trump as "the Western Spring". I see some truth in that, but also see how that worked out...
    Which Western leader will be the first to be dragged out of a culvert by the enraged WWC and sodomised by a bayonet?
    Farage.
  • Options

Poor example surely, since american democracy survived the Civil War, so not an extinction level event.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Well Hollande is about as popular as Boris standing for Liverpool mayor!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867

chestnut said:

MaxPB said:

On NATO, the NATO Europe ex UK shortfall is €116bn per year, will Europe really be willing to plug such a huge gap?

If Trump is true to his word they will have no choice or leave Nato and set up their own army. No wonder they are 'bricking' it
    A Nato consisting of just the 2%ers would be interesting. Just us the Yanks, the Turks, the Greeks and tbe Estonians.

Not sure that I would be willing to fight for that!

Winding up NATO is long overdue, it is well past its sell by date. We should take control and leave.
    That could well be true, but imagine you were Polish and at home in Poland.

How would you feel without NATO facing the Russians?
    How would you feel about re-arming the Germans to deal with it?
    That is the reasoning behind the EU army. Integrated forces do not carry that risk.

Worth bearing in mind that the rEU has a GDP of about 7 times Russia in PPP terms. 1% of EU spending is 7% of Russia's, and with only one border to defend. Russia could invade the Baltics or Poland, but would leave with its tail between its legs quickly enough.

Russia struggles to mount more than an exeditionary force in Syria without scaling back efforts elsewhere. If Trumpistan pulls out of NATO, an rEU defence arrangement with China may well work very well at holding the bear at bay.

An army needs a strong fighting spirit. Would an EU army have that? I think it would have lots of brass hats, and not much more.
  • Options

Hollande about as popular as Boris standing for Liverpool mayor!
    Honestly the way his popularity has been reported over the years it seems an achievement that he will serve out his term at all.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2016
    Earlier today I said RodCrosby was predicting a Clinton win but that wasn't correct. Apologies for the mistake. Rod has contacted me to say that he's leaving PB.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hollande about as popular as Boris standing for Liverpool mayor!
    Honestly the way his popularity has been reported over the years it seems an achievement that he will serve out his term at all.
    Did we establish if that poll with him on 5% was genuine?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Poor example surely, since american democracy survived the Civil War, so not an extinction level event.
    "Poor example" is an understatement. It's no example at all. How can this stupid bint compare a war that killed in total nearly a million people with a democratic and peaceful election. Has Trump been elected on a mandate to enslave the blacks? No. But incredibly she thinks so. And the worst part of all this is that she gets to spout her utterly ridiculous hyperbole unchallenged on a supposed "press review" on a national TV channel.

It's no wonder the masses of the West are waking up. Finally. Roll on 2017 and elections in Europe...
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Having seen the HRC results, how do people think a Bernie v Trump contest would've played out?
  • Options

It is admission time once again. A few days ago I posted that I had lost all interest in the Presidential race as Hillary Clinton was going to walk it. In the spirit of that declaration I told my good lady that I was going to sleep through to the morning as I had no reason to want to listen to a foregone conclusion.

Well as happens at my time of life I needed a bathroom call at about 2.30am and being unable to resist the temptation I checked the position on my smart phone, and at that moment in time , I was back to Brexit. Transfixed I didn't leave the media until 1.00pm lunchtime when I decided to have a rest.

Just as with Brexit where I voted remain I was so wrong and maybe those of you on this forum will now realise that I decided years ago I would be no good at betting

I almost went to bed when rcs "called it" for Hillary last night. Was kept up by a document I was writing, fortunately. Wouldn't have wanted to miss that. Enjoy the rest of your evening, early night I suspect!
  • Options

kle4 said:

"Poor example" is an understatement. It's no example at all. How can this stupid bint compare a war that killed in total nearly a million people with a democratic and peaceful election. Has Trump been elected on a mandate to enslave the blacks? No. But incredibly she thinks so. And the worst part of all this is that she gets to spout her utterly ridiculous hyperbole unchallenged on a supposed "press review" on a national TV channel.
    I just turned it on and she was asking the other guest how Hillary did in Michigan as she'd turned it off because she didn't want to watch the horror show!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867

It's exactly this some of utterly preposterous, non-reality, anti-history, anti-democracy bullshit that is producing the real extinction event - the death of the libtard left.
    The BBC had a woman who just banged on about too many straight men in charge...not well.trump policy on this or that is a bad idea....no it was he wasn't a woman nor gay.
    Yet, Trump did surprisingly well with minorities.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sean_F said:

Sky news had a Mexican journalist on and he reported that Mexicans based near the border in el Paso had reported to him that many voted for trump.
  • Options
    I see Newsnight gave up any pretence of impartiality by playing 'The Fool on the Hill' over a montage of Trump's victory.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    houndtang said:

I see Newsnight gave up any pretence of impartiality by playing 'The Fool on the Hill' over a montage of Trump's victory.

Well the bbc one special to analyze the result earlier on had 8 guests, of which the only pro trump was the ukip guy who got one minute at the end. So of course they all had f##k all real idea how or why he won.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2016
    Much in the media about Trump's victory and how he tapped in to the inner emotions of the American voter. Not much said about Clinton winning the popular vote. It could be said that she won the argument (just) but was defeated by the Electoral College System.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    houndtang said:

Sky news earlier was embarrassing with the bias on show.

How dare those pesky voters choose Trump.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sky news had a Mexican journalist on and he reported that Mexicans based near the border in el Paso had reported to him that many voted for trump.
    There was also the Afro Carribean guy and the reporter just couldn't compute he had voted for Trump.

Well, it really is an interesting time to be alive.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Much in the media about Trump's victory and how he tapped in to the inner emotions of the American voter. Not much said about Clinton winning the popular vote. It could be said that she won the argument (just) but was defeated by the Electoral College System.

Remember when LEAVE won the popular vote on June 23rd.....?
  • Options
    Floater said:

houndtang said:

Despite CNN reputation, last night they were pretty much straight as a die in their coverage. I found it very enjoyable getting the data without the spin bullshit from politicians or talking heads.
  • Options

It is admission time once again. A few days ago I posted that I had lost all interest in the Presidential race as Hillary Clinton was going to walk it. In the spirit of that declaration I told my good lady that I was going to sleep through to the morning as I had no reason to want to listen to a foregone conclusion.

Well as happens at my time of life I needed a bathroom call at about 2.30am and being unable to resist the temptation I checked the position on my smart phone, and at that moment in time , I was back to Brexit. Transfixed I didn't leave the media until 1.00pm lunchtime when I decided to have a rest.

Just as with Brexit where I voted remain I was so wrong and maybe those of you on this forum will now realise that I decided years ago I would be no good at betting

I almost went to bed when rcs "called it" for Hillary last night. Was kept up by a document I was writing, fortunately. Wouldn't have wanted to miss that. Enjoy the rest of your evening, early night I suspect!
    I did go to bed.

Imagine my shock when I turned the tv on this morning.

I was surprised by the shy trumpers speaking out this morning in the break out area.

• Options

It's exactly this sort of utterly preposterous, non-reality, anti-history, anti-democracy bullshit that is producing the real extinction event - the death of the libtard left.
    Every cloud has a silver lining.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

All they have do is actually spend the money and trust the Germans...
    Two big asks.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Didn't Paddy Power start paying out on H Clinton last month? Did that actually happen?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AndyJS said:

Earlier today I said RodCrosby was predicting a Clinton win but that wasn't correct. Apologies for the mistake. Rod has contacted me to say that he's leaving PB.

His google spreadsheet had it narrowly for HC on Monday as I recall.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited November 2016
    Floater said:

I did go to bed.

I was surprised by the shy trumpers speaking out this morning in the break out area.

At my work place there was the usual gaggle of women who were in full blown repeating of whatever the BBC told them to say and 'think' that morning, whilst the men in the office (and the more senior women) didn't even mention the election, or only with a wry sense of humour.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

Floater said:

houndtang said:

Despite CNN reputation, last night they were pretty much straight as a die in their coverage. I found it very enjoyable getting the data without the spin bullshit from politicians or talking heads.
    Yes, I thought the same. The numbers guy repeated himself quite a bit but otherwise it was fine.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

The Latvian MEP guest on Newsnight compared a potential Trump-Putin entente with the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact...
  • Options
    looks like months/years of baffled liberals debating how/why Trump got in without ever seeing the wood for the trees.
  • Options

Floater said:

houndtang said:

Yes, I thought the same. The numbers guy repeated himself quite a bit but otherwise it was fine.
    Given the length of the coverage & guess catering for people not watching every minute will let him off the repetition.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

looks like months/years of baffled liberals debating how/why Trump got in without ever seeing the wood for the trees.

Not really. Understanding why someone voted for Brexit or Trump does not mean buying into their worldview in the sycophantic manner of Plato.

We shall see how the "Western Spring" goes for the WWC of Trumpistan.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    houndtang said:

But isn't that song about someone who is actually wise but is wrongly called a fool by others?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

houndtang said:

But isn't that song about someone who is actually wise but is wrongly called a fool by others?
    This is not the time for facts.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

houndtang said:

Not really. Understanding why someone voted for Brexit or Trump does not mean buying into their worldview in the sycophantic manner of Plato.

One problem is that they are latching on to a very simplistic explanation...it's the white poorly educated who have been hard done by by globalisation (same reason given for Brexit)...but it doesn't explain the rise in Latino voting trump compared to Romney or trump winning educated white women easily...same as brexit explanation doesn't explain high Asian vote for Brexit in places like birmingham or highly educated rich parts of Surrey.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,496

houndtang said:

I agree - you can understand a view without buying into it. But it would be nice if a few more people would try. In some circles it feels as if it is taboo to even try to understand why people might vote for Trump - that unless you jump on the all-Trumpers-are-racists/fascists/idiots with both feet then you are morally suspect too.
    I wouldn't have voted for Trump if I was an American voter. But I'd like to think I would have displayed some polite curiosity about why those that did, did. Not least because you persuade no-one by treating them with contempt.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    edited November 2016
    houndtang said:

Simon Schama was distressed....
  • Options

Floater said:

I did go to bed.

At my work place there was the usual gaggle of women who were in full blown repeating of whatever the BBC told them to say and 'think' that morning, whilst the men in the office (and the more senior women) didn't even mention the election, or only with a wry sense of humour.
    It was a mature lady who surprised me most.

Actually enthusiastic about the victory.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

houndtang said:

I agree - you can understand a view without buying into it. But it would be nice if a few more people would try. In some circles it feels as if it is taboo to even try to understand why people might vote for Trump - that unless you jump on the all-Trumpers-are-racists/fascists/idiots with both feet then you are morally suspect too.
    I wouldn't have voted for Trump if I was an American voter. But I'd like to think I would have displayed some polite curiosity about why those that did, did. Not least because you persuade no-one by treating them with contempt.
    I would go further than that. If we want to defeat racism, fascism or Islamism, then we need to understand the appeal of these world views.

Most people are shades of grey, very few completely black and white, and everyone is redeemable.
  • Options

Floater said:

houndtang said:

TBH not really that interested in American politics.

But what America does really does affect us all.

I have actually been watching Fox in the run up and last night.

It wasn't as bad as I feared but I did have to turn over every now and again if it got to irritating.

However, the election cover was actually pretty good and they had no idea Trump was in such a good position and certainly not a lot of ramping last night.

But, I did bow out before 1am - because Robert convinced me it was all over :-)
  • Options
  • Options
    Let's lighten things up with a joke.

What do you call Donald Trump, bouncing along Pennsylvania Avenue on a space-hopper in February?

"Mr. President".

I'll fetch my coat.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762

SeanT said:

Unlike Obama, the only global leader who just unilaterally drones his enemies?

Even Hillary said, "why can't we just drone this guy" of Assange. US presidents assume the imperial right to assassinate, or vapourise, anyone in the world they don't like, as long as it's in a country that won't or can't complain.

America killed thousands in Iraq, Putin kills thousands in Syria. Neither country was or is directly threatened. It's all bollocks. We have virtually no moral superiority any more. That is the problem.

America is responsible for the deaths in Syria. If it hadn't attempted its 'Arab Spring', the Sunni uprising in Syria would never have happened, and Syria would still be a charming holiday destination with an ok-if-you-don't-get-on-the-wrong-side-of-them ruling family.
    I suppose, by the same logic, France and Britain were responsible for the murder of 6 million Jews last century. If they hadn't defended themselves against German invasion, Germany wouldn't have lost WW1, there would have been no Hitler and therefore no Holocaust?

I am sorry. The people responsible for a crime are those that carry it out. Deliberate Russian bombings of marketplaces and hospitals in Syria are the responsibility of the man who ordered them to be carried out - Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Bree Newsome ‏@BreeNewsome
    If you think folks who elected Trump would've been more amenable to Bernie being first Jewish US president, you missed what happened tonight

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I think no one is so deluded to say it was a tiny minority. At least 20% of Trump voters are like this.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    California is reporting just 8.9 million votes at the moment compared to 13.0 million in 2012.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Matthew Parris seems to be suggesting we turn back the close 150 years and take the vote away from the riff-raff

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/can-trust-people-trump-im-no-longer-sure/

That it is Matthew Parris should remind us that there are veyr many on the right, not least in the Republican Party itself, to whom Trump is anathema. It is not just those snobby lefties on the telly.
    This is a very good point, but some people are so right wing the people way they talk, you'd think the only people in the world concerned about a Trump presidency are metropolitan liberal lefties who live in Islington and no one else. We've heard similar in relation to being concerned by Vladimir Putin as well. People early in this thread talking about identity politics, this site doesn't have an issue with identity politics - see the various references to WWC and WVM. As expected, identity politics only becomes an issue when it's used in relation to ethnic minorities and women.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Jason said:

She's going on about identity politics, she still doesn't get that people have had their fill of that stuff.

The left will never accept any other ideology than identity politics and the culture of victimhood. It's the reason why they infantilise their supporters, from cradle to grave. It is corrosive, it is destructive, it is stupid beyond belief, and it will consign them to electoral oblivion right across Western democracies.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this debate between Milo and Stefan Molyneux on identity politics and free-stuff/infantilisation of the electorate. Milo is growing on me - he can be very sharp and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYI9HO6aF0
    Milo really isn't the one to sight on anything, especially given his behaviour on Twitter this year towards Leslie Jones, which reveals his own ugly prejudices.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    What a depressing response on Newsnight when they visited a college campus. Before the result, they asked a set of students (some pro Trump and some pro Clinton), if America was in a good place and they all say no but the Trump supporter says but I think we are still the best country and the black Clinton supporter just screams the words "white privilege", rather than engage with why they think that might not be the case.

Nearly as depressing as at this years World Series of Poker, where a British guy (who from his name has some non algo-saxon heritage) and went deep with a particularly annoying style of talking a lot was screamed at by a white American guy that he should "check his privilege, check his privilege".
  • Options
    "One fact that doesn’t fit very well into this narrative is that Clinton leads in the popular vote count. She should eventually win the popular vote by 1 to 2 percentage points, and perhaps somewhere on the order of 1.5 million to 2 million votes, once remaining mail-in ballots from California and Washington are counted, along with provisional ballots in other states."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-a-difference-2-percentage-points-makes/
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    perdix said:

Which is a good system for the UNITED STATES of America as it increases the amount of power each small STATE has and thus prevents a few large states acting in collusion from over-riding the others - which would make the country far less United..

If there wasn't the 2-senator seat addition then California would have 53 out of the 219 votes needed to win (nearly 1/4 ) meaning that whoever won California would have a very good chance of winning. The central states on the other hand would only have 1 or 2 votes.

Although Clinton won the popular vote, she lost the NUMBER of states that co-operate to elect the President (Quite convincingly 29-22?) Since it is the obligation of the States under the constitution to select someone to guide them then this seems a fair result. A travesty under the US constitution would be if only the largest states had voted for Clinton (or Trump) so that the majority of the States had no say.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

What a depressing response on Newsnight when they visited a college campus. Before the result, they asked a set of students (some pro Trump and some pro Clinton), if America was in a good place and they all say no but the Trump supporter says but I think we are still the best country and the black Clinton supporter just screams the words "white privilege", rather than engage with why they think that might not be the case.

Such is the state of many US colleges. It is very depressing to think how narrowly they ar3bveing taught to think
  • Options
    nunu said:

I think no one is so deluded to say it was a tiny minority. At least 20% of Trump voters are like this.
    And with Jewish blood in the (soon to be) First Family as well.Maybe they might learn to tone it down.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Being Lesbian, Gay, Black or Hispanic doesn't prevent you from losing your job or being impoverished.
  • Options

Such is the state of many US colleges. It is very depressing to think how narrowly they ar3bveing taught to think
    At best it isn't helpful, at worst it is racist....
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Faisal Islam, Sky suggesting that there will be an early invitation to the new POTUS to no 10.

He went on to say 'Some in government think they have just been dealt the Brexit Trump card'

The European leaders have been very churlish today and not really done themselves any favours.

Trump is seeking 2% defence spending into the pot from all Nato members for him to continue protecting them within Nato.

Of course UK is the only other Nato member committed to the 2%.

With the UK leaving the EU and the hole in the EU's finances a large scale increase in funding of Nato will be 'popcorn time'

Bullshit ! Trump is in line to become the next failed politician.

He will be remembered for NOT building the wall. [ Actually building a useless wall might boost the Mexican economy ].

How is he going to bring back factories to the rust belt ? Press a button ?
    Your comments have nothing to say about Brexit and Nato.

Would be interested if you agree that EU countries will need to make their defence spending up to the 2% each towards Nato spending as demanded by Trump
    No. Putin is our friend now. Trump may even ask him to join Nato. The South China Sea is where the action is. And Philippines, Malaysia are hanging out with China !!!
    I have no beef with Putin. If he wants to conquer a quasi-Fascist Ukraine, what do I care.

He's better than Erdogan, our supposed ally, who is an actual Islamist, and who covertly supports ISIS, who in turn want to slaughter us all. Putin BOMBS Isis.

Likewise Saudi, our other supposed allies. Why are the Saudis good and Putin bad?

Russia is the peak of civilisation compared to the hideousness of Saudi Arabia.

At least Trump's presidency might sweep away much of this canting nonsense.
    I have beef with Putin. Deliberately bombing hospitals and markets in Syria and killing thousands of civilians in the process just to cause diplomatic trouble makes him just about the nastiest of murderous tyrants in the world at the moment.

Not that we have clean hands. But at least we try to minimize not maximize death.
    Appallingly naive or wilfully inaccurate.
    The USA weapons are so accurate that they can kill 50 people at a wedding without hurting the passers-by.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

She's going on about identity politics, she still doesn't get that people have had their fill of that stuff.

worse, what use is identity politics if a chunk of the black electorate wont turn out to vote for a white candidate ?
    This inconvenient truth might result in the Dems looking for another black candidate in 2020. Michelle Obama?
    If Trump delivers on some of his promises you might find the AA vote continues to swing in his direction, even running against Michelle. Percentages of the kind Obama got in a two way race in a functioning democracy are unsustainable.
    Didn't Trump get 8% of the AA vote? That's more than Romney but just under the average % the GOP have got in the last several decades.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

Being Lesbian, Gay, Black or Hispanic doesn't prevent you from losing your job or being impoverished.
    Maybe i missed it, but of all trumps sins (the racist overtones, the sexist stuff, etc) when he has been gone bigly anti-gay?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    If you add the Trump (47.5) + Johnson (3.2) totals you get to 50.7 and the Clinton (47.7) and Stein (0.9) totals you get to 48.6. That is very close to the Leave 51.89 and Remain 48.11 result of EU ref. The slight difference between Brexit and Trump's election it seems was that libertarians in the UK voted Leave but libertarians in the US voted for Johnson rather than Trump
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"One fact that doesn’t fit very well into this narrative is that Clinton leads in the popular vote count. She should eventually win the popular vote by 1 to 2 percentage points, and perhaps somewhere on the order of 1.5 million to 2 million votes, once remaining mail-in ballots from California and Washington are counted, along with provisional ballots in other states."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-a-difference-2-percentage-points-makes/

Winning big in your heartlands is very comforting but it doesn't help in the swing states. Piling up votes in California whilst deciding that Wisconsin was so safe that you didn't need to visit after the primaries shows that someone wasn't paying attention.

The Democrats made some tactical errors that seems beyond doubt.

And few people saw what was really happening on the ground. The question is why
  • Options

Hurry up Michigan and New Hampshire!

NH has less than a million votes to count FFS!

NYT has them both @100%.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

Maybe i missed it, but of all trumps sins (the racist overtones, the sexist stuff, etc) when he has been gone bigly anti-gay?
    Pence is the one with an appalling track record on that issue. As well as denying evolution...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,916

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Can't remember whether I've posted this already, it's been a long day:

"Can we trust the people? After Trump, I’m no longer sure
    Matthew Parris"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/can-trust-people-trump-im-no-longer-sure/

Matthew Parris thinks the politicians should elect the people.
    Parris is becoming a ludicrous figure. I wonder if he is actually a bit demented. He is knocking on.
    Parris has always been a snob.

Even back in the 1970s he would refer to Thatcher as 'Hilda' as he thought it was a more plebian name than Margaret.
    He wrote a nice article about how if you want to see human frailty go sit in the observers gallery whilst the bankrupt and the indebted are tried. He also wrote a nasty article about a seaside resort which was badly failing and he said that it should be abandoned/written off. In both cases his view of people is that of an outsider who, whenever they discover human stupidity, frailty or evil, are disappointed, surprised and saddened. It's a view I think common amongst the high-net-value and the influential of all parties, and one that distances them from their fellow humans.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Sean_F said:

Pence is the one with an appalling track record on that issue. As well as denying evolution...
    Oh yeah I forgot about him and his cure the gayism stuff.
  • Options

When he appointed Pence as his VP.
  • Options
    A lot of people on here are using exit polls to claim Trump did better with minorities than Romney, be careful of using these as it looks people projected from the exit polls last time to suggest Obamas winning coalition was less white than thought. More recently it was revealed Obama actually did better than thought with whites in the mid west.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Winning big in your heartlands is very comforting but it doesn't help in the swing states. Piling up votes in California whilst deciding that Wisconsin was so safe that you didn't need to visit after the primaries shows that someone wasn't paying attention.
    Especially as she did make several visits to places like Hollywood, Martha's Vineyard and the Hamptons to raise money.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

malcolmg said:

Have to publicly apologise to Dromedary for doubting his claim to winning a near six figure sum , having had photographic evidence I have to congratulate him and eat lots of humble pie. A brave man indeed.

Thanks for the apology, MalcolmG, which is accepted!
    I won a three-figure sum (£150 stake@10/3, returns £650, profit £500). That's nearly the same as a six-figure sum, right?... :)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    If you haven't seen it the Rubin report has been very interesting over the past year, some great interviews and also picked up a lot of interesting things going on in America. Despite being from the left, he is very critical of his own side and interested in talking to thinkers from the right.
  • Options
    nunu said:

A lot of people on here are using exit polls to claim Trump did better with minorities than Romney, be careful of using these as it looks people projected from the exit polls last time to suggest Obamas winning coalition was less white than thought. More recently it was revealed Obama actually did better than thought with whites in the mid west.

Don't let these pesky facts get in the way of some people's analysis though. I thought you made a very good point today re identity politics. The GOP have been doing it for years. America is a country founded upon identity politics. The rest of America's history is merely minorities responding to that. And to those that think Trump is going to be able to shit on minorities and have no fight back from them: think again, think again.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

His google spreadsheet had it narrowly for HC on Monday as I recall.
    Yes, it was. Rod may have made other predictions (his favorite modeller Norpoth went Trump many months ago and never wavered) but his spreadsheet was Clinton up until the day before polling. PB's pool of competent mathematicians will be lessened if Rod leaves.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Have spent the last eight hours hunkered down in a room at work. Will probably see some of this stuff on my walk home.. not planning to stay out too late given previous riots in my area!
  • Options

If you haven't seen it the Rubin report has been very interesting over the past year, some great interviews and also picked up a lot of interesting things going on in America. Despite being from the left, he is very critical of his own side and interested in talking to thinkers from the right.

Linky?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    viewcode said:

Linky?
    If you search YouTube you will find his channel..He has has all sorts of interesting people from Stephen fry (being serious and deep) to Sam Harris.

Extended maajid Nawaz interview was particularly interesting, where he tells his life story and also his thoughts on modern islam.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Trump was deep in the incredibly racist Birther shit in 2011. If you don't think he deserved to be mocked then all I can say is "Safe space, saaaaafe spaaaaaace"

Some on this site are quick to tell everyone why they should understand someone's racist/sexist views. Yet as soon as minorities come in to talk about their experiences these same people are inclined to dismiss their views and act like they know more about the lives of minorities than minorities do.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    viewcode said:

When he appointed Pence as his VP.
    Trump waved an LGBT flag at a Colorado rally and his convention speech was supportive of the LGBT community
  • Options
    Rogueywon said:

What do you call Donald Trump, bouncing along Pennsylvania Avenue on a space-hopper in February?

"Mr. President".

I'll fetch my coat.

"SpaceHopper One". Of course, when he's not riding it it's just "AngelHopper"
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    CNN has called NH for Clinton, even though very close:

Clinton 346,816
    Trump 345,379
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    viewcode said:

Rogueywon said:

"Mr. President".

I'll fetch my coat.

- or Hair Force One
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

Rogueywon said:

"Mr. President".

I'll fetch my coat.

- or Hair Force One
    Winner winner chicken dinner.
  • Options
    Waiting for a final result?

"One reason we might not know California election results for a while

County election officials across California won’t know exactly how many vote-by-mail ballots have been cast until Monday, which could dial up the intrigue in any super-close races.

As long as a mail-in ballot has been postmarked by election day Tuesday and received within three days, it must be counted by state law. But Friday is Veteran’s Day, a federal holiday with no mail delivery, and government offices are closed on the weekends."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-election-day-2016-the-number-of-mail-in-ballots-cast-will-1478634132-htmlstory.html
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

Rogueywon said:

"Mr. President".

I'll fetch my coat.

- or Hair Force One
    :)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

County election officials across California won’t know exactly how many vote-by-mail ballots have been cast until Monday, which could dial up the intrigue in any super-close races.

As long as a mail-in ballot has been postmarked by election day Tuesday and received within three days, it must be counted by state law. But Friday is Veteran’s Day, a federal holiday with no mail delivery, and government offices are closed on the weekends."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-election-day-2016-the-number-of-mail-in-ballots-cast-will-1478634132-htmlstory.html

Well color me a spoiler, but I doubt we need to wait in suspense for the California result.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Well color me a spoiler, but I doubt we need to wait in suspense for the California result.
    It will not be "huge", I can tell you that :D
  • Options

nunu said:

Don't let these pesky facts get in the way of some people's analysis though. I thought you made a very good point today re identity politics. The GOP have been doing it for years. America is a country founded upon identity politics. The rest of America's history is merely minorities responding to that. And to those that think Trump is going to be able to shit on minorities and have no fight back from them: think again, think again.
    Yes when SeanT says he will crack down on Black lives matter....hmmm I don't think that will have the response he think it will. They are not double barrelled white poshos over there like those that took over city airport.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Yes when SeanT says he will crack down on Black lives matter....hmmm I don't think that will have the response he think it will. They are not double barrelled white poshos over there like those that took over city airport.
    I'm not remotely surprised someone like SeanT would think that way. There is an irony in critiques of identity politics encouraging minorities to see themselves as victims. The same charge could be levelled at the right and the WWC. In reality minorities and the WWC are both victims in societies which for centuries have demonised them. I think the right might be surprised that many white working class people don't see themselves as so separated or different from minorities. Nor do they all spend their days bleating on about the liberal-left and the PC Brigade.
  • Options
    Huh, PB a lot quieter tonight!
This discussion has been closed.