Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Anatomy of parts of the biggest ever political betting event

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    PlatoSaid said:

Obama is speechifying again. He's talking about Hillary in the past tense as if she's dead.

Well, politically...

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,851
    OllyT said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Matthew Parris seems to be suggesting we turn back the close 150 years and take the vote away from the riff-raff

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/11/can-trust-people-trump-im-no-longer-sure/

Deny people the option of pursuing political change peacefully, by voting, and eventually they will pursue it violently. What conservative would want that?
    Indeed. Democracy exists to prevent political argument turning into political violence.

I'm sure Parris knows this but for people like him it's been a VERY traumatic six months... I can understand if the trauma of it all has sent him a bit loopy.
    So what would today have been like if Trump had won the popular vote but lost the EC? What would he have been saying in his speech? Inciting people to take to the streets - almost certainly because that's what he was saying prior to the vote even happening.

Trump and people like yourself would have been yelling about a "rigged election" and "the will of the people being frustrated" by the "elite" blah blah blah. The comical thing is you don't even recognise your own hypocrisy.

Considering I've never supported Trump (though I was the first person on PB to say he had a decent chance of being POTUS at the start of 2015) and would probably have voted for Hilary if I had a vote, I'd have been very "relaxed" about the outcome described...

The point is, the people have spoken. You, me and Parris may not like the answer but that's democracy.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

She's going on about identity politics, she still doesn't get that people have had their fill of that stuff.

worse, what use is identity politics if a chunk of the black electorate wont turn out to vote for a white candidate ?
    This inconvenient truth might result in the Dems looking for another black candidate in 2020. Michelle Obama?
    A leftwing populist will be the frontrunner, if they are African American too that could be an advantage in the primaries
    Liza Warren.

It screams Liza Warren.
    If you mean Elizabeth Warren then she'll be 71 by next election.
    Only a year older than Hillary.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Green vote was higher than Trump's margin of victory in Michigan and Wisconsin.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Will the national polls be right? A Clinton lead of 3%?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

So was the Gary Johnson vote so it cuts two ways.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    edited November 2016
    Off-topic:

RAIB have issued a bulletin about today's tram crash:

The derailment occurred on the curve and initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at a significantly higher speed than is permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fatal-tram-accident-in-croydon
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If all those Green's had voted Hilary would we have President Clinton now?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

By how much? Not all Greens are straight Dem/Lab defectors - far from it. Some would probably just not have voted if no Stein.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Looks like Trump is going to just edge the popular vote as well. Still 0.1% ahead on RCP with all the large states at 100%.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

Voter turnouts this century for Presidential elections
    2008 - 62.2%
    2004 - 60.7%
    2012 - 58.6%
    2016 - 55.8%
    2000 - 55.3%

The little people spoke out loudest in 2012 and 2004. This year, not so much.

Still a bit better than I expected to be honest. But all the stories of incredible turnouts on election night always turn out to be mince (with the possible exceptions of Sindy and, more arguably, Brexit).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Looks like Trump is going to just edge the popular vote as well. Still 0.1% ahead on RCP with all the large states at 100%.

Clinton is already 250,000 votes ahead. RCP must have stopped updating their information.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    paddys have a market out on to which state donald trump will make his first state visit. top 5 are:

Evs Russia
    6/4 Mexico
    4/1 Israel
    4/1 Scotland (yes really)
    5/1 Canada

I've tried to look at past preseidential visits and for the last 4 presidents it was Canada, Canada, Mexico, Canada (altho the definition of a state visit might need clarifying).

Canada seems a big price to me at 5's. DYOR
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    DavidL said:

Nooooo!
    I only made two big bets, one on Trump to win and the other on Hillary 0-5% win in the pop vote.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

He's 200,000 behind on Fox election centre.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

It would take Trump below 270. Some states still in doubt.
  • Options
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    SeanT said:

I'm still laughing,

It's hit them that hard down in the Dordogne?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    nunu said:

Will the national polls be right? A Clinton lead of 3%?

More likely to be around 1%, 48% to 47%.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm still laughing,

It's extraordinary. I know we compared Brexit to Trump and all the factors pointed in the same direction, but I still can't quite believe it.

• Options
    Jesus death toll of Croydon crash expected to rise.
  • Options
    First effect of the Trump victory, the political establishment in both the Republican and the Democratic parties has been castrated and decapitated:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/11/the_democratic_party_establishment_is_finished_after_trump.html

That is a healthy thing, renewal of ideas and people is good in politics.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,367
    edited November 2016

Off-topic:

The derailment occurred on the curve and initial indications suggest that the tram was travelling at a significantly higher speed than is permitted.

Five dead, sounds pretty bad. Speed limit is 12 mph apparently. I've been round that curve towards New Addington several times, albeit not for a few years.

First fatal "rail" incident for a long time IIRC.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    TOPPING said:

Some reports the tram was exceeding the speed limit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

One man be truly overjoyed this morning, his knowing he will be in work for the next four years:

Alec Baldwin

LOL. When I saw Sarah Palin being interviewed this morning, and the commentators suggesting she might be up for a role, I immediately thought of Tina Fey and the fun she could have for the next four years too.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Nooooo!
    I only made two big bets, one on Trump to win and the other on Hillary 0-5% win in the pop vote.
    Clinton is 250k ahead with the popular vote. Not sure what's up with RCP.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I still can't quite believe what happened last night - it's the third all-nighter that's taken many by surprise or at least left us pinching ourselves as the good news rolled in.

What a year - and there's so much fun to be had next year with a bunch of Euro elections.

"at least left us pinching ourselves as the good news rolled in."

What is good about the news?

Oh, I forgot this is loony right-wing blog - apologies!
  • Options

She's going on about identity politics, she still doesn't get that people have had their fill of that stuff.

This is why she was the wrong candidate. It's pretty clear that this election was won on rustbelt economics.
    Not necessarily. If the white working class across the western world decide they need to start voting tribally to protect their interests, there's going to be a big realignment.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

I still can't quite believe what happened last night - it's the third all-nighter that's taken many by surprise or at least left us pinching ourselves as the good news rolled in.

What a year - and there's so much fun to be had next year with a bunch of Euro elections.

Each to their own. I don't really see how it benefits us much even if it is good for the USA, as some believe.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Where has 619 gone?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

Trump won the election according to the rules.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

The next act? GE 2020? UKIP.

(((Rob Ford))) ‏@robfordmancs 30m30 minutes ago
    (((Rob Ford))) Retweeted (((Rob Ford)))
    If your a Lab MP representing a Northern seat that voted Brexit, those vote patterns should rightly terrify you.

"If you're a Labour MP..." Sheeesh....
  • Options

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

worse, what use is identity politics if a chunk of the black electorate wont turn out to vote for a white candidate ?
    This inconvenient truth might result in the Dems looking for another black candidate in 2020. Michelle Obama?
    A leftwing populist will be the frontrunner, if they are African American too that could be an advantage in the primaries
    Liza Warren.

It screams Liza Warren.
    I thought she was a decade younger than that! Still three years younger than Trump though, and she would probably be the ideal Dem candidate next time.

Who's the younger version of herself, NY Senator Kirsten Gillibrand?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    MP_SE said:

Where has 619 gone?

Still celebrating Hillary's win

he'll have one hell of a shock when he sobers up
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Where has 619 gone?

Contract expired at midnight ET last night.
  • Options
    Mr. Chelyabinsk, indeed. Northern constituents *might* turn purple (I mean far north of England).
  • Options
    Los Angeles County:

2012 votes: 3,181,067
    2016 votes so far: 2,227,263

Clearly a lot more votes to come from LA.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/states/california/president
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_California,_2012
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

Some reports the tram was exceeding the speed limit.
    It's fairly official now: see the quote in my post below. Now the question is why? Driver error, system failure, or a combination?

The driver being arrested should not be seen as guilt: it's happened before when they've been found blameless.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I'm still laughing,

It was the talk over breakfast this morning, in my Chateau. What surprised me was the French I chatted with were quite positive about Trump, as they felt he would be hard on Islamism, radical Muslims, ISIS and terror. This is important in France.

Perhaps they were all Le Pen voters and I got a weird tiny sample. Very possible. But it certainly wasn't the display of Gallic horror I expected.
    Overheard snippet as I was passing those poncey food stalls outside King's X station by one of the stallholders:

"It's the same as Brexit: poor people didn't vote for him."

L'elite est mort, vive l'elite.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Yep amazing, the day the rustbelt roared. That image says everything.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

The next act? GE 2020? UKIP.

(((Rob Ford))) ‏@robfordmancs 30m30 minutes ago
    (((Rob Ford))) Retweeted (((Rob Ford)))
    If your a Lab MP representing a Northern seat that voted Brexit, those vote patterns should rightly terrify you.

"If you're a Labour MP..." Sheeesh....
    :D
  • Options

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

Trump won the election according to the rules.
    .. although he did claim it was rigged.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    RobD said:

First, like Trump!

Rob, you were correct today , Dromedary fairly mashed my turnip for me. I have to go now and grovel and apologise.
  • Options

This is why she was the wrong candidate. It's pretty clear that this election was won on rustbelt economics.
    Not necessarily. If the white working class across the western world decide they need to start voting tribally to protect their interests, there's going to be a big realignment.
    I think the democrats got their candidates the wrong way round. If Hillary had got the nomination instead of Obama I think she'd have won in 2008 and 2012 and Obama would have won yesterday.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Have to publicly apologise to Dromedary for doubting his claim to winning a near six figure sum , having had photographic evidence I have to congratulate him and eat lots of humble pie. A brave man indeed.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the end, if I was a Yank, i guess I would have voted for the awful Hillary, out of fear that the lunatic Trump might blow up the world - but boy, am I enjoying the histrionic pant-pissing of the liberal left today.

This AND Brexit. Two enormous, grievous, brutal, bewildering blows against liberal elitism, and PC, and multiculti, and all that dreadful lefty shite in one year. YAY.
    and France and Germany next year, with all bets off
  • Options

Off-topic:

Five dead, sounds pretty bad. Speed limit is 12 mph apparently. I've been round that curve towards New Addington several times, albeit not for a few years.

Last train passenger killed was at Greyrigg, nine years ago. The one before that was Potter's Bar.

Trains and planes have got a whole load safer over the past couple of decades.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options

Yep amazing, the day the rustbelt roared. That image says everything.
    Michael Moore was right about the rustbelt:

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/
  • Options
    When Obama won the first time in 2008, we did not have all these tv reports focusing on people that voted for the losing side. What has changed, or was Obama's victory in line with the what tv news reporters wanted to happen?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2016
    Remaining to count:
    http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president/map

NYT live forecast going for a Clinton lead of +1.3, which is astonishing - I did suggest here a few times a large chunk of Trump's chances were in winning while losing the popular vote, but never imagined that sort of gap, was thinking 0.25% or the like.

Democrats need to be firing a good chunk of their staff, it's an incredibly inefficient votemap they've managed to produce.

Edit: Nate Cohn just posted ..... "Clinton 63.4m, Trump 61.2m"
  • Options
    Mr. G, blimey. Congrats to Mr. Dromedary. Maybe he'll become Mr. Bactrian (might need a second hump to store all that cash).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Last train passenger killed was at Greyrigg, nine years ago. The one before that was Potter's Bar.

Sorry to be pedantic. It's Potters Bar.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, shades of upset voters being interviewed by a confounded media after the referendum here?
  • Options

When Obama won the first time in 2008, we did not have all these tv reports focusing on people that voted for the losing side. What has changed, or was Obama's victory in line with the what tv news reporters wanted to happen?

Never has a US President fallen so short of the media hype, that preceded his election.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I'm still laughing,

It was the talk over breakfast this morning, in my Chateau. What surprised me was the French I chatted with were quite positive about Trump, as they felt he would be hard on Islamism, radical Muslims, ISIS and terror. This is important in France.

Perhaps they were all Le Pen voters and I got a weird tiny sample. Very possible. But it certainly wasn't the display of Gallic horror I expected.
    You sound as though you invite people almost unknown to your Chateau!

I imagine you've read Houllebecq's novel 'Submission' ?

• Options

AndyJS said:

By how much? Not all Greens are straight Dem/Lab defectors - far from it. Some would probably just not have voted if no Stein.
    Absolutely, it was just a talking point.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

paddys have a market out on to which state donald trump will make his first state visit. top 5 are:

Evs Russia
    6/4 Mexico
    4/1 Israel
    5/1 Canada

I've tried to look at past preseidential visits and for the last 4 presidents it was Canada, Canada, Mexico, Canada (altho the definition of a state visit might need clarifying).

Trump should go to Canada first.

That way he can say Hello to all of the celebrities who said they would leave the country and move there if he won. Of course they all say that and never do.

Heading for Canada today in theory are Barbra Streisand, Bryan Cranston, rape hoaxer Lena Dunham, Neve Campbell, Keegan-Michael Key, Ne-Yo and Raven-Symoné.

Also buggering off today if they stick to their promises should be Miley Cyrus, Amy Schumer (Spain), Jon Stewart, Cher, Chelsea Handler, Samuel L Jackson (off to South Africa), Whoopi Goldberg, George Lopez, and "Rev" Al Sharpton.

• Options

Never has a US President fallen so short of the media hype, that preceded his election.
    BBC guy just now amazed that RNC guy happy that Republican won.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

It would take Trump below 270. Some states still in doubt.
    Although presumably the Gary Johnson vote was higher than the Green vote in both states as well so... (Johnson voters more likely to go Trump than Clinton in a forced choice)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

MP_SE said:

Where has 619 gone?

Still celebrating Hillary's win

he'll have one hell of a shock when he sobers up
    Part of me really likes the Darwinian nature of this site.....

• Options
    SeanT said:

Can we have a minute of rightful and apologetic respect for Plato, who got a terrific kicking and slating on here for her constant cheerleading for Trump and her predictions of Hillary's defeat?

Turns out PLATO WAS RIGHT, AND THE REST OF US WERE WRONG.

So suck it up, PB, and learn to hear the dissenting voice, sometimes they are right, and might even make you money. I understand one Rod Crosby also did very well from last night.

I've always offered my congratulations for Plato.

Have been wondering about Rod...
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Remaining to count:
    http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president/map

NYT live forecast going for a Clinton lead of +1.3, which is astonishing - I did suggest here a few times a large chunk of Trump's chances were in winning while losing the popular vote, but never imagined that sort of gap, was thinking 0.25% or the like.

Democrats need to be firing a good chunk of their staff, it's an incredibly inefficient votemap they've managed to produce.

Edit: Nate Cohn just posted ..... "Clinton 63.4m, Trump 61.2m"

It's not astonishing because there are still millions of votes to be tabulated in California and Washington. They're famous for being very slow. Last time it took weeks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Can we have a minute of rightful and apologetic respect for Plato, who got a terrific kicking and slating on here for her constant cheerleading for Trump and her predictions of Hillary's defeat?

Turns out PLATO WAS RIGHT, AND THE REST OF US WERE WRONG.

So suck it up, PB, and learn to hear the dissenting voice, sometimes they are right, and might even make you money. I hear one Rod Crosby also did very well from last night.

I backed Trump but the problem was not Plato's analysis but her indiscriminate posting of anything (and what often seemed like everything) that crossed her twitter feed so often you'd waste time watching videos or clicking through links and using google to discover the latest rumour was nonsense on stilts. At one point she had us analysing fuzzy images of earlobes because a drunk and/or terminally ill Hillary was using body doubles at rallies.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    SeanT said:

So suck it up, PB, and learn to hear the dissenting voice, sometimes they are right, and might even make you money.

That's true - but do not forget that might, at some point, be true of the left wingers who have been having such a torrid time of late. Even Remoaners.
  • Options
    On any other day, this would be biggest news:

Croydon tram: Seven dead and 50 injured after derailment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37919658
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think the BBC sent 120 reporters/hangers on etc, to Barry’s inaugural speech. – I’d be surprised if they sent even half that to Trump’s.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

TOPPING said:

Bill in the background I wonder what he's thinking.

"I did not have sex with that woman".
    Actually, it was: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".
    Which to older generations was true. What Bill, Monica and the cigar did was heavy petting and that did not count as sex. In an age when contraceptives were at best unreliable, that distinction mattered. To those people, Bill told the truth.
    I believe 'the pill' was developed in 1960. In other words: Bollox!
  • Options

I think the democrats got their candidates the wrong way round. If Hillary had got the nomination instead of Obama I think she'd have won in 2008 and 2012 and Obama would have won yesterday.
    Obama's a better candidate personally (although he couldn't have deployed his hopey-changey stuff after eight years of Hillary), but all other things being equal I think a black candidate in 2016 would have been an even worse decision. For years Democrats and Republicans looked at the demographics of ethnic minority groups and wondered how best to appeal to them. Then along comes Trump, and asks what happens if you consolidate the white vote. And now he's president-elect.

Morris Dancer is absolutely right: Labour are trying to build an election-winning base off the same mix of middle-class professionals and ethnic minorities as the Democrats. It only works as long as you don't alienate your core voters, and it seems - for better or for worse - as if the genie of ethnocentrism may be starting to escape the bottle. We could be in for a lot more identity politics over the next few decades.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited November 2016
    Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Liza Warren.

It screams Liza Warren.
    I thought she was a decade younger than that! Still three years younger than Trump though, and she would probably be the ideal Dem candidate next time.

Really? She going to win back the conservative rural white older voters in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan? Im not so sure? Maybe if there's a recession and millions of jobs are lost by the job creator. As for Gillibrand look up her net worth.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think the BBC sent 120 reporters/hangers on etc, to Barry’s inaugural speech. – I’d be surprised if they sent even half that to Trump’s.
    Which we should surely applaud, since they get criticised for taking too many to such things as it is a waste of money etc.
  • Options
    What they usually do in California is count about 70% of the votes very quickly on the night, and then they take days or even weeks to count the other 30%. It's a bit weird.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

TOPPING said:

Bill in the background I wonder what he's thinking.

"I did not have sex with that woman".
    Actually, it was: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".
    Which to older generations was true. What Bill, Monica and the cigar did was heavy petting and that did not count as sex. In an age when contraceptives were at best unreliable, that distinction mattered. To those people, Bill told the truth.
    I believe 'the pill' was developed in 1960. In other words: Bollox!
    Is it? Or is it still grounds for annulment of marriage by non-consummation?
  • Options
    nunu said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Liza Warren.

It screams Liza Warren.

Really? She going to win back the conservative rural white older voters in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan? Im not so sure? Maybe if there's a recession and millions of jobs are lost by the job creator. As for Gillibrand look up her net worth.

It's more about getting Democrats to vote.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    GeoffM said:

That way he can say Hello to all of the celebrities who said they would leave the country and move there if he won. Of course they all say that and never do.

He could give them a lift on his airplane.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Obama's a better candidate personally (although he couldn't have deployed his hopey-changey stuff after eight years of Hillary), but all other things being equal I think a black candidate in 2016 would have been an even worse decision. For years Democrats and Republicans looked at the demographics of ethnic minority groups and wondered how best to appeal to them. Then along comes Trump, and asks what happens if you consolidate the white vote. And now he's president-elect.

Morris Dancer is absolutely right: Labour are trying to build an election-winning base off the same mix of middle-class professionals and ethnic minorities as the Democrats. It only works as long as you don't alienate your core voters, and it seems - for better or for worse - as if the genie of ethnocentrism may be starting to escape the bottle. We could be in for a lot more identity politics over the next few decades.
    Labour aren't trying to build an election-winning anything.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    It seems that the national polls will have been pretty accurate this time around. It's just that Trump was absolutely right the election was rigged. As the small rural states are almost universally Republican their over-representation in the Electoral College is probably a bigger bias than exists in our electoral system.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's not astonishing because there are still millions of votes to be tabulated in California and Washington. They're famous for being very slow. Last time it took weeks.

By astonishing I mean losing fairly comprehensively, despite that % lead. The Gore gap in 2000 was only 0.5%, and the previous time before that (1888!) it was 0.8%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Which we should surely applaud, since they get criticised for taking too many to such things as it is a waste of money etc.
    ...such as Glastonbury.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I'm still laughing,

You sound as though you invite people almost unknown to your Chateau!

I imagine you've read Houllebecq's novel 'Submission' ?

It wasn't MY Chateau. I was staying in a hotel made from a Chateau.

http://www.chateaudelatreyne.com/en/
    Ah.. I see :)

I had imagined that your well written words (and those, perhaps less so, here) had paid off. Next week then.

You're quite right to send congratulatory words to Plato - she was almost the only voice which predicted this.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

I'm still laughing,

Was in Nice today.

Guy I was with - having pedicted Brexit and Trump - is now predicting MLP. Ulp!

Interestingly he also said that Juppe is respected by the French for his corruption case. He didn't make any money personally but took the rap for Chirac and didn't dish the dirt on his boss. French people believe that is a good thing...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Evs Russia
    6/4 Mexico
    4/1 Israel
    5/1 Canada

Heading for Canada today in theory are Barbra Streisand, Bryan Cranston, rape hoaxer Lena Dunham, Neve Campbell, Keegan-Michael Key, Ne-Yo and Raven-Symoné.

Also buggering off today if they stick to their promises should be Miley Cyrus, Amy Schumer (Spain), Jon Stewart, Cher, Chelsea Handler, Samuel L Jackson (off to South Africa), Whoopi Goldberg, George Lopez, and "Rev" Al Sharpton.

US presidents always visit Canada first, don't they?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

By astonishing I mean losing fairly comprehensively, despite that % lead. The Gore gap in 2000 was only 0.5%, and the previous time before that (1888!) it was 0.8%.
    I agree, it looks like at least a one point lead which would be 1.3 million votes. Clinton piling up useless votes (under this system) in California, New York, Illinois.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Where has 619 gone?

To Cromwell land
  • Options

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Liza Warren.

It screams Liza Warren.

I'm still waiting to see whether non-voters voted this time.

Tim (not that one) earlier said yes. I would like to see if it was indeed the case. If it was, it has implications for future election strategy.
  • Options
    Romney in 2012: 47.20%
    Trump, latest figure: 47.48%
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What they usually do in California is count about 70% of the votes very quickly on the night, and then they take days or even weeks to count the other 30%. It's a bit weird.

Oh feck am I going to have to wait weeks for my Stein bet to pay out?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    edited November 2016
    SeanT said:

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

In the end, if I was a Yank, i guess I would have voted for the awful Hillary, out of fear that the lunatic Trump might blow up the world - but boy, am I enjoying the histrionic pant-pissing of the liberal left today.

This AND Brexit. Two enormous, grievous, brutal, bewildering blows against liberal elitism, and PC, and multiculti, and all that dreadful lefty shite in one year. YAY.

A few hours in and Trump's presidency does not look even remotely threatening. He does deals and will say what he has to in order to get them done. Then he'll happily renege if it suits him. As a result, a lot of what he said during the campaign will be very quickly dropped; while the secret service briefings will keep him honest on foreign affairs, though Israel can expect a lot more overt support and financial backing. Most intriguing, though, is that the right now owns it all in the US and the UK. They have to deliver. There will be no blaming anyone else if they don't. Cosseted as I am from the real world, I am genuinely interested to see how it all plays out.

• Options

GeoffM said:

Evs Russia
    6/4 Mexico
    4/1 Israel
    5/1 Canada

US presidents always visit Canada first, don't they?
    george W bush visited mexico first, then canada. reagan did mexico then canada but he was still president elect when he went to mexico so I reckon that leaves canada as his first. so that means 4 of last 5 went to canada first and it's a 5/1 shot.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Off-topic:

Sorry to be pedantic. It's Potters Bar.
    Indeed it is. Wiki was right and I copied it wrong. It's been a long day, that's my excuse and I'm sticking by it!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

Oh feck am I going to have to wait weeks for my Stein bet to pay out?
    Could be. What was the bet?
  • Options

SeanT said:

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

Israel can expect a lot more overt support and financial backing.
    Invited Netanyahu over as soon as is practicably possible.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

nunu said:

Sandpit said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Liza Warren.

It screams Liza Warren.

I'm still waiting to see whether non-voters voted this time.

Tim (not that one) earlier said yes. I would like to see if it was indeed the case. If it was, it has implications for future election strategy.

Given the turnout and the overall vote numbers, if a lot of non-voters did vote a lot of usual voters did not. More likely, non-voters did what they usually do and stayed at home.

• Options

SeanT said:

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

A few hours in and Trumps presidency does not look even remotely threatening. He does deals and will say what he has to in order to get them done. Then he'll happily renege if it suits him. As a result, a lot of what he said during the campaign will be very quickly dropped; while the secret service briefings will keep him honest on foreign affairs, though Israel can expect a lot more overt support and financial backing. Most intriguing, though, is that the right now owns it all in the US and the UK. They have to deliver. There will be no blaming anyone else if they don't. Cosseted as I am from the real world, I am genuinely interested to see how it all plays out.

This is why Trump's presidency bothers me a lot less than Brexit (sorry to bring it up, an' all). Here we voted tangibly for economic damage to the country. In the US, they voted for a more or less standard, yes rough round the edges, but otherwise as you said, bog-standard US president who will be constrained quite strongly as to what he can or can't do.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Dunno if this has been posted before, but just found Pollyvote. They're assessing different methodologies, prediction markets, poll aggregators, etc. Econometric models (an average of 18 of them) got closest, with C+0.4% - although they're not very accurate normally. There's a lovely graph comparing the different methods here:
    http://pollyvote.com/en/combining-forecasts/which-forecasting-method-provides-the-most-accurate-forecasts/
  • Options
    The factoid about the Republicans only winning the popular vote once still 1988 still stands after this election.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016

A few hours in and Trumps presidency does not look even remotely threatening. He does deals and will say what he has to in order to get them done. Then he'll happily renege if it suits him. As a result, a lot of what he said during the campaign will be very quickly dropped; while the secret service briefings will keep him honest on foreign affairs, though Israel can expect a lot more overt support and financial backing. Most intriguing, though, is that the right now owns it all in the US and the UK. They have to deliver. There will be no blaming anyone else if they don't. Cosseted as I am from the real world, I am genuinely interested to see how it all plays out.

How much interest will he take in actually governing? My guess is - not a lot. It's too much like hard work, it's frustrating because you can't just bully your way through, most of it is detailed boring stuff, and he has no experience of high (or even lowly) office. It is most likely, therefore, that a cabal of associates, or possibly one dominant figure, will gradually move in to fill the power vacuum. How good or bad his presidency is will depend enormously on who those people are.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    AndyJS said:

Andrew said:

AndyJS said:

I agree, it looks like at least a one point lead which would be 1.3 million votes. Clinton piling up useless votes (under this system) in California, New York, Illinois.
    Not entirely the Democrat's fault. It required 81k voters to win Clinton 1EC vote in California., but Trump only needed 41k in Wyoming and similarly Dakotas, Alaska, Montana
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

murali_s said:

PlatoSaid said:

This is why Trump's presidency bothers me a lot less than Brexit (sorry to bring it up, an' all). Here we voted tangibly for economic damage to the country. In the US, they voted for a more or less standard, yes rough round the edges, but otherwise as you said, bog-standard US president who will be constrained quite strongly as to what he can or can't do.
    What constitutes a non-bog-standard US president then?

You have to admit you're on poor ground!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I am reconciled to Trump now with the proviso that we don't see war.

Why?

Because this give the right-wingers their chance, a natural experiment.
    Lords of all they survey in Britain and the USA, dominating both houses of Congress, there is nothing in their way.

Trump has made massive promises to improve the lives of the working class. Brexiteers have promised to Take Back Control and transform us into swashbuckling, globe-trotting traders again.

They have no more excuses. No more:
    "The EU won't let us"
    "The Lib Dems won't let us"
    "Congress messed it up"
    "The Supreme Court blocked it"
    (OK, they will still have "the badgers moved the goalposts" and "It's the wrong kind of snow", but still...)

Although Clinton won the poorest households (under $30k p.a.) there was a huge swing towards the Republicans in that segment of the US. Similarly, you can see that the Tories and UKIP are taking bigger chunks of the working class than ever before.

If they let them down with recessions, damage to living standards, betrayal, they will be found out. And if they succeed - then progressives can steal their policies and create a SNP-type nationalist, centre-left programme.
  • Options
    Why oh why did Hillary go to Ohio, it wasn't even remotely close but the "leak" I had heard was the Dem internals had it 50/50 when public polls had a Trump win.

This is why I am I treated in their big data operation , did they know this was coming or was it a total failure. Why wasn't she in other razor edge Midwestern states rather than billion point Trump win Ohio?
This discussion has been closed.