Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a dramatic night the PB/Polling Matters team analyse Tru

Comments

• Options
    Katy Kay obsessing over race.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Alistair said:

The final IBD/TIPP poll gave Trump a 2 point lead. He is almost certainly not going to have that.

Clinton presently polling the same percentage of the popular vote as Romney and getting the lowest number of electoral college votes of any Democrat since Dukakis. The Democrats will certainly swing left after this result
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    I'm not a large stakes bettor but this was my biggest betting win ever, by far.

Still feel sick to my stomach. Time to turn off the TV and avoid politics and the news for a while.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2016

Pong said:

Well done Plato.

What also surprised me was being repeatedly told between midnight and 1.30am that 'it is over' in favour of Clinton.

Even exit polls can be wayward if one candidate is associated with something you wouldn't want to admit in public. That 'shy Trump' aspect seemed clear to some of us.

As for Nate Silver declaring that he would no longer include the LATimes tracker in his model 'because it has been an outlier all year' what a crass piece of cherry picking.

IBD/TIPP Tracker poll once again performed superbly.

Nate is completely vindicated.

He was basically right (25-33% chance of a trump victory) - and for the right reasons (polling MOE/ uncertainty) - although the LA times episode wasn't his finest hour.

That black Trump voter in Ohio was pretty much the story of the election.

An inconvenient truth.
    Nah he's a berk. Even at 5 am he was still predicting better than evens for a Clinton win. He's an idiot.

Trump was always likeliest to win this vote as some of us pointed out.
    Don't mean to nitpick, but...

Trump actually lost the popular vote.

• Options

Just been said that the Paris climate change deal is dead as a result of Trump's Presidency. This election has to have been the left's ultimate demise

The survival of life on Earth is a left/right issue, is it? Who knew?
    It's exaggerations like that which have left the political class in contempt by so many that people like Trump get elected in the first place.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Icarus said:

Tom Lehrer is supposed to have said when Henry Kissinger won the Nobel peace prize "Satire is Dead" Is Politics now also dead?

If Trump did that and nothing else for the US he would have done a service. He had pretty much no branch network in the battleground states, no GOTV operation worth talking about, was outspent about 2:1 in the latter stages and won handily. Is it just possible that the grip of big money on the US might finally be loosened?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

JackW said:

Good Morning PBers ....

A new dawn has broken has it not .....

Firstly. Whilst @Plato is in the house :

I congratulate you most heartily on your success, together with other PBers who saw this wave coming. Very well done. A stunning triumph - Trumpsters - Enjoy the adulation and bask long in your moment in the sun.

Whilst I mention a "wave" it will be a wave goodbye to the ARSE. We've enjoyed some huge wins over the past ten years on PB but all good things come to an end and I know when the time is to leave the field. And that time is now.

Perhaps no ARSE, but do drop by from time to time please.
    +1

JackW is one of the few conservative (?) commentators on here whose posts I read with avid interest.
    I believe Jacobite is his affiliation:-)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    JackW said:

Good Morning PBers ....

I congratulate you most heartily on your success, together with other PBers who saw this wave coming. Very well done. A stunning triumph - Trumpsters - Enjoy the adulation and bask long in your moment in the sun.

Whilst I mention a "wave" it will be a wave goodbye to the ARSE. We've enjoyed some huge wins over the past ten years on PB but all good things come to an end and I know when the time is to leave the field. And that time is now.

Fair play Jack, as ever it would be fascinating to read a debrief on what happened.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Dromedary said:

malcolmg said:

Dromedary said:

Good morning everyone. I am in the emotionally conflicted position of having won nearly £80K at Betfair on what I consider to be the most abhorrent major election result in the western world in my lifetime - the election in the US, with mass support, of a billionaire fascist demagogue who models his presentation on Hitler.

CUCKOO
    You'll have to explain that one to me, Malcolm!
    OK, fantasy unless you can show us the betting slips perhaps.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,043
    edited November 2016

Trump will have trouble with his plans mind:

"His day one reforms include a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on all members of congress and a five-year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service." [Telegraph]

Congress gonna vote for that?

That At least, the attempt that is, would indeed be amusing, if nothing else.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

So was the election rigged or not?

#confused

The DNC and elves certainly tried in their own ways - from Brazile handing Hillary the debate questions to some fairly sophisticated ballot stuffing/bird dogging during the campaign.

The Project Veritas videos - a few of which I posted here captures it pretty well along with Wikileaks evidence.

The Scott Adams video provides some insight into the mindset behind that behaviour too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    rcs1000 said:

Amazingly, the Italian stock market is up this morning, while US futures point to down 5%.

The expected drop has shrunk to less than half of what it was just an hour or two ago.

It is hard to see markets rising over the coming weeks, however, whatever happens today.
  • Options

JackW said:

Good Morning PBers ....

Keep the Jacobite News Network functioning !!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Amazingly, the Italian stock market is up this morning, while US futures point to down 5%.

Still so confident that MLP can't win in France ?
  • Options

Just been said that the Paris climate change deal is dead as a result of Trump's Presidency. This election has to have been the left's ultimate demise

It is in America, much more than here.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

The other winner from tonight is Farage.

Perhaps we should send him to do a trade deal with the US?

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Well, here we are, Donald J Trump will be the next POTUS.

I thought it would be close but still expected Clinton to scrape over the line. Anyway, let's hope his rhetoric is more scary than his actions. Time will tell as ever...

• Options

Mr. L, on flipping states: Sanders came damned close to winning far more early states than he did. Had he done so, he may well have been Trump's opponent.

And Clinton goes down in history as the worst loser in US political history.

Yes. Big questions about both the Iowa and Nevada caucuses (in fact, as always, big questions about how democratic caucuses are at all). Had he won the first three states, the whole dynamic of that election would have changed. Then again, had he done so, others might have entered the field with Hillary clearly weakened. Then again, if my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

What a thoroughly interesting night. 2016 delivers a shock result again.

Where does this leave the UK in terms of Brexit? Assuming Trump is favourable to us, could be a positive thing. I'm sure Europes answer to this as well will be the catastrophic "more Europe" mantra.

It may be the end of the free trade era. Rising rather than falling tarrifs
    Never mind we are promised a soft Brexit with untold bounty awaiting us with all our great trade deals , negotiated by those 3 wise monkeys.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    Cricket Trumps politics
  • Options
    Essexit said:

What will be Donald's first act as Pres? Any ideas?

Swagger into the White House and say 'you're fired', Apprentice-style, to Obama.
    Not a popular view I know, but Trump can be gracious when called upon. He did it with Clinton when she collapsed in the street, he’ll do it again with Barry I’m sure.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Don't worry, Clintonites. Once the weeping has stopped, they'll be calling for a new election because of Trump-regret.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Those who went all out and bet on a Clinton presidency must be mourning their losses this morning.

Leaders here on political betting were telling us between midnight and 1am that putting money on Clinton was "free money"

I'm not exaggerating.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Rightly or wrongly, there will be many people waking up this morning scared and feeling less secure.

Not just in America, but also the world.

You can argue they're silly to do so, but it's still the case.

At the very least, Trump needs to reign in some of his campaign rhetoric.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Well, lesson learned is trust my gut. I could have been a lot bolder in betting on Trump. Still, around £150 up overall between bets on him in OH and PA placed before yesterday, and a bet on FL and the overall result placed in the wee hours. Small beer compared to some on here though!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    RobD said:

You gotta feel sorry for Clinton.

I don't. Sense of entitlement with ovaries is not reason enough to be elected to political office.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cricket Trumps politics

Heat hear. That can bring us all together. Apart from those weirdos who don't like cricket.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited November 2016
    malcolmg said:

Dromedary said:

malcolmg said:

Dromedary said:

Good morning everyone. I am in the emotionally conflicted position of having won nearly £80K at Betfair on what I consider to be the most abhorrent major election result in the western world in my lifetime - the election in the US, with mass support, of a billionaire fascist demagogue who models his presentation on Hitler.

CUCKOO
    FFS Malcolm, you're calling me a liar! I'll try to put a sceenshot up somewhere, so that you can apologise.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Well the world just became a more dangerous place

Really? You don't think unfettered immigration and playing soft on hard line Islam hasn't made the world an extremely dangerous place? That's one of the reasons 'we' voted Brexit and Trump.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Anyway in other news .........
    Does this mean we are now first in the queue?

*Gets coat and runs for Brexit*
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Don't worry, Clintonites. Once the weeping has stopped, they'll be calling for a new election because of Trump-regret.

There are parallels with Brexit there: Farage and some leavers were calling for a new referendum before they won. Trump and some of his supporters were saying the election had been stolen from them before he won.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2016
    So like we discuss here about how newspapers has less effect on the outcome, no amount of NYT articles & CNN / MSNBC talking about them around the clock stopped trump.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Dromedary said:

malcolmg said:

Dromedary said:

malcolmg said:

Dromedary said:

CUCKOO
    FFS Malcolm, you're calling me a liar! I'll try to put a sceenshot up somewhere, so that you can apologise.
    I don't think that's necessary!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Global warming is threatening to end all life on earth?
    It's possible, but not likely. It depends to a large extent on the timing of methane emissions from a thawing arctic. If we are unlucky, and it is released very rapidly, it could be enough to cause runaway warming, turning the Earth into a new Venus and annihilating all life on Earth. It depends on the exact numbers.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

Mr. L, on flipping states: Sanders came damned close to winning far more early states than he did. Had he done so, he may well have been Trump's opponent.

And Clinton goes down in history as the worst loser in US political history.

Isn't that Bush II
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Where's Miss @PlatoSaid this morning? Stand up and take a bow that lady.

I hope she gloats forever - she's earned it.
    :+1:
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    PlatoSaid said:

So was the election rigged or not?

#confused

The DNC and elves certainly tried in their own ways - from Brazile handing Hillary the debate questions to some fairly sophisticated ballot stuffing/bird dogging during the campaign.

The Project Veritas videos - a few of which I posted here captures it pretty well along with Wikileaks evidence.

The Scott Adams video provides some insight into the mindset behind that behaviour too.

BTW Well done for standing your ground.

• Options

JackW said:

Good Morning PBers ....

Hear, hear. No objection to the occasional bit of ARSE either.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233

It has been for ages. Surprised you haven't noticed
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I think that you'll find that it was Trump who said the election was fixed. Farage was calling for a 2nd referendum in the event of a 52:48 result.
    These are simple facts.
    I can't understand why you Leavers and Trumpers still act like losers when you have won.
  • Options

Rightly or wrongly, there will be many people waking up this morning scared and feeling less secure.

+ 1. Trump has made extraordinarily divisive comments regarding ethnic minorities and women. Many, across the world (including myself) will be thinking to what extent do all those who voted for Trump agree with those statements, and to what extent will the lives of now vulnerable demographics be affected in the US? Then there the implications in terms of international relations, and how that may affect us and other countries.

Not everyone is a right-winger desperate for the most right-wing government possible.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    So only WilliamGlenn, MikeL and MonikerDiCanio predicted the correct result on eve of poll although many of us were on Trump and benefited. Even Plato backed off and refused to make a prediction/back a winner. Yet, overall, I suspect PBers profited simply because it was obvious Trump would win at 2am despite being at 6 on Betfair. Hope everyone got on.
  • Options

+ 1. Trump has made extraordinarily divisive comments regarding ethnic minorities and women. Many, across the world (including myself) will be thinking to what extent do all those who voted for Trump agree with those statements, and to what extent will the lives of now vulnerable demographics be affected in the US? Then there the implications in terms of international relations, and how that may affect us and other countries.

Not everyone is a right-winger desperate for the most right-wing government possible.
    We just have to hope that you don't come.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

RobD said:

It's possible, but not likely. It depends to a large extent on the timing of methane emissions from a thawing arctic. If we are unlucky, and it is released very rapidly, it could be enough to cause runaway warming, turning the Earth into a new Venus and annihilating all life on Earth. It depends on the exact numbers.
    Methane clathrates are physically unstable so there could be a cascade effect if some start going
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

So only WilliamGlenn, MikeL and MonikerDiCanio predicted the correct result on eve of poll a

Er, so did I thanks
  • Options
    Astonishing to recall that you could get on Trump for 6.8, 7, even higher at various points in the evening. I did a little to stem some of the losses, but still held out mainly for Clinton.

• Options

jonny83 said:

Really? You don't think unfettered immigration and playing soft on hard line Islam hasn't made the world an extremely dangerous place? That's one of the reasons 'we' voted Brexit and Trump.
    Interfering in other folks affairs in the middle east created hardline islam. Own it.

• Options
    Why is everyone calling Clinton a bad loser? What has she said?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

Sandpit said:

Where's Miss @PlatoSaid this morning? Stand up and take a bow that lady.

Plato went all wobbly wobbly didn't she and went for a narrow Cliton win?
    I confirmed my opinion of months on Trump winning as a certainty the other week when that Jonah ,McTernan, went across to campaign for Hilary. That was the coup de grace for her.
    And Kezia Dugdale going to the USA to campaign for her. :tongue:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Wow, I hadn't realised that the Senate hadn't confirmed a new Justice, so there is a vacancy right now!

I think POTUS had to approve it - or Senate had to approve POTUS appointment. So deadlock.

One just hopes Trump will take advice while he adjusts to the office. He will have to start delivering reasonably soon.

Oh - and when will he get his Nobel Peace Prize?
    Well, if the good guys around the world are so worried about the prospect of a loose cannon in the White House, there's probably a few bad guys who have woken up this morning and gone "Gulp...This fella might actually do more than just move his lips and make sound...."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nothing :p
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2016
    IanB2 said:

We just have to hope that you don't come.
    Don't worry, I won't be heading to the US anytime soon! I will be feeling very sorry for my relatives which live there though.

EDIT: From her twitter, it looks like Katie Hopkins soon be going to America though!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    edited November 2016

rcs1000 said:

Yes.

(Assuming Juppe is his opponent.)

Don't forget, the polls all have him with a 2:1 lead in the second round, and the FN has not been out performing in real elections.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    MAGA

F***ing hell!

Looks like Plato had a point after all, a few apologies and a lot less abuse from all sides would be sensible.

Probably ought to start pondering Corbyn a bit more seriously, I mean the polls are bad for him, but pollsters are not exactly doing a great job right now.

Pundits, pollsters, forecasters, journalists, talking heads, think tank wonks, and all the other know-it-alls who fill the airwaves and newspapers should reflect on their job sand whether another line of employment might better serve them.

Will 619 do an IOS?
  • Options

Astonishing to recall that you could get on Trump for 6.8, 7, even higher at various points in the evening. I did a little to stem some of the losses, but still held out mainly for Clinton.

Didn't it almost go up to 10 at one point? Exactly like Brexit from a betting perspective.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

In a way, yes! AGW is a very serious issue - didn't you know that Rob?
  • Options
    Should we refer to this new phenomenon as 'Truxit' or 'Brump'?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

Eventually - yes. AGW is a very serious issue - didn't you know that Rob?
    I hadn't realised it could be so extreme as to wipe out all life on earth!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    DavidL said:

Not my take, but because she hasn't said anything publicly, that is why. Instead they sent out the lacky to tell people to go home.
  • Options

Astonishing except that we had EXACTLY the same phenomenon on GE2015 night and Brexit.

It's incredible how stubborn pundits were. Once again the liberal elite have shown themselves to be out of touch.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    For what it's worth....

46 states called

Clinton 218. Trump. 278
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    For me Ohio is the standout result from the election. Supposed to be a close race, it went 52-43 for Trump. Almost qualifies as a safe red state.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Looks like Plato had a point after all, a few apologies and a lot less abuse from all sides would be sensible.

Probably ought to start pondering Corbyn a bit more seriously, I mean the polls are bad for him, but pollsters are not exactly doing a great job right now.

Pundits, pollsters, forecasters, journalists, talking heads, think tank wonks, and all the other know-it-alls who fill the airwaves and newspapers should reflect on their job sand whether another line of employment might better serve them.

Will 619 do an IOS?

Politics is shifting rightwards. Pretty certain Corbyns actually numbers will be as poor as they look.
  • Options

Like Brexit it was clear from the early results that the polls were wrong - the problem this time was what appeared to be a powerful argument that Clinton had by far the easier route to 270 because of the supposed firewall. That made it more difficult to pile into Trump while the odds were still long. I have losses on the betting compensated for by a good profit on the financial markets, where it is easier to see a trend and follow it. Kudos to anyone brave who switched into Trump early in the night!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    RobD said:

Didn't it almost go up to 10 at one point? Exactly like Brexit from a betting perspective.
    Went over 10. Think it hit 11 at one point.
  • Options

I hope a few apologies to Plato are being drafted. You can disagree with her politics and her habit of retweeting and copy and pasting, but she has taken a lot of abuse from certain posters in here. A little humility from her tormentors would be nice.

@Jobabob, in particular, was an outright bully towards her. I'm not holding my breath waiting for an apology.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I think it may have touched 11 for a second or two. It's a bit hazy now. But yeh it was Brexit Redux. A "primal scream" as Axelrod is calling it. Plato was right. Looks like there are enough angry wwc americans to make a difference.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes.

(Assuming Juppe is his opponent.)

Don't forget, the polls all have him with a 2:1 lead in the second round, and the FN has not been out performing in real elections.
    That's a brave view considering the election will be a few months after Trump has arrived but still within his honeymoon period...
  • Options

jonny83 said:

Interfering in other folks affairs in the middle east created hardline islam. Own it.

I agree. That prick Tony Blair and other liberal metropolitan elites who opened Pandora's box and then flung wide the doors of the western world.

The people have spoken. And we've had enough.
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

Politics is shifting rightwards. Pretty certain Corbyns actually numbers will be as poor as they look.
    Well, it looks like it's shifting towards extremes, really. Greece's government is pretty much of the hard left.
  • Options
    glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

Doubt May will call an early GE now. She wasn't going to anyway.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Well if the land of the free can elect a misogynistic, racist demagogue then anything can happen.

The result has completely changed my view on Corby's prospects. If America can elect a maniac then so can this country.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I hope a few apologies to Plato are being drafted. You can disagree with her politics and her habit of retweeting and copy and pasting, but she has taken a lot of abuse from certain posters in here. A little humility from her tormentors would be nice.

@Jobabob, in particular, was an outright bully towards her. I'm not holding my breath waiting for an apology.
    Did tim ever apologise ?
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

It depends on whether he can ultimately paint himself as an insurrectionist. With UKIP increasingly looking like a colony of the Tory mother ship he may be able to do so, but I doubt it. He seems incapable of communication.

Whatever, there are big messages here for the SO/PLP wing of the party.
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

Is it shifting rightwards or towards no more of this and none of the above? I think its the latter and that gives Corbyn a slim chance
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

Well, it looks like it's shifting towards extremes, really. Greece's government is pretty much of the hard left.
    Paul Mason's masterplan is to rouse the same hunger for change but direct it at a Left-Syriza style movement/party.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

For what it's worth....

46 states called

Clinton 218. Trump. 278

Any idea what result constitutes a ‘landslide’ in the US? – Not a clue this end.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

I'm not sure that's the case, or at least the full story.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 3h3 hours ago
    The liberal era is over. It's done. We have to protect what we can. But we have to realise, we won't be able to protect everything.

Early morning hyperbole?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The Republican woman on the BBC actually just said well he hasn't won a mandate....
  • Options
    According to RCP Trump's lead in the popular vote is up to 0.8%. There will still be a lot of votes in the west but I expect him to win a couple more Midwestern states yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    As others have said, it's beyond perplexing that Establishment clever dicks over the pond apparently learned nothing from Brexit.

And then the same issues slapped them in the face with a wet haddock last night. I've CNN on in the background and the same talking heads who'd no idea what was motivating these oiks yesterday - are now all experts in why it happened.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

For what it's worth....

46 states called

Clinton 218. Trump. 278

Any idea what result constitutes a ‘landslide’ in the US? – Not a clue this end.
    This election was pretty close. Change the votes by 1% or so and enough states go to Clinton so she would have won.
  • Options
    I have desire to be harsh with Clinton but when you have a result which many genuinely feel is horrendous and a disaster, be it this, Brexit or tories winning, and the vote was fair then the only people who can be blamed are the voters directly and the terrible candidates. If things are obviols, as I too thought, only a terrible candidate could have failed.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

I agree. That prick Tony Blair and other liberal metropolitan elites who opened Pandora's box and then flung wide the doors of the western world.

The people have spoken. And we've had enough.
    I think it goes back rather further than TB. Watch bitter lake.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited November 2016
    Sorry to read JackW's tone of sadness and how his ARSE will now be covered from further public gaze. Today must be a very difficult day for him.

Having to break it to Lady Jack that the shoe-buying fund has been seriously depleted.....
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

On the economic side Corbyn can play to the discontented quite strongly, I would have thought? In London he is very popular with younger tenants on the receiving end of the housing crisis.

We have after all just heard a new Republican President announce that he is going to launch a massive FDR-style infrastructure investment programme.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They sent everyone home from their gathering saying she would speak in the morning. She has conceded to Trump in a phone call but has not spoken in public
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

Paul Mason's masterplan is to rouse the same hunger for change but direct it at a Left-Syriza style movement/party.
    Paul Mason is absolutely nuts. I really didn't have any inclining as to just how hard-left he was until he left Newsnight. I now no longer believe that a Corbyn victory is impossible. It's clear that polls are worth sweet fa, and that from here on now they should no longer be given an ounce of credibility.
  • Options

Did tim ever apologise ?
    Plato gives as good as she gets. It's her moment though..
  • Options

I've had him on Ignore for as long as I can remember. I occasionally see his playground name calling and roll my eyes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sending Podesta out to refuse to concede was a low point.
  • Options
    Why is Minnesota so Democratic compared with the rest of Mid-West ?
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113

It's exaggerations like that which have left the political class in contempt by so many that people like Trump get elected in the first place.
    The dimming of the Unenlightenment.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

As others have said, it's beyond perplexing that Establishment clever dicks over the pond apparently learned nothing from Brexit.

And then the same issues slapped them in the face with a wet haddock last night. I've CNN on in the background and the same talking heads who'd no idea what was motivating these oiks yesterday - are now all experts in why it happened.

Yep totally agree.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/business/media/media-trump-clinton.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region

But you would think they might have learned.
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, jein. I don't think it's a left/right issue. I think it's about globalisation benefiting those at the top, being difficult for those at the bottom, and substantially changing (through mass migration) the nature of nations.

You can look at that from a right or left wing perspective on either side.

Mr. L, when I said 'worst loser' I didn't mean graceless, I meant she was hot favourite in 2008, and favourite in 2016, and lost both times.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Morning all :)

Well, I'm happy to admit I was wrong - I thought Clinton would win albeit narrowly (278-260) was my final call but there were enough straws in the wind yesterday to suggest Trump was getting his vote out (or his vote was coming out) and Clinton's wasn't.

Interesting to see a quick rebound in the FTSE from the initial shock though it may be the DJIA will play a big part in the day's later trading.

As someone suggested earlier, it's probably a time for serious thinking rather than serious gloating or petty personal points scoring or jibes. We have to hope and expect the campaign rhetoric and the reality of Government will be two very different things and of course we now have this odd Transition period until January 20th when Obama is still POTUS.

Campaign rhetoric aside, I suspect Trump will be told by the Joint Chiefs and others that the US needs to stand behind its international commitments to NATO and Article 5 within the Treaty while all will welcome the toning down of the anti-Moscow rhetoric. The problem will shift to the Pacific and the uncertainty and fragility of the Sino-American relationship.

Huge numbers of questions, very few answers at this stage. Congratulations to Trump and his team and well done to those who won money on his election and commiserations to those who lost.
  • Options

glw said:

MAGA

F***ing hell!

Will 619 do an IOS?

We've Had A Tory Led Government For A While, USA Had LeftY goveRNMENT, We May React In The Opposite Direction. Sounds crazy, but...
  • Options
    Philip Collins ‏@PCollinsTimes 40s41 seconds ago
    The US and the UK both now have governments who rode a wave of populism but have no real idea what to do. Emptiness is as likely as disaster
This discussion has been closed.