Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After a dramatic night the PB/Polling Matters team analyse Tru

Comments

• Options
    Surprisingly Presidential speech.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    He's got the tone right so far.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

Pagan said:

Sandpit said:

Where's Miss @PlatoSaid this morning? Stand up and take a bow that lady.

If Plato had not pasted so much nonsense and obviously false reports, people might have taken her more seriously.
    It doesnt matter if what she pasted is nonsense or false, what matters is it is the same thing that those who voted trump were reading and therefore was worth factoring into your thinking
    Putin's trolls have excelled themselves, though I wonder if even Putin planned for this.

Off to an LD party meeting tonight, at least we won't just be talking of Brexit!
    You're not really going with Putin are you?
    Why not? There's certainly a point to be made with it.
    Ok then.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

President elect Trump arrives on Trump HQ stage to 'Airforce One' soundtrack accompanied by Melania and his family

Maybe he'll just keep using the Trump jet!
    Perhaps 'Trumpforce one?'
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Echoes of Tezza here
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,068

He's trying very gamely to drone out the odd calls to lock her up...

His words before his election will be like Obama's 'Hope' and 'Change': a millstone around his neck.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Great speech from Trump
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

Alistair said:

I don't have the time at present to look through the previous threads so can I ask what was the 'Sunderland moment' and when did it happen ?

Florida. The huge turnaround in the vote there made @rcs1000 completely reverse his position
    Florida was the Sunderland moment, what's the Newcastle confirmation it was not a one off?
    That Virginia for a long time was too close to call with Trump in the lead.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    So does he take phone call from Nigel or Tezza first ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,431
    He is so shallow
  • Options
    Congratulations to Plato for sticking to her guns despite the brickbats thrown.
  • Options

Pagan said:

Sandpit said:

If Plato had not pasted so much nonsense and obviously false reports, people might have taken her more seriously.
    It doesnt matter if what she pasted is nonsense or false, what matters is it is the same thing that those who voted trump were reading and therefore was worth factoring into your thinking
    Putin's trolls have excelled themselves, though I wonder if even Putin planned for this.

Off to an LD party meeting tonight, at least we won't just be talking of Brexit!
    Ok then.
    Are you saying Wikileaks did not have an influence on the election?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

You mean our Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the US :D
  • Options

So the US establishment have now learnt what the British establishment learnt in June:

working class votes are important

They are important in binary races. Under our electoral system, though, they do not matter. When 37% puts you in government the working class can safely be ignored.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Trump is currently on 48.0% in the popular vote. It's possible he could end up with less than the 47.2% Romney polled in 2012 when all the votes are counted.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sandpit said:

I had to have 40 winks - but I had to get back up again. It's a once in a lifetime occasion to watch!
  • Options

Alan, Scotland has a president and soon we will be independent, happy days. Go "The Donald".
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Oh God, he's rambling and even his own family don't want the o be on stage with him
  • Options

Alistair said:

I don't have the time at present to look through the previous threads so can I ask what was the 'Sunderland moment' and when did it happen ?

Florida. The huge turnaround in the vote there made @rcs1000 completely reverse his position
    Florida was the Sunderland moment, what's the Newcastle confirmation it was not a one off?

It was pretty clear by 1.00 am that Trump had won it.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Trump is currently on 48.0% in the popular vote. It's possible he could end up with less than the 47.2% Romney polled in 2012 when all the votes are counted.

Unlikely and of course Johnson and Stein took significant numbers of votes, eating into both Trump and Clinton's total. Clinton is already exactly on the 47.2% Romney got
  • Options
    Clinton's contribution to her own downfall was large. The email server was a massive target she hung around her own neck, and the emails were ammunition her opponents could fling at her.

Having said that, I doubt it'll lead to any improved security within government. It'll still go on, as in the minds of too many people, security gets in the way.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

I had to have 40 winks - but I had to get back up again. It's a once in a lifetime occasion to watch!
    Kudos Miss P

calm in the face of fire throughout the campaign
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Well done Plato - you were so steadfast in your belief despite enormous pressure from many on this forum
  • Options

Or the ones she threw.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

Alistair said:

For me it was time to call it (and I did) when Ohio came in. Not so much as he won but the scale of the win. It was inevitable that he would clean up the mid West after that which was going to win it for him.
  • Options
    Well that was bigly night!
  • Options
    Trump doesnt half ramble
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So the pre election Latino only polling was a great big crock of shit by the looks of things if the exit polling is accurate.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Ms Plato tipster of the year
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Who knows - maybe he'll tone it all down in office and not do much.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

Pagan said:

Sandpit said:

Ok then.
    We are not to know. If they did, it's surely the ugliness they exposed that's to blame, rather than the messenger.

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

Oh God, he's rambling and even his own family don't want the o be on stage with him

I think you might if you had just won the POTUS
  • Options
    RobD said:

I bet Pence can't believe it!

I've huge respect for Pence - he took a gamble and played his hand very well. Kudos to him.

Now the GOP have the WH, Senate, House et al - they can do something tangible.
  • Options

Trump doesnt half ramble

Maybe he'll get on well with Boris? :p
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alan, Scotland has a president and soon we will be independent, happy days. Go "The Donald".
    LOL wee Mrs McTurnip is currently looking at a crow and wondering how it tastes.

You can send Fat Boy Slim as your ambassador :-)
  • Options
    Trump calling out Giuliani, Huckabee and Carson for thanks, I assume no mention of Bush, Rubio or Kasich or Ryan, they are as big losers as Hillary this morning
  • Options

Pagan said:

Sandpit said:

Ok then.
    We are not to know. If they did, it's surely the ugliness they exposed that's to blame, rather than the messenger.
    That's wrong. No-one could withstand that much accountancy of their affairs, and especially misreporting of it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Where is 619 to tell us what's happened?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Just woken up. WoW. The trump rampers were right all along.
  • Options
    When will we learn, the polling industry hasnt got a scubby-doo!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Currently looking for alternative employment.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Bad loser syndrome there
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Who knows - maybe he'll tone it all down in office and not do much.

Trump will have a huge team of advisors and the full might of the Government machine helping him. - Which he’ll probably ignore. :lol:
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited November 2016
    I hope a few apologies to Plato are being drafted. You can disagree with her politics and her habit of retweeting and copy and pasting, but she has taken a lot of abuse from certain posters in here. A little humility from her tormentors would be nice.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

I think you might if you had just won the POTUS
    Yes quite and he's actually graciously thanking a lot of people
  • Options
    Well all this will generate loads of traffic for Mike's site! I haven't been so surprised since 1992! Let's see how he does...
  • Options
    edited November 2016

malcolmg said:

LOL wee Mrs McTurnip is currently looking at a crow and wondering how it tastes.

She called that well wrong, though there will be a queue of the turkeys kissing his butt and hoping he does not hold a grudge. Saint Teresa will be among the vvultures kissing butt for sure.
  • Options
    STEIN currently on .92% of the vote. Please please please stay there.
  • Options
    Did Stein and Johnson get Secret Service protection? How serious a candidate do you have to be to get them assigned to you?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She called that well wrong
    she may need to cede that Golf course as US sovereign territory :-)
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

I've huge respect for Pence - he took a gamble and played his hand very well. Kudos to him.

The cabinet will be interesting. I've been relaxed about Trump owing to my theory that because he has no political hinterland, the Republican establishment will need to supply a list of candidates.
  • Options
    Oh well, President Trump it is. Beeb just gave him 275 electors...
  • Options

I hope a few apologies to Plato are being drafted. You can disagree with her politics and her habit of retreating and copy and pasting, but she has taken a lot of abuse from certain posters in here. A little humility from her tormentors would be nice.

As I keep on saying, she gave out abuse as well. It was far from all one-way.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    Do I get the feeling he had to speak off the cuff because he was expecting to lose?

That was an awful speech.
  • Options

I hope a few apologies to Plato are being drafted. You can disagree with her politics and her habit of retreating and copy and pasting, but she has taken a lot of abuse from certain posters in here. A little humility from her tormentors would be nice.

Absolutely and totally agree.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

The cabinet will be interesting. I've been relaxed about Trump owing to my theory that because he has no political hinterland, the Republican establishment will need to supply a list of candidates.

Giuliani - Attorney General

Gingrich - Secretary of State

• Options
    Good night, I mean morning, off to snooze for a couple of hours :)
  • Options
    When to bed at 4am - it looked utterly bad for Clinton, but I had a tiny hope I would awake and it had all been a bad dream.

Shattering.

America enters completely uncharted waters.
  • Options
    Well I think Mrs farage will be pleased...no idea about her politics, but she won't have to put up with Nige moping around the house.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Alistair said:

Where is she going to get .08 from with 88% in ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

The end of Obamacare, climate change.......? What else?
  • Options

Clinton's contribution to her own downfall was large. The email server was a massive target she hung around her own neck, and the emails were ammunition her opponents could fling at her.

Having said that, I doubt it'll lead to any improved security within government. It'll still go on, as in the minds of too many people, security gets in the way.

True enough. Like any procedure, people get irritated if it lessens their convenience.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil is surely another winner. I think there is finally hope for the BBC coverage of elections once again. Goodbye Dimbleby and thanks for all the platitudes.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Do I get the feeling he had to speak off the cuff because he was expecting to lose?

Isn't that (at least a small part of) the point?

If he gave the full Daveblairobamite spiel, wouldn't that slickness just be more of the same?
  • Options
    Still £500+ at 1.37+ on a Clinton popular vote victory. She's 900k behind and has got another 1.7m or so to come in CA
  • Options
    Another question: has this election been a success or a failure for Twitter and Facebook?
  • Options

Pagan said:

Sandpit said:

Ok then.

What Wikileaks handed to us was the red pill. We've got to see all the ugly duplicity and collusion amongst the rich and powerful. And to see what they really think of us.

After 55k emails - I can't think of a single one that was concerned with helping the people - it was all about manipulation, triangulation and grifting. It's lanced a massive boil and it'll take a long time for the hard lessons/ruined reputations to be forgotten.

Drain The Swamp was spot on.
  • Options
    Donald gets the tone right early with the background music

" you cant always get what you want "
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Or the ones she threw.
    I've just the past few weeks but don't recall anything like @Jobabob 's systematic unpleasantness towards Miss Plato.

Perhaps you have some specifics to share?
  • Options
    Well done to Plato and one or two others on here.

Polling and projection analysis and 538 are all finished.

But who cares while we watch in fear to see if Congress can control him.
  • Options

Let's not mention votecastr.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

You gotta feel sorry for Clinton.

No.

This is very much her fault. If she had taken the hint in 2008 and decided she wasn't able to be President, this whole disaster could have been avoided.

It is her sense of entitlement, her arrogance and her incompetence, backed up by a complacent party in thrall to her self-estimation, that has led to Trump.

Despite what has happened and bearing in mind what I said earlier about her humiliation, she deserves our scorn not our pity.
    This, I think Sanders would have played fine in the rustbelt.

Well done Trumpers, time to regroup..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    DavidL said:

Andrew Neil is surely another winner. I think there is finally hope for the BBC coverage of elections once again. Goodbye Dimbleby and thanks for all the platitudes.

Don't hold your breath.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

ydoethur said:

Isn't that (at least a small part of) the point?

If he gave the full Daveblairobamite spiel, wouldn't that slickness just be more of the same?
    It drew further comparisons with Harding - the only man, woman or child to write a simple declarative sentence with seven grammatical errors.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Trump slipped into presidential mode from candidate mode seamlessly imo.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Bloody hell. Didn't think this'd happen.

Plato = Cassandra, the seer of Troy whose prophecies came true but were never believed.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Contract expired about six hours ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Where is she going to get .08 from with 88% in ?
    Some fucking hippy enclave or some such knowing my luck.
  • Options

538 did a bloody good job. They beat every other model and the betting markets.
  • Options

I hope a few apologies to Plato are being drafted. You can disagree with her politics and her habit of retweeting and copy and pasting, but she has taken a lot of abuse from certain posters in here. A little humility from her tormentors would be nice.

They will be stuck under their rocks I fear.
  • Options
    I know rod modelling ultimately went for clinton, but for over a year he said trump would do it.
  • Options

538 rated a Trump win at about 1 in 4 based on the polling. That's pretty good given how poor the polling was.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I went to bed with the ringing assurances of PB,s best and brightest that Trump couldn't win ...... Errr
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907

Good morning, everyone.

Bloody hell. Didn't think this'd happen.

Plato = Cassandra, the seer of Troy whose prophecies came true but were never believed.

That does not bode well

• Options
    Wow, I hadn't realised that the Senate hadn't confirmed a new Justice, so there is a vacancy right now!
  • Options
    Looks like the Anglosphere is shaking the world up a bit
  • Options

Did Stein and Johnson get Secret Service protection? How serious a candidate do you have to be to get them assigned to you?

I read a piece the other day that Trump wears a bullet proof vest under his shirt now. What a massive change his life has undergone. From feted by A-Listers to hated by all but a tiny handful. Had massive abuse, smears and personal abuse as if he wasn't even human being.

And bizarrely - moving into the White House will be a serious step-down accommodation wise :open_mouth:
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She called that well wrong, though there will be a queue of the turkeys kissing his butt and hoping he does not hold a grudge. Saint Teresa will be among the vvultures kissing butt for sure.
    GodDamn succesful Outsiders, Making People Think it's Safe To Criticise Foreign Candidates.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Or the ones she threw.
    I've just the past few weeks but don't recall anything like @Jobabob 's systematic unpleasantness towards Miss Plato.

Perhaps you have some specifics to share?
    Not to share. She knows. I daresay I'll be waiting a long time ...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    At least Clinton saved a bit of dosh by cancelling the fireworks.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sandpit said:

Quite an astonishing night! Now for the total meltdown of the American commentariat, as we saw in the UK a few months ago.

Orders more popcorn!!
  • Options
    I lurched off to bed last night with young Mr Smithson intoning that 'a swing is a swing' and 'it's all over' then arose to this. One consolation though: it makes me feel better about Brexit. We're now not the only country capable of being seismically reckless with our own good standing.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Experts,pollsters,pundits wrong yet again.

Congratulations Plato.
  • Options

I know rod modelling ultimately went for clinton, but for over a year he said trump would do it.

Rod has kicked JackW's ARSE again.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She called that well wrong
    she may need to cede that Golf course as US sovereign territory :-)
    I am going to campaign to have Prestwick airport renamed to TRUMP airport.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907

Looks like the Anglosphere is shaking the world up a bit

Shaking or breaking? Time will tell.
  • Options

As I keep on saying, she gave out abuse as well. It was far from all one-way.
    Sorry no

As someone who really did not give a shit either way as commonly stated on this forum

Plato got a avalanche of abuse here. An absolute Avalanche....Just go back and read some of the terrible things that were said about her. You should be absolutely fucking ashamed of this and hang you collected heads. All of you....

Plato can stand up for herself as we all very well know but the treatment that certain posters gave to her over many months just because she researched and posted alternatives were nothing short of disgraceful.

Well done ms Plato .

I Should have said this before I did not and I include myself in the above shame as a consequence.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233
    PlatoSaid said:

RobD said:

But what will that include for the people who voted for them? Protectionism?
  • Options
    Total disaster for the Dems. Net gain of 1 in the Senate but still Republican, net gain of 5 in the House, still Republican, a chance to rebalance the Supreme Court for a generation and a reworking of the US Presidential map that opens up so many more opportunities for Republican candidates to win. Kasich surely will be a very strong candidate in 4 years time if the Donald has had enough.
This discussion has been closed.