Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is looking like Clinton’s firewall was as useful a defence

Comments

• Options

Hope it's not being cheeky to ask - how did people do betting wise?

I've made my biggest ever single-event profit of about £1660 (prev best was £1100 on Nadal v Federer at Australia 2009).

Cashed out at 1.13 about 5 mins before Trump crashed to 1.03. Better than a poke in the eye, as my bank manager used to say when discussing my overdraft.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Artist said:

I'm not sure what the delay is in declaring Pennsylvania. Surely any minute now.

Will take him to 264!
  • Options
    Very easy election to make money on. Trump was still betting outsider even when it was becoming fairly clear he was winning.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

It seems obvious now that what Clinton should have done was to ignore Trump completely and just focus on her own policies. By taking on Trump she was doing exactly what he and his supporters wanted.

The lack of last minute scandal to throw at Trump on the weekend was a big miss.
    Two criminal trials coming up proved to be insufficient for Hilary to beat him.

Would those idiots who selected Clinton despite knowing how hated she was please do abject public penance?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    It's ironic, because I was trying to think of a President possibly worse than Trump will likely be, and Harding immediately jumped to mind. Popped his clogs in office, and Coolidge took over and then won in 1928.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    I genuinely don't think Trump wanted to win! He must be *****ing the proverbial!
  • Options

Hope it's not being cheeky to ask - how did people do betting wise?

I've made my biggest ever single-event profit of about £1660 (prev best was £1100 on Nadal v Federer at Australia 2009).

About £3k, assuming Clinton wins the popular vote. Managed to make £750 from a standing start on the ECV market, and the Senate Control has also copped. The most pleasing win was an even £200 with a mate on the Republicans 4 years ago...
  • Options
    I just realised that Melania Trump is going to be the First Lady of the United States!
  • Options
    538 give GOP 99% chance of retaining the senate.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Last post for tonight or this morning now.

1.Beware the polls when they get estimated turnout really wrong.
    2.The Sunderland moment of the night was Tampa and Virginia.

Good morning.
  • Options

Hope nobody lost too much money tonight!

Looks as though I am green again (and I am an amateur puntah). Nobody should be red today. :blush:
  • Options
    Nicola Sturgeon heheheh.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Is the end for political polling? Discuss.

Trump was never in the lead with any polls bar a couple around the conventions. Betfair never had him lower than 3 until a couple of hours ago. It's Brexit on steroids.

I think the national polls finished with Clinton about 3-4 and she'll end up winning by 1-2.
    Only by piling votes up in California where they don't count.

The pollsters screwed up bigly here, as they did in the UK at the refereddum and the last election.
    Well yes national polls are really based around what the national results will be.
    Trump presently leads the national popular vote by almost 1. 5 million votes with over a third of California having now reported
    In a way, I hope he does win the popular vote, however marginal.

It will hang over this election like a bad smell if the EC/Popular Vote is split again, and make it even harder for the country to come together (harder than it already is!)
    He has a clear enough lead now I think and San Francisco, the most Democratic part of the state, is further ahead in its returns than some more Trump friendly rural counties of California
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

I just realised that Melania Trump is going to be the First Lady of the United States!

Carla Bruni is probably regretting giving Trump the brush off all those years ago.
  • Options

Even more shocking- Donald J Trump is going to be POTUS!
  • Options
    The Associated Press has called PA for Trump.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/796240852003733504
  • Options
    AP calls Pennsylvania for Trump!
  • Options
    Andrew said:

It's ironic, because I was trying to think of a President possibly worse than Trump will likely be, and Harding immediately jumped to mind. Popped his clogs in office, and Coolidge took over and then won in 1928.
    No, Coolidge was 1924, you're thinking of Hoover (who was also a businessman rather than politician, but was a thoroughly decent human being and was in many ways a more effective president than his widely feted but little understood successor).
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    HYUFD said:

Perhaps President Le Pen can open them?
    Perhaps it's time to look at the other potential host? Budapest!

Oh.
  • Options
    CNN calls Alaska for Trump.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

Finally someone has called it:

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/796229649344954368

Trump is President.

The Trump Train has arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This train terminates here.
    I've only done the Denver RTD light rail (as it was in 2011), and the New Mexico Rail Runner (Santa Fe to Albuquerque) in 2009 :)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    RobD said:

It's going to be great.
  • Options
    CNN- Trump will win AK!
  • Options
    Apologies due to Plato?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I genuinely don't think Trump wanted to win! He must be *****ing the proverbial!

They were clearly setting up for a loss today, this will have blindsided them.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

It's going to be great.
    Huge, you mean :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Perhaps President Le Pen can open them?
    Perhaps it's time to look at the other potential host? Budapest!

Oh.
    Indeed, nowhere is safe from the present populist tide
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No, Coolidge was 1924, you're thinking of Hoover ....

Yep, I'm aware. Doesn't contradict what I posted :-)
  • Options
    Telegraph saying Trump is "preparing to address the nation"!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Republicans retain the House.

Whether they'll work with Trump is another question, but if they do assuming the Senate stays red - which seems a very safe assumption - he's going to be extremely powerful, more so than any president since George W. Bush before Katrina.

It will be a real test of 'checks and balances'.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    HYUFD said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Is the end for political polling? Discuss.

Trump was never in the lead with any polls bar a couple around the conventions. Betfair never had him lower than 3 until a couple of hours ago. It's Brexit on steroids.

I think the national polls finished with Clinton about 3-4 and she'll end up winning by 1-2.
    Only by piling votes up in California where they don't count.

The pollsters screwed up bigly here, as they did in the UK at the refereddum and the last election.
    Well yes national polls are really based around what the national results will be.
    Trump presently leads the national popular vote by almost 1. 5 million votes with over a third of California having now reported
    She'll come through when the west coast finishes counting.
  • Options
    Alaska for Trump - just 23 electors needed
  • Options

Looks like Bill won't be First Gentlemen after all, Melania has said she wants to start an anti bullying initiative as First Lady
  • Options
    NY Times have now got PA as a GOP GAIN.
  • Options

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 5m

Evan McMullin came second in Utah; Mitt Romney must examine his conscience, his silence cost evan the state. @MittRomney

Sod costing Evan the state -- what about everyone on pb who backed him at 25/1 ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

This will be bigly.
  • Options

RobD said:

This will be bigly.
    Bloody bigly.
  • Options
    So does the manner of Trump's win change the received wisdom that Rubio or Kasich would have beaten Hillary easily?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    At this time, spare a thought for Justices Ginsberg and Breyer. They thought they'd be able to retire today.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    It's over. Clinton has been trumped in PA: Trump now has 274 EV.
  • Options

Alaska for Trump - just 23 electors needed

I don't understand why they haven't called PA. It is at 98% of the vote
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yep, that's the headline shock. There's just an undercurrent of little tremors underneath that one!

Will Sarah Palin get a cabinet post?
  • Options
    Andrew said:

ydoethur said:

No, Coolidge was 1924, you're thinking of Hoover ....

Yep, I'm aware. Doesn't contradict what I posted :-)
    You said he won in 1928...

My point was that Hoover was a better president than Trump will be.

Coolidge doesn't work for me as a possible comparison, the quiet man who allowed corruption to flourish (the second one possibly)

Harding, the elderly incoherent who lasted two years before dying having achieved nothing but a reputation for straight talking, seems more like it.

Worryingly I would be especially pleased if the two years part came up...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    edited November 2016

So does the manner of Trump's win change the received wisdom that Rubio or Kasich would have beaten Hillary easily?

Yes. Could either have put WI or PA in play ? (Or won Ohio so easily)
  • Options
    Bad hombres watch out.
  • Options
    Not even going to go on my Facebook today, 'mess' won't cover it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yep, that's the headline shock. There's just an undercurrent of little tremors underneath that one!

Would be good to have a moderating voice.
  • Options

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 5m

Evan McMullin came second in Utah; Mitt Romney must examine his conscience, his silence cost evan the state. @MittRomney

Sod costing Evan the state -- what about everyone on pb who backed him at 25/1 ?
    Egg McMullin on their face? (sorry!)
  • Options
    Vlad Putin hehehehe
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Republicans retain the House.

Whether they'll work with Trump is another question, but if they do assuming the Senate stays red - which seems a very safe assumption - he's going to be extremely powerful, more so than any president since George W. Bush before Katrina.

It will be a real test of 'checks and balances'.
    With the exception of the Supreme Court, they've all been hammered, and given the age of the Democratic justices, surely that can't hold for long.
  • Options

Other way round, perhaps. Kasich or Rubio would probably have lost to Hillary. It would have been a normal election, with the polls correct, voters sticking with their own party and DNVs staying at home.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    If Clinton wins the popular vote the twitterwauling will be astronomic
  • Options

Not even going to go on my Facebook today, 'mess' won't cover it.

I'm expecting black armbands at work tomorrow...
  • Options
    Did Trump make a profit on his campaign, and become POTUS at the same time? :D
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    John Podesta, Clinton's campaign chair, just left the Peninsula hotel. Asked if HRC was headed over, he said, "No. I'm headed over."

sounds like about to concede
  • Options
    edited November 2016

She probably won't, San Francisco is now 90% in and Trump still has a national popular vote lead of well over a million
  • Options
    So - the south is trending Democratic, but the north now trending republican.
  • Options

Other way round, perhaps. Kasich or Rubio would probably have lost to Hillary. It would have been a normal election, with the polls correct, voters sticking with their own party and DNVs staying at home.
    I disagree. Hilary Clinton lost this election to a candidate barely better than a monkey on a stick. A half-decent candidate would surely have taken Nevada, Maryland, Virginia and even Washington to make up for possibly losing Wisconsin.
  • Options
    My Jill Stein vote is hanging by a thread. I suspect the twats in California will juuuuuust bust it for me.
  • Options

Independence referendum for California? :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

She probably won't, San Francisco is now 90% in and Trump still has a national popular vote lead of well over a million
    Los Angeles.
  • Options

I doubt that will be much mentioned; I suspect Americans largely regard their system as a feature more than a bug. The Greens in Florida, on the other hand. Again ...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

San Francisco is tiny in population (relatively).
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Nicola will have a friend
  • Options

Two times in the last 5 the Reps win the presidency while losing the popular vote? It may cause some comment for sure.
  • Options
    Hillary well disliked in upstate New York,.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/states/new-york#president
  • Options

RobD said:

Newt Gingrich for SoS?

Can't see Palin. Trump might be a maverick but he'll want loyal deputies.
  • Options
    Well, the Nixon-Bush rule is over. Sad.
  • Options

Like when LEAVE won the popular vote in June? :lol:
  • Options
    How do we not have NH by now, it's a bloody tiny state!
  • Options

If she doesn't my wauling will be astronomic!
  • Options

The last independence referendum in America was in the Carolinas in 1861. The consequences were somewhat unfortunate.

I do hope the US is not headed that way again.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    ydoethur said:

Oh jeez. Brain not working - been up 36 hours.

Anyway, the comparison was meant with Harding, since at the time he was widely thought to be unsuitable for the office (as so clearly is Trump), on top of which he tends to be put at or near the bottom of those occasional "worst ever Presidents" surveys.
  • Options
    Tons of votes missing from LA county, which is heavily D.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Its close.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    CNN has revised it's national Exit Poll.

Trump now wins 13% of Blacks and 33% of Hispanics.
    WOW.

When was the last time a Republican got 13% of AA ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Its close.
    Does that slow down the counting? I guess if there are automatic recounts?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

WOW.

lol. that is all.
  • Options

Yes, that's what I was getting at. I actually think they'd might have won differently, with Rubio taking e.g. NV/CO. But they wouldn't have got the deplorables out to vote.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

ydoethur said:

Anyway, the comparison was meant with Harding, since at the time he was widely thought to be unsuitable for the office (as so clearly is Trump), on top of which he tends to be put at or near the bottom of those occasional "worst ever Presidents" surveys.
    Fair enough. Seems a very good comparison to me then.

Hope you can get some sleep soon.
  • Options
    why does she have to sign her name like that! Now every time I see her will think of pinkie pie
  • Options

How long does vote counting take in California normally ?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

WOW.

Fucking hell that's seismic and a polling disaster. A complete polling failure of astronomical proportions.

1992 has nothing on this.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

WOW.

Pre-LBJ, I should imagine, when Dixicrats and Lincoln's legacy pushed African Americans to the GOP.
  • Options
    Has anyone woken up @SeanT yet?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Jonathan said:

RobD said:

Would be good to have a moderating voice.
    She'll replace Scalia.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Speedy said:

WOW.

Pre-LBJ, I should imagine, when Dixicrats and Lincoln's legacy pushed African Americans to the GOP.
    1960 I think.
  • Options
    Oh just call it already CNN.
  • Options
    Democrats on the radio getting very ratty and aggressive about criticism of Hilary's record and the role it played.

You have to wonder a bit about anyone who can still defend her candidacy after this utter disaster.

Is there anyone out there who now doesn't think Sanders would have done better?
  • Options
    Isn't everyone glad we have a SERIOUS Prime Minister who doesn't shoot her mouth off about foreign Presidential candidates, as opposed to the grandstanding twat we just got rid of.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

HYUFD said:

San Francisco is tiny in population (relatively).
    San Francisco county is one of the biggest counties in California and the most Democratic, some Trump counties in California still have not yet reported all their votes
  • Options

Isn't everyone glad we have a SERIOUS Prime Minister who doesn't shoot her mouth off about foreign Presidential candidates, as opposed to the grandstanding twat we just got rid of.

Quite.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD!
  • Options
    Morning all.

Blimey, been a busy night for the editor, 5 threads and >3,000 comments. Are we there yet!
  • Options

Speedy said:

WOW.

1932 the Democrats dominated minority votes for the first time, and ever since. So Hoover would have done better than that, but probably not many since.
  • Options
    Looks like they have voted for the candidate who might start WWIII on purpose, not the one who might do so by accident...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How long does vote counting take in California normally ?
    maybe one of the other votes explains it

California votes to legalise recreational marijuana

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Andrew said:

ydoethur said:

Fair enough. Seems a very good comparison to me then.

Hope you can get some sleep soon.
    Although on 1928, Hoover was the last businessman who'd never held elective office (he was a cabinet minister under Coolidge) to be elected president. That didn't turn out well either.
This discussion has been closed.