Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is looking like Clinton’s firewall was as useful a defence

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Danny565 said:

I suspect the Clintons will be booking their own tickets to Canada right about now.

May be one of the Foundation supporters could lend them a jet?

(BTW, will they get a refund?)
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Pulpstar said:

Just backed a tie at 26.0

Think that is not a bad bet. But Clinton needs to win PA,MN,MI,NH,NV and NE2 for it come in
    and only NV and NE2 look pretty certain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

Pence has come in to 700 on Betfair.

There is so little money on him his price is jumping up and down
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Trump has to win the ME congressional district to get to 270, right?

No, but he'll get it anyway.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Trump has to win the ME congressional district to get to 270, right?

I think he won it.
  • Options

When does Betfair pay out on the Next President market? Surely we don't have to wait until Jan 20?

Why wouldn't you? There are various scenarios that would prevent someone making it, which don't need spelling out.
  • Options
    Could Clinton win Arizona? She's behind, but it seems like there's a bunch of votes from Tucson to come
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    It's The FBI Wot Won It
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Which betting firm was it that has already paid out on Hillary winning?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Matthew Kick
    Bill Clinton reassuring Hillary tonight by reminding her that Nelson Mandela wasn't elected president until after serving 27 years in prison
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    OK, time for 2 hours in bed...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pence has come in to 700 on Betfair.

There is so little money on him his price is jumping up and down
    Yes but the market is settled today. There is no way (that I can see) Pence can win.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,459
    William_H said:

Could Clinton win Arizona? She's behind, but it seems like there's a bunch of votes from Tucson to come

Possible but unlikely
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Which betting firm was it that has already paid out on Hillary winning?

Paddy Power.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

When does Betfair pay out on the Next President market? Surely we don't have to wait until Jan 20?

Why wouldn't you? There are various scenarios that would prevent someone making it, which don't need spelling out.
    From Betfair's market rules:

This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2016 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. [Bit more about what happens in the case of a tie follows]
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    William_H said:

According to 538, that's her only hope. Maricopa county still has a third of voters to come (about a third of a million), and it leans R.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Well, I had a funny feeling this was Brexit all over again. And so it has proven.

President Donald Trump. Wow.

Three things to take from this:

1. Dems have to seriously kick themselves for choosing Clinton now. They have known for ages that, although popular with some of the base, she is widely distrusted by the country at large.
    2. Was the FBI letter the October surprise to end all October surprises?
    3. Is there room in someone's fallout shelter?

totally agree. Sense of entitlement from the Liberal elite.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    I'm not sure I can sleep, but I have to try!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

When Hillary decided to make her "deplorables" speech, why the hell didn't one of her advisors tell her to change it beforehand?

Oh, it absolutely won't be her fault.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    William_H said:

Updated to 5% in now.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

William_H said:

Updated to 5% in now.
    55% from Pima. and it has about one quarter of the population of Maricopa.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    MP_SE said:

It's The FBI Wot Won It

Nope.

It took 24 years to count the votes, but Perot and Buchanan won it.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

It's The FBI Wot Won It

And Fox News, who had to apologise for reporting the FBI were certain to charge Hillary over email.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 44
    any thoughts on her chances in Arizona at this point? "Fact is, unless Clinton somehow wins in Arizona, Trump is going to be the next president." 538
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Just got 1.9 on Hilary winning the popular vote, seem pretty likely at this stage.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2016 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. [Bit more about what happens in the case of a tie follows]
    Fair enough. Although if there is an upset and it ended up going the other way, I bet the backers of the eventual president wouldn't be that happy.

Surely that also makes bets on the likes of Pence money down the drain?
  • Options
    bazzer said:

any thoughts on her chances in Arizona at this point? "Fact is, unless Clinton somehow wins in Arizona, Trump is going to be the next president." 538

Unlikely, given where the remaining voters are coming from, mostly Phoenix.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/arizona
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

When Hillary decided to make her "deplorables" speech, why the hell didn't one of her advisors tell her to change it beforehand?

It wasn't a speech, it was an answer to a question at a private fund-raiser.

It was exact same situation with Obama's his "cling to their guns" comment: Asked about Republican voters, they want to grant the questioner's premise about some of them being way out there, but also say there are a lot of decent people who just feel left behind. But then phrase that badly and you've given a huge gift to the opposition.
  • Options
    CNN called GA for Trump.
  • Options
    Congratulations to all that called this correctly. I think the West is now in real trouble.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

IanB2 said:

*projected* electoral college votes? Could they pay out after a concession speech?

• Options
    IanB2 said:

No, the market's explicitly on the projected Electoral College votes. If it's clear on the night, they'll almost certainly pay out tomorrow (and if it's not, they'll only wait for that clarity to emerge).
  • Options
    He will if there are faithless electors!
  • Options
    BBC showing Clinton HQ with tears and depression everywhere. Surely this is all over now
  • Options
    Trump has closed to 50k in Penn, just to throw into the mix
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,459
    It's grim
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Burger me. Woke up to this.

Poor America.
  • Options
    Any word from POTUS Trump?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Any word from POTUS Trump?

Ahem, POTUS-elect.
  • Options
    Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!
  • Options
    Watch the GOP rally round Trump like they never doubted him now !!
  • Options
    Precisely so.
  • Options

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Trump has closed to 50k in Penn, just to throw into the mix

Come on PA Trumpers!

I have a spread depending on it!
  • Options
    GA for Trump

Now on 244 ECVs!
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    An alternative lesson:

When the populace are hugely dissatisfied with their electoral representatives and institutions, punters should bet against what the polls predict.

I can't justify or explain this suggested rule but it seems to have worked in most of the recent significant electoral events.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
    And boooooo to 619! :p
  • Options
    Looking at Michican, even with Arizona Hillary would lose.
  • Options
    Also, the Republicans will now proceed to scrap Obamacare. His entire legacy now consists of being the first black president. Almost a footnote in history, poor chap.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Not just them!
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

Oh my, now I remember, I have to eat my cigars like I promised if Trump wins.

Is Tobacco edible ?
    Or can I spit it out ?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
    I wonder if they will ever return. I got the impression their presence was only temporary.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Can someone break it to CNN that it's over please.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Can someone break it to CNN that it's over please.

Has anyone but Fox called WI?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

They're going to settle it today, unless there's any State recounts called or it's 269-269. That latter case is the only way Pence might win it.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Also, the Republicans will now proceed to scrap Obamacare. His entire legacy now consists of being the first black president. Almost a footnote in history, poor chap.
    Half black. He didn't even manage that bit completely!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Would Sanders have done any better?
  • Options

Congratulations to all that called this correctly. I think the West is now in real trouble.

Indeed. And contrition from those who dismissed the possibility too readily.

I still find it extraordinary that someone with such appalling ratings could win an election like this. True, Hillary's are far from healthy (in fact, they're the second-worst ever recorded for a presidential candidate), but they were still well ahead of Trump. All I can think is either (1) the pollsters screwed up, or (2) we paid insufficient attention to those who disapproved of both candidates, who must have broken clearly for Trump. After all, it's not just whether a voter's opinion of a candidate is plus or minus zero but it's *how much* it is so relative to the others on the ballot that counts.
  • Options

They won't scrap it, if they do anything they'll rename it.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 44
    Leaving aside whether you are a Trump fan or not, from a narrow national interest point of view, is this good for the UK? We may be one of the few overseas countries he can cope with / speak language /relate to etc? Suddenly UK at the front of the queue?
  • Options
    CNN pundit asks the key question- how many Sanders supporters voted for Trump?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Watch the GOP rally round Trump like they never doubted him now !!

One has to suspect that they will find a modus operandi. The deadlock of recent years shows that there is only so much the President can accomplish working against Congress. And the Congressional Republicans also have an enormous amount to gain from co-operation, of course.
  • Options

He'd have never have lost Wisconsin.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

He definitely would've put up a much better performance with Rust Belt working-class voters.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Well Obama lost his chance in 2009, he could have rammed actual Healthcare reform before Kennedy died, he had the votes but he waited for Congress.

Also he did nothing to help the economy recover apart from bank bailouts.

He is mediocre but still better than George W. though.
  • Options

Enough.
  • Options

BBC showing Clinton HQ with tears and depression everywhere. Surely this is all over now

Fox described it as looking like a Coldplay concert.
  • Options
    bazzer said:

Leaving aside whether you are a Trump fan or not, from a narrow national interest point of view, is this good for the UK? We may be one of the few overseas countries he can cope with / speak language /relate to etc? Suddenly UK at the front of the queue?

He does seem to be anti free trade though, so maybe that hampers our chance of getting a deal?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Agreed. Brexit was not an aberration.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Enough.
    Looking at Minnesota, the answer is many.
  • Options
    bazzer said:

The question is Trump's foreign policy, and whether it will ease tensions in hotspots around the world. It's useless being friendly with the US if eastern Europe is aflame.
  • Options
    bazzer said:

He's bad for free trade, so maybe not good for us.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
    She has done very well. I thought Trump would win in August but then thought the sex scandals had sunk him. I hope she had some money on.

Jack was right about the importance of FOP, unfortunately his ARSE had a malfunction

• Options
    Pennsylvania is now on a knife-edge
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
    I wonder if they will ever return. I got the impression their presence was only temporary.
    I did say that a couple of times and JackW got rather upset with the suggestion.
  • Options

Unlikely but then we'd have said the same for Trump for the same reasons: he appeared to have a low ceiling to his vote (and as an aside, Trump at no point exceeded 46% in the trackers and was rarely above 44%, which is a serious polling failure as he almost certainly didn't benefit from a very late swing that the polls didn't pick up).

But Biden would have done better, as, in all probability, would any number of mainstream, less tainted senators or governors.
  • Options
    bazzer said:

Yep! :)
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Pennsylvania is now on a knife-edge

36k for Clinton at 86%
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

bazzer said:

He does seem to be anti free trade though, so maybe that hampers our chance of getting a deal?
    One can't be sure, BUT the thing about Trump's protectionist leanings is that he's interested in defending industry. The UK trades largely in services. It goes without saying that we are not the same kind of threat as China, or even possibly Germany. But we shall see.
  • Options

It is possible a lot of Sanders supporters crossed parties to vote for Trump, insofar as both were outsiders running against the establishment, and Sanders had most of the DNVs, and it may explain the polling errors if this group switched.
  • Options

bazzer said:

He's buddies with Farage, Boris and Salmond and hostile to the EU.

He will probably be good with us.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Easily. Wouldn't have lost the rust belt.
  • Options
    Maybe Clinton did cancel her fireworks because of polling? :o
  • Options
    For any Labourites getting their hopes up, @RodCrosby has written off Corbyn already.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I wonder how many people voted for Trump as a protest vote, not expecting him to win.
  • Options

Indeed. And contrition from those who dismissed the possibility too readily.

I still find it extraordinary that someone with such appalling ratings could win an election like this. True, Hillary's are far from healthy (in fact, they're the second-worst ever recorded for a presidential candidate), but they were still well ahead of Trump. All I can think is either (1) the pollsters screwed up, or (2) we paid insufficient attention to those who disapproved of both candidates, who must have broken clearly for Trump. After all, it's not just whether a voter's opinion of a candidate is plus or minus zero but it's *how much* it is so relative to the others on the ballot that counts.
    Just as people switched late to the Tories in 2015 because they feared the poll prediction of a Miliband minority PM, I am sure that Clinton's projected win probably made some people switch late to Trump. as they also switched to Brexit to reduce the projected Remain win.
  • Options

bazzer said:

Front of the queue :D
  • Options
    Over £500 available @ 1.63 on Hillary to win the popular vote. This has been going on all night...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,139

bazzer said:

The question is Trump's foreign policy, and whether it will ease tensions in hotspots around the world. It's useless being friendly with the US if eastern Europe is aflame.
    Russia is not going to screw up the chance to negotiate a new settlement as an equal with the US by doing anything stupid now.

Also remember that Trump's first wife was from the Czech Republic and third is from Slovenia. He's not going to be completely blind to the concerns of eastern Europe.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Time for Adagio - Sehr feierlich und sehr langsam - Bruckner 7th.
  • Options
    Next bets: how much will markets fall today?

Try as I might, I cannot see how Prez Trump isn't going to be a disaster, for the US and the world. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

Over £500 available @ 1.63 on Hillary to win the popular vote. This has been going on all night...

Can you explain quickly why she'll win ?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    AndyJS said:

I wonder how many people voted for Trump as a protest vote, not expecting him to win.

Oh god, no don't do that. Next it'll be people wanting a second vote.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Not any longer.

Cheers, I owe you ;)
  • Options
    So it looks like I wouldn't be able to go America for at least the next four years.

*Epic sad face*
This discussion has been closed.