Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is looking like Clinton’s firewall was as useful a defence

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    PA- Clinton 30k votes up, 13% to declare.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    PA down to 7k vote lead for Clinton.
  • Options
    bazzer said:

Leaving aside whether you are a Trump fan or not, from a narrow national interest point of view, is this good for the UK? We may be one of the few overseas countries he can cope with / speak language /relate to etc? Suddenly UK at the front of the queue?

Probably got a higher chance of getting some post-Brexit scraps. But our strategic position it looking more than a bit shaky in terms of global security. We could once again be on the European front line as Trump gives up on central/eastern Europe and plays cozy with Putin.

The EU has taken a giant step towards a common army this morning.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Congratulations to all that called this correctly. I think the West is now in real trouble.

Indeed. And contrition from those who dismissed the possibility too readily.

I still find it extraordinary that someone with such appalling ratings could win an election like this. True, Hillary's are far from healthy (in fact, they're the second-worst ever recorded for a presidential candidate), but they were still well ahead of Trump. All I can think is either (1) the pollsters screwed up, or (2) we paid insufficient attention to those who disapproved of both candidates, who must have broken clearly for Trump. After all, it's not just whether a voter's opinion of a candidate is plus or minus zero but it's *how much* it is so relative to the others on the ballot that counts.
    Just as people switched late to the Tories in 2015 because they feared the poll prediction of a Miliband minority PM, I am sure that Clinton's projected win probably made some people switch late to Trump. as they also switched to Brexit to reduce the projected Remain win.
    I don't follow the logic there (apart from UK2015GE, but my experience in that is that opinion was fairly firm at least a week out). It makes more sense to simply think that the polls were methodologically wrong.
  • Options
    Whoa Pennsylvania now neck and neck on 89% 48.3% v48.2%

I think Trump's going to take it
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Over £500 available @ 1.63 on Hillary to win the popular vote. This has been going on all night...

Can you explain quickly why she'll win ?
    Trump's already on 50 million votes.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Over £500 available @ 1.63 on Hillary to win the popular vote. This has been going on all night...

It's not guaranteed, but she'd have to really underperform on the west coast.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
    She has done very well. I thought Trump would win in August but then thought the sex scandals had sunk him. I hope she had some money on.

Jack was right about the importance of FOP, unfortunately his ARSE had a malfunction

Trump could win without PA now, couldn't he?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Next bets: how much will markets fall today?

Try as I might, I cannot see how Prez Trump isn't going to be a disaster, for the US and the world. I hope I'm wrong.

The Dow was up 400 points on the assumption of a Hillary win.
    That will be reversed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby
    She has done very well. I thought Trump would win in August but then thought the sex scandals had sunk him. I hope she had some money on.

Jack was right about the importance of FOP, unfortunately his ARSE had a malfunction

Yep, he just needs the one ME vote and he's at 270.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby

Yes, barring an upset in AZ or AK he's won.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

25% in in California and she has a million vote lead, LA 9% in.

So I'm guessing she gets 3 million votes from California.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

IanB2 said:

Congratulations to all that called this correctly. I think the West is now in real trouble.

Indeed. And contrition from those who dismissed the possibility too readily.

I still find it extraordinary that someone with such appalling ratings could win an election like this. True, Hillary's are far from healthy (in fact, they're the second-worst ever recorded for a presidential candidate), but they were still well ahead of Trump. All I can think is either (1) the pollsters screwed up, or (2) we paid insufficient attention to those who disapproved of both candidates, who must have broken clearly for Trump. After all, it's not just whether a voter's opinion of a candidate is plus or minus zero but it's *how much* it is so relative to the others on the ballot that counts.
    Just as people switched late to the Tories in 2015 because they feared the poll prediction of a Miliband minority PM, I am sure that Clinton's projected win probably made some people switch late to Trump. as they also switched to Brexit to reduce the projected Remain win.
    I don't follow the logic there (apart from UK2015GE, but my experience in that is that opinion was fairly firm at least a week out). It makes more sense to simply think that the polls were methodologically wrong.
    I am not saying they weren't - but there is also anecdotal evidence at least, that people look at the projected result and if they don't like it some will change their vote accordingly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby

Yeah he's won. He might get over 300 EV's
  • Options
    Trump just 5k away from PA.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Cook lbw for 21 .... 47/1
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

bazzer said:

Leaving aside whether you are a Trump fan or not, from a narrow national interest point of view, is this good for the UK? We may be one of the few overseas countries he can cope with / speak language /relate to etc? Suddenly UK at the front of the queue?

The question is Trump's foreign policy, and whether it will ease tensions in hotspots around the world. It's useless being friendly with the US if eastern Europe is aflame.
    Russia is not going to screw up the chance to negotiate a new settlement as an equal with the US by doing anything stupid now.

Also remember that Trump's first wife was from the Czech Republic and third is from Slovenia. He's not going to be completely blind to the concerns of eastern Europe.
    Putin's interested in power. As has been seen in the past. he'll do whatever he can to shore his polling numbers up when they start to slip.

Also: Russia isn't an equal to the US. China may be soon. But Russia isn't. The only way it is a superpower is in nukes and, whilst that's important, it isn't the whole story.

As an example: the Russian space agency has settled for the same amount of money over the next ten years as NASA gets in just one. And some of that is coming from the US in the form of payments for Soyuz seats.

That's another question: will Trump lift sanctions against Russia?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    I think it really is over now.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh, and it's time for:

Congrats to Plato!

And @RodCrosby

Yeah he's won. He might get over 300 EV's
    Yeah, 270 + 46 if he wins all of WI, MI and PA.
  • Options
    Trump takes the lead in PA!
  • Options
    The BBC now reduced to suggesting Trump might suddenly become more responsible now that he has the job. A prediction that has been made and disproved at several earlier stages, sadly.
  • Options
    Trump takes the lead in PA.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

25% in in California and she has a million vote lead, LA 9% in.

So I'm guessing she gets 3 million votes from California.
    NYT have her winning by 1.3-1.4% which is good enough for me
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Morning all.

Do we have some idea of the likely overall turnout percentage?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Lesson: don't insult 25% of the electorate.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    The 46th President speaks!

https://twitter.com/skysarahjane/status/796214635632398336

Well, if we all live that long.
  • Options

bazzer said:

He's bad for free trade, so maybe not good for us.
    First foreign visit to Theresa and No 10.

He is just going to love that and can you just imagine Alex Salmond's face
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    AndyJS said:

You would have thought she would have learnt from Cameron's remarks about Eurosceptics.
  • Options

All over for the Clintons :D
  • Options

bazzer said:

OMG, can you imagine Trump and HM? LOL
  • Options

It is now....but they don't think it is!
  • Options
    And now I'm cringing that we had that debate on Trump in Parliament.
  • Options
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Bet Boris can't wait for his first meeting with President Trump
  • Options
    Speedy said:

bazzer said:

He's buddies with Farage, Boris and Salmond and hostile to the EU.

He will probably be good with us.
    Salmond and Trump have had a *massive* falling out.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,517
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Would Sanders have done any better?

Easily. Wouldn't have lost the rust belt.
    And that is where it has ended for Hillary. If she had won MI and WI (and PA, if it flips, but let's put it in her column for now):

- She could have afforded to lose North Carolina
    - She could have afforded to lose Iowa
    - She could have afforded to lose New Hampshire
    - She could have afforded to lose Florida

Heck, she could even have afforded to lose New Mexico if the Nebraska district gives her a vote.

Her campaign has been too focussed on being continuity Obama without focussing on the people in the 'firewall' states that are feeling the pain right now and can't see how they've benefitted under Obama.

CNN suggested just now, and I agree, that the unrelenting focus on celebrity endorsement may have been a big mistake in the closing days. How does that speak to people in the rust belt?

This is textbook on how to throw away an election. The Edstone and the Sheffield rally have nothing on this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

bazzer said:

OMG, can you imagine Trump and HM? LOL
    Well he knows Britain pretty well
  • Options
    HAHAHAHA.

So much for minorities against Populism.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    ABC 24
    'It really is like covering a wake' @zdaniel describe the mood at the #Clinton headquarters in Newyork #usavotes https://t.co/qTKiJfWRKG
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Trump might of won Ohio by a bigger percentage than Texas.
    The Mid-west has been badly polled, the rest of the country looks like it is pretty close to what was predicted.
  • Options
    White men have voted in a mass block.
  • Options
    If he wins PA, I think all PB Tumpsters/Trumpettes can enable smug mode.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In my defence ibdidbaay Trump's vote looked crazily efficient pre election.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    AndyJS said:

Cameron=little englanders Clinton=deplorable

• Options
    Jeremy Vine doing has bar charts. Exit poll returns suggest white men voted 55:36 in favour of Trump.

Suggestion is that Trump has mobilised white male voters as a minority community, just as Obama energised the African-American vote. That's at least a big part of how he won.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    The polls fundamentally aren't capturing a group that historically didn't much vote. Any that do participate in polls are shy about it.

The solution is simple, take the poll predictions, subtract 10 from the respectable candidates and add 10 to the unacceptable ones.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HAHAHAHA.

Why is this surprising? It was known that Cubans were more likely to trend Trump. Cubans don't equal all Hispanics, let alone all minorities. Anyway, I should get some sleep. This looks done.
  • Options
    Trump 1m ahead on popular vote so far
  • Options
    Does Elon Musk have any spare seats?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

You beat one block with another block.

Whites now behave like a minority.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Maybe Clinton did cancel her fireworks because of polling? :o

But they would have gone to the states in trouble of they knew this was happening.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

But they would have gone to the states in trouble of they knew this was happening.
    Good point...
  • Options

Jeremy Vine doing has bar charts. Exit poll returns suggest white men voted 55:36 in favour of Trump.

Suggestion is that Trump has mobilised white male voters as a minority community, just as Obama energised the African-American vote. That's at least a big part of how he won.

Wait till white male voters in America realise that punishing all other demographics isn't going to make their lives any better.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Try as I might, I cannot see how Prez Trump isn't going to be a disaster, for the US and the world. I hope I'm wrong.

That will be reversed.
    What about the dollar? Glass houses and all, but any chance for a slight sterling uptick?
  • Options

Does Elon Musk have any spare seats?

They're looking for a payload for their return-to-flight. Are you volunteering? ;)

(Which should be next month, with luck. Hopefully they've stopped their rockets from spontaneously combusting. It's solid oxygen wot dun it).
  • Options
    Right, bed time. My third great political results night in a row: GE2015, Brexit and this.
  • Options
    That's A record low for a Republican
  • Options

Speedy said:

That will be reversed.
    What about the dollar? Glass houses and all, but any chance for a slight sterling uptick?
    We are above $1.25, although the money is going to the Euro and Yen, the £ being not so safe nowadays.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

In my defence ibdidbaay Trump's vote looked crazily efficient pre election.

Yeah - and you said so IIRC.

Or maybe I did. I forget.

Anyway, I remember us discussing how efficient trump's vote was a week or so ago. So a narrow EC win shouldn't have been that surprising.

Although I am still quite surprised.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Like Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Of course they knew.

Why didn't the Public Opinion Pollsters publish those numbers?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

And that is where it has ended for Hillary. If she had won MI and WI (and PA, if it flips, but let's put it in her column for now):

Heck, she could even have afforded to lose New Mexico if the Nebraska district gives her a vote.

Her campaign has been too focussed on being continuity Obama without focussing on the people in the 'firewall' states that are feeling the pain right now and can't see how they've benefitted under Obama.

CNN suggested just now, and I agree, that the unrelenting focus on celebrity endorsement may have been a big mistake in the closing days. How does that speak to people in the rust belt?

This is textbook on how to throw away an election. The Edstone and the Sheffield rally have nothing on this.
    I wonder how the DNC fools feel about stitching it up for her?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Well done Plato for being one of the very few to challenge the conventional "experts" on PB, in the face of unwise abuse from people who should know better.
  • Options
    From the Telegraph - markets are already going crackers:

Sean Callow, a forex strategist at Westpac in Sydney, says markets "are reacting as though the four horsemen of the apocalypse just rode out of Trump Tower". 

"Or at least 3 of them - it might be 4 when the prospect of a clean sweep of Congress sinks in."

US stock futures recoiled more than 4.5 percent, matching the carnage that followed the British vote to leave the European Union in June that wiped trillions of dollars of value off global markets.

Sovereign bonds flew ahead, pushing yields on 10-year US Treasury notes down a huge 13 basis points to 1.74 percent, again the largest drop since Brexit.

Yields had briefly touched a six-month high around 1.8960 percent in early trade.

In commodity markets, gold climbed 3.4 percent to $1,318 an ounce as the dollar slid.

Oil turned tail on concerns over the global economic outlook, with U.S. crude shedding $1.34 to $43.63 a barrel, while Brent fell $1.24 to $44.80.

And Christ, Trump is now being reported as narrowly ahead in Pennsylvania, with 94% of votes counted. This isn't even going to be that close on the ECV.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Clinton will get a differential of +3 million from California. She'll win.
  • Options
    ABC
    .@CeciliaVegaABC: Top Clinton donor says, "Done. Over. He is the president." https://t.co/dcOvqMGQM0 #Election2016 https://t.co/1tNNUKhb9z
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The golden rule of elections seems to be - look at where they are campaigning.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,138
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I wonder how the DNC fools feel about stitching it up for her?
    I wonder how angry the Democratic rank and file feel about it... She'll end her career as a massive hate figure even in her own party.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The golden rule of elections seems to be - look at where they are campaigning.

But remember, Trump fired his pollster, or at least didn't pay him!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Le Pen to win in France now.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I thought Trump said the election was going to be rigged against him...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I thought Trump said the election was going to be rigged against him...

He will just say he won despite of it!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Just sayin';

DavidL said:

Your low turnout map is mine exactly but I do not think it is dependent upon low turnout. It is much more dependent on the surge in Hispanic voters that we have seen in some of the early voting coming through on the day. It is this that I think is going to swing NC , FL and AZ. The Hispanics will be the black vote of this election, not because they love Hillary (who does?) but because they hate Trump and he has gone out of his way to really piss them off.

I do not hold that the Hispanic vote will be quite as crucial as is being made out. Firstly it would only make a big difference on my map to Arizona; Based on early voting a good chunk of the increase in Hispanics is only making up for the underperformance in AAs. As much is made of Hispanic's hatred of Trump, even the most pessimistic numbers for him are better than his numbers with blacks. Only Arizona is a close state without the need to offset the AA vote (because the AA vote isn't as big anyway).

My opinion is the clincher will be what the white vote does, particularly white middle-income men, who are more likely to vote on election day.

I think this piece from Cohn is important.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/upshot/there-are-more-white-voters-than-people-think-thats-good-news-for-trump.html?_r=2

Now look at the figures for example for those who haven't already voted but intend to in North Carolina,

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/upshot/trump-and-clinton-tied-in-final-upshot-poll-of-north-carolina.html
  • Options
    Speedy said:

That will be reversed.
    The spreads suggest an open 800 points down. If this transpires, a bigger one day fall than 9/11
  • Options
    Trump up by 1k in PA, one Trump friendly district to come in, everything else pretty much declared. I think Trump wins PA, but by the most slender of margins.
  • Options
    Is it me or was Emily's voice breaking a bit ?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Well done Plato for being one of the very few to challenge the conventional "experts" on PB, in the face of unwise abuse from people who should know better.
    I haven't followed the election much until now but the comments I have seen to Plato by some on this forum were unacceptable and she is owed many apologies in my opinion
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Just sayin';

DavidL said:

Your low turnout map is mine exactly but I do not think it is dependent upon low turnout. It is much more dependent on the surge in Hispanic voters that we have seen in some of the early voting coming through on the day. It is this that I think is going to swing NC , FL and AZ. The Hispanics will be the black vote of this election, not because they love Hillary (who does?) but because they hate Trump and he has gone out of his way to really piss them off.

I do not hold that the Hispanic vote will be quite as crucial as is being made out. Firstly it would only make a big difference on my map to Arizona; Based on early voting a good chunk of the increase in Hispanics is only making up for the underperformance in AAs. As much is made of Hispanic's hatred of Trump, even the most pessimistic numbers for him are better than his numbers with blacks. Only Arizona is a close state without the need to offset the AA vote (because the AA vote isn't as big anyway).

My opinion is the clincher will be what the white vote does, particularly white middle-income men, who are more likely to vote on election day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/10/upshot/there-are-more-white-voters-than-people-think-thats-good-news-for-trump.html?_r=2

Now look at the figures for example for those who haven't already voted but intend to in North Carolina,

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/08/upshot/trump-and-clinton-tied-in-final-upshot-poll-of-north-carolina.html
    A good, insightful comment. How many responses did it get?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Pulpstar said:

She either needs a sip of water or she's upset that Trump is romping home. Poor lass!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Ha, I've thought that a few times. Clive Myrie's voice was cracking in one of the news roundups as well.
  • Options

Speedy said:

HAHAHAHA.

Why is this surprising? It was known that Cubans were more likely to trend Trump. Cubans don't equal all Hispanics, let alone all minorities. Anyway, I should get some sleep. This looks done.
    Yes and Cubans are not Mexicans.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I haven't followed the election much until now but the comments I have seen to Plato by some on this forum were unacceptable and she is owed many apologies in my opinion
    She also owes many apologies ...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Pulpstar said:

Seem to be some shaking voices with sadness in their eyes on BBC or is that Sky?
  • Options

From the Telegraph - markets are already going crackers:

Sean Callow, a forex strategist at Westpac in Sydney, says markets "are reacting as though the four horsemen of the apocalypse just rode out of Trump Tower". 

"Or at least 3 of them - it might be 4 when the prospect of a clean sweep of Congress sinks in."

US stock futures recoiled more than 4.5 percent, matching the carnage that followed the British vote to leave the European Union in June that wiped trillions of dollars of value off global markets.

Sovereign bonds flew ahead, pushing yields on 10-year US Treasury notes down a huge 13 basis points to 1.74 percent, again the largest drop since Brexit.

Yields had briefly touched a six-month high around 1.8960 percent in early trade.

In commodity markets, gold climbed 3.4 percent to $1,318 an ounce as the dollar slid.

Oil turned tail on concerns over the global economic outlook, with U.S. crude shedding $1.34 to $43.63 a barrel, while Brent fell $1.24 to $44.80.

And Christ, Trump is now being reported as narrowly ahead in Pennsylvania, with 94% of votes counted. This isn't even going to be that close on the ECV.

Gold now $1331 already.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Pulpstar said:

She either needs a sip of water or she's upset that Trump is romping home. Poor lass!
    The BBC news room will need grief counselling
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

ABC 24
    'It really is like covering a wake' @zdaniel describe the mood at the #Clinton headquarters in Newyork #usavotes https://t.co/qTKiJfWRKG

Also in shock are the BBC and SKY.
  • Options
    Trump isn't going to be able to stop China overtaking the US as the world's number one economy. His supporters are going to be a bit disappointed by that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bless them. They've had a hard couple of years of election results programmes.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

My dad and I were talking about that the other day. I definitely think celebrity endorsement is a bad thing here, but I wasn't sure about the US. Jay Z and Beyonce are very popular, but do they really make a positive difference with swing voters?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bless them. They've had a hard couple of years of election results programmes.
    "It's been a terrrrrrrrrible night for the Republicans"
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Pulpstar said:

They're still on the course they were put on after Brexit.
  • Options
    Is it me or does the internet feel a bit sticky?
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

She also owes many apologies ...
    I didn't buy Plato's analysis, but I did defend her right to share the views with us. We don't do ourselves any favours trying to exclude any point of view, except for the libellous or offensive.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    To be fair if trump wins.....if???

Plato moves from POTY to LOTY. (Lord of PB and takes PB ermine)

:lol:

If?
  • Options
    Gaby Hinsliff @gabyhinsliff
    I'm normally a glass half full, every cloud a silver lining person, but I've got nothing for this. Except that Brexit now looks small beer
  • Options

Is it me or does the internet feel a bit sticky?

Haven't dared look at twitter.....
  • Options

Just sayin';

DavidL said:

Only one iirc.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Let's remember why this result happened.

The median income in Ohio is down $10,000.

If you lost that much money would you have voted to upend the establishment?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Trump isn't going to be able to stop China overtaking the US as the world's number one economy. His supporters are going to be a bit disappointed by that.

Just like Brexit, it's the potential disillusion that is so dangerous.
  • Options

Just sayin';

DavidL said:

Only one iirc.
    Don't let that get you down, I think there are lots of lurkers reading PB!
  • Options
    Clinton takes Nevada.
This discussion has been closed.