Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is looking like Clinton’s firewall was as useful a defence

Comments

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Interestingly, this kind of proves that Brexit is just part of a wider wave, and that the EU itself, like Hillary, was a casualty caught in it. The votes are anti-globalisation.

Bernie may have done better but any mainstream democrat would have lost to Trump. This isn't about individual favorability.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Sandpit said:

Is the end for political polling? Discuss.

Trump was never in the lead with any polls bar a couple around the conventions. Betfair never had him lower than 3 until a couple of hours ago. It's Brexit on steroids.

I think the national polls finished with Clinton about 3-4 and she'll end up winning by 1-2.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Analysis on Beeb: Clinton may have been let down by millennials (who wanted Bernie) deserting her and voting - not necessarily for Trump - but Libertarian or Green. Sounds plausible.

Suddenly it all makes sense. It's a little bit like the UK. One side of the argument is broadly united, the other divided.

In this case, the united, social conservative half is arguably the minority, but the main progressive party haemorrhages votes to splinter factions. For Green and Libertarian, read Lib Dem and SNP.

I'm probably indulging in oversimplification here, but you get where I'm coming from?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

Looking forward to reading Nate Silver's post mortem on what went wrong with the polls.

Goodhart's Law.

People in the long run tend to abuse their position for their own personal beliefs and needs.

Pollsters and the media abused their position once again peddling crap.
  • Options

Interestingly, this kind of proves that Brexit is just part of a wider wave, and that the EU itself, like Hillary, was a casualty caught in it. The votes are anti-globalisation.

Bernie may have done better but any mainstream democrat would have lost to Trump. This isn't about individual favorability.

Pre-Brexit -- Corbyn, the SNP and almost independence.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,063

It's alright being anti-globalisation. What do you do about it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Trump was never in the lead with any polls bar a couple around the conventions. Betfair never had him lower than 3 until a couple of hours ago. It's Brexit on steroids.

I think the national polls finished with Clinton about 3-4 and she'll end up winning by 1-2.
    Yep National polls were correct enough.
  • Options

Analysis on Beeb: Clinton may have been let down by millennials (who wanted Bernie) deserting her and voting - not necessarily for Trump - but Libertarian or Green. Sounds plausible.

Suddenly it all makes sense. It's a little bit like the UK. One side of the argument is broadly united, the other divided.

In this case, the united, social conservative half is arguably the minority, but the main progressive party haemorrhages votes to splinter factions. For Green and Libertarian, read Lib Dem and SNP.

I'm probably indulging in oversimplification here, but you get where I'm coming from?
    It's nonsense. Far more Republicans will have voted Johnson than Democrats voted Stein. Trump's won because enough working class Democrats and non-voters have voted for him rather Hillary not because of third parties.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Sandpit said:

certainly not the end for political betters. "Volatility is your friend."
  • Options
    CNN is ridiculous, they still haven't called Utah for Trump even if he leads Eggs McMuffin by almost 30%.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    MaxPB said:

Once again the financial markets call it wrong

Betting markets and polls (and Jack's ARSE!).
    Kudos to Rod Crosby who called it for Trump months ago
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    In 2008, Paul Linford said that if Clinton was the Dem candidate, the election was the Republicans' to lose.

I thought that was still true this year, particularly after emails.

However, I will freely admit I thought the republicans had done more than enough to lose this election narrowly, especially the way demographics favoured Democrats in the EC. Clearly I was guilty of gravely underestimating the effect of 40 years of scandal and 20 years of failure.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Only by piling votes up in California where they don't count.

The pollsters screwed up bigly here, as they did in the UK at the refereddum and the last election.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    it's like 1789 all over again! Vive La Revolution.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It looks like we are about to find out!

Now Trump has to deliver. Like Leave.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    ENG 102/3 at lunch.
  • Options
    Nigel Farage must seem like a god to the Trump team.
  • Options
    Trump trumps frump as Donald is the real deal
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Trump 48k up in PA with 97%
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    It seems the Clinton 'victory' rally was to be held in a building with a glass ceiling in NY, so she could make something of a point. Oh well. I wonder when she will be calling Donald Trump?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

The pollsters screwed up bigly here, as they did in the UK at the refereddum and the last election.
    A couple of points isn't a huge fail.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

MaxPB said:

Hr called it on the basis of Trump pivoting to the centre.
  • Options

Compete. For Britain we need 3 things:
    1. A White Heat of Technology approach. We can lead new technology on things like the environment
    2. A Dig for Britain approach. Pride in your community. Buy British grow British eat British
    3. A proper cost benefit analysis. Companies closing operations here to save pennies abroad has a higher cost on the nation - we need to pass that on. Corporation tax cuts if you pay a living wage and invest here. Tarrifs if you offshore operations and think you can continue to be here.

Fundamentally politicians on both sides of the Atlantic are in thrall to a banker set who profit from globalisation with the cost imposed on nation states and on communities. It has to stop or we get Trump. And Le Pen. And worse
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    RobD said:

Trump 48k up in PA with 97%

oops.. snip.
  • Options

At GE2015, Con + UKIP was a majority, UK-wide (just!)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    Polls and prediction websites are consistently getting it wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/states/pennsylvania/president

In PA both Blair and Cameron voted for Trump

as did Clinton
  • Options
    Who's got the video of the Norweigan football commentator? Maggie Thatcher et al, your boys took one hell of a beating.
  • Options
    The general impression I get is that Clinton and her supporters were too confident. Their claims reminded me of the article that used to keep getting posted here, about how Brown's Labour party couldn't possibly lose in 2010.

Basically the Clinton camp seemed to be arrogantly assuming the election was theirs by right, an attitude that probably helped alienate many swing voters.
  • Options
    And there has to be a Hitler parody with Hillary as the Fuhrer
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Frank Luntz and Nate Silver must be feeling a bit silly this morning.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Trump still leads by 1.2% in the national popular vote with a third of California now in
  • Options
    The polling company with the "who will your neighbours vote for?" question may have been on to something.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Hr called it on the basis of Trump pivoting to the centre.
    I guess the centre just isnt where you thought it was
  • Options

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

National polling was fine

The rust belt polling utterly failed though.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all,

When I went to bed Trump was losing Florida, aint it wonderful what 4 hours of sleep will do. :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

National polling was fine

The rust belt polling utterly failed though.
    Yeah, he won OH by almost 10 points!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    AndyJS said:

Why would Nate be feeling a bit silly ?

He predicted a wide wide ECV margin.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Well yes national polls are really based around what the national results will be.
  • Options
    CNN finally called Utah for Trump!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Why would Nate be feeling a bit silly ?

He predicted a wide wide ECV margin.
    Media group think
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Well yes national polls are really based around what the national results will be.
    Wisconsin looks like a huge polling failure to me.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited November 2016

1. A White Heat of Technology approach. We can lead new technology on things like the environment
    2. A Dig for Britain approach. Pride in your community. Buy British grow British eat British
    3. A proper cost benefit analysis. Companies closing operations here to save pennies abroad has a higher cost on the nation - we need to pass that on. Corporation tax cuts if you pay a living wage and invest here. Tarrifs if you offshore operations and think you can continue to be here.

Fundamentally politicians on both sides of the Atlantic are in thrall to a banker set who profit from globalisation with the cost imposed on nation states and on communities. It has to stop or we get Trump. And Le Pen. And worse
    No. That won't do. You won twice now with Brexit and now Trump. Congratulations. But you're in charge now. You have to stop Gobalisation like you promised. We'll be monitorng progress.
  • Options
    Republicans retain the House.

Whether they'll work with Trump is another question, but if they do assuming the Senate stays red - which seems a very safe assumption - he's going to be extremely powerful, more so than any president since George W. Bush before Katrina.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    White man speak with forked tongue. Well to pollsters he does.
  • Options

I can understand why people are angry and upset but there isn't really anything that can be done about globalisation. Trump's supporters are probably going to end up being disappointed with him before long.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,063
    edited November 2016

An interesting set of ?policies?, thanks. The problem is I think they're pretty much unworkable, at least for a country our size. That's not being defeatist; it's a sign of how interconnected the world has become.

It may well be more possible for the US.

Edit: besides, that does nothing about globalisation. It may offset he worst effects of it, but it's not 'anti-globalisation'; especially if a more prosperous UK increases exports.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Biggest polling failure = Wisconsin, probably the most white Democrat unexpected Trumpsters too.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    This is the funniest political statement since Michael Gove accused Boris Johnson of lacking judgement:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AshleySemlerBBC/status/796230889558732800
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    AndyJS said:

I can understand why people are angry and upset but there isn't really anything that can be done about globalisation. Trump's supporters are probably going to end up being disappointed with him before long.
    At which point they swing to the right.
  • Options
    Crooked Hillary 1000 ahead in New Hampshire now
  • Options
    I feel that the networks will refuse to call the election for Trump.
    Even if Trump wins by 1% in PA with just 3% left.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Still can't believe that Hillary didn't set foot in the state during the campaign.
  • Options

Has Obama's legacy died tonight

Trump will keep gay marriage and in foreign policy is arguably further from George W Bush than Obama. If his victory is confirmed it will not only be a devastating defeat for the Clintons and the Democratic establishment, the Democrats will now certainly shift to the populist left but also a devastating defeat for the Bushes and the GOP establishment. Trump is a nationalist and protectionist and question marks must also be asked about the future of NAFTA and the WTO as well as the EU post Brexit if the nationalist wave boosts Le Pen and Wilders too
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What is the analysis here.

I mean if Comey doesn't send his letter does Clinton win?
  • Options
    I hope Hillary can win Maine, Minnesota and New Hampshire.

On £15/ECV :o
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Still can't believe that Hillary didn't set foot in the state during the campaign.
    This election has overturned a number of previous assumptions as to what's needed to win, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

You can't blame them for feeling taken for granted.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Touch complacement, just assumed it would fall Democrat.

An interesting point to note is that the polls tightened towards Trump, both statewide and nationally - but barely any had him ahead, so it was less noted..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

OUT said:

Biggest polling failure = Wisconsin, probably the most white Democrat unexpected Trumpsters too.
    Survey Monkey had Trump ahead in Wisconsin by 1% on Saturday
  • Options
    Hillary looking good in Minnesota :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Crumbs of comfort! Wonder when we are going to get the concession.
  • Options
    Trump up 59k in PA, still at 97% in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Crumbs of comfort! Wonder when we are going to get the concession.
    Crumbs ?

Its £150 I'll save !
  • Options

No. That won't do. You won twice now with Brexit and now Trump. Congratulations. By you're in charge now. You have to stop Gobalisation like you promised. We'll be monitorng progress.
    People both like and dislike globalisation. Globalisation can't be stopped entirely. Nor can you cherry-pick so that we only get the good aspects of globalisation (access to cheap goods and services, we all get richer) and completely avoid the bad (various forms of social and economic dislocation). But it is possible to prioritise what voters desire.

One example with respect to Brexit: mass unskilled immigration with no government power to limit numbers is an aspect of globalisation that most people are not entirely happy with. Implementing it was a poor policy choice (on the behalf of the EU, or the EU national leaders who had the power to stop it) and it may well prove to be one of the things that brings down the EU as we know it. Post-Brexit it becomes a policy choice for the UK government, or whatever's left of it.

It's incorrect to think there are zero policy choices and nothing anybody can do about anything. There is a limited policy space, and there are certainly costs associated with policies, but it's not beyond the wit of government to change the face of globalisation and its lived experience within the UK.
  • Options
    Just off to work. Gonna be stuck in a BA set all day so I'm going to miss all the fun.
    That Clinton rally looks like a wake. How will the US pull itself together now that half its population is deplorable?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

OUT said:

Survey Monkey had Trump ahead in Wisconsin by 1% on Saturday
    They had Hillary winning 51-44 all the time nationally.
  • Options

Just off to work. Gonna be stuck in a BA set all day so I'm going to miss all the fun.
    That Clinton rally looks like a wake. How will the US pull itself together now that half its population is deplorable?

We're all deplorables now? :p
  • Options
    Pundit bewildered by Trump's win because Twitter was always lambasting him.

To quote Talleyrand, they have learned nothing...

I thought he would lose, but that was hardly an indicator of popularity or not.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Call the d@mn thing already, it's morning.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Call the d@mn thing already, it's morning.
    I need to go to bed as I have to be at work early tomorrow!
  • Options
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited November 2016
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    RobD said:
    The CNN political editor was somewhat unconvincingly arguing that Trump would follow Paul Ryan's agenda.
  • Options
    Hope nobody lost too much money tonight!
  • Options
    And a protectionist, isolationist government. What happened next to the American economy.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    They held all of them in 2004 as well!

(Not, as Charles points out, that either is a happy parallel).

Edit - also Eisenhower in 1952 I think. Don't know who Ann Coulter is but she's clearly done no research.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Trump presently leads the national popular vote by almost 1. 5 million votes with over a third of California having now reported
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Depending on how many dip shits vote Stein in California my betting roll is wiped out.
  • Options
    Hillary pulling away in New Hampshire :D
  • Options
    Nearly had heart attack just now when I thought I saw Trump out to 42 -- but it is Hillary -- Betfair swapped them round in their lists.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    It seems obvious now that what Clinton should have done was to ignore Trump completely and just focus on her own policies. By taking on Trump she was doing exactly what he and his supporters wanted.
  • Options
    So France is going to go bankrupt.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    The thought of Le Pen opening it?
  • Options
    Perhaps President Le Pen can open them?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Finally someone has called it:

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/796229649344954368

Trump is President.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It seems obvious now that what Clinton should have done was to ignore Trump completely and just focus on her own policies. By taking on Trump she was doing exactly what he and his supporters wanted.

The lack of last minute scandal to throw at Trump on the weekend was a big miss.
  • Options
    Careful -- the French will soon be voting as well.
  • Options
    Hope it's not being cheeky to ask - how did people do betting wise?

I've made my biggest ever single-event profit of about £1660 (prev best was £1100 on Nadal v Federer at Australia 2009).
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I didn't do too badly. My Spin lost only a free bet of £50, and I backed Trump at 5.7 yesterday, and in all of the great lakes states inc Pennsylvania. I think about £250 up overall. I lost on a few states but never thought there was much value in Hillary. Mike did well to bale out of the Spin when he did. My equities will take a bit of a battering, but I have been bearish on US and Asian stocks.

• Options
    And here is probably the official anthem of President Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxyN3z9PL4
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

corporeal said:

Sandpit said:

Trump presently leads the national popular vote by almost 1. 5 million votes with over a third of California having now reported
    In a way, I hope he does win the popular vote, however marginal.

It will hang over this election like a bad smell if the EC/Popular Vote is split again, and make it even harder for the country to come together (harder than it already is!)
  • Options
    Waiting for Godot in Pennsylvania...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Finally someone has called it:

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/796229649344954368

Trump is President.

The Trump Train has arrived at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This train terminates here.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Aussie stock exchange down 2%. Hang Seng and Bombay both off by 3%. the Nikkei is down by over 5%, presumably due to the appreciation of the Yen.

Given that it is virtually certain that Trump will win, I'm surprised (and relieved) that it's not worse. Hopefully means there won't be a rout when the bourses open in Europe.
  • Options
    He's now up 70k in PA.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited November 2016
    I'm not sure what the delay is in declaring Pennsylvania. Surely any minute now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 5m

Evan McMullin came second in Utah; Mitt Romney must examine his conscience, his silence cost evan the state. @MittRomney
This discussion has been closed.