Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why YouGov says we should beware of the phantom swings: dramat

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

I know this may seem late in the day but why is Hilary so disliked/hated?

She may be a charisma-free zone and with not that many achievements to her name. But those don't seem like reasons to hate. Is she more untruthful than most politicians?

What is it about her that so many people dislike to the extent that they apparently do?

The Clintons immediately rubbed the Washington press up the wrong way when Bill became president. Hillary gave a number of highly combative interviews. Everything the Clintons do is filtered through a hostile press.
    It didn't stop Bill winning the Presidency twice, though. And it was years ago. There must be something more than that. I just don't get the level of vitriol that she appears to inspire.

8 years as first lady, 8 years as a Senator, 4 years as Secretary of State, then four years as the presumptive nominee, she's been at the executive/federal level longer than anyone since Bush Senior or maybe FDR.

You accumulate a lot of enemies even if you do the right things in all of those jobs.
    She was a popular senator and had good ratings as secretary of state. She now stands on the verge of being the US's first female president.

If the Republicans had nominated a human being instead of a psychotic, sex fiend then I doubt their campaign would have been quite so focussed on trying to make Clinton to be worthy of the electric chair for using a home email.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited November 2016

Trump will be an extremely powerful president. He'll have majorities in both houses of Congress and on the Supreme Court. The only checks and balances will be provided by Republican controlled entities. It's going to be a hell of a few years.

As (then) brigadier A. C. McAuliffe said when asked to surrender by the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge:
    "Nuts."
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Alistair said:

619 said:
    That's a Clinton landslide if true.
    i think Clinton will win NC.

Why people care about her emails compared to a vile human being like Trump surprises me.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

She may be a charisma-free zone and with not that many achievements to her name. But those don't seem like reasons to hate. Is she more untruthful than most politicians?

What is it about her that so many people dislike to the extent that they apparently do?

Corrupt
    Serial liar
    Only in it for herself
    Hypocrite
    Two faced
    Bully

I think that's enough.
    I definitely think with Hilary there is a large element of Buggins' turn. She felt that it was her turn in 2008 which is why she tried even harder this time to shut out Sanders by using the DNC.

Hilary's pitch as far as I can see it is: it is time for a woman president. I am a woman.

Both Trump and Sanders on the other hand have pitched themselves as change candidates.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Any Christmas dinner experts out there, this year it is my turn to host dinner, what are the pros and cons of getting a goose? I'm putting together an order and the option to get a goose is available.

Goose is very fatty and despite their size, you’ll struggle to feed more than four I've found.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

Corrupt
    Serial liar
    Only in it for herself
    Hypocrite
    Two faced
    Bully

I think that's enough.

I hope your pockets are deep, accusing someone of being corrupt doesn't come pain free.
    Chance of Clinton sueing Plato = 0.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Cookie said:

glw said:

JohnLoony said:

The most bizarre thing about this whole thing is that Clinton isn't leading against Trump by 90:10 in every single state. If the people of the USA were normal people, like we are here in Europe, then Clinton would be heading towards a 538:0 landslide.

No. The UK equivalent would be Cherie Blair v. Nigel Farage.

In England overall that would be very close.
    The comparison I've used to explain what is going on is Cherie Blair versus Alan Sugar.
    Nah. Both Lefties/Remainers.

I presume it's Sugar because Trump also did The Apprentice but Farage is a much better fit.
    But Farage is quite good at cheerful/affable. Many people find him likeable. Alan Sugar has the perma-anger of Donald Trump.
    Though really, there isn't a British equivalent - or even really an American equivalent. Donald is sui generis.
    Yes definitely - even I, as a lefty remainer, could see why you would choose to have a pint with Farage , politics aside he seems alright. Trump on the other hand, seems to be a very flawed narcissistic individual on a personal level, much more dislikeable.

Cherie Blair vs Piers Morgan perhaps!
    FBI vs Al Capone
    The number of legal types who've cited RICO in relation to CF and CGI is notable. The FBI have 4 area offices investigating the CF now. It's a racket - anyone who's read the Podesta emails can see it.

All the rest is handwaving.
    ha. You have no problems with the Trump foundation then?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

Corrupt
    Serial liar
    Only in it for herself
    Hypocrite
    Two faced
    Bully

I think that's enough.
    And yet she stands on the verge of being the first female president of the US. She must be doing some things right....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

619 said:
    When was the last time a man did anything early ?
    Ask your other half.

Boom tish
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Any Christmas dinner experts out there, this year it is my turn to host dinner, what are the pros and cons of getting a goose? I'm putting together an order and the option to get a goose is available.

very fatty compared to turkey, i had one once and it was a smoke filled bird shrinking stress situation. the end result was ok. i recommend more research than i did!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Goose is very, very, very fatty under the skin, so you need to cook it very carefully drawing off the excess fat. Get it right, and it's tastier than most turkeys, however.

Also, as already said, it won't feed all that many people.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

Only had goose once - pints of grease fat and pretty tasteless meat. Wouldn't cook one again, most disappointed.

If you fancy something different - I'd go for venison or pheasant et al.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

MaxPB said:

Goose is very fatty and despite their size, you’ll struggle to feed more than four I've found.
    Hmm that might be a problem since I have 8 people to serve including myself. I just find turkey so bland.
  • Options
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

Corrupt
    Serial liar
    Only in it for herself
    Hypocrite
    Two faced
    Bully

I think that's enough.
    And yet she stands on the verge of being the first female president of the US. She must be doing some things right....
    Nah, she won't be the first female President, Edith Wilson holds that title.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

MaxPB said:

Goose is very, very, very fatty under the skin, so you need to cook it very carefully drawing off the excess fat. Get it right, and it's tastier than most turkeys, however.

OK, yeah I figured it would be a bit like duck in that sense. I'll have to do a bit of research I guess. Did you find that it went well with a roast dinner, as well as a more traditional bird or wellington?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    MaxPB said:

Thoroughly recommend goose. Much more flavour than turkey, and if you strain the fat and keep it you have a year's supply of cooking fat for nothing. And much easier to cook than many people think, so long as you keep an eye on it.

Don't get one from a supermarket though - they don't have so much flavour and often don't have much meat on them. We got our last one from a game dealer and it was first rate.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Hmm that might be a problem since I have 8 people to serve including myself. I just find turkey so bland.
    The turkey is an excuse to have proper bread sauce and stuffing. Everything else is optional.

Maybe tiny sausages wrapped in bacon as well.

Love bread sauce. Slowly simmering stale breadcrumbs in milk with bayleaves, nutmeg, all spice and a clove spiked Onion. Gorgeous.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Goose has so much fat that it melts away almost to nothing. Duck would be better.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Definitely try venison - you can get a hind that'll fit in the cooker and very tasty.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited November 2016
    MaxPB said:

It depends on how many are coming. Geese are very bony with a big ribcage - you may need to consider a second meat if it's a big table. Garnish it with appropriate sausages, maybe.

I'm sure the price won't be a factor for you but that will put some off. Goose is very fatty so you'll get excellent roast potatoes and lots of spare. And a lot of oven cleaning afterwards once the smell has finally gone.

But it's a fantastic dinner and I love it - worth the effort. Hope that helps a little.

Edit: apologies, I wandered off and everyone has already covered this!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The turkey is an excuse to have proper bread sauce and stuffing. Everything else is optional.

Love bread sauce. Slowly simmering stale breadcrumbs in milk with bayleaves, nutmeg, all spice and a clove spiked Onion. Gorgeous.
    Bread sauce is banned at our Christmas dinners after my dad made a particularly poor one and decided not to make gravy. Left us with Bisto and since then my sister has banned it completely!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fatty goose.....yuck it sounds gross. Geese are far better left well alone to make those wonderful, migratory formations .....Turkey, from memory was like eating dried cardboard. Why not save a life and make a nut roast? I'm sure that'll go down well.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Bread sauce is banned at our Christmas dinners after my dad made a particularly poor one and decided not to make gravy. Left us with Bisto and since then my sister has banned it completely!
    This post makes me sad.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll look into venison as well, @PlatoSaid and duck, @Sean_Fear.

Didn't realise that geese were so small.
  • Options
    Bruce Porter Jnr
    Huma Abedin's got 2 warnings her emails was hacked once in 2010 by Yahoo & another by FBI in April #PodestaEmails26 https://t.co/idPn7xQpeK
  • Options
    tyson said:

MaxPB said:

Fatty goose.....yuck it sounds gross. Geese are far better left well alone to make those wonderful, migratory formations .....Turkey, from memory was like eating dried cardboard. Why not save a life and make a nut roast? I'm sure that'll go down well.
    I thought that, but forbore. It can be very nice, but requires application beyond just cooking a hunk of meat.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

This post makes me sad.
    I shall try bread sauce in that case!
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

"She cannot be and will not be solicitous and she is to many the symbol of corner-cutting entitlement."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/forget-clintipathy---the-real-reason-hillary-is-so-unpopular-is/
  • Options
    Well something is clearly very wrong after 8yrs of Democrats

Washington Examiner
    FBI: Gun sales hit 18th straight monthly record, biggest year ever https://t.co/OUtfMMeDMg https://t.co/yiGZcvdAGz
  • Options
    tyson said:

MaxPB said:

*I* am the only vegetarian in the PB village!

You eat FISH!!!
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

I know this may seem late in the day but nwhy is Hilary so disliked/hated?

I know some people overuse this term but she has been atttaked in a way I don't think a man would be tbh. Ever since she came on the scene it was obvious she was the policy person behind Bill so the Republicans have always seen her as a threat.
  • Options

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

You eat FISH!!!
    I eat seafood...... which I classify as floating mushrooms....
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

You eat FISH!!!
    Tyson, if you had suggested a nice large wild salmon instead of a nut roast I may have got on board!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Turkey is bland, compared to most, however its tradition and people expect that. Try serving and accompanying meat dish to go with. Nigella’s spiced ham is very good though probably inappropriate for you? – But you’re the chef, start your own ‘tradition’ and go with beef.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Definitely try venison - you can get a hind that'll fit in the cooker and very tasty.
    Wotcha, Miss. P., we have venison regularly. The deer are so numerous around here they are a bloody nuisance, so their meat is relatively cheap, often outright free (if you know the right people). However, it does need careful cooking otherwise it can be very dry and quite tough. I cook venison slowly in a casserole or as a stew, never as a roast suitable for Christmas luncheon.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    PlatoSaid said:

Well something is clearly very wrong after 8yrs of Democrats

Washington Examiner
    FBI: Gun sales hit 18th straight monthly record, biggest year ever https://t.co/OUtfMMeDMg https://t.co/yiGZcvdAGz

Yes a lot of right wing fuelled paranoia about how Obama is going to take everyone's guns away.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

I know this may seem late in the day but nwhy is Hilary so disliked/hated?

I know some people overuse this term but she has been atttaked in a way I don't think a man would be tbh. Ever since she came on the scene it was obvious she was the policy person behind Bill so the Republicans have always seen her as a threat.
    Cobblers. Look at what Democrats say about female Republicans - victim playing is so passe. Politics is a contact sport. You think another world leader cares about hurting her feelings? FFS.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

You eat FISH!!!
    more like insects, no? the pair of you consider all the fantastic culinary experiences you are missing...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Turkey is bland, compared to most, however its tradition and people expect that. Try serving and accompanying meat dish to go with. Nigella’s spiced ham is very good though probably inappropriate for you? – But you’re the chef, start your own ‘tradition’ and go with beef.
    Wrong religion, but I eat anything. Never been one to bother with that rubbish. I think beef might go down poorly though since only myself and my brother-in-law would eat it. I'm boxed into poultry, just wanted to do something other than bland turkey. Every other year I try and jazz it up, but it's always bland. :/
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Wotcha, Miss. P., we have venison regularly. The deer are so numerous around here they are a bloody nuisance, so their meat is relatively cheap, often outright free (if you know the right people). However, it does need careful cooking otherwise it can be very dry and quite tough. I cook venison slowly in a casserole or as a stew, never as a roast suitable for Christmas luncheon.
    Oh, I eat it a lot - steaks are juicy and yummy. Makes wonderful goulash et al too. Never had a bad experience.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Wrong religion, but I eat anything. Never been one to bother with that rubbish. I think beef might go down poorly though since only myself and my brother-in-law would eat it. I'm boxed into poultry, just wanted to do something other than bland turkey. Every other year I try and jazz it up, but it's always bland. :/
    Capon.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

You eat FISH!!!
    But still animals, I'm afraid!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    Goose is too fatty and to roast it requires constant attention to drain away the fat. Unless you want to spend all Christmas Day in the kitchen on fat duty, forget about it. Wait until your next trip to Eastern Europe if you want goose (or pay a visit to the Czech Club in West Hampstead).

Turkey is totally boring, and is not actually traditional. It's a Yank import.

Venison is not fatty enough to make a good roast.

Go with beef. Get the very best you can find and make a proper, proper roast.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Your family are missing out, Mr. Max. A properly cooked bread sauce as described by Mr. Alistair (note the clove spiked onion) is a food fit for the Gods.

Good quality sausages wrapped in bacon are a seasonal treat too. I always cook too many of them so that we have some to eat cold when we feel hungry mid-evening.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited November 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

I'm an IT guy and her email story is implausible at best, dishonest in the middle and downright corrupt at worst.

AIUI you're a lawyer/investigator working in financial services.

How would you react if one of the senior traders at your firm was caught with company secrets / client data on their own email account? Not just a random gmail account either, but on their own server at home? When you asked them to turn it over, they produced a pile of printed out emails and had wiped the server with industrial server cleaner. Yet when questioned they say there's nothing wrong and you have everything you need to see.

What do you say about that person, when the boss asks you for a reference for their promotion?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Duck, then. Or partridge, with bread sauce and game chips.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Your family are missing out, Mr. Max. A properly cooked bread sauce as described by Mr. Alistair (note the clove spiked onion) is a food fit for the Gods.

Good quality sausages wrapped in bacon are a seasonal treat too. I always cook too many of them so that we have some to eat cold when we feel hungry mid-evening.
    I think I will break the rules and try a bread sauce, yourself and Alistair have convinced me.

I do proper sausages wrapped in proper bacon as well, none or that cocktail sized stuff. It's definitely the only way to have it!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

I believe social psychologists call it group polarization:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization#Real-life_applications
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Duck, then. Or partridge, with bread sauce and game chips.
    Replace or with and.

Do a 4 bird roast...
  • Options
    This was just on CSPAN

How did #HillarysHuma get National Security Clearance⁉
    Listen to Huma's resume!! Btw, where's Huma? #wednesdaywisdom
    https://t.co/wLS2JSYEQ1
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

Yes, I wouldn't argue with any of that.

It may of course be as the thread header suggests we are seeing a lot of MSM inspired sound and fury which will ultimately amount to nothing very much.

We forget sometimes just how different and varied America is for all we see it as some kind of kindred spirit. I've found parts of the US as alien as anywhere I've ever been. There is both enormous wealth and enormous poverty (relative rather than absolute) and for many Americans it's a tough miserable existence with things such as holidays and illness unaffordable.

HRC is portrayed and been created to be the epitome and incarnation of what is perceived to be the failure of America. Trump offers nothing of course - at best he is rehashed Reagan rhetoric - but he does offer change and there comes a point when people who no longer have any confidence in the present and the future will reach out to anyone who offers that change.

Very often, the change that comes won't be in their favour but that's not how it seems - it's all about getting one over "the system" - Brexit had large elements of this, Trump also has elements of it. It's not a crisis of democracy any more than 2008 was a crisis of capitalism. It's a crisis of what we have allowed democracy to become just as 2008 became a crisis of what we had allowed capitalism to become.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

You eat FISH!!!
    And squid? Have some heart!
  • Options
    Charles said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

MaxPB said:

You eat FISH!!!
    And squid? Have some heart!
    Baby octopus is food of the gods. Please let us not put Tyson off it, it's a kind of crime.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Turkey and ham seem to be regularly served together here in N Ireland and I find that solves a lot of the problem.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The success if the turkey - and by extension the whole of the Christmas dinner - is, in my experience, dependent on the success of the gravy.
    But although the turkey is the star of the show, the pig makes just as significant a contribution - good quality sausages are essential, sausagemeat stuffing is wonderful, and frying sprouts with pancetta is a great improvement on boiling them. Plus continental ham with the starter and pork pies for supper.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited November 2016
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Turkey is perhaps the worst of all the meats. Still ok or even good, but lags behind the rest.

Roast parsnips are splendid.

Edited extra bit: and I'm hoping to have Kingdom Asunder out this month, rather than December.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    MaxPB said:

how many people? because more than 6 and you will have problems getting a goose big enough in my experience. http://www.geese.cc/pages/cooking-your-goose.html gives you an idea of weight. When I have bought goose in the past, one that should have fed 8 was just about enough for 5 of us. So you risk no leftovers for Boxing Day.
  • Options
    WTF

EU commission firearms expert who supports restrictions on gun owners been caught trafficking illegal arms: #EUpol https://t.co/0onEkYZ841
  • Options
    F1: Brawn doesn't have a job with Liberty/F1 after all. Yet, at least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37847748
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Cyclefree said:

Alistair said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

The Clintons immediately rubbed the Washington press up the wrong way when Bill became president. Hillary gave a number of highly combative interviews. Everything the Clintons do is filtered through a hostile press.
    It didn't stop Bill winning the Presidency twice, though. And it was years ago. There must be something more than that. I just don't get the level of vitriol that she appears to inspire.

Republicans hate her with a vengeance and they are the source of the vitriol. And the mud sticks. Repeat Crooked Hillary a thousand times and people start to believe it.

Personally I admire her strength and tenacity but I fear her hawkishness which I feel may be more dangerous than Trump's Realpolitik.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

I believe social psychologists call it group polarization:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization#Real-life_applications
    Good term. The web certainly offers quicker polarization (a phase change?) than does chatting over the pig pen or the bush telegraph.
  • Options
    MrsB, that's not a problem, it's a double advantage. Tastier meat, and extra reason not to have a small horde in attendance.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Turkey is perhaps the worst of all the meats.

It's the canvass upon which the Christmas feast is painted, lets face it. The trimmings are the treat.
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Turkey is perhaps the worst of all the meats. Still ok or even good, but lags behind the rest.

Roast parsnips are splendid.

Edited extra bit: and I'm hoping to have Kingdom Asunder out this month, rather than December.

That's a first....a writer who's ahead of deadline.....

• Options
    edited November 2016

F1: Brawn doesn't have a job with Liberty/F1 after all. Yet, at least.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/37847748

If the new shareholders have any sense, they will have Mr Brawn in for a chat next week. He would be a massive asset to the sport.
  • Options
    While we're talking of random things, "The Crown" is released on Netflix on Friday. Already commissioned for a second series it tells the story of a young Elizabeth and Philip.

I believe it's the most expensive thing ever produced by Netflix, with an all star cast in front and behind of the camera. I hope it's good. The BBC need to completely rethink how they do drama.

There was a question on a thread yesterday about what makes Elizabeth II great. Perhaps this will provide part of the answer.
  • Options

the pair of you consider all the fantastic culinary experiences you are missing...

Young TSE: Fancy a drink?

Young Sunil: Got any Quorn?

Young TSE: If you want.
    [he also grabs a bottle of meat from the fridge]

Young Sunil: Meat? Urgh!

Young TSE: It's what Ian Rush drinks!

Young Sunil: Ian Rush?

Young TSE: Yeah, and he says, when I grow up, if I didn't drink lots of meat, I wouldn't be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley!

Young Sunil: Accrington Stanley? Who are they?

Young TSE: Exactly!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

WTF

EU commission firearms expert who supports restrictions on gun owners been caught trafficking illegal arms: #EUpol https://t.co/0onEkYZ841

Increased restrictions make his market larger and more profitable.

Simples.
  • Options

Goose is too fatty and to roast it requires constant attention to drain away the fat. Unless you want to spend all Christmas Day in the kitchen on fat duty, forget about it. Wait until your next trip to Eastern Europe if you want goose (or pay a visit to the Czech Club in West Hampstead).

It might be just me, but I think bef is too risky for a christmas lunch. At any rate I have never been able to get it right and in anycase people will disagree about how pink it should be. Unless the chef really knows what he/she is doing with beef I wouldn't advise it.

If it has to be poultry then capon as suggested up thread seems a sensible idea, I did it one year and it went down very well, but they key thing with any poultry, or indeed any meat, is to chose the supplier carefully. A mass produced capon bought from a big chain is going to be no more flavoursome than a mass produced Turkey.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Turkey is perhaps the worst of all the meats.

It's the canvass upon which the Christmas feast is painted, lets face it. The trimmings are the treat.

Turkey is the meat of choice because of the high levels of trytophan - it makes your guests drowsy and easier to manage
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    also MaxPB you could cook a ham. Big joint, roast in oven in a tin foil tent 30 mins per 500 g at 180C and then take out, take off the skin, criss-cross score the fat, put cloves at the intersections, spread mustard more or less all over and then press dark brown sugar on top. Back in the oven for another 30 mins. Can be cooked the day before, saves stress on Christmas Day.
    We also have turkey. And a stuffing made like a large sausage roll, with Paxo as the filling and sausagemeat as the outside. Cover with beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Roast (exact time depends on size) day before, wrapped in greaseproof paper. Excess fat comes off when you peel the paper off when it has cooled down. Slice to serve.

Anyone want my grandmother's Christmas pudding recipe?
  • Options

It might be just me, but I think bef is too risky for a christmas lunch. At any rate I have never been able to get it right and in anycase people will disagree about how pink it should be. Unless the chef really knows what he/she is doing with beef I wouldn't advise it.

If it has to be poultry then capon as suggested up thread seems a sensible idea, I did it one year and it went down very well, but they key thing with any poultry, or indeed any meat, is to chose the supplier carefully. A mass produced capon bought from a big chain is going to be no more flavoursome than a mass produced Turkey.
    I have never had capon, have never really heard anyone mention it outside of Shakespeare plays, and had no idea it was commercially available. In fact, I had a vague notion it was illegal. Will have to investigate.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I fear your suggestion may be predicated on an assumption that is not necessarily at one with reality.

Mr. Tyson, :D

If possible, I try to have a bit of leeway with these sort of things. And it's the first fantasy novel I've released since 2013... so it may be early, but it's still been a while.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

Corrupt
    Serial liar
    Only in it for herself
    Hypocrite
    Two faced
    Bully

I think that's enough.
    Fair and balanced, Plato style
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Yes please!
  • Options
    Whatever you think, it's something to ponder. This guy isn't a nitwit.

"In summary, Clinton’s message this closing week is that Trump is politically incorrect, offensive to many people, and sexually aggressive beyond the point of appropriate social behavior. That’s all the stuff you already assumed about Trump a year ago. And it doesn’t scare you, no matter how badly it offends you.

Meanwhile, the current news cycle along with Trump’s supporters have framed Clinton as a low-stamina liar with a drinking problem who is running a criminal enterprise (The Clinton Foundation) that sells influence to foreign countries and companies that are more interested in war than peace. While she trash-talks Putin. That stuff could get all of us killed.

Fear is the strongest persuasion. Clinton has largely abandoned her fear message in the final weeks to focus on Trump’s words and behaviors involving women. Comparing the persuasion game on both sides, I predict Trump wins in a landslide. "

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/152644376081/the-persuasion-scorecard-update-one-week-out
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889

Ah food, a subject on which I can speak with a lifetime of authority.

Not much to disagree with here - with venison, even if it's properly hung, you need something to provide the fat - good bacon will suffice. Mr Stodge Senior insists on a good redcurrant jelly with his venison.

I've had beef for Christmas lunch on a couple of occasions and as always a properly prepared decent cut - well, you can't go too far wrong. Served with a good homemade horseradish sauce with a decent kick to it.

I'm not against lamb either - again, all that matters are the quality of the meat and the preparation. If both are sound, lamb makes an excellent Christmas repast.

Not a huge fan of poultry to be honest - Mrs Stodge made me cook roast pork a couple of years back from an excellent farm shop in the wilds of Essex. Last year we were in Palm Springs on Christmas Day - they try hard but it's just not the same...

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

:+1:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    The RMT have nothing on this guy...

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/11/01/bart-janitor-grossed-270k-in-pay-and-benefits-last-year/

BART janitor grossed $270K in pay and benefits last year
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think I will break the rules and try a bread sauce, yourself and Alistair have convinced me.

I do proper sausages wrapped in proper bacon as well, none or that cocktail sized stuff. It's definitely the only way to have it!
    Note of caution: if you do decide to go with goose (and why not, at the very least it will be different - but as others have noted you really must get two birds if you're feeding 8), do practice roasting one ahead of time (do you celebrate Thanksgiving?). It's not quite as forgiving as turkey, and you do need to have the confidence not to give it too long in the oven. Over-baked goose is seriously unpleasant.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, venison is quite fantastic.

Mr. Charles, wouldn't chloroform be more effective?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

"In summary, Clinton’s message this closing week is that Trump is politically incorrect, offensive to many people, and sexually aggressive beyond the point of appropriate social behavior. That’s all the stuff you already assumed about Trump a year ago. And it doesn’t scare you, no matter how badly it offends you.

Meanwhile, the current news cycle along with Trump’s supporters have framed Clinton as a low-stamina liar with a drinking problem who is running a criminal enterprise (The Clinton Foundation) that sells influence to foreign countries and companies that are more interested in war than peace. While she trash-talks Putin. That stuff could get all of us killed.

Fear is the strongest persuasion. Clinton has largely abandoned her fear message in the final weeks to focus on Trump’s words and behaviors involving women. Comparing the persuasion game on both sides, I predict Trump wins in a landslide. "

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/152644376081/the-persuasion-scorecard-update-one-week-out

Ouch!
  • Options
    MrsB said:

also MaxPB you could cook a ham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDUIGvpDolw

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello everyone.

Corrupt
    Serial liar
    Only in it for herself
    Hypocrite
    Two faced
    Bully

I think that's enough.
    Fair and balanced, Plato style
    :smiley:

As a lonely voice of the alternative to PBers liberal bias, I will chortle endlessly if Trump gets even close. If he wins, well... It'll be epically amusing.

I've just cancelled my appts on 8/9th. I'm glued.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Oh, I eat it a lot - steaks are juicy and yummy. Makes wonderful goulash et al too. Never had a bad experience.
    Yes, venison is excellent if you can buy it locally. We often do it for Christmas lunch, just pan fry the steaks then serve alongside the traditional vegetables with a redcurrant or blackberry sauce rather than a cranberry jam. Celeriac puree with a ton of cream and nutmeg makes a great addition.

Turkey is a dire meat – no idea why people persist with it at Christmas time.

However, PB has done it's work again. Capon! Now there is an idea. I may look into this for this year.

Agree that beef can be disappointing. It is very hard to judge it correctly – over cook it and it is completely ruined.
  • Options
    Wikileaks
    DoJ Assistant Attorney Peter Kadzik outed as a mole for Hillary Clinton campaign https://t.co/MNHzJ310Nl https://t.co/uTQF6baWBC
  • Options
    MrsB said:

also MaxPB you could cook a ham. Big joint, roast in oven in a tin foil tent 30 mins per 500 g at 180C and then take out, take off the skin, criss-cross score the fat, put cloves at the intersections, spread mustard more or less all over and then press dark brown sugar on top. Back in the oven for another 30 mins. Can be cooked the day before, saves stress on Christmas Day.
    We also have turkey. And a stuffing made like a large sausage roll, with Paxo as the filling and sausagemeat as the outside. Cover with beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Roast (exact time depends on size) day before, wrapped in greaseproof paper. Excess fat comes off when you peel the paper off when it has cooled down. Slice to serve.

Ham works well and has the wow factor. Try black treacle instead of sugar – Nigella has a great recipe that is dead easy.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ouch!
    He is a nitwit. He said because Isis haven't committed an attack on the USA, they support Clinton, because they won't give Trump a hand.
  • Options
    geoffw said:
    Polls and early voting have Clinton at a big advantage.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    Goose is tasty and easy to cook and any leftover is excellent cold. You may want something else to go with it, and it helps stretch the portions if you are a big party. Ham works well. And you also need something acid to cut the fat flavour - eg red cabbage. Turkey can be good but you need to buy the very best quality. Any goose however is good, even those that are frozen.

One Christmas my wife and I were looking for a suitable dinner and ended up with a quail - one between us. The molecules were few in number but delicious.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, if you're after ye olde dishes you may want to try pike. Not had it myself, but it's just eaten with the hands and is apparently rather good.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Another police shooting in the US:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37845679
  • Options

The RMT have nothing on this guy...

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2016/11/01/bart-janitor-grossed-270k-in-pay-and-benefits-last-year/

BART janitor grossed $270K in pay and benefits last year

That's impressive, overtime rates obviously compound so the marginal rate with weekend and night allowance is something mad.

As a student working in a bar/ function room, I once had my December timesheet queried by HR. Yes it was 325 hours, not 225 as she thought it was supposed to be. She didn't understand how or why that would be correct!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,518

weejonnie said:

619 said:
    Ever heard of black-ops?
    Ah yes the EDL defender speaks.
    But in that Trump case surely it's painfully (not to say embarrassingly) obvious?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Turkey isn't traditional at all – it is a American import from Thanksgiving. Not sure how or why we ended up ruining Christmas Day by being forced to eat the stuff.
  • Options
    Have we seen this one?

A poll from the Auto Alliance and Entertainment Software Association (ESA) finds Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump ahead of Hillary Clinton by one percentage point in the key swing state of Pennsylvania.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/02/outlier-or-harbinger-pennsylvania-poll-shows-trump-leads-by-one-percent/
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Oh my word - this is Peter Kadzik - again. The lawyer Podesta recommended for 'keeping him out of jail'

Paul Joseph Watson
    Head of DOJ investigation into Huma's emails gives Podesta a heads up on Hillary email hearing. #PodestaEmails26 https://t.co/iKuWS1IxJs https://t.co/rG7FtYCqrc

Edit

@PrisonPlanet And his son asked for a job with the Clinton campaign! https://t.co/5SjaO3zKIE
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Wikileaks
    DoJ Assistant Attorney Peter Kadzik outed as a mole for Hillary Clinton campaign https://t.co/MNHzJ310Nl https://t.co/uTQF6baWBC

If that's genuine, she's the proverbial cooked bread.
    It's now DoJ vs FBI, for the five days running up to the election.

Trump's value at 3.6 now.
This discussion has been closed.