Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Brexit’s victory was miniscule and a swing of just 1.85% would

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

LA Times has Trump 3 % up on Mrs Clinton. I'd guess that there's a hefty shy Trump element. Hillary's in serious trouble.

I'm not sure what the polls tell us now about Hillary anymore. The MSM war on Trump is eclipsing Brexit snobbery. And it's not landing much, as those who already think they're biased just see more evidence of it.

Meanwhile, in the real world, 538 (no doubt with biased mathematics) is now giving Clinton an 82% chance of winning, with Arizona about to flip. That would be the icing on the cake.
    That would be the same Nate Silver who said Remain would win EU ref. At the moment Clinton probably has the edge but there is still a month of the campaign to go
    Silver doesn't know much about UK elections, but in the last 2 presidential elections he has predicted 99 out of 100 state results correctly. I have more faith in his model to predict this election than what's appearing on Plato's Twitter timeline.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    PlatoSaid said:

LA Times has Trump 3 % up on Mrs Clinton. I'd guess that there's a hefty shy Trump element. Hillary's in serious trouble.

I get all the liberal huffing about Trump - but they've been doing 1000 variations of it for months.

Professionally speaking, I think they're all wrong. I worked in sales offices in the late 90s where male colleagues talked like this and down the pub, and sports clubs.

It's Sex in the City for women who do the same, and pretend not to when not together and tiddled.

The whole liberal tutting puritanism isn't convincing me one iota. If people like me aren't thinking WTF HOW AWFUL - this is going to result in more shy Trumpers in the polls.

I'm not sure what the polls tell us now about Hillary anymore. The MSM war on Trump is eclipsing Brexit snobbery. And it's not landing much, as those who already think they're biased just see more evidence of it.

Vulgar folk use vulgar bragging hyperbole - shocker.
    Why am I not remotely surprised that you do not find Trump's behaviour awful?

Dear oh dear Plato and DiCanio
  • Options

FPT

Sean_F said:

Actually, I think it 's driven by the reason that Robert Smithson gave - a big current account deficit. Which would be case inside or outside the EU. Brexit simply brought it to a head.

Indeed.

And its better that we deal with the fundamental imbalances with the UK economy now that to continue to pretend that they don't exist.

Anyone who wants a higher sterling exchange rate should look to make their own contribution to making that happen by:

1) Creating more wealth
    2) Living within their means
    3) Increasing their savings ratio
    The worrying thing to me is that HMG still seem to be ignoring that current account deficit. There seems to be no acknowledgement that it exists, let alone a plan to deal with it.
    We live in a "because I'm worth it" society.

And governments have encouraged it to win popularity.

Consequences now include a trillion pound increase in government debt and a current account deficit of nearly £300bn over the last three years:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,455
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Meanwhile, in the real world, 538 (no doubt with biased mathematics) is now giving Clinton an 82% chance of winning, with Arizona about to flip. That would be the icing on the cake.
    That would be the same Nate Silver who said Remain would win EU ref. At the moment Clinton probably has the edge but there is still a month of the campaign to go
    Trump has lost.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited October 2016

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Silver doesn't know much about UK elections, but in the last 2 presidential elections he has predicted 99 out of 100 state results correctly. I have more faith in his model to predict this election than what's appearing on Plato's Twitter timeline.
    One thing that should be pointed out these days Silver doesn't actually do much analysis on a day to day, and 538 big money comes from sports stuff. Not to say "he" (the 538 team) is going to get this wrong, but he no longer personally spend his life dedicated to modelling politics and it is a small part of his teams output.

Given this, it doesn't surprise me he got 2 x UK GE wrong, Brexit wrong and Trump nomination wrong...and going forward I would think it is more and more likely he is wrong on things.

One of the most useful thing about 538 is the ratings of the various pollsters, as in the US they go from fairly good to absolute joke.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,160

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Trump has lost.
    Not yet. Clinton has gone all in with a strong hand, but Trump still has cards to play.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Trump has lost.
    Not with a month still to go
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    T
  • Options

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Silver also got the last midterms wrong and Trump's supporters bear more resemblance to the voters who won it for Brexit than those who voted for McCain and Romney
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Anyone else think Trump won't necessarily be damaged by the last 24 hours?

It's worth remembering that Bill Clinton's approval rating were boosted by the Lewinsky affair. Sex sells.
    Meanwhile back with the demographics - married women will further flood to Clinton. Another demographic gone. Trump has only got angry, male, middle age sales reps who like sexual bragging about harassment, left.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

I get all the liberal huffing about Trump - but they've been doing 1000 variations of it for months.

Professionally speaking, I think they're all wrong. I worked in sales offices in the late 90s where male colleagues talked like this and down the pub, and sports clubs.

It's Sex in the City for women who do the same, and pretend not to when not together and tiddled.

The whole liberal tutting puritanism isn't convincing me one iota. If people like me aren't thinking WTF HOW AWFUL - this is going to result in more shy Trumpers in the polls.

Italians laugh at the hypocritical prudishness of the yank media, luckily the Americans now do likewise. Ask your Tuscan neighbours what they think of Trump's decade old banter.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

AndyJS said:

It's worth remembering that Bill Clinton's approval rating were boosted by the Lewinsky affair. Sex sells.
    Consensual sex maybe, but behaving like Jimmy Saville?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    I did some modelling , remain was almost certain 1 month out by the polls
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Trump has lost.
    Not with a month still to go
    Folks are already voting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Silver also got the last midterms wrong and Trump's supporters bear more resemblance to the voters who won it for Brexit than those who voted for McCain and Romney
    There just aren't enough of them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oh FFS, not this Brexit/Trump nonsense still. WWC types are not the swing voters in most of the states that matter.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pile your money on Trump then.

Or are you expecting for it to go longer?
  • Options
    tyson said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Actually, I think it 's driven by the reason that Robert Smithson gave - a big current account deficit. Which would be case inside or outside the EU. Brexit simply brought it to a head.

Indeed.

And its better that we deal with the fundamental imbalances with the UK economy now that to continue to pretend that they don't exist.

Anyone who wants a higher sterling exchange rate should look to make their own contribution to making that happen by:

1) Creating more wealth
    The worrying thing to me is that HMG still seem to be ignoring that current account deficit. There seems to be no acknowledgement that it exists, let alone a plan to deal with it.
    The more worrying thing is absolutely all Sterling ideologues ignore everyone ranging from business, through to national governments, economists, academics, global institutions that not joining the Euro will severely damage our economy. A current account deficit will be the least of our worries as our tax intake drops and the health and social care demands of an elderly and ailing population inexorably rise.
    Fixed it for you.
    tyson said:

FPT

Sean_F said:

Indeed.

1) Creating more wealth
    The more worrying thing is absolutely all EU sceptic ideologues ignore everyone ranging from business, through to national governments, economists, academics, global institutions that leaving the ERM will severely damage our economy. A current account deficit will be the least of our worries as our tax intake drops and the health and social care demands of an elderly and ailing population inexorably rise.
    Have the second for free.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT
    HYUFD said:
    I've actually just had a look at the polling. ( http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/The-New-Blueprint-Full-data-tables-Sept-2016.pdf ) It's an Ashcroft special, on a scale of 0-10 (!) they had to rate Controlling immigration vs Access to the free market with 10 being "Being able to control immigration at all costs" and 0 being "Securing Access to the EU single market"

To get the figures shown in the tweet he's group 6-10 as Immigration and 0-4 as Single Market.

They also provide breakdowns of 8-10, 4-7, 0-3 which makes only UKIP and Cons prioritise Immigration over Single market. That's the opposite of clear.

The tweeted 6-10/0-4 bucketing is also completely at odds with the earlier questions which asked people to rate importance of various post Brexit issues. Only 18% rated Controlling immigration as the top issue.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,010
    edited October 2016

AndyJS said:

Consensual sex maybe, but behaving like Jimmy Saville?
    That's bordering on libelous, surely? :o
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sahil Kapur
    Trump tells WSJ there's "zero chance" he'll quit and he's getting "unbelievable" support.

https://t.co/mmfusecqgW https://t.co/k0pf869wS1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Genuine question. Have you seen the demographic breakdown of Trump voters during the primary season? They were indistinguishable from normal Republican primary voters, maybe skewing a little richer than average.
  • Options

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Italians laugh at the hypocritical prudishness of the yank media, luckily the Americans now do likewise. Ask your Tuscan neighbours what they think of Trump's decade old banter.
    I don't think the Italians are the best guide on this, after all they repeatedly voted for Berlusconi, a sleazebag of utterly grotesque proportions.

• Options
    Medical examinations suggest Steven Woolfe has bruising on his face not consistent with just a fall or seizure, a spokesman for the UKIP MEP has said

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37597266
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Genuine question. Have you seen the demographic breakdown of Trump voters during the primary season? They were indistinguishable from normal Republican primary voters, maybe skewing a little richer than average.
    I would think that the typical primary voter is not representative. They're by definition more political engaged than average. If Trump wins the popular vote it will be thanks to people who have never voted in a primary in their lives.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

Remain supporters still claiming it was close?

Granted, it was a shock win. It went against every political party in the UK (except for UKIP and the DUP), against the main broadcaster, against the civil service, and against the entire metropolitan elite. The shock tactics of the losing side were unbelievable--fortunately they weren't believed.

Remain even had the 'good fortune' to be on the right end of the only black swan event of the campaign--the assassination of Jo Cox. (For an arithmetic assessment of the significance of the that, see Anthony Wells. He reckons the margin went from down from approx 12 to about 4%).

Without the emphatic support of the leading politian of his age, Cameron, the margin would have been enormous.

Sure, the end result was mathematically close. But to confuse that with enthusiasm for the EU being on a knife-edge in the UK is disingenuous.

There should have been a hurdle of at least 55% for something that risks significantly trashing our future.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I did some modelling ,

Can we see the photos? For those pbCOMers who don't know young Pulps is quite a dashing looking chap....

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PlatoSaid said:

I really couldn't give a stuff about the US elections, both candidates seem absolutely ghastly to me and I cannot understand how a great nation could end up with those two competing for the top job. My issue here is the idea that only men use coarse, and worse speech, when together.

Some years ago I was on a course in London and there were five of us (four ladies, each from a different firm, and me) staying at the same hotel. Naturally in the evening we went out for a curry and drinkies. It became clear that the ladies were inhibited by a man amongst them but rather than telling me to piss off they made the remarkable, for me, decision to make me an honorary girlie for the evening. They then felt free to speak frankly amongst themselves, to say the things they wanted to say.

At that point I was in my late forties, ex-army, married, been around the block a few times and thought I understood the world reasonably well. To say I was shocked would be a massive understatement. The topics those four reasonably young, professional, ladies talked about, and the clinical detail they went into left me speechless. I had not, and still haven't heard the equivalent in any male gathering - not at a rugby club dinner, in an army barracks, or a boys night out in a Macao brothel, nowhere.

Ladies have their own style with such matters and it certainly isn't worse than men's.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But which polls ?

The 'gold standard' phone polls which showed big Remain leads or the worthless internet polls which showed it was close ?

It is clear though the Leave won the campaign or more perhaps more accurately that Remain lost it.

Though I seem to recall being told here that as soon as the local elections were finished the party establishments were going to destroy the Leave campaign with their professional operations.

But then we were also told here that Leave had to be 7% ahead in the final polls to be equal in the actual votes.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Oh FFS, not this Brexit/Trump nonsense still. WWC types are not the swing voters in most of the states that matter.
    :+1::+1:
  • Options

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

I would think that the typical primary voter is not representative. They're by definition more political engaged than average. If Trump wins the popular vote it will be thanks to people who have never voted in a primary in their lives.
    The narrative of the angry white non-college Trumper started in the Primaries - despite the demographic evidence to the contrary.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

The narrative of the angry white non-college Trumper started in the Primaries - despite the demographic evidence to the contrary.
    The evidence doesn't necessarily contradict the narrative. Angry white non-college Trumpers could have been enthused but not active voters during the primaries. In other words, Trump's performance in the primaries could have underestimated his true level of support.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

:+1::+1:
    Exactly. College educated white suburban women are.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Granted, it was a shock win. It went against every political party in the UK (except for UKIP and the DUP), against the main broadcaster, against the civil service, and against the entire metropolitan elite. The shock tactics of the losing side were unbelievable--fortunately they weren't believed.

Remain even had the 'good fortune' to be on the right end of the only black swan event of the campaign--the assassination of Jo Cox. (For an arithmetic assessment of the significance of the that, see Anthony Wells. He reckons the margin went from down from approx 12 to about 4%).

Without the emphatic support of the leading politian of his age, Cameron, the margin would have been enormous.

Sure, the end result was mathematically close. But to confuse that with enthusiasm for the EU being on a knife-edge in the UK is disingenuous.

There should have been a hurdle of at least 55% for something that risks significantly trashing our future.
    If there's a referendum to rejoin the EU in 2035 you can ask for a hurdle of at least 55%.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But which polls ?

The 'gold standard' phone polls which showed big Remain leads or the worthless internet polls which showed it was close ?

It is clear though the Leave won the campaign or more perhaps more accurately that Remain lost it.

Though I seem to recall being told here that as soon as the local elections were finished the party establishments were going to destroy the Leave campaign with their professional operations.

But then we were also told here that Leave had to be 7% ahead in the final polls to be equal in the actual votes.
    All of them
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

The evidence doesn't necessarily contradict the narrative. Angry white non-college Trumpers could have been enthused but not active voters during the primaries. In other words, Trump's performance in the primaries could have underestimated his true level of support.
    No, we were told it was they who were voting for Trump, diving the surge in voting numbers. It is a tenacious myth that has survived facts.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    The referendum result was clear. There were more votes for leave than remain.

Thats clear.

• Options

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Trump has lost.
    Not yet. Clinton has gone all in with a strong hand, but Trump still has cards to play.
    One of those cards being how Hillary was mad at the women who tried to ruin her marriage? Trump is the joker in the deck.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited October 2016
    tyson said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

I don't think the Italians are the best guide on this, after all they repeatedly voted for Berlusconi, a sleazebag of utterly grotesque proportions.

Tyson's europhile mask slips.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

IanB2 said:

If there's a referendum to rejoin the EU in 2035 you can ask for a hurdle of at least 55%.
    There will not be one..we would not be allowed back.
  • Options
    1.1101... Probably parity at the airports now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Thats clear.

You don't see any distinction between a 99-1 and 51-49 result?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But which polls ?

All of them
    Do you have a list of what your model predicted by date and a comparison with the corresponding betting odds ?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    PlatoSaid said:

Trump tells WSJ there's "zero chance" he'll quit and he's getting "unbelievable" support.

Any support for him at this stage certainly seems pretty unbelievable.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    IanB2 said:

Why so low? Surely, it should be at least 90%?
  • Options
    Does anyone really give a toss about the England football team anymore ?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Thats clear.

The system is clear. simple majority. I didn't hear Remainers whinging about it until they lost.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

I did some modelling ,

Can we see the photos? For those pbCOMers who don't know young Pulps is quite a dashing looking chap....

Lol probability models ..
    Prefer to be on the other end of the camera for that sort of thing. Hopefully snap some turtles tomorrow...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Pulpstar said:

It's about that after charges at the hole in the wall santander in majorca
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Well, Parliament could have voted for that, if they wanted to. They didn't. They did, if memory serves, on the initial Scottish devolution vote back in the seventies but not any subsequent referendum. Blame Parliament. (perhaps Cameron and co thought they could not lose).
  • Options
    Alistair said:

LA Times polling is either going to go down as a total laughing stock just as Angus Reid or Ashcroft or going to show all the rest up. I am going to go with the former rather than the later.
    The main non-demographic weighting the LA Times poll uses is recalled 2012 presidential vote.

America has the habit of too many people 'remembering' voting for the winner. So the poll is down weighting Democratic voters too heavily.
    If voters are saying they voted for Obama when they voted for Romney and now saying they will vote for Trump, shouldn't that downweighting of people who are misremembering voting for Obama make for a more accurate poll? Elaborate please.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well, Parliament could have voted for that, if they wanted to. They didn't. They did, if memory serves, on the initial Scottish devolution vote back in the seventies but not any subsequent referendum. Blame Parliament. (perhaps Cameron and co thought they could not lose).
    Parliament could also have voted to make the result binding, but they didn't, and it isn't.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Parliament could also have voted to make the result binding, but they didn't, and it isn't.
    The government effectively made it binding with what they said in that official pamphlet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Daily record found airports with less than a euro to the pound
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Thats clear.

The system is clear. simple majority. I didn't hear Remainers whinging about it until they lost.
    There's no doubt Remain lost, but the closeness of the result is a mandate for a soft brexit (EEA), not a hard one.
  • Options
    If Trump fights the election and loses he will also lose a fortune. If he pulls out now he will make a mint. Discuss.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Oh but we would - with membership of the Euro and Schengen and with a massive increase in financial contributions.

And the EU nationalists and Corporate Eurofascists would be all for it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

The government effectively made it binding with what they said in that official pamphlet.
    If we're going by what the pamphlet said then people voted against:

• we will not join the euro
    • we will keep our own border controls
    • the UK will not be part of further European political integration
    • there will be tough new restrictions on accessto our welfare system for new EU migrants
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

There's no doubt Remain lost, but the closeness of the result is a mandate for a soft brexit (EEA), not a hard one.

I don't recall that option on my ballot paper.
  • Options
    I am getting so old. I have not heard of two of those starters. Who are Bertrand and Lindgard?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

Not my problem, old chap. If HMG says it is going to do something and then does it there is no point in me getting worked up about it. I can vote against them at the next GE, no more. I was merely replying to Mr. B2's point, nothing more.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited October 2016

I am getting so old. I have not heard of two of those starters. Who are Bertrand and Lindgard?
    Bertrand (left back for Southampton) has played a number of times for England. Lindgard is Man Utd midfielder of which a lot was hoped early on, but has struggled for consistency, is making his debut.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

It was actually an amendment that at least 40% of the Scottish electorate (based on out of date registers) should vote for devolution for it to proceed.
    Incidentally the '79 Devo vote was 51.62% Yes, 48.38% No, v. close to the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

LA Times polling is either going to go down as a total laughing stock just as Angus Reid or Ashcroft or going to show all the rest up. I am going to go with the former rather than the later.
    The main non-demographic weighting the LA Times poll uses is recalled 2012 presidential vote.

America has the habit of too many people 'remembering' voting for the winner. So the poll is down weighting Democratic voters too heavily.
    If voters are saying they voted for Obama when they voted for Romney and now saying they will vote for Trump, shouldn't that downweighting of people who are misremembering voting for Obama make for a more accurate poll? Elaborate please.
    Imagine the hypothetical

Of 100 people:
    51 people voted for Obama
    49 people voted for Romney

However when asked 4 years later

56 people say they voted for Obama
    44 People say they voted for Romney

5 Romney voters suffered false recollection.

So those 56 people will be mapped to 51 and those 44 will be mapped to 49

If those 100 people then retain the same vote pattern from 2012 to now then when asked

51 People say they will vote for Hilary
    49 people say they will vote Trump

That 51 gets weighted to 46.44
    The 49 gets weighted to 54.56

A 2 point Dem leads turns into an 8 point Republican lead.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Thats clear.

Brexit doesn't equal Trump. But, there is a mood to kick the Establishment in most Western democracies, and Clinto is the Establishment candidate.

Trump is not far behind in the polls and leads in a few (like Leave); and the mainstream view is that Trump is a joke (like Leave) and Clinton is a shoe-in (like Remain). Do I think Trump will win? Probably not. Would I be surprised if he won? No.
  • Options

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

If we're going by what the pamphlet said then people voted against:

• we will not join the euro
    • we will keep our own border controls
    • the UK will not be part of further European political integration
    • there will be tough new restrictions on accessto our welfare system for new EU migrants
    Absurd. I take it we also voted against the government implementing the decision of the people then?
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

IanB2 said:

Oh but we would - with membership of the Euro and Schengen and with a massive increase in financial contributions.

And the EU nationalists and Corporate Eurofascists would be all for it.
    In truth, the EU has expanded beyond it's naturally sensible limits. The nations who joined in 2003 and onwards, should never have become EU members, but should have spent 20 years in the EEA - and the EEA rules on migration, work and residence should have remained at the 1992 status. (Must be self supporting, i.e. working, or with an offer of work).

If this were the case, there would have been no Brexit. There will be no new nations joining the EU, and the Eurozone will probably have to shrink sooner or later. And if we make a success of Brexit over the next decade, there is every possibility that other nations will agitate for genuine change to the project. The only real Euro enthusiasts left will be Brits, who are no longer members, and those paid by the commission for their labour.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @matt_itvnews: Former GOP candidate @CarlyFiorina "Today I ask Donald Trump to step aside and for the RNC to replace him with Gov. Mike Pence"
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Thats clear.

Brexit doesn't equal Trump. But, there is a mood to kick the Establishment in most Western democracies, and Clinto is the Establishment candidate.

Trump is not far behind in the polls and leads in a few (like Leave); and the mainstream view is that Trump is a joke (like Leave) and Clinton is a shoe-in (like Remain). Do I think Trump will win? Probably not. Would I be surprised if he won? No.
    I think a 'normal' anti-establishment Republican would have won (and likewise an anti-establishment Democrat would have beaten an establishment Republican).

Where Trump has gone wrong is in thinking his support in the primaries was for him personally rather than for him being the anti-establishment candidate.

Trump has subsequently 'dialled up to maximum' on being Trump while the anti-establishment aspect has been overshadowed.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It was actually an amendment that at least 40% of the Scottish electorate (based on out of date registers) should vote for devolution for it to proceed.
    Incidentally the '79 Devo vote was 51.62% Yes, 48.38% No, v. close to the Brexit vote.
    Thanks for that, Mr. Divvie. I was sure my memory wasn't too far adrift and that there was some additional clause above a straight majority built into the legislation. There was quite a lot of fuss about it at the time, if I recall.

I wonder why in all subsequent referendums no such clause has been added. I suspect that it is because the establishment were confident of getting their way.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Alistair said:

The LA Times is arguably the gold standard for US Presidential election polling.
    This is worth reading and digesting;
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-poll-faq-20161006-snap-story.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@matt_itvnews: Former GOP candidate @CarlyFiorina "Today I ask Donald Trump to step aside and for the RNC to replace him with Gov. Mike Pence"

"Have Carly4VP merchandise, will travel."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sadly I think it's too late - but any Republican win would be better than Hilary. She will be no friend of Britain I suspect, just as Obama hasn't been. We cdould do with a friendly Whitehouse during the Brexit process, if for nothing more than a feeling of confidence that it might exude.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

nunu said:

Alistair said:

Imagine the hypothetical

Of 100 people:
    51 people voted for Obama
    49 people voted for Romney

However when asked 4 years later

56 people say they voted for Obama
    44 People say they voted for Romney

5 Romney voters suffered false recollection.

So those 56 people will be mapped to 51 and those 44 will be mapped to 49

If those 100 people then retain the same vote pattern from 2012 to now then when asked

51 People say they will vote for Hilary
    49 people say they will vote Trump

That 51 gets weighted to 46.44
    The 49 gets weighted to 54.56

A 2 point Dem leads turns into an 8 point Republican lead.
    OK thanx but how come the LA tracker was so close in 2012?
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

Sadly I think it's too late - but any Republican win would be better than Hilary. She will be no friend of Britain I suspect, just as Obama hasn't been. We cdould do with a friendly Whitehouse during the Brexit process, if for nothing more than a feeling of confidence that it might exude.
    Last time there was a Republican in the White House we got dragged into a pointless war.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Plato used to be a 'Blair babe' - says it all really.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Thanks for that, Mr. Divvie. I was sure my memory wasn't too far adrift and that there was some additional clause above a straight majority built into the legislation. There was quite a lot of fuss about it at the time, if I recall.

I wonder why in all subsequent referendums no such clause has been added. I suspect that it is because the establishment were confident of getting their way.
    It was quite controversial at the time and there's a strong case to be made that it was just another factor (of several) that stored up trouble for the future.

Applied to the Brexit vote it would have course meant Remain/the status quo would have won,
    not controversial in the slightest!
  • Options

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

Last time there was a Republican in the White House we got dragged into a pointless war.
    Yes, but that was our fault, not his. We had a Government, who could have said no. The fact that they didn't, and actually lied and mislead both parliament and the public, is a matter of record now.
  • Options

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

Labour's Blair wasn't dragged into the Iraq disaster, he strenuously lobbied for it.
  • Options
    felix said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Is Trump a bit grubby and disgusting? Maybe. But was Clinton? Nixon wasn't exactly Mr Clean, Johnson was right on the edge of legality, and don't start me on Kennedy. Being a 'good guy' is no guarantee of being a good president. Ford and Carter were absolutely stand up fellas. Not great presidents.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    TonyE said:

felix said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

Is Trump a bit grubby and disgusting? Maybe. But was Clinton? Nixon wasn't exactly Mr Clean, Johnson was right on the edge of legality, and don't start me on Kennedy. Being a 'good guy' is no guarantee of being a good president. Ford and Carter were absolutely stand up fellas. Not great presidents.
    The choice is not great but that's no reason to vote for Trump.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/german-police-explosive-materials-syrian-mans-flat-151709313.html

Berlin (AFP) - Police found on Saturday several hundred grams of "explosive materials" in the east German apartment of a Syrian man suspected of planning a bomb attack, and arrested three people connected to him.

The suspect who remains at large, 22-year-old Syrian Jaber Albakr, could have had "an Islamist motive" sources close to the police told AFP.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    the entire RNC are abandoning Trump it seems.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    The LA time have completely changed their methods since 4 years ago. They only ask the same pool 4000 people throughout. If thats wrong, its wrong. It seeks to be wrong
  • Options
    felix said:

TonyE said:

felix said:

tyson said:

PlatoSaid said:

The choice is not great but that's no reason to vote for Trump.
    No, but if you could, would you vote for Clinton either? I don't think I could. She's totally corrupt, as is the Clinton foundation, and I'm not sure she hasn't had a lot of help with the FBI.
    Has to be the same law for the little people as the politicians.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed and the Trump camp today have said they will do a trade deal with the UK ahead of the EU, Hillary will put the UK at 'the back of the queue' just as Obama said he would
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Y0kel said:

Thats clear.

In Ohio, North Carolina, Iowa, Pennsylvania and Michigan wwc voters are the swing voters actually and just with Leave it is white working and lower middle-class non college graduates who are Trump's strongest supporters
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

You may be right. Could depend upon whether James Rubin moves back into Hillary's team. He is the husband of British born Christiane Amanpour. He was an Asst Secy of State for Bill.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    edited October 2016
    Zero chance I’ll quit. The support I'm getting is unbelievable."

He's at the denial stage. I think there's a decent probability Donald Trump will quit.

I also don't think his heart is in the campaign.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wrong, Trump voters were poorer and less educated than Jeb Bush, Rubio and Kasich voters
  • Options

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

You may be right. Could depend upon whether James Rubin moves back into Hillary's team. He is the husband of British born Christiane Amanpour. He was an Asst Secy of State for Bill.
    She's no supporter of Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOOM0PbNps
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FTPT

HYUFD said:
    I've actually just had a look at the polling. ( http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/The-New-Blueprint-Full-data-tables-Sept-2016.pdf ) It's an Ashcroft special, on a scale of 0-10 (!) they had to rate Controlling immigration vs Access to the free market with 10 being "Being able to control immigration at all costs" and 0 being "Securing Access to the EU single market"

To get the figures shown in the tweet he's group 6-10 as Immigration and 0-4 as Single Market.

They also provide breakdowns of 8-10, 4-7, 0-3 which makes only UKIP and Cons prioritise Immigration over Single market. That's the opposite of clear.

The tweeted 6-10/0-4 bucketing is also completely at odds with the earlier questions which asked people to rate importance of various post Brexit issues. Only 18% rated Controlling immigration as the top issue.
    Given Cons and UKIP voters combined are now more than other voters combined even on that basis controlling immigration comes above full single market access
  • Options

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

She's no supporter of Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivOOM0PbNps
    She's not only very pro EU, she's pretty obnoxious too. I remember seeing that interview - real "When did you stop beating your wife" type stuff.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The whole premise of the article is a load of hystericalist oldthinker deviationism. A vote of 52% to 48% is an overwhelming and decisive mandate for the people of this country to grasp the nettle by the horns and become a Democratic Democracy once again. The Remoaning Remainiac Oldthinkers should learn to recognise that their obscurantist reactionary pro-oblivion anti-democracy fantasies are not worth the candle they're written on.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If Don is going to step aside hopefully for Pence..
This discussion has been closed.