Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After an extraordinary political week tonight sees a bumper

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

Pong said:

chestnut said:

Pong said:

How is May going to make this work with a majority of 12?

The honeymoon will be short.

She has a dozen Labour leavers plus Carswell to help with all things European, and those Labour MPs who are sitting anywhere other than London and Uni Towns must know they are on the wrong side of their electorate on the issue of the parliament.
    But she doesn't have the patronage networks in place - the ones that have just been shattered - particularly Osborne's clique - is likely to be very bitter, whatever they say in public.
    There are 250 MPs on the backbenches who will all want pork.
    And the barrel is looking empty.
    In a few months they will be focused on the boundary review and keeping their main job - being an MP.
    The boundary review must be a high priority for the govt now, wonder if it's possible to bring it forward from 2018 given most of the work is already done? I imagine Corbyn would be of great help in getting it through, given it will mean almost all of his MPs would be up for reselection!
  • Options
    A view from an experienced diplomat.
    "Britain’s diplomats need a shot of adrenaline that only Mr Johnson, with his panache and brio, can provide at this crucial point in our history. "
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/14/boris-johnson-and-the-foreign-office-are-a-perfect-fit/
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43

hoveite said:

hoveite said:

MP_SE said:

Sick burn. And Boris such an expert on Ugandan discussions.

https://twitter.com/JoeWSJ/status/753640209460367361

Talking bollocks. The UK is regularly considered either the top or one of the top countries in the world for soft power.
    Do you really think that we have more soft power than America, Japan or South Korea?

What do we have that competes with Hollywood, Pokemon Go or AmorePacific?
    The English language, Shakespeare, Dickens, etc, etc.

BTW I've never heard of AmorePacific. Is that for young persons?
    Fair point. As was the mention of the Premier League. But really we aren't at the very top.

AmorePacific is a South Korean cosmetic company popular with young Chinese (and East Asian in general) women.
    Never heard of it - do you purchase their make-up, perchance? :)
    If you think it would suit me maybe I would. Although actually it wouldn't as I'm a pale skinned over weight middle aged white man.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Christopher Meyer ‏@SirSocks
    To French embassy tonite for national day party. Boris addresses an adoring French crowd brilliantly. A few boos from Brits. Quelle ironie!

I wonder if he spoke in French and the Brits did not understand?
    https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/753680477744091136
    If you're getting booed by a bunch of cheese-eating French bureaucrats, you know you must be doing something right.
    Yep ;-)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327

TOPPING said:

And for @Sean_F

listen to it yourselves. Very interesting.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07k08xd

Confirmation bias, bad manners, dolts refusing to engage or respond. All fine. Make your own minds up.

It's an interesting programme, however, although I appreciate that *xp*rts might have had a hand in it.

Toby Young has a column addressing this attitude.

"In general, people whom social psychologists categorize as ‘weird’ (Western, Educated, Industrialised, Rich and Democratic) are even more tribal when it comes to their attitudes and behaviour than those we think of as belonging to an inward-looking monoculture — Ukip voters, for instance. Contrary to the self-understanding of the Bremainers, being ‘outward-facing’ doesn’t mean being open to new ideas.

This unwelcome fact is an example of a well-established rule in social psychology, which is that the more knowledgeable you are, the more likely you are to suffer from ideological bias, whether left or right. That was the conclusion of Peter Hatemi and Rose McDermott in a recent paper for the Annual Review of Political Science. All the evidence suggests that those who place a high value on facts and see themselves as truth-seekers are no more likely to arrive at their political views through reason and analysis than swivel-eyed Eurosceptic loons. "

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/the-truth-about-post-truth-politics/
    Interesting; I don't doubt it. If you listen to the programme, however, they go as far as they can to avoid labelling Leavers swivel-eyed Eurosceptic loons. They conducted a social attitudes survey to understand the measured rationale of why people voted Leave. At no point did they say such reasons were less valid than europhiles; the conclusions were interesting, I would be interested to hear peoples' responses.

(apart from you @John_M)

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    hoveite said:

MP_SE said:

Talking bollocks. The UK is regularly considered either the top or one of the top countries in the world for soft power.
    Do you really think that we have more soft power than America, Japan or South Korea?

America, probably not. Japan and South Korea, for certain.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    hoveite said:

hoveite said:

hoveite said:

MP_SE said:

Fair point. As was the mention of the Premier League. But really we aren't at the very top.

AmorePacific is a South Korean cosmetic company popular with young Chinese (and East Asian in general) women.
    If you think it would suit me maybe I would. Although actually it wouldn't as I'm a pale skinned over weight middle aged white man.
    Eddie Izzard, is that you?

:lol:
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Just to confirm the local result on Tuesday in Shepton Mallet - Lib Dem 419, Con 283 - LD gain from Labour.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2016
    Sky headline is "attack" in nice.

I know sky have the reputation of never long for wrong, but I highly doubt it on something this serious.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

John_M said:

MTimT said:

chestnut said:

Polish foreign minister warns Brexit could have a domino effect

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-poland-idUKKCN0ZU2AQ?il=0

"He also criticised Germany for a post-Brexit meeting that German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier held with the European Union's six founding members. Waszczykowski said small groups should not be able to make decisions and then force these on to others.

"That's a recipe for catastrophe," he said.

He said he thought Britons had voted to leave the EU due to "thoughtless actions by the European elite who want to push through 'even more Europe'".

He said another feeling that had probably played a role in Britain's decision was "that Europe interferes in areas that should be solely controlled by the member states themselves".

The article made me want to give him honorary British citizenship. He is clearly too sensible for the EU.
    The only regret I have for Brexit is we're abandoning Poland to their fate. On the other hand, they're terrible on LGBT issues, so I can channel my inner lefty and say they deserve it.

Oh, and this:
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/753682339532836868
    He's not wrong. They have a fine line to walk - it serves them not to treat us like complete shit, but they cannot let it be seen that we are doing just fine and dandy.
    Yes a major customer dependent upon £100bn of business a year is going to get tough with us........... FFS But there is no accounting for the level of stupidity by folk that run the EU.
    There's a difference between being firm with us and being punitive. It is not to their benefit to be punitive, but it is to be firm. Some will call for the former but will be overrulled I'd think, but being firm is simply common sense. I don't know why people get so upset at the idea they will be firm. That doens't mean we cannot get a great deal, but we need to go in eyes open that they will need to to get a deal they can sell back home too, at least in perception.
    Absolutely agree. They owe us nothing. It's not even a divorce. We resigned. We're leaving a large club. They have a set of collective national interests that need to be respected and a domestic political hinterland that will drive them as much as ours drive us.

We do have leverage, but so do they. That's just the way negotiations are.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pong said:

chestnut said:

Pong said:

How is May going to make this work with a majority of 12?

The honeymoon will be short.

She has a dozen Labour leavers plus Carswell to help with all things European, and those Labour MPs who are sitting anywhere other than London and Uni Towns must know they are on the wrong side of their electorate on the issue of the parliament.
    But she doesn't have the patronage networks in place - the ones that have just been shattered - particularly Osborne's clique - is likely to be very bitter, whatever they say in public.
    There are 250 MPs on the backbenches who will all want pork.
    And the barrel is looking empty.
    In a few months they will be focused on the boundary review and keeping their main job - being an MP.
    The boundary review must be a high priority for the govt now, wonder if it's possible to bring it forward from 2018 given most of the work is already done? I imagine Corbyn would be of great help in getting it through, given it will mean almost all of his MPs would be up for reselection!
    Maoists For May!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

MTimT said:

The article made me want to give him honorary British citizenship. He is clearly too sensible for the EU.

Too sensible? I have to admit to being prejudiced against politicians from Poland's Justice and Law Party. Mr Waszczykowski was defending his party's controversial media censorship law on the grounds that it eradicated the diseases of bikers and vegetarians, which obviously are totally un-Polish
    That sounds very reasonable to me, rather like Lord Vetinari hanging mime artists upside down in pits of scorpions.
    Yes, but mime artists are a genuine public menace, not merely un-ankhmorporkian.
  • Options

Is there anyone on PB (besides RodCrosby and blackburn) who wants a Trump presidency?

Yes me. Want is not the right word. More that I regard Trump as the lesser of two evils
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43

hoveite said:

hoveite said:

hoveite said:

MP_SE said:

Eddie Izzard, is that you?

:lol:
    I'm an even more annoying and less funny version of Eddie Izzard.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

To French embassy tonite for national day party. Boris addresses an adoring French crowd brilliantly. A few boos from Brits. Quelle ironie!

By french standards of political debate I think booing is quite mild. They didn't kidnap him, or set anything on fire.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Matthew Goodwin

Launch of a British Five Star Movement? Latest e-mail from @Arron_banks to Leave.EU supporters -> https://t.co/Av8OHQRi2i

I remember Five Star. They are not worthy of a tribute act.
    System Addict
    I never can get enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voK6C8tcIBY
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016
    13th July = Rail minister Claire Perry admits she's considered quitting over Southern Rail
    14th July = The fairy godmother that is Mrs May grants her wish.
    Good riddance.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Hmm

Christopher Hope
    NEW David Cameron over-ruled civil service advice and increased pay offs to some of his spads by £280,000 taking the total bill to over £1m.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,327

By french standards of political debate I think booing is quite mild. They didn't kidnap him, or set anything on fire.
    You get worse at La Scala. Or the Cannes Film Festival.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826

13th July = Rail minister Claire Perry admits she's considered quitting over Southern Rail
    Good riddance.

:smiley:
  • Options
    John_M said:

I really hope Boris is a success but if he fail's there is nobody better to step into his shoes than one David Cameron

Yes but why would Cameron want Brexit to be a success?
    Because he loves this country. Whatever else you can say about Cameron, you cannot accuse him of a lack of patriotism.
    Apparently he always puts party before country, if you don't count those times he took options his party did not like because he thought it best for the country.
    I still think he was wrong on Brexit (ask me again in 12 months though), but I should think he is hoping Brexit is as good as it can be made, while still thinking it is not as good as Remain.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    DanSmith said:

FF43 said:

John_M said:

Not sure we have a coherent message yet, but this is the Telegraph's take on it. Looks like Brexit = CETA+. Hmm. Not convinced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/14/the-blueprint-for-brexit-how-britain-will-negotiate-out-of-the-e/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wow. David Davis seems totally unaware that negotiations require the involvement of other parties. We're not even talking about initial negotiating positions.

Almost every one of those bullet points fall apart at the first prod.

Dangerous delusions.
    His whole argument rests on how well we do at negotiating free trade agreements. If that goes well, Brexit will be a success.
    There is a sobering corrective here by Anthony Hilton in the Standard What do we have to sell following the Brexit vote? As we know, the UK is weak on manufactured goods and strong on services. Trade agreements are invariably more open to goods than services. They are also reciprocal. We open ourselves up to the other party in exchange for them doing the same for us. With these trade deals we are open where we are weak on manufactured goods, but they remain closed where we are strong on services.

Does that compensate for the Brexit crunch?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    murali_s said:

Love it - well done the Ugandans!!
    What!? You are praising a bunch of homophobes who passed a law in 2014 making homosexuality into a criminal offence (with a maximum sentence of life imprisonment).
    We (and others) stopped giving them aid because of it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope
    NEW David Cameron over-ruled civil service advice and increased pay offs to some of his spads by £280,000 taking the total bill to over £1m.

Man looks after his friends. A good and bad quality.
    Bit early to say if it is a meritorious I'd have thought - time will tell if they are indeed worthy of the positions, and we can all hope they will be, but the fresh faces or massively promoted haven't had the opportunity to prove or disprove such a claim.
  • Options
    Newsnight Nick "Mrs May told Osborne he had over promised and under delivered"!!!
    "Not done enough to champion deep economic reform".
  • Options
    Sam Cam in a 17m mansion... AND the Cameron's are now free to concentrate of those Apprenticships at Sports Direct for the kids... ;)
  • Options
    John_M said:

MP_SE said:

You're in danger of looking like you really care about the opinion of a Ugandan government spokesman.
    I would concede that I'd be terrified at the prospect of playing them at football.
    I thought bozza was something of an expert on Ugandan Constitutional Matters?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Pulpstar said:

To be honest I'd be more worried about their record on gay rights, than anything Boris has said about them...
    Maybe this is one time the Law of Unintended Consequences will work in our favour.

If Mr Johnson goes on stirring things up like this, the disorientated CS in the FCO are going to have plenty to worry about without giving a thought to the EU.
    Should give davis plenty of cover to get on with it while the press are looking the other way.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Newsnight Nick "Mrs May told Osborne he had over promised and under delivered"!!!

She's not wrong.
  • Options

So, not only did she kick his arse out of government and sent him skulking out the back door, she also sent him away with a flea in his ear!

What a woman! :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sam Cam in a 17m mansion... AND the Cameron's are now free to concentrate of those Apprenticships at Sports Direct for the kids... ;)
    That was funny from the campaign ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Disraeli said:

murali_s said:

What!? You are praising a bunch of homophobes who passed a law in 2014 making homosexuality into a criminal offence (with a maximum sentence of life imprisonment).
    Let us not forget that Uganda has a shocking human rights record and is also one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

The illiberal left find friends in strange places.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Good riddance.

Thankfully earlier in the year, I already visited all the Southern stations out to Gatwick that were recently added to the London Oystercard network, as well as riding the entire Southern network outside London. Last bit I did was Barnham to Havant, Bedhampton to Cosham and Fareham to St Denys (Southampton).
  • Options
    Sky - People dead in nice.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Sky claiming that dozens have been killed according to a source in Nice.
  • Options
    French TV reports on Twitter are bleak regarding the Nice incident, sorry to say.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Alex Andreou
    Well, this is rather depressing.

More people fancy May over Corbyn as PM ***even if you excluded Tory voters***.

https://t.co/h4eAk0abzv
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Boris been in the job one day & looks like he is going to have to step up.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Also, for the person who mentioned Pokemon Go. It was lifted from a game developed in Spain (Invizimals, by Novarama). Then brought to mobile as a blank canvas by Niantic in San Francisco, who then approached the Pokemon company about a mobile game using Pokemon with their concept. It took 2 years for them to convince Nintendo (33.3% shareholder in the Pokemon company and ultimate licence controller for the Pokemon brand) that mobile gaming was the future and a further 18 months to develop the game. While Pokemon is successful in its own right, it has taken a Spanish idea with an American developer to bring it into the modern era. Japan has lent the branding and done very little else.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil ‏@afneil
    Nice incident now very serious -- reports of fatalities.
  • Options
    glw said:

She's not wrong.
    No she isn't. I suspect she will get around it by under promising, since apparently austerity is dead.
  • Options
    £1m amongst (I guess) 100 is £10k each... Not much.

PlatoSaid said:
    Hmm
    Christopher Hope
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Twitter reporting 50 dead in Nice.

Seems hard to believe but.... eeeesh.

That dosent sound nice at all.
  • Options

Is there anyone on PB (besides RodCrosby and blackburn) who wants a Trump presidency?

Sunil J. Prasannan is calling for a complete and total shut-down of AV threads entering PB.com, until our forum's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on!

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I think I'd go for Trump. If only to know - just how BAD would he be? Trump is the embodiment of the big red DO NOT PRESS!! button. I can never resist them...

Ah, so that's why you voted Leave.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    French TV reports are very confused. 20 dead is the consensus
  • Options
    BBC Seem to be confirming the Pence story. Scooped the 1.08 anyway - looks done and done to me.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

I saw a horrific picture of what looked like tons of bodies laying on the ground. Not clear if they were dead or injured.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Nice looks grim.

I see Yvette Cooper shares my belief that we are getting a General Election sooner rather than later:

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/yvette-cooper-both-eagle-and-smith-could-be-leader-but-only-one-should-go-for-it/
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

murali_s said:

There are 13 countries where homosexuality carries the death sentence. Another 65 or so where its illegal. Iran is odd. It has the death penalty but in practice encourages gay people to have HT/SRS.

I always liked William Gibson's quote: "The future is already here. It's just not evenly distributed."
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So, not only did she kick his arse out of government and sent him skulking out the back door, she also sent him away with a flea in his ear!
    What a woman! :smiley:
    I am warming to her... slowly.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Matthew Goodwin

Launch of a British Five Star Movement? Latest e-mail from @Arron_banks to Leave.EU supporters -> https://t.co/Av8OHQRi2i

System Addict
    I never can get enough

Great band :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.
    It's a bit more complicated than that
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Matthew Goodwin

System Addict
    I never can get enough

Great band :)
    They were local-ish to me as well - Romford!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.
    I'll bet it is. Hope its not taxpayers money for the extra.
  • Options
    just seen the pictures....it's an HGV that has ploughed into the crowd.
  • Options

Good riddance.

Thankfully earlier in the year, I already visited all the Southern stations out to Gatwick that were recently added to the London Oystercard network, as well as riding the entire Southern network outside London. Last bit I did was Barnham to Havant, Bedhampton to Cosham and Fareham to St Denys (Southampton).
    As our rail expert, what is the reason that the Southampton St Mary's platform area is not used to move football supporters in and out on match days?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.
    6 months notice!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

Disraeli said:

murali_s said:

There are 13 countries where homosexuality carries the death sentence. Another 65 or so where its illegal. Iran is odd. It has the death penalty but in practice encourages gay people to have HT/SRS.

I always liked William Gibson's quote: "The future is already here. It's just not evenly distributed."
    "BME cultures are, for the most part, more homophobic and misogynist than 'Evil Whitey' culture" - discuss :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Rachel Sylvester has kept back a juicy Leadsom morsel:

"As an employer we're not - let's face it - most of us don't employ men as nannies, most of us don't. Now you can call that sexist, I call that cautious and very sensible when you look at the stats. Your odds are stacked against you if you employ a man. We know paedophiles are attracted to working with children. I'm sorry but they're the facts."
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/753706058288332801
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Picture on Al Jazeera shows 8-10 bodies lying on the road.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.
    It is taxpayers' money, but it is what is due per their contracts.

Someone in the new government decided to be shitty and open themselves to lots of compensation payments
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

"As an employer we're not - let's face it - most of us don't employ men as nannies, most of us don't. Now you can call that sexist, I call that cautious and very sensible when you look at the stats. Your odds are stacked against you if you employ a man. We know paedophiles are attracted to working with children. I'm sorry but they're the facts."

I'm a man but she's spot on. Don't see any issue, except maybe offending some overly sensitive metrosexuals.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sky news
    30 dead at least. Stating "after a truck drove into a crowd of people"

May well be a attack but Keep in mind that we here have had incidents here where people have heart attack lost control and drove through / into crowds
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Exterminate these ISIS cunts.

Much more of this sort of thing and Madame Guillotine will be making a comeback.
  • Options
    For those of you on here who think UKIP have any future please note that they couldn't even field a candidate in the Cornwall by-election they were defending.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.
    Wouldn't we all do the same for our staff, if they were being laid off because we had quit?

Cameron has refused his pension, so he deserves some credit here to be fair.
  • Options

Nice looks grim.

I see Yvette Cooper shares my belief that we are getting a General Election sooner rather than later:

http://labourlist.org/2016/07/yvette-cooper-both-eagle-and-smith-could-be-leader-but-only-one-should-go-for-it/

The kind of political year we've had so far really needs to be capped off with a general election this autumn surely?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The terrifying thing is that this is just so easy. A lorry. A crowd. A jihadist driver. Fifty dead. Simple as fuck.

How do you stop madness like that?
    Is it confirmed as a jihadist?

And it doesn't seem like there is a way to stop lone wolf or group extremists. And no way to stop their spread. You stamp them down, they survive and then thrive on some new piece of dirt. A tiny tiny minority support even their purported aims, but it's still millions. About the best that can be done is stamp down as hard as you can and limit the damage for a time.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sky news

May well be a attack but Keep in mind that we here have had incidents here where people have heart attack lost control and drove through / into crowds

However the media have been using the term attack from the get go, where as with like the bin lorry there was a lot to of caution about what had happened.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

The terrifying thing is that this is just so easy. A lorry. A crowd. A jihadist driver. Fifty dead. Simple as fuck.

You can't. The attacker always has the advantage.

Let's wait for more solid reportage. It could have been an accident.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nice looks grim.

The kind of political year we've had so far really needs to be capped off with a general election this autumn surely?
    My impression was the Tories themselves really don't feel like one, can any Tories say if that's the case in their circles?
  • Options
    Pauly said:

I'm a man but she's spot on. Don't see any issue, except maybe offending some overly sensitive metrosexuals.
    I take it you wouldn't employ a Muslim as an airline pilot either?
  • Options

For those of you on here who think UKIP have any future please note that they couldn't even field a candidate in the Cornwall by-election they were defending.

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this but social conservative policies only work if enacted at the national level - it's why so many far-leftists seek to destroy the nation-state to banish it to history irreversibly. Socially liberal policies are imposed on councils whether UKIP are in or not
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Tune in to Radio 4 tomorrow morning. :)

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964

Moses_ said:

Sky news

However the media have been using the term attack from the get go, where as with like the bin lorry there was a lot to of caution about what had happened.
    The pictures show the front windscreen full of bullet holes. Looks like the French police were certainly treating it as an attack. Very sad. :(
  • Options

Pauly said:

I take it you wouldn't employ a Muslim as an airline pilot either?
    No because Muslims weren't evolutionary designed to blow up planes, whereas women are purpose built for the scenario she describes through evolution. It's just science.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.

Someone in the new government decided to be shitty and open themselves to lots of compensation payments
    Why would the civil service recommend £280k then ?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Apparently it's all over IS twitter accounts.

Pictures of crowds running give some credence to the report of gunfire as well?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2016

Moses_ said:

Sky news

I fear you may well be proved correct. RT reporting a possible firefight between driver and security forces ( please note these reports unconfirmed)

Note some pictures are very distressing so have not posted the link.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    The pictures show the windscreen riddled with bullets concentrated on the passenger side.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nice looks grim.

My impression was the Tories themselves really don't feel like one, can any Tories say if that's the case in their circles?
    Lat's not forget all the activists will be worn out after the referendum.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

Jesus Christ. Just heard the news.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.

I think the Civil Service suggested £750k and it was actually £1m.

But I'll not post any more on this subject for obvious reasons
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    While we wait to hear what's happening in France (those poor people :( ), dug up a soft power index. UK 2nd behind US:

http://softpower30.portland-communications.com/ranking/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.

I imagine the contracts contain mandatory and discretionary elements. The 280k is probably the bare minimum.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nice looks grim.

Lat's not forget all the activists will be worn out after the referendum.
    And think of the poor electoral service officers.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    That street has a bigger police presence than most at all times.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Awful. The French have to get a grip on terror.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

Only by utter brutality and ruthlessness - ie the sort of thing Kim Il Jong would do to the person responsibles entire extended family and probably whole town if someone tried it on.

There was a dark ages european king who found that executing attacking vikings didnt put them off their attacks, so he started executing them by having his expert farriers skin them alive which apparently hurt rather a lot and made them decide to pillage elsewhere.

I'm not entirely convinced that the editorial board of The Guardian would entirely approve of such methods though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Reports of an "exchange" of gunfire. Not just cops shooting.

If that is the case this is clearly a terror attack.

To be fair even one sided gunfire (from the Police) would probably give rise to "reports" of 'exchanges' of gunfire.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nice looks grim.

The public don't want one
  • Options
    alex. said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Christopher Hope

Ugh.

I imagine the contracts contain mandatory and discretionary elements. The 280k is probably the bare minimum.
    There seem to be cabinet office documents with the media.

https://twitter.com/Edsbrown/status/753679732919660546
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    John_M said:

While we wait to hear what's happening in France (those poor people :( ), dug up a soft power index. UK 2nd behind US:

http://softpower30.portland-communications.com/ranking/

In what universe does Canada have more soft power than France?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Prefet says 30 dead and hundreds injured.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

I think I'd go for Trump. If only to know - just how BAD would he be? Trump is the embodiment of the big red DO NOT PRESS!! button. I can never resist them...

Ah, so that's why you voted Leave.
    Him and millions like him sadly. We'll be picking up the pieces of the red button pressers for fucking years.
This discussion has been closed.