Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new cabinet so far, the night and day of the

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    Still no Soubry!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,583
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 2m2 minutes ago
    Based on new Labour leadership rules, I currently expect reduced victory for Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

MP_SE said:

I wish Priti got Chief Whip.

Some of you Tories are a bit weird to say the least.

@GIN1138 Has there ever been a match up of two more unlikeable people?

@numbertwelve Yeah, IDS could go there. I doubt he'll be Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
    "You Tories"

How about "you Labour"? You have a weird leadership problem :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,583

Still no Soubry!

Cabinet complete now I think, except Leader of House.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

The comments today by the German and French foreign ministers shows they're seriously frit about the EU breaking up.

Are the Cabinet appointments producing this reaction, or is it just other knock-on effects of the Brexit vote here?

(edited to add, good afternoon, everyone)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444

eek said:

eek said:

Jobabob said:

Is Grayling pro or anti HS2 do we know?

Will May instruct him to prioritise the northern HS3 instead of the London orientated HS2?

Grayling's first job should be stripping Southern and Southeastern of their rail franchises.
    Are you sure that's the end-game the government want?
    Why not just nationalise all commuter rail to TfL with Sadiq ultimately responsible as mayor? Has worked very well where done so far (WAGN, Romford line etc). Makes no sense fragmenting a commuter network. Clear lines of responsibility etc etc.
    Er, we had something of that kind with BR:
    Inter-City
    Network South-East
    All other provincial lines.

If I use a train, I'm paying my fare to a nationalised railway. Deutsche Bahn owns Arriva Trains Wales and at least one other franchise.

By returning expired franchises to an integrated government-owned body, the system could slowly be reunified and any profits could go to the Treasury, not the German govt.(!)
    Deutsche Bahn also own Great Central, Chiltern and I believe Northern Rail....
    By contrast, GoVia have a HUGE empire covering London Midland, Southern, Southeastern, Gatwick Express, Great Northern and Thameslink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govia
    Deutsche / Arriva's full list is

Alliance Rail Holdings
    Arriva TrainCare (formerly LNWR)
    Arriva Trains Wales
    Chiltern Railways
    CrossCountry
    Grand Central
    London Overground Rail Operations (50/50 joint venture with MTR Corporation)
    Northern
    Tyne & Wear Metro
    Arriva Rail London take full control of London Overground operations from November 2016.[4]
    Ooops, didn't know they were so big. And didn't know they were getting London Overground either.
    Keolis (SNCF) own 35% of Govia. And run the DLR.
    Abellio (NS) run Scotrail, Greater Anglia, plus 50% of Merseyrail

So the majority of "privatised" rail operations are wholly or partially nationalised by foreign governments. Its absurd that we let the German government run our trains but ban our own government. Because governments are inefficient apparently.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,303
    Would love to see the video footage from inside the sky team car....beep beep bbeep beep beep beeeeeeeep...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. Borough, that does have a downside for the PLP, though. Corbyn, if he wins by a reduced margin, can legitimately suggest it would've been a stonking win but for the cut-off.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Still no Soubry!

I think Anna was once no.2 as Leader of the House (haven't checked) and there's still Chief Sec and DCMS to fill. So keep hope alive!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    pbr2013 said:

Sandpit said:

What is it about the Secretary of State for Health, that causes so many experienced journalists to swear live on TV?
    https://youtu.be/Pa70fCLZ4_A

http://viz.co.uk/roger-mellie-interviews-jeremy-hunt/
    Very good! Have just bookmarked Viz for holiday reading, it's blocked at 'home' in the sandpit.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

So where on earth is IDS going? Since he was reported to be going into Downing Street earlier on today?

Perhaps he was offered a job but declined? Or... IDS = DPM just to troll the whole of PB ;)
    DPM is a total non-job. The only thing is that IDS in PMQs would be car-crash TV.

@Sunil_Prasannan Brady reminds me of Nicky Morgan for some reason.
    But she doesn't have Nicky Morgan Eyes :)
  • Options

Still no Soubry!

Have I missed Chief Sec and DCMS?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    New cabinet seems very southern :-(

Where now the Northern Powerhouse?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

This is pre-Brexit thinking. There's going to be less economic activity, fewer people, less money. You just don't need as much infrastructure as you would have.

That said, how are people in Britain getting their internet of they don't have fibre? It's not still going over1890s-standard copper wire is it?

Yes it is! Fibre broadband infrastructure is mainly rolled out by private monopoly BT Openreach. In practice it means things like this - my estate was built from 2005 and is 700 mainly middle-class style homes. Openreach did their Broadband survey in 2004. According to them - and I asked them - we don't exist on their map which is why they won't upgrade our cabinet despite having done the ones on either side.

Supposedly private industry removes idiotic state monolith thinking. With BT it got worse. But despite the huge economic benefits of superfast - people can work from home more and travel less - its getting rolled out at snails pace.
    My entire town is still waiting for fibre. And it's only 60 miles outside London, hardly a remote corner of England.
    I live in a house built in 2013 in a major city. We get 1.5 to 5 meg through BT. The developers didn't bother working with any other providers to enable cable services, so we are stuck with BT. BT won't upgrade the cabinets. I live 1.5 miles from the city centre.
    I live miles outside London, in a run down house from the 1850s. My broadband works fine :)
    Stourhead ?
    NW8...

[Stourhead's Palladian not Victorian, you philistine!]
    Will it be yours though, or are you a "younger" brother or some such ;) ?
    We split the house and the shop a few centuries ago - the house went down the junior line: there was a chance to reclaim it after the Great War, but we had an attack of the vapours and let the National Trust get their grubby mitts on it :(

[But yes, I am the Prince Harry of the family :lol: ]
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    edited July 2016

GIN1138 said:

So where on earth is IDS going? Since he was reported to be going into Downing Street earlier on today?

Perhaps he was offered a job but declined? Or... IDS = DPM just to troll the whole of PB ;)
    DPM is a total non-job. The only thing is that IDS in PMQs would be car-crash TV.

Much as I'm one of his non-detractors on PB, I draw the line at IDS ever doing PMQs again, with that croaky frog voice of his. Ever.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,702
    Uh oh, Philip Hammond is in the subject header of this week's PopBitch email
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Miss Plato, only if the 0.7% is dropped, otherwise this'll harm Patel's leadership prospects enormously..

Not going to happen, 0.7% is the law and there won't be a majority to reverse it.
    JonathanD said:

Miss Plato, only if the 0.7% is dropped, otherwise this'll harm Patel's leadership prospects enormously..

Not going to happen, 0.7% is the law and there won't be a majority to reverse it.
    JonathanD said:

You dont need to repeal it. Every budget is primary legislstion so overrides it if it conflicts with it. They wont vote down their own budget.

That is why laws like that are so silly.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

pbr2013 said:

Sandpit said:

What is it about the Secretary of State for Health, that causes so many experienced journalists to swear live on TV?
    https://youtu.be/Pa70fCLZ4_A

http://viz.co.uk/roger-mellie-interviews-jeremy-hunt/
    Very good! Have just bookmarked Viz for holiday reading, it's blocked at 'home' in the sandpit.
    What don't you get a vpn so you aren't blocked from.seeing things?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    JohnO said:

Still no Soubry!

DCMS Karen Bradley

Chief Sec "attends" cabinet, not technically part of it
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Mr. Borough, that does have a downside for the PLP, though. Corbyn, if he wins by a reduced margin, can legitimately suggest it would've been a stonking win but for the cut-off.

It doesn't matter. Either he wins, or he doesn't. The margin is immaterial. If he wins, he'll be challenged again. And again. And again.
  • Options
    Hahahaha Oliver Letwin.

I think that's an even better move than Osborne.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,223
    JonathanD said:

New cabinet seems very southern :-(

Where now the Northern Powerhouse?

Greg Clark from the northeast, Fox a Scot
  • Options
    edited July 2016

GIN1138 said:

And she'll tease you
    She'll unease you
    All the better just to please you
    She's precocious, and she knows just
    What it takes to make a pro blush
    She got Greta Garbo's standoff sighs
    She's got Nicky Morgan eyes
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Still no expected opening date for the new Berlin Airport which was supposed to be opening in 2010:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport
  • Options

Hahahaha Oliver Letwin.

I think that's an even better move than Osborne.

He is so out of this world I wonder if he has realised he has been sacked yet & will he remember tomorrow or will he keep.turning up to.the office?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

JohnO said:

Still no Soubry!

DCMS Karen Bradley

Chief Sec "attends" cabinet, not technically part of it
    Thanks, ah yes,

But until Greg Hands, the Chief Sec has been a full Cabinet member since the 1970s
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Still no Soubry!

Maybe Theresa May wasn't impressed by her incessant whining about the referendum result.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

The comments today by the German and French foreign ministers shows they're seriously frit about the EU breaking up.

Are the Cabinet appointments producing this reaction, or is it just other knock-on effects of the Brexit vote here?

Good afternoon Anne.

It's the same for all of us. What was a theoretical possibility is now an accomplished fact.

Despite the fact that EU27 polls are showing a swing towards the EU, the UK has essentially parked its economic tanks on the EU's lawn. If we do very poorly then crisis averted. If we do well...it's a genuine issue for them in the medium term in terms of unity and cohesion. Hence the slightly schizophrenic mood music.
  • Options
    Mr. Bob, if he changes the MPs standing for Labour, though that won't unseat the incumbents, it'll vastly change Labour after the next election.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Are the tour de France going to stitch up team sky? They have printed the results to the media as they finished....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,286
    So, now the dust is settling, do we think that Boris and Theresa had a pact all along? Gove's backstabbing may have just been a sideshow.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,540
    edited July 2016
    Ed Miliband is upset because none of the departments have the words "Climate Change" in them.

No, really...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Hopefully that list of "attending cabinet" will have an axe taken to it
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

So, now the dust is settling, do we think that Boris and Theresa had a pact all along? Gove's backstabbing may have just been a sideshow.

QTWTAIN?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

Are the tour de France going to stitch up team sky?

Doubt it, in any case Froome would likely be back in yellow tomorrow after the time trial. They would surely be open to legal challenges, given that it was their own lack if crowd control.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Are the tour de France going to stitch up team sky? They have printed the results to the media as they finished....

Yes
  • Options
    Mr. Twelve, silliest he's looked since his tussle with a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Where are we with regards to the maximum size of the Cabinet?

With 2 new departments and only 1 being abolished, surely that limit has been exceeded...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,223
    John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

Good afternoon Anne.

It's the same for all of us. What was a theoretical possibility is now an accomplished fact.

Despite the fact that EU27 polls are showing a swing towards the EU, the UK has essentially parked its economic tanks on the EU's lawn. If we do very poorly then crisis averted. If we do well...it's a genuine issue for them in the medium term in terms of unity and cohesion. Hence the slightly schizophrenic mood music.
    Not all, Wilders still leads in the Netherlands and 5☆ in Italy and Le Pen round 1 in France against all bar Juppe
  • Options
    Justine Greening is a good choice for Ed Sec I think.

And if I'm really going to indulge in fantasy, the plan could be to overpromote Rudd (frankly making the tea would be an overpromotion, but there you go) and give her the boot at the first policy slip up. Which won't be long. She has essentially been made Minister for getting immigration down.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,702

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,033

Are the tour de France going to stitch up team sky?

He could still do it. He's under a minute behind.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    edited July 2016
    Ooh, Karen Bradley is a fellow mathematics almunus from Imperial College. Good to see some actual maths skills in the government.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,286

Interesting observation from James Forsyth: This reshuffle has institutionally weakened both the Foreign Office and the Treasury

Just had a thought: Theresa May is the first PM who both represents a change of direction and is well-prepared to hit the ground running since Thatcher. She could be quite transformative even before you consider the implementation of Brexit.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Much as I'm one of his non-detractors on PB, I draw the line at IDS ever doing PMQs again, with that croaky frog voice of his. Ever.
    One of the funnier aspects of his "quiet man" speech is that he actually LOWERS his voice as he says "and he turning up the volume!" :)
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I'm not sure.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    Jobabob said:

It doesn't matter. Either he wins, or he doesn't. The margin is immaterial. If he wins, he'll be challenged again. And again. And again.
    At what point will those in Labour who wish to be elected to government get fed up with these games?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2016

MP_SE said:

I wish Priti got Chief Whip.

Some of you Tories are a bit weird to say the least.

@GIN1138 Has there ever been a match up of two more unlikeable people?

@numbertwelve Yeah, IDS could go there. I doubt he'll be Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
    "You Tories"

How about "you Labour"? You have a weird leadership problem :)
    Right now I don't think I can really be a part of the Labour party. It's for Corbynites only these days, sadly.
  • Options

Ooh, Karen Bradley is a fellow mathematics almunus from Imperial College. Good to see some actual maths skills in the government.

Biochemistry, 1997 for me :)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    AndyJS said:

AnneJGP said:

AndyJS said:

I'm not sure.
    There was a german gov't leak that said the most likely leavers were: France, Holland, Austria, Finland and Hungary.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/683224/END-OF-THE-EU-Germany-France-Austria-Hungary-Finland-Netherlands-Europe-Brexit
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    eek said:

Infrastructure will be a massive job. The harsh reality for the right is that big infrastructure projects need state funding and drive to make them happen. The state can borrow the large amounts of cash far cheaper than private industry and can accommodate the prolonged payback period.

So what major projects would this new department need to go after?
    1. Housing. Remove all the banked land from greedy housebuilders. Remove the disincentive to councils to allow development on brownfield. Get building on a large scale
    2. Heathrow. Its in the wrong place. But there's no alternative, so get on with it already
    3. High Speed Rail - we need massive capacity increases in the medium term, so get on with it already
    4. Roads - a million and one schemes could be started tomorrow, from resurfacing to pinchpoints to bypasses to major new routes. Get on with it
    5. Energy. Hinkley Point was a bad deal and has gone cold. Build our own. And readress the tarriffs making wind and tidal hard to do - we should be leading the world developing new energy generation
    6. Fibre Broadband. Most people can't get access to it and its up to a private monopoly to provide it. Remove Openreach from the equation and build it ourselves

This is pre-Brexit thinking. There's going to be less economic activity, fewer people, less money. You just don't need as much infrastructure as you would have.

That said, how are people in Britain getting their internet of they don't have fibre? It's not still going over1890s-standard copper wire is it?
    BT are cheapskates.... what do you think...

If you are lucky you have virgin as a second option (200mb) or so but I really want to move to somewhere where B4rn.org.uk provide the service...
    I've got B4RN... 1 gigabit download and upload, 3ms ping, unlimited data all for £25 per month + VAT
This discussion has been closed.