Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new cabinet so far, the night and day of the

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

When I reported on PB yesterday that there were radical changes afoot the new May government i wasn't quite expecting this much.

MAY the force be with you ....

Do you think she's over done it?
    Nope.

I keep harping on about this but it isn't a reshuffle. It's a new administration and government.
    She's still stuck with a relatively tiny majority though. You don't think, in a year or two, her enemies will "get her"?
    I think May is like Thatcher in one sense - she believes in 'doing the right thing' - and 'bugger the consequences' - as Thatcher famously retorted when going into an EU meeting 'what does it feel like to be on your own among the 12?' 'It doesn't matter if the other 11 are wrong'....

This is a May government - and will sink - or swim, by its own lights.....
    Wasn't that quote about the Commonwealth and sanctions on South Africa?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

image This.

I don't watch GoT but from what I understand the government appears to have had its own Red Wedding!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

What job is Leadsom going to get?

Northern Ireland?

How about Treasury Chief Secretary bearing in mind her extensive finance background?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,390
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

It is clear that ridding the Tories of their perception as being from privilege, for privilege, is May's top priority. The rest almost feels secondary.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,541

Northern Ireland?

Energy seems to be the likely one.
    Will not exist by this afternoon.

The new Business, Energy and Industry Department is a possibility, if the rumours are right
    Oops!

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    They're keeping Hunt? Is that punishment for him or for the NHS?
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    felix said:

What of Grayling?

Yes, what has happened to him??
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

I'd like to see industry, energy and transport merged into a super Department for Infrastructure.

I'd like to see a MInistry for Actually Getting Things Built.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,710
    Hunt remaining Health Secretary
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    JohnO said:

Northern Ireland?

How about Treasury Chief Secretary bearing in mind her extensive finance background?
    That would be sensible. Northern Ireland would be the small p political decision.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

"We are hearing that BIS is to become the Business, Energy and Industry Department - a title which must raise questions about the future of DECC as a standalone department."

That supports a change in policy to pursue cheap energy. Good news!

• Options
    I'm warming to the new PM!

She's trimming government and clearing out old shit. I particularly think that the BoJO/Fox/Davis appointments are very shrewd and should shut down all 'but will she really' type Brexit wobbles.

If DECC is dead can we hope that DFID is on the scaffold waiting for someone to kick away the chair? (Slash its budget and give the remnants to Boris).

At this rate she'll face both Labour and Real Labour/SDP2 in the autumn and win a landslide.
  • Options
    I do like Sam Coates from The Times - he actually knows stuff. And isn't partisan.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JohnO said:

Northern Ireland?

That would be sensible. Northern Ireland would be the small p political decision.
    Also, she has a young daughter, I doubt a move to Ireland would be on the cards.

• Options
    JohnO said:

Northern Ireland?

Could work. I wonder after all the pressures of the last week, Andrea Leadsom will prefer a spell out of the limelight
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

felix said:

What of Grayling?

My guess is since she's dumped Letwin, he'll be DPM and Duchy of Lancaster.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737

felix said:

What of Grayling?

Stays as Leader of the House and Lord President of the Council?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    PlatoSaid said:

Greg Callus
    For completeness, the Lord High Steward, Lord High Treasurer and Lord High Constable are either held in commission or for coronations only

The Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland is vacant ....

I await a call .... and have done so since that last incumbent, the Marquess of Breadalbane, died in 1922 .... :smile:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited July 2016

I'd like to see industry, energy and transport merged into a super Department for Infrastructure.

That's a good call. Changes so far seem well thought through, which is surprising given the severely curtailed timescale of the leadership contest.

I love the SoS for Trade role, much needed in the post-EU environment. Hopefully he'll disappear on a plane next week and not be seen on these shores again until Christmas. In a good way, of course.

Business and Energy under the same brief would also be welcome, should lead to less of the "green crap" that literally no-one else in the world is still doing in the face of uncompetitiveness.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Pulpstar said:

JohnO said:

Northern Ireland?

Also, she has a young daughter, I doubt a move to Ireland would be on the cards.

I didnt know she was a mother.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Keeping Hunt at Health presumably means the Junior Doctors contract will be imposed and signals May's determination not to start her new administration by backing down in an industrial dispute.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

felix said:

What of Grayling?

McLoughlin has got Duchy of Lancaster
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

felix said:

What of Grayling?

Won't be DPM at this late stage, surely. Unless something has not gone to plan.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Keeping Hunt at Health presumably means the Junior Doctors contract will be imposed and signals May's determination not to start her new administration by backing down in an industrial dispute.

You broke it, you fix it.
  • Options
    I know he has his many critics, but Lord Feldman also needs replacing, as brilliant as Patrick McLoughlin is, he can't raise the money that Lord Feldman has, nor updated the Tory systems quite so efficiently.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Lord Dan Hannan get something.

I also think May might ease the wounds a bit by inviting Gove to head up a policy unit outside of the cabinet / government. He'd be awesome at that and wouldn't get a chance to scare the horses.
  • Options
    Wonder what job Villiers was offered that she didn't feel able to take..
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914
    "The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP as Conservative Party Chairman and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster."

Bloody hell does the Queen really approve the Conservative Party Chairman??
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Only Hunt and Fallon still in post so far.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JackW said:

Villiers out ... turned down a post

So earlier predictions that both Morgan and Villiers would leave confirmed: Hersham having a moderately good reshuffle so far. Now Anna to Ulster!!
    "Reshuffle" !!!!! .... Not you too .. :cry:
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I'm warming to the new PM!

She's trimming government and clearing out old shit. I particularly think that the BoJO/Fox/Davis appointments are very shrewd and should shut down all 'but will she really' type Brexit wobbles.

If DECC is dead can we hope that DFID is on the scaffold waiting for someone to kick away the chair? (Slash its budget and give the remnants to Boris).

At this rate she'll face both Labour and Real Labour/SDP2 in the autumn and win a landslide.

Tim Montgomerie said that Mr Cameron put in a last wish appeal to spare the DFID budget. I hope she axes it. Perhaps she could delay it until we are out of the EU and direct favourable trade terms to v.poor nations?
  • Options
    Baroness Evans (Who?) Lords Leader.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584

felix said:

What of Grayling?

Duchy of Lancaster.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    stjohn said:

Correct. Irrespective of one's views on the dispute, the BMA have been thoroughly beaten at politics.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

"The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon Patrick McLoughlin MP as Conservative Party Chairman and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster."

I guess approving the second mindful of the first.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JohnO said:

JackW said:

Villiers out ... turned down a post

So earlier predictions that both Morgan and Villiers would leave confirmed: Hersham having a moderately good reshuffle so far. Now Anna to Ulster!!
    "Reshuffle" !!!!! .... Not you too .. :cry:
    Eek..too late to edit. I prostrate myself as a penitent.
  • Options
    Duchy of Lancaster has gone already.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I wonder, all this radical change not just only people but of departments cannot have been dreamed up in the last week. TM must have been thinking about it for months, if not years, and I doubt by herself. So who are the other players in her backroom? Who are TM's advisors and confidants?
  • Options
    Icarus said:

No, only the Duchy of Lancaster part
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Probably got told she was staying at NI and said "Sod this for a game of soldiers !"
  • Options

felix said:

What of Grayling?

Duchy of Lancaster.
    Gone to McLoughlin
  • Options
    Department of Infrastructure with Adonis as SOS as well as National Infrastructure Commission chair could depoliticise the big awkward decisions
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Probably got told she was staying at NI and said "Sod this for a game of soldiers !"
    I really warmed to Villiers, so calm and sensible - shame to lose her.
  • Options
    I posted the below last night, and i'm increasingly thinking option 2 looks the most likely. I expect an early election to deal with the sackings destabilising the minimajority. She would win soundly (no landslide though, Labour at near the floor already i think, and Lib Dems may recover nicely). Disappointing for me personally who was hoping for some Norway fudge on brexit, but if May is going to actually stick to her speech yesterday, and those are her aims, there are reasons to be cheerful (for those that liked the sound of her speech yesterday, which I did).

"May has gone very brexit heavy in the 'outward facing' brexit related departments. The reasons for this could be:

1) Scapegoating - she wants to ensure that any brexit FUBARs don't fall on her head.
    2) Compromise - she was never a europhile remainer anyway, so no ideological reason to be against brexit, so why choose that hill to die on? Give the Bastards their Brexit and she may be able to crack on with what she really cares about without too much pushback.
    3) Backsliding - A brexiteer can go for EU-lite in a way that a Remainer couldn't."
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Not yet. But we may be applying for Royal Appointment status in view of the implosion of all opposition (apart from the SNP).

""By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen, the Conservative Party, suppliers of public policy and good government"
  • Options
    Theresa Villiers out. Turned down job. Transport? HS2?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited July 2016
    In other news...

Celtic are apparently appealing the Gibraltar result.

Red Imps played a gas fitter in midfield who allegedly wasn't corgi registered.
  • Options

Department of Infrastructure with Adonis as SOS as well as National Infrastructure Commission chair could depoliticise the big awkward decisions

That's an interesting notion.
  • Options
    Hold on, why is there a Duchy of Lancaster, but not a Duchy of York?

Or is it that Lancastrians need constant adult supervision?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Dare I say it?

This is a very white cabinet.

Not that it bothers me either way, but weren't the Tories trying hard to tone down the whiteness?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914

Icarus said:

Thats not what the release says.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Theresa Villiers out. Turned down job. Transport? HS2?

DfID is more likely.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

Because you pass the duchy on the left hand side. York is on the right hand side.
  • Options

Er there is...
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Eek..too late to edit. I prostrate myself as a penitent.

Not the sort of error I'd expect of a prospective ermine clad chap ..
  • Options
    Good Lord, Natalie Evans is the new Leader of the House of Lords
  • Options

I wonder, all this radical change not just only people but of departments cannot have been dreamed up in the last week. TM must have been thinking about it for months, if not years, and I doubt by herself. So who are the other players in her backroom? Who are TM's advisors and confidants?

Apparently Nick Timothy is one.
  • Options

Er there is...
    I meant in the cabinet
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848
    edited July 2016
    stjohn said:

It also keeps the fallout from the dispute associated with Jeremy Hunt. May can dispense with him after it's over without tarnishing her own name.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    @EyeSpyMP: Sacked @NickyMorgan01 at Westminster tube, pulling suitcase.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Dare I say it?

Not that it bothers me either way, but weren't the Tories trying hard to tone down the whiteness?

May doesn't do tokenism, so we're told. Did you have anyone in mind?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I'd like to see Lord Dan Hannan get something.

I also think May might ease the wounds a bit by inviting Gove to head up a policy unit outside of the cabinet / government. He'd be awesome at that and wouldn't get a chance to scare the horses.

Hannan will probably be picked up by David Davis for his knowledge of the EU, both he and Gove would do very well in a policy unit type role where big brains are needed. Would also keep Gove on the inside of the tent...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    So how would you say the past month has gone, Mr Gove? Bit of a curates egg?
  • Options

PONWAS
  • Options
    Ooh, maybe Grayling is angling for a peerage? Leader of the Lords?
    Icarus said:

Icarus said:

It's complex. The PM is appointing the party chairman, which is a party matter, but also appointing them to the cabinet via a sinecure (Duchy of Lancaster) so presumably the Crown needs to approve that. And it's either both or nothing.
  • Options

Er there is...
    I meant in the cabinet
    There are no lands associated with the Dukedom of York
  • Options
    John_M said:

Fenster said:

Dare I say it?

May doesn't do tokenism, so we're told. Did you have anyone in mind?
    No, not at all.. I'm trying to suss out who was a non-white in the previous Cabinet?

Patel. Javid. Amiyah.

Any others?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Infrastructure will be a massive job. The harsh reality for the right is that big infrastructure projects need state funding and drive to make them happen. The state can borrow the large amounts of cash far cheaper than private industry and can accommodate the prolonged payback period.

So what major projects would this new department need to go after?
    1. Housing. Remove all the banked land from greedy housebuilders. Remove the disincentive to councils to allow development on brownfield. Get building on a large scale
    2. Heathrow. Its in the wrong place. But there's no alternative, so get on with it already
    3. High Speed Rail - we need massive capacity increases in the medium term, so get on with it already
    4. Roads - a million and one schemes could be started tomorrow, from resurfacing to pinchpoints to bypasses to major new routes. Get on with it
    5. Energy. Hinkley Point was a bad deal and has gone cold. Build our own. And readress the tarriffs making wind and tidal hard to do - we should be leading the world developing new energy generation
    6. Fibre Broadband. Most people can't get access to it and its up to a private monopoly to provide it. Remove Openreach from the equation and build it ourselves
  • Options

So how would you say the past month has gone, Mr Gove? Bit of a curates egg?

His wife is now regretting not reading the end of Macbeth
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840

Er there is...
    There's a Duke of York but no estate (a duchy) to go with it.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Icarus said:

Is every Cabinet position not technically approved by HMQ, given that it carries a salary?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    PlatoSaid said:

Villiers resigns after declining job.

Good. She's my MP. I've never forgiven here for her housing scandal.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    @Shippersunbound: It took Margaret Thatcher three years to get the cabinet she wanted. It has taken Theresa May three days.

Not even three days - she's not been PM 24 hours yet....
  • Options

1399 and the seizure of the throne by Henry IV. One of the queen's titles. Funnily enough the Yorkists nicked the duchy of Lancaster when they claimed the crown even though they had no right to it (the duchy that is).

• Options
    edited July 2016

Er there is...
    Prince Andrew is the Duke of York.

However the duchy has no lands or income because of the Wars of the Roses denuding it, so there's no sinecure chancellery attached.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt ‏@Jeremy_Hunt 2m2 minutes ago
    'Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated...'

This is because he was treated on a week day and not a weekend :-)
  • Options
    It's official, I'm going on holiday to countries where gambling is illegal and PB is banned.

This might be the longest two weeks of my life.
  • Options

Well scumbag enjoy the fact you were wrong you loathsome tit. Jeremy is staying https://t.co/5fgFJb8w0J

— Louise Mensch (@LouiseMensch) July 14, 2016

Someone pissed in Mensch's cornflakes this morning.
  • Options
    I saw that and immediately thought OMG - she really doesn't help herself or the Tory cause sometimes.

The original tweet was an observation more than a dig at Hunt.
  • Options
    Mark Harper leaves the government
  • Options
    So where are all the new ladies in the government? Evans is one but she replaces another woman and Morgan and Villiers are both out.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,848
    edited July 2016

You mean, why is there a Chancellorship and why is he in government? I think it's because the Duchy of Lancaster is the sovereign's private estate and source of income. So I guess the Chancellor is the equivalent role to a mediaeval steward for the Queen.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JamesAsser: Jeremy Hunt staying at health. More medical reaction. #reshuffle https://t.co/cYypn0BTOS
  • Options

Ouch! Bit of a step down from yesterday's ministerial car. You'd think they'd call her a taxi.

By the way, does anyone know why the Government Car Service have a preference for German-made cars? From watching yesterday's footage it appears that only the PM has a British-made car. Maybe they're trying to get trade concessions from the Brexit negotiations by pointing out to Merkel how even our ministers use their cars!
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

It's official, I'm going on holiday to countries where gambling is illegal and PB is banned.

Try a VPN.

http://hola.org/
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737

You know you can get Tor on your mobile right?
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Infrastructure will be a massive job. The harsh reality for the right is that big infrastructure projects need state funding and drive to make them happen. The state can borrow the large amounts of cash far cheaper than private industry and can accommodate the prolonged payback period.

So what major projects would this new department need to go after?
    1. Housing. Remove all the banked land from greedy housebuilders. Remove the disincentive to councils to allow development on brownfield. Get building on a large scale
    2. Heathrow. Its in the wrong place. But there's no alternative, so get on with it already
    3. High Speed Rail - we need massive capacity increases in the medium term, so get on with it already
    4. Roads - a million and one schemes could be started tomorrow, from resurfacing to pinchpoints to bypasses to major new routes. Get on with it
    5. Energy. Hinkley Point was a bad deal and has gone cold. Build our own. And readress the tarriffs making wind and tidal hard to do - we should be leading the world developing new energy generation
    6. Fibre Broadband. Most people can't get access to it and its up to a private monopoly to provide it. Remove Openreach from the equation and build it ourselves

Agree with the tone of your post if not all the details, but IANAE. We shoudl just get on wityh some STUFF certainly. HS2 I think is a daft idea but meh

With record low bond yields we can borrow some cash cheaply now, and infrastructure cash is largely spent on our own economy anyway so is reasonably "Keynesian" (Did I mention IANAE?)

I would like to see that tidal barrier thing across the Severn. Sod the seabirds they can fly away surely...
  • Options

Sad
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sandpit said:

By the way, does anyone know why the Government Car Service have a preference for German-made cars? From watching yesterday's footage it appears that only the PM has a British-made car. Maybe they're trying to get trade concessions from the Brexit negotiations by pointing out to Merkel how even our ministers use their cars!

I assume it's a "multi-source" policy, for the same reason police don't all use the same cars.

If there is a recall, they don't all go out of service at the same time.

I think Stephen Crabb got into a Toyota BTW.

Fire up the mid-priced saloons !
  • Options

No room in the Govt for people that turn a blind eye to illegal immigrants?
  • Options

You're going to Mecca?
  • Options
    They should have won the referendum if they wanted continuity.
  • Options

Sad
    Sacked or resigned?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,548
    The Duchy of Lancaster is the Queen's second title and its holder is therefore a royal official. However, it now administers the Queen's private wealth and the title has no official duties as a result.

The Duke of York is a private member of the Royal family and his estate is therefore not a Crown matter. He has no estates because no Duke of York has inherited the title since 1461 and its estates have been merged into the Duchy of Lancaster as a result.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

Greg Callus
    For completeness, the Lord High Steward, Lord High Treasurer and Lord High Constable are either held in commission or for coronations only

The Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland is vacant ....

I await a call .... and have done so since that last incumbent, the Marquess of Breadalbane, died in 1922 .... :smile:
    I don't think May uses carrier pigeons....... ;)
This discussion has been closed.