Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new cabinet so far, the night and day of the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new cabinet so far, the night and day of the long kitten heels?

The new government by Mrs May is so far appearing to be very different from that it was before, which seems very appropriate on Bastille Day.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    stilettoes works better.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Osborne and Letwin OUT

I'm happy. :)
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Gavin Williamson has jumped how many rungs on the ladder? Cameron's aide to Chief Whip?!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Gavin Williamson, Dave's long serving PPS, apparently Chief Whip.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    Hunt in no. 10 now, LBC still thinks he isn't getting health. Hopefully IDS stays sacked.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    JohnO said:

It is proving most interesting today.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Bastille Day Bloodbath.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Seems sensible given how many Cameroons/Osbornites are now in the backbencher.

• Options
    Any news on the lovely Priti Patel yet?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    More stilettoe heels that kitten. – I’ll consult Miss BeverlyC and get back to you on that...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Nicky Morgan is outout OUT!!!
    I am willing to forgive the Boris error. GoMay!!!!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Gavin Williamson has jumped how many rungs on the ladder? Cameron's aide to Chief Whip?!

I'd say almost three as CW effectively a Cabinet member.
  • Options

Bastille Day Bloodbath.

No more Chumocracy.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,752
    As someone who is wishing Mrs May well, I do wonder if she has overdone the sackings

Who would you have kept?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Missing some of the puzzle pieces here. Transport has to go somewhere.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    JohnO said:

PlatoSaid said:

I'd say almost three as CW effectively a Cabinet member.
    Also very close to Dave and George, given the influence and confidence that the Chief Whip enjoys, very interesting appointment.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    It all feels a bit random..........
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    JohnO said:

Great appointment IMO. What do you make of it?
  • Options
    Re the comments of the foreign ministers and Schultz - this sounds to me like they are worried that the initiative is being taken away from them. A good early start from May under the circumstances. She needs to be ahead of the game as it will clearly get rougher as time goes on. The other explanation of course is they are just 3 idiots mouthing off.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited July 2016
    And all hived off elsewhere, or are we looking at an infrastructure & competitiveness super depratment? [edit: typo left in, as may have comedy value]
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    The ruthlessness of May's sackings suggest she doesn't care if her majority evaporates. That can only be because (a) she's prepared to lead a minority or coalition government if it means dumping the rightards, or (b) she's already decided on an autumn general election.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

Missing some of the puzzle pieces here. Transport has to go somewhere.
    There's a pun in there.
  • Options
    Surely they are going to get merged into a single department into a single "UK PLC ministry".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Former Transport secretary now Party Chair and Duchy of Lancaster
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    ydoethur said:

Nicky Morgan is outout OUT!!!
    I am willing to forgive the Boris error. GoMay!!!!

Don't forget that May has castrated the FCO. Trade is Fox. Europe is Davies. The FCO is now in charge of being nice to the Americans.
  • Options

As someone who is wishing Mrs May well, I do wonder if she has overdone the sackings

Who would you have kept?

Nicky Morgan, she's close to Gove, with the sacking of Gove and Morgan, there's the potential for at least 46 pissed off Tory MPs
  • Options
    The penny finally drops:

@bbclauraK: Lots and lots of changes, this is more like a new govt after an election than a reshuffle
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

stilettoes works better.

She doesn't wear stilettoes. But a kitten heel in the back will kill just as soundly.
  • Options

I dunno. If you are crap you are out. If you were one of Osborne's you are out. If you crossed the Home Office in last five year you are out.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

And all hived off elsewhere, or are we looking at an infrastructure & competitiveness super depratment?
    Skills and universities gone fron Bis, Climate change could easily go (back) to DEFRA. That would leave energy (Hinckley Point C) and Transport (HS2)...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JGForsyth: Patrick McLoughlin, a former miner, as party chair is another sign that May determined to rid Tories of reputation as the party of the rich
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    When I reported on PB yesterday that there were radical changes afoot the new May government i wasn't quite expecting this much.

MAY the force be with you ....
  • Options
    Sky News - Crabb into Downing Street
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Surprised as it puts question marks over Mark Harper and Ann Milton (both of whom are good) but it's well deserved.
  • Options

Who would you have kept?

Nicky Morgan, she's close to Gove, with the sacking of Gove and Morgan, there's the potential for at least 46 pissed off Tory MPs
    Is Nicky Morgan actually any good?

Why would May dump a competent minister?
  • Options
    JackW said:

When I reported on PB yesterday that there were radical changes afoot the new May government i wasn't quite expecting this much.

Do you think she's over done it?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Who would you have kept?

should she change FTPA and go to the country.
  • Options
    Stephen Pollard
    Theresa May appears to have sat in Cabinet for 6 years looking at colleagues quietly planning the day she can kill them off
  • Options

The penny finally drops:

@bbclauraK: Lots and lots of changes, this is more like a new govt after an election than a reshuffle

Because it is a new government !!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Has Labour disintegrated yet ?
  • Options
    Patrick Kidd
    Labour MP Kevin Brennan tells Commons that Boris to FCO is the most remarkable political appointment since Caligula made his horse a senator

:smiley:
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

look at their backgrounds. many working class.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    IanB2 said:

Hunt in no. 10 now, LBC still thinks he isn't getting health. Hopefully IDS stays sacked.

BBC news scroll was saying jeremy hunt sacked over an hour ago. Did they jump the gun?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Stephen Pollard
    Theresa May appears to have sat in Cabinet for 6 years looking at colleagues quietly planning the day she can kill them off

#TheGodmother
  • Options
    What of Grayling?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

Pro_Rata said:

And all hived off elsewhere, or are we looking at an infrastructure & competitiveness super depratment?
    Skills and universities gone fron Bis, Climate change could easily go (back) to DEFRA. That would leave energy (Hinckley Point C) and Transport (HS2)...
    New Department for Long-term Infrastructure? (Makes some sort of sense for them to be combined in some ways - although I can see it very easily becoming the 'new' graveyard post)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Nope.

I keep harping on about this but it isn't a reshuffle. It's a new administration and government.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick Kidd
    Labour MP Kevin Brennan tells Commons that Boris to FCO is the most remarkable political appointment since Caligula made his horse a senator

Come now. "The most remarkable political appointment since Corbyn became LOTO." Labour would be in a lot less trouble if a horse was in charge.
  • Options

Has Labour disintegrated yet ?

what, again?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Newsnight were convinced that May was basically going to be more regulation, more big government, more like the French, then today she closes down a load of departments like Climate Change.
  • Options
    felix said:

Re the comments of the foreign ministers and Schultz - this sounds to me like they are worried that the initiative is being taken away from them. A good early start from May under the circumstances. She needs to be ahead of the game as it will clearly get rougher as time goes on. The other explanation of course is they are just 3 idiots mouthing off.

I think Theresa is going to stitch this up with Angela, then tell Francois (if it drags on that long, or his successor) and take it from there....people were commenting yesterday on 'Oh look, they're being driven in German cars.....probably a coincidence....possibly not...'
  • Options
    All these new government departments/culling of others means another another Labour reshuffle.

God I Love You Thersa
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    MaxPB said:

Surely they are going to get merged into a single department into a single "UK PLC ministry".
    There is presumably a need for a beefed up Economics function dealing with internal regulation as the UK extracts itself from the EU regime
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Nope.

I keep harping on about this but it isn't a reshuffle. It's a new administration and government.
    She's still stuck with a relatively tiny majority though. You don't think, in a year or two, her enemies will "get her"?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Stephen Pollard

#TheGodmother
    Given her dad was a vicar - that's very apt!
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Stephen Pollard

6? - probably much longer than that…
  • Options
    JohnO said:

MaxPB said:

JohnO said:

Surprised as it puts question marks over Mark Harper and Ann Milton (both of whom are good) but it's well deserved.
    Indeed. Both may be looking at promotions though. Would be tough to send the Whips to the back benches and Harper is just as close to the Cameroons as Williamson AIUI, a good way to get them on board without having to deal with the difficult figureheads.
  • Options
    John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick Kidd

Come now. "The most remarkable political appointment since Corbyn became LOTO." Labour would be in a lot less trouble if a horse was in charge.
    Neigh!
  • Options
    Patrick McLoughlin reminds me of Eric Pickles in a slightly smaller collar size.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2016
    The changes, sackings and promotions that May is implementing are in part a reaction to the stability and loyalty David Cameron showed to his ministers. I thought it was a good feature of the Cameron administration that reshuffles were minimal.

I hope May will be able to give her new appointees time to learn and grow into the brief they have so that there is an understanding of the issues and the solutions can be found without massive unintended consequences.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick Kidd

Neigh!
    What's that expression, in some seats you could stick a red rosette on a donkey and still win?
  • Options
    image This.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

All these new government departments/culling of others means another another Labour reshuffle.

God I Love You Thersa

Another? Can we actually class the last reshuffle as complete or merely paused (so far, for the duration of the Conservatives having a leadership election and forming an entirely new government)?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    PlatoSaid said:

Patrick McLoughlin reminds me of Eric Pickles in a slightly smaller collar size.

The decline of Pickles is one of the mysteries of the Cameron era for me.

I'm not sure what he ever did wrong.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

image This.

Please can we knock this "This" thing on the head, or possibly nip it in the bud?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    This change of government feels way bigger than even the change from the Con-LD coalition to the Con Majority Gov't.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,788
    posted from Craig Murray's blog:

(Name Redacted)
    July 14, 2016 at 09:38

I know this is a bit off topic but I’m consumed with rage over a letter I received this morning from my Constituency Labour Party:
    Suspension of meetings: our AGM will no longer take place on 21 July.
    View this email in your browser

(Name Redacted)

(Name Redacted)

We have received instructions from the Scottish Labour Party that all local meetings, except those called explicitly and solely to agree nominations for the upcoming leadership election, are to be suspended until after the leadership election is completed.

This means that regrettably our AGM scheduled for 21 July will no longer be taking place.

Full details of the leadership election process should be released shortly. Apologies on behalf of your CLP Executive for this further postponement, which is outwith our control. We will continue to keep you informed on developments.

Best wishes,

Duncan Hothersall
    Chair, Edinburgh Southern CLP
    Margaret Graham
    Secretary, Edinburgh Southern CLP

SLAB shutting down possible dissent?
  • Options
    HS2? McLouglin was a train fan.
  • Options

God I Love You Thersa

You fickle old tart ....

You're only after Theresa's old cast off shoes .. :smile:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

PlatoSaid said:

John_M said:

PlatoSaid said:

Patrick Kidd

Neigh!
    What's that expression, in some seats you could stick a red rosette on a donkey and still win?
    That theory could well get tested to destruction shortly.
  • Options
    taffys said:

PlatoSaid said:

Was it a health thing? I loved Eric.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

(Name Redacted)

I know this is a bit off topic but I’m consumed with rage over a letter I received this morning from my Constituency Labour Party:

(Name Redacted)

(Name Redacted)

We have received instructions from the Scottish Labour Party that all local meetings, except those called explicitly and solely to agree nominations for the upcoming leadership election, are to be suspended until after the leadership election is completed.

This means that regrettably our AGM scheduled for 21 July will no longer be taking place.

Full details of the leadership election process should be released shortly. Apologies on behalf of your CLP Executive for this further postponement, which is outwith our control. We will continue to keep you informed on developments.

Best wishes,

Duncan Hothersall
    Margaret Graham

My understanding was this applied to all CLPs, i.e. England and Wales as well
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    You could make a much better government from the Labour and Tory backbench than from either frontbench.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

:smiley: .. "slightly" as in gargantuan.
  • Options
    Villiers out ... turned down a post
  • Options
    Villiers resigns after declining job.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

(Name Redacted)

(Name Redacted)

(Name Redacted)

Best wishes,

Duncan Hothersall
    Margaret Graham

I think they want to stop the death threats. Reasonably enough.
  • Options
    taffys said:

PlatoSaid said:

He willingly stood down, wanted a less hectic life
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    MaxPB said:

That would make sense. The merging of ministries is coincidentally a good way to achieve significant cost savings in the medium term.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Nope.

She's still stuck with a relatively tiny majority though. You don't think, in a year or two, her enemies will "get her"?
    I think May is like Thatcher in one sense - she believes in 'doing the right thing' - and 'bugger the consequences' - as Thatcher famously retorted when going into an EU meeting 'what does it feel like to be on your own among the 12?' 'It doesn't matter if the other 11 are wrong'....

This is a May government - and will sink - or swim, by its own lights.....
  • Options
    JackW said:

NI again I guess.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Ishmael_X said:

image This.

Please can we knock this "This" thing on the head, or possibly nip it in the bud?
    +1
  • Options
    It is clear that ridding the Tories of their perception as being from privilege, for privilege, is May's top priority. The rest almost feels secondary.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I can see her latching on to Gove and Osborne on the backbenches...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Was it a health thing? I loved Eric. ''

Me too. Its always great to here conservative sentiments expressed in that fantastic accent, A la Rhodes Boyson and William Hague.
  • Options
    What job is Leadsom going to get?

Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Ishmael_X said:

image This.

Well said.

Also on the list:

Simples

Popcorn

Colour me (whatever)

• Options
    Greg Callus
    For completeness, the Lord High Steward, Lord High Treasurer and Lord High Constable are either held in commission or for coronations only
  • Options
    "We are hearing that BIS is to become the Business, Energy and Industry Department - a title which must raise questions about the future of DECC as a standalone department."
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,477

Northern Ireland?

Energy seems to be the likely one.
  • Options
    JackW said:

So earlier predictions that both Morgan and Villiers would leave confirmed: Hersham having a moderately good reshuffle so far. Now Anna to Ulster!!
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

felix said:

I think Theresa is going to stitch this up with Angela, then tell Francois (if it drags on that long, or his successor) and take it from there....people were commenting yesterday on 'Oh look, they're being driven in German cars.....probably a coincidence....possibly not...'
    Merkel is by far and away the most powerful politican in europe. But she is not omnipotent, and she doesn't run the whole EU from her office. She is not more powerful than other EU countries put together. It won't be a UK-Germany secret stitch-up.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Ishmael_X said:

image This.

Well said.

Also on the list:

Simples

Popcorn

Colour me (whatever)

This.

*runs away giggling*
  • Options
    edited July 2016

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Nope.

I think May is like Thatcher in one sense - she believes in 'doing the right thing' - and 'bugger the consequences' - as Thatcher famously retorted when going into an EU meeting 'what does it feel like to be on your own among the 12?' 'It doesn't matter if the other 11 are wrong'....

This is a May government - and will sink - or swim, by its own lights.....
    People have overused the term 'conviction politician' until it has become almost meaningless. I think May actually is one. That doesn't mean she's ideological, nor does it imply she's not pragmatic. I just think she'll decide what's best and then...Banzai.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    sarissa said:

Its not just Scotland. Not all regional directors were as quick off the mark, but basically all branch, constituency or local campaign forum meetings have been "suspended" until the conclusion of the leadership contest. The only formal meetings that can go ahead are meetings to nominate a candidate in that contest or other campaign meetings for local byelections.

I expect that a lot of "gatherings" or "social meetings" will be called where there is no formal agenda or minutes. Ironically this is supposed to protect us from brutalising each other over the leadership. Yet a meeting to debate the leadership is permitted!
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    I'd like to see industry, energy and transport merged into a super Department for Infrastructure.
  • Options
    Good moves.
  • Options

Northern Ireland?

Energy seems to be the likely one.
    Will not exist by this afternoon.

The new Business, Energy and Industry Department is a possibility, if the rumours are right
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ishmael_X said:

image This.

try dumping the pix.
This discussion has been closed.