Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new cabinet so far, the night and day of the

Comments

• Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited July 2016
    Leadsom gets DEFRA

That's got a serious Brexit angle re fisheries/farmers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Andrea Leadsom appointed Secretary of State for Environment & Rural Affairs

Good, she can't do too much damage there.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Food and fields for Leadsom
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_P said:

Andrea Leadsom shows her inexperience even now

The only person so far to confirm her job to journalists as she steps out the front door

Truss did
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

JackW said:

National Polls :

Clinton 40 .. Trump 40 - CBS/NY Times
    Clinton 45 .. Trump 43 - YouGov/Economist
    Clinton 37 .. Trump 44 - Rasmussen

That Ras is a bad poll for Clinton. Realise it has a GOP lean but even so Obama was rarely behind in it.
    I think your memory's playing tricks on you. Do an in-page search for Rasmussen Reports. Alternatively look for wherever there's a red number surrounded by blue ones.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/us/general_election_romney_vs_obama-1171.html#polls
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585

Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Damian Green gets Work and Pensions

Ha! Hadn't thought of that possibility, but he's a good choice.
    Good to see someone who seems a decent enough fellow and badly treated when sacked for some reason I forget now, possibly being a bit lefty.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Scott_P said:

The only person so far to confirm her job to journalists as she steps out the front door

Can't you give over just once?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why is that a mistake ?

Some protocol I'm unaware of ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Sean_F said:

Katie Hopkins will be planning something big to wrest the crown of moronic biliousness back.

https://twitter.com/WelshGasDoc/status/753555816863657984

That's a classy post from Louise Mensch.
    I wasn't around when she posted on here. Was there any indication that such a morally retarded, fact-ignoring monster lurked within?
    She never posted anything like that, IIRC.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Andrea Leadsom appointed Secretary of State for Environment & Rural Affairs

Is Andrea a "denier"? ;)
    As reported by energy site Drill or Drop, the MP for South Northamptonshire told the All Party Parliamentary Group on Unconventional Gas and Oil: "When I first came to this job one of my two questions was: 'Is climate change real?' and the other was 'Is hydraulic fracturing safe?' And on both of those questions I am now completely persuaded."
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Glad to see Damien Green get Work and Pensions. As @rottenborough has said, a human is finally in DWP.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Good to see someone who seems a decent enough fellow and badly treated when sacked for some reason I forget now, possibly being a bit lefty.
    He's a very decent fellow indeed and I think he'll be quietly competent on the managerial side.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

Why is that a mistake ?

Yes. all of the announcement are being made by official press release
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Is Andrea a "denier"? ;)
    As reported by energy site Drill or Drop, the MP for South Northamptonshire told the All Party Parliamentary Group on Unconventional Gas and Oil: "When I first came to this job one of my two questions was: 'Is climate change real?' and the other was 'Is hydraulic fracturing safe?' And on both of those questions I am now completely persuaded."
    Phew... ;)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Put out to pasture?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    edited July 2016

Damian Green to DWP

His wikipedia entry features the following line

2016 Given the job of screwing over the country's ill and infirm whilst smiling away.

it won't be there for long...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    PlatoSaid said:

Trying to discover who's had the shortest times in office.

I guessed David Laws, he managed 17 days

Alas

Arthur S
    @PlatoSays @FatherJones1 Beaverbrook was Minister of War Production for 15 days from 4 - 19 February 1942 before resigning.

"In February 1942, Beaverbrook became Minister of War Production and again clashed with Bevin, this time over shipbuilding. In the face of Bevin's refusal to work with him, Beaverbrook resigned after only twelve (sic.) days in the post"

Should be 15!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221

Katie Hopkins will be planning something big to wrest the crown of moronic biliousness back.

What is wrong with Louise Mensch?
    As well as being nasty, she's the sort of person who enjoys being talked about. And lo! we are talking about her! It doesn't matter if it's negative talk: it's still putting her at the centre of attention.

A bit like most tw@ts on Twitter.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:
    He says he is pitching for working class Labour voters and Tories disappointed with 'continuity Cameron' Theresa May. Ironic that if he won the only barrister leading one of the main parties would be leading UKIP
  • Options
    taffys said:

Put out to pasture?

Will be a much more important role in Brexit Britain...
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Hearing that DFID (aid department) to be abolished.

@PickardJE: One reason that abolition of DFID would be interesting is that keeping it was a manifesto pledge....
  • Options
    @juliamacfarlane: You Brexit, you pay for it: May's putting Leavers in charge of departments most affected by #Brexit https://t.co/JszastWx2N
  • Options
    @PippaCrerar: So Andrea Leadsom gets the job of telling farmers about losing their subsidies. Touche. https://t.co/MP66xHQDNN
  • Options
    taffys said:

Put out to pasture?

Actually, ex the EU, the UK is going to need its own agricultural and fisheries policies. This could suddenly become a beeeeg joooorb.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: DFID not being abolished....false alarm apparently.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Put out to pasture?

As will fisheries hopefully...
  • Options

Glad to see Damien Green get Work and Pensions. As @rottenborough has said, a human is finally in DWP.

Wild scenes of joy in our house, as the mrs has to rely on them for a disability payment which we can't survive without. May be premature if Green goes native, but I suspect DWP staff are sick themselves of playing evil gits all day long instead of actually trying to help people get better and back to work in a reasonable manner.
  • Options

As well as being nasty, she's the sort of person who enjoys being talked about. And lo! we are talking about her! It doesn't matter if it's negative talk: it's still putting her at the centre of attention.

I am actually embarrassed to say when she was an MP I used to like her. But now? My god, she comes across as a nut-case. Why you'd want to act like a nut-case purely for attention is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

taffys said:

Put out to pasture?

I'm pleased with that role - I'd have preferred George Eustice to have a leg up, hopefully he'll stay in place.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: One reason that abolition of DFID would be interesting is that keeping it was a manifesto pledge....

"We will continue to meet the 0.7 per cent target, maintain an independent Department for International Development and keep aid untied. "
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PippaCrerar: So Andrea Leadsom gets the job of telling farmers about losing their subsidies. Touche. https://t.co/MP66xHQDNN

Repeat after me:

"There is no such thing as "EU money". There is only taxpayers' money!"
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    PlatoSaid said:

Leadsom gets DEFRA

That's got a serious Brexit angle re fisheries/farmers.

poisonous job.. no one has ever sorted out that can of worms.
  • Options
    Wow

@conradlandin: BREAKING: Unite, Labour's largest affiliate, votes to support mandatory re-selection of MPs.
  • Options
    Who's Greg Clark? He's just arrived.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Greg Clark into No 10.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Why is that a mistake ?

Yes. all of the announcement are being made by official press release
    I'm sure this isn't the first time a minister has done this.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

Wow

@conradlandin: BREAKING: Unite, Labour's largest affiliate, votes to support mandatory re-selection of MPs.

Momentum will be happy
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

What could Katie Hopkins say to top that?

• Options
    JackW said:

Greg Clark into No 10.

Presumably keeping Communities & Local Govt, I'd guess
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Wow

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
  • Options

Scott_P said:

He's a very decent fellow indeed and I think he'll be quietly competent on the managerial side.
    That will make a change at DWP after years of bloody IDS and then that other bloke, forget his name, Welsh wasn't he?
  • Options

I'm sure this isn't the first time a minister has done this.

First one in this cabinet
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Scott_P said:

Wow

I think that would be good for all parties.

• Options
    May has created two new departments, so surely she's going to kill two. Which ones? DEFRA and Transport survived. So who else? DECC? DfID?
  • Options

Wild scenes of joy in our house, as the mrs has to rely on them for a disability payment which we can't survive without. May be premature if Green goes native, but I suspect DWP staff are sick themselves of playing evil gits all day long instead of actually trying to help people get better and back to work in a reasonable manner.
    Sorry to hear about your wife's disability. I really hope that she continues to get disability payments and that the DWP under Green isn't what it was under IDS. I also feel that Osborne's austerity agenda ended up undermining many attempts at 'reform' in the last government, and so with him gone maybe things will be better for the DWP (and other departments) as well.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    PlatoSaid said:

Who's Greg Clark? He's just arrived.

DCLG currently.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    edited July 2016
    Never mind 'night of the long knives' more like 'bonfire of the Cameroons'! Osborne, Gove, Letwin, Morgan all sacked, Boles and Cameron resign, Davis, Fox, Green, Leadsom all promoted to Cabinet.
  • Options
    I think May has a sense of humour after all. Guardian:

"That means Leadsom, a leading Vote Leave campaigner, will be responsible for dealing with farmers, the group that has most to lose in terms of subsidies from Brexit. (Vote Leave claimed farmers would not lose out, because the UK government would be able to carry on paying subsidies..."
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714

May has created two new departments, so surely she's going to kill two. Which ones? DEFRA and Transport survived. So who else? DECC? DfID?

I wonder if she'll merge Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland Offices with a new 'Department for those bloody annoying Celts'
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    I expect Business and DECC to merge into Infrastructure or something similarly named.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Wow

Not a surprise. I wonder what the GMB's position is on this. Afterall, there did seem to be a divide between them and Unite on the NEC's decision.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Wow

Not a surprise. I wonder what the GMB's position is on this. Afterall, there did seem to be a divide between them and Unite on the NEC's decision.
    Popcorn alert!!!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Damian Green to DWP

That's too tough for Damian Green.
  • Options
    I think Andrea Leadsom at DEFRA is a great appointment, given she taught Old McDonald everything he knew.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Scott_P said:

Wow

So MP's would have to appeal to electorate and their own members at all times, even if the two are mutually exclusive in their goals? Good luck PLP.
  • Options
    Leadsom gets DEFRA
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Greg Clark is MP for Tunbridge Wells and a very nice chap.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Scott_P said:

Tell me this is true. Whoopee. A human in DWP.
    Green is a very nice chap - I have met him.
  • Options

I wonder if she'll merge Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland Offices with a new 'Department for those bloody annoying Celts'
    Department for the Union? She said a lot about the union bit yesterday. She really doesn't want to be the PM who loses it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JohnO said:

So where are all the new ladies in the government? Evans is one but she replaces another woman and Morgan and Villiers are both out.

Is Evans new? I thought she used to be "Spokesman" in the Lords because Cameron screwed up and hit the limit in terms of Cabinet slots
  • Options

JackW said:

Greg Clark into No 10.

Presumably keeping Communities & Local Govt, I'd guess
    Not sure. Still a few chairs to dance around.
  • Options
    Is Grayling pro or anti HS2 do we know?

Will May instruct him to prioritise the northern HS3 instead of the London orientated HS2?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

I am actually embarrassed to say when she was an MP I used to like her. But now? My god, she comes across as a nut-case. Why you'd want to act like a nut-case purely for attention is anyone's guess.
    I think she's probably bitter at having given up a chance to be in government (and as an A List candidate she was likely to have gone far), to play second fiddle to her husbands career in the US. She seems to be a very angry frustrated woman
  • Options
    Re: compulsory reselection. Is this an NEC decision? Presumably with union backing there will be a majority for compulsory reselection?
  • Options

I think Andrea Leadsom at DEFRA is a great appointment, given she taught Old McDonald everything he knew.

Chortle .. :smile:
  • Options

Sorry to hear about your wife's disability. I really hope that she continues to get disability payments and that the DWP under Green isn't what it was under IDS. I also feel that Osborne's austerity agenda ended up undermining many attempts at 'reform' in the last government, and so with him gone maybe things will be better for the DWP (and other departments) as well.
    Thanks. Appreciated.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Is Andrea a "denier"? ;)
    Actually no. She believes in AGW as she has repeatedly said
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    LOL at the BBC reporting the ex-Culture Secretary Whittingdale as being 'sacked'. They said that Osborne 'resigned' yesterday....
  • Options

Department for the Union? She said a lot about the union bit yesterday. She really doesn't want to be the PM who loses it.
    I got the feeling she feels gaining Brexit at the cost of breaking up the Union is too high a price
  • Options

Don't abuse the Welsh, please!

Wales voted by almost exactly the same margin as England for Brexit
    Wales reached the Euro 2016 semi-finals
    Wales are now ABOVE England in the FIFA rankings
  • Options

Bunch of Ramshaggers who think they are good at Rugby, but how many World Cups have you won?
  • Options
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 8m8 minutes ago
    Leadsom getting Defra continues theme of "you broke it, you own it" (CAP payments).

V good point. May is making sure if it all goes tits up then the Brexit brigade are all in the front line. Except Hammond, who will have to deal with a balance of payments crisis not of his own making.
  • Options
    Brokenshire arrives
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Ms. Apocalypse, to quote (unpublished) Sir Edric: Sweet lips, but her tongue's ever so grim.

On the Unite mandatory re-selection:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OHC77Vdjoc
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That's a classy post from Louise Mensch.
    I wasn't around when she posted on here. Was there any indication that such a morally retarded, fact-ignoring monster lurked within?
    She never posted anything like that, IIRC.
    We did have a laugh or two though, e.g. 'the dancing Iraqis'
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP as Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016

The third ("EEA-lite") seems attractive, as the option most likely to square the circle left by the referendum outcome. But by very clearly stepping outside the single market, I think will be the hardest to sell in Scotland and NI/ROI. So therefore risks destroying the Union, which given Theresa's statement from the steps of No 10, is obviously a non-starter.
    Note that WTO MFN isn't the automatic pit of despair some people assume. The risk is, as you say, to the Union.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

Never mind 'night of the long knives' more like 'bonfire of the Cameroons'! Osborne, Gove, Letwin, Morgan all sacked, Boles and Cameron resign, Davis, Fox, Green, Leadsom all promoted to Cabinet.

As Neil Kinnock once said: we've got our party back. Remember for many Tories, the Cameroons were interlopers who'd taken over the party, not only politically (like Blair and New Labour) but also socially: the Notting Hill and Chipping Norton sets, a weakness for Old Etonians and so on.
  • Options
    I was hoping Anna Soubry would get a cabinet job.
  • Options

Leadsom gets DEFRA

Great appointment. When God created the Earth in seven days, Andrea Leadsom was his project manager.
  • Options
    Sky News - Javid to Communities
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Bit of a demotion for Javid that..
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Scott_P said:

"We will continue to meet the 0.7 per cent target, maintain an independent Department for International Development and keep aid untied. "
    Aren't manifesto pledges now only 'ambitions'?
  • Options

Have we done everything now. She seems to have some talent, but maybe a bit too gobby for May's tastes?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

There is still time. Plenty of gaps still to be filled
  • Options

LOL at the BBC reporting the ex-Culture Secretary Whittingdale as being 'sacked'. They said that Osborne 'resigned' yesterday....

Whittingdale's got the push? Is Theresa a fan of Strictly? Maybe the prefers Cuban heels for kitten heels? ;)
  • Options

Bunch of Ramshaggers who think they are good at Rugby, but how many World Cups have you won?
    We English haven't won any World Cup since the UK joined the EEC.

Just sayin'...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP as Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government.

Oops, I got that wrong!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094

Leadsom getting Defra continues theme of "you broke it, you own it" (CAP payments).

V good point. May is making sure if it all goes tits up then the Brexit brigade are all in the front line. Except Hammond, who will have to deal with a balance of payments crisis not of his own making.

We've had one of those (a balance of payments crisis) for the past 10 years. Everyone pretends not to notice it...
  • Options

Repeat after me:

"There is no such thing as EU Money! There is only taxpayers' money!"

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

A classisc TINO and former-SDPer, would be a mistake. Not to mention she's a media firecracker.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,545
    What's left?

Chief Sec, Leader of the House, Whatever-BIS-Is-Now, Energy if it still exists?

Any more?

Presumably Priti will get one of those..
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

So MP's would have to appeal to electorate and their own members at all times, even if the two are mutually exclusive in their goals? Good luck PLP.

This is what will kill Labour. The members idiotic nonsense that their views and ideas somehow take precedence over constituents. Another example as to how these people don't believe in parliamentary democracy, and actually have an incredible amount of contempt for the working classes. But they'll tell you they 'care' about them. They 'care' enough to put two fingers up to them, and their views....

@Paristonda Interesting. I always thought Mensch was okay with giving up her political career for love? Hadn't she been (allegedly) in love with Peter Mensch for 20+ years as well?
  • Options

We English haven't won any World Cup since the UK joined the EEC.

Just sayin'...
    Rugby World Cup in 2003

T20 World Cup 2010
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Scott_P said:

Yuk - I was quite impressed by Greg Clark, and hope Javid can provide a surer touch at Local Government than he has at Business. Not at all convinced he is the right person for all the planning and housing work, let alone handling councils fed up with being given more central control and less money to deliver it.
  • Options

What's left?

Chief Sec, Leader of the House, Whatever-BIS-Is-Now, Energy if it still exists?

Any more?

Presumably Priti will get one of those..

We might get a token DPM role for someone as well.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Is Grayling pro or anti HS2 do we know?

Will May instruct him to prioritise the northern HS3 instead of the London orientated HS2?

Grayling's first job should be stripping Southern and Southeastern of their rail franchises.
  • Options
    Priti Patel arriving
This discussion has been closed.