Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May’s new cabinet so far, the night and day of the

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698

I was hoping Anna Soubry would get a cabinet job.

Have we done everything now. She seems to have some talent, but maybe a bit too gobby for May's tastes?
    Pretty much coming up all of the roles, and we need to cull a few departments
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 8m8 minutes ago
    Leadsom getting Defra continues theme of "you broke it, you own it" (CAP payments).

V good point. May is making sure if it all goes tits up then the Brexit brigade are all in the front line. Except Hammond, who will have to deal with a balance of payments crisis not of his own making.

That;s true, but I doubt even she could bear giving Cote to a Brexitloon.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217

Is Grayling pro or anti HS2 do we know?

Will May instruct him to prioritise the northern HS3 instead of the London orientated HS2?

Grayling's first job should be stripping Southern and Southeastern of their rail franchises.
    Are you sure that's the end-game the government want?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    JackW said:

Priti Patel arriving

Yay! What will Priti get?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jessicaelgot: This is what @andrealeadsom said about farming subsidies in @guardian EU referendum debate https://t.co/fXJDmvw3OP https://t.co/0Wb4L8KcX7
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

May has created two new departments, so surely she's going to kill two. Which ones? DEFRA and Transport survived. So who else? DECC? DfID?

I wonder if she'll merge Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland Offices with a new 'Department for those bloody annoying Celts'
    Don't abuse the Welsh, please!

Wales voted by almost exactly the same margin as England for Brexit
    Wales reached the Euro 2016 semi-finals
    Wales are now ABOVE England in the FIFA rankings
    Bunch of Ramshaggers who think they are good at Rugby, but how many World Cups have you won?
    We English haven't won any World Cup since the UK joined the EEC.

Just sayin'...
    Rugby World Cup in 2003

T20 World Cup 2010
    Ah, I meant football, not silly sports like Cricket :)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited July 2016

I think Andrea Leadsom at DEFRA is a great appointment, given she taught Old McDonald everything he knew.

"Theresa may have foreign affairs, taxes, public spending, but I have cows"
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576
    Sourby could be DMCS, if it still exists, as she was a TV presenter.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Katie Hopkins will be planning something big to wrest the crown of moronic biliousness back.

https://twitter.com/WelshGasDoc/status/753555816863657984

What is wrong with Louise Mensch?
    As well as being nasty, she's the sort of person who enjoys being talked about. And lo! we are talking about her! It doesn't matter if it's negative talk: it's still putting her at the centre of attention.

A bit like most tw@ts on Twitter.
    I am actually embarrassed to say when she was an MP I used to like her. But now? My god, she comes across as a nut-case. Why you'd want to act like a nut-case purely for attention is anyone's guess.
    I think she's probably bitter at having given up a chance to be in government (and as an A List candidate she was likely to have gone far), to play second fiddle to her husbands career in the US. She seems to be a very angry frustrated woman
    Extraordinary tweet. Cannot think of a single mitigating circumstance. To be so massively offensive in public to a stranger who hadn't even done anything wrong - just astonishing and vile.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GIN1138 said:

LOL at the BBC reporting the ex-Culture Secretary Whittingdale as being 'sacked'. They said that Osborne 'resigned' yesterday....

Whittingdale's got the push? Is Theresa a fan of Strictly? Maybe the prefers Cuban heels for kitten heels? ;)
    If it weren't for Hunt remaining at Health, I'd have said the Prime Minister was getting rid of those ministers who delighted in picking pointless fights.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jessicaelgot: This is what @andrealeadsom said about farming subsidies in @guardian EU referendum debate https://t.co/fXJDmvw3OP https://t.co/0Wb4L8KcX7

Chuckle. Convert your hill farm to butterflies or your subsidy gets it!
  • Options

I think Andrea Leadsom at DEFRA is a great appointment, given she taught Old McDonald everything he knew.

I am most uncharitable to Mrs Leadsom in my weekend piece.
  • Options
    Notice that only just over half of NI was actually EU-friendly at the referendum, and geographically, most of the northeast of the province voted for Brexit.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Damian Green gets Work and Pensions

Tell me this is true. Whoopee. A human in DWP.
    Green is a very nice chap - I have met him.
    Seconded - a contemporary of May at Oxford - got a raw deal under Cameron
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @Morris_Dancer A quote that sums up Mrs Mensch well ;)

@GIN1138 I'm really intrigued to see who will be the next Culture Secretary. So far May seems be shifting the Brexiteers into departments particularly affected by Brexit.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

HaroldO said:

So MP's would have to appeal to electorate and their own members at all times, even if the two are mutually exclusive in their goals? Good luck PLP.

This is what will kill Labour. The members idiotic nonsense that their views and ideas somehow take precedence over constituents. Another example as to how these people don't believe in parliamentary democracy, and actually have an incredible amount of contempt for the working classes. But they'll tell you they 'care' about them. They 'care' enough to put two fingers up to them, and their views....

@Paristonda Interesting. I always thought Mensch was okay with giving up her political career for love? Hadn't she been (allegedly) in love with Peter Mensch for 20+ years as well?
    It's the constituents they are leaving behind I agree, the new members are making it into a members club rather than a political party that has to speak to people that are not part of their core group of supporters.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Sterling up 1.28% to 1.33.

Still good for UK exports at that level.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444

Will May instruct him to prioritise the northern HS3 instead of the London orientated HS2?

Grayling's first job should be stripping Southern and Southeastern of their rail franchises.
    GTR (who operate Southern) have a contract so poor that there is no incentive for them to do anything.

Private contractors can work when given a lengthy contract and scope to innovate such as Chiltern. Ones given no money and a ban on expanding (some contracts have been let allowing for ZERO expansion in passenger numbers) are appalling.

And the best bit is of course that thanks to our insane privatised structure we pay a handsome premium for this fiasco.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Burn the heretic .. :naughty:

• Options

May has created two new departments, so surely she's going to kill two. Which ones? DEFRA and Transport survived. So who else? DECC? DfID?

I wonder if she'll merge Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland Offices with a new 'Department for those bloody annoying Celts'

Bunch of Ramshaggers who think they are good at Rugby, but how many World Cups have you won?

Just sayin'...
    Rugby World Cup in 2003

T20 World Cup 2010
    Golf World Cup in 1998 and 2004.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited July 2016

I don't know why everyone on here hates Andrea L. She just seems like a nice (if rather naive and inexperienced) lady. Can't people just wish her well instead of being nasty.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Just sayin'...
    Rugby World Cup in 2003

T20 World Cup 2010
    Golf World Cup in 1998 and 2004.
    Ahem, the cricket is England and Wales.
  • Options

GTR (who operate Southern) have a contract so poor that there is no incentive for them to do anything.

Private contractors can work when given a lengthy contract and scope to innovate such as Chiltern. Ones given no money and a ban on expanding (some contracts have been let allowing for ZERO expansion in passenger numbers) are appalling.

And the best bit is of course that thanks to our insane privatised structure we pay a handsome premium for this fiasco.
    It's a complete mess.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Indeed. Surely it should be to get the union in and tell them if they don't stop the insurrection then the power to fire all the staff will be handed to GTR.
  • Options

LOL so the Brexitloons get all the departments where it doesn't matter if they fuck up (because she'll just sack them). When it matters, she reaches for a Remainer.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    Very pleased that Greg Clark has gone from DCLG. An absurd situation - developers can overrule residents local councils AND the government. We have had a couple of developments locally opposed by everyone, referred to the SofS who also opposes, only for the developer to use the NPPF to get permission anyway.

Under Clark the only way to stop developers building houses was to let developers build houses
  • Options
    Incoming popcorn:

(((Dan Hodges))) ‏@DPJHodges 2m2 minutes ago
    Told Corbyn going to try to overturn the freeze date decision. He has to. He knows if he doesn't there's a strong chance he'll lose.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

He was my tutorial partner for Modern British Government (lol) with Gillian Peele who was the fun-loving politics don at LMH. OK, he's become a Secretary of State, but I was a Leader!
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 914
    edited July 2016

May is MP for Maidenhead - lots of fed up commuters there -wouldn't be a surprise if the railways got a long overdue sort out. And right under the Heathrow flight path - buy shares in Gatwick.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Sorry, just realised I missed a pun...

"Theresa may have foreign affairs, taxes, public spending, but I have cows, who'll have calves, and that gives me a very real steak in this country's future."
  • Options

They should just nationalise them to TfL like Boris did with WAGN – has been a great success.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Burn the heretic .. :naughty:

Test Cricket is a sport invented, played and watched by people with FAR too much time on their hands.

Sunil says, flicking through his Baker rail atlas...
  • Options
    Buy popcorn for end of July:

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 2m2 minutes ago
    Judge to decide this afternoon if Lab candidate Mike Foster will get hearing last week in July to try & stop Corbyn automatically on ballot
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    From Michael Crick

Some Labour MPs hoping for hustings at PLP Monday lunchtime to hear Angela Eagle & Owen Smith, then maybe secret ballot to pick between them

and

Judge to decide this afternoon if Lab candidate Mike Foster will get hearing last week in July to try & stop Corbyn automatically on ballot
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

I hope so, even Digby Jones said it would mean Birmingham becoming a commuter town of London in support of HS2, not sure if that's what the people of Brum want.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    GIN1138 said:

I don't know why everyone on here hates Andrea L. She just seems like a nice (if rather naive and inexperienced) lady. Can't people just wish her well instead of being nasty.
    Oh the Irony...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Priti Patel arriving

Interesting one. Chief Secretary possible. Don't see her in NI or Culture and IMO too inexperienced for Leader of the Commons.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218

Jobabob said:

Scott_P said:

Green and Hammond both backed Davis in 2005, now more Davisites than Cameroons in the Cabinet it seems
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 8m8 minutes ago
    Leadsom getting Defra continues theme of "you broke it, you own it" (CAP payments).

Repeat after me:

"There is no such thing as EU Money! There is only taxpayers' money!"

One day people will remember we were a net contributor to the EU.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Very pleased that Greg Clark has gone from DCLG. An absurd situation - developers can overrule residents local councils AND the government. We have had a couple of developments locally opposed by everyone, referred to the SofS who also opposes, only for the developer to use the NPPF to get permission anyway.

Under Clark the only way to stop developers building houses was to let developers build houses

That doesn't sound right, unless the developers won a judicial review.
  • Options

Leadsom is now at DEFRA so I hope you don't have any farming or environmental issues coming up before her.
  • Options

Why not just nationalise all commuter rail to TfL with Sadiq ultimately responsible as mayor? Has worked very well where done so far (WAGN, Romford line etc). Makes no sense fragmenting a commuter network. Clear lines of responsibility etc etc.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

They should just nationalise them to TfL like Boris did with WAGN – has been a great success.
    Not WAGN, they haven't been around for a while! I think you mean Abellio Greater Anglia, which lost their northeast London commuter lines to TfL Rail (Shenfield) and London Overground (Enfield Town, Cheshunt, Chingford and Upminster shuttle) last year.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949

Incoming popcorn:

Told Corbyn going to try to overturn the freeze date decision. He has to. He knows if he doesn't there's a strong chance he'll lose.

After the past few weeks Dan Hodges should just get off Twitter and shut the hell up for a bit (as should Louise Mensch to be fair)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

From Michael Crick

Some Labour MPs hoping for hustings at PLP Monday lunchtime to hear Angela Eagle & Owen Smith, then maybe secret ballot to pick between them

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1rHQj7P5c

Mind the windows !
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Can we have a minister for making cricketers bowl 15 fecking overs an hour?

How hard can it be? We manage 17-18 on a Sunday even including looking for the ball in the hedge quite a lot :-)
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Not WAGN, they haven't been around for a while! I think you mean Abellio Greater Anglia, which lost their northeast London commuter lines to TfL Rail (Shenfield) and London Overground (Enfield Town, Cheshunt, Chingford and Upminster shuttle) last year.
    Sorry you are right, thanks for the correction, I do indeed mean Abellio Greater Anglia.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    edited July 2016

HYUFD said:

Never mind 'night of the long knives' more like 'bonfire of the Cameroons'! Osborne, Gove, Letwin, Morgan all sacked, Boles and Cameron resign, Davis, Fox, Green, Leadsom all promoted to Cabinet.

As Neil Kinnock once said: we've got our party back. Remember for many Tories, the Cameroons were interlopers who'd taken over the party, not only politically (like Blair and New Labour) but also socially: the Notting Hill and Chipping Norton sets, a weakness for Old Etonians and so on.
    Indeed the cavalier New Labour and Cameroon era is now dead, long live the roundhead Mayites and Corbyn and Smithites!
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Priti Patel arriving

Interesting one. Chief Secretary possible. Don't see her in NI or Culture and IMO too inexperienced for Leader of the Commons.
    Something to do with Brexit?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Why not just nationalise all commuter rail to TfL with Sadiq ultimately responsible as mayor? Has worked very well where done so far (WAGN, Romford line etc). Makes no sense fragmenting a commuter network. Clear lines of responsibility etc etc.
  • Options
    Obama's lot following through on the NATO summit side-bar talks. Jack Lew (US Treasury)

"We believe that it is in the best interests of Europe, of the United States and the global economy to end up with a result that produces a highly integrated relationship between the UK and the EU," he said of negotiations on Britain leaving the EU.

We think it is critical that negotiations take place in a pragmatic, transparent and smooth manner where both sides to demonstrate flexibility in order to produce results that are the right outcome"
  • Options

Can we have a minister for making cricketers bowl 15 fecking overs an hour?

How hard can it be? We manage 17-18 on a Sunday even including looking for the ball in the hedge quite a lot :-)

Simple way, fine the bowling side 20 runs for every over they fall short and we'd be having 20 overs per hour in test cricet
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926
    Having Boris and Greening in senior cabinet positions probably means no Heathrow expansion? Or a further delay?

I think both have pledged to resign if that happened... wouldn't exactly look good to lose two Cabinet appointments just after making them.

Although even if that did happen TM could still favourably compare her attrition rate to Jeremy Corbyn's!
  • Options
    Brokenshire to NI.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Incoming popcorn:

After the past few weeks Dan Hodges should just get off Twitter and shut the hell up for a bit (as should Louise Mensch to be fair)
    Exactly. He's been like Mystic Meg gone wrong. Didn't he also tell us a week or so ago that Corbyn wanted to leave but Seamus Milne etc was pushing him to stay? It's quite clear that Corbyn never wanted to go in the first place.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

I hope so, even Digby Jones said it would mean Birmingham becoming a commuter town of London in support of HS2, not sure if that's what the people of Brum want.
    Even now I can get to Brum from London in 82 minutes, that's not too bad considering journey times in most of Kent and Sussex which are geographically much closer to London.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2016
    Crickey may is making Osborne chopper look tiny...abolishing lots of nonsense departments.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Karen Bradley arriving now. 2010 MP - another mate of May from the HO.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Incoming popcorn:

Exactly. He's been like Mystic Meg gone wrong. Didn't he also tell us a week or so ago that Corbyn wanted to leave but Seamus Milne etc was pushing him to stay? It's quite clear that Corbyn never wanted to go in the first place.
    Evidence? Nick Watt said on Newsnight the other day that that is precisely what happened. He was talked out of walking by Milne and McD.
  • Options
    nunu said:

We are so southeast-centric in this country it's laughable. As it happens to be my neck of the woods, I'd be happy with other regions receiving far more of the focus, if nothing else to relieve the pressure on public services, roads, greenbelts etc here. Making it easier for Brummies to get to London should not be the focus; the focus should be on boosting jobs, opportunities, life in general in the Midlands - and in the northwest, northeast etc etc.
  • Options
    This is certainly a Friends of Theresa administration....it almost, not quite, smacks of cronyism!

And with Davis, Fox and now Green, as well as the lady herself, isn't this the young, thrusting, dynamic Conservative adminstration formed in circa 2002?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

This is pre-Brexit thinking. There's going to be less economic activity, fewer people, less money. You just don't need as much infrastructure as you would have.

That said, how are people in Britain getting their internet of they don't have fibre? It's not still going over1890s-standard copper wire is it?

Yes it is! Fibre broadband infrastructure is mainly rolled out by private monopoly BT Openreach. In practice it means things like this - my estate was built from 2005 and is 700 mainly middle-class style homes. Openreach did their Broadband survey in 2004. According to them - and I asked them - we don't exist on their map which is why they won't upgrade our cabinet despite having done the ones on either side.

Supposedly private industry removes idiotic state monolith thinking. With BT it got worse. But despite the huge economic benefits of superfast - people can work from home more and travel less - its getting rolled out at snails pace.
    My entire town is still waiting for fibre. And it's only 60 miles outside London, hardly a remote corner of England.
    I live in a house built in 2013 in a major city. We get 1.5 to 5 meg through BT. The developers didn't bother working with any other providers to enable cable services, so we are stuck with BT. BT won't upgrade the cabinets. I live 1.5 miles from the city centre.
    I live miles outside London, in a run down house from the 1850s. My broadband works fine :)
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Does anyone know if we will get the junior minister announcements today?
  • Options
    John_M said:

Brokenshire to NI.

NI's seventh county?

(I'll get me coat...)
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

That doesn't sound right to me - developers would have had to take SoS to judicial review to overturn SoS refusal. Any links?

Yes, the system is biased in developers favour, but if the council has an up to date local plan and 5 year land supply, then local authorities have a sure footing in rejecting speculative applications.
  • Options

nunu said:

Even now I can get to Brum from London in 82 minutes, that's not too bad considering journey times in most of Kent and Sussex which are geographically much closer to London.
    It's only a couple of hours from darkest Newport. Perhaps there's an argument that we should be contriving to make it so people don't either want or need to go to London?
  • Options

John_M said:

Brokenshire to NI.

NI's seventh county?

(I'll get me coat...)
    That was quite good!
  • Options
    Is there anything left in the Business Dept for a ministerial appointment?

Trade gone to Fox.

Higher Education and apprentices to Education.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rkrkrk said:

Having Boris and Greening in senior cabinet positions probably means no Heathrow expansion? Or a further delay?

I think both have pledged to resign if that happened... wouldn't exactly look good to lose two Cabinet appointments just after making them.

That was the old Boris, though. One shouldn't assume that on any subject he thinks the same thing as he did a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Charles said:

This is pre-Brexit thinking. There's going to be less economic activity, fewer people, less money. You just don't need as much infrastructure as you would have.

That said, how are people in Britain getting their internet of they don't have fibre? It's not still going over1890s-standard copper wire is it?

Yes it is! Fibre broadband infrastructure is mainly rolled out by private monopoly BT Openreach. In practice it means things like this - my estate was built from 2005 and is 700 mainly middle-class style homes. Openreach did their Broadband survey in 2004. According to them - and I asked them - we don't exist on their map which is why they won't upgrade our cabinet despite having done the ones on either side.

Supposedly private industry removes idiotic state monolith thinking. With BT it got worse. But despite the huge economic benefits of superfast - people can work from home more and travel less - its getting rolled out at snails pace.
    My entire town is still waiting for fibre. And it's only 60 miles outside London, hardly a remote corner of England.
    I live in a house built in 2013 in a major city. We get 1.5 to 5 meg through BT. The developers didn't bother working with any other providers to enable cable services, so we are stuck with BT. BT won't upgrade the cabinets. I live 1.5 miles from the city centre.
    I live miles outside London, in a run down house from the 1850s. My broadband works fine :)
    Stourhead ?
  • Options

Sourby could be DMCS, if it still exists, as she was a TV presenter.

Sourby is too much a sourpuss for culture surely?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

This is certainly a Friends of Theresa administration....it almost, not quite, smacks of cronyism!

And with Davis, Fox and now Green, as well as the lady herself, isn't this the young, thrusting, dynamic Conservative adminstration formed in circa 2002?

I wouldn't mind if they were brimming with obvious talent - but Brokenshire? Seriously? Who is Karen Bradley - I've never heard of her.

My jury is still out.
  • Options
    Unite continue on the warpath. Just in case we were getting bored:

https://twitter.com/conradlandin/status/753588245414440961
  • Options

Trade gone to Fox.

weights and measures?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

That was the old Boris, though. One shouldn't assume that on any subject he thinks the same thing as he did a few weeks ago.
    He'll be out of the country on the day the decision is made no doubt. Having flown.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Incoming popcorn:

Evidence? Nick Watt said on Newsnight the other day that that is precisely what happened. He was talked out of walking by Milne and McD.
    If he really wanted to go, why didn't he when offered a route by Tom Watson? I also thought Hodges reported that even McDonnell wanted Corbyn to go.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578

Leadsom is now at DEFRA so I hope you don't have any farming or environmental issues coming up before her.
    Main thing is she can take the flak when all the sceptic farmers and fisherfolk see their EU subsidies disappearing
  • Options
    Brokenshire NI
  • Options
    John_M said:

nunu said:

It's only a couple of hours from darkest Newport. Perhaps there's an argument that we should be contriving to make it so people don't either want or need to go to London?
    I actually visited Newport station last Friday week (going from Brum to London), and last Tuesday week (going from London to Brum), my first visit to a Welsh train station since I did the Snowdon Railway in 1997 :)

I left Brum at 3.30pm got to Paddington at 7.30pm
    Then on the return, left Paddington at 11.45am, got to Brum at 3.40pm.
  • Options

Trade gone to Fox.

weights and measures?
    Back to good old imperial now we are out of EU ;-)
  • Options

Trade gone to Fox.

weights and measures?
    Isn't that local council responsibilty nowadays?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Just need Alan Duncan and Quentin Davies back
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Jobabob said:

Er, we had something of that kind with BR:
    Inter-City
    Network South-East
    All other provincial lines.

If I use a train, I'm paying my fare to a nationalised railway. Deutsche Bahn owns Arriva Trains Wales and at least one other franchise.

By returning expired franchises to an integrated government-owned body, the system could slowly be reunified and any profits could go to the Treasury, not the German govt.(!)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

JohnO said:

I wouldn't mind if they were brimming with obvious talent - but Brokenshire? Seriously? Who is Karen Bradley - I've never heard of her.

My jury is still out.
    It's solid bordering on stolid.

If I were one of the young able Ministers of State from the talented 2010 intake, I'd be feeling more than a bit cheesed off...
  • Options

JohnO said:

Just need Alan Duncan and Quentin Davies back
    Duncan must be due a reward surely?
  • Options
    Team sky showing they are the dogs bollocks again today in the tour de France.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Greg Clark Business and Energy
  • Options

A cow at the farming brief........
    ............just joking.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578

rkrkrk said:

Boris's own seat is probably pro-Heathrow, given that many of his constituents are employed there, directly or indirectly. Now he he is no longer London mayor chasing the votes of people from Richmond and Chiswick, I can't see any downside for Boris if he forgets his opposition to extra capacity there?
  • Options
    Greg Clark is Business Secretary.
  • Options
    Thinking about Quentin Davies, I was way way way too harsh on Mark Reckless.
  • Options
    John_M said:

nunu said:

Exactly.
  • Options
    Sir_GeoffSir_Geoff Posts: 41
    On the topic of Heathrow: it was noticable that on R4 this morning, when asked about the airport decision, he did default to calling it the third runway, then corrected himself.

As for Minister for over rates, I concur. May is a cricket fan, I believe.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    JohnO said:

Sir Alan Duncan is about the only contemporary who springs to mind who hasn't got anything....yet (tho he was never quite the sharpest knife in the drawer....)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    When will the mandatory re-selection decision be made, and could a new leader veto it?
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Er, we had something of that kind with BR:
    Inter-City
    Network South-East
    All other provincial lines.

If I use a train, I'm paying my fare to a nationalised railway. Deutsche Bahn owns Arriva Trains Wales and at least one other franchise.

By returning expired franchises to an integrated government-owned body, the system could slowly be reunified and any profits could go to the Treasury, not the German govt.(!)
    But then we take away the drive to improve that the private sector has brought to the process. If the railways had stayed nationalised would they have expanded like they have in the last 20 years?
    What needs to happen is a clear plan of how to at least bring the current system under control, if this requires more state control then I am happy but I don't think governmental control is a panacea.
  • Options
    Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy? Woah. I'm giddy.
  • Options
    Greg Clark - Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Greg Clark is Business Secretary.

A true non-job at the moment. Surprised to see that it hasn't been merged into energy and transport.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

JohnO said:

Sir Alan Duncan is about the only contemporary who springs to mind who hasn't got anything....yet (tho he was never quite the sharpest knife in the drawer....)
    LoL and out with the Bullingdon in with the Oxford Union Hilary 1975-Trinity 1977 Cabinet.
This discussion has been closed.