Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the early favourite in the Labour leadership contest

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

MaxPB said:

once the next major international event takes place he will be back to doing what he does best

Let's hope that next major international event isn't of the major armed conflict type.
    You don't suppose the PM would get involved? :p
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669

MaxPB said:

once the next major international event takes place he will be back to doing what he does best

Let's hope that next major international event isn't of the major armed conflict type.
    He'll be fine.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Mr. Bob, no. I've been on remarkably few holidays.

I've also never had the chance to meet Aurelian, not Zhuge Liang, nor even Hannibal, though I'll still pontificate on them if I want to.

For that matter, I've never even been to an F1 race :)

I went to one years ago and TBH, it was really boring most of the time. And VERY loud.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399

Mr. Divvie, the equivalent of frog is rosbif.

Your comparison is as flawed as SNP MPs whining about not being allowed to clap all the time in the Commons, then refusing to do so when Cameron left on the basis they couldn't do it every day.

Of course, one realises your desire for an Auld Alliance to be reborn may be colouring your judgement of jesting about the French :p

Lumbering analogy alert.

Where does 'scum' come in your glossary of the acceptable?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

MaxPB said:

Indigo said:

JackW said:

Sky News speculating that Leadsom will be bumped up from MoS at Energy to SoS. Also Grayling to Deputy PM role.

The former is plausible but I'm not sure about the later, although Grayling has missed a top job.

Grayling for Chief Whip basically her right hand man ? Is it possible to be Chief Whip and DPM ?

There were suggestions in the papers that there is going to be more restructuring of departments today as well.
    Given that Fox is now effectively trade secretary, what's the need for BIS, she might just get rid of it altogether and hand out the work to other departments, though she is said to favour an "industrial strategy" so she may remake it.
    Aren't universities going back to Education? Or was that another rumour? We do need a DTI type role for domestic stuff/infrastructure
    I really hope so, as someone who works in one, it was a horrible mistake by Brown to split schools and universities.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

I've also never had the chance to meet Aurelian, not Zhuge Liang, nor even Hannibal, though I'll still pontificate on them if I want to.

Stands to reason. Get your sen to France and have a look around. Meet the people. Enjoy the sunshine. Drink the wine. Admire the women. Gorge upon the food.

Then perhaps you'll stop being so dull about a country you have never even visited, despite its being a very short hop over a small stretch of water.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Miss Plato, that's the thing, I'm not fond of crowds or loud noise. And I am the most poor of poor people, and tickets can be pricey.

Which race was it? I have memories of someone attending Singapore, but I think that was someone else (I know Mr. Sandpit's been to a few).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Mr. Bob, my French comment was wry and not intended for serious consumption.

On the 'allies' point, we do co-operate closely on military matters but it's worth noting the frogs are very much against achieving a good deal with the UK.

So you are calling them frogs now? I normally enjoy your posts but to be honest this francophobic thing you have going on does you no credit.

Learn a bit of French, go to France on holiday, chat to the people, bask in the sunshine, drink the wine, enjoy the food. You'll soon learn. Visit London while you are at it. There are 200,000 French people in our city and its much the richer for them.
    Boris does all of those things, regularly. He is the most cultured and open of our politicians. He will be a very good FS, especially now that the hard work parts have been handed to Davis and Fox.
    I said last night that to his credit he is a cultured guy who speaks fluent French and Italian and is a francophile and lover of Europe, its food, wine and women. That's good. But he is also very accident prone and he will make an embarrassing mistake at some point and yet again will require sacking. He is also bone idle and – as he has a young family – probably not suited to spending most of his time out of the country!
    Which is why Mrs May has been very shrewd and handed the actual work off to those more likely to do it. Unless he has an affair with the Chinese Premier's wife then I think he'll be fine!
    Don't speak of the devil, Max!!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    PlatoSaid said:

Read elsewhere that Boris played a backchannel role between May/Leadsom teams in the days before the result. Grayling of course was a big May man in the last few days and a frontman for her.

For a man written off as a complete idiot by many on here for years - if he became DPM, that'd be rather entertaining.

Hunt's also been out and about before the cameras. He's previously said he didn't want another portfolio after Health - but who knows anything anymore. We've shaken the political kaleidoscope.

It appears Boris was shocked to get the call to Downing Street last night, speculating only a hour before that he expected nothing !!

Grayling is a bit of a dark horse. I'm not sure where to place him. To me Hunt has seemed a little demob happy in the past few days. Cameron stuck with him but I wonder whether May will put a new (female) face into Health, possibly Greening and he'll go to the backbenches.

• Options

Your comparison is as flawed as SNP MPs whining about not being allowed to clap all the time in the Commons, then refusing to do so when Cameron left on the basis they couldn't do it every day.

Of course, one realises your desire for an Auld Alliance to be reborn may be colouring your judgement of jesting about the French :p

Lumbering analogy alert.

If used after the word 'Tory'?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

On the 'allies' point, we do co-operate closely on military matters but it's worth noting the frogs are very much against achieving a good deal with the UK.

So you are calling them frogs now? I normally enjoy your posts but to be honest this francophobic thing you have going on does you no credit.

Learn a bit of French, go to France on holiday, chat to the people, bask in the sunshine, drink the wine, enjoy the food. You'll soon learn. Visit London while you are at it. There are 200,000 French people in our city and its much the richer for them.
    Boris does all of those things, regularly. He is the most cultured and open of our politicians. He will be a very good FS, especially now that the hard work parts have been handed to Davis and Fox.
    I said last night that to his credit he is a cultured guy who speaks fluent French and Italian and is a francophile and lover of Europe, its food, wine and women. That's good. But he is also very accident prone and he will make an embarrassing mistake at some point and yet again will require sacking. He is also bone idle and – as he has a young family – probably not suited to spending most of his time out of the country!
    I do not understand this "bone idle" thing at all, least of all from people like me who fritter their time away on PB. You don't get to or stay where Boris is without hard work, unless you are an hereditary crown prince. I would think he gets more done on a day off than I do in a year. London does not run itself, firsts at Oxford do not award themselves, Telegraph columns do not write themselves.

What I understand even less is Boris throwing in the towel on the leadership. I had this down to a serious skeleton in a closet but that now looks a bum theory.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Jobabob said:

Hmm. If the French are annoyed by Boris' appointment that suggests it may have been a good move.

Why? Why have you got this obsession with 'The French'? They are [...] our allies.
    Well, it's a view.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Bob,

I've visited France several times. There are nice areas. The only problem with Paris is that it's full of Frogs.

Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    theakes said:

Apparently there is a IPSOS MORI poll taken 8th - 11th July, Lib Dems on 11% and UKIP on 8%.
    How long since Lib Dems in 3rd place?

In an opinion poll, praps - but likely not in the real world.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

I went to one years ago and TBH, it was really boring most of the time. And VERY loud.
    I suspect, having been to a practice day, and from knowing a lot of people who go, thats it's one of those things one should do once!
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, 'scum' is acceptable when applied to those who plot to use or actually use the most vile smears about political rivals, or who do likewise regarding allegedly intelligence reports to provoke the country to go to war.

Mr. Bob, you seem to think I dislike France. I don't. I just enjoy general mockery (you must have noticed the back-and-forth between myself, Mr. Eagles and Mr. Llama on classical history. Do you actually think I dislike them?).
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

"It's dull, to be honest."

Pretentious? Moi? From Fawlty Towers circa 1970s.

Here's a tip. Free from me. When you meet French people, don't call them frogs. Saying, "hello frog, just joking" doesn't help either.

As I say, you can have that one for free. You are a lucky guy.
  • Options

Chairman of the Con Party was being suggested for Mr Grayling yesterday. (I think everyone is just assuming he's going to get something!)

Ms May seems to want to pursue a policy of cheap energy, rather than (expensive) green energy. I'm not sure Ms Leadsom would be the person for that. She seems to be onboard with the green agenda.

I thought Boris would get party chairman within the Cabinet and Grayling as Foreign Secretary. Leadsom into the cabinet appears likely but one of the more junior roles.

• Options
    Grayling for Chief Whip?
  • Options

Miss Plato, that's the thing, I'm not fond of crowds or loud noise. And I am the most poor of poor people, and tickets can be pricey.

Which race was it? I have memories of someone attending Singapore, but I think that was someone else (I know Mr. Sandpit's been to a few).

British - the weather was awful too. I can't remember who won. Took ages to get in/out, wandered about, got bored/ate ice cream/drank, bought overpriced tat for something to do...

My hubby's been to a load of them - he does karting and whatever the bottom run of the F sport is.

I knew Bernie's Ops Dir - he'd fly in, do his job and immediately fly home - even from Oz. He never watched a race.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, 'scum' is acceptable when applied to those who plot to use or actually use the most vile smears about political rivals, or who do likewise regarding allegedly intelligence reports to provoke the country to go to war.

Mr. Bob, you seem to think I dislike France. I don't. I just enjoy general mockery (you must have noticed the back-and-forth between myself, Mr. Eagles and Mr. Llama on classical history. Do you actually think I dislike them?).

I have numerous French friends and I would never call them frogs, ever. I suggest if you ever get off your backside, out of your own backyard, and meet some, you don't either.

That advice is gratuit.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I just am praying that Matt Hancock,Ed Vaizey and Gavin Barwell are all kicked out..All are self serving lickspittles
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    Mortimer: number of local by elections today, three in the West country, see how they go.
    Lib Dems did make a Town Council gain in Shepton Mallet on Tuesday. Might be a sign of them moving up, might not.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

Sorry Charles, but I fear you're wrong.

If it is a sinecure as you claim (and I really think you're wrong on that), then the post should be abolished. In the meantime he could do enormous damage in his usual charming manner.

BTW, are you still supporting the Garden Bridge?

No need to apologise for disagreeing with me.

I'm a fan of the Garden Bridge - we need to leave treasures behind to improve London rather than just focusing on the utilitarian. But Khan's killed it, I think.
    But it wasn't going to be a 'treasure': it was a rich mans' plaything, an idea that was scrabbling around for a purpose.

Things that have a defined and required purpose do not need to be 'utilitarian': they can also be beautiful. London is filled with things that were built for a defined purpose and yet are also beautiful. Sometimes the purpose enhances the beauty. Function enhancing form.

The Garden Bridge's beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but it's purpose is non-existent. A new bridge in London that would not allow cyclists seems broken at the beginning. And that leaves out the extortionate cost.

If Khan has killed it, then he's already done the London taxpayers a favour.
    I hadn't realise it did not allow cyclists. Kill it if so.
    They'll have to push their bikes over, with steps and a lift up (I think due to the restricted space on the northern side). That is, they'll be allowed to when it's not closed to the public for 'events'.
    Another shambles, then. A living, breathing manifestation of the oppressive "cyclists dismount" sign. I don't, by the way.
    I cannot see the point of taxpayers putting tens of millions into a bridge that is in the wrong place, massively overpriced compared to other bridges, and does not perform the basic functions that a modern bridge in London should. Oh, and which will cost millions to maintain per year.

There are plenty of other planned bridges in London that are in locations where there is both more need (e.g. no other bridges nearby) and are better suited for the public.

Given the concentration on cyclists in London in recent years, the idea of a bridge being pedestrian-only is rather nuts.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/new-river-crossings-for-london?cid=new-river-crossings
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

Lumbering analogy alert.

If used after the word 'Tory'?
    Not on here.
    Though I realise it's a safe space for the right..
  • Options

Mr. Spencer, to be fair, Charlemagne probably improved things, whereas Napoleon and Hitler were just after conquest.

That's probably why it's called the Charlemagne Prize and not the Napoleon Prize (cf. Yes Minister)!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Charles said:

If it is a sinecure as you claim (and I really think you're wrong on that), then the post should be abolished. In the meantime he could do enormous damage in his usual charming manner.

I'm a fan of the Garden Bridge - we need to leave treasures behind to improve London rather than just focusing on the utilitarian. But Khan's killed it, I think.
    But it wasn't going to be a 'treasure': it was a rich mans' plaything, an idea that was scrabbling around for a purpose.

Things that have a defined and required purpose do not need to be 'utilitarian': they can also be beautiful. London is filled with things that were built for a defined purpose and yet are also beautiful. Sometimes the purpose enhances the beauty. Function enhancing form.

The Garden Bridge's beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but it's purpose is non-existent. A new bridge in London that would not allow cyclists seems broken at the beginning. And that leaves out the extortionate cost.

A space where you can walk in London WITHOUT cyclists would be a wondrous thing in itself....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It really doesn't matter what the French think about Boris, or the anyone else for that matter. The job is there as a sop to the Brexit right, the important parts of it have been given to more serious politicians, Davis and Fox. Boris is there to go and speak French and Latin to the rest of the world and do what Boris did so well for London. Drum up business and show that we are still an open country. Like him or hate him, he is cultured, educated and can turn a phrase. His reputation may be a little bit bruised, but once the next major international event takes place he will be back to doing what he does best. Boris will Boris his way through the world, and that's no bad thing.

Exactly - The voice of reason in a town of buttermilk minds.
    He's in there to entertain the Chinese predominantly, I assume. Most of the job has been given to more serious people. Part of me also thinks she's banking on him making a big gaffe, so he can be sacked early on.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

They'll have to push their bikes over, with steps and a lift up (I think due to the restricted space on the northern side). That is, they'll be allowed to when it's not closed to the public for 'events'.
    Another shambles, then. A living, breathing manifestation of the oppressive "cyclists dismount" sign. I don't, by the way.
    I cannot see the point of taxpayers putting tens of millions into a bridge that is in the wrong place, massively overpriced compared to other bridges, and does not perform the basic functions that a modern bridge in London should. Oh, and which will cost millions to maintain per year.

There are plenty of other planned bridges in London that are in locations where there is both more need (e.g. no other bridges nearby) and are better suited for the public.

Given the concentration on cyclists in London in recent years, the idea of a bridge being pedestrian-only is rather nuts.

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/new-river-crossings-for-london?cid=new-river-crossings
    Indeed. Given the complete lack of bridges in the east of the city, Boris should perhaps instead have put his brilliant mind to that, rather than building a pointless cable car gimmick.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday she had invited Britain's new prime minister Theresa May for talks in Berlin and that she was looking forward to working with her.

"It's our task to work very closely with governments of ally countries," Merkel told a news conference after talks in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, adding there were many problems in the world that made such close cooperation necessary.

The chancellor said she spoke to May on the phone late on Wednesday and invited her for talks in Berlin. "I look forward to working together," she added.

Merkel declined to comment on May's surprise decision to appoint Boris Johnson, a leading Brexit campaigner who had until recently been seen as her main rival for the prime minister's job, as foreign secretary.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-germany-may-idUSKCN0ZU0J1

No, Mr Juncker, you weren't invited.

Yes, I will talk to Mrs May if I want to....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192
    Ishmael_X said:

firsts at Oxford do not award themselves,

True, and it's a pity because Boris was disappointed with his Upper Second.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    JackW said:

Sky News speculating that Leadsom will be bumped up from MoS at Energy to SoS. Also Grayling to Deputy PM role.

The former is plausible but I'm not sure about the later, although Grayling has missed a top job.

Given DPM is a "non-job" I think Grayling could do it just fine. Wasn't it first created to soothe Helsetine's ego after he failed to become PM?

I mean, if Prezza can be DPM anybody can...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

Chairman of the Con Party was being suggested for Mr Grayling yesterday. (I think everyone is just assuming he's going to get something!)

Ms May seems to want to pursue a policy of cheap energy, rather than (expensive) green energy. I'm not sure Ms Leadsom would be the person for that. She seems to be onboard with the green agenda.

I thought Boris would get party chairman within the Cabinet and Grayling as Foreign Secretary. Leadsom into the cabinet appears likely but one of the more junior roles.

In the kremlin bit of the Specator podcast they speculated that one reason to give Mr Johnson the Foreign Sec role was that it would prevent him:
    1. socialising with Con MPs
    2. touring the Conservative Associations.

Party Chairman was considered an absolute no-no, as it would give Mr Johnson a chance to butter up the (voting) membership.

-----

The fact that Mr Grayling seems to be such a close ally of Ms May perhaps makes Party Chairman a more likely role for him.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

I suspect, having been to a practice day, and from knowing a lot of people who go, thats it's one of those things one should do once!
    My other half tried to persuade me to go camping at Le Mans 24 - err no thanks. He wanted to be right next to the track...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    "The United States would always be able to work with British officials because of its "deep, abiding" relationship with Britain, said State Department spokesman Mark Toner, who appeared to stifle a laugh when told of the appointment."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/14/us-state-department-spokesman-reacts-to-boris-johnson-appointmen/
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr Bob,

Having visited Brussels several times, I find the French speakers friendly and welcoming. In Paris, they pretend not to understand my limited French (not that I blame them) and are generally much ruder.

What is your opinion of the Frogs in Paris?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

I have numerous French friends and I would never call them frogs, ever. I suggest if you ever get off your backside, out of your own backyard, and meet some, you don't either.

That advice is gratuit.
    gratuitous
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, what does the bridge do that requires millions of pounds of maintenance each year?

That sounds demented [the cost, not your claim].

Miss Plato, safety car stays out too much in wet weather now. Apparently the transport links to/from Silverstone are a bit ropey. It's a good circuit but was a shade disappointing this year.
  • Options

"The United States would always be able to work with British officials because of its "deep, abiding" relationship with Britain, said State Department spokesman Mark Toner, who appeared to stifle a laugh when told of the appointment."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/14/us-state-department-spokesman-reacts-to-boris-johnson-appointmen/

Yes, and most of their work will be with Fox and Davis, both of them avowed transatliticists.
  • Options

I only use scum to describe the stuff that floats on bath water. I'm so out of touch with popular culture.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Ishmael_X said:

What I understand even less is Boris throwing in the towel on the leadership. I had this down to a serious skeleton in a closet but that now looks a bum theory.

I think Theresa made him an offer and he considered that a few pleasant years in the FO learning his trade and growing some credibility, whilst gadding around the world drinking lot of champers at other people's expense sounded quite attractive next to being the PM through the bloody business of negotiating BrExit, and sets him up nicely to follow May in 7-8 years time.

• Options

Charles said:

A space where you can walk in London WITHOUT cyclists would be a wondrous thing in itself....
    Well, that's one view. ;)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    timmo said:

I just am praying that Matt Hancock,Ed Vaizey and Gavin Barwell are all kicked out..All are self serving lickspittles

Hard to disagree, Hancock is the absolute pits. Complete sycophant, just looking at him makes me cross!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044

If your spread bets on the second half of the season do well, you should treat yourself to a ticket for Silverstone next year. It's a great weekend out (and do stay for the weekend, 'cos the traffic is usually chaos especially if it rains!) although the new fangled hybrid cars are much too quiet compared to their predecessors!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

Having visited Brussels several times, I find the French speakers friendly and welcoming. In Paris, they pretend not to understand my limited French (not that I blame them) and are generally much ruder.

Having lived in Brussels (in French speaking Ixelles) I would echo that sentiment - my French perfectly serviceable in Brussels - but get on the train to Paris, and by the time I got there it was 'comment? que'est qui'il a dit?'

Francophone & phile friend lived in Paris and loathed the Parisians....
  • Options
    timmo said:

I'm wondering what Soubry will get. Hopefully nothing that involves appearing on the TV.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    geoffw said:

Jobabob said:

That advice is gratuit.
    gratuitous
    Bloody metropolitan liberals shamelessly spouting their furrin filth..
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Trump has jut inched ahead of Clinton in some key swing states, I think the US State Department might be a touch less smug very soon.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @chrisshipitv: Michael Gove will not be offered a government job, I understand. He'll be off to the backbenches. With George. And Dave.

There's a word I am searching for here...
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

Gosh, started reading that and thought it was about the Humber bridge :grin:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It really doesn't matter what the French think about Boris, or the anyone else for that matter. The job is there as a sop to the Brexit right, the important parts of it have been given to more serious politicians, Davis and Fox. Boris is there to go and speak French and Latin to the rest of the world and do what Boris did so well for London. Drum up business and show that we are still an open country. Like him or hate him, he is cultured, educated and can turn a phrase. His reputation may be a little bit bruised, but once the next major international event takes place he will be back to doing what he does best. Boris will Boris his way through the world, and that's no bad thing.

Exactly - The voice of reason in a town of buttermilk minds.
    He's in there to entertain the Chinese predominantly, I assume. Most of the job has been given to more serious people. Part of me also thinks she's banking on him making a big gaffe, so he can be sacked early on.
    I don't think you appoint someone in the hope of them making a gaffe. There's plenty of reasons for him being offered the job, but given his gaffe prone past is linked to his popularity I suspect he has more room to manoeuvre than others.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Indigo said:

Ishmael_X said:

I think Theresa made him an offer and he considered that a few pleasant years in the FO learning his trade and growing some credibility, whilst gadding around the world drinking lot of champers at other people's expense sounded quite attractive next to being the PM through the bloody business of negotiating BrExit, and sets him up nicely to follow May in 7-8 years time.

I see you also think we're a one-party State now...

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

timmo said:

I'm wondering what Soubry will get. Hopefully nothing that involves appearing on the TV.
    Minister for snobbery
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We know that the French think he is ridiculous. It's a common reaction abroad, it seems. And that does not matter. Instead, what is important diplomatically is their reaction to the fact he was appointed. What does that make them think about the person who appointed him and the government she will run? Of course, it will be all smiles and fine words in public. What happens behind close doors is what counts though. We shall see.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

Having lived in Brussels (in French speaking Ixelles) I would echo that sentiment - my French perfectly serviceable in Brussels - but get on the train to Paris, and by the time I got there it was 'comment? que'est qui'il a dit?'

Did you just out yourself there old chap?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Polruan said:

Polruan said:

Morning all.

I would suggest the market prediction for Owen Smith (who he? ed) is based on early punters snapping him up at decent odds, rather than any realistic hope that he’d beat Jeremy Corbyn.

And wishful thinking. Corbyn will walk the vote. Labour is keen now to be a political movement rather than a Parliamentary party that aspires to govern.

It doesn't get any truer no matter how often you assert it. Labour is keen to govern as a Parliamentary movement with an authentic left-of-centre social democratic agenda. It doesn't aspire to govern regardless of what principles must be abandoned in order to claw its way to power. This is not the paradigmatic difference that it suits the right to allege: no (decent) person would aspire to govern at all costs, and the differences within the movement are simply quantitative (what cost to our principles is acceptable?) rather that qualitative (do we even want to prioritise governing?)

Movement, yes; party, no. In a Parliamentary partyLabour candidates from thereon in.

SNIP

Fair enough. I do see Corbyn as the impediment. Except at the edges - as is the case with all parties - there is clearly a programme and plan that all could unite around. As you observe, the differences policies wise between Smith and JC are minimal (except Trident). I suspect they will go head to head, but that Corbyn will win. Looks like we agree on what that will lead to.

As for May, it's always best to judge politicians on what they do, not what they say!

Corbyn will win. The simple truth is look at the worst possible outcome for the party, and back that. The Labour Party will always choose the path that is to its greatest disadvantage.

Back Corbyn.

Yep - my thinking exactly.

• Options

Mr. Jessop, what does the bridge do that requires millions of pounds of maintenance each year?

That sounds demented [the cost, not your claim].

Miss Plato, safety car stays out too much in wet weather now. Apparently the transport links to/from Silverstone are a bit ropey. It's a good circuit but was a shade disappointing this year.

The maintenance costs are estimated at a minimum of £2 million a year. Given the bathtub-curve profile that typifies maintenance costs (large costs at first as snags are fixed, then minimal costs, then more as the structure ages) it's going to be more.

Allegedly they had the maintenance costs held in a fund, but that's beside the point.

It'd be good to know how much the Millennium Bridge costs to maintain per year - I haven't been able to find the figures.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday she had invited Britain's new prime minister Theresa May for talks in Berlin and that she was looking forward to working with her.

"It's our task to work very closely with governments of ally countries," Merkel told a news conference after talks in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, adding there were many problems in the world that made such close cooperation necessary.

The chancellor said she spoke to May on the phone late on Wednesday and invited her for talks in Berlin. "I look forward to working together," she added.

Merkel declined to comment on May's surprise decision to appoint Boris Johnson, a leading Brexit campaigner who had until recently been seen as her main rival for the prime minister's job, as foreign secretary.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-germany-may-idUSKCN0ZU0J1

No, Mr Juncker, you weren't invited.

Yes, I will talk to Mrs May if I want to....

Pretty blatant marking of territory from Merkel I have to say.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Given DPM is a "non-job" I think Grayling could do it just fine. Wasn't it first created to soothe Helsetine's ego after he failed to become PM?

No.

Attlee was DepPM to Churchill in WWII and others have included Eden, Morrison, Butler, Whitelaw and Howe.

More recently Heseltine Prescott and Clegg. The position is presently vacant and is completely in the gift of the PM

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

@AlbertoNardelli: Senior French government source on BoJo as foreign secretary: the word used by colleagues at Quai d'Orsay yesterday evening was "incredible"

Given that Boris was the face of the most significant foreign policy decision this country has made in forty years then they really shouldn't regard it as unbelievable that he has a high profile role in its implementation. After all, it was only two weeks ago that he was favourite to be the new PM.
    Yes, he was. Where`s our first 350,000,000 for the NHS? The first week is nearly up.
    You need to wait for us to leave the EU and then ask the chancellor. He can spend the money we save on whatever priorities the government decided upon and you can then approve or disapprove of it at the ballot box rather than having no say on it.
    Oh, no, Mr Spencer. There may have been one or two other issues, but everybody I know who voted for Leave did so because they were going to put that 35,000,000 per week into the NHS. This was a firm promise by the Leave camapaign, headed by Mr Johnson, who is now a leading member of this Government.

Everybody has already voted for that at the ballot box. As you say, Mr Johnson has a high profile role in its implementation. He should either do that immediately, or be sacked on the spot. If he does not do it, nobody will ever believe a word of what Conservative politicians say, evr again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@chrisshipitv: Michael Gove will not be offered a government job, I understand. He'll be off to the backbenches. With George. And Dave.

Relief?

• Options
    Mr. Sandpit, point of order: they're just 'suggestions' [I haven't backed them myself]. I'll only be dipping my toe into spread betting if, at the season's end, I have enough to withdraw some from my Ladbrokes account. I thought it'd be handy to take a look and see how I do now, and (having done so), it might be of interest to others to post my thoughts.

Miss Plato, being accused of being in touch with popular culture is the most offensive thing in this thread :p

How often do I have to quote Gibbon or refer to the Second Punic War?!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

PlatoSaid said:

My other half tried to persuade me to go camping at Le Mans 24 - err no thanks. He wanted to be right next to the track...
    Ha, that's also a great weekend away, on the bucket list. The challenge is to stay up to watch the sunrise, despite the case of beer, then get an hour's sleep before barbecued bacon sandwiches and the next case of beer!

If that's not your idea of fun, see if you can get tickets to Monaco for the GP there. They have hotels and everything :tongue:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    theakes said:

Mortimer: number of local by elections today, three in the West country, see how they go.
    Lib Dems did make a Town Council gain in Shepton Mallet on Tuesday. Might be a sign of them moving up, might not.

I suspect some LD council movement - not least because LD councillors are perceived down this way as being more active. My staunch Thatcherite Tory grandmother in Torbay votes LD at council level.

But at the same time we should not see this as indicative of future LD parly gains. Demographic in SW is becoming much less inclined to LD parliamentary party. The 'Ever More Pro EU even though we're leaving' position will, I think, lose LD support down these parts amongst the LMC middle-aged to pensioner grouping which seems to have been its base....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Blue_rog said:

Gosh, started reading that and thought it was about the Humber bridge :grin:

I'm not sure the Humber Bridge is in the wrong place - it certainly saved my many, many miles of walking up to Goole on my coastal walk. ;)

They are still paying it off though - at least the last I heard, despite massively increased traffic.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    geoffw said:

Ishmael_X said:

firsts at Oxford do not award themselves,

True, and it's a pity because Boris was disappointed with his Upper Second.
    Correct, but not the strongest point ever made; even a 2nd in Greats demands more than writing "I went to Eton" on the paper. And what did he get in mods? (Genuine question, interweb doesn't seem to know).
  • Options
    Ms Vance,

I suppose Paris is not France, in the same way that London is not the UK.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

@AlbertoNardelli: Senior French government source on BoJo as foreign secretary: the word used by colleagues at Quai d'Orsay yesterday evening was "incredible"

Given that Boris was the face of the most significant foreign policy decision this country has made in forty years then they really shouldn't regard it as unbelievable that he has a high profile role in its implementation. After all, it was only two weeks ago that he was favourite to be the new PM.
    Yes, he was. Where`s our first 350,000,000 for the NHS? The first week is nearly up.
    You need to wait for us to leave the EU and then ask the chancellor. He can spend the money we save on whatever priorities the government decided upon and you can then approve or disapprove of it at the ballot box rather than having no say on it.
    Oh, no, Mr Spencer. There may have been one or two other issues, but everybody I know who voted for Leave did so because they were going to put that 35,000,000 per week into the NHS. This was a firm promise by the Leave camapaign, headed by Mr Johnson, who is now a leading member of this Government.

Everybody has already voted for that at the ballot box. As you say, Mr Johnson has a high profile role in its implementation. He should either do that immediately, or be sacked on the spot. If he does not do it, nobody will ever believe a word of what Conservative politicians say, evr again.
    First, we haven't left the EU. Second, he's not the chancellor so I am not sure it is within his gift to decide on spending commitments, and third, people voted to leave the EU at the ballot box.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Jobabob said:

Come on, it's just a bit of fun that gets even more hilarious with repetition.
    You can also be sure that its practitioners take being called little Englanders with complete equanimity.
    Strangely one is described as "Humorous" and the other as "Showing Disapproval" can't think why people might view them differently.
    Je suis un rosbif mais je ne suis pas un little Englander.

Je vais y aller en vacances à Nice en Août.

Je ne parle pas le français bien mais j'aime essayer.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

So you're an average cyclist, then: a menace.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

Stands to reason. Get your sen to France and have a look around. Meet the people. Enjoy the sunshine. Drink the wine. Admire the women. Gorge upon the food.

Then perhaps you'll stop being so dull about a country you have never even visited, despite its being a very short hop over a small stretch of water.
    I have been to France often, visiting the old battlefields for historical research. The weather is no better than here, the people are no better or worse than here (though commonly better dressed), the food is generally poor (unless you go really expensive) and the wine is grossly over priced for the quality you get.

I do like Calvados and the true Normandy cider is delicious (don't understand why they serve it in oversized wine glasses though - cider is to be drunk by the pint). Some of the cheese is pretty good, but so are some of the English cheeses.

As for the Frogs being our allies, well pull the other one. They have been our natural enemy for nearly a thousand years. As the Great Duke once said, "We always have been, we are and we always shall be detested in France".
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    11am and the starting gun goes off for the rest of the cabinet, time to limp around the house doing some jobs so I can settle down and watch the fireworks.
    Good god, politics has been more fun than a lot of the rugby season for me this year.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    I'm still not quite sure whether appointing BoJo as FS is an act of genius or the sort of lunacy that women of a certain age are occasionally prone to e.g. like taking a lover 20 years younger and buying convertibles ....... :)
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, cheers for that answer.

The Roman method was better. Build a massively over-engineered bridge*, then just leave it there for two thousand years.

*A recent programme, perhaps with Mary Beard, had one in Spain that needed to be demolished for some reason. It took two or three explosive charges to do at, as just one, [or two, I forget], would've left it standing.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

Yeah, surely the dismount signs are there to reduce risk of accidents?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm still not quite sure whether appointing BoJo as FS is an act of genius or the sort of lunacy that women of a certain age are occasionally prone to e.g. like taking a lover 20 years younger and buying convertibles ....... :)

I suspect Mrs May is impervious to Boris' dubious charms......
  • Options
    I thought the panic was over Boris' appointment, at least according to the guardian :D
  • Options

It would be good to have one lace where we can be free of the tossers.

Note, I don't criticise all London cyclists here: just the 90% that give the rest a bad name.

• Options
    notme said:

Trump has jut inched ahead of Clinton in some key swing states, I think the US State Department might be a touch less smug very soon.

Did you see what Boris said about Trump? :-)

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    Scott_P said:

That's actually a shame. 6 more months fixing that department would be worthwhile...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

French genders were never my strong suit.....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Ishmael_X said:

Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

I do not understand this "bone idle" thing at all, least of all from people like me who fritter their time away on PB. You don't get to or stay where Boris is without hard work, unless you are an hereditary crown prince. I would think he gets more done on a day off than I do in a year. London does not run itself, firsts at Oxford do not award themselves, Telegraph columns do not write themselves.

Talk to people at City Hall. Boris was good at picking people to do the work; he himself was hardly ever there, and didn't take the role seriously when he was.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

notme said:

Trump says the same thing about others - I bet it made him chuckle.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

You've spoken to all 17 million Leave voters and can see into their minds can you? And you also know how everyone will feel if this is not implemented immediately? With this foresight into the minds of your fellow citizens have you ever thought about running for elected office yourself? You seem to have all the answers.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

No.

Attlee was DepPM to Churchill in WWII and others have included Eden, Morrison, Butler, Whitelaw and Howe.

More recently Heseltine Prescott and Clegg. The position is presently vacant and is completely in the gift of the PM

Still a "non job" though really isn't it?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ms Vance,

I suppose Paris is not France, in the same way that London is not the UK.

Very true.....though its going to be an interesting dance between May, Merkel & Hollande (is he still there...lets just wait a few months then....)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,900
    RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

O

Nope. A politically easy answer that saves politicians offending NIMBYs.

• Options

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

Never had a problem anywhere in France, despite my French basically being Spanish with an Inspector Closeau accent. But I have heard it so many times from so may people I reckon I have just been very lucky. It's a wonderful, wonderful country. I love it there.

• Options
    Miss Vance, I sympathise, I've recently had some difficulty in that area myself [thanks again to pb and Mr. 43 in particular for their kind assistance. Even if you are filthy rosbifs].
  • Options

PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

You've spoken to all 17 million Leave voters and can see into their minds can you? And you also know how everyone will feel if this is not implemented immediately? With this foresight into the minds of your fellow citizens have you ever thought about running for elected office yourself? You seem to have all the answers.
    I assume PClipp is too busy on Betfair ;)
  • Options

notme said:

Trump says the same thing about others - I bet it made him chuckle.
    Isn't being insulted by Boris or Trump a bit like being insulted by @SeanT on here?
  • Options

geoffw said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

French genders were never my strong suit.....
    Tant pis.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I'm not sure he'll be sitting anywhere near George or Dave.....
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    I want Crispin Blunt, Dominic Grieve, Damien Green, Rory Stewart and Jo Johnson. Here's hoping the Davis, Fox, Johson triumvirate was a sop to the Brexiteers who can do all the horrible Brexit related stuff (and take the flack) whilst the sensible one nationers get the rest.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

A friend of mine, although British grew up in France, was educated in France through university level, but has lived in the UK for a number of years, his French is idiomatic and essentially flawless, but because they detect his English accent, taxi drivers in Paris still do the whole holding their hand to their ear "eh? eh?" and affecting not to understand routine.
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Charles said:

O

Nope. A politically easy answer that saves politicians offending NIMBYs.

Who has dismount signs in their back yards? :p
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

PClipp said:

Scott_P said:

I said "everybody I know who voted for Leave", Mr Spencer. You Tories do get carried away, don`t you?

Your outburst is no answer. The Tories who headed the Leave campaign have, through their blatant lies, won the referendum and destroyed the credibiity of the Conservative Party.
  • Options

Miss Vance, I sympathise, I've recently had some difficulty in that area myself [thanks again to pb and Mr. 43 in particular for their kind assistance. Even if you are filthy rosbifs].

I've always thought rosbifs was a rather amusing put down. Never eaten a frog of any variety.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Losers?
This discussion has been closed.