Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the early favourite in the Labour leadership contest

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,095
    edited July 2016

eek said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

May's plan might be thus:

Make just enough enemies to lose a confidence vote or some such (Budget eg)
    Have to go to the country in spring 2017
    Stuff Labour and increase majority
    Have a bigger majority which renders her enemies impotent with new MPs ready to Yes Miss, No Miss three bags full Miss.

She won't wait until the Spring, it'll be this year. For all that she has said "no need for an election" there are two major issues:

1. No working majority. In Cameron's first year the government was repeatedly defeated and forced into u-turns. Then we had the few months of the new parliamentary year where a queens speech with no bills in it didn't get passed without amendment. Since then we have had Tory civil war and now she is gutting out the Cameroons from the Cabinet. How will she drive through massive constitutional change with no majority?
    2. No opposition. Labour about to descend into rival legal appeals which assuming we don't fall apart over that means we will have a leadership election which will make us fall apart in September.

So. No majority. No real mandate for what must be done. Her party divided, our party more divided. The promise of a Thatcher-sized landslide majority. I don't see how she won't go to the country this year.
    I gather Labour is very short of money too.
    How much does an election cost to hold.... £1million or more...
    Much more than £1m in the local authorities who run the 650 elections.
    I should have been clearer. How much does a Labour leadership election cost to hold.... That's an unexpected cost they need to find asap... That's a lot of money which otherwise could have been used to pay for a forthcoming election...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

PlatoSaid said:

Miss Vance, I sympathise, I've recently had some difficulty in that area myself [thanks again to pb and Mr. 43 in particular for their kind assistance. Even if you are filthy rosbifs].

I've always thought rosbifs was a rather amusing put down. Never eaten a frog of any variety.
    Bizarrely I have once , in Texas when roaring drunk.
    Malc, I may be a vegetarian wimp, but it is posts like this that make me love you even more.

Do you even remember what Texan frog tastes like, or is it all clouded by alcohol?

Tasted pretty damn fine at the time , though that may have been the bourbon influence
    I wonder what the variation is between the Texan and French versions of frog. Was the Texan one Cajun-inspired?
    Tasted just like chicken to me , must have been a big beggar though going by the size of its legs
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Just heard Martin Schultz's comments on the R4 news about this being about Tory party internal politics.

Just shows how little he understands UK politics.......

We can add him to 'French Foreign Minister who isn't a diplomat'......
    By the way do u think Cameron had/should have called an E.U ref?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Hunt staying at Health according to the BBC

McLoughlin - Party Chair and Duchy of Lancaster
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    Pulpstar said:

Chris Froome and the boys are heading up Ventoux today btw.

First big day in the tour imo.

No it's not. The first big one was the one where Froome gained his lead on the descent. Much less climbing today (not least because they're not doing all of Ventoux due to high wind).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222
    PlatoSaid said:

Gavin Williamson is Chief Whip according to Sky

Who? Some Cameron chap

another invisible unknown
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804
    posted from Craig Murray's blog:

(Name Redacted)
    July 14, 2016 at 09:38

I know this is a bit off topic but I’m consumed with rage over a letter I received this morning from my Constituency Labour Party:
    Suspension of meetings: our AGM will no longer take place on 21 July.
    View this email in your browser

(Name Redacted)

(Name Redacted)

We have received instructions from the Scottish Labour Party that all local meetings, except those called explicitly and solely to agree nominations for the upcoming leadership election, are to be suspended until after the leadership election is completed.

This means that regrettably our AGM scheduled for 21 July will no longer be taking place.

Full details of the leadership election process should be released shortly. Apologies on behalf of your CLP Executive for this further postponement, which is outwith our control. We will continue to keep you informed on developments.

Best wishes,

Duncan Hothersall
    Chair, Edinburgh Southern CLP
    Margaret Graham
    Secretary, Edinburgh Southern CLP

SLAB shutting down possible dissent?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Hunt staying at Health according to the BBC

McLoughlin - Party Chair and Duchy of Lancaster

if Hunt is staying at health that seems a bad call
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

French ambassador to US pointing out that UK can't negotiate trade treaties until out of EU.

Supposing we do, what are they going to do about it ?
  • Options
    redrose82redrose82 Posts: 21
    Has Andy Burnham not yet thrown his hat in the ring?
This discussion has been closed.