Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the early favourite in the Labour leadership contest

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Francis Elliott @elliotttimes
    My prediction for new justice secretary is Dominic Grieve.

That would be a welcome choice - he's cleverer and straighter than Gove.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. StClare, no she wasn't :p
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,867

Francis Elliott @elliotttimes
    My prediction for new justice secretary is Dominic Grieve.

Another direct contemporary of May at Oxford - tho from Magdalen, not a headbanger.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229
    Mortimer said:

Mr Malc; jobbie has a different meaning outside of Scotland. As my scots pals found out to much hilarity in our first weeks at BNC.

Please enlighten me Mortimer , cannot be worse than what it means in Scotland
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

Morgan out

This just gets better and better!

Shame re Gove though. He will be missed.
    Morgan signed Gove's nomination papers
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

What's May going to do with Brokenshire? He was always sent out to bat when crap HO news was on the TV.

Didn't he employ an illegal immigrant as a nanny whilst in charge of immigration?
    No that was Mark Harper the current Chief Whip.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Leadsom quite bouncy at Energy questions. She seems resilient. Full of energy?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    Tee hee. Morgan gone!!!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Scott_P said:

Will be interesting to revisit this in a few months

@annemcelvoy: Those with Gove allergies will cheer defenestration - but it could be one too many for TM. It starts to feel like a purge.

I admire Michael Gove's intellect and vision, as I'm sure many do. However, despite his close personal friendship with Cameron, he went against him. Despite his close working relationship with Johnson, he went against him. It's admirable that he chooses principle uber alles, but it renders him utterly untrustworthy.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@annemcelvoy: Those with Gove allergies will cheer defenestration - but it could be one too many for TM. It starts to feel like a purge.

A purge of whom? Leadership rivals? Posh Boys? Brexiteers? Cameroons?

Boris gives her cover on the first three.
  • Options

Tee hee. Morgan gone!!!

Gove and Morgan unpopular with May. What policies does May have in mind for education?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    Scott_P said:

A very good purge by the looks of it
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

TGOHF said:

JackW said:

BBC - Gove sacked

A waste of a talented and visionary man who gets things done.
    He couldn't even **** up Boris properly.
    Exactly , as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Clever but totally stupid and far too cocky.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

Having visited Brussels several times, I find the French speakers friendly and welcoming. In Paris, they pretend not to understand my limited French (not that I blame them) and are generally much ruder.

What is your opinion of the Frogs in Paris?

Having lived in Brussels (in French speaking Ixelles) I would echo that sentiment - my French perfectly serviceable in Brussels - but get on the train to Paris, and by the time I got there it was 'comment? que'est qui'il a dit?'

Francophone & phile friend lived in Paris and loathed the Parisians....

Never had a problem anywhere in France, despite my French basically being Spanish with an Inspector Closeau accent. But I have heard it so many times from so may people I reckon I have just been very lucky. It's a wonderful, wonderful country. I love it there.

I live in Paris and have never once had a problem with french people, outside of the odd snooty waiter, and that's only in super touristy areas. A lot of them are somewhat insecure about their english ability (the french education system is very perfectionist so it's a bit shameful for them to speak inspector clouseau type english) and so that may explain reluctance to speak english with brits, rather than being too proud of their own language. They certainly don't dislike the english - the type of french-bashing you see in the Sun is entirely one-sided.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

I admire Michael Gove's intellect and vision, as I'm sure many do. However, despite his close personal friendship with Cameron, he went against him. Despite his close working relationship with Johnson, he went against him. It's admirable that he chooses principle uber alles, but it renders him utterly untrustworthy.
    It should make him utterly predictable, if you know what his principles are it shouldn't be hard to know what he will do.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Morgan is bloody useless, over-promoted is the word that always comes to mind, so Gove ally or not its a good move.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Hey! She started without me, whilst I was putting socks away dammit.
  • Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

JackW said:

BBC - Gove sacked

A waste of a talented and visionary man who gets things done.
    Yesterday my source flagged there was a tussle between acknowledging his talent and grave disquiet about recent events. The later won out comfortably in the end, made even more stark by his frostly relations with PM May
    Although a highly intelligent & eloquent chap - one has to ask how good a politician he is.

If politics is the 'art of the possible' he kept making things if not impossible, very difficult.

A period on the back benches to calm down will do no harm.....
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Gove did a decent job at Justice, but, maybe, it has been done.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So will new justice sec be some grey "hang em flog em" throwback ? Or a wet cloth.

• Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

It's admirable that he chooses principle uber alles, but it renders him utterly untrustworthy.
    And a poor politician.....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Miss Vance, I sympathise, I've recently had some difficulty in that area myself [thanks again to pb and Mr. 43 in particular for their kind assistance. Even if you are filthy rosbifs].

I've always thought rosbifs was a rather amusing put down. Never eaten a frog of any variety.
    There is actually a bar not far from me called The Frog & Rosbif :)
  • Options

Problem with Gove is he has a unique talent for going into a room with people who generally agree with him and manages to leave with them now annoyed at him. That said I would have kept him at justice as by all accounts he was doing a decent job.

It needs sorting or there will be a major clusterf**** at some point in a prison.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    MaxPB said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

theakes said:

Apparently there is a IPSOS MORI poll taken 8th - 11th July, Lib Dems on 11% and UKIP on 8%.
    How long since Lib Dems in 3rd place?

In an opinion poll, praps - but likely not in the real world.
    It is a remarkable poll. 9-11 July. Sample size 1021.
    Con 36% Lab 35% LD 11% UKIP 8% Grn 4%

LD 12 seats
    Con 22 short of majority
    Ipsos MORI were one of the worst pollsters at the GE and the referendum. Until they fix their methodology we can put them in the ignore pile.
    I wouldn't worry about a pollster's referendum performance for the next GE, the GE non voters won't head out to bother for it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Whittingdale gone
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    If she's going on a purge and removing troublesome elements then surely Hunt's position must be looking very shaky?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719
    Whittingdale and Morgan also out.
  • Options

Morgan is bloody useless, over-promoted is the word that always comes to mind, so Gove ally or not its a good move.

Is this the same Morgan that wanted to stand for the leadership. Presumably someone took her to one side and explained she was a housetrained fool and had no chance ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Whittingdale gone

Insert gag....
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Jobabob

'I have numerous French friends and I would never call them frogs, ever. I suggest if you ever get off your backside, out of your own backyard, and meet some, you don't either.

That advice is gratuit.'

My wife is a French national that's lived in the UK for many years (and has not bothered to take the UK nationality),she and her friends think 'frogs' is funny and will often refer to themselves as the froggies and UK nationals as 'the roast beef'
    The only thing they seem to find offensive is the NHS which they collectively think is crap compared with the French health care system.

You need to occasionally get out of your left wing PC bubble.

To see a roomful of faces turn pink, go to Germany and refer to yourself as an "Inselaffe".
  • Options
    Stephen Pollard ‏@stephenpollard

No love lost between May and Gove. Not least because Gove called out the appalling Home Office behaviour under May dealing with extremism.

Unlike most politicians, Gove can look back at a superb record of transforming lives for the better with his education reforms.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Only thing with Grieve is he was the fool who spent large sums of money trying to protect Prince Charles from FOI. And for what? A series of less than interesting letters.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Scott_P said:

Whittingdale gone

Damien Green to replace him?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,719
    TGOHF said:

So will new justice sec be some grey "hang em flog em" throwback ? Or a wet cloth.

Sir Dominic Grieve according to rumours, he'd been even more awesome at Justice than Gove
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Scott_P said:

JackW said:

PB isn't an echo chamber for any one view. The site is much richer for such diversity.

Good lord, we even allow turnip farmers on PB and the odd, very odd peer of the realm too.

Thank you Sir.

And for those who really don't want to read anything I post, there is a handy feature they can use. My name appears directly before every post...
    I'd be very happy to read what YOU think, its the constant posting of other people's tweets that puzzles me. You clearly spend hours following the echo chamber that is twitter, there's a big wide world out there, try expressing yourself not parroting others.
  • Options

Yeah, she's killing off the controversials. She wants her Secretaries to be quiet and competent, not dick waving troublemakers.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Jobabob

'I have numerous French friends and I would never call them frogs, ever. I suggest if you ever get off your backside, out of your own backyard, and meet some, you don't either.

That advice is gratuit.'

My wife is a French national that's lived in the UK for many years (and has not bothered to take the UK nationality),she and her friends think 'frogs' is funny and will often refer to themselves as the froggies and UK nationals as 'the roast beef'
    The only thing they seem to find offensive is the NHS which they collectively think is crap compared with the French health care system.

Our NHS has some advantages compared to their system. Being free at the point of use is a massive one. You have to pay a lot upfront in France. nd with their archaic bureaucratic systems it can take forever to get reimbursed.

The flipside is that waiting times are nowhere near as bad as they are in the NHS.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

It should make him utterly predictable, if you know what his principles are it shouldn't be hard to know what he will do.
    As politics will always involve compromise, tactical retreats and flanking maneuvers, it's impractical to have a Gove in the cabinet. As we all know, the pure wine of Brexit may be rather watered down at the end of the day. I doubt Gove would be able to stay on message.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited July 2016

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

Having visited Brussels several times, I find the French speakers friendly and welcoming. In Paris, they pretend not to understand my limited French (not that I blame them) and are generally much ruder.

Having lived in Brussels (in French speaking Ixelles) I would echo that sentiment - my French perfectly serviceable in Brussels - but get on the train to Paris, and by the time I got there it was 'comment? que'est qui'il a dit?'

Never had a problem anywhere in France, despite my French basically being Spanish with an Inspector Closeau accent. But I have heard it so many times from so may people I reckon I have just been very lucky. It's a wonderful, wonderful country. I love it there.

I live in Paris and have never once had a problem with french people, outside of the odd snooty waiter, and that's only in super touristy areas. A lot of them are somewhat insecure about their english ability (the french education system is very perfectionist so it's a bit shameful for them to speak inspector clouseau type english) and so that may explain reluctance to speak english with brits, rather than being too proud of their own language. They certainly don't dislike the english - the type of french-bashing you see in the Sun is entirely one-sided.
    No experts please, we're British.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    TGOHF said:

Unlike most politicians, Gove can look back at a superb record of transforming lives for the better with his education reforms.

Yes, my 15 year old is having a brilliant time coping with the endless fucking changes to the curriculum. As are his teachers. Gove was an *appalling* Education Secretary
  • Options
    @GeorgeEaton: Gove and Osborne out. Morgan and Hancock could follow. May determined to avoid continuity Cameroon.
  • Options

Let's hope for a Culture Secretary who's been 'shamed' by the Murdoch press.
  • Options
    http://order-order.com/quote/osborne-on-his-plans/
    George Osborne overheard replying to the question “What are you going to do now?”…
    “Plot the downfall of my enemies.”
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Only thing with Grieve is he was the fool who spent large sums of money trying to protect Prince Charles from FOI. And for what? A series of less than interesting letters.

That whole thing was just weird. The Guardian clearly thought there was something absolutely killer in those letters and Grieve I don't know he was playing at...all we found was that as suspected Charles is bloody annoying and more concerned with the South American lesser spotted toad (or whatever it was) and really important issues.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Whittingdale gone

Insert gag....
    Allegedly.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Could not agree more, complete rubbish and miles out of her depth with strange darting eyes. Her QT performances were poor. If Hancock and Crabb are also banished this cabinet will really impress me. Gove understandably despite his talents need to stew on the backbenches.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Empty Suit Chuka taking the monies...

http://order-order.com/2016/07/14/chukas-15000-hedge-fund-cash-anti-brexit-group/

And Watson got a big fat load of cash to.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

No experts please, we're British.
    Paris is like London, New York etc. Provincials mistake the necessity of being reserved towards others in populous places with rudeness. It's not rudeness, it's actually a form of politeness.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Barnesian said:

Mortimer said:

theakes said:

Apparently there is a IPSOS MORI poll taken 8th - 11th July, Lib Dems on 11% and UKIP on 8%.
    How long since Lib Dems in 3rd place?

In an opinion poll, praps - but likely not in the real world.
    It is a remarkable poll. 9-11 July. Sample size 1021.
    Con 36% Lab 35% LD 11% UKIP 8% Grn 4%

LD 12 seats
    Con 22 short of majority
    Ipsos MORI were one of the worst pollsters at the GE and the referendum. Until they fix their methodology we can put them in the ignore pile.
    I wouldn't worry about a pollster's referendum performance for the next GE, the GE non voters won't head out to bother for it.
    GE turnout declined sharply after 1997. Maybe leaving the EU will draw voters back to general elections?

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/turnout.htm
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

French are just people, good and bad.

Regrettably arseholes are a global species, respecting no borders, religions or ethnicities. Rudeness does seem somewhat correlated with large cities - many people would argue that New Yorkers, Londoners, Parisians et al are more likely to be obnoxious than their more placid provincial brethren.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Yeah, she's killing off the controversials. She wants her Secretaries to be quiet and competent, not dick waving troublemakers.
    Ah yes, Boris, the understated appointment.

I would say May's cabinet is more diverse in terms of style, so far.
  • Options

Damien Green.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Sorry Charles, but I fear you're wrong.

If it is a sinecure as you claim (and I really think you're wrong on that), then the post should be abolished. In the meantime he could do enormous damage in his usual charming manner.

BTW, are you still supporting the Garden Bridge?

No need to apologise for disagreeing with me.

I'm a fan of the Garden Bridge - we need to leave treasures behind to improve London rather than just focusing on the utilitarian. But Khan's killed it, I think.
    But it wasn't going to be a 'treasure': it was a rich mans' plaything, an idea that was scrabbling around for a purpose.

Things that have a defined and required purpose do not need to be 'utilitarian': they can also be beautiful. London is filled with things that were built for a defined purpose and yet are also beautiful. Sometimes the purpose enhances the beauty. Function enhancing form.

The Garden Bridge's beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but it's purpose is non-existent. A new bridge in London that would not allow cyclists seems broken at the beginning. And that leaves out the extortionate cost.

If Khan has killed it, then he's already done the London taxpayers a favour.
    Appropriate provision for cyclists is important, but that is not the same as making each and every piece of infrastructure work for cyclists.

The issue with cyclists on the Garden Bridge is that they typically want to cycle at reasonable speed in a straight line. The bridge is specifically designed for pedestrians to be able to wander and relax - it's like the L in New York & its function as a bridge is almost ancillary to the intention (although it does have benefits). Cyclists can, of course, use it if they dismount and push their bikes (like - of course - all considerate cyclists already do in pedestrianised areas)

London taxpayers contribution is coming from the existing budget that TFL set aside for the redevelopment of Temple Tube Station.

And Khan hasn't had the courage to kill it - he's just halted the enabling works at Temple Tube for a review - which means that the overall project may not be completed in time.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

JackW said:

PB isn't an echo chamber for any one view. The site is much richer for such diversity.

Good lord, we even allow turnip farmers on PB and the odd, very odd peer of the realm too.

Thank you Sir.

And for those who really don't want to read anything I post, there is a handy feature they can use. My name appears directly before every post...
    I'd be very happy to read what YOU think, its the constant posting of other people's tweets that puzzles me. You clearly spend hours following the echo chamber that is twitter, there's a big wide world out there, try expressing yourself not parroting others.
    Scott posts alot of horse manure, and I for one pay attention to his posts - horse muck helps the money tree grow ^_~
  • Options
    Grayling now answering questions in the Commons. He is trying to sound upbeat but just seems to be covering up for disappointment.

Is his phone on silent? Perhaps it is not going to ring at all?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    edited July 2016
    Wasn't Gove the first non-lawyer Lord Chancellor?
    edited by completing phrase.

CD13 said:

Mr Bob,

Problem is they can't cope with English.
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33238996
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Whittingdale gone

The BBC's man in Parliament. The frothers will go into meltdown. :-D

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky news - Letwin out
  • Options
    I cannot believe he hasn't insulted Mexico.

https://twitter.com/indy100/status/753523601891004420
  • Options

George Osborne overheard replying to the question “What are you going to do now?”…

Osbrowne to the last....
  • Options

Mate, you're unemployed. You don't have enemies. You have to be important to have enemies.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sky news - Letwin out

Why on earth was he ever in ?!
  • Options
    See ya Nicky, you were terrible.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sky news - Letwin out

Bad news for the Labour party.
  • Options
    With Boris in such prominent position should we see that as indication that runway three at Heathrow less likely now?
  • Options
    @BBCVickiYoung: Osborne, Gove and Morgan out. It's a cull not a #reshuffle
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Something for us all to ponder from one of May's CoS. Written pre-EUref. PB being a living example of his thesis, sadly.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/06/nick-timothy-ive-already-voted-leave-but-i-cant-wait-to-get-away-from-this-bloody-referendum-campaign.html
  • Options

Ah yes, Boris, the understated appointment.

I would say May's cabinet is more diverse in terms of style, so far.
    If you are lucky enough to have a teflon politician in your team you might as well use him to draw the attention of the media while you get on with the important stuff.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Betting, good to hear Osborne's taken his sacking well.
  • Options

I cannot believe he hasn't insulted Mexico.

https://twitter.com/indy100/status/753523601891004420

He'll soon have an assistant who can handle that task very nicely thank you.
  • Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Whittingdale gone

Beth at Sky speculating a merge between BIS and Culture.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780

stjohn said:

I don't get it. May is quoted as saying we must end freedom of movement of EU citizens. Hammond says, "we need to ensure access to the single market for our financial services industry." These two positions are incompatible aren't they?

Not quite. 'Access to the Single Market' is not the same as 'part of the Single Market'. Whatever happens, the City will have some access to the Single Market; the question is how much, on what terms.
    OK. Thanks Richard.

So the aims are ACCESS to the Single Market and CONTROL of Freedom of Movement. I think I get it.
  • Options
    Now if Soubry was also out it would complete the set.
  • Options

With Boris in such prominent position should we see that as indication that runway three at Heathrow less likely now?

Is HR3 under the remit of the Foreign Sec ?

It's more needed than that Garden bridge or w/e.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    May getting rid of the numpties and liabilities....I expect Boris to be sent on many slow boats to China.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

TGOHF said:

Yes, my 15 year old is having a brilliant time coping with the endless fucking changes to the curriculum. As are his teachers. Gove was an *appalling* Education Secretary
    Aw diddums - has had to learn to write and do sums instead of performing a play on global warming issues ?
  • Options

Now if Soubry was also out it would complete the set.

I don't think you can say she is one of Osborne's over-promoted.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    john_zims said:

@Jobabob

That advice is gratuit.'

One of my good friends, a policeman, married a Frenchwoman.

This was their cake topper.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Twas the BBC actually.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Scott_P said:

It is also NOT A RESHUFFLE. It is an entirely new government.

I wish journos would stop calling it as such.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Twas the BBC actually.
    It wasn't actually...they only jumped on the bandwagon after it was clearly out there on the internet and in Private Eye.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,099
    edited July 2016

TGOHF said:

He's only got the new style Maths and English.... My 14 year olds are about to start subjects where the books won't be available until at least December....

If you want to watch a teacher wince at the moment find a modern Languages teacher and ask them about the changes..... The course is now far more practical but its a shock and decent results will be 5-7 years away as they need to restructure how languages are taught from year 7 onwards...

I do actually blame Morgan for these changes not Gove. Gove wanted new exams, Morgan was the one who decided what they would be like....
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    TCPoliticalBetting

'Francis Elliott @elliotttimes
    My prediction for new justice secretary is Dominic Grieve.'

FFS anyone but Grieve.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:
    At the always impartial BBC...never...The thing despite all the claims about how he was going to kill off the BBC, he didn't do anything of any substance with the charter renewal. It was completely the wrong decision not to push the BBC towards the modern world, as 10 years in media is a very long time and they need to stat to deleverage from the licence fee model before then because it isn't sustainable.
  • Options
    Charles said:

And Khan hasn't had the courage to kill it - he's just halted the enabling works at Temple Tube for a review - which means that the overall project may not be completed in time.

Some of the regulations on the project are positively Orwellian

In November 2015, planning documents for the bridge revealed that the public's access to the bridge would be heavily controlled, including tracking visitors' mobile phone signals to guard against overcrowding, an "enhanced" video surveillance system and granting "visitor hosts" limited policing powers under a Community Safety Accreditation Scheme, including the right to issue minor fines. The rules of the bridge would prohibit "any exercise other than jogging, playing a musical instrument, taking part in a 'gathering of any kind', giving a speech or address, scattering ashes, releasing a balloon and flying a kite."
  • Options
    Sky News better than BBC News - mainly due to Beth for her insights.
    BBC News running with Victoria Derbyshire zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    malcolmg said:

PlatoSaid said:

Miss Vance, I sympathise, I've recently had some difficulty in that area myself [thanks again to pb and Mr. 43 in particular for their kind assistance. Even if you are filthy rosbifs].

I've always thought rosbifs was a rather amusing put down. Never eaten a frog of any variety.
    Bizarrely I have once , in Texas when roaring drunk.
    Malc, I may be a vegetarian wimp, but it is posts like this that make me love you even more.

Do you even remember what Texan frog tastes like, or is it all clouded by alcohol?

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

It is also NOT A RESHUFFLE. It is an entirely new government.

I wish journos would stop calling it as such.
    Most journalists don't know their arse from their elbow these days.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,893

john_zims said:

@Jobabob

That advice is gratuit.'

One of my good friends, a policeman, married a Frenchwoman.

This was their cake topper.

Think Mr Bob needs to get out more.

IMO frog is no more offensive than Brit, Jock, Jap or Pak.

The most offensive things I routinely call people are either Southerner or Feminist O_o .
  • Options

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

Whittingdale gone

Beth at Sky speculating a merge between BIS and Culture.
    I wouldn't mind a Dept for Enterprise. What about culture, heritage, the arts? It doesn't seem to fit into another department easily. What about education?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    May seems to be defenestrating those who are less pragmatic, Osborne and Gove always appeared to me to have the answer first and then manouvered to reach that answer, Johnson on the other hand may be a clown but he's a pragmatic clown. A pragmatic cabinet is probably avery good idea for where we currently are.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

TCPoliticalBetting
    'Francis Elliott @elliotttimes
    My prediction for new justice secretary is Dominic Grieve.'
    FFS anyone but Grieve.

My guess was Damian Green - but either one would be letting the crims out early.
  • Options
    @AlbertoNardelli: 'Britain has appointed a liar as its foreign secretary' - French foreign minister Ayrault https://t.co/jqIMUIZPTg https://t.co/Dq4lvFEoU5
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Charles said:

Some of the regulations on the project are positively Orwellian

In November 2015, planning documents for the bridge revealed that the public's access to the bridge would be heavily controlled, including tracking visitors' mobile phone signals to guard against overcrowding, an "enhanced" video surveillance system and granting "visitor hosts" limited policing powers under a Community Safety Accreditation Scheme, including the right to issue minor fines. The rules of the bridge would prohibit "any exercise other than jogging, playing a musical instrument, taking part in a 'gathering of any kind', giving a speech or address, scattering ashes, releasing a balloon and flying a kite."
    Just kill it already.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    eek said:

TGOHF said:

He's only got the new style Maths and English.... My 14 year olds are about to start subjects where the books won't be available until at least December....

If you want to watch a teacher wince at the moment find a modern Languages teacher and ask them about the changes..... The course is now far more practical but its a shock and decent results will be 5-7 years away as they need to restructure how languages are taught from year 7 onwards...

I do actually blame Morgan for these changes not Gove. Gove wanted new exams, Morgan was the one who decided what they would be like....
    My middle child will need a high school in a couple of years. Our local academy has a great new building but a major lack of decent management and arguments over which company should sponsor them. What influence do parents, residents, the council etc have?

None at all.....
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I'm hearing that Cameron pleaded with May not to evict him from Number 10 because, and I'm not making this up, he had a pet cat. She said I'm not falling for that line again. #catgaffe.
  • Options
    Following the publication of Steven Crabb's sexting of a young woman friend,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3681765/Married-Tory-leadership-hopeful-sent-sex-texts-girl-20s.html

will he just resign quietly from his Work and Pensions job? Perhaps IDS will return.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Must admit I always get Damien Grieve and Dominic Green mixed up.

One's a lawyerly type on the left of the Conservatives and the other is a... ;)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_P said:
    someone will be getting their P45 later!
This discussion has been closed.