Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the early favourite in the Labour leadership contest

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn the early favourite in the Labour leadership contest – but Owen Smith strong

Above is updating live betting from the Betfair exchange on the fight for the LAB leadership which has been totally overshadowed by events in the Tory party and the new PM. To recap in case you haven’t noticed

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,597
    1st.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Second.....like Smith.....
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Third... like Eagle...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Glorious fourth!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I will plead the fifth!
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    edited July 2016
    A sixth, like the fraction of the PLP who support Corbyn.
  • Options
    Presumably now that Boris, Davis and Fox are entrusted with the task, we will stop hearing the bleating that the Brexiteers have all vanished into the sunset now the referendum is over?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Seventh, as in heaven.

Boris is foreign secretary. I slept on it and it really is true :-D
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Colorado .. Virginia - Fox News

CO - Clinton 44 .. Trump 34
    VA - Clinton 44 .. Trump 37

http://www.politico.com/blogs/swing-states-2016-election/2016/07/trump-clinton-colorado-virginia-225502
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    On topic; really quite amazed that Argclu has drifted so much in the betting....
  • Options
    Why is Angela Eagle being referred to as "Argclu"?
  • Options

Seventh, as in heaven.

It's great isn't it? My first thought when I heard that the surprise new foreign secretary was a disloyal rightwinger whose opportunistic rhetoric had become a focal point for party rebels was that Hilary Benn had finally crossed the floor so Boris is something of a (comic) relief.
  • Options
    In Ebbw Vale constituency in 1951, there was a swing from Conservative to Labour (compared with 1950) of 0.00017%.

Aneurin Bevan (Lab) 28,245 (80.72306%)
    G. B. Finley (Con) 6,745 (19.27694%)

Aneurin Bevan (Lab) 28,283 (80.72323%) (+0.00017%)
    J. E. Bowan (Con) 6,754 (19.27677%) (-0.00017%)
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

I think it's her signature on her posters at the campaign launch.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

It's great isn't it? My first thought when I heard that the surprise new foreign secretary was a disloyal rightwinger whose opportunistic rhetoric had become a focal point for party rebels was that Hilary Benn had finally crossed the floor so Boris is something of a (comic) relief.

The appointment has gone down like a lead balloon abroad. As an opening statement from May to allies and others it's quite a strange one. This seems to sum things up. You wouldn't describe Carl Bildt as an hysterical anti-British leftie (though Boris might):
    https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/753303826971713536
  • Options
    RobD said:

JohnLoony said:

I think it's her signature on her posters at the campaign launch.
    Quite right. As PBTories generally are....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    edited July 2016
    I must say it's refreshing for all of Europe to be watching developments in British politics with baited breath.

One commenter on Der Spiegel even said they think Theresa May will one day be spoken of as the new Winston Churchill.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

The appointment has gone down like a lead balloon abroad. As an opening statement from May to allies and others it's quite a strange one. This seems to sum things up. You wouldn't describe Carl Bildt as an hysterical anti-British leftie (though Boris might):
    Oh dear; are you going to keep posting this image like you kept posting the IFS chart - I suppose at least today it isn't a periodical cover from June.

The fact that this image didn't kill his career shows how remarkable BoJo is.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Owen Smith? One of the most obscure MPs on the Labour benches?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Oh dear; are you going to keep posting this image like you kept posting the IFS chart - I suppose at least today it isn't a periodical cover from June.

It may say more about how remarkable the English (as distinct from British) political scene is, though not necessarily in a good way. It certainly won't be boring seeing whether it's more similar to the world of international diplomacy than currently seems likely.
  • Options

Presumably now that Boris, Davis and Fox are entrusted with the task, we will stop hearing the bleating that the Brexiteers have all vanished into the sunset now the referendum is over?

Dragged out into the full glare of daylight by our REMAINer PM.....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

He is one of the two teflon UK politicians - both of whom have been Mayor of London. This is a well-paid non-job.

Neither are, I suspect, personally very nice people, and neither have ever held senior positions in government,

One now does. It'll be interesting to see how long the teflon coating can last.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Morning!

More fun this morning with the rest of the Cabinet appts. I still can't get over Georgexit.

Think I'll need a Venn diagram re Brexit on who does what.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    As an erstwhile supporter of the project, I now sadly say that one of Mrs May's first tasks should be scrapping the Hinckley point project. That is, if the NAO report just mentioned on R4 is true.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MarinaHyde: This and the 16 tweets leading up to it offer a not unreasonable view from abroad .... https://t.co/Eg8oPxZc58
  • Options
    @bombaylychee: Boris Johnson is "der illoyale Tausendsassa", a disloyal jack-of-all-trades. https://t.co/E9QOQGW0BW via @welt
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

I have little interest in Boris's career. What interests me is what kind of signal about the UK and May's government the BoJo appointment sends out. We really need to be making friends and deepening relationships across the world. And the world really doesn't think much of Boris. I wonder if May actually gave this the thought it deserved.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@MarinaHyde: This and the 16 tweets leading up to it offer a not unreasonable view from abroad .... https://t.co/Eg8oPxZc58

Implying that Britain can only survive if it is inside the political union of the EU.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    JohnLoony said:

Because that's good she signs her name
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    The odds on me voting conservative at the next GE have been cut to 1000000/1 to 1000/1, I'm impressed with the way May has sacked Osborne (and presumably his awful bag carrier Matt Hancock) and appointed some mature, sensible people.

I'm hoping for a govt of less spin and manipulation, less cronyism and back slapping and more responsible decision making. I did say hoping.

Whoever leads Ukip has a tough task on their hands, my advice is to target the corpse that is the Labour Party, they are finished as serious opposition.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Morning!

More fun this morning with the rest of the Cabinet appts. I still can't get over Georgexit.

Think I'll need a Venn diagram re Brexit on who does what.

Good morning. Not surprised that Osborne has gone, but the fact that he had to be sacked was a bit unexpected. It'll be interesting to see whether Leadsom, Patel and Gove are offered positions today.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

Owen Smith? One of the most obscure MPs on the Labour benches?

Labour's Anthony Meyer...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Scott_P said:

https://www.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/753455261222899712

Well, quite.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Implying that Britain can only survive if it is inside the political union of the EU.
    He also implies it will be a rump England left, even though Wales voted leave...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

I have little interest in Boris's career. What interests me is what kind of signal about the UK and May's government the BoJo appointment sends out. We really need to be making friends and deepening relationships across the world. And the world really doesn't think much of Boris. I wonder if May actually gave this the thought it deserved.

And the world really doesn't think much of Boris.

We'll struggle to hear more hyperbole than that today. Foreign politicians are as low calibre as ours, you only have to look at the EU parliament, its full of dross.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Just listening to the Spectator podcast. A US ex-state department bod says that Messrs Fox and Johnson are both well known in the US.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/theresa-may-shows-really-serious-brexit/
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

BoJo has the rare feature of being known outside of the UK. This is the only real difference between him and past ForSecs.

He is, as many here keep forgetting, a One Nation Tory - which signals suggest is the very point of this administration.
  • Options
    @LOS_Fisher: EXCL: Major Labour donor Michael Foster launches legal action against Labour NEC for ruling that Corbyn is on ballot
    https://t.co/rTF6akpVDt
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

We'll struggle to hear more hyperbole than that today. Foreign politicians are as low calibre as ours, you only have to look at the EU parliament, its full of dross.

We still have to deal with them.

• Options
    Is there a tangible chance that we'll see a drop to 0% interest rates today? I didn't think so but just caught the end of a piece on the news.....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Yep, you spoke to a couple of people overseas and declare "the world really doesn't think much of Boris", you need to get a grip mate.

I'm ambivalent to Boris, his new job is irrelevant really, people trade with each other, it has very little to do with politicians. Good stuff sells, rubbish doesn't.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    @SouthamObserver
    May is very thoughtful which is why before giving Boris the job she carved most of it away into other departments. Boris will find most of the traditional job of FS being done by Davis and Fox. It was an appointment that puzzled me to start with until I realised how cunning she had been.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

I would suggest the market prediction for Owen Smith (who he? ed) is based on early punters snapping him up at decent odds, rather than any realistic hope that he’d beat Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Is there a tangible chance that we'll see a drop to 0% interest rates today? I didn't think so but just caught the end of a piece on the news.....

I hope not
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Just listening to the Spectator podcast. A US ex-state department bod says that Messrs Fox and Johnson are both well known in the US.

Everyone everywhere who matters politically and diplomatically will know Boris. That may not be a good thing given what they will know him for. He has, for example, publicly insulted the current US president, as well as the two candidates to replace him. Boris wasn't to know that he'd be foreign secretary when he decided to write about Obama being an uppity African, but May knew that Boris had done it when she appointed him. I wonder if she thought it through, or if she made the decision solely through a domestic, internal Tory party dynamic prism.

• Options
    Has Gove got a job?

If not not it seems May is sending out a message about gossip, backstabbing and cliques. Good for her.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Yep, you spoke to a couple of people overseas and declare "the world really doesn't think much of Boris", you need to get a grip mate.

I'm ambivalent to Boris, his new job is irrelevant really, people trade with each other, it has very little to do with politicians. Good stuff sells, rubbish doesn't.

No, I haven't spoken to anyone since the appointment. I have looked at plenty of foreign coverage of and comment on it.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@LOS_Fisher: EXCL: Major Labour donor Michael Foster launches legal action against Labour NEC for ruling that Corbyn is on ballot

Has everyone joined up the dots yet, why all this is happening to Corbyn?
    http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/146195/labour-donor-explains-why-he-heckled-jeremy-corbyn-israel-event
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Because he's a completely unsuitable leader.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

In the eyes of a chosen few...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, the electorate.

I'd agree that his pandering to antisemitism is part of the problem.
  • Options

Morning all.

I would suggest the market prediction for Owen Smith (who he? ed) is based on early punters snapping him up at decent odds, rather than any realistic hope that he’d beat Jeremy Corbyn.

And wishful thinking. Corbyn will walk the vote. Labour is keen now to be a political movement rather than a Parliamentary party that aspires to govern.

• Options
    @Annemariealex: Hammond will meet Bank of England governor later today, and says he will 'do whatever it takes' to steady the economy

...except a budget...

Ok...
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

@Annemariealex: Hammond will meet Bank of England governor later today, and says he will 'do whatever it takes' to steady the economy

...except a budget...

Ok...
    Struggling to keep up. Who is signing your cheques these days?
  • Options
    Just checked Chris Grayling's wiki entry and he's still waiting for a job - thought I read here yesterday that he'd got one.

Anyone remember? It was a blizzard of announcements and rumours yesterday.
  • Options
    Amazing, the Boris effect already bringing the PB community together - where there is discord, may he bring harmony. Where there is error, may he bring truth. Where there is doubt, may he bring faith. And where there is despair, may he bring hope – Brings a tear to the eye…
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

I wonder if she thought it through, or if she made the decision solely through a domestic, internal Tory party dynamic prism.

From Stakhanovite micro manager to seat of the pants gambler?

I don't think so.

Boris flourishes - with the odd bump along the way, no doubt - May's faith vindicated.

Boris crashes & burns - major potential threat eliminated for good...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Just checked Chris Grayling's wiki entry and he's still waiting for a job - thought I read here yesterday that he'd got one.

Surely he'll get Chief whip?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, the electorate.

Ah, yes, anti-whatsitsname...

"Formerly an anti-Semite was somebody who hated Jews... But nowadays an anti-Semite is somebody who is hated by Jews." Dr. Hajo Meyer, former inmate of Auschwitz.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Has Gove got a job?

If not not it seems May is sending out a message about gossip, backstabbing and cliques. Good for her.

There are lots of jobs left. The papers are saying Theresa May's speech borrowed from Ed Miliband but really it was classic one nation Toryism of the sort associated with Michael Gove.

The trouble with Gove is that he is not awfully good at politics. He antagonises people who would naturally be on his side, and in case he is ever too busy to offend people in person, he pays Dominic Cummings to do it for him.

Jeremy Hunt seems like a less bright version.

And the unnecessarily theatrical sacking of Osborne had spin written all over it.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

I wonder if she thought it through, or if she made the decision solely through a domestic, internal Tory party dynamic prism.

From Stakhanovite micro manager to seat of the pants gambler?

I don't think so.

Boris flourishes - with the odd bump along the way, no doubt - May's faith vindicated.

Boris crashes & burns - major potential threat eliminated for good...
    Sounds like she has put him on a shoogly zipwire.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Ah, the Jew baiter of Merseyside is up early today.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

No, it's a pretentious and ill-informed stream of consciousness, not an argument or an "unreasonable view"
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Why do the left always fret so much about what 'signal' this or that action will send out to the world.

Do they sit at home brooding over what the neighbours think about everything they do at home like Hyacinth Bucket?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

I must say it's refreshing for all of Europe to be watching developments in British politics with baited breath.
    One commenter on Der Spiegel even said they think Theresa May will one day be spoken of as the new Winston Churchill.

Drunk in charge?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

PlatoSaid said:

I thought the MP for Guildford had that one - Anne Milton? She was Deputy Whip before. Mark Harper is CW on wiki.

Argh! This is getting most confusing. Come on Theresa!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,477

Has Gove got a job?

I hope he doesn't get one.

Let him sit it out in the wilderness for a couple of years.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

It was Fox who founded Atlantic Bridge, right? He's certainly very involved with the whole Atlanticist movement.

BoJo is probably best known for arguments over whether the US embassy should pay congestion charges...

• Options

Has Gove got a job?

There are lots of jobs left. The papers are saying Theresa May's speech borrowed from Ed Miliband but really it was classic one nation Toryism of the sort associated with Michael Gove.

The trouble with Gove is that he is not awfully good at politics. He antagonises people who would naturally be on his side, and in case he is ever too busy to offend people in person, he pays Dominic Cummings to do it for him.

And the unnecessarily theatrical sacking of Osborne had spin written all over it.
    What was remotely theatrical about Osborne's sacking?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, the electorate.

Ah, yes, anti-whatsitsname...
    We already knew you are in the 7%.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

PlatoSaid said:

Hmm. When Grayling was put up as a good bet for Chancellor, the consensus from all those who'd had anything to do with him was that he was not what the Oxbridge types call an alpha mind. Otoh, he won May the top job so presumably must be rewarded. Maybe Health to make peace with the doctors?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Why do the left always fret so much about what 'signal' this or that action will send out to the world.

Do they sit at home brooding over what the neighbours think about everything they do at home like Hyacinth Bucket?

Why do the right think that it's a good idea to stick two fingers up to countries we want to have good, friendly relations with?

• Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Mortimer said:

PlatoSaid said:

I thought the MP for Guildford had that one - Anne Milton? She was Deputy Whip before. Mark Harper is CW on wiki.

Argh! This is getting most confusing. Come on Theresa!
    No appointment made as far as I can see. If true he'll probably be in Downing st helping with appointments.
  • Options
    @business: Boris Johnson is an undiplomatic choice as Britain's top diplomat https://t.co/nFpmVRYXM1 https://t.co/0eCWZqrMrD
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@SouthamObserver
    May is very thoughtful which is why before giving Boris the job she carved most of it away into other departments. Boris will find most of the traditional job of FS being done by Davis and Fox. It was an appointment that puzzled me to start with until I realised how cunning she had been.

That was my immediate reaction. I very much doubt we are going to do that much on the world scene in the next 2-3 years except negotiate Brexit and develop trade links. Any security crises, of course, May will be all over and Fallon will be in the room as well (as well as BoJo)
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    HaroldO said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

He also implies it will be a rump England left, even though Wales voted leave...
    I voted Leave, as I didn't want the UK to end up as a far flung province of a United States of Europe, run from Berlin in the German national interest, i.e. a modern version of GrossDeutschesReich. However, I do regret that inadvertently, because of the way the votes were cast AND PUBLISHED, this will inevitably lead to break up of the UK, and reintegration of Wales into England. Was there any need to declare votes by district/region, rather than just announce the overall result?

Re BOJO's appointment as FS, i.e. the new Clarkson, the only comment that will really cause difficulties in the near future is his insulting Limerick about the dictator of his ancestral homeland. May would be advised to deal directly with Erdogan, not via her FS. However, BJ's comment about Obama was accurate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

...except a budget...

Ok...
    Budgets rarely help stabilise things.

Better to wait and see how things pan out before taking the appropriate corrective action.

I very much hope that Hammond abolishes the awful "autumn statement" and goes back to a single annual budget. Well thought through plans don't need tweaking every second week.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Has Gove got a job?

That it happened at Number 10 with all the cameras outside. There was no need for Osborne to be there: he could have been sacked by phone, or May could have had a quiet word after Cabinet or in the House after PMQs. Similarly, there was no need even to present it as sacking: Osborne could have put out a statement saying he'd decided to step back from the front line. Oh, and if Osborne really had been brutally sacked, where is his case for the defence?

No, the whole affair seemed designed for public consumption. The question is why.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Polruan said:

Seventh, as in heaven.

Why do the right think that it's a good idea to stick two fingers up to countries we want to have good, friendly relations with?

Most other countries are less likely to take umbrage at a comment than the professional offence-takers of the British left.
  • Options

Morning all.

I'm not sure. I've been backing him since late last year. He has three important qualities which are currently scarce in the Labour Party: an understanding that the Corbyn thing is about policy not personality (having the balls to come out with a definite position on a second referendum is an important step and will probably swing at least 10pc his way); a well-organised campaign which seems to have been ready to go in decent scale, but which he was comfortable to keep quiet until the time was favourable; and, connected with that, enough of a media background to know how to get a hearing for his message.

My gut feeling is that the Labour right is now desperate enough for a candidate with what they call leadership that they will swing behind him even if he sticks to a policy agenda that will be left enough for many of Corbyn's supporters who are looking for something more distinctive than simply "not the Tories". This is a big change from last summer when any policy pronouncements with a hint of socialism about them were seen as too dangerous for a credible leader.
  • Options
    daodao said:

<
    Re BOJO's appointment as FS, i.e. the new Clarkson, the only comment that will really cause difficulties in the near future is his insulting Limerick about the dictator of his ancestral homeland. May would be advised to deal directly with Erdogan, not via her FS. However, BJ's comment about Obama was accurate.

There are three doors, behind all three of them is a goat. Happy days?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

No, the whole affair seemed designed for public consumption. The question is why.

Because he's the second most hated politician in Britain behind Jez?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,163
    edited July 2016
    daodao said:

HaroldO said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I voted Leave, as I didn't want the UK to end up as a far flung province of a United States of Europe, run from Berlin in the German national interest, i.e. a modern version of GrossDeutschesReich. However, I do regret that inadvertently, because of the way the votes were cast AND PUBLISHED, this will inevitably lead to break up of the UK, and reintegration of Wales into England. Was there any need to declare votes by district/region, rather than just announce the overall result?
    Ah, ignorance is tasty, nutritious, unitary bliss.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    PlatoSaid said:

I understand a US company, goggle perhaps, has come up with a tool to help you help yourself. Perhaps it will become widely used in time and surpass Altavista.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T I've just done the Pokemon quiz in the telegraph... Pokemon Go is taking over the world :grin:

Be afraid, I'm a Charizard.
  • Options

Has Gove got a job?

That it happened at Number 10 with all the cameras outside. There was no need for Osborne to be there: he could have been sacked by phone, or May could have had a quiet word after Cabinet or in the House after PMQs. Similarly, there was no need even to present it as sacking: Osborne could have put out a statement saying he'd decided to step back from the front line. Oh, and if Osborne really had been brutally sacked, where is his case for the defence?

If she'd done it by phone she would have been 'rude, not showing him the courtesy of a personal interview for such a senior government colleague.'

Its not like she frog marched him out the front door into the press pack.

May is a traditionalist - these things are best done face to face.....not by phone, or text.....
  • Options
    matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

I understand a US company, goggle perhaps, has come up with a tool to help you help yourself. Perhaps it will become widely used in time and surpass Altavista.
    Do you bother to read before sneering? Golly, how do you cope at such high altitude?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Has Gove got a job?

Cos he is a c**t

#noemergencybudgetneeded
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I struggle with the relentlessly thick.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Polruan said:

Morning all.

My gut feeling is that the Labour right is now desperate enough for a candidate with what they call leadership that they will swing behind him even if he sticks to a policy agenda that will be left enough for many of Corbyn's supporters who are looking for something more distinctive than simply "not the Tories". This is a big change from last summer when any policy pronouncements with a hint of socialism about them were seen as too dangerous for a credible leader.
    Sadly, Owen Smith has 1 attribute that will ensure that he will never be PM, even if he wins the Labour leadership - remember the contempt in which Neil Kinnock was held east of Offa's Dyke.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

@SouthamObserver

That was my immediate reaction. I very much doubt we are going to do that much on the world scene in the next 2-3 years except negotiate Brexit and develop trade links. Any security crises, of course, May will be all over and Fallon will be in the room as well (as well as BoJo)
    I think Theresa May has been rather clever bringing arch Leaver, Boris back into the fold. The much pared down roll of foreign secretary is enough rope to limit the damage he could do abroad, and enough to hang himself if he does.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Morning all.

I'm not sure. I've been backing him since late last year. He has three important qualities which are currently scarce in the Labour Party: an understanding that the Corbyn thing is about policy not personality (having the balls to come out with a definite position on a second referendum is an important step and will probably swing at least 10pc his way); a well-organised campaign which seems to have been ready to go in decent scale, but which he was comfortable to keep quiet until the time was favourable; and, connected with that, enough of a media background to know how to get a hearing for his message.

I think that's absolutely spot on about the Labour right and centre. The climate has changed too, more generally - an anti-austerity message is more sellable in the country. But Smith will not be Momentum's candidate and that is going to be fatal to his chances.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Charles said:

ToryJim said:

@SouthamObserver

Yes, these are thoughtful comments. Whilst I expect quite a few FCO staff have woken up with headaches this morning, this is a job where Boris's faux comedian style will prove particularly inappropriate. He will need to master the brief and put in some work, for a change. And if he does mess up with some ill chosen gag that offends abroad, he is basically in 'one chance saloon' - because his job self evidently requires diplomacy, it will be obvious he has to be sacked and there will be no coming back, even for him.

Given the character and temperament he has displayed throughout his political career, it could almost be an exquisite form of torture...
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.