Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn will be on the ballot

Comments

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    PlatoSaid said:
    Oh golly, please not Amber Rudd at the Home Office!

Other moves seem good though
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Hey-hey, they did pull a trick worthy of the C'mmittee down the Wheeltappers & Shunters...
    https://twitter.com/austinrathe/status/752970245720055808

Lawyers, cancel your hols!

#CarryOnCorbyn

Isn't it their fault for leaving the meeting before it had been adjourned?
    Something like that should have been on the agenda for the meeting. If it wasn't...
    But legally, does it have to be? Surely any other business is all-encompassing.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

RodCrosby said:

Hey-hey, they did pull a trick worthy of the C'mmittee down the Wheeltappers & Shunters...

#CarryOnCorbyn

Now Robert about that earlier tweet.....but if true and wasn't on the agenda etc, there is going to be big trouble. It does make you wonder why Jezza left though, order of noodles arrived?
    AOB?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

LOL. Still, I doubt it will be enough. Nothing, I say nothing, will get the baby's hand off the bottle.
    Union members still have an easy way to vote, and don't forget that loads of the crazier leftist unions reaffiliated over the last year or so from the SWP or TUC party.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

OllyT said:

Moses_ said:

IMO Corbyn now has to stand on a ticket of mandatory reselection for all MPs.

Do you mean if he wins the contest Labour then should go into a full party reselection process? All MP's....?

Holy crap!
    Yes. Corbyn has lost the support of MPs of all political views. Left, Right, Blairite, Brownite, soft left, Blue Labour etc. Obviously all of these people are just 'wrong'. Consequently, the Labour party will become uniformly Corbynite. Unlike any other political party, Labour will cease to be a board church of views. Only Corbynism will be tolerated. It was always going to be this way as many Corbynites I've spoken to cannot deal with disagreement on any subject whatsoever.
    The hard left only needed to get the upper hand once. Now it has it will change the rules to ensure it never relinquishes it. As you say by 2020 it will be a 90% Corbynite party, everyone else will have left or been forced out. As a member till fairly recently I hope it is a pyrrhic victory and Labour end up with under 100 MPs at the next GE.
    Agreed. The militants need to be shown the public has the most contempt for their politics.
    Returning to the Millerites a moment. True believers can rationalise _anything_. Mere electoral defeat won't change their belief. It'll be due to external causes. Group cohesion is a scarily good way of dealing with disappointment.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited July 2016

PlatoSaid said:

Given it's historically a political graveyard (Theresa excepted) Amber Rudd at Home is probably good... Chances are that will be the finish of her career fairly shortly... ;)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Artist said:

DanSmith said:

eek said:

Lowlander said:

Opinions are dividing:

Hodges saying PLP are happier - game on.

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 6m6 minutes ago
    This shuts out: a) every lapsed Burnham, Cooper and Kendall voter and b) anyone who might have wanted to "Save Labour".

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 8m8 minutes ago
    People saying this makes it harder for Corbyn to win are out of their trees.

Hodges is delusional.

When did he last get ANYTHING about UK politics right?

He's as reliable as John McTernan. When he says something is going to happen, lay it.
    I actually think both statements are true. Stephen Bush is correct in that Corbyn will win this, the PLP are happy because they haven't realised what the makeup of the party membership was back in January (hint Corbyn supporters had arrived, others were letting / had let their membership lapse)..

As with everything we've seen from Labour its so near and yet so far... - the comedy continues...
    We know what the makeup of the Labour party thought a couple of weeks ago, it's been polled.

Eagle was only 10% behind and some of the members will not be eligible. Add to that the polling that suggests Union members think Corbyn is crap and that the contender might be someone better than Eagle. Still a chance?
    They need to find a credible unity candidate. Last chance dance.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Quick reminder of where Labour needs to win votes in order to win an election:

Cannock, Swindon, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Bury, Ilkeston, Beeston, Harlow, Crawley, Northampton, Corby, Stafford, Stockton, Blackpool, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Redditch, Basildon.

In other words, not London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

PlatoSaid said:

Are they seriously still suggesting Osborne as Foreign Secretary?!
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    OllyT said:

My seat in the North West has a Labour majority of 96 and I reckon the Tories will win it by well over 5000 in 2020 if Corbyn is still there.

Chester?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Lowlander said:

It seems that Labour might not be finished.

https://twitter.com/SimmPippa/status/752948854794907648

The guy who did so much for the Scottish and Australian Labo(u)r parties.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,981
    Looks like lapsed Labour members have until 8th August to reactivate their memberships to get a vote:
    https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/752970946290524161
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    So Jeremy remains High Sparrow, the fuse to the Wildfire remains unlit.....
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited July 2016
    HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

I was going to make a long rambly post musing how the labour market will now unfurl with the reduction in the import of cheap labour and the decreasing use of tax credits. Plus the effect of this on the margins of the larger corporations that have been growing in the last decade in the UK who have mainly relied on low margin, high volume models and how their inability to just super charge this model for the foreseeable may actually help the working classes in the long term (but not the short).

But then Corbyn comes along and ruins it, because we may have seen the death of major political party for the first time in the country since the Liberals were gobbled up by Labour.

The trend is that manufacturing is going the way of farming. In China manufacturing is *loosing jobs*. This is because wages have risen, and automation is accelerating. In the US, it is now competitive with China to build highly automated factories vs their lower levels of automation.

Manufacturing will, in only a few years, require a tiny percentage of the work force - like agriculture. As with agriculture, there will be a number of highly paid jobs and some very poorly paid work (moving boxes around, cleaning). Not much in between.
    Good point, it is in the middle management that the jobs really have gone. Computerisation has removed the need for so many people shuffling paper and so many people to manage them.
    Few jobs in manufacturing are in middle management, they used to be mass production those that remain will be highly skilled, there are still large numbers of middle managers elsewhere

Highly skilled technology quickly become out of date.

I can remember when the IBM 360 series computer was replaced by a new generation in the early 1970s and all the 360 experts were suddenly not required.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

The MSM seems to think Remainers can fill PM, CoE and Foreign positions...

I don't think that would work (unless Theresa wants to send out a message that she's not interested in Brexit at all)

A leaver has to take on of those positions. Gove to foreign would make the most sense. If there's a department that will need whipping into shape from it cosy EU ivory tower its the foreign office and Gove took on the education department quite successfully....
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Assuming that's a tent scenario. Osborne on the backbencher could be a problem
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

LOL. Still, I doubt it will be enough. Nothing, I say nothing, will get the baby's hand off the bottle.
    Union members still have an easy way to vote, and don't forget that loads of the crazier leftist unions reaffiliated over the last year or so from the SWP or TUC party.
    Yes. Most union members are anti-Corbyn but without a high profile alternative he'll get through. Labour are screwed – but nevertheless I think you Max for your sense of fair play. A sterling gent you are.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    RodCrosby said:

Friggin ell.

Labour Conference in Liverpool this year...

#CarryOnCorbyn

Get ur ass down there! Lol.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    Were you missold Labour party membership ?

Call 0800 WAT SON !
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

#CarryOnCorbyn

Isn't it their fault for leaving the meeting before it had been adjourned?
    Something like that should have been on the agenda for the meeting. If it wasn't...
    The agenda for the meeting was all about deciding the detail of the arrangements and timetable for the leadership contest. Anything relevant to that was by definition to be settled one way or another, as otherwise the contest could not have commenced forthwith.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Call 0800 WAT SON !

:smiley:
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

OllyT said:

My seat in the North West has a Labour majority of 96 and I reckon the Tories will win it by well over 5000 in 2020 if Corbyn is still there.

Chester?
    Well done, sir!

Actually I reckon it will be nearer 10,000
  • Options
    nunu said:

RodCrosby said:

Friggin ell.

#CarryOnCorbyn

Four days of reading paragraphs of Joe Bloggs vs the Showmen's Guild? I wouldn't wish that on my own worse enemy.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

I don't think that would work (unless Theresa wants to send out a message that she's not interested in Brexit at all)

A leaver has to take on of those positions. Gove to foreign would make the most sense. If there's a department that will need whipping into shape from it cosy EU ivory tower its the foreign office and Gove took on the education department quite successfully....
    So the Tories effect a Remain stitch up for the good of the country, while the NEC put an unelectable hard left winger on the ballot, despite his facing a rebellion of unprecedented scale, because "thems the rules".

Spot the difference. And weep.
  • Options

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Does Osborne have any support left? He blew the referendum. As much as it was Cameron's failure it was also Osborne's. I would have thought his career needs to go into intensive care and a period of "recovery" will be needed.

He might be able to come back one day (if he wants) but for now I'd have thought he'd recognize a period on the backbenches and taking some responsibility for this fiasco are needed.
  • Options
    I will be paying £I25 for me, my wife and three kids to register and to vote against Corbyn. A few mates, at least, will be doing the same with theirs. We'll get to 50 or 60 hopefully. If other clusters of well-off metropolitans who want to deprive the working class of unrestricted immigration and nuclear disarmament do the same, and the lapsed non-Corbynista members return to the fold to vote by 8th August, there may be a sniff of a chance JC can be beaten. It's certainly worth paying out the cash to find out.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited July 2016

Theresa May: a one-nation Tory in a one-party state

Get rid of Scotland and that might well be the case.

(And then Scotland would also be another one-party state under a female dictator..)
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

So the Tories effect a Remain stitch up for the good of the country
    Not unless they want to be destroyed at the next election...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

No, he listened to the Education department and took on the teachers instead. The ultimate form of house training.

Given he's a neocon, a belligerent and cursed with a pathological need to talk rather than listen, he would be an utterly catastrophic FS particularly now. Boris, Osborne, Cameron or even Fox would do better.
  • Options
    I really hope it's true that May is going to give Damien Green the Culture job. That will get the anti-BBC right wing nutters red-faced with fury.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638

Looks like lapsed Labour members have until 8th August to reactivate their memberships to get a vote:

Lapsed members will be those who joined no later than July 2015, or who joined later but cancelled their direct debits. I wonder how diligent the party will be in chasing up those who joined in July 2015 in the next month?
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91

Wow. That's clever. The lapsed members will all be anti Corbyn surely.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Who on Earth by? :-D

• Options

I really hope it's true that May is going to give Damien Green the Culture job. That will get the anti-BBC right wing nutters red-faced with fury.

How so, what's his story?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Moses_ said:

Do you mean if he wins the contest Labour then should go into a full party reselection process? All MP's....?

Holy crap!
    Yes. Corbyn has lost the support of MPs of all political views. Left, Right, Blairite, Brownite, soft left, Blue Labour etc. Obviously all of these people are just 'wrong'. Consequently, the Labour party will become uniformly Corbynite. Unlike any other political party, Labour will cease to be a board church of views. Only Corbynism will be tolerated. It was always going to be this way as many Corbynites I've spoken to cannot deal with disagreement on any subject whatsoever.
    The hard left only needed to get the upper hand once. Now it has it will change the rules to ensure it never relinquishes it. As you say by 2020 it will be a 90% Corbynite party, everyone else will have left or been forced out. As a member till fairly recently I hope it is a pyrrhic victory and Labour end up with under 100 MPs at the next GE.

It'll certainly be under 200. And in a lonely corner of the Rochdale count someone will be mumbling "Eagles would have done worse" :-)

I reckon Leicester West and South would not be safe for Corbyn Labour. Possibly not Keith Vaz's Leicester East too.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

If the Tories abandoned Brexit completely they'd win with a majority of at least 50.

Have you seen the Labour Party?*

*P.S. Ukip are a comedy party. Won't happen.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

On balance, when the dust settles, tonight may yet turn out to be a poor one for the Trots.

Keeping Corbyn off the ballot was always a long shot, and relied on some very poorly drafted rules notwithstanding the clear intention of Collins that the leader should always have significant support from the PLP.

By contrast, with the clear evidence that the balance of party opinion from existing members has moved against Corbyn, although not yet by quite enough, the six month freeze date et al has been the more significant change. The prospect of new joiners offsetting that move in opinion has been quashed.

Overall I think tonight has improved the chances of Corbyn being toppled, although the odds are still on him hanging on.

Lab really did need Leadsom and her gang of nutters. Would have made even Burnham seem an ok choice by comparison.

Instead the new PM has tacked left so the Lab middle ground has nowhere to go. I would still be very happy with a Stevie K or a Chuka or even Hilary god help us. But they remain unable to construct a sensible position that is to the left of what is nominally now a leftish-ish government.
    Leadsom would have been able to appeal to the 7/10 Labour constituencies that voted Leave.
    It's a fair point but, and I say this cautiously given all we've seen, I believe that most people compartmentalise such decisions. I just can't see a Lab => Con switch by traditional Lab voters. UKIP perhaps, NOTA could be. But full tilt over to Cons? Not so sure. Cons and their legacy are still the enemy in a lot of Lab constituencies.
    +1. In the north, Yorkshire and Wales Labour are not the Labour party, they are simply not the Conservatives. The SNP showed that those votes can be taken (and once taken its a landslide) but that party needs a name that doesn't begin Conservat....
    The Midlands has more of a tradition of voters switching directly between Labour and the Tories.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

So the Tories effect a Remain stitch up for the good of the country, while the NEC put an unelectable hard left winger on the ballot, despite his facing a rebellion of unprecedented scale, because "thems the rules".

Why do you hate democracy so?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Call 0800 WAT SON !

Reminds me of these (American-made) Youtube classics from years back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oNjTuTz-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYgXedpeMuc
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Very europhile, leftwing Tory. I had breakfast with him once, randomly. Really nice guy – one of the nicest MPs you'll ever meet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

He is a former BBC and CH4 man.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

If the Tories abandoned Brexit completely they'd win with a majority of at least 50.

Perhaps the Tories abandoning Brexit would instead destroy Labour (if they need any help) by helping UKIP to sweep through their heartlands.
  • Options
    Just had this email from SavingLbour (the anti-cornyn group):-

"Britain is a different country today than it was three weeks ago. We have a new Prime Minister, and she must be held to account by a Labour Party that represents us, ordinary people. Jeremy Corbyn is simply unable to take the Party forward and properly represent people like us.

Registration to help choose the next Labour Leader starts on Monday - and only lasts two days. That means we’ve only got the rest of this week to prepare to save the Labour Party.

Working together, we're stronger than they think. Share Saving Labour with your friends below"

The bit about registration is unclear to me. We intended to rejoin to vote against Corbyn but my understanding is that that no longer possible.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

They wouldn't need to not be a comedy party - if the Tories don't go for full english brexit it will be difficult given the slim majority, if they abandoned Brexit they'd split faster than Labour are doing. Labour are hardly in a place to capitalise right now, but it wouldn't stop the Tories splitting.

Good night,
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

I've got a feeling UKIP are very soon going to elect a leader who will be far more popular than Farage... These are dangerous times for Lab and Con.

The genie is out of the bottle. If they abandon Brexit they will deserve everything they have coming to them.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Does Osborne have any support left? He blew the referendum. As much as it was Cameron's failure it was also Osborne's. I would have thought his career needs to go into intensive care and a period of "recovery" will be needed.

He might be able to come back one day (if he wants) but for now I'd have thought he'd recognize a period on the backbenches and taking some responsibility for this fiasco are needed.
    It shouldn't be his decision. TM must sack him.
  • Options
    Is Theresa about to deliver a ruthless europhile sweep of cabinet?

Come on, I need cheering up.

I think the tired cliche on here for such occasions is "popcorn" or some such.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    JenS said:

Wow. That's clever. The lapsed members will all be anti Corbyn surely.
    Problem is Labour added nearly 100k members between Jeremy's election and Jan 2016.

That's a hell of a lot of lapsed members to bring in to vote for Argclu.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

I've got a feeling UKIP are very soon going to elect a leader who will be far more popular than Farage... These are dangerous times for Lab and Con.

The genie is out of the bottle. If they abandon Brexit they will deserve everything they have coming to them.
    In all honesty I don't think it will be abandoned.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Most of the fruitcakes on here have already jumped ship for UKIP....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

Who?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

Perhaps the Tories abandoning Brexit would instead destroy Labour (if they need any help) by helping UKIP to sweep through their heartlands.
    It would certainly hit Labour in areas like Stoke and Mansfield and Grimsby and Hartlepool and Sunderland but the Tories could also be hit in seats like Thanet, Dover, Harlow, Basildon and Boston and Skegness
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

Well considering the UK just voted to leave the EU I am not sure of much of a comedy party they are. Their primary goal has been accomplished.

Meanwhile Labour continue to dick about and are quickly becoming irrelevant.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

"Britain is a different country today than it was three weeks ago. We have a new Prime Minister, and she must be held to account by a Labour Party that represents us, ordinary people. Jeremy Corbyn is simply unable to take the Party forward and properly represent people like us.

Registration to help choose the next Labour Leader starts on Monday - and only lasts two days. That means we’ve only got the rest of this week to prepare to save the Labour Party.

Working together, we're stronger than they think. Share Saving Labour with your friends below"

The bit about registration is unclear to me. We intended to rejoin to vote against Corbyn but my understanding is that that no longer possible.

I think it's £25
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Chester?
    Well done, sir!

Could all depend on boundary changes, obviously. The aborted 2013 review version of the seat would probably be notionally Tory on 2015 results as it brought in more rural territory. But there were some very unsatisfactory seats drawn in that review, so they should carve it up differently this time.

That said, I'm not sure Corbyn-led Labour would have a prayer on *any* set of boundaries.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    CiF is a rather depressing place at the moment, so many journalist and pundits in total befuddlement as the light of ‘progressive politics’ dims to that of a glowing fag end.
  • Options
    saddened said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

Who?
    Steven Woolfe.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

I was going to make a long rambly post musing how the labour market will now unfurl with the reduction in the import of cheap labour and the decreasing use of tax credits. Plus the effect of this on the margins of the larger corporations that have been growing in the last decade in the UK who have mainly relied on low margin, high volume models and how their inability to just super charge this model for the foreseeable may actually help the working classes in the long term (but not the short).

But then Corbyn comes along and ruins it, because we may have seen the death of major political party for the first time in the country since the Liberals were gobbled up by Labour.

The trend is that manufacturing is going the way of farming. In China manufacturing is *loosing jobs*. This is because wages have risen, and automation is accelerating. In the US, it is now competitive with China to build highly automated factories vs their lower levels of automation.

Manufacturing will, in only a few years, require a tiny percentage of the work force - like agriculture. As with agriculture, there will be a number of highly paid jobs and some very poorly paid work (moving boxes around, cleaning). Not much in between.
    Good point, it is in the middle management that the jobs really have gone. Computerisation has removed the need for so many people shuffling paper and so many people to manage them.
    Few jobs in manufacturing are in middle management, they used to be mass production those that remain will be highly skilled, there are still large numbers of middle managers elsewhere

I can remember when the IBM 360 series computer was replaced by a new generation in the early 1970s and all the 360 experts were suddenly not required.
    Yes but you just need experts in something else instead
  • Options

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

I doubt they are abandoning it, if I am honest. But if they are I should imagine they would see that as a bonus!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

I thought post-Brexit experts were out of jobs ;-)
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

saddened said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

Who?
    Steven Woolfe.
    Who?
  • Options
    Off topic. Moody's heat map for Brexit.

https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/752976825815629824
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Looks like a lot of educated guesswork to me... I still think a LEAVER has to fill one of the two top jobs in this government (CoE or Foreign Sec) otherwise it just looks like Mrs May is entirely unserious about Brexit (which of course, she might be)
    Yes, there must be a senior LEAVER. Johnson as Foreign Sec makes sense to me.

Or maybe Grayling as Chancellor?

Boris would love being Foreign Sec - all that travel and hobnobbing. Plus May would like it as it would keep him out of the country a lot and there are no votes to be won from foreign affairs.
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Why do you hate democracy so?
    Erm, I don't. Where do you get the idea that having a party leader that is opposed by a PLP elected by millions is democratically sound?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Iain Dale's cabinet guesses:

"Prime Minister: Theresa May
    Chancellor: Philip Hammond
    Foreign Secretary: David Davis or Liam Fox
    Chief Secretary: Andrea Leadsom
    Home Secretary: Jeremy Hunt
    Cabinet Office/EU: Chris Grayling
    Party Chairman: Justine Greening
    Business: Sajid Javid
    Justice: Greg Clark
    Transport: Brandon Lewis
    Education: Nicky Morgan
    Health: Mark Harper"

http://iaindale.com/posts/2016/07/12/mrs-may-s-cabinet-dilemmas-whoever-she-appoints-the-balance-will-be-heavily-in-favour-of-remain

• Options
    Seamus very happy on Newsnight clip....
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Britain does NOT need experts in anything.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

When did you lapse? You may be able to reactivate your membership. You have until 8th August.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    OllyT said:

And how exactly did the staged resignations from the shadow cabinet contribute towards holding the government to account? Baffled.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

http://iaindale.com/posts/2016/07/12/mrs-may-s-cabinet-dilemmas-whoever-she-appoints-the-balance-will-be-heavily-in-favour-of-remain

Well that is quite completely different to the Telegraph reports...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

UKIP are not going to sweep through anywhere . their councillors are deserting them , they cannot find candidates to contest most by elections and have no money to fight a good campaign when they do .
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,329
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

That presupposes that the Tories can be bothered with the Leave/Remain thing any more. I suspect they want to put the whole nasty business behind them and get on with creating a powerful electoral force. The Tories won't want to keep banging the old Brexit drum, now that the decision has been made and they've come through it relatively unscathed. They'll keep quiet about it for a bit, then everyone else will have forgotten about it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:
    Looks like a lot of educated guesswork to me... I still think a LEAVER has to fill one of the two top jobs in this government (CoE or Foreign Sec) otherwise it just looks like Mrs May is entirely unserious about Brexit (which of course, she might be)

Boris would love being Foreign Sec - all that travel and hobnobbing. Plus May would like it as it would keep him out of the country a lot and there are no votes to be won from foreign affairs.
    Would you trust Boris not to errh erhh how can I put this, show the best of British to attractive foreign ladies?
  • Options

Ian Dale, seriously? He is as sunk as Montie and as irrelevant.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

It would bemore advisable and safer to appoint Boris as ‘special’ trade envoy to Outer Roatan.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    nunu said:

RodCrosby said:

Friggin ell.

#CarryOnCorbyn

The irony. The creatures of the 1980s are still alive and kicking, and can be assured to give the plotters a 'warm' Liverpool welcome.
    They were there at Corbyn's meeting last year, even before he was elected.
    http://www.liverpoolconfidential.co.uk/news-and-comment/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-liverpool-adelphi-rally
  • Options
    saddened said:

MP_SE said:

saddened said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

Who?
    Steven Woolfe.
    Who?
    A few post leadership election interviews will sort that problem out.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Ian Dale, seriously? He is as sunk as Montie and as irrelevant.
    Mr Dale's LibDem predictions a year ago were a hoot!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

You want to put Boris in charge of MI6 and GCHQ?
  • Options

OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Moses_ said:

Holy crap!

It'll certainly be under 200. And in a lonely corner of the Rochdale count someone will be mumbling "Eagles would have done worse" :-)

I reckon Leicester West and South would not be safe for Corbyn Labour. Possibly not Keith Vaz's Leicester East too.
    Well, he's not going to win in Bury - that unfortunate anti-semitism business won't exactly play well.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Very europhile, leftwing Tory. I had breakfast with him once, randomly. Really nice guy – one of the nicest MPs you'll ever meet.

He is Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary BBC Group

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Would you trust Boris not to errh erhh how can I put this, show the best of British to attractive foreign ladies?
    He should be OK unless the forces want to launch a major thrust.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,508
    Watching "Independence Day" on E4 :)
  • Options
    glw said:

There is no way that Boris is going to get a big job. DCLG or DCMS at best imo, if that. May doesn't have to reward him, he didn't even stand.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

CiF is a rather depressing place at the moment, so many journalist and pundits in total befuddlement as the light of ‘progressive politics’ dims to that of a glowing fag end.
    Tbh CiF is full of totally clueless people. There is literally no helping Cifers.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Crickey...Newsnight showing a charming email sent to Eagles today!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

UKIP are not going to sweep through anywhere . their councillors are deserting them , they cannot find candidates to contest most by elections and have no money to fight a good campaign when they do .
    How do Lib Dems on the ground see the prospect of an SDP 2? Opportunity or threat?
  • Options

OllyT said:

When did you lapse? You may be able to reactivate your membership. You have until 8th August.

Thanks. We voted in the first Corbyn election and resigned after that but I can't remember when we were paid up till - will give it a go and see if we can renew!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214

Watching "Independence Day" on E4 :)

The last 24 hours have been really exciting!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Again, seriously, can ANYONE watch this Newsnight interview and really say with a straight face that Eagle is more electable than Corbyn?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

They have Arron Banks' millions now May is PM
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    John_M said:

glw said:

There is no way that Boris is going to get a big job. DCLG or DCMS at best imo, if that. May doesn't have to reward him, he didn't even stand.
    DCMS wouldn't be a bad fit if Ofcom was moved out of harm's way.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

Won't happen.

How do Lib Dems on the ground see the prospect of an SDP 2? Opportunity or threat?
    Clearly they'll have to form an Alliance...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Tour de France fans -

Just finished watching today's stage. Can anyone enlighten me as to why the word ARSE was painted on the road a couple of times today?

Ditto the phrase FUCK LIMOGES appeared on the road several times over the last 3 stages too.

On the plus side the Yorkshire flag has been seen several times.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HaroldO said:

HaroldO said:

Britain does NOT need experts in anything.
    Any successful country needs experts in the technology of the day
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Chester?
    Well done, sir!

It was odd how Labour gained Chester while losing Vale of Clwyd just down the road.
This discussion has been closed.