Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn will be on the ballot

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    After Monday, I thought it would be hard to top it in terms of political shocks/surprises/madness - but Tuesday has managed that.

What will Wednesday bring? We have PMQs, a new PM, maybe the appointment of key members of the new Cabinet

What can Labour do to descend further into chaos?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016
    Tories should be building strong teams now in Chester, Wirral west, Halifax etc, strong possibility of seat gains now with Corbyn as leader.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    edited July 2016

After Monday, I thought it would be hard to top it in terms of political shocks/surprises/madness - but Tuesday has managed that.

What will Wednesday bring? We have PMQs, a new PM, maybe the appointment of key members of the new Cabinet

Have you seen the reaction to the £25 charge on twitter ?

"Blairite poll tax" one of the kinder descriptions.

Amusing they left a unite sized hole though
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,505
    RobD said:
    I wonder what constitutes a "duff" Class 66?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think there could well be moves by the Labour Party to sue the Labour Party as well as moves by members of the Labour Party to sue the Labour Party. Lawyers will be rubbing their hands with glee.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

RobD said:
    The one in the picture? :D
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

Tomorrow we find out whether Theresa is serious about Brexit or not... If Osborne and the other REMAINERS get the most senior positions we'll have our answer,..
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think there could well be moves by the Labour Party to sue the Labour Party as well as moves by members of the Labour Party to sue the Labour Party. Lawyers will be rubbing their hands with glee.
    I said to @Jobabob earlier today that Labour's best course of action would just be to lose the next GE with Jezza in charge so it can be shown that he is unelectable.
  • Options

RobD said:
    But that IS a Class 66!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited July 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I said to @Jobabob earlier today that Labour's best course of action would just be to lose the next GE with Jezza in charge so it can be shown that he is unelectable.
    Ms. Eagles would say there's losing and then there's LOSING...

Losing 30% to 37% is one thing but what if they lose 25% to 45%, etc.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The trainspotting programme was using background music by Depeche Mode. Good choice!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Ms. Eagles would say there's losing and then there's LOSING...

Losing 30% to 37% is one thing but what if they lose 25% to 45%, etc.
    Either Corbyn or Eagle wins around 200 seats I think.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2016
    @YBarddCwsc

Why am I blaming him? Because he is the Leader of the Labour party. At the end of the day the buck stops with him. If Angela Eagle was so terrible in the leadership debates the real question is why did Corbyn's leadership let her have such a platform in the first place?

Corbyn's massive mandate does not mean he does not have to inspire the confidence of his MPs. He should not be automatically given 2-3 years to come up with a coherent message. Labour made the same mistake with Ed Miliband. It was Ed Miliband's inability to come up with a coherent vision supported by policies which led to Labour losing a GE. The public make up their minds about leaders pretty quickly: especially in a 24-hour media world. Consequently those who start off their leadership with low approval ratings usually never recover.

The PLP did not destabilise Corbyn. Corbyn was unable to run a successful operation as leader of the Labour party. There were several reports under him that Labour HQ was a total mess. If Corbyn cannot run a political party he cannot run the country. It is not reasonable to ask why all PLP members did not resign their seats. That is not how parliamentary democracy works. Whenever MPs do not have confidence in their leader that leader is expected to resign and it is simple as that. One individual does not override the entire parliamentary Labour party.

And while the PLP are not particularly representative of Labour voters, the situation is even worse in regard to the membership. The difference is, is that the PLP care about winning elections, which means (to a degree) they consider the views of voters. The membership do not care about winning elections, and consequently they do not care about the views of Labour voters or indeed anyone else.

Ditching Corbyn will not solve all Labour's problems. What it will do though, is offer the opportunity of electing a leader who considers views outside of the Labour membership. And if Labour lose members then so be it. Potentially losing people who refuse to acknowledge views outside of Islington will be a good thing for Labour.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The trainspotting programme was using background music by Depeche Mode. Good choice!

Really?

Which song? I didn't see it!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Heidi Alexander ‏@heidi_mp 24m24 minutes ago
    God, this is awful. John, I resigned because the whole operation was f*#$ing useless not because of a plot.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

AndyJS said:

Really?

I think it was Just Can't Get Enough, playing in the background about half way through.

Also Depeche Mode appeared on last week's vintage Top of the Pops episode, at 15 mins 45 secs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07jl1bb/top-of-the-pops-11021982
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think that would be enough for Corbyn to go. He would just say he needs more time to get his message across - and by that time, more of his followers would be in positions of power.

Labour does not have an exit strategy.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Really?

I think it was Just Can't Get Enough, playing in the background about half way through.

Also Depeche Mode appeared on last week's vintage Top of the Pops episode, at 15 mins 45 secs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07jl1bb/top-of-the-pops-11021982
    Thanks!

Yes, I saw the TOTP clip.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think that would be a good idea because they might lose seats to UKIP which would be difficult to win back again.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think that would be enough for Corbyn to go. He would just say he needs more time to get his message across - and by that time, more of his followers would be in positions of power.

A modest suggestion: perhaps it should consider finding & then expressing the will of the people?

Who knows, it might win the next Referendum..

And even gain power!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    SNP Government didn't send out a 'blanket letter' to inform Scottish parents about the Named Person law, but now says this is the right approach after Brexit vote!

The Courier - German woman resident in Tayside ‘alarmed’ by Brexit letter

"An SNP spokesman said: “Graeme Dey and other SNP parliamentarians have rightly taken the lead in engaging with EU citizens in their constituencies and ensuring them that they remain welcome in Scotland and their contribution is valued.”"
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    I think I speak for at least some Tories in that I don't want an uncompetitive one party state. However I *do* want Labour and their supporters to have a taste of the kind of entrenched desperation and despair that we had to suffer in 97, 01 and to a lesser extent 05.

That entails a far bigger majority than 12.

Yes, I know, the 80s. But many are too young to have been there, me included.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

A modest suggestion: perhaps it should consider finding & then expressing the will of the people?

And even gain power!
    There is no such thing as 'the will of the people'

Though I suspect we are pretty close to having everyone believing 'enough, already'
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,207

I think I speak for at least some Tories in that I don't want an uncompetitive one party state. However I *do* want Labour and their supporters to have a taste of the kind of entrenched desperation and despair that we had to suffer in 97, 01 and to a lesser extent 05.

That entails a far bigger majority than 12.

Yes, I know, the 80s. But many are too young to have been there, me included.

As long as Theresa May doesn't start talking about the Conservatives being the 'political wing of the British people' I doubt the same sense of despair could be fully recreated.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And even gain power!

Though I suspect we are pretty close to having everyone believing 'enough, already'
    er.. have you ever considered accepting an election result?
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And even gain power!

That isn't the will of the people - because there will never be unanimity on any topic. An election result is just the result of a process whereby individuals make a choice and the political class has to deal with the electoral maths.

That is not the considered will of the people because no such thing exists.

It is, in essence, a collective unconscious compromise.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And even gain power!

That isn't the will of the people - because there will never be unanimity on any topic. An election result is just the result of a process whereby individuals make a choice and the political class has to deal with the electoral maths.

Well, lets reduce it to a binary choice - Yes or No on a particular subject.

I pick 1938

So, Anchshluss = Ja or Nein.

The people spoke, there was no electoral maths.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And even gain power!

I pick 1938

Sorry but you don't seem to be grasping the simple point I am making. Even in 1938 there was not complete agreement - there were still those who opposed it openly and more who opposed it in private but chose not to rock the boat. It was still not the 'will of the people'

All anyone can ever hope is to persuade enough people to support your particular combination of policies and personalities to give you a chance of power. But to try to claim that as the will of the people is to delude yourself. You will never get everyone on side. Ever.
  • Options

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

And even gain power!

I pick 1938

Sorry but you don't seem to be grasping the simple point I am making. Even in 1938 there was not complete agreement - there were still those who opposed it openly and more who opposed it in private but chose not to rock the boat. It was still not the 'will of the people'

All anyone can ever hope is to persuade enough people to support your particular combination of policies and personalities to give you a chance of power. But to try to claim that as the will of the people is to delude yourself. You will never get everyone on side. Ever.
    Ok, so my reply was difficult to answer.

Lets define terms: The will of the people is the response of the people to a simple question at a particular time.

Ja or Nein?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,819
    NEW Obituary THREAD
This discussion has been closed.