Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn will be on the ballot

Comments

• Options

Events, dear boy, events...

Sarah Melv
    @sarah_eyebrows
    Momentum openly considering challenging the NEC on cut-off dates not half an hour after declaring all NEC decisions final.

I hope they mean via the courts and not via some of their other tactics..
    Well, quite.

Clarification: cut off date for member eligibility is now 12th Jan 16.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

IMO Corbyn now has to stand on a ticket of mandatory reselection for all MPs.

Makes feck all difference who Momentum "select" now as most of them are going to lose to the Tories away.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,761

Alistair said:

RodCrosby said:
    So wait, that means no 3 quidders at all are currently eligible?
    Eh? So I or anyone else can still register as a supporter from Thursday and vote but it is no longer £3 it is £25. WTF.
    A cut off and a free for all at the same time. Completely hat-stand.
  • Options
    John_M said:
    Why on earth can they fish six miles from our coast when the EU dosent let us nearer than 12 miles from their coast?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    U.S. Capitol complex in DC is in lockdown.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    US Capitol in lockdown apparently
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,329
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

OK, now is the time for May to make a big, open offer to moderate, sensible Labour members to jump ship. Kendall, Chuka, Tristram... We'd even take Woodward back. Maybe.

Pre-empt the Lab split by getting some of their better people to join a decent, centrist Tory administration - it would be a stroke of genius.

May could do that but then IDS, Patterson, Leadsom, Rees-Mogg, Redwood, Tebbit, Cash etc would then swiftly move to UKIP in response
    HYUFD said:

OK, now is the time for May to make a big, open offer to moderate, sensible Labour members to jump ship. Kendall, Chuka, Tristram... We'd even take Woodward back. Maybe.

Pre-empt the Lab split by getting some of their better people to join a decent, centrist Tory administration - it would be a stroke of genius.

May could do that but then IDS, Patterson, Leadsom, Rees-Mogg, Redwood, Tebbit, Cash etc would then swiftly move to UKIP in response
    No they wouldn't. There will be very few moves to UKIP now from the right.
    Disagree, if May agrees EEA/EFTA the likes of Cash and Patterson and IDS could be off to UKIP like a rocket, certainly with Labour now effectively redundant as a real opposition to the May government
    Nah, the Tory eurosceptic right will now be pretty content - the sovereignty issue is settled as far as they're concerned. I doubt they regard the whole EEFTA/FoM thing as anything other than an esoteric quibble. They certainly won't be losing their safe Tory seats over it.
    Cash and Patterson and IDS and Rees-Mogg are firmly anti freedom of movement and the seats they represent, rural market town and Essex border are hardly likely to switch to UKIP with them if they defect
    If the gentlemen you mention didn't defect to UKIP when the Holy Grail of Brexit was still in the balance, they're not going to do so just to comfort a few xenophobes. Move on! UKIP is just so 2014...
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Lowlander said:

Why is a team from Gibraltar called the 'Lincoln Red Imps' ?

It sounds like the name of a pub team.

Because it probably is.
    Yeah, but the Lincoln Imp is a well-known legend from Lincoln Cathedral. I'm just wondering how it got transferred to Gib (even via a pub).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Imp
    There's a Lincoln connection;

" Founded in 1978, the club’s name was the brainchild of Reg Brealey, a friend of owner Charles Polson.

Brealey, famed for his stint as Chairman of Sheffield United in the 1980s as well as having links with his native Lincoln City, provided the club with playing kits and income through various means of sponsorship."
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Tim_B said:

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

Do I have this right? I have paid £60 to be a full Labour party member, but don't get a vote in the leadership election; however, if I pay another £25 I can? Doesn't make much sense, but if those are the rules I'll abide.

What the hell, your membership costs £60? Even Tory membership is only £25.
    But the Tories don´t let you vote.....
    But as a doctrinally pure Labourite you can feel incredibly smug, like a Prius driver.
    Or as South Park brilliantly coined them Pious drivers...
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Trump has another good line: 'Bernie Sanders endorsing Crooked Hillary Clinton is like Occupy Wall Street endorsing Goldman Sachs'

It's over, let it go. Trump's only hope since emailgate closed was Sanders running third party. It's done. Finished. Kaput.

Trump is toast.
    Just like Leave is since Obamas back of the queue speech...oh wait.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    IANAL but the BBC is reporting that members are upset about the restrictions on voting for leader announced by the NEC. They point out that the Party website seems to promise that members get a vote - without specifying any restrictions.

I suppose they have a case for claiming their money back.

This is getting very sad. :frowning:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213
    £25 to vote? Nice little ear earner.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638

Do I have this right? I have paid £60 to be a full Labour party member, but don't get a vote in the leadership election; however, if I pay another £25 I can? Doesn't make much sense, but if those are the rules I'll abide.

There are some occasions when it is better to pay by monthly direct debit. £3.92 per month with the option to cancel v £47 per year standard rate. £1.96pm v £23.50 reduced. Or £5pm v £60 if you choose to pay a bit extra as did Southam.

I'm happy to reveal that now Plato won't be able to take advantage of it in time.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,479
    Alistair said:

RodCrosby said:
    So wait, that means no 3 quidders at all are currently eligible?
    So, from Thursday SaveLabour operation can get people to pay £25 and vote out Corbyn? A chink of light?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2016
    Class action law suit here we go....all them £3er's wanting their money back.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Interesting fact about Celtic losing to Lincoln Imps.

The entire population of Gibraltar could be seated inside Celtic Park.

Twice.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,654
    So I was on a dinner date with a 20 something Corbynista.

Good Lord.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Lowlander said:

alex. said:

For a little light relief - Champions of Scotland about to lose to the champions of ... Gibraltar!

The world is truly turned upside down.
    To be fair, Celtic getting pumped by minnows in early Euro qualifiers is more "business as usual".
    I barely follow football, but know my brother supports Celtic.
  • Options

Good Lord.

Second date in the offing?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154

Lowlander said:

Why is a team from Gibraltar called the 'Lincoln Red Imps' ?

It sounds like the name of a pub team.

Because it probably is.
    Yeah, but the Lincoln Imp is a well-known legend from Lincoln Cathedral. I'm just wondering how it got transferred to Gib (even via a pub).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Imp
    There's a Lincoln connection;

" Founded in 1978, the club’s name was the brainchild of Reg Brealey, a friend of owner Charles Polson.

Brealey, famed for his stint as Chairman of Sheffield United in the 1980s as well as having links with his native Lincoln City, provided the club with playing kits and income through various means of sponsorship."
    Ah, brilliant.

Thanks.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    So this is what Carry on Couping looks like. For God's sake don't let any PLP members go anywhere near a rake. It could prove fatal.
  • Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67
    So all the Labour whips have resigned which makes the SNP the official opposition unless Corbyn can find some new ones by tomorrow right?

But he already ran out of people to appoint to the shadow ministerial team, there are still vacancies. And he can't get shadow ministers to double up as whips, because whips can't speak in the chamber.

What is his way out? Change some shadow ministers to whips and get other shadow ministers to double up?
  • Options
    You have to admire the Labour Party - if your party is gonna be flushed down the pan you may as well pocket as much cash as you can before you go round the u-bend
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Lowlander said:

Interesting fact about Celtic losing to Lincoln Imps.

The entire population of Gibraltar could be seated inside Celtic Park.

Twice.

There was an interesting factoid I saw today, a total of 268 people in Iceland watched tv shows other than the footy when it was on.
  • Options

Good Lord.

Second date in the offing?
    Possibly, it maybe the second date might include a #IStandWithJeremy rally
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

Class action law suit here we go....all them £3er's wanting their money back.

3 quidders weren't eligible anyway. Their £3 was for the last contest - they would have had to pay again to vote in this one, just the fee has gone up. It the paid up members who might demand their money back.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

Good Lord.

She stunned you with her eloquence, intelligence, and sophisticated politics? There's bound to be some.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    And we are supposed to believe the "moderates" could competently lead the party, when they can't even read their rules properly?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited July 2016
    SeanT said:

Labour leader of Camden Council not happy

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Hayward/status/752962164760186881

If I were a professional soothsayer, I'd predict that Labour is headed for a *spot of bother*

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3168/478/1600/albert steptoe.jpg
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Good Lord.

She stunned you with her eloquence, intelligence, and sophisticated politics? There's bound to be some.
    Yup, she even knew how AV works, she's a keeper
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    John_M said:

Omnium said:

Corbyn murdered Labour today.

Disagree. It was the 35 muppets who nominated him that put the gun to Labour's head. The NEC have simply pulled the trigger. They've been destroyed by their own shitty, shitty rules.
    In 20 years time you'll just remember that Corbyn murdered Labour today.

(For what it's worth I think that the reformation of the Left will be a really positive thing. In the mean time though the left should at least in part join in with the new PM's vision.)
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    BBC confirm:

Labour has just put out an amended press release, with a cut-off date of 12 January - the party previously said it would be February (see below).

Its general secretary Iain McNicol recently said 129,726 people had joined since the EU Referendum - these people will not be able to vote (unless they pay an extra £25).
  • Options

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

I should hope so, as given the former I assume you proposed.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

THE SNP IS NOW THE OPPOSITION. APPARENTLY.

lol doesn't really cover it, does it?

It's like a seven week crack bender for politics geeks, with some heroin on the side. And meth.

Just when you think the current outpouring of history has to slow down at some point, the taps open wider.
    Somebody in a garage somewhere has invented the Improbability Drive.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

@Independent: Exclusive: Theresa May’s husband is senior executive at a $1.4tn hedge fund that profits from tax avoiding companies https://t.co/6A4XGC3QUQ

Labour will be all over this.

oh, wait...

They are really stretching with that tweet...

Capital is like Fidelity - it's not a hedge fund

And the "profits from tax avoiding companies" is because they have shares in Amazon and Starbucks
    bastard!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

U.S. Capitol complex in DC is in lockdown.

Hope this nothing serious. Plus, also pls pls don't knock Labour's complete f-ing WTF meltdown further down the running order.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

BBC confirm:

Labour has just put out an amended press release, with a cut-off date of 12 January - the party previously said it would be February (see below).

Its general secretary Iain McNicol recently said 129,726 people had joined since the EU Referendum - these people will not be able to vote (unless they pay an extra £25).

Do we know how many have joined since 12 January?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

I'm never getting married again, my long term plan is to have a harem
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The Chicken Coup plotters are defeated and humiliated.A great day for democracy in the Labour party.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: Klaxon - existing new members may not even be allowed to become registered supporter paying £25. Unholy mess https://t.co/7U6ypxWvPl
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,689

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, for goodness sake! All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and from some who are old enough to know better is a bit pathetic. We had all the same predictions when Foot was leader and especially when he lost the 1983 election. We also heard much the same about the Conservatives after 2001.

Labour as a party is not going to die. I very much doubt it will split. It may well lose the 2020 general election but then the Conservatives lost three GEs in a row before they found their feet again and started to appeal to people outside their core vote.

Foot kept Labour ahead of the SDP in second place, I would not be so certain Corbyn can hold off UKIP. The Tories got rid of IDS in 2003 before the LDs became a real threat, Labour are about to re-elect Corbyn
    Mr. HYFUD, if UKIP is to survive, let alone become a real threat to Labour it has going to have to change and change quite quickly. Farage has done it a huge favour now that his task is complete but I think there will be a battle for what sort of Party it should become.

I think the chances of it morphing into a party that will appeal to the Northern Cities are rather lower than it fading away. After all the Party was set up with one goal in mind that has been achieved, why should it continue and who is going to pay for it?
    It will continue focusing on an anti immigration, nationalist, traditionalist platform, especially if May agrees to some form of free movement. Funding will come from the likes of Leave.EU's Aaron Banks who has a net worth of £250 million and promised to pour money into the party if May won the Tory leadership
    Take your point on funding, but I am not sure that focusing on immigration, nationalism and tradition will be enough to win seats, though. But we shall see.
    Against Corbyn Labour in northern and midlands working class towns and against May's Tories in Essex and Kent I would say UKIP have an excellent chance of picking up seats
    Gosh, I so much want to say, "Want to bet?" But let common sense prevail it is too far away and too much will happen in the interim.
    The only problem with that is UKIP itself - it is not an effective party at the "ground game". This is not me being rude about them. It is simply an observation of what has happened in the past.

Transforming UKIP into a party that can win parliamentary seats will take a very large amount of work. The question is who can lead the party in that direction?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Any remaining political satirists will be looking for new employment by this evening.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

But she'll only Yes if TSE was the least disliked of her suitors.

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638
    Contrived outrage in all honesty. It's quite normal. Labour routinely operates freeze dates for selections for the likes of local government elections. You can join and vote in leadership elections in due course, just don't join a few weeks before a leadership election for the purpose of influencing it.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,981

Going to be a race to see who resigns first: you or Falconer....

No, I'll pay the £25.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Corbyn's lawyer: "we spent the whole day arguing over two sentences"...

Good job there were no commas involved.
  • Options

BBC confirm:

There is going to be merry hell to pay on this decision. You joined last week and now they are asking for another £25!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,644
    Feels like the membership freeze is going to be very controversial
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

It's like a seven week crack bender for politics geeks, with some heroin on the side. And meth.

Just when you think the current outpouring of history has to slow down at some point, the taps open wider.
    :smile:
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    I was going to make a long rambly post musing how the labour market will now unfurl with the reduction in the import of cheap labour and the decreasing use of tax credits. Plus the effect of this on the margins of the larger corporations that have been growing in the last decade in the UK who have mainly relied on low margin, high volume models and how their inability to just super charge this model for the foreseeable may actually help the working classes in the long term (but not the short).

But then Corbyn comes along and ruins it, because we may have seen the death of major political party for the first time in the country since the Liberals were gobbled up by Labour.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, for goodness sake! All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and from some who are old enough to know better is a bit pathetic. We had all the same predictions when Foot was leader and especially when he lost the 1983 election. We also heard much the same about the Conservatives after 2001.

Labour as a party is not going to die. I very much doubt it will split. It may well lose the 2020 general election but then the Conservatives lost three GEs in a row before they found their feet again and started to appeal to people outside their core vote.

Foot kept Labour ahead of the SDP in second place, I would not be so certain Corbyn can hold off UKIP. The Tories got rid of IDS in 2003 before the LDs became a real threat, Labour are about to re-elect Corbyn
    Mr. HYFUD, if UKIP is to survive, let alone become a real threat to Labour it has going to have to change and change quite quickly. Farage has done it a huge favour now that his task is complete but I think there will be a battle for what sort of Party it should become.

I think the chances of it morphing into a party that will appeal to the Northern Cities are rather lower than it fading away. After all the Party was set up with one goal in mind that has been achieved, why should it continue and who is going to pay for it?
    It will continue focusing on an anti immigration, nationalist, traditionalist platform, especially if May agrees to some form of free movement. Funding will come from the likes of Leave.EU's Aaron Banks who has a net worth of £250 million and promised to pour money into the party if May won the Tory leadership
    Take your point on funding, but I am not sure that focusing on immigration, nationalism and tradition will be enough to win seats, though. But we shall see.
    Against Corbyn Labour in northern and midlands working class towns and against May's Tories in Essex and Kent I would say UKIP have an excellent chance of picking up seats
    Gosh, I so much want to say, "Want to bet?" But let common sense prevail it is too far away and too much will happen in the interim.
    The key issue for UKIP will be freedom of movement, likely to be retained in some form and Corbyn's re-election, if both occur whatever they do they will get a poll boost
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    ChaosOdin said:

So all the Labour whips have resigned which makes the SNP the official opposition unless Corbyn can find some new ones by tomorrow right?

But he already ran out of people to appoint to the shadow ministerial team, there are still vacancies. And he can't get shadow ministers to double up as whips, because whips can't speak in the chamber.

What is his way out? Change some shadow ministers to whips and get other shadow ministers to double up?

Skinner will come forward as will Ronnie Campbell.
  • Options

US Capitol in lockdown apparently

To think that in the 1990s when I went to Washington d.c. I was able to walk right into the Congress building, wander around parts of it and have lunch in one of the fastish food restaurants there sitting on adjacent tables to congressmen and the like.

The difference in airline security between Gatwick and the US airport was stunning. Our side was much like it is now thanks to Pira. Coming home from US was stunned when my -non flying- US then Girlfriend was able to come and sit in the departure lounge with me. The international departure lounge was the one with the metal detector hoop where you got on the plane and the man checking passports. The internal ones (most of them) just had plane staff to check tickets.

I thought at the time that they were a bit naive. Unfortunately I wasnt the only one to notice this.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Klaxon - existing new members may not even be allowed to become registered supporter paying £25. Unholy mess https://t.co/7U6ypxWvPl

Not sure about that - surely you can be a member and an affiliated supporter? Under the old electoral college wasn't it the case that some MPs actually had 3 votes (one in each section)?
  • Options

Contrived outrage in all honesty. It's quite normal. Labour routinely operates freeze dates for selections for the likes of local government elections. You can join and vote in leadership elections in due course, just don't join a few weeks before a leadership election for the purpose of influencing it.

Yep, it's fair enough.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

Moses_ said:

Do you mean if he wins the contest Labour then should go into a full party reselection process? All MP's....?

Holy crap!
    Yes. Corbyn has lost the support of MPs of all political views. Left, Right, Blairite, Brownite, soft left, Blue Labour etc. Obviously all of these people are just 'wrong'. Consequently, the Labour party will become uniformly Corbynite. Unlike any other political party, Labour will cease to be a board church of views. Only Corbynism will be tolerated. It was always going to be this way as many Corbynites I've spoken to cannot deal with disagreement on any subject whatsoever.
    The hard left only needed to get the upper hand once. Now it has it will change the rules to ensure it never relinquishes it. As you say by 2020 it will be a 90% Corbynite party, everyone else will have left or been forced out. As a member till fairly recently I hope it is a pyrrhic victory and Labour end up with under 100 MPs at the next GE.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tim_B said:

Gwyneth Paltrow on BBC World News talking about selling a $15,000 gold dildo. Hard Talk

- honest!

new or second hand?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Not been around much today. Can anyone do a potted summary in a sentence or two as to wtf is going on in Labour tonight?

JC has come down from the Cross.
    In the last week, he has the demeanour of someone who has got out of an abusive relationship.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

@Independent: Exclusive: Theresa May’s husband is senior executive at a $1.4tn hedge fund that profits from tax avoiding companies https://t.co/6A4XGC3QUQ

oh, wait...

And the "profits from tax avoiding companies" is because they have shares in Amazon and Starbucks
    There is stretching, then there is total bollocks. Given that wide a definition, basically "profiting from tax avoiding companies" could be labelled at anybody i.e. I once flogged some second hand stuff on Amazon, thus I am involved with tax avoiders..
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited July 2016
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Disagree, if May agrees EEA/EFTA the likes of Cash and Patterson and IDS could be off to UKIP like a rocket, certainly with Labour now effectively redundant as a real opposition to the May government
    Nah, the Tory eurosceptic right will now be pretty content - the sovereignty issue is settled as far as they're concerned. I doubt they regard the whole EEFTA/FoM thing as anything other than an esoteric quibble. They certainly won't be losing their safe Tory seats over it.
    Cash and Patterson and IDS and Rees-Mogg are firmly anti freedom of movement and the seats they represent, rural market town and Essex border are hardly likely to switch to UKIP with them if they defect
    If the gentlemen you mention didn't defect to UKIP when the Holy Grail of Brexit was still in the balance, they're not going to do so just to comfort a few xenophobes. Move on! UKIP is just so 2014...
    The Tories were promising a referendum then, if the referendum is won and Brexit in their view not fully delivered and a weak Labour party enables some form of political realignment I would not rule anything out
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

oh, wait...

There is stretching, then there is total bollocks. Given that wide a definition, basically "profiting from tax avoiding companies" could be labelled at anybody.

Except maybe the taxpayer? ;)

• Options
    With Labour my concern there's been all this crazy build up and yet, somehow, it'll return to relatively mundane normality before too long. I'm not sure I can go back to that, my political diet is now hardened to require proper red met political craziness.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Greg_Callus: When I said I wanted to practice election law, they laughed:"there are no cases" they said. Well who's laughing now, huh?
  • Options

Trump has another good line: 'Bernie Sanders endorsing Crooked Hillary Clinton is like Occupy Wall Street endorsing Goldman Sachs'

That is a very good line.
  • Options
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    AnneJGP said:

Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

Must have been a really hot cup of coffee.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Moses_ said:

Do you mean if he wins the contest Labour then should go into a full party reselection process? All MP's....?

Holy crap!
    Yes. Corbyn has lost the support of MPs of all political views. Left, Right, Blairite, Brownite, soft left, Blue Labour etc. Obviously all of these people are just 'wrong'. Consequently, the Labour party will become uniformly Corbynite. Unlike any other political party, Labour will cease to be a board church of views. Only Corbynism will be tolerated. It was always going to be this way as many Corbynites I've spoken to cannot deal with disagreement on any subject whatsoever.
    The hard left only needed to get the upper hand once. Now it has it will change the rules to ensure it never relinquishes it. As you say by 2020 it will be a 90% Corbynite party, everyone else will have left or been forced out. As a member till fairly recently I hope it is a pyrrhic victory and Labour end up with under 100 MPs at the next GE.

It'll certainly be under 200. And in a lonely corner of the Rochdale count someone will be mumbling "Eagles would have done worse" :-)

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Well at least some Labour members get a vote unlike Tory members.
  • Options

BBC confirm:

There is going to be merry hell to pay on this decision. You joined last week and now they are asking for another £25!
    Those coffers must be pretty healthy though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

It's good to know she's intelligent enough to know how Active Voice works. But what's that to do with a politics blog? ;)
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

Sounds more like the potential new name for a Top Gear reboot....

• Options
    ChaosOdinChaosOdin Posts: 67

ChaosOdin said:

Skinner will come forward as will Ronnie Campbell.
    How many whips are needed to satisfy the speaker? Just one?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

Good Lord.

Does Mrs Eagles know? :open_mouth:
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

I'm never getting married again, my long term plan is to have a harem
    Who would have you?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, for goodness sake! All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and from some who are old enough to know better is a bit pathetic.

The only problem with that is UKIP itself - it is not an effective party at the "ground game". This is not me being rude about them. It is simply an observation of what has happened in the past.

Transforming UKIP into a party that can win parliamentary seats will take a very large amount of work. The question is who can lead the party in that direction?
    That's not necessarily true. GrassrootsOut have a huge database of possible voters post Brexit

That info I believe belongs to Aaron Banks/Ukip

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Who are the Lincoln Red Imps currently beating Celtic 1- 0 in the champions league qualifier

I hope you're using CrowdScores to keep track of the score...

(For the record, any PBer caught using another scores app will be summarily banned.)
    Wait, I thought your idea was unique...?
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    RodCrosby said:

Meanwhile the Conservative party cracks on governing the country and forming a position for Brexit.
  • Options

Going to be a race to see who resigns first: you or Falconer....

No, I'll pay the £25.

I imagine the trots and Kippers will also be stumping up £25?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

OllyT said:

Moses_ said:

Holy crap!

It'll certainly be under 200. And in a lonely corner of the Rochdale count someone will be mumbling "Eagles would have done worse" :-)
    - particularly since Glenn Frey's departure.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Now the lawyer is waxing litigious about the membership change...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

So you're divorced?

I'm sincerely sorry. That's a sad thing

PS I recommend 20-something Corbynites, I'm on my third in six months

They like submitting to the Patriarchy when it suits them
    It's fine, happened last year, I've moved on.

These 20 year old Corbynistas don't seem to care about winning, they'd rather be ideologically pure than win.

What has happened to the ruthless party of Blair, Campbell, and Mandelson?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Jonathan said:

I think the straws have well and truly been clutched.

Voting in this election is like choosing your method of execution. Hanging with Mr Corbyn or lethal injection with Ms Eagle?
  • Options

Yep, it's fair enough.

Well it is - except for the inconvenient fact that you can temporarily join before a leadership election for the purpose of influencing it!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

What on earth could attract them to a millionaire celebrity writer?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I'm sure they are muttering into their ovaltine as we speak...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Almost tempted to stump up £25
  • Options
    The thing is from when we see all these protests etc, loads of them are the Tarquins and Tabatha's of this world. £25 no problem, they might have to ask daddy for an advance on their allowance though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Tories were promising a referendum then, if the referendum is won and Brexit in their view not fully delivered and a weak Labour party enables some form of political realignment I would not rule anything out
    I don't know why you all still talk about UKIP - they will wither and die.

There's nothing to them...their USP is gone...their leader has gone...their financial backing has gone...the euro-elections that gave them a regular sniff of the oxygen of publicity has gone...their entire reason to exist has gone
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

Gwyneth Paltrow on BBC World News talking about selling a $15,000 gold dildo. Hard Talk
    - honest!

new or second hand?
    For the left hand or right hand?
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Jonathan said:

I'm sure they are muttering into their ovaltine as we speak...
    Far too late for that. They will be fast asleep by now, so they can awake at 5am for no good reason.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Jonathan said:

I think the straws have well and truly been clutched.

Voting in this election is like choosing your method of execution. Hanging with Mr Corbyn or lethal injection with Ms Eagle?
    More like being put to sleep listening to Ms Eagle.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, for goodness sake! All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and from some who are old enough to know better is a bit pathetic.

Mr. HYFUD, if UKIP is to survive, let alone become a real threat to Labour it has going to have to change and change quite quickly. Farage has done it a huge favour now that his task is complete but I think there will be a battle for what sort

That's not necessarily true. GrassrootsOut have a huge database of possible voters post Brexit

That info I believe belongs to Aaron Banks/Ukip

Yes and he has said he will use it to focus on Leave voters who may be tempted by the party
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    This is how the Roman circuses descended from nobles sparring to bloody mass torture. We're no longer satisfied with hum-drum, everyday politics. We need more.

I want Theresa May to vault the HoC podium, cleave Corbyn from gullet to groin while screaming "THIS. IS SPARTA". That'd see me through to the weekend.
  • Options
    What a different it would have been if Hugh Gaitskill and John Smith had not snuffed it at untimely moments...
  • Options

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Good Lord.

So you're divorced?

I'm sincerely sorry. That's a sad thing

It's fine, happened last year, I've moved on.

These 20 year old Corbynistas don't seem to care about winning, they'd rather be ideologically pure than win.

What has happened to the ruthless party of Blair, Campbell, and Mandelson?
    Arguably the ruthlessness only came when Labour had lost 3 or 4 in a row (I forget which).

Don't forget the role of Philip Gould who taught them all about the centre ground, aspirational middle england, focus groups and so on.
This discussion has been closed.