Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn will be on the ballot

Comments

• Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Is this the moment that the Labour party finally dies on its arse? If Corbyn wins as presumably he will - then the party has to split and FPTP will likely destroy both factions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

HYUFD said:

Oh, for goodness sake! All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and from some who are old enough to know better is a bit pathetic. We had all the same predictions when Foot was leader and especially when he lost the 1983 election. We also heard much the same about the Conservatives after 2001.

Labour as a party is not going to die. I very much doubt it will split. It may well lose the 2020 general election but then the Conservatives lost three GEs in a row before they found their feet again and started to appeal to people outside their core vote.

Foot kept Labour ahead of the SDP in second place, I would not be so certain Corbyn can hold off UKIP. The Tories got rid of IDS in 2003 before the LDs became a real threat, Labour are about to re-elect Corbyn
    Mr. HYFUD, if UKIP is to survive, let alone become a real threat to Labour it has going to have to change and change quite quickly. Farage has done it a huge favour now that his task is complete but I think there will be a battle for what sort of Party it should become.

I think the chances of it morphing into a party that will appeal to the Northern Cities are rather lower than it fading away. After all the Party was set up with one goal in mind that has been achieved, why should it continue and who is going to pay for it?
    It will continue focusing on an anti immigration, nationalist, traditionalist platform, especially if May agrees to some form of free movement. Funding will come from the likes of Leave.EU's Aaron Banks who has a net worth of £250 million and promised to pour money into the party if May won the Tory leadership
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Looks like the lawyers will be busy after all. Corbyn and his cronies surely bound to challenge the hike in the 3 quid fee to 25 and the exclusion of recent joiners. Isn't that called moving the goalposts?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,207

HYUFD said:

Oh, for goodness sake! All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and from some who are old enough to know better is a bit pathetic. We had all the same predictions when Foot was leader and especially when he lost the 1983 election. We also heard much the same about the Conservatives after 2001.

Labour as a party is not going to die. I very much doubt it will split. It may well lose the 2020 general election but then the Conservatives lost three GEs in a row before they found their feet again and started to appeal to people outside their core vote.

Foot kept Labour ahead of the SDP in second place, I would not be so certain Corbyn can hold off UKIP. The Tories got rid of IDS in 2003 before the LDs became a real threat, Labour are about to re-elect Corbyn
    Mr. HYFUD, if UKIP is to survive, let alone become a real threat to Labour it has going to have to change and change quite quickly. Farage has done it a huge favour now that his task is complete but I think there will be a battle for what sort of Party it should become.

I think the chances of it morphing into a party that will appeal to the Northern Cities are rather lower than it fading away. After all the Party was set up with one goal in mind that has been achieved, why should it continue and who is going to pay for it?
    It will continue because it's abundantly clear that most of the people supporting the single issue of leaving the EU saw is as a proxy to express dissatisfaction with all manner of things that the mainstream parties have ignored. Unless Brexit miraculously solves everything, those people will still look for a political vehicle to support and UKIP is best placed to carry out that role.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,480
    Opinions are dividing:

Hodges saying PLP are happier - game on.

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 6m6 minutes ago
    This shuts out: a) every lapsed Burnham, Cooper and Kendall voter and b) anyone who might have wanted to "Save Labour".

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 8m8 minutes ago
    People saying this makes it harder for Corbyn to win are out of their trees.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited July 2016
    Any word yet from Mrs Duffy on today's Lab shenanigans? :smiley:
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Let's get this straight. If the Labour party is saved from Corbyn, it will be because of rich people who can afford the £25 fee, taking control from poorer people.

Oh the irony.

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

HYUFD said:

It will continue because it's abundantly clear that most of the people supporting the single issue of leaving the EU saw is as a proxy to express dissatisfaction with all manner of things that the mainstream parties have ignored. Unless Brexit miraculously solves everything, those people will still look for a political vehicle to support and UKIP is best placed to carry out that role.
    What - vote UKIP to rejoin the EU?

:-)
  • Options

Opinions are dividing:

This shuts out: a) every lapsed Burnham, Cooper and Kendall voter and b) anyone who might have wanted to "Save Labour".

Given what a disastrous 2016 Dan Hodges is having, I'd bet accordingly... ;)
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    If you take out all the new members from the last 6 months, Eagle was probably level with Corbyn in that YouGov poll.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    Corbyn isn't guaranteed to win by any means, as the rule changes seem to me to be to his detriment. However the trouble is even if the PLP succeed in getting a more palatable leader has the means of achieving it caused so much damage that it sets the party back in any event.
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    edited July 2016

alex. said:

For a little light relief - Champions of Scotland about to lose to the champions of ... Gibraltar!

The world is truly turned upside down.
    To be fair, Celtic getting pumped by minnows in early Euro qualifiers is more "business as usual".
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    edited July 2016

Do I have this right? I have paid £60 to be a full Labour party member, but don't get a vote in the leadership election; however, if I pay another £25 I can? Doesn't make much sense, but if those are the rules I'll abide.

What the hell, your membership costs £60? Even Tory membership is only £25.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    SeanT said:
    PMQs would be fun.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2016
    Brom said:

So Warburton signs a new contract, Collymore sacked and Celtic lose to some police officers. That's some 12th of July for those out celebrating!

But Collymore is a jjjjourrrnnnnalleeeestttttt....What have RantSport sacked him for (other than being crap)?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    breaking: After Corbyn leaves the room, NEC passes amendment to "Corbyn will be on the ballot", so the sentence ends "...in invisible ink."

#CarryOnCorbyn
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

@DavidRoe92: In fairness, 150 or so Labour MPs can create a big party quickly from a standing start and take Opposition slots right away. Not a gang of 6

He's right, but do they have the gumption?

Compouter says no...

And where do their VOTERS come from???

There are plenty of centre left votes out there. Not all working class Labour voters yearn for unrestricted immigration, solidarity with Hamas and the IRA, unilateral nuclear disarmament and the abolition of the monarchy.

But which constituencies do you think would have an appetite for a party which was in favour of the rich and big businesses, while also being in favour of high levels of immigration and putting a huge emphasis on feminism and the like?

Such a party would have no chance in the northern Labour heartlands who are too poor to be wooed by the pro-rich economic stance, while also being socially conservative as shown by the Brexit vote. Similarly, the ultra-rich Tory shires would disagree with this "SDP v2" on immigration and other socially liberal issues, and would always have the Tories to go to if they wanted the economically conservative policies. Meanwhile, the SDP v2 would be led by a bunch of career politicians, who people right across the board have total contempt for.

Apart from a few rich but socially liberal parts of London (maybe Kensington and the like), I genuinely can't see where it gets its votes from.
    An SDP v2 is hardly going to be economically rightwing, centrist at best if also socially liberal it could appeal to vast numbers of middle class suburban seats Blair won and Cameron won if May becomes unpopular, from Reading, to Enfield, to the Wirral, to Worcester such seats would be far more likely to vote for an SDP v2 than they ever would for Corbyn, as well as a few Miliband held onto in the likes of Southampton, Birmingham Edgbaston or Westminster
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Lowlander said:

So funny. Final Score.

Lincoln Red Imps 1 - 0 Celtic

https://twitter.com/GBCNewsroom/status/752950326420967424

It isn't a surprise. Scottish football is near semi-pro level.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

HYUFD said:

They might, but UKIP will need to articulate genuine potential solutions other than "leave the EU and we can do what we want (even though we don't know what it is)"

• Options

HYUFD said:

What - vote UKIP to rejoin the EU?

Now that you mention it I'm convinced Farage wanted us to be last out rather than first. He's lost his role as the jester in the European Parliament.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,761

Do I have this right? I have paid £60 to be a full Labour party member, but don't get a vote in the leadership election; however, if I pay another £25 I can? Doesn't make much sense, but if those are the rules I'll abide.

You can have my vote by proxy. If it is Corbyn v Eagle then I will probably spoil my ballot.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:
    PMQs would be fun.
    Article 50 will be fun if the SNP are the official opposition.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Lowlander said:

So funny. Final Score.

On Sat 23rd Celtic play the mighty Foxes!

Champions of England vs Champions of Scotland. I am almost tempted to go...
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Please let this happen.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It will continue focusing on an anti immigration, nationalist, traditionalist platform, especially if May agrees to some form of free movement. Funding will come from the likes of Leave.EU's Aaron Banks who has a net worth of £250 million and promised to pour money into the party if May won the Tory leadership
    Take your point on funding, but I am not sure that focusing on immigration, nationalism and tradition will be enough to win seats, though. But we shall see.
  • Options

Opinions are dividing:

Hodges is delusional.

When did he last get ANYTHING about UK politics right?

He's as reliable as John McTernan. When he says something is going to happen, lay it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Can't he appoint some new whips? Do the job himself if he has to?
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

Opinions are dividing:

Hodges is delusional.

He's as reliable as John McTernan. When he says something is going to happen, lay it.
    Bush seems to have got really emotionally involved with Corbyn winning so don't treat him as gospel either.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SeanT said:

Is there some suggestion that all the Corbynite members are now barred?

Is Tom Watson cleverer than we supposed??

There was a reason why 6 months was chosen. Also the decision was taken after Corbyn left the room. £3 people now have to cough uo £25. Only PB Tories can afford that now. The other problem with £3 supporters was that it was difficult to catch multiple voting.

Last time Corbyn won 49% of the actual membership.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,549

From my distant recollection of studying entry-level accountancy many years ago, I believe the technical term for your £60 is a sunk cost?

IMHO you would be better off, and happier, in the LibDems.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

THE SNP IS NOW THE OPPOSITION. APPARENTLY.

lol doesn't really cover it, does it?

It's like a seven week crack bender for politics geeks, with some heroin on the side. And meth.

Would be brilliant if SNP was opposite Cameron's final PMQ tomorrow.

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    MaxPB said:

Labour is no longer about poor people. Its for people who want to feel good about themselves.
  • Options

SeanT said:
    ROFL

The incompetence is staggering. Breathtaking.
    Oh, how beautiful it would be if that minor act ended up bring the whole curtain down.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154
    Why is a team from Gibraltar called the 'Lincoln Red Imps' ?
  • Options
    Perhaps Maomentum will do what some central american countries do, just pay for the supporters membership fees....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's like a seven week crack bender for politics geeks, with some heroin on the side. And meth.

How does that even work? Labour still have 230 MPs in parliament, unless they split tonight then they are still the second largest party, whips or no whips.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    MaxPB said:

But the Tories don´t let you vote.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,056
    Lowlander said:

Opinions are dividing:

Hodges is delusional.

I actually think both statements are true. Stephen Bush is correct in that Corbyn will win this, the PLP are happy because they haven't realised what the makeup of the party membership was back in January (hint Corbyn supporters had arrived, others were letting / had let their membership lapse)..

As with everything we've seen from Labour its so near and yet so far... - the comedy continues...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

SeanT said:
    Who is there to whip? The job is obsolete...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Take your point on funding, but I am not sure that focusing on immigration, nationalism and tradition will be enough to win seats, though. But we shall see.
    Against Corbyn Labour in northern and midlands working class towns and against May's Tories in Essex and Kent I would say UKIP have an excellent chance of picking up seats
  • Options

Perhaps Maomentum will do what some central american countries do, just pay for the supporters membership fees....

Arron Banks could put up the money.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Lowlander said:

So funny. Final Score.

On Sat 23rd Celtic play the mighty Foxes!

Champions of England vs Champions of Scotland. I am almost tempted to go...
    I hope your Foxes get relegated and the fairytale turns abruptly into a nightmare. A flash in the pan.
  • Options

SeanT said:
    ROFL

Oh, how beautiful it would be if that minor act ended up bring the whole curtain down.
    That is really remarkable.

Nicely done by the NEC.
  • Options
    Wait. There's a new twist. Whips may have resigned. So Labour cannot be official opposition.

Philip Cowley Retweeted
    PARLY ‏@ParlyApp 18m18 minutes ago
    If as @DPJHodges reports the Labour whips office has resigned that poses a real challenge for them to hang on as official opposition

Pass me some more popcorn.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited July 2016
    PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

I'd rather not vote and get a decent leader, than vote and get Corbers or Eagle.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Just when you think the current outpouring of history has to slow down at some point, the taps open wider.
  • Options

Welcome to 21st Century Socialism....

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

alex. said:

SeanT said:
    Who is there to whip? The job is obsolete...
    Just makes the job a bit easier.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

OK, now is the time for May to make a big, open offer to moderate, sensible Labour members to jump ship. Kendall, Chuka, Tristram... We'd even take Woodward back. Maybe.

Pre-empt the Lab split by getting some of their better people to join a decent, centrist Tory administration - it would be a stroke of genius.

May could do that but then IDS, Patterson, Leadsom, Rees-Mogg, Redwood, Tebbit, Cash etc would then swiftly move to UKIP in response
    HYUFD said:

OK, now is the time for May to make a big, open offer to moderate, sensible Labour members to jump ship. Kendall, Chuka, Tristram... We'd even take Woodward back. Maybe.

Pre-empt the Lab split by getting some of their better people to join a decent, centrist Tory administration - it would be a stroke of genius.

May could do that but then IDS, Patterson, Leadsom, Rees-Mogg, Redwood, Tebbit, Cash etc would then swiftly move to UKIP in response
    No they wouldn't. There will be very few moves to UKIP now from the right.
    Disagree, if May agrees EEA/EFTA the likes of Cash and Patterson and IDS could be off to UKIP like a rocket, certainly with Labour now effectively redundant as a real opposition to the May government
    Nah, the Tory eurosceptic right will now be pretty content - the sovereignty issue is settled as far as they're concerned. I doubt they regard the whole EEFTA/FoM thing as anything other than an esoteric quibble. They certainly won't be losing their safe Tory seats over it.
    Cash and Patterson and IDS and Rees-Mogg are firmly anti freedom of movement and the seats they represent, rural market town and Essex border are hardly likely to switch to UKIP with them if they defect
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    SeanT said:

This isn't weed shaggy
  • Options
    Why can't Jezz just appoint some new whips?
  • Options

SeanT said:
    ROFL

That is really remarkable.

Nicely done by the NEC.
    I'm actually not so sure now whether that was a clever move - the Labour membership circa 6 months ago would contain a lot of Momentum supporters (of 12 months ago) who had just joined upon Corbers election.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Against Corbyn Labour in northern and midlands working class towns and against May's Tories in Essex and Kent I would say UKIP have an excellent chance of picking up seats
    Gosh, I so much want to say, "Want to bet?" But let common sense prevail it is too far away and too much will happen in the interim.
  • Options
    Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

Just when you think the current outpouring of history has to slow down at some point, the taps open wider.
    Weren't Sinn Fein the official opposition in 1918? Except they didn't take up their seats.

• Options

Wait. There's a new twist. Whips may have resigned. So Labour cannot be official opposition.

Philip Cowley Retweeted
    PARLY ‏@ParlyApp 18m18 minutes ago
    If as @DPJHodges reports the Labour whips office has resigned that poses a real challenge for them to hang on as official opposition

Pass me some more popcorn.

That doesn't make any sense unless all Labour MPs are going to sit as independents until new whips can be found to replace them. Wouldn't they just put a couple of loyalists in there overnight.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

IMO Corbyn now has to stand on a ticket of mandatory reselection for all MPs.

Do you mean if he wins the contest Labour then should go into a full party reselection process? All MP's....?

Holy crap!
    Yes. Corbyn has lost the support of MPs of all political views. Left, Right, Blairite, Brownite, soft left, Blue Labour etc. Obviously all of these people are just 'wrong'. Consequently, the Labour party will become uniformly Corbynite. Unlike any other political party, Labour will cease to be a board church of views. Only Corbynism will be tolerated. It was always going to be this way as many Corbynites I've spoken to cannot deal with disagreement on any subject whatsoever.
    Then they surely must leave then and reform as another party? If deselection beckons that probably is going to be sooner rather than later to be in position to fight GE2020

PM May must be looking at this and thinking dare I call a GE in September / October and finish off CorbyLabour and New Improved whiter than white Labour at the same time.
    Arguably a new GE is what the country needs. Having such a small Tory majority is not ideal in these days, and Corbynite Labour needs to get decimated in a GE.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited July 2016

You can have my vote by proxy. If it is Corbyn v Eagle then I will probably spoil my ballot.
    I have never spoilt my vote. In 2005 , I even voted LD. But this is difficult. Had it been Yvette, I would have voted for her.
  • Options

It sounds like the name of a pub team.

Because it probably is.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638
    As the Labour membership in the leadership vote will be backdated to January, this YouGov polling might turn out to be taken from a sample quite representative of those eligible to vote. YouGov will be drawing very heavily on their historic records of who was a member of the Labour Party when they selected the sample. There's bound to be a bit of a time lag.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/eprogs4gmc/TimesResults_160630_LabourMembers.pdf

As it is, a couple of weeks back Corbyn was ahead of Eagle by 50% to 40%. That's the sort of margin that could be overturned. So it isn't all done and dusted yet.

The sight of the obnoxious Matthew Parris on the telly celebrating the death of Labour tonight might yet be the sort of thing that causes enough of the traditional party members to have second thoughts about Corbyn.
  • Options
    eek said:

Lowlander said:

Opinions are dividing:

Hodges is delusional.

I actually think both statements are true. Stephen Bush is correct in that Corbyn will win this, the PLP are happy because they haven't realised what the makeup of the party membership was back in January (hint Corbyn supporters had arrived, others were letting / had let their membership lapse)..

As with everything we've seen from Labour its so near and yet so far... - the comedy continues...
    We know what the makeup of the Labour party thought a couple of weeks ago, it's been polled.
  • Options
    Trump has another good line: 'Bernie Sanders endorsing Crooked Hillary Clinton is like Occupy Wall Street endorsing Goldman Sachs'
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

How does that even work? Labour still have 230 MPs in parliament, unless they split tonight then they are still the second largest party, whips or no whips.
    Some arcane parly rules, apparently. You need whips to be Opp. Corbyn may not have time to do it. So SNP could become HM Opposition.

But who the F knows!
    In time for Corbyn not to get 6 qs tomorrow?

Please let the answer be yes.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Didn't Unite get told off for doing that in Falkirk?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Corbyn murdered Labour today.

• Options
    John_M said:
    Ah, that's a shame...
  • Options
    Not been around much today. Can anyone do a potted summary in a sentence or two as to wtf is going on in Labour tonight?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Didn't Unite get told off for doing that in Falkirk?
    Remember there was nothing dodgy going on, nothing, they had an investigation and everything and it was all clean as a whistle...
  • Options
    Events, dear boy, events...

Sarah Melv
    @sarah_eyebrows
    Momentum openly considering challenging the NEC on cut-off dates not half an hour after declaring all NEC decisions final.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

But as a doctrinally pure Labourite you can feel incredibly smug, like a Prius driver.
  • Options

Events, dear boy, events...

Sarah Melv
    @sarah_eyebrows
    Momentum openly considering challenging the NEC on cut-off dates not half an hour after declaring all NEC decisions final.

I hope they mean via the courts and not via some of their other tactics..
  • Options

Not been around much today. Can anyone do a potted summary in a sentence or two as to wtf is going on in Labour tonight?

JC has come down from the Cross.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

@Independent: Exclusive: Theresa May’s husband is senior executive at a $1.4tn hedge fund that profits from tax avoiding companies https://t.co/6A4XGC3QUQ

Labour will be all over this.

oh, wait...

They are really stretching with that tweet...

Capital is like Fidelity - it's not a hedge fund

And the "profits from tax avoiding companies" is because they have shares in Amazon and Starbucks
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Going to be a race to see who resigns first: you or Falconer....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154
    Lowlander said:

Because it probably is.
    Yeah, but the Lincoln Imp is a well-known legend from Lincoln Cathedral. I'm just wondering how it got transferred to Gib (even via a pub).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Imp
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Corbyn murdered Labour today.

Disagree. It was the 35 muppets who nominated him that put the gun to Labour's head. The NEC have simply pulled the trigger. They've been destroyed by their own shitty, shitty rules.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Moses_ said:

IMO Corbyn now has to stand on a ticket of mandatory reselection for all MPs.

Do you mean if he wins the contest Labour then should go into a full party reselection process? All MP's....?

Holy crap!
    Yes. Corbyn has lost the support of MPs of all political views. Left, Right, Blairite, Brownite, soft left, Blue Labour etc. Obviously all of these people are just 'wrong'. Consequently, the Labour party will become uniformly Corbynite. Unlike any other political party, Labour will cease to be a board church of views. Only Corbynism will be tolerated. It was always going to be this way as many Corbynites I've spoken to cannot deal with disagreement on any subject whatsoever.
    One of the UK's two great political parties has been taken over by the mad people who throw rocks through windows. Incroyable.
    I cannot understand the perspectives of militant leftists at all. Don't they actually want to improve people's lives? Is being a protest movement and perpetual complainers really better than making sure that all kids have a chance in life etc? Margaret Beckett must hate herself right now.
    I wonder how Lord Kinnock feels. He fought so hard to rid Labour of the hard left, succeeded, 'lost' his party to the Blairites, regained it in Mr Miliband, and has now lost again to the people he originally fought so hard to eradicate.

Quite a tragedy.

(Good evening, everyone)
    Labour doesn't learn from its mistakes.

What a total mess.

And to think some think of today as a great day.

Disgraceful.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

PClipp said:

MaxPB said:

But as a doctrinally pure Labourite you can feel incredibly smug, like a Prius driver.
    Or as South Park brilliantly coined them Pious drivers...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,440
    Fuck.
  • Options
    Eagle is 7.0 Betfair, those are great odds considering the only polling shows her so close.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Trump has another good line: 'Bernie Sanders endorsing Crooked Hillary Clinton is like Occupy Wall Street endorsing Goldman Sachs'

It's over, let it go. Trump's only hope since emailgate closed was Sanders running third party. It's done. Finished. Kaput.

Trump is toast.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Lowlander said:

Because it probably is.
    Yeah, but the Lincoln Imp is a well-known legend from Lincoln Cathedral. I'm just wondering how it got transferred to Gib (even via a pub).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Imp
    If I had to guess, probably similar to how lots of South American teams have European club names (or close variants of).
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,070
    edited July 2016
    alex. said:

Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

Weren't Sinn Fein the official opposition in 1918? Except they didn't take up their seats.

So they weren't the official opposition. Some of the Irish Unionists, however, were indeed the effective opposition at times during the wartime coalition preceding the 1918 election.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Brilliant Labour intelligence there.

Full member but joined in the last 6 months? Nope, you're not included. Thanks for your money.

Registered supporter who fancies chipping in £25 for the lulz later this month? Cheers - have a vote.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    SeanT said:
    ???
    Alex Nunns ‏@alexnunns 9m9 minutes ago

@georgeeaton Surely once he was a candidate he wasn't allowed to vote on procedures.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    John_M said:
    I think that should give us enough points to keep single market bank passporting. The French fishers will riot in a way that the bankers wouldn't.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Jeremy Corbyn right now:

http://i.imgur.com/c4jt321.png
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RodCrosby said:
    So wait, that means no 3 quidders at all are currently eligible?
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Corbyn didn't get those 2 E's for nothing...
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

John_M said:
    I think that should give us enough points to keep single market bank passporting. The French fishers will riot in a way that the bankers wouldn't.
    France has got the Atlantic Ocean and the Bay of Biscay to fish in. Why do they even need the Channel?
  • Options

SeanT said:
    Corbyn didn't get those 2 E's for nothing...
    Sums up his leadership - inept
  • Options
    This is very, very long, but there are some thoughtful ideas therein.

https://paulkirby.net/2016/07/03/a-policy-agenda-for-the-white-working-class/
  • Options

OK, i'll have a go.

WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF.

WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF. WTF.

I think that sums it up.
  • Options

SeanT said:
    ???
    Alex Nunns ‏@alexnunns 9m9 minutes ago

@georgeeaton Surely once he was a candidate he wasn't allowed to vote on procedures.
    He voted himself onto the ballot, so why not?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RodCrosby said:
    So wait, that means no 3 quidders at all are currently eligible?
    Eh? So I or anyone else can still register as a supporter from Thursday and vote but it is no longer £3 it is £25. WTF.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Labour is an utter basket case tonight. Sort it out.
  • Options
    US Capitol on lockdown after reports of a gunman outside...
This discussion has been closed.