Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In many ways Andrea Leadsom looks like Britain’s Sarah Pali

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

In case any one has not seen this, the Lib Dems are starting to select PPCs again in case there is an early election.

Nobody seriously believes there will an early election do they ?

Gamble all for an extra year ? Madness.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

At least this means I've got my threads already written for the next 9 weeks.

You'd have to be absolutely batshit crazy to even think about voting for the loathsome Leadsom.

And Leadsom makes Corbyn as PM nailed on.

That sort of stuff.

The Screaming Eagle turns into Screaming Lord Sutch.
    It's remarkable how many of the sensible (rather than in for joke or publicity) Monster Raving Loony Party policies have become fact....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2016
    DearPB said:

JohnO said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Thought: Leadsom has the Cro-Magnon ur-sceptic vote, but she needs to show that she can win a General Election, and be centrist and sensible.

She will be forced to tack left - the markets will demand it as much as MPs. I bet she will opt for EEA status. Which will annoy some of her supporters.

Surely we can trust them to come out for Theresa, even if the fruitcakes from the shires come out for Leadsom?

The Tories voted for IDS. Leadsom is interesting (in a morbid, curious way) and will therefore get attention. In a world we vote for Brexit and Corbyn, don't count anything out.
    Tories voted for IDS in a time of economic stability, and prosperity, and when their vote didn't really count anyway.

They are now voting inna time of epochal economic instability, at a time when Britain really could break up, or break down, and they are voting for the prime minister who has to fix this. And stabilise the property market. This will concentrate minds.

It will be May.
    There you go again, applying logic and rational thought to the problem. Politics doesn't work that way at the moment.

There is a more reliable method....

Put the two candidate mugshots on the floor. Get a cat. Get it drunk. Get it very drunk. Tie some catnip to a nearby record player. Whichever candidate the cat throws up on will win the vote.

Beats logic and reason any day.
    Probably correct; by definition the people who are still members of a political party are deeply strange. And they often behave in a deeply strange way.
    When I was Leader of the Council, every so often I would bite one of my colleagues, usually at random but frequently drawing blood. Most didn't think it strange at all.
    When I was Leader of the Council, I occasionally failed to come up with the most right wing answer to a given question, and then my colleagues would bite me.
    See, leafy Elmbridge is the examplar of normaility, whereas ??? Borough/County Council.....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    rcs1000 said:

May is Head Girl. Bossy and boring.

Leadsom is Thatcher. Watch as her speech gets slower and slower and transforms into Thatcher.

Mrs Thatcher: a paragon of honesty, with a great ministerial career behind her before she became PM.
    Mrs Leadson: opposes gay marriages and doesn't want Brexit to slow subsidies to renewables.

I'm not really getting the comparison.
    I could understand it if she demonstrates it in the coming weeks and, sigh, months, of this campaign, but there's so little to go on at present.

I don't know how she'll live up to the hyperbole, but Corbyn, a man with far more negatives thatn Leadsome, managed and is managing it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,045
    Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Mr. Meeks, that's rather petty and vindictive. Are you trolling to get a reaction, or are you really content to wish ill upon your country?

Remember, Alastair renounced his allegiance to the country on the 24th. He moves on a higher plane now.
    Is it a Gulfstream?
    Even our Charles flies economy ;)
    BA generously put me in business out on this trip & 1A back.
    Are you GGL?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Charles said:

As a metropolitan liberal who is routinely accused of sneering at bumpkins, I want Andrea Leadsom to win.

I want to see the entire Leave project discredited and the Conservative party left in utter chaos and disorder. I can think of no better way of achieving that than having a government led by a manifestly inadequate Leaver.

So your private amusement is more impotent that the welfare of our people?
    I'd imagine AM's private amusement is feeling pretty virile currently.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    It's a question of party vs country.

As far as the country is concerned, May is obviously the better candidate.

As far as the party is concerned, Leadsom all the way - it's the only foreseeable way to a Labour Government.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    IDS making the case for PM Leadsom. Stand down. It's going to be fine.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited July 2016

SeanT said:

As a metropolitan liberal who is routinely accused of sneering at bumpkins, I want Andrea Leadsom to win.

I want to see the entire Leave project discredited and the Conservative party left in utter chaos and disorder. I can think of no better way of achieving that than having a government led by a manifestly inadequate Leaver.

So you want to see absolute ruin, just to say I TOLD YOU SO?

You really are an adolescent jerk.
    He's not the only Remainer here to take that attitude, but he's probably the most open about it.

I've been outvoted in various elections over the years, but would never want the country to fail because I felt being right was more important than the country succeeding. The attitude is a complete mystery to me, and yet it's undeniably there.
    And taken to its logical conclusion, really indicates why the country was never safe in the hands of people who think this way.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. PB, I fear Boris was all mouth, and no trousers.

He had trousers alright. Problem is half the time they were round his ankles...

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Off-topic, and one for the techies:

Just in case you didn't realise that Cambridge is an awesome place, someone here's developed a new chip technology. Intel is only on 14 nanometer per transistor. Well, a single guy in Cambridge has beaten them to a world first:

http://www.gizmag.com/megaprocessor-room-size-computer/44218/

http://www.megaprocessor.com/index.html

:)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    TGOHF said:

In case any one has not seen this, the Lib Dems are starting to select PPCs again in case there is an early election.

Go for the whole unelected, no mandate for major constitutional change madness instead.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

As far as the party is concerned, Leadsom all the way - it's the only foreseeable way to a Labour Government.

Both beat Corbo - you'd be better off backing May the remainer.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    SeanT said:

Thought: Leadsom has the Cro-Magnon ur-sceptic vote, but she needs to show that she can win a General Election, and be centrist and sensible.

She will be forced to tack left - the markets will demand it as much as MPs. I bet she will opt for EEA status. Which will annoy some of her supporters.

A large, perhaps dominant, force at the next GE is going to be the *absence* of UKIP candidate in 130+ seats.

Nige (pbuh) has stated Brexiteers from other parties will be unopposed by UKIP.

Can't see any conceivable ukip leader going against his wishes.

Lkewise, the REMAIN seats will obviously get special attention.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    John_M said:

JJ has already mention that Julian Huppert is restanding in Cambridge.

Here in St Albans we have been nominated as an all women shortlist with hustings later this month.

There are lady Lib Dems? I thought they were like Dwarfs or something.
    Tsk, people of restricted growth. Where were you during the political correctness wars?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Go for the whole unelected, no mandate for major constitutional change madness instead.
    It doesn't count if you weren't elected ? Tell that to Gordon "bust" Brown.
  • Options

Just in case you didn't realise that Cambridge is an awesome place, someone here's developed a new chip technology. Intel is only on 14 nanometer per transistor. Well, a single guy in Cambridge has beaten them to a world first:

That is very cool. Beats my experience of swapping chips on an 11/780, though the 'CPU' still consisted of several boards.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    murali_s said:

So you put country first?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970
    Just seen on Facebook.

"Apparently you can get odds of 8 to 1 on Spurs winning the Premiership next season. For those of you who don't know how betting works, it means if you put £100 on Spurs you will lose £100."

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    ydoethur said:

Alistair I've always admired you and often agreed with you, but I am really hoping that comment was a joke.

Just as I was adamantly opposed to Corbyn winning because I foresaw that he would do serious damage to the Labour Party (although I never foresaw that he would be quite this bad, or so comprehensively discredit the ideals of the metropolitan left in the eyes of the rest of the land) so we have to have May now.

For why? Because to quote a certain person, 'you can't play politics with people's jobs and people's services.' Andrea Leadsom would be luxury in opposition. In government she would be a nightmare and might even cause the full implosion of our economy and system of government. Surely that's not what you want?
    As long as pensions lawyers aren't affected, I'd imagine that's exactly what he wants. Your side are the baddies - didn't you get the memo?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    John_M said:

Cameron should have made a better argument. Or better yet, not agreed to have a referendum. The Left loved to blame Thatcher for everything.

Of course, if the EU had not ignored the double rejection of the EU constitution and imposed it anyway, in a cack-handed and inept fashion, there wouldn't have been such pressure on Cameron for there to be a referendum on our membership of the EU.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Mr. Meeks, that's rather petty and vindictive. Are you trolling to get a reaction, or are you really content to wish ill upon your country?

Remember, Alastair renounced his allegiance to the country on the 24th. He moves on a higher plane now.
    Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    Of course. Bloody hard to get flying economy!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I await Leadsoms tax return with interest...

Seems to me it would be best if all prospective MPs were obliged to publish their tax returns. And if they do, why shouldn't all our tax returns be publicly available?

Either people have a right to privacy or they don't.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

It doesn't count if you weren't elected ? Tell that to Gordon "bust" Brown.
    Yep, all that shit Tories flung at Brown is coming right back at you with interest.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DearPB said:

Mr. Glenn, she also benefited hugely from Gove removing Boris and himself, and from May for deciding not to put Gove on the ballot.

That may come back to haunt her. Or not. We shall see.

The Boris decision looks harder to understand every day - if he had stayed in he'd have got to the members - what was he scared of? Winning possibly.
    In the coverage there was a mention that he was worried that Mr Gove might leak things Mr Johnson had said to him during the campaign. No idea if that's true or not.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    JohnO said:

DearPB said:

JohnO said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Surely we can trust them to come out for Theresa, even if the fruitcakes from the shires come out for Leadsom?

The Tories voted for IDS. Leadsom is interesting (in a morbid, curious way) and will therefore get attention. In a world we vote for Brexit and Corbyn, don't count anything out.
    Tories voted for IDS in a time of economic stability, and prosperity, and when their vote didn't really count anyway.

They are now voting inna time of epochal economic instability, at a time when Britain really could break up, or break down, and they are voting for the prime minister who has to fix this. And stabilise the property market. This will concentrate minds.

It will be May.
    There you go again, applying logic and rational thought to the problem. Politics doesn't work that way at the moment.

There is a more reliable method....

Put the two candidate mugshots on the floor. Get a cat. Get it drunk. Get it very drunk. Tie some catnip to a nearby record player. Whichever candidate the cat throws up on will win the vote.

Probably correct; by definition the people who are still members of a political party are deeply strange. And they often behave in a deeply strange way.
    When I was Leader of the Council, every so often I would bite one of my colleagues, usually at random but frequently drawing blood. Most didn't think it strange at all.
    When I was Leader of the Council, I occasionally failed to come up with the most right wing answer to a given question, and then my colleagues would bite me.
    See, leafy Elmbridge is the examplar of normaility, whereas ??? Borough/County Council.....
    That would risk giving up my anonymity!! Welwyn Hatfield
  • Options

Charles said:

So your private amusement is more impotent that the welfare of our people?
    I'd imagine AM's private amusement is feeling pretty virile currently.
    I hate my new phone. ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016

Here in St Albans we have been nominated as an all women shortlist with hustings later this month.

Is it goodbye to Sandy Walkington's candidature? I bumped into him during the Eastleigh by-election.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

murali_s said:

So you put country first?
    Always!

A Leadsom premiership will bring misery to millions....
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

You can fly Economy because you know your chance of not getting upgraded is minimal. :)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Apparently Populous had a wisdom of the crowds poll which had leave ahead 51-49%
    I don't remember it.
    http://www.newstalk.com/How-did-the-polls-get-the-Brexit-campaign-so-wrong
  • Options

Just seen on Facebook.

"Apparently you can get odds of 8 to 1 on Spurs winning the Premiership next season. For those of you who don't know how betting works, it means if you put £100 on Spurs you will lose £100."

lololol
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    Pauly said:

Well I hope Gove is happy now.

Hope he gets Education again - time to finish the great job he was doing before Cameron was advised to drop him.
    It was the right decision though - he was an electoral liability.
    Gove needs education, surely you are not seriously suggesting he should be allowed back. No funding for core teacher training places, no teachers, building schools for the future cancelled so we can pay off the deficit which is now not being paid off.
    Gove is more than an electoral liability the bloke is an absolute menace to the future of everything.
  • Options
    John_M said:

One of the more amusing aspects of the resistible rise of Andrea Leadsom is seeing the posts from the EEA Leavers. You can almost see their grey pallor through the computer screen.

Enjoy it Alastair. Schadenfreude is a vastly underrated emotion :). I am literally terrified for the first time since the referendum.
    No need to worry. Our national creed has always been Muddle Through Somehow.
  • Options
    As an aside, I do find it pleasing that this evening's result means that the evil Tories will have give the country their second female Prime Minister whilst the supposed party of equality with all their fixed shortlists and equality cabinets has still not provided anyone but middle aged white males.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,435
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Alistair I've always admired you and often agreed with you, but I am really hoping that comment was a joke.

Just as I was adamantly opposed to Corbyn winning because I foresaw that he would do serious damage to the Labour Party (although I never foresaw that he would be quite this bad, or so comprehensively discredit the ideals of the metropolitan left in the eyes of the rest of the land) so we have to have May now.

For why? Because to quote a certain person, 'you can't play politics with people's jobs and people's services.' Andrea Leadsom would be luxury in opposition. In government she would be a nightmare and might even cause the full implosion of our economy and system of government. Surely that's not what you want?
    As long as pensions lawyers aren't affected, I'd imagine that's exactly what he wants. Your side are the baddies - didn't you get the memo?
    I don't have a side, LuckyGuy. I always vote for whoever I think will do the best job. That's encompassed four major parties and a variety of independents.

I appreciate that makes me unusual on here.
  • Options

You've just demonstrated with the utmost clarity why it is that GB will always be a force to be reckoned with in the world!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:
    There are many dedicated and quite fanatical leavers like myself and Max who want to see May win as well.
  • Options
    John_M said:

That is very cool. Beats my experience of swapping chips on an 11/780, though the 'CPU' still consisted of several boards.
    Rumours Mrs J is developing an RF chip to be used with it are unfounded. ;)

Can you imagine the size of the mobile phone it'd go in?
  • Options

I once had lunch with a chip designer at Intel, and said to him something along the lines of "if you gave me 100 years, I could write Microsoft Word, but if you gave me all of eternity, I couldn't make a CPU"
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

You can fly Economy because you know your chance of not getting upgraded is minimal. :)
    Sssh! I was getting on well with the whole puritan stitck. Don't give the game away!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

John_M said:

One of the more amusing aspects of the resistible rise of Andrea Leadsom is seeing the posts from the EEA Leavers. You can almost see their grey pallor through the computer screen.

Enjoy it Alastair. Schadenfreude is a vastly underrated emotion :). I am literally terrified for the first time since the referendum.
    No need to worry. Our national creed has always been Muddle Through Somehow.
    It's OK Anne, I had a brief @SeanT moment, then remembered that I am English. Lip is stiffened. Ready to cast my vote for young Theresa.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    From Popbitch - a pb hero.

During the weekend's Australian election TV coverage, people wondered why Laurie Oakes (a well-known Canberra journo who appeared on the Nine Network's coverage) was changing his tie so often.

Turns out that Oakes had found out about a site that was taking bets on the colour of his tie
    for election night, so he wore one for every option the bookies offered odds on (yellow, blue,
    black, green, red or any other colour)

As a result, everyone who placed a bet got a payout.
  • Options

Pauly said:

Hope he gets Education again - time to finish the great job he was doing before Cameron was advised to drop him.
    Gove needs education, surely you are not seriously suggesting he should be allowed back. No funding for core teacher training places, no teachers, building schools for the future cancelled so we can pay off the deficit which is now not being paid off.
    Gove is more than an electoral liability the bloke is an absolute menace to the future of everything.
    Cancelling BSF was a brilliant idea. It was a expensive ego trip by Brown to prove he was investing. Not one of the three schools I spent time in that were built under it were fit for purpose - too much glass, build quality poor, aesthetics terrible and in one case classrooms in an L-shape. But they all cost four times the headline figure which meant Skanska's profit margins were huge. Gove's start was actually a very encouraging one.

Pity about the rest of it...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

Cameron should have made a better argument. Or better yet, not agreed to have a referendum. The Left loved to blame Thatcher for everything.

Of course, if the EU had not ignored the double rejection of the EU constitution and imposed it anyway, in a cack-handed and inept fashion, there wouldn't have been such pressure on Cameron for there to be a referendum on our membership of the EU.

Just a thought.
    It's fun to play the intellectual game of 'Pin the tail on the donkey'. How about Brown, for failing to give us a referendum on Lisbon?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

Just a thought.
    It's fun to play the intellectual game of 'Pin the tail on the donkey'. How about Brown, for failing to give us a referendum on Lisbon?
    Or Eden and Macmillan for not taking us in at the very start? :tongue:

Edit - or Churchill and the Duke of Windsor for suggesting it in the first place?
  • Options

John_M said:

The battery! OMG :).
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Now May will come under scrutiny.

So far she has escaped in the media whilst the dogs were set on preventing Leadsom getting to the last two.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I once had lunch with a chip designer at Intel, and said to him something along the lines of "if you gave me 100 years, I could write Microsoft Word, but if you gave me all of eternity, I couldn't make a CPU"
    You must be exceptionally clever, given the thousands of man years Bill Gates must have paid for to get his hands on Microsoft Word.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

So, you want the entire country fucked.

Nice.
    Everything that's happening now is an inevitable consequence of the Brexit vote. If the country is fucked it's the fault of the people arguing to vote against the Prime Minister's position.
    Cameron should have made a better argument. Or better yet, not agreed to have a referendum. The Left loved to blame Thatcher for everything. Let's point to Blair, a man who traduced and discredited the office of Prime Minister and left a poisonous legacy for his successors.

As a general rule, blaming the voters is intellectually and morally bankrupt. Don't like democracy? Move to Syria.
    I wasn't blaming the voters, I was blaming the dishonest Leave campaign.

As far as I can see it's the people on here who were egging it on who are now horrified by what is coming to pass so I won't take any lectures on democracy.
    The "dishonest Leave campaign". And the Remain campaign was as pure as the driven snow was it?
    My political memories go back to Heath versus Wilson and ALL the campaigns are full of lies, half-truths, accusations and innuendos. (The worst of all being the 1975 Referendum, with the benefit of hindsight.)

"I won't take any lectures on democracy". That's a shame. You need them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

Sssh! I was getting on well with the whole puritan stitck. Don't give the game away!
    I'm pretty consistently in the 3-3,500 TP range, so always fall just short. That being said, I have a two day trip to Oz next month, Texas in September, San Fran in Nov and Las Vegas in January.

It requires an ungodly amount of flying (and a willingness to stick religiously to BA) to get GGL.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Gideon?
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

The battery! OMG :).
    Scaled up, probably a small power station.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Just seen on Facebook.

bargain!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

You must be exceptionally clever, given the thousands of man years Bill Gates must have paid for to get his hands on Microsoft Word.
    I was simply making the point that - for a half way competent computer programmer, which I'm probably not - there is nothing technically demanding about writing Microsoft Word, especially in a world where there are such amazing development tools and libraries.

Creating a microprocessor is another level of difficulty altogether.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,435

ToryJim said:
    There are many dedicated and quite fanatical leavers like myself and Max who want to see May win as well.
    It's interesting I wasn't on the Leave side but it's interesting with my friends as some were passionately Leave and have been better at reaching out and others have been just crazed gloaters :( needless to say the gloaters are Leadsom and the others are May or Gove. I expect my Gove friends will mainly move to May.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

John_M said:

I find myself in the odd situation of now rooting for the Daily Mail as it does a six week hatchet job on Leadsom. Or are they going to change?

Media needs to learn lessons from the Remain campaign. Clever wordplay, sneering at Leadsom's faith, mocking her views on adoption? Fucking stupid.

It will make the members' hackles rise. The rule should be: if you're a metropolitan luvvie and you don't want PM Leadsom, stfu.
    Indeed. Metro elite Tories sneering at Leadsom should remember that they just lost the EU referendum.
    Luckily for May she doesn't do sneering and doesn't come across as posho metrosexual. She comes across as boring but quite clever and competent grammar school girl. That will do, for now. in the absence of Churchill or Thatcher.
    No-one ever knows what a person is capable of becoming until they are in a position to show us. No-one saw a Churchill or a Thatcher when Churchill & Thatcher were just starting out.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,530
    ydoethur said:

Pauly said:

Cancelling BSF was a brilliant idea. It was a expensive ego trip by Brown to prove he was investing. Not one of the three schools I spent time in that were built under it were fit for purpose - too much glass, build quality poor, aesthetics terrible and in one case classrooms in an L-shape. But they all cost four times the headline figure which meant Skanska's profit margins were huge. Gove's start was actually a very encouraging one.

Quite. My theory is that the best use of Mr Grove's definite talents is to post him somewhere new every few years, let him shake out bad stuff, then move someone new in to rebuild.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pauly said:

Gove needs to stay at Justice. He appears to be the first Justice Minister in decades who is doing something of real value to reduce reoffending and make prisons places that rehabilitate rather than just keep people locked up.

When the New Statesman is saying that the great Tory bogeyman is doing something good and worthy it is worth listening.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/05/michael-goves-quiet-revolution-could-transform-prisoner-education
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

Just a thought.
    Or Eden and Macmillan for not taking us in at the very start? :tongue:

Edit - or Churchill and the Duke of Windsor for suggesting it in the first place?
    In retrospect, we should have just let the Kaiser win. It's been nothing but trouble ever since.
  • Options

ToryJim said:
    No, that's not possible, only bitter remainers like May, Ive read it on the internet.
  • Options
    The Polish trade minister on Brexit talks:

"Mr Sikorski believes the UK will inevitably have to leave the EU altogether as a result of the June 23 vote, and that renegotiating a new relationship will be long, painful and probably less advantageous."This is not a divorce, which is a separation of equals. This is a resignation of one out of 28,"

It seems inevitable that the UK will have to leave, the minister said, as even if there were to be a change of heart in government, it likely wouldn't be feasible politically to reverse course given pressure from within the euroskeptic wing of the Conservative Party and "sniping" from the UK Independence Party.

The problem for the UK is that under any institutional arrangement the EU tends to get what it wants, namely free trade in goods, while the UK won't get what it wants, which is trade in services, he said. "I don't see how it can be squared" given the promises made by the Leave campaign, he said. "It would be sensible to turn around and not leave but I don't think it's politically possible to do that given that the vote was pretty clear."

The former minister said he's struck by how misinformed the debate in Britain was, even at the highest level of government. Moreover, Britain has no recent experience of dealing with the EU as an outsider, he said. He witnessed it at first hand during Poland's negotiations to join, and described it as an "unbelievably humiliating procedure" that may well be interpreted in Britain as EU hostility. "It's not, it's just how it is. Every country will defend its interests, will try to get the best deal possible out of Britain and this puts Britain in a vulnerable position and I think markets correctly see that," he said."
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    edited July 2016
    Davidson declares for May....probably not first to post this but here we are.

And ConHome....must be second to this.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National - Rasmussen .. Clinton 40 .. Trump 42

National - Ipsos/Reuters .. Clinton 44 .. Trump 33

California - Field .. Clinton 58 .. Trump 28
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

John_M said:

I find myself in the odd situation of now rooting for the Daily Mail as it does a six week hatchet job on Leadsom. Or are they going to change?

Media needs to learn lessons from the Remain campaign. Clever wordplay, sneering at Leadsom's faith, mocking her views on adoption? Fucking stupid.

It will make the members' hackles rise. The rule should be: if you're a metropolitan luvvie and you don't want PM Leadsom, stfu.
    Indeed. Metro elite Tories sneering at Leadsom should remember that they just lost the EU referendum.
    Luckily for May she doesn't do sneering and doesn't come across as posho metrosexual. She comes across as boring but quite clever and competent grammar school girl. That will do, for now. in the absence of Churchill or Thatcher.
    No-one ever knows what a person is capable of becoming until they are in a position to show us. No-one saw a Churchill or a Thatcher when Churchill & Thatcher were just starting out.
    Churchill was Home Secretary in his early 30s.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    John_M said:

ydoethur said:

John_M said:

Just a thought.
    The British people fairly clearly do not want and have never wanted to be part of a federal country of Europe. Therefore given the EU attitude that the answer to any development is always "more Europe!" it was only a matter of time before the government got an almighty slap in the face at the ballot box.

A referendum on a European question has been inevitable since about 1996. It would have been better if we could have rejected the Euro at a referendum 15 years ago or the Constitution/Lisbon 7 or so years ago. But it would have been worse if we'd had to wait through another 10 or 20 years of integration before getting a chance to say "enough!"
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Pauly said:

Gove needs to stay at Justice. He appears to be the first Justice Minister in decades who is doing something of real value to reduce reoffending and make prisons places that rehabilitate rather than just keep people locked up.

When the New Statesman is saying that the great Tory bogeyman is doing something good and worthy it is worth listening.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/05/michael-goves-quiet-revolution-could-transform-prisoner-education
    Agreed 100%. For all his (many) faults, Gove is a thoughtful guy, who tries to make a difference. He's also - unlike some people - quite evidence driven, which I find a refreshing change.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347
    HaroldO said:

As I said earlier and she will be very anti Leadsom with Leadsom's views on gay marriage.
  • Options
    BBC profile of Leadsom includes

"She came from humble beginnings for a Conservative politician, being brought up in Tring, Hertfordshire, by a divorced mother in a terraced house with an outside toilet."

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I bet you could come up with a simple workable instruction set (certainly better than X86), and perhaps even an architecture.

Designing a chip to meet those, and particularly implementing it, is a very different matter. Also I think you'd have to sell your Gulfstream: the price-per-seat of the software you need to design chips is eye-watering. A certain company I know was quoted a per-seat price in the many billions.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    DearPB said:

JohnO said:

DearPB said:

JohnO said:

DearPB said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

They are now voting inna time of epochal economic

It will be May.

That would risk giving up my anonymity!! Welwyn Hatfield
    I thought you hailed from around there unless I'm misremembering that you used to post here quite regularly under a different name (weren't you the youngest council leader in the country?) a few years back.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Pauly said:

Agreed 100%. For all his (many) faults, Gove is a thoughtful guy, who tries to make a difference. He's also - unlike some people - quite evidence driven, which I find a refreshing change.
    I actually have no idea - someone was saying earlier this week on here that Gove is not evidence driven, in effect, in that he has his ideas and pursues them ignoring any objections or evidence, which is fine if he happens to be right, not if he isn't.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    AndyJS said:

Is it goodbye to Sandy Walkington's candidature? I bumped into him during the Eastleigh by-election.
    Yes. He said after the last election he was not going to restand.

The PPCs are only selected for a temporary period, until the earlier of a snap General Election or 31 May 2017. So that new ones can be chosen after the boundary changes.

I understand that the boundary commissions will be publishing their first cut in September for consultation.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

"Mr Sikorski believes the UK will inevitably have to leave the EU altogether as a result of the June 23 vote, and that renegotiating a new relationship will be long, painful and probably less advantageous."This is not a divorce, which is a separation of equals. This is a resignation of one out of 28,"

It seems inevitable that the UK will have to leave, the minister said, as even if there were to be a change of heart in government, it likely wouldn't be feasible politically to reverse course given pressure from within the euroskeptic wing of the Conservative Party and "sniping" from the UK Independence Party.

The problem for the UK is that under any institutional arrangement the EU tends to get what it wants, namely free trade in goods, while the UK won't get what it wants, which is trade in services, he said. "I don't see how it can be squared" given the promises made by the Leave campaign, he said. "It would be sensible to turn around and not leave but I don't think it's politically possible to do that given that the vote was pretty clear."

The former minister said he's struck by how misinformed the debate in Britain was, even at the highest level of government. Moreover, Britain has no recent experience of dealing with the EU as an outsider, he said. He witnessed it at first hand during Poland's negotiations to join, and described it as an "unbelievably humiliating procedure" that may well be interpreted in Britain as EU hostility. "It's not, it's just how it is. Every country will defend its interests, will try to get the best deal possible out of Britain and this puts Britain in a vulnerable position and I think markets correctly see that," he said."

Silly man.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Silly man.
    He may be right. I hope not.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

HaroldO said:

As I said earlier and she will be very anti Leadsom with Leadsom's views on gay marriage.
    Leadsom's views on gay marriage are less controversial than they appear. She seems to have favoured full equality for civil unions (i.e. marriage in her terms) and to take the government out of religious ceremonies altogether.

Anyway, it's a done deal now so her personal views are irrelevant.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I bet you could come up with a simple workable instruction set (certainly better than X86), and perhaps even an architecture.

Designing a chip to meet those, and particularly implementing it, is a very different matter. Also I think you'd have to sell your Gulfstream: the price-per-seat of the software you need to design chips is eye-watering. A certain company I know was quoted a per-seat price in the many billions.
    What! I thought you just knocked together a few lines of VHDL and hit the "compile" button :)
  • Options
    O/T

Can anyone explain how Owen Smith came to be the 5/2 favourite to be the next leader of the Labour Party? I'd scarcely even heard of him until around two weeks ago. Surely they have bigger and better talent to pick from?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

I'm pretty consistently in the 3-3,500 TP range, so always fall just short. That being said, I have a two day trip to Oz next month, Texas in September, San Fran in Nov and Las Vegas in January.

It requires an ungodly amount of flying (and a willingness to stick religiously to BA) to get GGL.
    I usually run at somewhere between 5000 - 6000 so usually get CRC but this year I spent 3 months gardening so am stuck at GGL for the next 12 months

Try flying first around the US - $300 gets you 60TP.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I was simply making the point that - for a half way competent computer programmer, which I'm probably not - there is nothing technically demanding about writing Microsoft Word, especially in a world where there are such amazing development tools and libraries.

Creating a microprocessor is another level of difficulty altogether.
    My mind is continually blown by the fact that they can fabricate chips that have feature sizes less than the wavelength of the light used for the photo masks.

It's very Arthur C. Clarke 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

So far she has escaped in the media whilst the dogs were set on preventing Leadsom getting to the last two.

I've noticed.
    The Daily Mail has become the Daily May recently, and The Sun into The Gove.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ToryJim said:
    No, that's not possible, only bitter remainers like May, Ive read it on the internet.
    I do think that Brexiteer's are so blind that they cannot see that leaving Brexiteers negotiating with the EU would be a disaster for their cause and more importantly UKPLC.

Can you imagine Leadsom v Juncker or May v Merkel.

May has support across the party and will take us out of the EU. How many remainer's does Leadsom have on her side
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Same reason May's Remainer support are, to a somewhat lesser extent, irrelevant, but I'll bet it comes up a lot.

Obviously I'm being a little facetious with that comparison, and in fact I can see attempts to portray Leadsome as some kind of neanderthal happening, if not at an official level, and backfiring.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

I usually run at somewhere between 5000 - 6000 so usually get CRC but this year I spent 3 months gardening so am stuck at GGL for the next 12 months

I usually fly Southwest around the US, but am willing to try your theory...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Poland is not a nuclear power ;).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

John_M said:

And it's essential for her to continue in that vein, and silence those of her supporters who denounce Andrea Leadsom for sharing the values of provincial England, for most Conservative members share the values of provincial England.
  • Options

HaroldO said:

Leadsom's views on gay marriage are less controversial than they appear. She seems to have favoured full equality for civil unions (i.e. marriage in her terms) and to take the government out of religious ceremonies altogether.

Not to Ruth Davidson I would venture to suggest and why even get involved in the matter
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

Do the Muscat special. You get loads of TPs.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

"

Well, he's right about at least one thing
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

Silly man.
    He may be right. I hope not.
    A brief read-around today has the Germans predicting a fall in car exports for this year as opposed to the 5% rise they were expecting, 95% of Irish hoteliers concerned over Brexit, the Greek tourist industry complaining about both Brexit and 'no one wanting to see refugees' and Portuguese banks largely going the same way as the Italian ones.

The pressure to deliver an economic solution will sweep the rest away.
  • Options
    On thread, did Tory Jim get a fee?

July 5
    ToryJim said:
    » show previous quotes
    The English Sarah Palin.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    By the way, if Palin was like Leadsom she would be President of the USA by now.

You can't compare a former supermodel from Alaska to anyone in parliament at the moment.
  • Options

Just seen on Facebook.

Well at least that's cheaper and a good deal less painful than buying a season ticket.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

By the way, if Palin was like Leadsom she would be President of the USA by now.

You can't compare a former supermodel from Alaska to anyone in parliament at the moment.

Charlie Falconer
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I've noticed.
    Presumably Conservative members read the Telegraph.
  • Options

Just seen on Facebook.

Well at least that's cheaper and a good deal less painful than buying a season ticket.
    Thank you. Can we change the topic please - 10 months in the year are quite bad enough.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

I usually fly Southwest around the US, but am willing to try your theory...
    Southwest is good - I use them for SNA-SFO but other hand to fly Eagle as they cover the mid west better than others (and still give you BA points...)
  • Options

Speedy said:

I've noticed.
    Presumably Conservative members read the Telegraph.
    Not since it turned into a comic.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

Is it a Gulfstream?
    Are you GGL?
    LOL!

Charles - sorry to hear about your gardening leave, I do hope it all works out for you.
This discussion has been closed.