Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In many ways Andrea Leadsom looks like Britain’s Sarah Pali

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    AndyJS said:

Norm said:

Slightly better result for Leadsom than I expected. She reflects a strand of opinion within the party that deserves to be aired. Still expect a relativelty straightforward May win on the members ballot..

What - fucking nutters?
    Are you a Leadsom mole? That sort of language only increases her chances.
    I don't think Kraken is a Tory, if memory serves :p
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

All boils down to the blue-rinse nutters in the country then to decide on who presides over the destruction of our communities - could we end up with both main parties having unelectable leaders chosen by their party without the support of the majority of their MPs?

The Lib Dems must be able to take advantage of this, surely?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    Erm, who exactly does Theresa May think has been running the country for the "privileged few"?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

rcs1000 said:

kingbongo said:

can't believe Leadsom has secured a role in government at all - all her candidature has done for me is highlight how poor the current crop of politicos is - the left of the labour party have gone from Foot to Corbyn and the right of the tory party from Joseph to Leadsom - in the middle are massed ranks of PR-based no marks and people who think Michael Gove is clever rather than just good at sounding smart to a certain sort of tory.

as a centre right socially liberal tory I think any party member who doesn't see May as the least bad candidate in the most difficult climate at least since Suez is just too sad for words, and I will despair for our country should we have the misfortune to be lumped with Leadsom as PM

Back into the "anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot" fortress! How did that work out for you in the referendum?
    I don't know if you've noticed this, but a lot of Leavers on this board - including MaxPB and myself - have the same reservations about Leadsom.
    Thats a perfectly reasonable position. What I am criticising is the subsegment of opponents who work themselves into a frothy mess over every tenuous criticism.
    My view is that ultimately she is not experienced enough to move from junior minister to Prime Minister. The rest is just the commentariat jumping up and down in pursuit of clicks.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/sophyridgesky/status/751075336008429568

Erm, who exactly does Theresa May think has been running the country for the "privileged few"?
    Cameron and his chumocracy? :p
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,429

It will be interesting now to see whom Michael Gove supports. My guess is Theresa May.

Well him banging on about experience would suggest so, but him and May have history!!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

How many other countries have elected their second female leader?

Bangladesh.
    Sri Lanka. Mother and daughter.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

Slightly better result for Leadsom than I expected. She reflects a strand of opinion within the party that deserves to be aired. Still expect a relativelty straightforward May win on the members ballot..

What - fucking nutters?
    What are you so bothered about? As a supposed LD you have said yourself your party would benefit from AL as PM (which won't happen anyway).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

All boils down to the blue-rinse nutters in the country then to decide on who presides over the destruction of our communities - could we end up with both main parties having unelectable leaders chosen by their party without the support of the majority of their MPs?

Yep, we really are heading into a looking glass world.
    If you cant play, or are no good at chess, don't go there. ;)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

AndyJS said:

May 60.5%
    Leadsom 25.5%
    Gove 14.0%

That's about 60% remain/ 40% Leave

A swing to Leave of about 5% amongst Conservative MPs.
    Except May barely campaigned for REMAIN ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    John_M said:

TOPPING said:

MEANWHILE....can we for a moment picture the scene at the Vine household tonight.

Michael will be sleeping in the spare room tonight.
    Ms Vine won't be sleeping, she'll be too busy washing her hands. Repeatedly.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

I guess Andrea Leadsom now needs to decide whether it is tenable for her to continue to seek to lead the Conservative party and the country with the support of only a quarter of the Conservative Parliamentary party.

I expect that her answer will be yes.

May has had the payroll vote in the MP election for the leadership..

But the payroll vote will be glad to move to whoever is the PM chosen by the membership.

• Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Bangladesh (four now), Finland, Haiti, Lithuania, Moldova, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Senegal, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Sao Tome and Principe.

Not unique then!
    Bangladesh's 4 is actually 2. Shiekh Hasina and Khaleda Zia. They were elected twice each. Not including the last time, when the opposition boycotted the polls.

Bangladesh hasn't had a male PM since 1991 apart from 2 years of a caretaker government.
    I've already been chastised by Sunil :(
    Could be worse - you could be "chastised" by Andrea Leadsom :lol:
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MEANWHILE....can we for a moment picture the scene at the Vine household tonight.

I can see a divorce pending.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Christ on a bike does that mean we have a couple of months of ScottPaste tweets on various claims about Leadsom ? Life might be too short. I wouldn't vote for her personally, but a two month hatchet job is going to make electing her more likely not less - see "hand, overplaying" (reference EU referendum remain campaign)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Spare a thought also for the mood in the Harman household this evening :)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Afternoon all :)

Scarcely a ringing endorsement for Theresa May - she got Crabb's supporters as might have been expected but Fox's supporters have gone to Leadsom along with a couple of switchers from Team Gove.

Despite a brutal 48 hours for her, Leadsom has held the line reasonably well. She has been a victim of the kind of full-on character assassination normally reserved for Labour and Liberal Democrat leaders.

The divisions in the Conservative parliamentary party (which the Referendum was meant to end once and for all) are now laid bare. 200 MPs (roughly) form the pro-EU dissident ex-Cameroon factions and 130 or so form the all out LEAVE group - that's a 60-40 split.

If we are to believe the polls, May has strong support among the members at this time but Leadsom has a chance to galvanise the ex-LEAVE supporters and others. In 2001, the membership went for IDS over Clarke but in 2005 for Cameron over Davis so it's very hard to read it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FFS. If they choose Leadsom the country is ruined.

Crowd sourcing is the modern way.

The Conservative membership will decide.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

hahahaha. Gove's machiavellian plan ended up to be a fucking car crash.

May vs Bojo - now that would've been interesting!

Boris destroys Dave
    Gove destroys Boris
    Dinosaurs eat man
    Woman inherits the Earth :)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Indigo said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

FPT: Hannan tried to set the right tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yadFh0R8E

I love Dan Hannan. That's exactly the right tone. (Much, much better than Farage.)
    I am a Hannanite. Sounds biblical. I like it. Not sure if he's a hard Brexiter. If so, he's a heretic! Burn him!
    I am a Hannanite as well. As I understand it Hannan is a free trade libertarian. I think he would mostly be quite happy with EEA, but he believes (as I do) that the borders of the United Kingdom should be under the control of the elected representatives and institutions of the British people. This is far from meaning that he thinks we should even reduce immigration, i suspect quite the opposite, just that the number of people and the conditions of entry should be decided by our parliament. Its basically the right-wing communitarian view (which I also lean towards) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communitarianism#Responsive_communitarianism_movement
    Count me in. Hannanite here too..
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Female PMs

Cons 2
    Labour 0

NB - LDs don't even have a female MP...

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

done - what's next?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,429
    Has Leadweight reacted yet?
  • Options
    Even if your a Brexiteer, surely you can't want someone of Leadsom's low wattage ability as PM? Pure ideology.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,659
    surbiton said:

Bangladesh.
    Sri Lanka. Mother and daughter.
    That sounds like a SeanT holiday.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,107

John_M said:

TOPPING said:

Michael will be sleeping in the spare room tonight.
    Ms Vine won't be sleeping, she'll be too busy washing her hands. Repeatedly.
    "Out, damned spad."
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    SeanT said:

That's what the Heathite's used to say about Margaret.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Montie
    199 MPs for Mrs May. Impressive. Glad she wants to persuade Tory members too. In 2005 she fought hard Vs Howard's plan to scrap members' say
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,501
    I don't think the comparison is unfair - I think it's cretinous.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I think this is bad news for Theresa.

Look at the votes. 1st round. May 165 , Crabb 34.

2nd round. May 199.

The Remainers are voting for a Remain candidate, by and large. The Brexiters are voting for theirs.

In the party at large, there are more Brexiters !
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

James Kirkup
    @jameskirkup
    130 MPs who voted for Leadsom/Gove is v close to number who voted Leave. If she's PM, T May will have to work v hard to unite party.

If May's camp carry on putting the boot in for the next 6-8 weeks all it will do is guarantee 80 or so Tory MPs that won't vote for anything May wants to do when she gets elected PM.
  • Options
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 3m3 minutes ago
    Look how happy IDS is after Leadsom gets on ballot - told me Monday "if we can get her to the country, she'll win"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Indigo said:

midwinter said:

Indigo said:

I've said it before and I will continue to do so Andrea Leadsom is toxic. Any half decent opposition worth its name would destroy her - fortunately for her we have no such opposition so she may get away with it...for now.

As a Lib Dem I hope she wins as there's plenty of ammo to use against her...not so much with Theresa May

If you can get Tim Whatshisname to generate some sort of public profile so people actually give him a hearing.
    If Leadsom wins I suspect Tim will be leading a much larger troop in 2020. He may well do anyway if the Tory right continue to display their normal lack of self perception to their electability.
    If centrism was a guarantee of votes or popularity we would have permanent LD majority governments.
    I believe competence is also a requirement.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Norm

'What are you so bothered about? As a supposed LD you have said yourself your party would benefit from AL as PM (which won't happen anyway). '

The all white male middle class Lib Dems look like a relic of the 80's
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,534
    SeanT said:

They have to truncate this leadership. Two/three weeks is enough. The economy cannot bear ten fucking weeks of instability.

The entire country is effectively without leadership, at one of the most dangerous times in recent history. Since the war, probably.

Why, you signed up to the Andrea Leadsom message that Brexit wouldn't impact on the UK economy.

Sack up you mewling quim
  • Options
    SeanT said:

They have to truncate this leadership. Two/three weeks is enough. The economy cannot bear ten fucking weeks of instability.

The entire country is effectively without leadership, at one of the most dangerous times in recent history. Since the war, probably.

The chairman of the '22 committee seemed to leave a truncated election open, as he said the result was "currently planned for the 9th of September", implying it could change.
  • Options
    Can it be that sly, and far from incompetent Boris, is sliding on the outside to a commanding cabinet position?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,867
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

84 for Leadsom? Give me a break. Are these people mad?

Wait until the members have had a say.
    Hmm. For some reason that doesn't give me a comforting feeling. Who knows what mad bandwagon can be got up by early September.

I really didn't think things could get much worse for the UK. But now?

I feel distinctly ill.
    That's what I mean actually, Leadsom is going to get a month to build up momentum and introduce herself to the members. Is going to be close, and the Tories are staring a Corbyn situation in the face.
    It would be highly amusing if Leadsom won among the membership.
  • Options
    I ask again, what the hell are MI5 doing all day?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Is that through frogs, locusts, termites, hurricanes, alien spaceships or the baby eaters?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,501
    SeanT said:

Which is nothing to do with Brexit. It is self-imposed by a peevish, petulant excuse for a Government who've decided to take their ball away because the other side won.
  • Options

Preparing for Indy Ref 2.
  • Options
    Fecking hell, 2 months of this shite now, and the bloody Tories still might put Leadsome in Number 10.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    surbiton said:

2nd round. May 199.

The Remainers are voting for a Remain candidate, by and large. The Brexiters are voting for theirs.

That would be all well and good if the two candidates were identical apart from their choice of Remain/Leave.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Why, you signed up to the Andrea Leadsom message that Brexit wouldn't impact on the UK economy.

Sack up you mewling quim
    I wouldn't take that lying down SeanT, :)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    surbiton said:

2nd round. May 199.

A very perceptive post - and this won't be lost on the tory faithful.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Starting to think the Tory leadership system is almost as bonkers as Labour's. There needs to be a threshold to get on the ballot. Consider this. If the result were:

May 327
    Leadsom 2
    Gove 1

Then the outcome would be (technically) the same.

I think Leadsom will win. She'll ride the anti-intellectual, anti-elite, anti-EU bandwagon, and win.

And that will be good for my bank account but a disaster for Britain.
  • Options
    Still, how do "progessive" Labour feel now? Still never had a woman leader, let alone a PM.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

84 of the MPs who voted for Leadsom used pens rather than pencils.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    edited July 2016
    AnneJGP said:

matt said:

Scott_P said:
    To be fair, given the turnover of staff at Barclays, I'd be surprised if anyone who was there at the same time as her is still there.
    When I changed jobs in "later life", one firm I'd worked for had gone through so many metamorpheses since that even the personnel department had no record of my ever having worked there. Can't be uncommon, especially if a firm goes out of business.
    As an IT contractor I found it difficult in January to find people who knew me at two of the companies I contracted at in the past 3 years. The one I left two years ago is just about understandable but in the case of the one I left six months earlier everyone had cleared out and gone to work for DWP directly....
  • Options

Fecking hell, 2 months of this shite now, and the bloody Tories still might put Leadsome in Number 10.

Andrea vs Jeremy will transport me back to my childhood when Thatcher faced Foot. Let it be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PCollinsTimes: After a round of TV interviews of excruciating incompetence, 84 Tory MPs think Andrea Leadsom should be PM. Extraordinary.

The incompetence was shown by the interviewers who failed to pin any accusations on Leadsom. Not even that she spoke directly to God.
  • Options
    Well, this is all very entertaining :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    On topic:-

As bad as Ms Leadsom's comments about Putin were, they weren't quite as bad as some of Liz Kendall's car-crash interviews in the last leadership contest.

Her answers to the economy questions in this interview really are pitifully banal and vacuous (from 3:14):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogeOqw4dTAA
  • Options
  • Options
    Indigo said:

James Kirkup
    @jameskirkup
    130 MPs who voted for Leadsom/Gove is v close to number who voted Leave. If she's PM, T May will have to work v hard to unite party.

If May's camp carry on putting the boot in for the next 6-8 weeks all it will do is guarantee 80 or so Tory MPs that won't vote for anything May wants to do when she gets elected PM.

It will be interesting now to see whom Michael Gove supports. My guess is Theresa May.

My guess is his holiday partner this summer, George Osborne.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited July 2016
    Edit: I just asked a stupid question. No really.

When is the members' vote? (Less stupid question)
  • Options

SeanT said:

That's what the Heathite's used to say about Margaret.
    Margaret Thatcher was a woman of absolute integrity and honesty.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Those "blue rinse" ladies would have been swinging in the sixties. Do they actually exist? About as rare as a kraken, I would guess.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So we now have X weeks of the great and the sneering of Westminster and the media pouring pontificating scorn onto Leadsome thus driving her into the hearts of the Con members.

Nobody has learned anything.
  • Options
    Expect a big push now to get expose Shariah May for her rotten track record and to put her on the spot over her real position on Brexit .At last the chance for a socially conservative government beckons.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

2nd round. May 199.

Just crunched the numbers. Of May's 173 declarations on ConHome, 121 supported Remain, 31 supported Leave, the remaining not declaring their position. So not an insignificant number.
  • Options
    How do women get away with wearing that in parliament when men have to wear suits and ties?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    If Leadsom wins, can we please have a new party which isn't completely bonkers?

This is what happens when political parties have fallen out of favour and only joined by the political obessives and we get nutters on both sides.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Pound Shop Macbeth: Dockside Hooker
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

So the Conservatives do believe in all-women shortlists after all.

Only when it's achieved on merit, presumably.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Expect a big push now to get expose Shariah May for her rotten track record and to put her on the spot over her real position on Brexit .At last the chance for a socially conservative government beckons.

Who the fuck wants a socially conservative government apart from bell-ends who support things like Sharia Law?
  • Options

How do women get away with wearing that in parliament when men have to wear suits and ties?
    Who gives a feck? What politicians wear in the house should be the least of our worries.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Gove not endorsing either May or Leadsom .... yet .... :smile:
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

2nd round. May 199.

Just crunched the numbers. Of May's 173 declarations on ConHome, 121 supported Remain, 31 supported Leave, the remaining not declaring their position. So not an insignificant number.
    Leadsom supporters - 41 Leave, 4 Remain, 3 undeclared. May uniting the party :D
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    84 idiots.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Even if your a Brexiteer, surely you can't want someone of Leadsom's low wattage ability as PM? Pure ideology.

No it gives us a chance to find out more about Leadsom. Believe me even as a Brexiteer I won't be voting for her if I deem her not up to it.
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    Comparing the leadbangers to momentum is a bit too much though isnt it? With Corbyn he had a long history and they knew they were electing a marxist. Leadsom is just an unknown upon whom (a bit like Brexit) people can project a fantasy of choice.

• Options

May is quite tall.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited July 2016
    Boris Johnson will be wanking himself to sleep with glee tonight.
  • Options

If Leadsom wins, can we please have a new party which isn't completely bonkers?

This is what happens when political parties have fallen out of favour and only joined by the political obessives and we get nutters on both sides.

scrapheap may be opening applications. No three quiders though
  • Options

SeanT said:

Sack up you mewling quim
    Yo, TSE!

LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

Suck it up, bitch!
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    RobD said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Andrew Cooper has called the Tory leadership election for Liam Fox by ten points.
    4m

titter
    Up to a point Lord Cooper.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

So we now have X weeks of the great and the sneering of Westminster and the media pouring pontificating scorn onto Leadsome thus driving her into the hearts of the Con members.

Nobody has learned anything.

I think it is possible that a relentless campaign against Leadsom would drive her support higher among the membership.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Who the fuck wants a socially conservative government apart from bell-ends who support things like Sharia Law?
    We managed for years before Blair ,Brown and Cameron and mass immigration
  • Options
    May's going to lose this. She's going up against someone who will be seen as the second coming of Thatcher being actively supported by Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/iainmcgill/status/751081722482221060

PB Tory smugness may be unbearable for the next few days... years!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    SJW and waycist are – to use @TSE's words – moron detectors...
  • Options

May is quite tall.
    :smiley:
  • Options

Comparing the leadbangers to momentum is a bit too much though isnt it? With Corbyn he had a long history and they knew they were electing a marxist. Leadsom is just an unknown upon whom (a bit like Brexit) people can project a fantasy of choice.

That's it, isn't it? A blank slate is a fabulous candidate that everyone can project their hopes onto (Mr Obama...) And Ms Leadsom is defenitely that. We know nothing of her beliefs, except that she used to think leaving the EU was a disaster, and now thinks it's awesome.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

2nd round. May 199.

Yes and it looks like Mrs May will win but the members I believe from surveys voted 2/3 for LEAVE.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AnneJGP said:

Only when it's achieved on merit, presumably.
    Anything achieved on merit is anathema to Harman. She's strictly for nepotism and prejudice.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016

Boris Johnson will be wanking himself to sleep with glee tonight.

how did you come up with a name like that Mr grab cocque :lol:
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. F, indeed. A positive campaign from May should win it for her.

And yet, we've seen how unpredictable these things can be.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

84 idiots.

Your beloved Brexit not going to plan?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: Farage endorsement underlines narrative emerging amongst May supporting MPs that Leadsom is the Corbyn of the Tories https://t.co/MGJm9ZP5I6
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I don't think that the economic news over the next few weeks is going to be entirely to Andrea Leadsom's advantage. See the final afternoon summary here:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/jul/07/pound-dollar-brexit-politicians-city-stock-markets-retail-live
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

May's going to lose this. She's going up against someone who will be seen as the second coming of Thatcher being actively supported by Boris Johnson.

I'm going all @SouthamObserver here.

I have backed Leadsome and think she will win. Conservative Party members are on a roll. They are not about to back boring old sensible politicians at this point.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Conservative Party members?
  • Options
    For light relief - Quentin nails Tony

His performance yesterday made for a remarkable but unredeeming spectacle, fascinating if only on a psychological level. Here was a once bellicose peacock stripped of its feathers. He still, even in this moment of political nakedness, managed to find notes of indignation, a persistent tenor tone of self-justification.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3677896/Oh-theatrics-eyes-squinting-distant-destiny-QUENTIN-LETTS-sees-performance-world-class-tragedian-fit-Drury-Lane.html#ixzz4DjfhpyGg
This discussion has been closed.