Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In many ways Andrea Leadsom looks like Britain’s Sarah Pali

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In many ways Andrea Leadsom looks like Britain’s Sarah Palin

The similarities with the former Alaska Governor are striking argues Keiran Pedley and therefore Theresa May is surely Britain’s next Prime Minister.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Wholeheartedly agree Keiran
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Second!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    What time is the ballot result ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What time is the ballot result ?

Around 4.30pm according to Sky News
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    This is superficial, but Leadsom's smirk is bloody irritating.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RosamundUrwin: Watching Leadsom a month ago: "What you'll find is on June 23 if we vote leave that [£ volatility] will settle down" https://t.co/mqXSx7t7FY

Well, she got "down" right...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Oh dear, I hadn't seen those Putin comments. Nothing about NATO, sanctions, talking to the US and our friends in the EU. Just a bit of a "well he's a naughty boy and I'd tell him off".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Polls close in 2 minutes.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Oh please let Pound Shop Macbeth get the bully-ramming he so richly deserves.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    I've not been good at betting on this Tory race - but felt that Gove was too long at the moment.

Is Andrea really going to get more votes than the Justice secretary on the second ballot?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    And yet she could still beat Gove. Tbh I am not really sure what is the point of this thread as we shall need a new one in the next hour or so when the results are known.
  • Options

This is superficial, but Leadsom's smirk is bloody irritating.

I enjoyed your post about Roman negotiation on the previous thread, thanks!
  • Options

And yet she could still beat Gove. Tbh I am not really sure what is the point of this thread as we shall need a new one in the next hour or so when the results are known.

PB works in mysterious ways.
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    I really think the MPs might put Give through, not tactically as such, I.e not to help May, but rather because they believe they have a responsibility to give the membership a choice of two plausible candidates who they could support if they won.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    MaxPB said:

Oh dear, I hadn't seen those Putin comments. Nothing about NATO, sanctions, talking to the US and our friends in the EU. Just a bit of a "well he's a naughty boy and I'd tell him off".

She should have said that she'd keep him in line with the offer of a free trade agreement once we're outside the EU. (And it would actually contain an element of truth.)
  • Options
    Sarah Palin never did anything in her life but surf the American right wing. Leadsom has held senior roles in several prestigious businesses. You Remainers are just unhinged.

I suppose its like a spoilt child who has a meltdown when they lose at monopoly. Everyone has to indulge her and let her win the next game so she feels better. One upside of May getting the nod will be those who can't take losing will feel they have won and start thinking objectively again.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    Hard to see how a Leave supporter is elected whichever one it is. As long as May accepts the Brexit brief, it won't matter.

That said, I think I'd still vote for Gove were I an MP today, purely to assist in keeping Leadsom off the ballot. May for the win.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If Andrea Leadsom gets through today, she will be the prime beneficiary of Stephen Crabb having withdrawn on Tuesday. If he had stayed in the race we would have had another weekend of such faux pas, which could only have reduced her chances of making the top two.
  • Options
    Mr. D, thanks :)

As you enjoyed it, here's a Spartan one.

Some Spartans were sent to hold talks with the Persians. They were asked if they came in a public or private capacity and answered, "If we succeed, public. If not, private."
  • Options
    DearPB said:

I really think the MPs might put Give through, not tactically as such, I.e not to help May, but rather because they believe they have a responsibility to give the membership a choice of two plausible candidates who they could support if they won.

Maybe worth a bet on Gove at 20/1.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    It's all well and good uniting the party, but we need a long-term strategy to weed out the liberals so we can pragmatically re-introduce mild socially conservative policies in a way that it is acceptable to the electorate. Ken Clarke resigning in 2020 is a good start but we need to use the boundary change as the opportunity to speed up the process.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FPT: Hannan tried to set the right tone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yadFh0R8E
  • Options

MaxPB said:

She should have said that she'd keep him in line with the offer of a free trade agreement once we're outside the EU. (And it would actually contain an element of truth.)
    There was talk in the Telegraph of China being interested in a deal. Surely that would be difficult given steel prices?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,297
    Con Home is continuing to record further MP declarations - every new declaration is for May - Leadsom and Gove are completely static. Public declarations are now:

May 169
    Leadsom 48
    Gove 27

(Undeclared - 86)

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/07/whos-backing-who-our-running-list-of-mps-supporting-each-leadership-candidate.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

That was the Cameron policy over the Litvinenko inquest, wasn't it?
  • Options
    @stuartmillar159: SCOOP: Andrea Leadsom’s Ugandan Project Has Ties To An Anti-Gay Christian Group https://t.co/1D3TUKFzKM via @jamesrbuk
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Sarah Palin never did anything in her life but surf the American right wing. Leadsom has held senior roles in several prestigious businesses. You Remainers are just unhinged.

I suppose its like a spoilt child who has a meltdown when they lose at monopoly. Everyone has to indulge her and let her win the next game so she feels better. One upside of May getting the nod will be those who can't take losing will feel they have won and start thinking objectively again.

Your admiration for the lovely Andrea and her ideology is blinding you to the less compelling aspects of her bid and campaign.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Many will say the comparison is sexist. Perhaps rightly.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    ‘Britain’s most awkward rally’.

Nonsense, it was a very British amble, very similar to shuffling forward in a post office queue.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    can't believe Leadsom has secured a role in government at all - all her candidature has done for me is highlight how poor the current crop of politicos is - the left of the labour party have gone from Foot to Corbyn and the right of the tory party from Joseph to Leadsom - in the middle are massed ranks of PR-based no marks and people who think Michael Gove is clever rather than just good at sounding smart to a certain sort of tory.

as a centre right socially liberal tory I think any party member who doesn't see May as the least bad candidate in the most difficult climate at least since Suez is just too sad for words, and I will despair for our country should we have the misfortune to be lumped with Leadsom as PM
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Scott_P said:

@stuartmillar159: SCOOP: Andrea Leadsom’s Ugandan Project Has Ties To An Anti-Gay Christian Group https://t.co/1D3TUKFzKM via @jamesrbuk

From the tweet that sounds pretty tenuous.

For example, I have ties to many frothing lefties through PB :D
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Even Tory members are not so stupid as to put Andrea straight into Number Ten. Surely?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con Home is continuing to record further MP declarations - every new declaration is for May - Leadsom and Gove are completely static. Public declarations are now:

May 169
    Leadsom 48
    Gove 27

(Undeclared - 86)

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/07/whos-backing-who-our-running-list-of-mps-supporting-each-leadership-candidate.html

The list of names for Leadsome could be involved in the sequel to Jurassic World.
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

can't believe Leadsom has secured a role in government at all - all her candidature has done for me is highlight how poor the current crop of politicos is - the left of the labour party have gone from Foot to Corbyn and the right of the tory party from Joseph to Leadsom - in the middle are massed ranks of PR-based no marks and people who think Michael Gove is clever rather than just good at sounding smart to a certain sort of tory. as a centre right socially liberal tory I think any party member who doesn't see May as the least bad candidate in the most difficult climate at least since Suez is just too sad for words, and I will despair for our country should we have the misfortune to be lumped with Leadsom as PM

You left out the allegations that she eats babies.
  • Options

Many will say the comparison is sexist. Perhaps rightly.

Isn't it because they are both perceived to be inexperienced? Nothing about gender....
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

can't believe Leadsom has secured a role in government at all - all her candidature has done for me is highlight how poor the current crop of politicos is - the left of the labour party have gone from Foot to Corbyn and the right of the tory party from Joseph to Leadsom - in the middle are massed ranks of PR-based no marks and people who think Michael Gove is clever rather than just good at sounding smart to a certain sort of tory.

as a centre right socially liberal tory I think any party member who doesn't see May as the least bad candidate in the most difficult climate at least since Suez is just too sad for words, and I will despair for our country should we have the misfortune to be lumped with Leadsom as PM

Back into the "anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot" fortress! How did that work out for you in the referendum?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

"Tory leadership hopeful Andrea Leadsom has organised a school exchange project for the last 10 years with a Ugandan centre co-run by an anti-gay Christian group that performs “gay cure” ministries and whose founder condemned homosexual love as “a sin”, BuzzFeed News can reveal.

Speaking in Parliament in 2013, Leadsom described the project she set up in 2006 with Richard Johnson, who “runs a fantastic youth centre in Uganda”, called the Discovery Centre. The project involves sending UK students to the centre for conferences and meetings."

Well, it's a link.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr. B2, they backed IDS.

That said, if we're discussing intelligence of membership, one might remark that Corbyn is hardly the epitome of greatness.

Edited extra bit: are the PLP actually going to challenge him?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky News Latest Numbers

May 174 .. Leadsom 52 .. Gove 28
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    I'd also suggest a comparison with Andy Burnham - someone badly found out by a leadership contest and the scrutiny that comes with it. However much more intense given the urgency.

Of course if she does come second, we have weeks of her record and past comments and views to look forward to.

Just a note on faith - all 5 of the Tory leadership candidates are open about their faith (good in my view) but none have been as wrong-footed in answering the inevitable questions that come with it, as Andrea Leadsom has. Surprised as you'd have thought she'd have faced this for years.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Look what they did to Crabb with the entirely bogus 'gay cure'.

Every time I start to have a high opinion of the human race, I sally off to Twitter and come back with my expectations thoroughly reset.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    RobD said:

There was talk in the Telegraph of China being interested in a deal. Surely that would be difficult given steel prices?

One big advantage of leaving the EU is that we can protect our steel industry with tariffs if necessary. Another is that we can do a Free Trade Deal with China. Or so we are told, often by the same person.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Now, that's what I call a petitio principii. Were they senior roles, or were they chief roles?

Not sure who the spoilt child in your analogy is, but I think you need to calm down and reflect that we are none of us Remainers any more.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

Plenty more left.
  • Options

RobD said:

One big advantage of leaving the EU is that we can protect our steel industry with tariffs if necessary. Another is that we can do a Free Trade Deal with China. Or so we are told, often by the same person.
    How about a free trade deal with everything but steel? :p
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,435
    Scott_P said:
    Her credibility such as it was is pretty shot now
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    John_M said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Every time I start to have a high opinion of the human race, I sally off to Twitter and come back with my expectations thoroughly reset.
    Whatever else you think of Cameron, he was 100% right with his adage about Twitter.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

China's actions in rolled steel have been worth of condemnation regardless. We haven't got the tariffs at the moment needed to protect against it.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

"Tory leadership hopeful Andrea Leadsom has organised a school exchange project for the last 10 years with a Ugandan centre co-run by an anti-gay Christian group that performs “gay cure” ministries and whose founder condemned homosexual love as “a sin”, BuzzFeed News can reveal.

Speaking in Parliament in 2013, Leadsom described the project she set up in 2006 with Richard Johnson, who “runs a fantastic youth centre in Uganda”, called the Discovery Centre. The project involves sending UK students to the centre for conferences and meetings."

Well, it's a link.
    But they sound like two seperate projects, unless the school exchange involves being cured of being gay?
  • Options
    Gove has lengthened from 18-25 on BF....
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

RobD said:

Wasn't it Britain that blocked EU tariffs against Chinese steel?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

Astonishing how few MPs have publicly declared for Gove.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:
    That article doesn't exactly contain any proof of the claims. Hearsay when Leadom's assertions could probably be contradicted with evidence if the journalist was serious.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, it's a link.
    For God's sake, virtually everyone in Africa is homophobic. I suppose the anti-Leadsom brigade would be happier if thise children received no help at all. Credit for Leadsom for spending time and effort to help the least among us. What has May done on this front?
  • Options

kingbongo said:

can't believe Leadsom has secured a role in government at all - all her candidature has done for me is highlight how poor the current crop of politicos is - the left of the labour party have gone from Foot to Corbyn and the right of the tory party from Joseph to Leadsom - in the middle are massed ranks of PR-based no marks and people who think Michael Gove is clever rather than just good at sounding smart to a certain sort of tory. as a centre right socially liberal tory I think any party member who doesn't see May as the least bad candidate in the most difficult climate at least since Suez is just too sad for words, and I will despair for our country should we have the misfortune to be lumped with Leadsom as PM

You left out the allegations that she eats babies.
    Happy with my rebuttal of your nonsense on the previous thread? Or do you want me to go further?
  • Options

JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

Plenty more left.
    75 undeclared. PM not voting.
  • Options
    I've said it before and I will continue to do so Andrea Leadsom is toxic. Any half decent opposition worth its name would destroy her - fortunately for her we have no such opposition so she may get away with it...for now.

As a Lib Dem I hope she wins as there's plenty of ammo to use against her...not so much with Theresa May
  • Options
    Liked this. I must say Iain Martin's site really is off to a great start. Quality articles pretty much every day.

http://reaction.life/uk-needs-special-trade-representative/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,045
    RobD said:

RobD said:

China would say no, obviously.

They want to be able to export things to us in which they have a competitive advantage.

In fact, if you look at China <-> Switzerland and USA <-> Australia, the smaller country had to open up their market a lot more than the bigger one.
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, yet it seems likely she'll make the final two.

If I were May, I'd pick Gove, but there we are.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    John_M said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Crabb's views on homosexuality change depending on his audience.

When it came to the vote, he sided with the bigots.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:
    Because of an anonymous quote?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    This is quite an apt comparison (assuming she doesn't win, of course).
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, it's a link.
    But they sound like two seperate projects, unless the school exchange involves being cured of being gay?
    Presumably the school/centre does that part and Leadsom wants schools to visit the centre.

I mean, it's not great, but it's not disastrous either.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    AndyJS said:

JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

Oh please, please let this be wrong and Gove is through rather than that woman.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Indigo said:

Thanks for posting that. I hope he succeeded.
  • Options

RobD said:

Wasn't it Britain that blocked EU tariffs against Chinese steel?
    Good point. The same people who say the first two things also tell us that the UK had no say in EU decisions. It's a three-way self-contradiction.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I love Dan Hannan. That's exactly the right tone. (Much, much better than Farage.)
  • Options

I've said it before and I will continue to do so Andrea Leadsom is toxic. Any half decent opposition worth its name would destroy her - fortunately for her we have no such opposition so she may get away with it...for now.

As a Lib Dem I hope she wins as there's plenty of ammo to use against her...not so much with Theresa May

Not against Corbyn and McDonnell.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,878

AndyJS said:

JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

"That woman"?
  • Options
    Gove out to 34 now...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

May is the only candidate to increase declared support from Round 1 figures despite two candidates exiting the contest.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Scott_P said:
    To be fair, given the turnover of staff at Barclays, I'd be surprised if anyone who was there at the same time as her is still there.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,435

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:
    Because of an anonymous quote?
    No volume of attacks. You can't fight a war on 5 dozen fronts.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Michael Gove can now be backed at 34 for next Conservative party leader on Betfair for large sums. Someone seems to think it's all over for him.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:
    Out of several thousand people who work at Barclays they managed to get two anonymous quotes, one from someone who never worked with her. We don't know who these people are, what their motivations are, or what their politics are. The level of confirmation bias you lot are suffering from is off the scale. I hope you never serve on a jury.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    edited July 2016

RobD said:

We could have done a steel deal in the EU but Cameron vetoed it.

Ironically the exchange rate is priobably Port Talbots biggest friend atm. Chinese steel has become 10% more expensive overnight
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

"That woman"?
    as opposed to "that other (bloody difficult) woman"
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Big chunk at 34.0 on Gove available here: https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.101193124

FWIW I have taken a little, but am wary!
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

Cheer up. There's still some talent around: Rory Stewart comes to mind.
  • Options

kingbongo said:

Back into the "anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot" fortress! How did that work out for you in the referendum?
    I don't know if you've noticed this, but a lot of Leavers on this board - including MaxPB and myself - have the same reservations about Leadsom.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    AnneJGP said:

Indigo said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yadFh0R8E

Seconded.

• Options

Michael Gove can now be backed at 34 for next Conservative party leader on Betfair for large sums. Someone seems to think it's all over for him.

I'm not going to bother, I think this a bayesian market now.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

If you can get Tim Whatshisname to generate some sort of public profile so people actually give him a hearing.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    tpfkar said:

I'd also suggest a comparison with Andy Burnham - someone badly found out by a leadership contest and the scrutiny that comes with it. However much more intense given the urgency.

Of course if she does come second, we have weeks of her record and past comments and views to look forward to.

Just a note on faith - all 5 of the Tory leadership candidates are open about their faith (good in my view) but none have been as wrong-footed in answering the inevitable questions that come with it, as Andrea Leadsom has. Surprised as you'd have thought she'd have faced this for years.

Yet Burnham remains in the Shadow Cabinet. Leadsom is, I think, unlikely to be in the Cabinet in 2 months time. I have my doubts about whether she will remain as an MP after the next GE.

A startling difference in talent pool.
  • Options

Big chunk at 34.0 on Gove available here: https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.101193124

FWIW I have taken a little, but am wary!

leak?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, what is the meaning of a bayesian market?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

I love Dan Hannan. That's exactly the right tone. (Much, much better than Farage.)
    I am a Hannanite. Sounds biblical. I like it. Not sure if he's a hard Brexiter. If so, he's a heretic! Burn him!
  • Options

Didn't last long. Now at 26.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

May 169
    Leadsom 48
    Gove 27

(Undeclared - 86)

The list of names for Leadsome could be involved in the sequel to Jurassic World.
    I've just noticed Steve Baker is backing Leadsom. Baker as CoE? :)

• Options

AnneJGP said:

Indigo said:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8yadFh0R8E

Seconded.

He's a good egg. Also enjoyed the French.
  • Options
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

JackW said:

Sky News Latest Numbers

May is the only candidate to increase declared support from Round 1 figures despite two candidates exiting the contest.
    previous contest suggest that MPs move from lower down to higher placed candidates. Carbb would have lost support.
  • Options
    Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Andrew Cooper has called the Tory leadership election for Liam Fox by ten points.
    4m

• Options

Maybe related to this tweet: @elliotttimes

Team Gove talking down prospects -Boles text did real damage they say
  • Options
    @Hayley_Barlow: Fmr colleague of @andrealeadsom: ‘She was a part-time assistant to the chief investment officer’ https://t.co/jSIs8MjilQ - intv #c4news 7pm
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Andrew Cooper has called the Tory leadership election for Liam Fox by ten points.
    4m

titter
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Well, it's a link.
    For God's sake, virtually everyone in Africa is homophobic. I suppose the anti-Leadsom brigade would be happier if thise children received no help at all. Credit for Leadsom for spending time and effort to help the least among us. What has May done on this front?
    I imagine that virtually anyone who does charitable work in Uganda will have dealings with people who are anti-gay.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Has Gove done it? Gloomy Leadsom faces, happy Gove ones
This discussion has been closed.