Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As expected Fox drops out

123457»

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    @Charles will be incandescent.
    Why? If someone is happy with the service that RBS provides, let them bank there.
    I use Adam & Co (which is a subsidiary of RBS), and I've been very happy.

Should I need a mortgage to trade up to something slightly more spacious, I'll be sure to talk to you first :)
    You could probably buy my entire village for that price. London. So crazy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    John_M said:

viewcode said:

timmo said:

We can devalue.. A lot if those poor countries in the Eurozone cant and they are stuffed!!

Yes. Their life savings are in a currency that doesn't lose its value. Appalling.
    Ahem. The Euro has depreciated considerably against the dollar since 2012. Currencies float. It's what they do. Or are we ONLY going to use the £? If so, carry on.

One of the UK's many issues is that 46% of UK households have less than £1,500 in savings. Robert will probably jump in and quote some ghastly savings rates stats if he feels moved to.
    If only they had put their savings abroad, they would all now have £1750
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    @saddened

Being around groups of pissed up blokes who start singing isn't my thing. Call me elitist of whatever. I've been on a couple of stag dos and loathed them with a vengeance.

That said, coked up City boys are worse. They don't sing....they just scream over each other.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    tyson said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

Labour planning "peace talks", shadow cabinet minister tells me, likening it to Northern Irish disarmament process.

So it'll take about 10 years and only a Canadian general will really know if he's gone at the end of it?
    It is so obvious the Corbynites in cahoots with Len and his chumps are playing for time.
    And why not. It's a week since the mass resignations and despite all the talk, no-one has come forward with a formal challenge despite the numbers being there to nominate three alternatives. It is a ludicrous position and Corbyn would be mad having survived this far not to be preparing rule changes at conference to enable his side to strike back. The MPs must know that so why haven't they launched their bid? (Because they can't find someone to head it but that too is frankly absurd).
    Who are the three? I have the mighty Eagle; thingy, the Welsh guy with specs who looks like a clerk, whose the third?

Well they don't have one, which is half the problem. But the point I was making - not particularly well perhaps, was that number who no-confidenced Corbyn is sufficient to nominate three candidates despite the high threshold.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I tend to take the view a high pound is not a symbol of the nation's virility, in fact it hits exporters and UK tourism so a relatively low £ for a short while is hardly a disaster

1) We haven't had a high pound for quite a while. A high pound is the Noughties £1=$2.1. Even the £1=$1.5 when the polls shut was pitiful.
    2) £1=$1.3 is not relatively low. £1=$1.3 is extraordinarily low.

The £ had a high of $1.577 over the last year
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/currency/default.stm

Again, unless you are going on holiday to the states or you buy a lot of goods from the states why is a low pound against the dollar of great concern? It may also encourage more Americans to visit London and the UK and help sell more British goods to the US
    Virtually everyone buys lots of goods in dollars. It's what oil is priced in.
    The cost of the average supermarket shop does not depend on the value of the dollar
    ISTR we import most of our food.
    We actually import a smaller proportion of our calories than we did in 1910.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

Labour planning "peace talks", shadow cabinet minister tells me, likening it to Northern Irish disarmament process.

So it'll take about 10 years and only a Canadian general will really know if he's gone at the end of it?
    It is so obvious the Corbynites in cahoots with Len and his chumps are playing for time.
    And why not. It's a week since the mass resignations and despite all the talk, no-one has come forward with a formal challenge despite the numbers being there to nominate three alternatives. It is a ludicrous position and Corbyn would be mad having survived this far not to be preparing rule changes at conference to enable his side to strike back. The MPs must know that so why haven't they launched their bid? (Because they can't find someone to head it but that too is frankly absurd).
    Who are the three? I have the mighty Eagle; thingy, the Welsh guy with specs who looks like a clerk, whose the third?

Well they don't have one, which is half the problem. But the point I was making - not particularly well perhaps, was that number who no-confidenced Corbyn is sufficient to nominate three candidates despite the high threshold.
    Didn't Corbyn win on the first round last time? What's to stop him doing so again? Knobbling the three-quidders?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    edited July 2016
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I tend to take the view a high pound is not a symbol of the nation's virility, in fact it hits exporters and UK tourism so a relatively low £ for a short while is hardly a disaster

1) We haven't had a high pound for quite a while. A high pound is the Noughties £1=$2.1. Even the £1=$1.5 when the polls shut was pitiful.

Again, unless you are going on holiday to the states or you buy a lot of goods from the states why is a low pound against the dollar of great concern? It may also encourage more Americans to visit London and the UK and help sell more British goods to the US
    The cost of the average supermarket shop does not depend on the value of the dollar
    Well that may encourage us to buy more British meat and fruit and vegetables again, no bad thing!
  • Options
    John_M said:

viewcode said:

timmo said:

We can devalue.. A lot if those poor countries in the Eurozone cant and they are stuffed!!

Yes. Their life savings are in a currency that doesn't lose its value. Appalling.
    Ahem. The Euro has depreciated considerably against the dollar since 2012. Currencies float. It's what they do. Or are we ONLY going to use the £? If so, carry on.

One of the UK's many issues is that 46% of UK households have less than £1,500 in savings. Robert will probably jump in and quote some ghastly savings rates stats if he feels moved to.
    Here you go: 2014 savings rates vs current account for various countries.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It's fantastic if you get paid in dollars but have a mortgage in Sterling :D

More seriously,
    £9 a pint! Good grief! Where is this Sandpit?

Good job Theresa May is teetotal with alcohol prices like that. By my calculations her net earnings after tax would limit her to just 23.5 pints a day. Hardly enough to see a Hague through to early evening.
    Dubai, UAE. The only bars are in 4* and 5* hotels, and there's LOTS of tax on them. No direct income tax here though, so I think of it as being 40% cheaper really :wink: We also chase the happy hours around town, if you can call £6 a pint in any way happy - mildly amusing hour maybe!

Singapore is even worse, it's £12 or £13 a pint there now with the recent drop in the pound.

On the positive side, petrol in Dubai is 33p a litre!
    Join the rugby club. Spent many a night tired and emotional there, for considerably less than hotel prices.
    But then are you not stuck all night with a bunch of Tory twat rugger buggers?

You're proving my point about you not being a nice person.

Comrade, spend a sober night in a pub with a bunch of pissed up rugger buggers. You might change your tune.
    I have on hundreds of occasions, I don't have a problem talking to soldiers, brick layers, lorry drivers, vets, policemen, unemployed lads and a multitude of others. Why do you, comrade?
    I am with tyson on this one. All of those people may be fine sober, but get them boozed up with an oval ball about the place and they turn into twats. Rugby is like Golf, a perfectly fine game played by twats.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    tyson said:

@saddened

Being around groups of pissed up blokes who start singing isn't my thing. Call me elitist of whatever. I've been on a couple of stag dos and loathed them with a vengeance.

That said, coked up City boys are worse. They don't sing....they just scream over each other.

Nice rowing back. Gone from being the worst thing, to just not your thing. You're already aware of my opinion of you, you're not doing much to change it
  • Options
    John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:
    Why? If someone is happy with the service that RBS provides, let them bank there.

Should I need a mortgage to trade up to something slightly more spacious, I'll be sure to talk to you first :)
    I bet that - when that house finally transacts - it will be for less than 10m.

@Charles: remember Syon Lodge :)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

tyson said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

Labour MP's do not quite seem as duplicitous as the Tories. They need to watch and learn as May backers manoeuvre Gove into a head to head eliminating Leadsom.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Not many people will be booking breaks in Florida or New York for a few months, they may take a break in Bath or Cornwall instead

For the person who wanted to go to Florida or New York, that is not a good thing.
    No but the UK economy will actually benefit from that break taken in Bath or Cornwall, it will not see any benefit from the emotional satisfaction of a tourist in Manhattan or Miami!
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    God doesnt anyone remember the parity parties thatbwere being arranged circa 1986 for STG/USD.
    I was trading cable at the time and it reached

That was it
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,354
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Sucks teeth. Flat roof. You're going to get leaks with that. Plus that fenestration, you'll have awful problems with heat management. May I suggest some nice curtains... :)

[Seriously. Why do people never put curtains in these things?]
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

viewcode said:

timmo said:

Here you go: 2014 savings rates vs current account for various countries.

I thank'ee. Learned a lot this last month or so. Economics can be fun!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,642
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

George Eaton

Labour MP's do not quite seem as duplicitous as the Tories. They need to watch and learn as May backers manoeuvre Gove into a head to head eliminating Leadsom.
    Yes, my guess is a Gove-May final two now.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

6/30-7/4
    2016 General Election
    Clinton 41% Trump 40%
    Morning Consult

Linky?
    http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/morning-consult-24822
    Crosby, my man, thank you... :)
  • Options
    tyson said:

@saddened

Stag do's are the worst.

Forced pace of drinking, unfunny practical jokes, mysogyny and vomit.

There only function is to make men look forward to marriage so they can escape all that crap.
  • Options
    "I urge the Government to look carefully at scrapping the entire burden of regulation on micro-businesses with, say, three employees or fewer. I envisage there being absolutely no regulation whatsoever—no minimum wage, no maternity or paternity rights, no unfair dismissal rights, no pension rights"

Project Fear ? No - Andrea Leadsom, House of Commons 10/05/2012
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,089

saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

It's fantastic if you get paid in dollars but have a mortgage in Sterling :D

More seriously,
    £9 a pint! Good grief! Where is this Sandpit?

Good job Theresa May is teetotal with alcohol prices like that. By my calculations her net earnings after tax would limit her to just 23.5 pints a day. Hardly enough to see a Hague through to early evening.
    Dubai, UAE. The only bars are in 4* and 5* hotels, and there's LOTS of tax on them. No direct income tax here though, so I think of it as being 40% cheaper really :wink: We also chase the happy hours around town, if you can call £6 a pint in any way happy - mildly amusing hour maybe!

Singapore is even worse, it's £12 or £13 a pint there now with the recent drop in the pound.

Join the rugby club. Spent many a night tired and emotional there, for considerably less than hotel prices.

Comrade, spend a sober night in a pub with a bunch of pissed up rugger buggers. You might change your tune.
    I have on hundreds of occasions, I don't have a problem talking to soldiers, brick layers, lorry drivers, vets, policemen, unemployed lads and a multitude of others. Why do you, comrade?
    I am with tyson on this one. All of those people may be fine sober, but get them boozed up with an oval ball about the place and they turn into twats. Rugby is like Golf, a perfectly fine game played by twats.
    Depends if they're happy drunks or angry drunks.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,027
    edited July 2016
    Paging Robert, you might wish to have words with the Daily Mail about the husbands who fly in first class whilst their wives sit in peasant class

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/750438341825396736
  • Options
    Surely the deval will push house prices in london up as overseas investors see a cheap asset opportunity
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

tyson said:

saddened said:

Sandpit said:

stjohn said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

You're absolutely correct of course. Medical students are renowned for being paragon's of virtue while sipping a nice glass of dry sherry. They are in no way ever pains in the arse
  • Options

"I urge the Government to look carefully at scrapping the entire burden of regulation on micro-businesses with, say, three employees or fewer. I envisage there being absolutely no regulation whatsoever—no minimum wage, no maternity or paternity rights, no unfair dismissal rights, no pension rights"

We had a chat about this wheeze this morning. General consensus: sounds good for about 15 seconds and then drowns in a sea of whataboutery.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,232
    To be fair to him, Carney was the only man with a plan on the morning of 24th June, as everyone else was too shell shocked at the result of the referendum!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

That is truly horrible!

Adam & Co is still better than Coutts - Drummonds used to be the best, but that has virtually been phased out now from the RBS stable. Child's also used to be great - pretty much only a cheque book these days.

I do like Gosling's logo though!
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Football Trivia -

The 4 teams left in the 2016 Euro championship Germany.France,Wales and Portugal.

Engand has beaten all four in the last 12 months -

17 nov 2015 Engand 2 - 0 France

26 mar 2016 Germany 2 - 3 England

2 june 2016 England 1 - 0 Portugal

16 june 2016 England 2 - 1 Wales.

That is indeed an amazing fact!
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

tyson said:

@saddened

Stag do's are the worst.

Forced pace of drinking, unfunny practical jokes, mysogyny and vomit.

There only function is to make men look forward to marriage so they can escape all that crap.
    Check out a wee milly hen night in Belfast. I've seen a fair amount of unpleasant and dodgy stuff in my time but I move well out of the way when I see one of those in a bar.
  • Options
    John_M said:

We had a chat about this wheeze this morning. General consensus: sounds good for about 15 seconds and then drowns in a sea of whataboutery.
    Can you imagine the problems trying to recruit? "come work for me, you won't get paid if you're sick, or if you get pregnant, or if you want to go on holiday...oh and I may sack you without notice"

She's off her tiny head
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

To be fair to him, Carney was the only man with a plan on the morning of 24th June, as everyone else was too shell shocked at the result of the referendum!
    He didnt have a plan.. He was sent out to spare the blushes of GO.
    Its easier for him he is not British although he has taken the Kings shilling
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I'd be an angry drunk if I had to live in Dubai.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

John_M said:

Can you imagine the problems trying to recruit? "come work for me, you won't get paid if you're sick, or if you get pregnant, or if you want to go on holiday...oh and I may sack you without notice"

She's off her tiny head
    What does a three person business really look like? I mean, most will be partnerships which will have no protection either.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

Did Syon Lodge ever sell?

I quite liked the medieval fireplace ... it was just those pesky aeroplanes

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjj19uQot3NAhXBLsAKHUoKALkQFggvMAI&url=http://www.21stcenturygroup.co.uk/pdf/Syon-Brochure.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFnTSCJyqbdi7I5Ck0oiJ9jaWnFew
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Charles said:

Two more years than Gove
    Four more years than Leadsom
    IIRC, same as Cameron.

holding herself to the equivalent standard.
    Cameron and Osborne published theirs all the way back to 2009/2010.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Surely the deval will push house prices in london up as overseas investors see a cheap asset opportunity

Estate Agents win as ever then
  • Options
    What a choice May or Leadsom? One hasn't ruled out repatriation of EU residents living in the UK and the other wants to return employment law to the 19th century.

• Options

John_M said:

She's off her tiny head
    In her defence, my tiny two-person consultancy did consider hiring an admin bod, but the HR stuff just turned us off. We wouldn't have been looking to exploit somebody and it wouldn't have been minimum wage. It's really tough to be a micro business. Most never grow for precisely the reasons I've given.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Well that may encourage us to buy more British meat and fruit and vegetables again, no bad thing!
    I've noticed I've spent most of the night responding to your posts, so I'll desist lest it be thought personal. But before I go, I need to point out that even during WWII, with the UK-resident population less than half what it is today, rationing, enormous investment in allotments, and a population well used to growing food in the garden, we were nowhere near food self-sufficiency.
  • Options
    timmo said:

So who are all these sellers that just forced three separate property unit trusts to suspend dealing?
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

She's off her tiny head
    In her defence, my tiny two-person consultancy did consider hiring an admin bod, but the HR stuff just turned us off. We wouldn't have been looking to exploit somebody and it wouldn't have been minimum wage. It's really tough to be a micro business. Most never grow for precisely the reasons I've given.
    I have a two employee business also..in general terms you get back from the staff what you put in
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I've noticed I've spent most of the night responding to your posts, so I'll desist lest it be thought personal. But before I go, I need to point out that even during WWII, with the UK-resident population less than half what it is today, rationing, enormous investment in allotments, and a population well used to growing food in the garden, we were nowhere near food self-sufficiency.
    Not enough rabbits.
  • Options
    timmo said:

That's an interesting question, and that's certainly what is being pushed by London's estate agents.

I disagree.

Firstly, people don't appreciate how thin the prime London property market is. There were something like 1,500 house sales over 2m in London in 2015. That compares to about 30-50,000 houses that are valued above that level. In other words, the top end of the market only sees turnover of 3-5% each year. It only takes a small number of buyers to walk away, or a small number of people to attempt to realise profits, to move the market quite considerably. (A lot of these homes are owned by French or Italian finance professionals, if they get moved to Paris or Frankfurt, those properties will end up on the market.)

Secondly, the London property market has been seen as the ultimate "blue chip" asset. And it its safety has been defined by the fact you never* lost money in it. Singaporeans buying off-plan apartments in Victoria look at charts that go from bottom left to top right. If the chart doesn't look like that anymore, they're not suddenly going to think the value has improved, they'll think the risk has increased. With rental yields likely to fall meaningfully (fewer expats in London), that removes another leg of support.

* Well, not since the early 1990s
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It's not that bad here, honest. Especially if you can afford to get drunk at £9 a pint! :)

Next two days are public holidays (Eid Mubarak to @TSE and other Muslims on PB) then I'm heading out of town for a couple of weeks to escape the heat and humidity!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

timmo said:

So who are all these sellers that just forced three separate property unit trusts to suspend dealing?
    The investment vehicles in question own actual buildings. It's standard practice not to let everyone rush for the exits because you're then forced into a fire-sale, screwing your investors in the process. It's the downside of investing in something that illiquid.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Charles said:

Two more years than Gove
    IIRC, same as Cameron.

9/10
    10/11
    11/12
    12/13
    13/14
    (this was pre election so 14/15 wasn't available)

So 5 vs 4 - not that too much of a difference
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Nobody is saying we need to be self-sufficient, most people will still buy some of their food from abroad, especially the wealthy but if more people buy more British beef, British apples, British wine etc as a result of a low £ that again will boost British farmers and vineyards
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

It's not that bad here, honest. Especially if you can afford to get drunk at £9 a pint! :)

Next two days are public holidays (Eid Mubarak to @TSE and other Muslims on PB) then I'm heading out of town for a couple of weeks to escape the heat and humidity!
    Thank you, I'm not looking forward to it.

Is one of the two days a year I have to pretend to be a very good, devout Muslim
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjj19uQot3NAhXBLsAKHUoKALkQFggvMAI&url=http://www.21stcenturygroup.co.uk/pdf/Syon-Brochure.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFnTSCJyqbdi7I5Ck0oiJ9jaWnFew
    I believe it did, although for around 4.25 I think. I thought it an amazing place, but my wife didn't like the location much. (She also said it was ridiculously big, and she'd never be able to find me or the kids.)
  • Options
    Awesome pun on the front page of The Sun

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/750442056439439360
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

She's off her tiny head
    I have a two employee business also..in general terms you get back from the staff what you put in
    It would have been nice to negotiate something that suited us all, without worrying about regulation. However, it's moot. No one took Leadsom up on her idea, so it's just a Twitter stick to beat her with now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,580
    Just catching up, Fox backed May? Didn't see that coming.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

The investment vehicles in question own actual buildings. It's standard practice not to let everyone rush for the exits because you're then forced into a fire-sale, screwing your investors in the process. It's the downside of investing in something that illiquid.
    Thank you, but I think I had worked it through to that point already. My point was that there is clearly an army of people suddenly wanting to sell.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Football Trivia -

The 4 teams left in the 2016 Euro championship Germany.France,Wales and Portugal.

My favourite bit of Euro 16 footy trivia is that when Andy King (pbuh) came on wearing the number 8 for Wales on Friday, for the first time in living memory a football team were playing wearing consecutive numbers 1 to 11.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

John_M said:

I believe it did, although for around 4.25 I think. I thought it an amazing place, but my wife didn't like the location much. (She also said it was ridiculously big, and she'd never be able to find me or the kids.)
    Darn - I thought it was fab - my wife vetoed it as well :)
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Charles said:

JonathanD said:

Charles said:

Two more years than Gove
    IIRC, same as Cameron.

9/10
    10/11
    11/12
    12/13
    13/14
    (this was pre election so 14/15 wasn't available)

So 5 vs 4 - not that too much of a difference
    No 6 years total - returns were published after Panama leak in April this year - so 2014/15 was available.

http://order-order.com/2016/04/09/read-camerons-tax-returns/

But I am boring myself now.
  • Options
    John_M said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

I have always thought that REITS were a bit of a ponzi scheme. Each yr the asset is valued up and the difference paid out in a dividend.
    Realistically nothing has happened except a reval.
    Accident waiting to happen
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

John_M said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

Thank you, but I think had worked it through to that point already. My point was that there is clearly an army of people wanting to sell.
    My question would be why they were still invested in the first place. Klaxons have been wailing on commercial property for months. Brexit is hurrying trends that were blindingly obvious since c. 2014.

And on that portentous note, goodnight all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Personal friends. The carry over from Crabb should be 75%, maybe more; but not for Fox.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Crabb too - perhaps there is something to experience over tribalism?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,039

Paging Robert, you might wish to have words with the Daily Mail about the husbands who fly in first class whilst their wives sit in peasant class

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/750438341825396736

If Theresa does win The Rant will certainly enjoy analyzing her wardrobe, hair, shoes, etc. On a daily basis.

Loads of puff pieces initially but then, when things go sour, the claws will come out with Amanda Platell and Liz Jones...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382
    Sandpit said:

I sent my CV in to a professional CV firm the other day, curious to see what they'd do to it. They changed "Served on the Northern Ireland Select Committee during the period of the peace process" to "Transformed the economy and political system of Northern Ireland". :)

If that's how people write CVs, Carney can claim to have prevented the mooted collapse of Western civilisation and World War 3.
  • Options
    timmo said:

John_M said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

I have always thought that REITS were a bit of a ponzi scheme. Each yr the asset is valued up and the difference paid out in a dividend.
    I'm not sure that's how REITs work, I thought the dividend was calculated from net operating cash flow, which was derived from rental income less operating expenses and tax. You are then obliged to pay out 90% of that.

Firms publish a NAV, based on a cap rate, but that is different from their accounting profit and their dividend payment.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

kle4 said:

Or cynicism -- back the winner to get a good job.
  • Options
    timmo said:

It's a good point, and it might happen.

Factors working against it are 1) the low £ makes rental income worth less (why lend somebody dollars to buy a BTL in London when he will pay you back in pounds) and 2) less economic activity in UK further lowering returns, and 3) lack of confidence.

Factors working for it are 1) Short-term increase in inward migration resulting in increased demand. 2) Lower currency making property cheaper.

Estate agent goss is a dramatic recent drop in completions as investors took fright, but that might be a short sharp shock.

If you want my guess, they'll drop noticeably until September, but then may recover: house prices are seasonal and that would fit the pattern. But I've been wrong before... :)
  • Options
    Interesting tweet from The Sun's political editor.

The more I think about it, Stephen Crabb is the ideal candidate for working class Tories like myself that really warmed to David Cameron's One Nation Toryism

@tnewtondunn: Final thought on @scrabbmp: a thoroughly decent man who fought the right One Nation campaign and goes with dignity. He will be PM one day.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Thank you, I'm not looking forward to it.

Is one of the two days a year I have to pretend to be a very good, devout Muslim
    I'll guess you've not been fasting for the last month then!

If it's any consolation, there will be plenty of Christians posting here that get dragged to church at Easter and Christmas, think of it as doing your bit for the greater good of familial harmony.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,580

kle4 said:

One would hope so, but I never underestimate tribalism. I'll be wrong sometimes, but nowhere near as much I'm right.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Football Trivia -

My favourite bit of Euro 16 footy trivia is that when Andy King (pbuh) came on wearing the number 8 for Wales on Friday, for the first time in living memory a football team were playing wearing consecutive numbers 1 to 11.
    Another stunning fact!
  • Options

The more I think about it, Stephen Crabb is the ideal candidate for working class Tories like myself that really warmed to David Cameron's One Nation Toryism

@tnewtondunn: Final thought on @scrabbmp: a thoroughly decent man who fought the right One Nation campaign and goes with dignity. He will be PM one day.

Under Theresa May, he could easily be appointed to one of the offices of state within this parliament.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

kle4 said:

Or cynicism -- back the winner to get a good job.
    Indeed JohnL - but spotting which side your bread is potentially buttered is also a factor here.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options

Is it mere conincidence that the two guys who have been eliminated are named after animals?

One for the LuckyGuys and fellow tin hatters to mull over.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606
    Jobabob said:

Football Trivia -

That is indeed an amazing fact!</blockquote

Slightly irrelevant stats in the circumstances?
    Come on Wales!!!!!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,382

Running both Eagle and Smith against Jezza turns it into a proper contest rather than a coup. Sounds good to me. It is by AV so not at risk of splitting the vote.

Worked really well last year, with three of them. All they still need is, uh, something to say.

I gather that a compromise is in the works, with Corbyn potentially agreeing to step down sometime before 2020 in return for an end to the current blood feud.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,583

kle4 said:

Personal friends. The carry over from Crabb should be 75%, maybe more; but not for Fox.
    I would guess 30 of Crabbs ought to switch to May. I can reckon a few from Fox. May ought to be around or above 200 next time out.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,583

Indeed, Theresa ought to stick him in the Home Office get him to introduce gender neutral passports which will gain him kudos in the trans and intersex communities. Plus being a senior cabinet minister will position him for next time which won't be more than 5-6 years.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606

As Crabbe is my MP,I am sure myself and my labour colleagues will do everything in our power to stop that happening at the next general election.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    rcs1000 said:

timmo said:

John_M said:

IanB2 said:

timmo said:

I'm not sure that's how REITs work, I thought the dividend was calculated from net operating cash flow, which was derived from rental income less operating expenses and tax. You are then obliged to pay out 90% of that.

Firms publish a NAV, based on a cap rate, but that is different from their accounting profit and their dividend payment.
    That's my understanding too
This discussion has been closed.